ON THE DOUBLE

Barry Hay Flute, Vocals
George Kooymans Guitar, Vocals
Cesar Zuiderwijk Drums

LP Polydor # 2236823

GOLDEN EARRING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GOLDEN EARRING On The Double Music

LP from heaven from hell ~ USD $28.41
LP moontan ~ USD $22.58
CD on the double ~ USD $13.75
CD seven tears ~ USD $13.75

More places to buy GOLDEN EARRING music online Buy GOLDEN EARRING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GOLDEN EARRING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GOLDEN EARRING On The Double ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(0%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(0%)

GOLDEN EARRING On The Double reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars As its title stands, this is a double album from the flying Dutchmen. Not so usual at the time to release a double album. But the band is quite prolific in those remote days. So, here we go for about seventy minutes of GE music.

Although the mellowish opener ''Rudy'', seems to indicate that we will have the same stuff than in their prior albums, it is misleading. Still, the rocking ''Goodbye Mama'' is well in-line with their Beatles- oriented music that they have played so far. The funny part about this song is that the riff reminds me of Keith Richards. Some sort of Beatles-Stones composition! Not bad at all, actually.

This record starts quite acoustically: ''Murdock'' is frankly Dylan-like. Completely folkish and not my cup of tea as you might know (''High In The Sky'' is about of the same stuff but with smooth and fine percussion).

The longer ''Just A Little Bit of Peace In my Heart'' is more elaborate (although in the same vein). I particularly dislike the wind instrument passage as well of the extensive use of orchestrations. GE even goes funky with the average ''The Sad Story.''. Nothing really thrilling so far to say the least.

The first very good moment IMO is the fine ''Remember My Friend'': a catchy melody, strong vocals and an excellent guitar break reminiscent of ''While My Guitar Gently Weeps'' from whom you might have heard. Too short, unfortunately.

This double album is quite monotonous to listen to from start to finish. Only here and there some better songs than average but not really enough to call this a good album. If you like the folkish atmosphere of the late sixties, you might well be interested in this work though.

As far as I am concerned, I prefer the rocking angles here: ''Backbiting Baby'' is a great heavy rock song. As Atomic Rooster could provide. The backing organ is extremely pleasant and adds a great value to the whole. The final section is totally wild, psychedelic and heavy. One of my fave here together with ''Songs on A Devil's Servant'': a solid, powerful rock song featuring a great beat and some guitar virtuosity.

The pop-rock experience is also present on this album, but none of '' I'm A Runnin'' or ''I Sing My Song'' can be considered as a highlight of course. What must be mentioned though is the very good vocal performance from Barry Hay. All the way through (but especially during the quiet ''The Grand Piano'').

The worse moment is reached with the country-like ''Mitch Mover''. Press next. But I can't say that '' Pam Pam...'' is much better: some sort of ''Poppa Joe'' repetition, but much, much less catchy.

This is an average album. More elaborate than its predecessors, it shows from time to time some inclination for a harder and heavier music that announce future works. But the true GE is not that far yet.

Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#214537) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 09, 2009

Post a review of GOLDEN EARRING "On The Double"