MERLIN - BARD OF THE UNSEEN

Buy KAYAK Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Merlin (7:50)
2. Tintagel (2:49)
3. The Future King (2:58)
4. The Sword in the Stone (3:43)
5. When the Seer looks away (4:18)
6. Branded (3:51)
7. At Arthur's Court (3:15)
8. The Otherworld (7:59)
9. The Purest of Knights (5:48)
10. Friendship and love (5:13)
11. The King's Enchanter (2:31)
12. Niniane (7:08)
13. The Last Battle (8:11)
14. Avalon (3:44)

- Bert Veldkamp / bass guitar
- Joost Vergoossen / electric & acoustic guitars
- Cindy Oudshoorn / lead & backing vocals

Kayak KAY17

KAYAK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KAYAK Merlin - Bard of the Unseen Music

Last EncoreLast Encore
Universal Int'l 2002
Starlight DancerStarlight Dancer
Universal Uk/Zoom 2010
Kayak + Old Man And The Sea JAPAN MINI LP EMPTY PROMO BOX (no CD) US $49.99 Buy It Now 59m 19s
KAYAK-See See The Sun Netherlands Prog Japan LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
KAYAK Keep The Change b/w Ivory Dence STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
1978 KAYAK I Want You To Be Mine 7" 45 rpm PROMO Janus J-2274 Stereo Mono NM- US $6.00 Buy It Now 8h 23m
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT 180GM LP VINYL NEW US $38.11 Buy It Now 10h 22m
Ray Great Big Band Brown - Kayak [CD New] US $17.25 Buy It Now 11h 53m
KAYAK - SEE SEE THE SUN - NEW CD US $14.97 Buy It Now 12h 20m
Kayak - Eyewitness +2B CD *SEALED* SI WAN / RARE US $13.49 Buy It Now 14h 46m
JNS-7039 KAYAK Phantom Of The Night OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 25m
EMI-25828 KAYAK Best Of OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $12.99 Buy It Now 15h 26m
KAYAK EMI HARVEST RECORDS SHSP-4036 US $0.99 [1 bids]
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT JANUS RECORDS JXS-7039 US $0.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK STARLIGHT DANCER JANUS RECORDS 3XS7034 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Kayak Starlight Dancer LP US $4.00 Buy It Now 22h 17m
KAYAK starlight dancer Lp RECORD 1977 US $9.75 Buy It Now 22h 58m
Kayak. Phantom of the night. Janus records JXS7039.~Vinyl NM~Shrink US $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Kayak- Eyewitness + 3 bonus tracks (SHM-CD) Mini Lp ((Camel, Earth and fire) US $36.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK I Want You To Be Mine VG+ 45 RPM US $0.05 [0 bids]
KAYAK - "Periscope Life" LP 1980 ORIG 1st US PROMO w/INSERT - No UPC US $22.88 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK - "Phantom Of The Night" LP 1978 US 1st WL PROMO - JANUS - w/INNER US $22.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak - Eyewitness + 2 BT 1981 LTD cd Ton Scherpenzeel Earth and Fire Ayreon RAR US $22.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak SEALED Picture Disc LP Phantom In The Night 1978 Prog Numbered Mint US $44.99 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK: Periscope Life (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK / The OLD MAN & THE SEA - PROMO BOX SET w/4 JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD US $134.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK ( PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT ) 1978 ISSUED VG+ LP US $2.29 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK: Best Of LP (Netherlands, sl cw) Rock & Pop US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK 'PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT' US IMPORT LP US $33.14 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak 45 I WANT YOU TO BE MINE / IRENE inst. ~ Janus VG+ prog pop rock US $3.28 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak - Royal Bed Bouncer (NEW CD) US $18.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak - Phantom Of The Night (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $34.80 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK LP PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT JANUS WHITE LABEL PROMO US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT VERTIGO 45 IMPORT FREE COMBINED U.S. SHIP US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK 'Ruthless Queen' 1978 Dutch 7"/45 vinyl single US $6.61 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak: Ivory Dance / Keep the Change [Unplayed Copy] US $11.97 Buy It Now 3 days
? Kayak - Phantom of the Night (Janus 7039) (sealed) (a Dutch group) US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak-Eyewitness + Merlin 2 cds in slipcase Dutch prog US $16.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK SEAGULL VERTIGO 45 & PS FREE COMBINED U.S. SHIPPING US $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
CD-Kayak-The Very Best of dutch prog psych US $8.99 [0 bids]
Original Hits by Kayak -- NEW CD Import Rock Netherlands US $50.00 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK SEE SEE THE SUN RARE OOP CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Night Vision - Kayak New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $53.52 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK - Ass - 12" US $17.56 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK STARLIGHT DANCER LP 531 US $8.99 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK "Royal Bed Bouncer" Original LP NICE COPY US $2.49 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK The Last Encore 2002 remastered CD NEW / UNPLAYED US $15.85 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK "PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT" 8 Track! Brand New!! Sealed US $5.00 Buy It Now 5 days
SEALED 1978 KAYAK Phantom of the Night LP Jonus Records US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night LP 1979 Janus Records Made in Canada Vinyl VG+/VG US $6.29 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK ~ SAME S/T ~ UK HARVEST WHITE LABEL TEST LP - 1ST PRESS 1/1 ~ DUTCH PROG US $323.25 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak - Phantom of the Night - Prog Rock/Pop NM-1978 Janus Rare Orig OOP US $2.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK LP PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT 1979 JANUS US $16.25 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK "Starlight Dancer" LP VG, Lyric sleeve! 1977 US $5.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Eyewitness by Kayak (Mar-1999,Pseudonym Records(Netherlands))/new cd/2 bonus trk US $9.79 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night 1978 , Janus Record JXS - 7039, Sealed US $5.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK ROYAL BED BOUNCER 1975 LP JANUS JXS 7023 US $9.98 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK WANT YOU BE MINE IRENE UNPLAYED? 7 in 45rpm INTL SHIP DEALS p242 US $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak "Phantom Of The Night" 1979 Janus Promo LP US $3.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK, 70s progressive rock DJ 7" 45 KEEP THE CHANGE on Janus US $7.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK - PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT - NEW, SEALED VINYL LP IMPORT 2012 US $40.99 Buy It Now 6 days
1979 KAYAK Keep The Change / Same 7" 45 rpm PROMO Janus J-278 NM Vinyl P/S US $3.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak, Starlight Dancer/Janus JXS 7034/Picture Sleeve/LP 1977/In Shrinkwrap US $3.00 [0 bids]
KAYAK Periscope vinyl LP 1980 prog US $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak Keep The Change bw Same WLP 45 promo single Janus J-278 US $4.97 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak / Starlight Dancer White Label Promo Janus US LP Dutch Rock Vinyl Pressing US $4.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak See the Sun LP Harvest ST 11305 Prog Folk US $12.00 [0 bids]
KAYAK/IRENE/I WANT YOU TO BE MIND/JANUS 45 RPM RECORDS US $1.99 [0 bids]
Kayak- Starlight Dancer- new/sealed 8 Track tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak - See See The Sun NEW CD US $16.15 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak - Kayak NEW CD US $16.15 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak - Royal Bed Bouncer NEW CD US $16.15 Buy It Now 7 days
Brown, Ray Great Big Band Kayak CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak - Starlight Dancer (1977 Janus Records/GRT Music Tapes) Used 8-Track Tape US $3.50 Buy It Now 7 days
2- KAYAK nm, prog lp's, one price, BOTH IN SHRINK US $16.95 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK - I WANT YOU TO BE MINE - RARE - 7" - URUGUAY US $25.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Max Werner Seasons Raido Records LP 1981 Kayak Progressive DJTS US $4.99 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK - MERLIN: BARD OF THE UNSEEN - NEW CD US $15.61 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK total loss 7" b/w what's done is done (6017103) pic slv dutch vertigo 1980 US $8.27 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak-Eyewitness Dutch prog cd 2 bonus tracks US $9.99 Buy It Now 7 days
CD-Kayak-The Very Best of dutch prog psych US $8.99 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT 180GM LP VINYL RECORD NEW US $43.99 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK "STARLIGHT DANCER" 33 RPM VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM US $9.95 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak ?- Phantom Of The Night LP Vinyl JXS70398 Janus Records US $3.99 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK See See The Sun LP 9 Track Light Wear To Cover And Has Sticker On Front Of US $33.15 Buy It Now 8 days
Kayak - Self Titled - Harvest Records SHSP-4036 - U.K. Import - Vinyl G to VG US $35.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Kayak - Phantom Of The Night [Vinyl New] US $29.35 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYAK: Starlight Dancer (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYAK THE LAST ENCORE RARE OOP CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYAK IVORY DENCE KEEP THE CHANGE USA NM UNPLAYED 45rpm VEI 13 ACL US $19.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Promo 45 rpm - KAYAK - I Want You To Be Mine - MINT DJ US $4.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Kayak-The Last Encore Dutch prog cd US $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
JNS-7034- KAYAK Starlight Dancer OOP USED 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $12.99 Buy It Now 8 days
JNS-7039- KAYAK Phantom Of The Night OOP USED 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $7.99 Buy It Now 8 days
JNS-7023- KAYAK Royal Bed Bouncer OOP USED 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $18.99 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYAK - KAYAK - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $33.75 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYAK phantom of the night LP 10 track with inner sleeve (jxs7039) us janus 1979 US $8.80 Buy It Now 9 days
Phantom of the Night by Kayak [Vinyl VG++ | Cover VG+] US $10.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Kayak Wintertime b/w Alibi Rare France 7" PS 452C004-25.035 Single US $12.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Kayak Import EMI Best of LP Prog Psych US $9.99 Buy It Now 9 days
LP-Kayak-Royal Bed Bouncer~'75 Dutch PROG Killer LP ~Camel YES US $17.00 Buy It Now 9 days
KAYAK - PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT - NETHERLAND IMPORT LP - 1979 PHONOGRAM B.V. US $14.99 Buy It Now 9 days

More places to buy KAYAK music online Buy KAYAK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KAYAK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KAYAK Merlin - Bard of the Unseen ratings distribution

KAYAK Merlin - Bard of the Unseen reviews

Review by richardh
4 stars Kayak revisit the Merlin concept first explored on their 1981 album of the same name.This is actually taken from a live performance ( also available on DVD-highly recommended) but from the recording quality you wouldn't realise it.The band make excellent use of orchestration and I love the 'meaty' drumming.If you like your prog on the symhonic side with plenty of melody than look no further.

Send comments to richardh (BETA) | Report this review (#17250) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 20, 2004

Review by Trotsky
3 stars They say that life doesn't offer you second chances, but in one of the most surprising moves ever pulled by a progressive rock band, Kayak make good on some unfulfilled promises. A full 22 years after botching their first attempt at Merlin (in 1981, Kayak released an album called Merlin that was a good half concept album, half-unrelated pop songs), original members Tom Scherpenzeel (keyboards) and Pip Koopman (drums), as well as long time bassist Bert Veldkamp got together to right the wrongs of history. They're actually done a pretty good job of it, too.

This album builds on the five earlier tracks (Merlin, Tintagel, The Sword In The Stone, The King's Enchanter and Niniane (Lady Of The Lake) with eight newly composed tracks that fit in seamlessly to create a good neo-prog rock opera. Just as Kayak's Close To The Fire album (which came out in 2000)demonstrated a shift to a sound that should thrill afficionados of Glass Hammer and IQ, so this one continues in the same vein. I suppose it's a rather logical move from the progressive pop of the early 70s to a more contemporary neo-prog sound ... and the good news is that it is better than almost every neo-prog album recorded since Fish left Marillion (IQ's Dark Matter being an exception).

This album has some nice vocal harmonies, orchestral additions, great solos by Scherpenzeel (his synth work towards the tail end of the opening track is excellent.), good guitar leads, pleasing Celtic themes and enough changes of pace to ensure excitement throughout. I must admit though, that my favourite tunes are still the "original" compositions from 1981 ... the title track, the eerie, delicate Tintagel and The King's Enchanter are all awesome! Of the newer pieces, the exuberant At Arthur's Court, The Purest Of Knights and The Last Battle (both of which have a great cinematic epic feel) are the standouts. At times though (Friendship And Love is a distinct example, and even Niniane reminds me at times of Air Supply!), Kayak's music can get a little too lightweight for my tastes.

One notable change for this album is the presence of lead vocalist Bert Heerink (who joined for 2001's Night Vision album), while female singer Cindy Oudshoorn and guitarist Rob Vunderlink also handle lead vocals at various points on the album. The 1981 album had Edward Reekers singing, while the vocalist for the early 70s albums was Max Werner, who had returned for Close To The Fire, but isn't anywhere to be seen here. Maybe this confusing array of vocalists is one reason Kayak hasn't gotten the recognition it deserves. Still, if I were a hard-core fan of the neo-progressive style (and I most certainly am not), I'd rush out to get this one. ... 53% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#54077) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 31, 2005

Review by Tristan Mulders
4 stars Kayak - Merlin: Bard of the Unseen

This 2003 release was the first Kayak album I heard since I first discovered symphonic rock a couple of years ago. I heard the title track on Dutch radio station Arrow Rock and I liked it a lot. I always thought that Kayak was this type of Hippy band, but this sounded a lot better than I could ever imagine.

It didn't take a lot of time before I purchased the, then newest, Kayak album and I was playing it quite a few times over the first few weeks. But you know how it goes when it comes to new music, you tend to perform overkill on your latest jewel, resulting in a dislike of the album for a random period of several days/weeks/months. 'Merlin' was this type of situation. I didn't listen to it that much after a few weeks and it got played in my CD-player only on rare occasions. That was until Kayak released its successor: Nostradamus.

The vague thing came to mind that Merlin was actually a pretty damn good album and why don't I listen to it anymore? I thought the very same thing today. And here I am, writing a review about the album.

Do you know what's so nice when you haven't listened to the album for months? You tend to hear things that you didn't hear the last time, or you rediscover those little things all over again. The same thing happens to me right now. First of all I noticed actually how good the artwork for this CD is... throughout the CD-booklet you see wonderful drawings based upon the legend of King Arthur.

Of course with an album title as 'Merlin: Bard of the Unseen' and song titles alike 'The Sword in the Stone', 'The Purest of Knights' and 'The last Battle' the link with the middle ages is soon made. The music itself sounds rather medieval like from time to time as well and the use of a lot of orchestral sections gives the music something extra I think. But between the layers of medieval sounds and bombastic string sections there's still a lot of ROCK included. If you want to have something heavy, you shouldn't listen to this though. This is more based upon the subtle side of rock with its harmonic guitar solos and fragile piano parts.

Too bad that the follow-up Nostradamus album wasn't as coherent as this one is. Not only because some of the songs share musical themes, because that's featured on Nostradamus as well, but because the whole album really feels like one big journey through that specific time period when the legend of King Arthur was supposed to take place. It's too bad that I didn't see Kayak perform this one live, because I've seen Nostradamus performed live in a local theatre and it was absolutely amazing!

This Bard of the Unseen should be seen by as many prog collectors as possible, it's really an excellent addition to any prog lover's collection!

Send comments to Tristan Mulders (BETA) | Report this review (#97078) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 04, 2006

2 stars I purchased this a few years ago and didn't like it at all. I thought maybe I would feel differently about it now so I gave it a spin today and it was all I could do to listen to the whole record.This was painful for me, and here's why. First of all I really dislike musicals, always have, and for me this was like listening to a musical instead of watching it. The orchestral parts I don't like at all either, and the vocals although not bad, to me they are below average.

The highlight for me was in the first song "Merlin" when we hear a long guitar solo late in the song. And the second song "Tintagel" is a mellow song with acoustic guitar and reserved vocals that was ok.

Now seeing how highly rated this album is I have to conclude that it's just me. I will also say that I will never listen to this ever again. Okay that was a little harsh i'll admit but I just can't get into KAYAK.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#112934) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Review by friso
5 stars Kayak - Merlin - Bard of the Unseen (2003)

Musical or conceptual masterpiece?

This was one of the keyrecords that made me listen to progressive music. I liked the fantasy Kayak had, the medieaval sounds they made and the story they told in their music. Progressive tracks like The Sword in the Stone and Merlin made me think about music: what are the boundaries? What makes this intelligent composition-style so attractive? Why did I never listen to this kind of music before?

Kayak had been a major Dutch progressive/crossover band in the mid-seventies. In the late seventies they changed formula to a more pop-approach on the music and they disbanded in the early eigthies. The very beginning of the 21th century can be seen as the big comeback for the Duch progscene with reappearences of Kayak, Supersister, Focus and Alquin. Kayak released Close to the Fire (2000), in my opion a great fusion between symphonic rock and progressive sympho. The followup Night Vision was a mixed bag, but had some fantastic tracks on the first halve. Now it was time to complete this ancient vision of Kayak: the complete rework and finishing of the Merlin album of 1981. The original album had side one filled with highly progressive songs from the Merlin concept and a poppy second side. The tracks Merlin, Tintagel, The Sword in the Stone, The King's Enchanter and Niniane (Lade of the Lake) originate from the original release, but were re-recorded and nine new tracks were written to complete to concept.

The rerecordings of the original tracks worked very well, while the new songs were succesful in being in the right mood and atmosphere to create a new whole out of the two different parts. The songs have medieaval compositions styles with medieaval instrumentation with great choise of keysounds and the additions of an orchestra! Still there is a place for electric guitars, nice functional drums and the best of vocals. Lead vocalist (role of Merlin) Bert Heerink thows in both subtle vocals and strong, powerfull vocals reminding me of the Vandenberg heavy rock era. New-comer and now fulltime member Cindy Oudshoorn is one of the best Dutch vocalist I've ever seen. She sounds very good on the record (role of Morgan Lefay), powerfull and emotional. Still she can do better, for I've seen her live and on the Merlin DVD adding even more power to her beautiful voice. Guitarist and vocalist Rob Vunderink (role Mordred, the bastard son) rock's out on tracks like Branded and The Last Battle. Kayak's new guitarist Joost Vergoossen adds the nicest of gutiar solo's, while steady factor Bert Veldkamp on bass has his great moments on Tintagel and Branded.

The result of all this, band plus orchestra is an extravaganza of both power, intelligent atmospheric compostions with enough space for emotional vocals, something this story shurely needs. Though all tracks are very interesting, some are perfect. The original Merlin shines as an opener with great symphonic chord progressions with lots of key changed, The devoted 3/3 signature Future King, the very progressive Sword in the Stone, the emotional When the Sheer looks away with an amazing angy vocal part of Cindy Oudshoorn, the rockin' Branded with the heavy vocals of Vunderink, and finally the big bombastic The Last Battle that has great vocal parts, war rythms and a solo section like never seen before. There is only one thing I don't like about this record. Between The Otherworld and The King's Enchanter are to much downtempo tracks, the album could have used a bust in between.

Conclusion. One of the best symphonic/orchestral progressive concept albums ever made. To bad the 'experts' on this side nailed it down as a 'musical', while all the other reviewers gave it five stars for being a masterpiece. There is no record in the symphonic genre I could recommend more then this one, without doubt a five star record and it should have been highly ranked in our PA top 100! If it only had gotten more attention from the scene....

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#146741) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Merlin - the musical

Merlin - Bard Of The Unseen is the third album by the reunited Kayak after a long absence from the music industry. After having been very impressed by the excellent come back album Close To The Fire from 2000 and liked the much less interesting but still good Night Vision from 2001, this remake of Merlin was a big disappointment. I have now rewritten this review after having heard the original version of Kayak's Merlin from 1981. My rating, however, remains the same.

Comparing the two versions of Merlin side by side I must say that the original version is by far the one that I like best. I agree that this remake is an improvement in some respects, but in other respects it is the opposite of an improvement. I feel that they have turned the very good Merlin songs from that 1981 album into some kind of "Rock musical" or Rock Opera, that I don't much like at all. Those original songs released in 1981 were Merlin, Tintagel, The Sword In The Stone, The King's Enchanter and Niniane (Lady Of The Lake). The rest of the songs here are brand new. There is no doubt that these original five songs are all great songs and have a strong classic feel. Merlin and Niniane, in particular, are very beautiful songs. But while the sonic quality of this recording is indeed higher than on the original, the original recording have something special that I feel is not entirely recreated here.

The original version of the album was by no means perfect and doing a remake was indeed a very good idea. However, I don't much appreciate the treatment these songs are given here. The result is too bombastic, too theatrical and too orchestral. It comes across as a bit overblown and too "big" for my taste. Some of the new songs are duets with both male and female vocals sharing the spotlight and portraying different characters in the story. This gives the whole thing a feeling of a musical which makes it very hard for me to get into despite some nice instrumental passages. If you like that kind of stuff, you should check this out. But if you share my scepticism about this formula, you should proceed with considerable caution.

Needless to say, this "Rock musical" is about the King Arthur legend. This is, of course, hardly original because several Prog and Prog related bands and artists had already done this. Rick Wakeman's The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table from 1975 is just one example. There is no doubt about the band still being highly competent musicians and writers and that they have invested a lot of effort into this project. This is by no means a poor product. But to my ears this is more of a Rock musical than a Prog Rock album. The arrangements are not very elaborated and the focus lies mostly on the vocals and not much space is devoted for instrumental expression. The occasional guitar solos and the few, short keyboard solos are good, but not enough to lift the album.

Doing a remake of the original Merlin had so much potential, but this "musical" version is not my cup of tea. Merlin, Niniane and Tintagel are great songs that should be heard, but I would prefer the original versions. If you want to explore Kayak's come-back in the new millennium, I strongly recommend you to start with the excellent Close To The Fire.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#221160) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 14, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This "Merlin, Bard Of The Unseen" revisited is a full length concept album which takes its inspiration from their previous "Merlin" which was released in 81. At the time, only one side of the album was related to the Merlin story which we all know quite well.

As some reviewers have said, this version sounds much more as a musical than the original work. The addition of some orchestrations only adds to the flavour. I have a mixed feeling about this release: while the original was generally considered as being too short, this one might well be somewhat longish and sometimes pompous ("The Sword In The Stone" for example) or too much West End's musical oriented ("When The Seer Looks Away" or "Branded").

If you're in for orchestrations, this might be an interesting work, but I am not really such a freak (there are still very few exceptions to this appreciation like the great "El Dorado" from ELO).

My two favourite songs are "The Otherworld" which contains some fine instrumental parts and beautiful vocals (a trade mark with this band) and the moving "Niniane" which was already my fave from the original work. It is very much a "Camel" like type of song as far as the instrumental parts are concerned. Vocals are of course much better here.

A song as "Friendship & Love" is also a fine achievement full of subtlety (piano, guitar). Extremely melodic and in all perfectly crafted.

The band called this work a "rock opera". I would tend to call this more a "musical" instead, leaving the term "rock opera" to "Tommy" and the likes. Anyway, one spends an enjoyable time while listening to this CD. Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#229056) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 30, 2009

Review by Gatot
3 stars Merlin is an excellent album that was released long time ago in 1981 and I like the album very much. More than 20 years after the original Merlin was released Kayak released a new Merlin album, which consists of 5 old songs and 9 new ones; all of them were composed by Ton Scherpenzeel. The album revolves around Merlin or King Arthur's court the characters on this album are as follows: Merlin and Lancelot parts are sung by Bert Heerink, Mordred is Rob Vunderink and Morgaine and Guinevere's "roles" are sung by Cindy Oudshoorn. If you listen to the album for the first time you will be amazed by the beautiful songs and excellent orhestratio - something that Ton Scherpenzeel has been good at.

As original Merlin has been with me as one of my favorite albums where I know exactly how the vocal and the music sound together, it was quite hard for me to accept this new version of Merlin because the vocal is different than the original one mainly sung by Edward Reekers. For me, the vocal quality of Edward Reekers had become an integral part of the Kayak music and it's non replaceable. If I had never heard Merlin original version, I might consider this album as masterpiece. But's it's practically difficult for me to say so now as, again, the vocal quality of Edward Reekers has become an integral part of Merlin music.

I could say that the title track is a real masterpiece with outstanding orchestration, but something is missing on the vocal side. I am not saying that the vocal quality of the new singer is bad - in fact he has much power than Reekers - but ...still ...something is missing. The classic "old" Niniane (Lady Of The Lake) sounds really different on this 2003 version. Even though all the five old songs sound refreshing and more alive but they should be sung by Edward Reekers.

I am sure most people would consider this album as excellent or masterpiece. Well, I have to admit, they are right because musically this 2003 is really excellent especially with its orchestration. But, at personal level, the original Merlin has engrossed deeply into my mind. It's like enjoying the original Genesis' 'Carpet Crawlers' with the new recording even though the singer is the same but the overall nuance of the song has lost. So is the case with this new Merlin. So I consider it as a three star rating album - bearing the fact that the Merlin itself is an excellent album and this new version lacks originality despite the new songs. Keep on proggin' ...!!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#569638) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011

5 stars Well, first let me say that I am a "classical" prog fan, meaning symphonic rock in the style of Genesis, IQ and the like but I also have a certain weakness for musicals (like Jesus Christ Superstar). Therefore I really can not give less than five stars to this album as it mixes those two genr ... (read more)

Report this review (#279749) | Posted by herrkaiser | Wednesday, April 28, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Alright, I've been a big fan of the Arthurian legends that dealt with the epic tale of the Matter of Britian ever since I was a child and I'm a big fan of instrumental music, and this album mixed both together perfectly resulting in very well composed songs that retell the life of King Arthur and ... (read more)

Report this review (#68503) | Posted by | Monday, February 06, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I am marvelled by this Kayak's masterpiece. This band isn't much known in my country but it should be. They should be more heard on radios, more broadcasted. This album undobtedly is excellent highlighting the power of the voices and the atmosphere created by keyboards to intensify the history or le ... (read more)

Report this review (#64762) | Posted by | Saturday, January 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Kayak have created simply one of the most wonderful music I've loved since the first release of Merlin. It's not possible to give less than five stars to this album! The light and shadows dance in the dreaming atmosphere in delicate way or epic situations supported by orchestral great movemen ... (read more)

Report this review (#42214) | Posted by | Tuesday, August 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What a surprising comeback by Kayak! I think this band is one of the most underrated in prog history. They made very melodic album that should appeal to all fans who love Camel-like music. Compositions are really great, the construction of this concept album is also amazing, and I'm eager to h ... (read more)

Report this review (#17254) | Posted by | Monday, May 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Like the first review said, there are no cd's that I've heard, that are better than this. Every song on this cd is like the best song. I listen to this cd almost every day, and always have these songs in my head. The story about Arthur and Merlin make it very interesting. The best progressive ... (read more)

Report this review (#17252) | Posted by | Sunday, November 21, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars My first review is reserved for the best CD I have ever heard - hence five stars, which I will dish out sparingly. The eighties album Merlin of this undervalued Dutch band included a suite of five songs based on the Arthur legend. They were fantastic songs, including the powerful Merlin and th ... (read more)

Report this review (#17251) | Posted by Dragon Phoenix | Wednesday, September 29, 2004 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Well... it is kinda original: some progressive elements mixed with Eurovision song contest typical lines. But I don't like this kind of "originality". From a band that features a keyboardist who was in Camel one should expect much better. I really can't see how someone can rate this cheesy mu ... (read more)

Report this review (#17249) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 19, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What can I say? Perfect! You will adore if you are prog rock fan and loved "The Mists Of Avalon" book. Full of stiles mix, this album is a shot of mythology and melody. There's no doubt that's the best Kayak's album! ... (read more)

Report this review (#17248) | Posted by | Tuesday, May 18, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is an amazing work, period!!!!! Wonderful Symphonic Music, full of time changes, a mix of different styles,use of a Symphony Orchestra, and overall musical virtuosity. I have to admit that the music is very melodic and accesible but in my humble opinion, this is the best Kayak record Ive ... (read more)

Report this review (#17247) | Posted by | Friday, May 14, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is an absolutely incredible work!! The use of a symphony orchestra only enhances the top-notch compositions. Enthralling from beginning to end! Kayak have finally created their masterpiece!!!... Highly Recommended!!! ... (read more)

Report this review (#17241) | Posted by | Thursday, January 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is the REALLY comeback album of Kayak! A few old songs from the 1981 album 'Merlin' are joined with a couple of new songs. The result is a real strong Rockopera with Cindy Oudshoorn as the best female voice I've heard since Tracy Hitchings! My favourite tracks are of course the well-known 'Merl ... (read more)

Report this review (#17236) | Posted by | Friday, November 14, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KAYAK "Merlin - Bard of the Unseen"