BRAVE NEW WORLD

Styx Brave New World  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy STYX Music
Studio Album, released in 1999

1. I Will Be Your Witness (4:31)
2. Brave New World (5:14)
3. While There's Still Time (3:53)
4. Number One (4:33)
5. Best New Face (3:36)
6. What Have They Done To You (4:33)
7. Fallen Angel (4:49)
8. Everything Is Cool (5:19)
9. Great Expectations (4:44)
10. Heavy Water (4:29)
11. High Crimes & Misdemeanors (3:26)
12. Just Fell In (3:25)
13. Goodbye Roseland (3:49)
14. Brave New World (Reprise) (3:31)

Search STYX Brave New World lyrics

Search STYX Brave New World tabs

- Jerry Goodman / violin
- Dennis DeYoung / keyboards, vocals
- Tommy Shaw / guitar (acoustic), guitar (electric), keyboards, vocals
- James Young / guitar, vocals
- Chuck Panozzo / guitar (bass)

CD CMC International 86275

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Brave New World Music

Hybrid SACD - DSD
Audio Fidelity 2014
Kilroy Was HereKilroy Was Here
A&M 1990
Lights Styx UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) AMSP7528 A&M 1979 US $19.58 Buy It Now 1h 7m
STYX - THE GRAND ILLUSION - LP - POSTER + LYRICS BOOKLET INSIDE US $4.99 [0 bids]
Styx: Best Of LP VG+/VG++ Canada Wooden Nickel CYL1-2250 US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
STYX the grand illusion G/VG USA SP-4637 | 14-0606-009 US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
8 track tapes lot, Styx, cabaret, Chicago, Barry Manalow much more greats US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Paradise Theater Styx CD album (CDLP) USA CD-3240 A&M RECORDS US $14.84 Buy It Now 2h 30m
STYX Rock Gallery ~ GATEFOLD 2 x VINYL LP GERMAN PRESS US $6.83 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Styx Compact Hits UK CD single (CD5 / 5") AMCD904 A&M 1980 US $24.80 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Styx-Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight-Live US $8.47 Buy It Now 5h 8m
NEW Equinox Styx US $15.01 Buy It Now 5h 18m
DENNIS DE YOUNG Back To The World STYX solo mint Lp US $5.26 [0 bids]
STYX The Grand Illusion NM still in shrink wrap Lp US $7.56 [0 bids]
STYX Cornerstone 180G Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED Music On Vinyl US $39.29 Buy It Now 5h 51m
Paradise Theater by Styx US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
STYX - EXTENDED VERSIONS - NEW CD US $7.88 Buy It Now 6h 16m
Styx Classics Volume 15th (25th Anniversary) CD - A&M 1990 US $0.99 [1 bids]
STYX BEST OF STYX ULTRA RARE AUSTRALIAN RELEASE CASSETTE TAPE US $19.94 Buy It Now 7h 19m
The Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight Live [Digipak] by Styx (CD, May-2013, 2... US $11.30 Buy It Now 7h 31m
STYX LADY CASSETTE WODEN NICKEL 1980 US $6.89 Buy It Now 7h 32m
Styx Equinox Vinyl LP Record A&M SP 4559 1975 US $4.99 [0 bids]
70's Rock Lot 5 LP Styx, The Who, Supertramp All ULTRASONIC Cleaned, VG-EXC 19 US $16.99 [0 bids]
Styx - 'Pardise Theatre' UK laser-etched LP G/F. Ex! US $13.68 Buy It Now 7h 57m
GLEN BURTNICK 1987 'HEROES & ZEROS' AOR PROMO LP NM STYX NEAL SCHON US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 9m
Styx Kilroy Was Here LP album with Mr. Roboto A&M 1983 Styx vinyl! US $9.60 Buy It Now 8h 18m
Rare Styx Lady EX vintage vinyl record RCA AFL-3594-A/AOL 1-3594 1980 re-release US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 20m
Magazine Ian Dury Styx The Tubes - 1978 Concert Flyer. Hammersmith Odeon US $34.24 Buy It Now 9h 4m
1979 STYX "WHY ME/LIGHTS" 7" 45 RECORD EXCELLENT CONDITION US $1.75 Buy It Now 9h 10m
STYX-GREATEST HITS-JAPAN SHM-CD D50 US $20.99 Buy It Now 9h 21m
Styx - Don't Let It End - A&M 2543 w/PS US $1.99 Buy It Now 9h 24m
American Top 40 5-26-79 Blondie Cheap Trick Village People Van Halen Styx US $74.99 [2 bids]
Styx - Greatest Hits (1995) - Used - Compact Disc US $2.00 [0 bids]
ROADIE SOUNDTRACK BLONDIE STYX ALICE COOPER CASSETTE US US $17.12 Buy It Now 9h 58m
ULTIMATE BALLAD COLLECTION CASSETTE 4 14track RDC93264 REO STYX HEART SAD CAFE US $12.84 Buy It Now 10h 2m
Styx-Blue Collar Man (PS) MINT US $6.50 Buy It Now 10h 5m
Styx - Greatest Hits US $12.73 Buy It Now 10h 5m
5 Albums(Beck,Queen,Styx) US $6.00 [0 bids]
STYX - BABE - PORTUGAL 45 FREE SHIPPING US $15.00 Buy It Now 10h 12m
Styx Pieces of Eight LP 1978 A&M SP 4724 Gatefold Sterling TJ Vinyl Record US $6.64 Buy It Now 10h 13m
STYX PIECES OF EIGHT '78 GATEFOLD CANADA VINYL LP+ INNER* NEAR MINT COLLECTABLE US $17.03 Buy It Now 10h 15m
AJA Steely Dan & Pieces of Eight By Styx BASF Reel-to-Reel Tape Recording US $20.00 [0 bids]
STYX Paradise Theater RARE LIMITED EDITION ETCHED LP 1981 USA A US $129.29 Buy It Now 10h 33m
Icon by Styx (CD, Aug-2010, A&M (USA)) US $1.00 [0 bids]
The Grand Illusion by Styx(A&M...1977) VG LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
STYX 'The Best Of Times' 1981 Dutch 7"/45 rpm vinyl single US $6.83 [0 bids]
STYX - MR. ROBOTO / SNOWBLIND - 45 - PIC SLEEVE - AM-2525 US $4.95 Buy It Now 11h 3m
STYX cornerstone LP 9 track gatefold with inner (amlk63711) uk a US $9.74 Buy It Now 11h 6m
STYX-GRAND ILLUSION/PIECE CD NEW US $24.75 Buy It Now 11h 13m
Styx / Cornerstone / 1979 / A+M SP-3711 / Babe, Why Me US $4.50 Buy It Now 11h 15m
STYX GRAND ILLUSION A&M AUDIOPHILE SERIES GATEFOLD VINYL LP STUNNING MINT COPY US $24.95 [0 bids]
LP STYX CAUGHT IN THE ACT **PHILIPPENES ISSUE** US $11.99 Buy It Now 11h 36m
STYX---CAUGHT IN THE ACT LIVE US $7.00 [0 bids]
HIT KIT II-VARIOUS-WHITE PROMO-SEALED-SAMPLER-RARE-STYX-NO TMOQ/COLOR/RSD/BOX/45 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Styx Paradise Theater 1980 SP3719 Etched Record US $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 58m
Styx Edge of the Century CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 58m
STYX 1978 Pieces Of Eight 12" Vinyl 33 LP RENEGADE Blue Collar Man PROG ROCK VG US $9.99 [0 bids]
Dennis DeYoung - Desert Moon 1987 Vinyl w/ Lyric insert / Styx US $2.99 Buy It Now 12h 17m
STYX Why Me / Lights 45 rpm record 1979 US $16.99 Buy It Now 12h 20m
Rock/Pop Lot 5 LP Springsteen, Styx, Hornsby, All ULTRASONIC Cleaned, VG-EXC 2 US $14.99 [0 bids]
2 Lp Lot Steely Dan "The Royal Scam" & Styx "Paradise Gala Theater" US $14.99 Buy It Now 12h 36m
SINISTER original CD - Cross the Styx, Rare! (MORBID ANGEL, Cancer) 1992 Death US $31.00 [5 bids]
STYX - Cornerstone Cassette tape NEW sealed US $19.98 Buy It Now 12h 58m
Styx - Extended Versions (CD, Feb-2000, BMG Special Products) US $4.64 Buy It Now 12h 58m
Styx - Paradise Theater (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) CD 3240 US $6.04 Buy It Now 13h 4m
Styx - Classics, Vol. 15 (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) CLASSICS US $3.71 Buy It Now 13h 7m
Styx - Kilroy Was Here (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA) CD 3734 US $6.50 Buy It Now 13h 9m
3X VINYL LPS FROM STYX ! 1980'S ROCK AND ROLL, AWSOME LPS ! US $1.99 Buy It Now 13h 19m
Styx - Caught In The Act 2lp Gatefold Live A&M SP-6514 US $6.99 Buy It Now 13h 26m
RARE TEST PRESS 45 - STYX - DON'T LET IT END - MONARCH RECORD MFG. VG++ US $16.99 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Damn Yankees-Donīt Tread 1992 CD Ted Nugent Night Ranger Styx Tommy Shaw US $5.99 Buy It Now 13h 28m
STYX - I'M O.K. - SING FOR THE DAY - JAPAN 7" 45 JAPANESE US $29.99 [0 bids]
Cornerstone [Limited Edition] by Styx (Vinyl, May-2012, Friday Music) US $25.02 Buy It Now 13h 48m
STYX CD..Greatest Hits, Pt. 2 by Styx (CD, Jun-1996, A&M (USA))THE BEST OF US $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 50m
Styx - Best Of Styx (LP 1977 Wooden Nickel BXL1-2250) VG+/NM US $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 5m
Styx - Paradise Theater (LP 1980 A&M SP-3719) VG++/NM w/Sleeve Etched US $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 6m
Styx - Pieces Of Eight (LP 1978 A&M SP-4724) VG++/NM w/Sleeve US $3.99 Buy It Now 14h 6m
Styx - Pieces of Eight (LP A&M SP 4724) VG+/VG+ US $1.99 Buy It Now 14h 6m
Lot of 4 Classic Vinyl Records!!!! (Styx & The Marshall Tucker Band!!!!) US $11.50 Buy It Now 14h 9m
STYX - Cornerstone - 1979 VG CONDITION US $4.99 [0 bids]
STYX - PARADISE 1980 VG CONDITION US $8.99 [0 bids]
STYX - CAUGHT IN THE ACT "LIVE" - 2 LP SET - A&M SP-6514 - "SEALED" - "SEALED" US $42.00 Buy It Now 14h 27m
DENNIS DEYOUNG Desert Moon LP OOP mid-80's pop-rock Styx US $2.99 Buy It Now 14h 48m
STYX "Extended Versions" cassette tape. BMG Special.. Brand NEW SEALED US $2.29 Buy It Now 15h 5m
STYX - KILROY WAS HERE - A&M SP 3734 ORIGINAL CANADIAN PRESSING US $14.99 [0 bids]
LOT OF 10 ROCK LP'S STYX LOVERBOY FOREIGNER REO DOOBIE BROTHERS US $25.00 [0 bids]
1978 Styx - Pieces Of Eight Picture Disk Album LP PR 4724 US $15.00 Buy It Now 15h 18m
STYX-KILROY WAS HERE CD NEW US $7.90 Buy It Now 15h 22m
STYX-CAUGHT IN THE ACT CD NEW US $14.02 Buy It Now 15h 22m
STYX-CORNERSTONE CD NEW US $7.90 Buy It Now 15h 22m
STYX-PARADISE THEATRE CD NEW US $7.90 Buy It Now 15h 22m
STYX-REGENERATION CD NEW US $16.05 Buy It Now 15h 22m
STYX-GRAND ILLUSION+PIECE CD NEW US $16.38 Buy It Now 15h 22m
STYX - EXTENDED VERSIONS [STYX] [090431893227] - NEW CD US $4.73 Buy It Now 15h 38m
Styx 4 Lp Lot Cornerstone, Caught Live, Pieces Of Eight, Kilroy Was Here Roboto US $21.99 Buy It Now 15h 49m
Ambition by Tommy Shaw CD Atlantic Records Styx Damn Yankees US $11.49 [0 bids]
Girls With Guns by Tommy Shaw CD Absolute Records Styx Damn Yankees US $11.49 [0 bids]
1980 STYX LP - Paradise Theatre Gatefold, Etched VG+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
Styx Paradise Theatre 1980 LP VG US $2.95 Buy It Now 16h 30m
STYX - PIECES OF EIGHT (SP4724) a great album, rockin' music! US $5.00 Buy It Now 16h 36m
LP 1980 Styx A&M SP-3719 Very Nice! US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX PARADISE THEATRE 8 TRACK TAPE 1980 A & M US $7.99 Buy It Now 16h 46m

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Brave New World ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(9%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(12%)

STYX Brave New World reviews

Review by Gatot
3 stars Regardless it's being prog or not, just consider it as a rock band, what Styx album(s) do you really favor? I would go for "Man of Miracles" and "Equinox". But hold on . it's a tough choice, actually. Why? I think in every album that Styx has ever released, there has been clearly more than 50% of its music in its typical album is excellent. Either it's catchy or having a great composition like the one in Equinox album where I think "Born for an Adventure" is truly a great hard rock song. Talking about "Man of Miracles", I have "A Song for Suzanne", "Evil Eyes" and "Christopher Mr Christopher" that are really excellent tracks! Or . I also like "Castle Walls" of "The Grand Illusion" album. Not only that, I also like the "Mr Robotto" track from Killroy Was Here, and also ."Blue Collar Man"!!!!

Having that sort of traditional emotional bond with the band, I inclined to purchase this "Brave New World" CD but .. the price was unbelievably not friendly at all. So I did not purchase it until couple of weeks ago I was offered a sales promotion from the Missing Piece .. so I bought it. Ehem! To my surprise, this album .

..is enjoyable and has a good composition!

Having known this after two or three spins, actually I did not mind to purchase the CD with such unfriendly price. But now I benefit this good album with friendly (indeed, it's very cheap!) price. You know then how I feel, I got a great deal of price for good music "Brave New World" offers. Of course, this is nothing like "Equinox" or "Man of Miracles", but look at this persepective: forget that this is "new" Styx album and assume it's being played by a new band .. I bet you would like it! Yes, it's not that prog, even though some tracks have a bit of prog element in it, but the overall music is just good.

"I Will Be Your Witness" (4:31) is definitely a solid composition music with great guitar riffs in reggae-rock fusion. You may not recognize this as Styx if you do not recognize the vocal style. "Brave New World" (5:14) - the composition is tighter than the opening track especially during the ambient nuance at the opening part which reminds me to Bali Island in Indonesia. As the music flows I bring myself engrossed with the music beautifully. The other excellent track is "Number One" (4:33) which has a bit of prog structure. You still can find good rocker like "What Have They Done To You" (4:33) which reminds me to Kilroy Was Here album. "Fallen Angel" (4:49) is a nice ballad. Another great rocker is "Heavy Water" (4:29). The album concludes with "Brave New World (Reprise)" (3:31).

Overall, it's an enjoyable album from Styx. And this album represents the last album with Dennis De Young. What good also about this album is the appearance of great prog violinist Jerry Goodman. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#179238) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 09, 2008

Review by Finnforest
3 stars A flawed album but one I enjoy

In the mid 90s Styx mounted a highly successful reunion tour with the core members in tact, the tour so many fans waited years for. With momentum on their side after the tour they attempted to pull off another feat with a new studio album. Rather than capitalize and set aside their personal gripes with each other, they blew it. The resulting sessions brought back the divisions and animosity that plagued them for so long. I won't go into the details, but suffice to say both camps played their role in sinking any chance of continuing their legacy, and DeYoung was right to call the album a "missed opportunity." This could have been a great project had the DeYoung camp and the Shaw/Young camp allowed it to be, instead, many of the criticisms you read about the album's failures are not unfounded. It can sound less than cohesive, unfinished, sometimes like demos, and it fails to capture the magic that could be glorious when these three musicians set aside their bickering and helped each other reach their potential. When I first heard the record I hated it, and I nearly wrote a scathing review early on. Instead, the disc got stuck in my car during a difficult personal period, when I simply kept playing it because I was often too distressed to rotate discs as I normally would. I ended up liking this flawed record. Despite the Shaw/Young camp's tragic decision to toss Styx's undeniable leader, and damn the consequences in quality, the album that almost "never was" has its moments. The band even stopped recording it at one point during their hostilities, only to be forced by the label to finish it, lest lawsuits begin. There are so many little details working against this album that its very presence is something of a miracle.

Despite less of the art rock glitter and prog-rock influence of the 1970s, the material on "Brave New World" could have been Styx-ized had there been true collaboration. It would still be more straightforward rock but it could have been quite different. Instead, the Shaw tracks can sound like Bon Jovi while the DeYoung tracks sometimes sound like he was being paid to pen ballads for American Idol contestants. Neither scenario a compliment. The songs from the two camps could not sound more indifferent towards each other, this really is two solo albums having a shotgun wedding. It is somewhat ironic that Shaw and Young's vision for the album was a conceptual commentary on a bleak future, not unlike what DeYoung tried to do with the Kilroy theme those two hated so much. This time around, it is DeYoung's songs who sound like they are mostly removed from the album's themes. The roles have reversed in that compositional sense. Shaw had control here, while DeYoung was being blindfolded and tied to the tree, after just consuming his final meal and being offered a cigarette.

Shaw/Young's tracks are almost completely devoid of any DeYoung presence, it sounds as if they stripped away whatever significant presence he may have offered laid their songs. It's a shame because some of those tracks could have benefited immensely from Dennis' talents, which remain very much in tact. Their tracks are mostly very catchy rock songs on the heavy but accessible side, driven by Todd Sucherman's more aggressive drumming style and a desire to have fun. James delivers his usual kitschy vocal (such a character) as he trades line with Shaw on "What have they done to you." Tommy's voice is a bit thinner and more warbled than in his youth but he can still hit the high notes. "I will be your witness" features a groovy guitar part with tons of swagger and a light, easygoing chorus---pretty effective pop songwriting. "Heavy Water" approaches a crushing sound as the heavy James vehicle this time out. The title track is reprised at the end like they did with Kilroy, with bits of "Heavy Water's" chorus coming through. These guys were writing rock songs they could bring to the stage and command. I would guess all of these songs sound much fuller and heavier on tour than here.

Dennis' material ranges from the pure sappy ballad (While There's Still Time) to the introspective (Fallen Angel) to the playful (High Crimes & Misdemeanors) which is subtitled "Hip Hop-Cracy." You really have to hear that one! "Great Expectations" is a strong track in the show tunes style DeYoung has embraced since working Broadway. He closes his tracks with "Goodbye Roseland" which is a poignant and personal farewell to his old neighborhood, his father, his youthful memories. Dennis' father died around this period of the same disease that recently took my own Dad. To say I found the song moving would be an understatement, as I was hearing it the week I buried my Dad, nothing like coincidences. DeYoung was left standing on the shore as the Shaw led band sailed away to a new future without him. Dennis may have had the last laugh though. While Styx proper rocks the casinos and state fairs, DeYoung has released a new solo album that some fans call the best work by any Styxian, alone or together, since 1980. It is called "One Hundred Years from Now" if you wish to check it out. They carry on separately now, but like the Floyd situation, their work apart will never match what they did together as a true band in the 1970s. Tommy and James enjoying performing more than recording, Dennis enjoys perfecting the studio sound. Fans will have to decide for themselves where their interests lie in these musicians. The base seemed as split over things as the band themselves.

If you never liked Styx in their glory years, you sure as hell won't like this album. But for me it is a nice coda to a band I enjoy, despite the obvious flaws. I like this album more than Kilroy despite the fact that many Styx fans reject it. I have a feeling most PA reviewers would give this two stars (or 1), but I have to bump it to three personally. I had fun.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#464691) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 19, 2011

3 stars I'm not sure what to say here exactly, so I'll start with a very short story. When I heard that Styx were going to re-form to record a long awaited follow up album to 1990's "Edge Of The Century" I was thrilled but quite skeptical. I know in 1990 I was unsure of what to think about "Edge!" ... (read more)

Report this review (#38853) | Posted by silversaw | Friday, July 08, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars If 'Kilroy was here' was a bizarre miss-step for the band, this was triple-suicide. Does every Tommy Shaw song have to mention either 'Manic Depression' or 'Prosac'? And the bad part is it starts out so promisingly. I might give a song-by-song run down for this one 1. "I will be your witness" - T ... (read more)

Report this review (#17419) | Posted by Brendan | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars If you want hear a pop album, go away, buy this disc, but if you want art rock... pass away. This is not an horrible work, sometimes can be enjoyable, but is a great deception for the Styx fans, can be sure... ... (read more)

Report this review (#17416) | Posted by | Sunday, February 08, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars What a waste. With the majority of the original Styx lineup, fans expected a fantastic album...and instead, they got this. At its best, it's a disjointed effort with a few good tracks that really shine, and at its worst, it's a piece of horrifying garbage that left Styx fans dismayed and disappoin ... (read more)

Report this review (#17415) | Posted by | Friday, December 26, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Brave New World "