BRAVE NEW WORLD

Styx Brave New World  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy STYX Music
Studio Album, released in 1999

1. I Will Be Your Witness (4:31)
2. Brave New World (5:14)
3. While There's Still Time (3:53)
4. Number One (4:33)
5. Best New Face (3:36)
6. What Have They Done To You (4:33)
7. Fallen Angel (4:49)
8. Everything Is Cool (5:19)
9. Great Expectations (4:44)
10. Heavy Water (4:29)
11. High Crimes & Misdemeanors (3:26)
12. Just Fell In (3:25)
13. Goodbye Roseland (3:49)
14. Brave New World (Reprise) (3:31)

Search STYX Brave New World lyrics

Search STYX Brave New World tabs

- Jerry Goodman / violin
- Dennis DeYoung / keyboards, vocals
- Tommy Shaw / guitar (acoustic), guitar (electric), keyboards, vocals
- James Young / guitar, vocals
- Chuck Panozzo / guitar (bass)

CD CMC International 86275

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Brave New World Music

STYX - DON'T LET IT END / ROCKIN' THE PARADISE 45 RECORD US $2.00 [0 bids]
48m 13s
STYX Pieces of Eight 8-track Tape US $2.49 [0 bids]
53m 17s
The Pooh Sticks "The Pure Styx 7" Sympathy For The Record Industry Alt 7" Single US $6.00 [0 bids]
53m 57s
Styx - Radio Sampler and Interview Album (Vinyl, 2 discs, 1983) US $12.99 [0 bids]
55m 46s
KISS The Very Best of + STYX Greatest Hits 2 CD USA SEALED FREE SHIPPING A2650 US $9.50 Buy It Now 56m 30s
Styx: Lady (New Cassette) US $8.00 Buy It Now 57m 51s
Styx - Caught in the Act (Live, Vinyl, 1984) US $6.99 [0 bids]
58m 3s
Styx - come sail away- vg condition 45-RPM US $1.99 [0 bids]
1h
Styx Pieces of Eight Vinyl Album 1978 US $8.99 [0 bids]
Best of Styx 8 track tape tested US $1.99 [0 bids]
Styx Cornerstone 8 track tape tested US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX- Classics, Vol. 15 (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) Very good collection! US $2.50 [0 bids]
Styx New CD-HAND SIGNED AUTOGRAPHS OF 5 MEMBERS OF STYX,SHAW,C US $35.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Pieces of Eight by Styx CD 1990, Blue Collar Man, Sing For The Day, Renegade US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX MR.ROBOTO 45 PIC SLEEVE NM US $3.99 [0 bids]
Big Bang Theory by Styx (CD, May-2005, New Door Records) US $7.99 [0 bids]
Styx Kilroy Was Here 1983 SP 3734 A&M Records US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Styx 8-Track The Grand Illusion - A&M 8T-4637 Untested w/Case Great Cond. 1977 US $1.99 [0 bids]
Styx 8-Track Pieces of Eight - A&M 8T-4724 Untested w/Case - Great Cond. 1977 US $1.99 [0 bids]
STYX - CRYSTAL BALL, LP Record Classic Rock US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Styx "The Grand Illusion" Near Mint US $3.00 [0 bids]
Radio Show: FLASHBACK! 9/6/10 POLICE, RUSH, BTO, STYX, CCR, HOLLIES, TULL,EAGLES US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Styx / Edge of the Century US $4.99 [0 bids]
STYX The Grand Illusion SHRINK 1977 A&M w/orig lyric slv NM/EX LP Record US $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
1978-STYX-Sing for the Day-45RPM-AM LABEL US $1.59 Buy It Now 2h 17m
STYX +4 LP LOT + RARE+NM + CLASSIC ROCK +POSTER+ US $19.98 [0 bids]
styx paradise theatre record US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX - Caught in the Act - Live - 1984 Gate -Vinyl Lp.X 2 / Prog. Hard Rock AOR US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
STYX Paradise Theater 1980 Vinyl 33 LP Record -Too Much Time On My Hands - VG US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
styx the grand illusion record US $2.99 [0 bids]
Styx The Grand Illusion- 8 Track Tape- Works US $3.99 [0 bids]
STYX - Paradise Theater KOREA CD *SEALED* US $9.79 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 55m
The Grand Illusion by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 56m
The Grand Illusion by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 59m
STYX Jennifer 1976 NM dj PROMO A&M 1900 LISTEN HERE US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
rare STYX Mademoiselle 1976 NM dj PROMO A&M 1877 LISTEN HERE US $9.15 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Styx- The Best of Times/Lights 7" Pic Slv US $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 14m
DAMN YANKEES Silence Is Broken 1992 DJCD PROMO CD Styx US $3.99 [0 bids]
Styx 2LP Caught in the Act US $5.00 [0 bids]
Styx LP Best of US $5.00 [0 bids]
Styx with poster LP The Grand Illusion US $5.00 [0 bids]
Van Halen,Toto.Styx,Kansas Classic Rock lot of 4 Lps all with VG+ to NM VInyl US $10.50 [2 bids]
STYX---KILROY WAS HERE..GATEFOLD.....1983 A&M RECORDS LABEL...MINT US $4.85 [0 bids]
STYX: MUSIC TIME / HEAVY ETAL POISONING 45 RPM DENNIS DEYOUNG TOMMY SHAW AOR US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h
STYX - THE GRAND ILLUSION / PIECES OF EIGHT LIVE - 2CD SET - 18 TRACKS US $7.44 [0 bids]
STYX - Return To Paradise - BMG Music 2 Cassette Set US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Styx I AYL3888 R VG C VG (LP-12145) US $5.49 Buy It Now 4h 10m
DENNIS DEYOUNG: DESERT MOON / GRAVITY 45 RPM STYX AOR ROCK US $3.49 Buy It Now 4h 11m
STYX THE GRAND ILLUSION LP A&M SP-4637 US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 36m
STYX "PARADISE THEATER" FOLD-OUT LP SP-3719 A&M 1980 " Too Much Time..." US $5.99 [0 bids]
STYX "PIECES OF EIGHT" 4 TRACK 3 3/4 IPS REEL TO REEL TAPE US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Equinox/Crystal Ball by Styx (CD, Mar-2006, Beat Goes On) US $12.25 Buy It Now 5h 3m
The Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings by Styx (CD, Feb-2005, 2 Discs, Hip-O) US $13.53 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Caught in the Act by Styx (CD, Jul-1991, 2 Discs, A&M (USA)) US $9.75 Buy It Now 5h 4m
STYX CORNERSTONE ORIGINAL LP SEALED! US $199.00 Buy It Now 5h 4m
STYX Pieces Of Eight 1978 A&M CLASSIC ROCK LP US $13.00 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Styx, Paradise Theatre Audio CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
DAMN YANKEES - 10 TRACK CD - MINT TED NUGENT TOMMY SHAW STYX NIGHT RANGER US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX JUKE BOX TITLE STRIP-BUY 10 TITLE STRIPS FREE SHIPPING ANYWHERE US $0.75 [0 bids]
Kilroy Was Here by Styx (Cassette, Feb-1983, A&M Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
6h
STYX ( PARADISE THEATER ) ORIG 1980 LASER - ETCHED Gatefold vinyl PROG rock LP US $15.95 Buy It Now 6h 7m
STYX The Grand Illusion 1990 A&M CD 70s Come Sail Away Fooling Yourself US $10.04 Buy It Now 6h 7m
DENNIS DeYOUNG 45 * Desert Moon * 1984 #10 * with PICTURE SLEEVE * PS * STYX US $2.50 Buy It Now 6h 22m
Styx - Kilroy Was Here - LP 1983 US $15.00 Buy It Now 6h 29m
STYX *GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD - 24 Songs US $7.65 [0 bids]
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Styx [Digipak] by US $3.95 Buy It Now 7h 36m
STYX - GRAND ILLUSION CD 1977 US $2.00 [0 bids]
STYX(KOREA LP 12")DIFFERENT EDIT TRACK CAUGHT IN THE ACT '84 tommy shaw/de young US $22.49 Buy It Now 9h 11m
DAMN YANKEES(KOREA LP 12")S/T 1991 EX tommy shaw/TED NUGENT/STYX/NIGHT RANGER US $13.49 Buy It Now 9h 11m
STYX mr roboto JAPAN 7" AMP-759 kR4 US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h
Styx-The Grand Illusion / Pieces of Eight -Live-Region Free DVD-Brand New-Still US $16.69 Buy It Now 11h 25m
Styx ?- Cornerstone LP US $6.31 Buy It Now 11h 44m
STYX---PARADISE THEATER---11 TRACK CD---WEST GERMAN PRESSING---1980 US $10.69 Buy It Now 12h 14m
Styx - Kilroy was Here (Vinyl, 1983) Japanese release NM US $14.99 [0 bids]
STYX (2 CASSETTES) EQUINOX & CAUGHT IN THE ACT LIVE NO INSERTS READ NOTES US $0.99 [0 bids]
STYX - KILROY WAS HERE [CD NEW] US $9.95 Buy It Now 12h 59m
Styx Kilroy Was Here Album 1983 US $10.99 [0 bids]
STYX *GOOD TO VG* 1971 US WOODEN NICKEL DOUBLE A-SIDE PROMO 45 "LADY" US $8.97 Buy It Now 13h 54m
Styx, "The Grand Illusion" Vinyl LP - 1977 A & M Records SP 4637 Album US $5.00 [0 bids]
Styx Man Of Miracles US Cassette Tape *NEW James Young Dennis DeYoung Prog-Rock US $22.75 Buy It Now 14h 14m
Styx The Serpent Is Rising US Cassette *NEW James Young Dennis DeYoung Prog-Rock US $24.95 Buy It Now 14h 14m
Styx(Vinyl LP Gatefold)Kilroy Was Here-A & M-AMLX 63734-Netherlands-VG+/VG US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 16m
Styx(Vinyl LP Gatefold)Cornerstone-A & M-AMLK 63711-UK-VG/Ex US $15.99 Buy It Now 14h 16m
Styx Paradise Theater ARCHIVE MASTER 1980 1st Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED! A+ SND! US $44.00 Buy It Now 14h 25m
Styx - Pieces Of Eight -- NM Condition US $15.99 Buy It Now 14h 37m
STYX Crystal Ball 1976 A&M LP SP-4604 EXC-/EXC w/lyric sleeve US $7.50 Buy It Now 14h 39m
STYX 'BABE' UK 7" SINGLE US $1.67 Buy It Now 14h 56m
STYX 'BABE' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 7" SINGLE US $8.42 Buy It Now 14h 56m
STYX 'THE BEST OF TIMES' UK 7" SINGLE ETCHED US $3.36 Buy It Now 14h 56m
Sinister - Cross the Styx LP (CLEAR / RED Vinyl) Brand New Sealed Death Metal US $28.99 Buy It Now 15h 20m
Edge of the Century by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $4.08 [0 bids]
1975 STYX "Lorelei-Midnight Ride" 45 US $1.99 Buy It Now 15h 30m
STYX Paradise Theater LP Etched Vinyl 1980 A&M SP-3719 VG+/VG+ Gatefold US $9.95 [0 bids]
Styx ?- Equinox- A&M Records ?- SP-4559 /LP-FREE 2for1 OFFER US $18.98 Buy It Now 15h 32m
VINYL LP - CORNERSTONE - STYX - AMLK 63711 US $16.87 Buy It Now 15h 38m
Styx Cornerstone EP US $6.99 Buy It Now 15h 56m
Styx(7" Vinyl)The Best Of Times-A & M-AMS 8102-UK-VG+/Ex US $8.42 Buy It Now 16h 6m

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Brave New World ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(9%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(12%)

STYX Brave New World reviews

Review by Gatot
3 stars Regardless it's being prog or not, just consider it as a rock band, what Styx album(s) do you really favor? I would go for "Man of Miracles" and "Equinox". But hold on . it's a tough choice, actually. Why? I think in every album that Styx has ever released, there has been clearly more than 50% of its music in its typical album is excellent. Either it's catchy or having a great composition like the one in Equinox album where I think "Born for an Adventure" is truly a great hard rock song. Talking about "Man of Miracles", I have "A Song for Suzanne", "Evil Eyes" and "Christopher Mr Christopher" that are really excellent tracks! Or . I also like "Castle Walls" of "The Grand Illusion" album. Not only that, I also like the "Mr Robotto" track from Killroy Was Here, and also ."Blue Collar Man"!!!!

Having that sort of traditional emotional bond with the band, I inclined to purchase this "Brave New World" CD but .. the price was unbelievably not friendly at all. So I did not purchase it until couple of weeks ago I was offered a sales promotion from the Missing Piece .. so I bought it. Ehem! To my surprise, this album .

..is enjoyable and has a good composition!

Having known this after two or three spins, actually I did not mind to purchase the CD with such unfriendly price. But now I benefit this good album with friendly (indeed, it's very cheap!) price. You know then how I feel, I got a great deal of price for good music "Brave New World" offers. Of course, this is nothing like "Equinox" or "Man of Miracles", but look at this persepective: forget that this is "new" Styx album and assume it's being played by a new band .. I bet you would like it! Yes, it's not that prog, even though some tracks have a bit of prog element in it, but the overall music is just good.

"I Will Be Your Witness" (4:31) is definitely a solid composition music with great guitar riffs in reggae-rock fusion. You may not recognize this as Styx if you do not recognize the vocal style. "Brave New World" (5:14) - the composition is tighter than the opening track especially during the ambient nuance at the opening part which reminds me to Bali Island in Indonesia. As the music flows I bring myself engrossed with the music beautifully. The other excellent track is "Number One" (4:33) which has a bit of prog structure. You still can find good rocker like "What Have They Done To You" (4:33) which reminds me to Kilroy Was Here album. "Fallen Angel" (4:49) is a nice ballad. Another great rocker is "Heavy Water" (4:29). The album concludes with "Brave New World (Reprise)" (3:31).

Overall, it's an enjoyable album from Styx. And this album represents the last album with Dennis De Young. What good also about this album is the appearance of great prog violinist Jerry Goodman. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#179238) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 09, 2008

Review by Finnforest
3 stars A flawed album but one I enjoy

In the mid 90s Styx mounted a highly successful reunion tour with the core members in tact, the tour so many fans waited years for. With momentum on their side after the tour they attempted to pull off another feat with a new studio album. Rather than capitalize and set aside their personal gripes with each other, they blew it. The resulting sessions brought back the divisions and animosity that plagued them for so long. I won't go into the details, but suffice to say both camps played their role in sinking any chance of continuing their legacy, and DeYoung was right to call the album a "missed opportunity." This could have been a great project had the DeYoung camp and the Shaw/Young camp allowed it to be, instead, many of the criticisms you read about the album's failures are not unfounded. It can sound less than cohesive, unfinished, sometimes like demos, and it fails to capture the magic that could be glorious when these three musicians set aside their bickering and helped each other reach their potential. When I first heard the record I hated it, and I nearly wrote a scathing review early on. Instead, the disc got stuck in my car during a difficult personal period, when I simply kept playing it because I was often too distressed to rotate discs as I normally would. I ended up liking this flawed record. Despite the Shaw/Young camp's tragic decision to toss Styx's undeniable leader, and damn the consequences in quality, the album that almost "never was" has its moments. The band even stopped recording it at one point during their hostilities, only to be forced by the label to finish it, lest lawsuits begin. There are so many little details working against this album that its very presence is something of a miracle.

Despite less of the art rock glitter and prog-rock influence of the 1970s, the material on "Brave New World" could have been Styx-ized had there been true collaboration. It would still be more straightforward rock but it could have been quite different. Instead, the Shaw tracks can sound like Bon Jovi while the DeYoung tracks sometimes sound like he was being paid to pen ballads for American Idol contestants. Neither scenario a compliment. The songs from the two camps could not sound more indifferent towards each other, this really is two solo albums having a shotgun wedding. It is somewhat ironic that Shaw and Young's vision for the album was a conceptual commentary on a bleak future, not unlike what DeYoung tried to do with the Kilroy theme those two hated so much. This time around, it is DeYoung's songs who sound like they are mostly removed from the album's themes. The roles have reversed in that compositional sense. Shaw had control here, while DeYoung was being blindfolded and tied to the tree, after just consuming his final meal and being offered a cigarette.

Shaw/Young's tracks are almost completely devoid of any DeYoung presence, it sounds as if they stripped away whatever significant presence he may have offered laid their songs. It's a shame because some of those tracks could have benefited immensely from Dennis' talents, which remain very much in tact. Their tracks are mostly very catchy rock songs on the heavy but accessible side, driven by Todd Sucherman's more aggressive drumming style and a desire to have fun. James delivers his usual kitschy vocal (such a character) as he trades line with Shaw on "What have they done to you." Tommy's voice is a bit thinner and more warbled than in his youth but he can still hit the high notes. "I will be your witness" features a groovy guitar part with tons of swagger and a light, easygoing chorus---pretty effective pop songwriting. "Heavy Water" approaches a crushing sound as the heavy James vehicle this time out. The title track is reprised at the end like they did with Kilroy, with bits of "Heavy Water's" chorus coming through. These guys were writing rock songs they could bring to the stage and command. I would guess all of these songs sound much fuller and heavier on tour than here.

Dennis' material ranges from the pure sappy ballad (While There's Still Time) to the introspective (Fallen Angel) to the playful (High Crimes & Misdemeanors) which is subtitled "Hip Hop-Cracy." You really have to hear that one! "Great Expectations" is a strong track in the show tunes style DeYoung has embraced since working Broadway. He closes his tracks with "Goodbye Roseland" which is a poignant and personal farewell to his old neighborhood, his father, his youthful memories. Dennis' father died around this period of the same disease that recently took my own Dad. To say I found the song moving would be an understatement, as I was hearing it the week I buried my Dad, nothing like coincidences. DeYoung was left standing on the shore as the Shaw led band sailed away to a new future without him. Dennis may have had the last laugh though. While Styx proper rocks the casinos and state fairs, DeYoung has released a new solo album that some fans call the best work by any Styxian, alone or together, since 1980. It is called "One Hundred Years from Now" if you wish to check it out. They carry on separately now, but like the Floyd situation, their work apart will never match what they did together as a true band in the 1970s. Tommy and James enjoying performing more than recording, Dennis enjoys perfecting the studio sound. Fans will have to decide for themselves where their interests lie in these musicians. The base seemed as split over things as the band themselves.

If you never liked Styx in their glory years, you sure as hell won't like this album. But for me it is a nice coda to a band I enjoy, despite the obvious flaws. I like this album more than Kilroy despite the fact that many Styx fans reject it. I have a feeling most PA reviewers would give this two stars (or 1), but I have to bump it to three personally. I had fun.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#464691) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 19, 2011

3 stars I'm not sure what to say here exactly, so I'll start with a very short story. When I heard that Styx were going to re-form to record a long awaited follow up album to 1990's "Edge Of The Century" I was thrilled but quite skeptical. I know in 1990 I was unsure of what to think about "Edge!" ... (read more)

Report this review (#38853) | Posted by silversaw | Friday, July 08, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars If 'Kilroy was here' was a bizarre miss-step for the band, this was triple-suicide. Does every Tommy Shaw song have to mention either 'Manic Depression' or 'Prosac'? And the bad part is it starts out so promisingly. I might give a song-by-song run down for this one 1. "I will be your witness" - T ... (read more)

Report this review (#17419) | Posted by Brendan | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars If you want hear a pop album, go away, buy this disc, but if you want art rock... pass away. This is not an horrible work, sometimes can be enjoyable, but is a great deception for the Styx fans, can be sure... ... (read more)

Report this review (#17416) | Posted by | Sunday, February 08, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars What a waste. With the majority of the original Styx lineup, fans expected a fantastic album...and instead, they got this. At its best, it's a disjointed effort with a few good tracks that really shine, and at its worst, it's a piece of horrifying garbage that left Styx fans dismayed and disappoin ... (read more)

Report this review (#17415) | Posted by | Friday, December 26, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Brave New World "