BRAVE NEW WORLD

Styx Brave New World  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy STYX Music
Studio Album, released in 1999

1. I Will Be Your Witness (4:31)
2. Brave New World (5:14)
3. While There's Still Time (3:53)
4. Number One (4:33)
5. Best New Face (3:36)
6. What Have They Done To You (4:33)
7. Fallen Angel (4:49)
8. Everything Is Cool (5:19)
9. Great Expectations (4:44)
10. Heavy Water (4:29)
11. High Crimes & Misdemeanors (3:26)
12. Just Fell In (3:25)
13. Goodbye Roseland (3:49)
14. Brave New World (Reprise) (3:31)

Search STYX Brave New World lyrics

Search STYX Brave New World tabs

- Jerry Goodman / violin
- Dennis DeYoung / keyboards, vocals
- Tommy Shaw / guitar (acoustic), guitar (electric), keyboards, vocals
- James Young / guitar, vocals
- Chuck Panozzo / guitar (bass)

CD CMC International 86275

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Brave New World Music

Styx GoldStyx Gold
A&M Records 2004
Kilroy Was HereKilroy Was Here
A&M 1990
Styx Pieces Of Eight 2009 Japan Mini LP SHM CD L/E NEW With Obi UICY-93922 HTF US $119.80 Buy It Now 34m 13s
Styx Paradise Theater 2009 Japan SHM CD L/E NEW With Obi UICY-93924 OOP HTF Rare US $79.80 Buy It Now 34m 13s
The Absolute Best Road Rock CD Free Nazareth Styx Lynyrd Skynyrd Steppenwolf BTO US $4.89 Buy It Now 41m 54s
Styx 7" vinyl - Mr. Roboto US $5.71 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Styx - Greatest Hits JAPAN CD 2001 16trk UICY-1513 US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
STYX-Cornerstone UK 9 Track LP A2 B2 Matrix EX Cond US $13.03 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Best Of Times: The Best - Styx CD Sealed ! New ! US $5.10 Buy It Now 2h 32m
STYX MR ROBOTO RARE 7" 45 SINGLE CLASSIC ROCK US $2.45 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Styx - Light Up - Promo - 45 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Mademoiselle - Promo - 45 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
Styx: Lorelei / Midnight Ride 7" 45 VG++ Canada A&M 1786-S US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Styx - Pieces of Eight - Org. 70's Vinyl Played Once - In Shrink - NM US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 53m
STYX - HITS FROM YESTERDAY & TODAY [090431846827] - NEW CD US $6.62 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Styx: Don't Let It End / Rockin' The Paradise 7" 45 NM Canada A&M 2543 US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Styx: The Best Of Times / Lights 7" 45 NM Canada A&M 2300 US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
LAWRENCE GOWAN - BUT YOU CAN CALL ME LARRY (CD) Styx, Robert Fripp US $3.75 [0 bids]
Cornerstone by Styx Classic Rock 12" Vinyl LP Record w Sleeve Excellent Condtion US $1.62 [0 bids]
Styx The Grand Illusuion 1979 CRC Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED, POSTER, EXC US $17.60 Buy It Now 3h 24m
STYX KILROY WAS HERE CASSETTE TAPE LIGHTLY USED US $5.96 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Lot Of 32 Classic Rock Records LPs, 38 Special, Thorogood, Styx, Winwood, Etc. US $20.50 [6 bids]
Styx - Kilroy was Here (Vinyl, 1983) NM US $3.99 [0 bids]
STYX-PARADISE THEATRE-JAPAN MINI LP PLATINUM SHM-CD Ltd/Ed I50 US $42.50 Buy It Now 4h 16m
STYX GREATEST HITS. AWESOME C.D! US $3.00 [0 bids]
STYX-ORIGINAL INTERVIEW N PIC-21.2.1981-REO SPEEDWAGON US $3.02 [0 bids]
STYX-PARADISE THEATRE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-SACD Ltd/Ed K25 US $48.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Dennis DeYoung Styx Desert Moon 1984 1st Sterling Press, NM, STUNNING SOUND! US $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 23m
STYX II VINYL LP RECORD WOODEN NICKEL WNS-1012 "Lady" US $6.95 Buy It Now 4h 32m
STYX...EQUINOX & BONUS SINGLE...(BABE & I'M O.K.) US $13.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $2.50 Buy It Now 4h 37m
STYX KILROY WAS HERE CASSETTE TAPE LIGHTLY USED US $4.49 [0 bids]
STYX "BEST OF", LP, RARE! US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Styx The Grand Illusion lp,NO SPINDLE HOLE MARKS AT ALL ON THE LABELS,EXC. COND! US $11.95 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Styx - Styx II LP. BXLI 1012 US $2.50 [0 bids]
1984 ARENA ROCK PROMO Tommy Shaw Girls With Guns LP Singer From STYX SOLO DEMO US $2.99 [0 bids]
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) Artist:Styx US $9.95 [0 bids]
1978 NM, A&M, 12" LP, STYX, Spl Ltd Ed No.'d Picture "Disc Pieces of Eight" Shaw US $11.99 [0 bids]
Styx Pieces Of Eight Album US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Styx, Babe / I'm O.K. US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX Paradise Theatre LP ETCHED DISC Rare! US $11.42 Buy It Now 5h 59m
1983 STYX High Time / Double Life 7" 45 rpm A&M AM-2568 NM Vinyl US $4.20 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Styx, Come Sail Away / Put Me On US $2.99 [0 bids]
Lot 2 Styx CDs ~ Paradise Theatre Gala Premiere & Styx Japan US $4.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Kilroy Was Here (100% Japanese w/ OBI) Hi Definition SHM-CD US $38.95 Buy It Now 6h 9m
STYX - PARADISE THEATER- MINI LP CD PROMO BOX NEW US $55.00 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Angel - Live Without A Net RARE ORIGINAL (Kiss, Legs Diamond, Montrose, Styx) US $16.29 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Best of Styx, Rare Mislabeled as David Bowie on 1 side US $32.00 Buy It Now 6h 34m
LP record 33 LMG123 STYX "THE GRAND ILLUSION" SP 4637 US $19.00 Buy It Now 6h 48m
Kilroy Was Here by Styx (Cassette, Feb-1983, A&M Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Styx LP Kilroy Was Here 1983 Mr. Roboto VG+/M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 51m
Styx Cornerstone Album US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Styx Album set US $15.99 Buy It Now 6h 59m
Styx Grand Illusion Album US $3.99 Buy It Now 7h 4m
RIVER STYX - S/T GARAGE ROCK LP VINYL DISTORTIONS RECORDS US $16.66 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Styx, "The Grand Illusion" Vinyl LP - 1977 A & M Records SP 4637 Album US $5.00 [0 bids]
Hits from Yesterday & Today by Styx (Cassette, Mar-2001, BMG Special NEW Sealed US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 24m
VERY RARE 1977 STYX COME SAIL AWAY 45 RECORD AND ILLUSION SLEEVE! MUST-C US $3.45 Buy It Now 7h 26m
SHAW, TOMMY - AMBITION - ROCK CANDY COLLECTOR'S EDITION CD - SEALED / STYX US $23.99 [0 bids]
Styx The Grand Illusion- 8 Track Tape- Works US $3.99 [0 bids]
VINTAGE-AM Records-STYX-"Rockin' the Paradise"-" Don't Let it End" - MINT US $5.99 [0 bids]
STYX CORNERSTONE VINTAGE RARE 8 TRACK TAPE TESTED LATE NITE BARGAIN! US $5.50 Buy It Now 7h 33m
Styx - The Grand Illusion (Vinyl, 1977) VG US $2.99 [0 bids]
JOURNEY Frontiers VG+ Vinyl LP Boston Styx van halen Budget Free ship over $20 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Rock Album Styx Kansas boston foreigner vinyl LP record Free ship over $20 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Various - Men Only ROGER DALTREY JOE JACKSON STYX GARY MOORE 10CC ROBERT PALMER US $8.14 Buy It Now 7h 36m
STYX * PIECES OF EIGHT * 33 RPM LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 7h 37m
TOMMY SHAW "WHAT IF" 1985 A&M RECORDS FACTORY SEALD STYX GUITARIST US $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 38m
STYX * CRYSTAL BALL * 33 RPM LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 7h 41m
STYX Babe The Collection 2012 Taiwan w/obi CD New Best Of Hits US $26.99 Buy It Now 7h 49m
The Grand Illusion by Styx(A&M...1977) VG LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
Diary - River Styx CD 1996 Private SCANDI HR hyper rare Swedish Hardrock gem US $5.50 [5 bids]
Styx "Pieces of Eight" 1978 US $1.99 [0 bids]
8h
Styx Caught In The Act Live 1983 Gatefold A&M SP-6514 Vinyl Record LP US $7.59 Buy It Now 8h 6m
GOWAN - NO KILT TONIGHT (SOLO LIVE - RARE OOP CD) Styx US $24.47 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN STYX NEIL YOUNG KNACK + OA RECORD NEWS TODAY ARGENTINA PROMO 7" US $103.11 Buy It Now 8h 21m
3 STYX albums - GRAND ILLUSION / CAUGHT IN THE ACT (Live) / KILROY WAS HERE US $14.69 [0 bids]
Styx Crystal Ball 33 RPM 12" Vinyl LP A & M Records 1976 GREAT MUSIC US $2.49 [0 bids]
Styx Equinox 33 RPM 12" Vinyl LP A & M Records 1975 GREAT MUSIC Look US $1.49 [0 bids]
KILROY WAS HERE by Styx 12" Vinyl Record US $9.99 [0 bids]
STYX -(LP)- THE GRAND ILLUSION FEATURING "FOOLING YOURSELF" - A US $11.99 Buy It Now 8h 49m
Pieces of Eight by Styx (Cassette, 1978, A&M (USA)) US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 51m
STYX**BIG BANG THEORY**CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 8h 56m
LITTLE RIVER BAND- GREATEST HITS CASSETTE MINT COND / THE VOUGES/ STYX/BEATLES US $13.04 [0 bids]
Lot 55 LP records Styx, Yanni, Whitney Houston, Kansas, Journey, Cougar + more US $39.99 [0 bids]
The Soundtrack of Summer: The Very Best of Foreigner & Styx * Don Felder Eagles US $1.99 [0 bids]
DENNIS DeYOUNG - Boomchild CD 1988 MCA Records USA VGC RARE! (STYX) US $22.99 [0 bids]
JAMES YOUNG - Out On A Day Pass CD 1988 Alfa Int. JAPAN OBI NEW MEGA RARE (STYX) US $50.99 [0 bids]
TOMMY SHAW - What If CD 1985/96 Absolute MINT! RARE! (STYX DAMN YANKEES) US $17.99 [0 bids]
ORIG 1978 LP-"STYX" PIECES OF EIGHT-RENEGADE,BLUE COLLAR MAN,GREAT WHITE HOPE US $1.99 [0 bids]
River Styx, Bastian Weinhold US $3.75 Buy It Now 9h 39m
STYX: Caught in the Act, Live (SP-6514) (2xLP) (A&M-1984) VG+/VG+ US $8.25 Buy It Now 9h 45m
Styx Kilroy Was Here Vinyl Record LP 1983 - VG+ SP-3734 US $5.00 [0 bids]
DENNIS DEYOUNG - DESERT MOON - STYX - NEW MINI LP CD - SHIPS FROM NEW YORK US $16.98 Buy It Now 10h 9m
Pieces Of Eight - Styx (CD 1990) US $9.74 Buy It Now 10h 12m
STYX Paradise Theater SEALED 1980 Orig. LP A&M SP-3719 UNPLAYED Dennis DeYoung US $29.99 Buy It Now 10h 14m
STYX EDGE OF THE CENTURY + DENNIS DEYOUNG CASSETTE LOT US $11.99 Buy It Now 10h 15m
STYX babe 7" CS EX/EX uk a&m US $11.40 Buy It Now 10h 18m
STYX Come Sail Away/Put Me On 45 RPM US $7.00 Buy It Now 10h 20m
Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands Japan Promo 45 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Kilroy Was Here Japan LP Obi US $9.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Brave New World ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(9%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(11%)

STYX Brave New World reviews

Review by Gatot
3 stars Regardless it's being prog or not, just consider it as a rock band, what Styx album(s) do you really favor? I would go for "Man of Miracles" and "Equinox". But hold on . it's a tough choice, actually. Why? I think in every album that Styx has ever released, there has been clearly more than 50% of its music in its typical album is excellent. Either it's catchy or having a great composition like the one in Equinox album where I think "Born for an Adventure" is truly a great hard rock song. Talking about "Man of Miracles", I have "A Song for Suzanne", "Evil Eyes" and "Christopher Mr Christopher" that are really excellent tracks! Or . I also like "Castle Walls" of "The Grand Illusion" album. Not only that, I also like the "Mr Robotto" track from Killroy Was Here, and also ."Blue Collar Man"!!!!

Having that sort of traditional emotional bond with the band, I inclined to purchase this "Brave New World" CD but .. the price was unbelievably not friendly at all. So I did not purchase it until couple of weeks ago I was offered a sales promotion from the Missing Piece .. so I bought it. Ehem! To my surprise, this album .

..is enjoyable and has a good composition!

Having known this after two or three spins, actually I did not mind to purchase the CD with such unfriendly price. But now I benefit this good album with friendly (indeed, it's very cheap!) price. You know then how I feel, I got a great deal of price for good music "Brave New World" offers. Of course, this is nothing like "Equinox" or "Man of Miracles", but look at this persepective: forget that this is "new" Styx album and assume it's being played by a new band .. I bet you would like it! Yes, it's not that prog, even though some tracks have a bit of prog element in it, but the overall music is just good.

"I Will Be Your Witness" (4:31) is definitely a solid composition music with great guitar riffs in reggae-rock fusion. You may not recognize this as Styx if you do not recognize the vocal style. "Brave New World" (5:14) - the composition is tighter than the opening track especially during the ambient nuance at the opening part which reminds me to Bali Island in Indonesia. As the music flows I bring myself engrossed with the music beautifully. The other excellent track is "Number One" (4:33) which has a bit of prog structure. You still can find good rocker like "What Have They Done To You" (4:33) which reminds me to Kilroy Was Here album. "Fallen Angel" (4:49) is a nice ballad. Another great rocker is "Heavy Water" (4:29). The album concludes with "Brave New World (Reprise)" (3:31).

Overall, it's an enjoyable album from Styx. And this album represents the last album with Dennis De Young. What good also about this album is the appearance of great prog violinist Jerry Goodman. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#179238) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 09, 2008

Review by Finnforest
3 stars A flawed album but one I enjoy

In the mid 90s Styx mounted a highly successful reunion tour with the core members in tact, the tour so many fans waited years for. With momentum on their side after the tour they attempted to pull off another feat with a new studio album. Rather than capitalize and set aside their personal gripes with each other, they blew it. The resulting sessions brought back the divisions and animosity that plagued them for so long. I won't go into the details, but suffice to say both camps played their role in sinking any chance of continuing their legacy, and DeYoung was right to call the album a "missed opportunity." This could have been a great project had the DeYoung camp and the Shaw/Young camp allowed it to be, instead, many of the criticisms you read about the album's failures are not unfounded. It can sound less than cohesive, unfinished, sometimes like demos, and it fails to capture the magic that could be glorious when these three musicians set aside their bickering and helped each other reach their potential. When I first heard the record I hated it, and I nearly wrote a scathing review early on. Instead, the disc got stuck in my car during a difficult personal period, when I simply kept playing it because I was often too distressed to rotate discs as I normally would. I ended up liking this flawed record. Despite the Shaw/Young camp's tragic decision to toss Styx's undeniable leader, and damn the consequences in quality, the album that almost "never was" has its moments. The band even stopped recording it at one point during their hostilities, only to be forced by the label to finish it, lest lawsuits begin. There are so many little details working against this album that its very presence is something of a miracle.

Despite less of the art rock glitter and prog-rock influence of the 1970s, the material on "Brave New World" could have been Styx-ized had there been true collaboration. It would still be more straightforward rock but it could have been quite different. Instead, the Shaw tracks can sound like Bon Jovi while the DeYoung tracks sometimes sound like he was being paid to pen ballads for American Idol contestants. Neither scenario a compliment. The songs from the two camps could not sound more indifferent towards each other, this really is two solo albums having a shotgun wedding. It is somewhat ironic that Shaw and Young's vision for the album was a conceptual commentary on a bleak future, not unlike what DeYoung tried to do with the Kilroy theme those two hated so much. This time around, it is DeYoung's songs who sound like they are mostly removed from the album's themes. The roles have reversed in that compositional sense. Shaw had control here, while DeYoung was being blindfolded and tied to the tree, after just consuming his final meal and being offered a cigarette.

Shaw/Young's tracks are almost completely devoid of any DeYoung presence, it sounds as if they stripped away whatever significant presence he may have offered laid their songs. It's a shame because some of those tracks could have benefited immensely from Dennis' talents, which remain very much in tact. Their tracks are mostly very catchy rock songs on the heavy but accessible side, driven by Todd Sucherman's more aggressive drumming style and a desire to have fun. James delivers his usual kitschy vocal (such a character) as he trades line with Shaw on "What have they done to you." Tommy's voice is a bit thinner and more warbled than in his youth but he can still hit the high notes. "I will be your witness" features a groovy guitar part with tons of swagger and a light, easygoing chorus---pretty effective pop songwriting. "Heavy Water" approaches a crushing sound as the heavy James vehicle this time out. The title track is reprised at the end like they did with Kilroy, with bits of "Heavy Water's" chorus coming through. These guys were writing rock songs they could bring to the stage and command. I would guess all of these songs sound much fuller and heavier on tour than here.

Dennis' material ranges from the pure sappy ballad (While There's Still Time) to the introspective (Fallen Angel) to the playful (High Crimes & Misdemeanors) which is subtitled "Hip Hop-Cracy." You really have to hear that one! "Great Expectations" is a strong track in the show tunes style DeYoung has embraced since working Broadway. He closes his tracks with "Goodbye Roseland" which is a poignant and personal farewell to his old neighborhood, his father, his youthful memories. Dennis' father died around this period of the same disease that recently took my own Dad. To say I found the song moving would be an understatement, as I was hearing it the week I buried my Dad, nothing like coincidences. DeYoung was left standing on the shore as the Shaw led band sailed away to a new future without him. Dennis may have had the last laugh though. While Styx proper rocks the casinos and state fairs, DeYoung has released a new solo album that some fans call the best work by any Styxian, alone or together, since 1980. It is called "One Hundred Years from Now" if you wish to check it out. They carry on separately now, but like the Floyd situation, their work apart will never match what they did together as a true band in the 1970s. Tommy and James enjoying performing more than recording, Dennis enjoys perfecting the studio sound. Fans will have to decide for themselves where their interests lie in these musicians. The base seemed as split over things as the band themselves.

If you never liked Styx in their glory years, you sure as hell won't like this album. But for me it is a nice coda to a band I enjoy, despite the obvious flaws. I like this album more than Kilroy despite the fact that many Styx fans reject it. I have a feeling most PA reviewers would give this two stars (or 1), but I have to bump it to three personally. I had fun.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#464691) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 19, 2011

3 stars I'm not sure what to say here exactly, so I'll start with a very short story. When I heard that Styx were going to re-form to record a long awaited follow up album to 1990's "Edge Of The Century" I was thrilled but quite skeptical. I know in 1990 I was unsure of what to think about "Edge!" ... (read more)

Report this review (#38853) | Posted by silversaw | Friday, July 08, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars If 'Kilroy was here' was a bizarre miss-step for the band, this was triple-suicide. Does every Tommy Shaw song have to mention either 'Manic Depression' or 'Prosac'? And the bad part is it starts out so promisingly. I might give a song-by-song run down for this one 1. "I will be your witness" - T ... (read more)

Report this review (#17419) | Posted by Brendan | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars If you want hear a pop album, go away, buy this disc, but if you want art rock... pass away. This is not an horrible work, sometimes can be enjoyable, but is a great deception for the Styx fans, can be sure... ... (read more)

Report this review (#17416) | Posted by | Sunday, February 08, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars What a waste. With the majority of the original Styx lineup, fans expected a fantastic album...and instead, they got this. At its best, it's a disjointed effort with a few good tracks that really shine, and at its worst, it's a piece of horrifying garbage that left Styx fans dismayed and disappoin ... (read more)

Report this review (#17415) | Posted by | Friday, December 26, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Brave New World "