BRAVE NEW WORLD

Styx Brave New World  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy STYX Music
Studio Album, released in 1999

1. I Will Be Your Witness (4:31)
2. Brave New World (5:14)
3. While There's Still Time (3:53)
4. Number One (4:33)
5. Best New Face (3:36)
6. What Have They Done To You (4:33)
7. Fallen Angel (4:49)
8. Everything Is Cool (5:19)
9. Great Expectations (4:44)
10. Heavy Water (4:29)
11. High Crimes & Misdemeanors (3:26)
12. Just Fell In (3:25)
13. Goodbye Roseland (3:49)
14. Brave New World (Reprise) (3:31)

Search STYX Brave New World lyrics

Search STYX Brave New World tabs

- Jerry Goodman / violin
- Dennis DeYoung / keyboards, vocals
- Tommy Shaw / guitar (acoustic), guitar (electric), keyboards, vocals
- James Young / guitar, vocals
- Chuck Panozzo / guitar (bass)

CD CMC International 86275

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Brave New World Music

EquinoxEquinox
CornerstoneCornerstone
Crystal BallCrystal Ball
A&M 1990
Styx - Can't Find My Way Home - Universal 2005 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $7.98 Buy It Now 49m 5s
Styx Paradise Theatre Vinyl LP Heavy Rock Vinyl Is Beautifully Etched! US $8.14 [1 bids]
STYX PIECES OF EIGHT RARE LP record vinyl INDIA INDIAN US $74.25 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Styx - Cornerstone [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 38m
STYX..MAXI-SINGLE E.P...EXCELLENT 1977 POP 7" incl. MADAMOISELLE...AMS 7355 US $4.97 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Styx - Grand Illusion (CD) US $1.64 [0 bids]
LAWRENCE GOWAN - BUT YOU CAN CALL ME LARRY (CD) Styx, Robert Fripp US $3.82 [0 bids]
1978 NM, A&M, 12" LP, STYX, Spl Ltd Ed No.'d Picture "Disc Pieces of Eight" Shaw US $11.99 [0 bids]
Paradise Theater Styx (Early CD 1980 A&M) UPC07502132402 Near Mint !! US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Styx(Vinyl LP)Cornerstone-A & M-AMLK 63711-UK-VG/VG US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Styx Cornerstone - Original 1979 First Press A2/B2 UK LP VG/EX US $8.29 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $1.75 [0 bids]
Styx The Grand Illusion 1977 TML 1st Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED, ARCHIVE MASTER US $45.00 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Styx Pieces of Eight 1st 1978 Sterling TJ Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED! VG+ US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 9m
STYX PARADISE THEATER JAPAN EMPTY PROMO MINI LP CD STORAGE BOX SET VERY RARE! US $89.99 Buy It Now 4h 15m
STYX "Paradise Theater" DIFFERENT ISRAELI LP* HEBREW PRINTS US $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 31m
JOE SAMPLE "CARMEL" 1979* ORIGINAL CD /DEAN PARKS, STYX HOOPER* MINT!! US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 31m
STYX THE BEST OF VG++ US $4.00 Buy It Now 4h 51m
STYX THE GRAND ILLUSION CRC WITH POSTER, VG+ HEAR IT US $12.00 Buy It Now 4h 51m
Lot of 3 Styx Vinyl Records, Cornerstone, Equinox and Styx II US $8.99 [0 bids]
DAMN YANKEES "S/T" CD 1990 ted nugent styx US $6.00 Buy It Now 5h 37m
STYX - STYX PIECES OF EIGHT LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
DENNIS DEYOUNG (STYX) - HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME CD-A MUSICAL BY DENNIS DEYOUNG US $28.73 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Damn Yankees by Damn Yankees CD 1990 Warner Bros. Styx Nugent Night Ranger VG+ US $2.49 Buy It Now 6h 18m
Tribute to Styx by Various Artists US $8.31 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Kilroy Was Here by Styx (Cassette, Feb-1983, A&M Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Styx Classics Volume 15 US $3.99 Buy It Now 6h 35m
STYX PURPLE TRANSLUCENT WAX VINYL LP - KILROY WAS HERE SP 3734 STERLING NM-/VG+ US $19.89 [0 bids]
Styx : The Best Of (German Import LP) US $8.00 Buy It Now 6h 47m
STYX You Need Love Orig 1973 U.S. Vinyl 7" Promo 45 NM- US $2.50 Buy It Now 6h 50m
Styx: The Grand Illusion (NO ifpi, A&M Records, Japan) US $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 2m
STYX "PARADISE THEATRE" Legendary LP - ETCHED VINYL Awesome Excellent/NM US $7.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Pieces Of Eight - 1978 - Vinyl - LP US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Styx _ pieces of eight lp US $0.99 [0 bids]
STYX - CRYSTAL BALL LP - 1976 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Styx Lights 7 inch Vinyl US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 55m
STYX-GREATEST HITS-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B43 US $14.50 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Wholesale lot 20 Record Albums #23, Timi Yuro, Styx, Tony Bennett, Martin, More! US $19.25 [0 bids]
GOWAN - NO KILT TONIGHT (SOLO LIVE - RARE OOP CD) Styx US $24.91 [0 bids]
LITTLE RIVER BAND- GREATEST HITS CASSETTE MINT COND / THE VOUGES/ STYX/BEATLES US $13.04 [0 bids]
STYX - PARADISE GALA PREMIERE US $3.99 [0 bids]
Styx-1983 poster size press advert US $16.59 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Sealed LP Maxell Rock II Sampler Styx Poco Hall Oates US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 26m
Styx, Cyclorama Audio CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 35m
Styx Kilroy Was Here Vinyl Record LP 1983 - VG+ SP-3734 US $5.00 [0 bids]
"Requiem For Americas" Duran Duran Police Styx John Waite Grace Jones Ian Lloyd US $3.00 [0 bids]
Cornerstone by Styx (Vinyl, Jan-2013, Music on Vinyl) US $1.99 [0 bids]
STYX Mr Roboto 7" FRENCH Vinyl 45! US $1.64 [0 bids]
STYX Boat On The River 7" GERMAN Vinyl 45! US $1.64 [0 bids]
Mr. Roberto/Snowblind by the STYX 45 music record (LIKE NEW) Vinyl US $9.90 [0 bids]
Styx 4 LP Lot Grand Illusion Paradise Theater pieces of eight Equinox US $15.00 Buy It Now 10h 11m
STYX - THE GRAND ILLUSION - SP-4637 (VINYL RECORD) US $16.22 Buy It Now 10h 14m
DENNIS DEYOUNG - STYX KEYBOARD PLAYER - BACK TO THE WORLD - NEW MINI LP CD US $17.98 Buy It Now 10h 21m
Rock NM! 45 STYX You Need Love on Wooden Nickel 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 50m
STYX "EQUINO" - 12" LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
11h
Styx: Kilroy Was Here LP US $6.50 Buy It Now 11h 8m
Various Artists Styx Classics CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 11h 9m
Show Me the Way [Cassette Single] [Single] by Styx (Cassette, A&M) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Brave New World (AOR, Pomp, SPV 1999,Kansas,Thrills,Zon,Trillion, Everest US $5.80 [0 bids]
Tommy Shaw - What If (VERY RARE Orig.German Issue / A&M 395097-2 1985 / Styx) US $33.20 [0 bids]
Styx Paradise Theatre CD (1980, A & M CD-3240) US $6.00 Buy It Now 11h 51m
STYX + PIECES OF EIGHT+ PICTURE DISC +CLASSIC ROCK+1978 US $9.98 [0 bids]
Styx Lp Pieces of Eight 1978 A&M records US $11.65 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Styx Lp Equinox 1975 A&M records US $11.65 Buy It Now 12h 10m
STYX "Paradise Theater" CD : A&M CD 3240 @ 1980 Hard ROCK US $8.99 Buy It Now 12h 41m
STYX THE GRAND ILLUSION 12" VINYL RECORD ALBUM /EXCELLENT/ROCK/33RPM/FAST SHIP US $9.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Paradise Theater (SP-3719) Laser Etched Gatefold US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 45m
Styx "The Grand Illusion" CD Dennis DeYoung Tommy Shaw Melodic Art Arena Rock US $1.50 [0 bids]
BEST OF STYX GREATEST HITS CD 70s HARD ROCK SEVENTIES OLDIES POP FM RADIO MUSIC US $11.27 [0 bids]
WOLFGANG RIHM - WOLFGANG RIHM: MUSIK F R OBOE UND ORCHESTER; STYX UND - NEW CD US $12.33 Buy It Now 12h 51m
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
BEST OF STYX GREATEST HITS CD 70s HARD ROCK SEVENTIES OLDIES POP FM RADIO MUSIC US $10.48 [0 bids]
Final Frontier - First Wave (AOR, Z Records 2002, Von Groove,Moratti,Kharma,Styx US $13.27 [0 bids]
STYX "The Serpent is Rising" Wooden Nickel BWL1-0287, RARE Classic Rock! US $7.00 [0 bids]
Styx : Extended Versions CD (2000) US $3.25 Buy It Now 12h 57m
Styx - Caught in the Act: Live (A&M 6514) (2 LP set) US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 26m
? Styx - Best of Styx (RCA 1-3597) (w/ Lady, Best Thing US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 26m
? Styx - Kilroy Was Here (PS) (with "Mr. Roboto") US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 26m
Styx - Lady (RCA 1-4233) (art deco cover) US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 26m
? Styx - Pieces of Eight (A&M 4724) (with "Renegade", "Blue Collar Man") US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 29m
? Styx - Paradise Ballroom (1 side = laser-etched vinyl US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 29m
STYX, Paradise Theater, LP, 1981, SP-3719, A&M, 1st Press, Etched, Gate-fold US $12.49 [0 bids]
STYX, THE GRAND ILLUSION CASSETTE, A&M CS-4637, ORIGINAL! SHIPS US FREE! US $6.99 Buy It Now 13h 33m
5 Nr Mnt STYX Rock LP Record Albums! Pieces Cornerstone Paradise Serpent Best US $24.50 [2 bids]
70's & 80s ROCK 11 CDs - BOSTON, AEROSMITH, JOURNEY, STYX, HEART, MORE US $22.99 [0 bids]
STYX EQUINOX 8 TRACK CASSETTE TAPE US $1.99 [0 bids]
STYX 2 lp CAUGHT IN THE ACT LIVE A & M SP-6514 US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 47m
STYX - 20TH CENTURY MASTERS - THE MILLENNIUM COLLECTION: THE BEST OF - NEW CD US $6.49 Buy It Now 13h 47m
Toby Keith, Styx, Cher, Neil Young, Tonic, Lyle Lovett - U.S. PROMO cd US $9.98 Buy It Now 13h 54m
Styx JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD Kilroy Was Here w/OBI AUTHENTIC tommy shaw AOR NEW oop US $49.99 Buy It Now 14h
? Dennis DeYoung - Back to the World (of Styx) (sealed) US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h
Paradise Theatre by Styx US $4.60 Buy It Now 14h 4m
? Tommy Shaw - Girls with Guns (of Styx) (sealed) US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 4m
? Tommy Shaw - Ambition (of Styx) US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 4m
STYX Japan 1980 NM LP+Laser Edging Vinyl PARADISE THEAT US $18.99 Buy It Now 14h 23m
JOB LOT OF THREE STYX LPs-Crystal Balls/Equinox/Paradise Theatre (Laser Etched)! US $21.57 Buy It Now 14h 23m
Styx 70s POP ROCK DJ 45 Sing for the Day / Renegade US $14.98 Buy It Now 14h 27m
STYX Japan 1979 NM LP CORNERSTONE US $19.99 Buy It Now 14h 28m
1984 STYX Live Caught In The Act 2 LPs A&M SP-6514 Gatefold NM Vinyl Play Tested US $12.00 Buy It Now 14h 39m

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Brave New World ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(9%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(11%)

STYX Brave New World reviews

Review by Gatot
3 stars Regardless it's being prog or not, just consider it as a rock band, what Styx album(s) do you really favor? I would go for "Man of Miracles" and "Equinox". But hold on . it's a tough choice, actually. Why? I think in every album that Styx has ever released, there has been clearly more than 50% of its music in its typical album is excellent. Either it's catchy or having a great composition like the one in Equinox album where I think "Born for an Adventure" is truly a great hard rock song. Talking about "Man of Miracles", I have "A Song for Suzanne", "Evil Eyes" and "Christopher Mr Christopher" that are really excellent tracks! Or . I also like "Castle Walls" of "The Grand Illusion" album. Not only that, I also like the "Mr Robotto" track from Killroy Was Here, and also ."Blue Collar Man"!!!!

Having that sort of traditional emotional bond with the band, I inclined to purchase this "Brave New World" CD but .. the price was unbelievably not friendly at all. So I did not purchase it until couple of weeks ago I was offered a sales promotion from the Missing Piece .. so I bought it. Ehem! To my surprise, this album .

..is enjoyable and has a good composition!

Having known this after two or three spins, actually I did not mind to purchase the CD with such unfriendly price. But now I benefit this good album with friendly (indeed, it's very cheap!) price. You know then how I feel, I got a great deal of price for good music "Brave New World" offers. Of course, this is nothing like "Equinox" or "Man of Miracles", but look at this persepective: forget that this is "new" Styx album and assume it's being played by a new band .. I bet you would like it! Yes, it's not that prog, even though some tracks have a bit of prog element in it, but the overall music is just good.

"I Will Be Your Witness" (4:31) is definitely a solid composition music with great guitar riffs in reggae-rock fusion. You may not recognize this as Styx if you do not recognize the vocal style. "Brave New World" (5:14) - the composition is tighter than the opening track especially during the ambient nuance at the opening part which reminds me to Bali Island in Indonesia. As the music flows I bring myself engrossed with the music beautifully. The other excellent track is "Number One" (4:33) which has a bit of prog structure. You still can find good rocker like "What Have They Done To You" (4:33) which reminds me to Kilroy Was Here album. "Fallen Angel" (4:49) is a nice ballad. Another great rocker is "Heavy Water" (4:29). The album concludes with "Brave New World (Reprise)" (3:31).

Overall, it's an enjoyable album from Styx. And this album represents the last album with Dennis De Young. What good also about this album is the appearance of great prog violinist Jerry Goodman. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#179238) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 09, 2008

Review by Finnforest
3 stars A flawed album but one I enjoy

In the mid 90s Styx mounted a highly successful reunion tour with the core members in tact, the tour so many fans waited years for. With momentum on their side after the tour they attempted to pull off another feat with a new studio album. Rather than capitalize and set aside their personal gripes with each other, they blew it. The resulting sessions brought back the divisions and animosity that plagued them for so long. I won't go into the details, but suffice to say both camps played their role in sinking any chance of continuing their legacy, and DeYoung was right to call the album a "missed opportunity." This could have been a great project had the DeYoung camp and the Shaw/Young camp allowed it to be, instead, many of the criticisms you read about the album's failures are not unfounded. It can sound less than cohesive, unfinished, sometimes like demos, and it fails to capture the magic that could be glorious when these three musicians set aside their bickering and helped each other reach their potential. When I first heard the record I hated it, and I nearly wrote a scathing review early on. Instead, the disc got stuck in my car during a difficult personal period, when I simply kept playing it because I was often too distressed to rotate discs as I normally would. I ended up liking this flawed record. Despite the Shaw/Young camp's tragic decision to toss Styx's undeniable leader, and damn the consequences in quality, the album that almost "never was" has its moments. The band even stopped recording it at one point during their hostilities, only to be forced by the label to finish it, lest lawsuits begin. There are so many little details working against this album that its very presence is something of a miracle.

Despite less of the art rock glitter and prog-rock influence of the 1970s, the material on "Brave New World" could have been Styx-ized had there been true collaboration. It would still be more straightforward rock but it could have been quite different. Instead, the Shaw tracks can sound like Bon Jovi while the DeYoung tracks sometimes sound like he was being paid to pen ballads for American Idol contestants. Neither scenario a compliment. The songs from the two camps could not sound more indifferent towards each other, this really is two solo albums having a shotgun wedding. It is somewhat ironic that Shaw and Young's vision for the album was a conceptual commentary on a bleak future, not unlike what DeYoung tried to do with the Kilroy theme those two hated so much. This time around, it is DeYoung's songs who sound like they are mostly removed from the album's themes. The roles have reversed in that compositional sense. Shaw had control here, while DeYoung was being blindfolded and tied to the tree, after just consuming his final meal and being offered a cigarette.

Shaw/Young's tracks are almost completely devoid of any DeYoung presence, it sounds as if they stripped away whatever significant presence he may have offered laid their songs. It's a shame because some of those tracks could have benefited immensely from Dennis' talents, which remain very much in tact. Their tracks are mostly very catchy rock songs on the heavy but accessible side, driven by Todd Sucherman's more aggressive drumming style and a desire to have fun. James delivers his usual kitschy vocal (such a character) as he trades line with Shaw on "What have they done to you." Tommy's voice is a bit thinner and more warbled than in his youth but he can still hit the high notes. "I will be your witness" features a groovy guitar part with tons of swagger and a light, easygoing chorus---pretty effective pop songwriting. "Heavy Water" approaches a crushing sound as the heavy James vehicle this time out. The title track is reprised at the end like they did with Kilroy, with bits of "Heavy Water's" chorus coming through. These guys were writing rock songs they could bring to the stage and command. I would guess all of these songs sound much fuller and heavier on tour than here.

Dennis' material ranges from the pure sappy ballad (While There's Still Time) to the introspective (Fallen Angel) to the playful (High Crimes & Misdemeanors) which is subtitled "Hip Hop-Cracy." You really have to hear that one! "Great Expectations" is a strong track in the show tunes style DeYoung has embraced since working Broadway. He closes his tracks with "Goodbye Roseland" which is a poignant and personal farewell to his old neighborhood, his father, his youthful memories. Dennis' father died around this period of the same disease that recently took my own Dad. To say I found the song moving would be an understatement, as I was hearing it the week I buried my Dad, nothing like coincidences. DeYoung was left standing on the shore as the Shaw led band sailed away to a new future without him. Dennis may have had the last laugh though. While Styx proper rocks the casinos and state fairs, DeYoung has released a new solo album that some fans call the best work by any Styxian, alone or together, since 1980. It is called "One Hundred Years from Now" if you wish to check it out. They carry on separately now, but like the Floyd situation, their work apart will never match what they did together as a true band in the 1970s. Tommy and James enjoying performing more than recording, Dennis enjoys perfecting the studio sound. Fans will have to decide for themselves where their interests lie in these musicians. The base seemed as split over things as the band themselves.

If you never liked Styx in their glory years, you sure as hell won't like this album. But for me it is a nice coda to a band I enjoy, despite the obvious flaws. I like this album more than Kilroy despite the fact that many Styx fans reject it. I have a feeling most PA reviewers would give this two stars (or 1), but I have to bump it to three personally. I had fun.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#464691) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 19, 2011

3 stars I'm not sure what to say here exactly, so I'll start with a very short story. When I heard that Styx were going to re-form to record a long awaited follow up album to 1990's "Edge Of The Century" I was thrilled but quite skeptical. I know in 1990 I was unsure of what to think about "Edge!" ... (read more)

Report this review (#38853) | Posted by silversaw | Friday, July 08, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars If 'Kilroy was here' was a bizarre miss-step for the band, this was triple-suicide. Does every Tommy Shaw song have to mention either 'Manic Depression' or 'Prosac'? And the bad part is it starts out so promisingly. I might give a song-by-song run down for this one 1. "I will be your witness" - T ... (read more)

Report this review (#17419) | Posted by Brendan | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars If you want hear a pop album, go away, buy this disc, but if you want art rock... pass away. This is not an horrible work, sometimes can be enjoyable, but is a great deception for the Styx fans, can be sure... ... (read more)

Report this review (#17416) | Posted by | Sunday, February 08, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars What a waste. With the majority of the original Styx lineup, fans expected a fantastic album...and instead, they got this. At its best, it's a disjointed effort with a few good tracks that really shine, and at its worst, it's a piece of horrifying garbage that left Styx fans dismayed and disappoin ... (read more)

Report this review (#17415) | Posted by | Friday, December 26, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Brave New World "