BRAVE NEW WORLD

Styx Brave New World  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy STYX Music
Studio Album, released in 1999

1. I Will Be Your Witness (4:31)
2. Brave New World (5:14)
3. While There's Still Time (3:53)
4. Number One (4:33)
5. Best New Face (3:36)
6. What Have They Done To You (4:33)
7. Fallen Angel (4:49)
8. Everything Is Cool (5:19)
9. Great Expectations (4:44)
10. Heavy Water (4:29)
11. High Crimes & Misdemeanors (3:26)
12. Just Fell In (3:25)
13. Goodbye Roseland (3:49)
14. Brave New World (Reprise) (3:31)

Search STYX Brave New World lyrics

Search STYX Brave New World tabs

- Jerry Goodman / violin
- Dennis DeYoung / keyboards, vocals
- Tommy Shaw / guitar (acoustic), guitar (electric), keyboards, vocals
- James Young / guitar, vocals
- Chuck Panozzo / guitar (bass)

CD CMC International 86275

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Brave New World Music

Crystal BallCrystal Ball
Styx - Paradise Theater [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 43m 12s
Rock 45 STYX Lorelei on A&M US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
STYX-BABE/IM O.K. WHITE LABEL 7 INCH SINGLE US $8.05 [0 bids]
1980 - STYX - Cornerstone - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.50 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Lot of 5 ROCK VINYL LP RECORDS BOSTON STYX BOB SEGER CHEAP TRICK APRIL WINE US $19.99 [1 bids]
STYX, Paradise Theater, LP, 1981, SP-3719, A&M, 1st Press, Etched, Gate-fold US $12.49 [0 bids]
KANCHELI, GIYA - KANCHELI: STYX; TAVENER: THE MYRRH-BEARER - NEW CD US $17.77 Buy It Now 1h 31m
STYX-THE GRAND ILLUSION PIECES OF EIGHT: LIVE IN CONCERT-JAPAN 2CD BLU-RAY S95 US $103.50 Buy It Now 1h 33m
RIVER STYX Reissue lp US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
STYX Japan 1983 PROMO 7"45 MR.ROBOT with PROMO CUSTOM Sleeve US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
STYX Japan 1980 PROMO 7"45 NOTHING EVER GOES AS PLANNED with PROMO CUSTOM Sleeve US $25.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Styx, Whitney Houston, Montel Jordan, Gin Blossoms U.S. PROMO cd - Hit Trax 1996 US $9.88 Buy It Now 1h 47m
STYX - THE GRAND ILLUSION / PIECES OF EIGHT LIVE - BLURAY - AS NEW 131 Mins US $11.42 [2 bids]
LOT OF STYX VINYL RECORDS PIECES OF EIGHT GRAND ILLUSION US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX - PARADISE GALA PREMIERE / A&M RECORDS CDN LP MINT US $19.97 Buy It Now 2h 9m
STYX Japan 1980 PROMO NM 7"45 TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS with PROMO CUSTOM Sleeve US $25.99 Buy It Now 2h 17m
LP record Styx Best of US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 18m
STYX Japan 1979 PROMO 7"45 BOAT ON THE RIVER US $25.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Styx - Everything All The Time - U.S. PROMO cd RARE! US $11.23 Buy It Now 2h 26m
STYX Japan 1978 NM 7"45 I'M O.K. US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 30m
STYX Japan 1983 PROMO NM 7"45 DON'T LET IT END US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 37m
STYX Japan 1984 PROMO NM 7"45 MUSIC TIME US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
SEALED - Styx - Pieces Of Eight - ORIGINAL Press - Gatefold - SP-4724 - 1978 US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
BEST OF 1980:20TH CENTURY MASTERS[DIANA ROSS,STYX,DEVO,DONNA SUMMER,COMMODORES+] US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h
STYX The Grand Illusion vinyl LP 1977 w/POSTER US $9.95 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Styx - Cornerstone - Cassette US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Equinox by Styx *New CD* US $2.82 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Cornerstone by Styx *New CD* US $2.78 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Kilroy Was Here by Styx *New CD* US $2.46 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Rock 45 STYX Don't Let It End on A&M US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
STYX "BEST OF STYX" RCA VICTOR RECORDS STEREO AFLS-3116 EX/EX US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 40m
RADIO SHOW: JUKEBOX EXPOSION #205 RUSH, SUPERTRAMP, CLASH, WHO, IAN THOMAS, STYX US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Styx - "Pieces Of Eight" 1978 gatefold Vinyl LP, A&M Records, SP 4724 NM! US $14.88 Buy It Now 3h 58m
STYX-Lights+BEST OF TIME orig jukebox strip for A&M 45 #2300 US $2.50 [0 bids]
7 record lot - Triumph - Styx Equinox - Ted Nugent - Cheap Trick Marseille more US $13.49 [0 bids]
Styx - Paradise Theater (1980) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Styx: Pieces of Eight Vinyl LP US $1.50 [0 bids]
RADIO SHOW: JUKEBOX EXPOSION #210 STARSHIP, STYX, LEE DORSEY, CASTAWAYS, WHO US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Styx record PARADISE THEATRE US $10.00 [0 bids]
Extended Versions by Styx (CD, Jan-2000, BMG Special Products) US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
1980s Styx Paradise Theater Vinyl LP Laser Etching On Side Two US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 19m
STYX PIECES OF EIGHT CD AAD US $20.00 Buy It Now 5h 20m
MINT Japan original pressing with OBI!! Styx "Paradise Theater" US $15.00 [0 bids]
White Heart-Freedom RARE CD CCM AOR Styx Guardian Giant style US $4.95 Buy It Now 6h
Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands / Queen Of Spades - 7" 45 RPM US $5.99 [0 bids]
Greatest Hits - Styx (CD, Aug-1995, Remaster) Lorelei Lady Babe Sail Away US $6.58 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Styx - Cornerstone *VG+* Vinyl Album Record LP A&M Records SP3711 US $9.95 Buy It Now 6h 28m
STYX the best of times VG/VG JAPAN AMP-711 | 13-1120-062 US $10.99 Buy It Now 6h 30m
STYX - COME SAIL AWAY: THE STYX ANTHOLOGY - NEW CD BOXSET US $9.96 Buy It Now 6h 34m
STYX - CORNERSTONE - USED VINYL LP RECORD (1979 A&M) US $0.99 [0 bids]
RADIO SHOW: JUKEBOX EXPOSION 220 IRON MAIDEN, AC/DC, METALLICA, STYX,DEEP PURPLE US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 53m
STYX " Kilroy Was Here " NM- 1983 SP-3734 US $15.95 Buy It Now 6h 55m
STYX - REPPOO / Japan LP / OBI / 1981 / Record US $11.99 Buy It Now 6h 58m
Pure 80's RARE CD Girls With Guns Tommy Shaw Desert Moon Dennis DeYoung Styx US $95.99 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Styx Kilroy was Here A & M 1983 sp3734 Vinyl LP 33 Record Gatefold Album US $12.94 Buy It Now 7h 54m
STYX paradise theater EX/VG USA SP-3719 | 14-0619-041 US $16.99 Buy It Now 7h 55m
GLEN BURTNICK: HEROES & ZEROS CD AOR ROCK STYX NEAL SCHON US $31.99 Buy It Now 8h 25m
STYX - Babe - 1979 US A&M label 7" Juke Box Vinyl Single US $16.11 Buy It Now 8h 44m
STYX - Too Much Time On My Hands - Scarce 1981 US wide centred 7" vinyl single US $16.11 Buy It Now 8h 58m
STYX - The Best Of Times - 1980 UK A&M 2-track 7" vinyl single US $16.11 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Styx Twofer CD 2 on 1 The Serpent Is Rising Man Of Miracles One Way Label US $39.99 Buy It Now 9h 4m
STYX - YESTERDAY & TODAY NEW CD US $10.36 Buy It Now 9h 6m
STYX "BEST OF", LP, RARE! US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 8m
STYX "THE GRAND ILLUSION" ORIGINAL CANADA ROCK LP US $55.00 Buy It Now 9h 28m
STYX - "Babe" 1979 1st US WL PROMO ONLY 7" Single - Stereo/Mono US $17.88 Buy It Now 10h 4m
STYX - "Why Me" 1979 1st US WL PROMO ONLY 7" Single - Stereo/Mono US $17.88 Buy It Now 10h 4m
Audio Cassette THE BEST OF STYX by Styx Brand New Factory Sealed RARE! US $9.99 [0 bids]
STYX - GRAND ILLUSION / PIECES OF EIGHT: LIVE (3PC) NEW DVD US $32.53 Buy It Now 10h 26m
PROMO 45 rpm - STYX - BABE - NM Excellent + Co. Slv. US $4.50 Buy It Now 10h 30m
STYX_REO SPEEDWAGON_BLUE OYSTER CULT_SUPERTRAMP _ Lot of (6) Original [LP] Vinyl US $7.00 [0 bids]
Styx - World (Live 2001/Live Recording, 2001) FREEPOST CD US $5.65 Buy It Now 11h 49m
The Grand Illusion by Styx *New Vinyl LP* US $25.05 Buy It Now 12h 22m
CD Styx - Best Of RCA 1988 US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 29m
Huge Lot of 4 CLASSIC Rock Albums CDs~STYX, Robert Palmer, InXS, Bob Seger Live~ US $7.99 [0 bids]
STYX ~'One With Everything' ~RARE PROMO ONLY CD 2006~ PROG ROCK~NEW US $24.18 Buy It Now 13h 4m
1982 German-Pressing Rock LP - STYX "Takeoff - The Styx Collection" RCA RECORDS US $0.99 [1 bids]
6 -- 45rpm record lot Damn Yankees - Ted Nugent Night Ranger Styx Tommy Shaw US $10.98 [0 bids]
STYX music time 12" 3 trk b/w heavy metal poisoning and boat on the river (amx19 US $16.86 Buy It Now 13h 55m
STYX-PARADISE THEATRE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed G00 US $28.99 Buy It Now 13h 57m
45 RPM SINGLE RECORD. MR. ROBOTO BY STYX. SIDE TWO: SNOWBLIND. US $8.28 [0 bids]
Styx 2 Lp Lot US $1.99 [0 bids]
Styx Equinox Vinyl LP US $4.00 [0 bids]
styx - paradise theater (US)1980 LP sp-3719 gatefold cover etched vinyl US $4.00 [0 bids]
Greatest Hits by Styx (CD, Aug-1995, A&M (USA)) US $1.50 [0 bids]
STYX -7 Records ( Equinox, Crystal Ball, The Grand Illusion..._ US $13.99 [0 bids]
STYX - Babe / I'm O.K. - 1979 45 rpm single. A&M Stereo - with Adaptor US $5.99 Buy It Now 15h 50m
STYX Why Me / Lights 45 rpm record 1979 US $4.99 [0 bids]
LOT OF 10 8 TRACK TAPES FLEETWOOD MAC BLOOD ROCK RUSH STYX KANSAS EAGLES POLICE US $24.99 [0 bids]
Styx - come sail away- vg condition 45-RPM US $1.99 [0 bids]
2 LP Lot Cheap Trick "At Budokan" & Styx "Grand Illusion" US $13.99 Buy It Now 16h 29m
Styx Twofer NM CD 2 on 1 The Serpent Is Rising Man Of Miracles One Way Label US $49.99 Buy It Now 16h 47m
Styx Cornerstone vinyl LP original inner sleeve A&M US $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 49m
STYX - REGENERATION NEW CD US $21.73 Buy It Now 17h 6m
Styx - Babe / I'm O.K. 45 rpm 1979 US $2.50 Buy It Now 17h 8m
STYX Caught in the Act Live Record Size 33 US $5.00 [0 bids]
3 CDs ROCK Music GREATEST HITs Motley Crue, ZZ Top, Styx US $12.99 Buy It Now 17h 26m
STYX - CORNERSTONE (LP A&M SP 3711, 1979 ) US $4.99 Buy It Now 17h 26m
STYX: CAUGHT IN THE ACT - LIVE [LP vinyl A&M SP 65 14, 1984] US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 30m
STYX - EQUINOX [LP VINYL A&M SP 4549, 1975] US $4.99 Buy It Now 17h 30m
STYX - PIECES OF EIGHT (LP A&M SP 4724, 1978) US $5.99 Buy It Now 17h 30m

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Brave New World ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(9%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(11%)

STYX Brave New World reviews

Review by Gatot
3 stars Regardless it's being prog or not, just consider it as a rock band, what Styx album(s) do you really favor? I would go for "Man of Miracles" and "Equinox". But hold on . it's a tough choice, actually. Why? I think in every album that Styx has ever released, there has been clearly more than 50% of its music in its typical album is excellent. Either it's catchy or having a great composition like the one in Equinox album where I think "Born for an Adventure" is truly a great hard rock song. Talking about "Man of Miracles", I have "A Song for Suzanne", "Evil Eyes" and "Christopher Mr Christopher" that are really excellent tracks! Or . I also like "Castle Walls" of "The Grand Illusion" album. Not only that, I also like the "Mr Robotto" track from Killroy Was Here, and also ."Blue Collar Man"!!!!

Having that sort of traditional emotional bond with the band, I inclined to purchase this "Brave New World" CD but .. the price was unbelievably not friendly at all. So I did not purchase it until couple of weeks ago I was offered a sales promotion from the Missing Piece .. so I bought it. Ehem! To my surprise, this album .

..is enjoyable and has a good composition!

Having known this after two or three spins, actually I did not mind to purchase the CD with such unfriendly price. But now I benefit this good album with friendly (indeed, it's very cheap!) price. You know then how I feel, I got a great deal of price for good music "Brave New World" offers. Of course, this is nothing like "Equinox" or "Man of Miracles", but look at this persepective: forget that this is "new" Styx album and assume it's being played by a new band .. I bet you would like it! Yes, it's not that prog, even though some tracks have a bit of prog element in it, but the overall music is just good.

"I Will Be Your Witness" (4:31) is definitely a solid composition music with great guitar riffs in reggae-rock fusion. You may not recognize this as Styx if you do not recognize the vocal style. "Brave New World" (5:14) - the composition is tighter than the opening track especially during the ambient nuance at the opening part which reminds me to Bali Island in Indonesia. As the music flows I bring myself engrossed with the music beautifully. The other excellent track is "Number One" (4:33) which has a bit of prog structure. You still can find good rocker like "What Have They Done To You" (4:33) which reminds me to Kilroy Was Here album. "Fallen Angel" (4:49) is a nice ballad. Another great rocker is "Heavy Water" (4:29). The album concludes with "Brave New World (Reprise)" (3:31).

Overall, it's an enjoyable album from Styx. And this album represents the last album with Dennis De Young. What good also about this album is the appearance of great prog violinist Jerry Goodman. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#179238) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 09, 2008

Review by Finnforest
3 stars A flawed album but one I enjoy

In the mid 90s Styx mounted a highly successful reunion tour with the core members in tact, the tour so many fans waited years for. With momentum on their side after the tour they attempted to pull off another feat with a new studio album. Rather than capitalize and set aside their personal gripes with each other, they blew it. The resulting sessions brought back the divisions and animosity that plagued them for so long. I won't go into the details, but suffice to say both camps played their role in sinking any chance of continuing their legacy, and DeYoung was right to call the album a "missed opportunity." This could have been a great project had the DeYoung camp and the Shaw/Young camp allowed it to be, instead, many of the criticisms you read about the album's failures are not unfounded. It can sound less than cohesive, unfinished, sometimes like demos, and it fails to capture the magic that could be glorious when these three musicians set aside their bickering and helped each other reach their potential. When I first heard the record I hated it, and I nearly wrote a scathing review early on. Instead, the disc got stuck in my car during a difficult personal period, when I simply kept playing it because I was often too distressed to rotate discs as I normally would. I ended up liking this flawed record. Despite the Shaw/Young camp's tragic decision to toss Styx's undeniable leader, and damn the consequences in quality, the album that almost "never was" has its moments. The band even stopped recording it at one point during their hostilities, only to be forced by the label to finish it, lest lawsuits begin. There are so many little details working against this album that its very presence is something of a miracle.

Despite less of the art rock glitter and prog-rock influence of the 1970s, the material on "Brave New World" could have been Styx-ized had there been true collaboration. It would still be more straightforward rock but it could have been quite different. Instead, the Shaw tracks can sound like Bon Jovi while the DeYoung tracks sometimes sound like he was being paid to pen ballads for American Idol contestants. Neither scenario a compliment. The songs from the two camps could not sound more indifferent towards each other, this really is two solo albums having a shotgun wedding. It is somewhat ironic that Shaw and Young's vision for the album was a conceptual commentary on a bleak future, not unlike what DeYoung tried to do with the Kilroy theme those two hated so much. This time around, it is DeYoung's songs who sound like they are mostly removed from the album's themes. The roles have reversed in that compositional sense. Shaw had control here, while DeYoung was being blindfolded and tied to the tree, after just consuming his final meal and being offered a cigarette.

Shaw/Young's tracks are almost completely devoid of any DeYoung presence, it sounds as if they stripped away whatever significant presence he may have offered laid their songs. It's a shame because some of those tracks could have benefited immensely from Dennis' talents, which remain very much in tact. Their tracks are mostly very catchy rock songs on the heavy but accessible side, driven by Todd Sucherman's more aggressive drumming style and a desire to have fun. James delivers his usual kitschy vocal (such a character) as he trades line with Shaw on "What have they done to you." Tommy's voice is a bit thinner and more warbled than in his youth but he can still hit the high notes. "I will be your witness" features a groovy guitar part with tons of swagger and a light, easygoing chorus---pretty effective pop songwriting. "Heavy Water" approaches a crushing sound as the heavy James vehicle this time out. The title track is reprised at the end like they did with Kilroy, with bits of "Heavy Water's" chorus coming through. These guys were writing rock songs they could bring to the stage and command. I would guess all of these songs sound much fuller and heavier on tour than here.

Dennis' material ranges from the pure sappy ballad (While There's Still Time) to the introspective (Fallen Angel) to the playful (High Crimes & Misdemeanors) which is subtitled "Hip Hop-Cracy." You really have to hear that one! "Great Expectations" is a strong track in the show tunes style DeYoung has embraced since working Broadway. He closes his tracks with "Goodbye Roseland" which is a poignant and personal farewell to his old neighborhood, his father, his youthful memories. Dennis' father died around this period of the same disease that recently took my own Dad. To say I found the song moving would be an understatement, as I was hearing it the week I buried my Dad, nothing like coincidences. DeYoung was left standing on the shore as the Shaw led band sailed away to a new future without him. Dennis may have had the last laugh though. While Styx proper rocks the casinos and state fairs, DeYoung has released a new solo album that some fans call the best work by any Styxian, alone or together, since 1980. It is called "One Hundred Years from Now" if you wish to check it out. They carry on separately now, but like the Floyd situation, their work apart will never match what they did together as a true band in the 1970s. Tommy and James enjoying performing more than recording, Dennis enjoys perfecting the studio sound. Fans will have to decide for themselves where their interests lie in these musicians. The base seemed as split over things as the band themselves.

If you never liked Styx in their glory years, you sure as hell won't like this album. But for me it is a nice coda to a band I enjoy, despite the obvious flaws. I like this album more than Kilroy despite the fact that many Styx fans reject it. I have a feeling most PA reviewers would give this two stars (or 1), but I have to bump it to three personally. I had fun.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#464691) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 19, 2011

3 stars I'm not sure what to say here exactly, so I'll start with a very short story. When I heard that Styx were going to re-form to record a long awaited follow up album to 1990's "Edge Of The Century" I was thrilled but quite skeptical. I know in 1990 I was unsure of what to think about "Edge!" ... (read more)

Report this review (#38853) | Posted by silversaw | Friday, July 08, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars If 'Kilroy was here' was a bizarre miss-step for the band, this was triple-suicide. Does every Tommy Shaw song have to mention either 'Manic Depression' or 'Prosac'? And the bad part is it starts out so promisingly. I might give a song-by-song run down for this one 1. "I will be your witness" - T ... (read more)

Report this review (#17419) | Posted by Brendan | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars If you want hear a pop album, go away, buy this disc, but if you want art rock... pass away. This is not an horrible work, sometimes can be enjoyable, but is a great deception for the Styx fans, can be sure... ... (read more)

Report this review (#17416) | Posted by | Sunday, February 08, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars What a waste. With the majority of the original Styx lineup, fans expected a fantastic album...and instead, they got this. At its best, it's a disjointed effort with a few good tracks that really shine, and at its worst, it's a piece of horrifying garbage that left Styx fans dismayed and disappoin ... (read more)

Report this review (#17415) | Posted by | Friday, December 26, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Brave New World "