FRIENDS WILL BE FRIENDS / SEVEN SEAS OF RHYE

- John Deacon / bass
- Roger Taylor / drums, vocals

7'' EMI

Thanks to clarke2001 for the addition

QUEEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUEEN Friends Will Be Friends / Seven Seas of Rhye Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)
Box set
News of the World [Vinyl]News of the World [Vinyl]
Collector's Edition
FONTANA HOLLYWOOD 2009
Vinyl$14.16

More places to buy QUEEN music online Buy QUEEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUEEN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUEEN Friends Will Be Friends / Seven Seas of Rhye ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(0%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(0%)

QUEEN Friends Will Be Friends / Seven Seas of Rhye reviews

Review by clarke2001
2 stars A more obvious choice for a single, 'Friends Will Be Friends' made its way to the UK chart in 1986. As a song, it's a decent pop tune, not the best on the 'A Kind Of Magic', but perhaps the most coherent. I was never too fond of it, I have to admit, although I am a QUEEN fan and I love the majority of their output, regardless of an era or a style. It contains band's trademark signatures - easily recognizable May's guitar solo, Freddie's excellent vocals performance, even a chord progressions and a change of pace within the song are instantly recognizable.

As for the B side, I don't have any complaints about the actual song per se- it's "Seven Seas Of Rhye" from their second album, but choice is a bit awkward. I'm sure they were trying to increase the sales of older albums, so this is logical as a financial move. As an artistic one...I'm afraid they were well aware of the fact that the current album contains a lot of weak material, so they were delving their own, artistically much superior musical history. Such a strategy will became a commonplace from that period onwards. Pity. Pity for more reasons.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#215402) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars QUEEN has never been among my favourite bands, but whenever there's a concert by them on the TV, I usually enjoy watching it (partly for the nostalgia, because they were all over the place in my teen years). I think they are at their best on the stage. Their music is in itself full of pretentious grandiosity and muscle, very suitable for live presence, Freddie Mercury doing his over-the-top cocky gestures and Brian May as the ultimate guitar hero...

I remember the live album these tracks are taken from. It was full of high energy and the songs followed each other in breathtaking continuity. 'Friends Will Be Friends' (from A Kind of Magic) is a powerful, near-sentimental anthem celebrating friendship, and a guaranteed show highlight. Short and sharp 'Seven Seas of Rhye' represented the early and more progressive Queen material, and this live version is very fast especially on the piano riff. I don't remember in full all the contents of the live album, but these two tracks were among the strongest ones. Unlike a previous reviewer, I have no complaints about the way they turned into their oldies, quite the opposite, it's only positive.

But who ever needs singles from concerts?

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#758819) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 26, 2012

2 stars One song from A KIND OF MAGIC paired with (for some unknown reason), with another from the distant past of Queen when they could be considered Progressive. "Friends WIll Be Friends" is pretty run-of -the -mill modern Queen with lyrics that are a bit sappy. Good choice for a single, though. "Se ... (read more)

Report this review (#306098) | Posted by mohaveman | Friday, October 22, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of QUEEN "Friends Will Be Friends / Seven Seas of Rhye"