STYX II

1. You Need Love (3:44)
2. Lady (2:56)
3. A Day (8:19)
4. You Better Ask (3:54)
5. Little Fugue in "G" (1:17)
6. Father O.S.A. (7:08)
7. Earl Of Roseland (4:30)
8. I'm Gonna Make You Feel It (2:23)

Search STYX Styx II lyrics

Search STYX Styx II tabs

- Dennis DeYoung / organ, pipe organ, arp synthesizer & vocals
- James "JY" Young / guitar & vocals
- John Curulewski / guitar, arp synthesizer, autoharp & vocals
- Chuck Panozzo / bass
- John Panozzo / drums, percussion & vocals

Wooden Nickel WNS-1012

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Styx II Music

Styx GoldStyx Gold
A&M Records 2004
CornerstoneCornerstone
A&M 1990
STYX Paradise Lp STYX written in ghost writing on Lp no reserve US $11.00 [0 bids]
38m 10s
STYX Kilroy Was Here '83 ISRAELI PROMO LP WHITE-STICKER+RARE INSERT/HEBREW LABEL US $40.00 Buy It Now 39m 4s
STYX The Grand Illusion SHRINK 1977 A&M w/orig lyric slv NM/EX LP Record US $22.99 Buy It Now 40m 21s
STYX THE GRAND ILLUSION LP 1977 SUPER HOT CLASSIC! US $4.99 Buy It Now 52m 46s
Styx-Too Much Time On My Hands (MINT) US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Styx-Borrowed Time (VG+) Promo US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
THE RIVER STYX same LP USA 6os GARAGE PSYCH rare oop L@@K US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
STYX - REGENERATION - EDGCD469 US $20.38 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Styx, Equinox On CD VG Condition US $2.50 [0 bids]
(31) 70s & 80s ROCK & ROLL ALBUMS Aerosmith, Poco, Kinks, Styx, Doobies++ LP US $73.95 [0 bids]
Greatest Hits by Styx (CD, Aug-1995, A&M (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Icon [CD New] US $6.51 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Styx A&M 45 Record #2110 VG+ PS Renegade / Sing For The Day US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Put me on - Come sail away Styx A & M 1977 US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
STYX «CRYSTAL BALL» CASSETTE NM (Made in Canada) A & M RECORDS US $3.00 [0 bids]
Paradise Theater by Styx (Cassette, Oct-1980, A&M Records) US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
STYX: THE GRAND ILLUSION (CD 1990) - 8 Songs US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
styx lp the best of styx aql1-3597 vg+/m- US $4.79 Buy It Now 2h 34m
STYX: Babe / I'm O.k. 45 Rock & Pop US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Equinox, Styx, New US $5.91 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Styx Pardadise Theater 1980 Vinyl Album LP Record US $4.99 [0 bids]
STYX -GREATEST HITS---16 SONGS----VERY NICE! US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
LP STYX - PARADISE THEATRE (A&M) 1980 BRITISH ORIGINAL ISSUE ALBUM. LASER ETCHED US $16.13 [0 bids]
LP STYX - EQUINOX (A&M) 1975 BRITISH ORIGINAL ISSUE ALBUM. EX+/EX+ (DRILLHOLE) US $16.13 [0 bids]
STYX **PIECES OF EIGHT promo copy GATEFOLD LP US $17.00 [0 bids]
LP STYX - CORNERSTONE (A&M) USA ORIGINAL ISSUE IN FOLD OUT SLEEVE. VG+/EX US $16.13 [0 bids]
STYX - Paradise Theatre, ORIGINAL 1980 UK 'ETCHED' DISC LP...... EX US $8.09 [0 bids]
STYX BABE A&M 45 1979 US $1.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Styx Babe / I'm O.K. 45 Vinyl 2188-S A&M records NM 1978 US $0.99 [0 bids]
1970s-80s Classic Rock Lot of 12 Lp Records STYX-Benatar-Bad Co-ELO-Bishop Blond US $9.69 [0 bids]
STYX - PARADISE THEATRE - ETCHED LP - VERY NICE US $14.72 Buy It Now 3h 35m
LP Styx - Paradise Theatre 1981 Holland press Etched Gatefold EX/EX US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Lot of Rock / Metal Music Tapes Metallica, Guns n Roses, Kiss, Styx, Idol, + US $2.99 [1 bids]
Kancheli Gubaidulina Yuri Bashmet Mariinsky Orchestra Styx Viola Concerto CD Ex. US $8.75 [0 bids]
STYX - CAUGHT IN THE ACT NEW CD US $19.50 Buy It Now 3h 55m
33 RPM Record - STYX - Paradise Theater - Mercury # 03719 w/Album Jacket - VG++ US $4.99 [0 bids]
STYX PARADISE THEATRE LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
STYX PIECES OF EIGHT LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
STYX EQUINOX LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
STYX "PARADISE THEATRE 1980 12" VINYL ALBUM GATEFOLD SLEEVE LASER ETCHED DISC US $3.23 [0 bids]
LOT OF 3 STYX 12'' RECORDS!! GREAT CONDITION!!! US $14.00 Buy It Now 4h 16m
SCORPIONS SURVIVOR DENIS DE YOUNG AMERICA NEIL YOUNG STYX DVD KARAOKE 200 songs US $18.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Icon - Styx US $6.20 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Greatest Hits Part 2 by Styx Cassette Tape 1996 A&M Records Ultra Rare US $3.35 Buy It Now 4h 30m
Styx - Babe 7" 1979 Ex A&M 2188 US $6.47 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Styx - Classics Volume 15 US $2.50 [0 bids]
1975 STYX "Lorelei-Midnight Ride" 45 US $1.99 Buy It Now 4h 34m
6 ROCK CD's DAVE MATTHEWS,BLOWFISH,STYX,MEGA ROCK,JOURNEY,GRATEFUL DEAD FREEship US $18.99 Buy It Now 4h 42m
STYX - LITTLE SUZIE RARE USA ONE TRACK PROMO CD SINGLE IN ORIGINAL STICKER CASE US $4.55 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Styx Paradise Theatre LP EX+/NM Vinyl US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
STYX / CHEAP TRICK / ALICE COOPER / PAT BENATAR / BLONDIE / JERRY LEE LEWIS+++ US $6.50 [0 bids]
~ STYX "The Best Of Times" / "Lights" 7" 45 Single ~ 1979 Near Mint US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX - EXTENDED VERSIONS [STYX] [090431893227] - NEW CD US $7.43 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Styx "The Grand Illusion" Near Mint US $3.00 [0 bids]
Styx - Pieces Of Eight LP US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 19m
Lot of 5 Styx Vinyl LP Records Paradise Cornerstone Illusion Live VG+ or better US $14.75 [0 bids]
Styx 45 "The Best Of Times/ Lights" US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Styx - Don't Let It End / Rockin The Paradise, A&M AM-120 Ex Condition US $6.47 Buy It Now 5h 51m
Lot of 2 Styx LP's - Cornerstone LP & Caught In The Act Live Double LP US $8.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Edge Of The Century (CD 1990) GLEN BURTNIK DAMN YANKEES US $30.79 Buy It Now 6h 7m
STYX Blue Collar Man[Long Nights UK 7" BLUE Vinyl Single EXCELLENT CONDITION US $16.20 Buy It Now 6h 18m
ROADIE RARE OZ SOUNDTRACK CASSETTE TAPE! ALICE COOPER BLONDIE STYX CHEAP TRICK US $21.88 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Edge of the Century by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 29m
Return to Paradise by Styx (2) CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 29m
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 29m
STYX-LOVE AT FIRST SITE 4:33/ WORLD TONITE 3:37-1990 A & M RECS.CASSETTE SINGLE US $3.99 [0 bids]
SHAW, TOMMY - AMBITION - ROCK CANDY COLLECTOR'S EDITION CD - SEALED / STYX US $24.23 [0 bids]
STYX - The Grand Illusion [HDCD] Styx (Audio Fidelity) 24KT Gold #'D CD! US $66.91 [0 bids]
STYX-THE GRAND ILLUSION PIECES OF EIGHT: LIVE IN CONCERT-JAPAN 2CD BLU-RAY S95 US $103.50 Buy It Now 6h 35m
45 rpm MINT JUKEBOX STRIP 7" 1977 Styx - Come Sail Away / Put Me On A US $3.49 Buy It Now 6h 39m
VINYL LP Styx - Crystal Ball A&M Records - SP-4604 US $12.99 Buy It Now 6h 41m
Styx: Mr. Roboto / Don't Let It End 7" 45 NM USA A&M Memories AM-8644 US $7.49 Buy It Now 6h 52m
Pieces Of Eight Styx Japan Press W/Obi & Inserts Mint US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 53m
Greatest Hits by Styx (CD, Aug-1995, A&M (USA)) US $4.99 [0 bids]
STYX Classics Volume 15 1987 A&M Records AAD D114822 US $2.95 [0 bids]
The Rock Album Vinyl LP - K-Tel TU 2680 - Boston, Journey, Tull, Kansas, Styx US $3.99 [0 bids]
STYX - LOGO Embroidered PATCH US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 4m
Original STYX "PIECES OF EIGHT" LP VINYL PICTURE DISC 1978 A&M RECORDS US Press US $24.95 Buy It Now 7h 14m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - BABE - STYX - AMS7489 US $11.33 Buy It Now 7h 24m
STYX NEW PROMO 45/ ORIGINAL 1979/BORROWED TIME/ALBUM/SINGLE FREE SHIPPING US $8.00 [0 bids]
Edge of the Century by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Styx - Pieces of Eight US $9.99 [0 bids]
Love Songs Heartland 2CD Lot ClasGreatest STARSHIP STYX VOGUES 70s Rock US $29.99 [0 bids]
GOWAN - HOME FIELD (CD) Styx US $4.86 [0 bids]
GOWAN - LOST BROTHERHOOD (USA Import CD) Styx, Alex Lifeson (Rush) US $6.48 [0 bids]
GOWAN - THE GOOD CATCHES UP (Import CD) Styx US $6.48 [0 bids]
GOWAN - AU QUEBEC (SOLO LIVE - RARE OOP CD) Styx US $6.48 [0 bids]
Rock Album Styx Kansas boston foreigner vinyl LP record Free ship over $20 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Pieces of Eight - Styx (Vinyl, VG+) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Styx Conerstone 1979 A&M 3711 Bi-Fold Progressive Hard Rock Vinyl LP NM US $12.00 Buy It Now 8h 23m
STYX- RARE MISPRINT-CHILDREN OF THE LAND(SHORT VERSION) US $199.99 Buy It Now 8h 25m
Styx Paradise Theatre SP-3719 STERLING MD Hologram Lp Record VG++/VG++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Styx "Equinox" LP Pre-Owned US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 35m
STYX Japan 1983 NM LP+Obi KILROY WAS HERE US $29.99 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Styx, Come Sail Away / Put Me On US $2.99 [0 bids]
Styx, Babe / I'm O.K. US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX Japan 1978 Ex LP PIECES OF EIGHT US $18.99 Buy It Now 8h 46m
Styx "Crystal Ball" LP Pre-Owned US $15.00 Buy It Now 8h 47m
SHAW-BLADES- INFLUENCE - CD - JACK BLADES & TOMMY SHAW -STYX,NIGHT RANGER -2007- US $1.30 [2 bids]
TOMMY SHAW of STYX Japan 1985 NM LP+Obi WHAT IS US $39.99 Buy It Now 8h 52m

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Styx II ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(6%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(31%)

STYX Styx II reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
1 stars For die-hard fans only and unfortunately the first Styx hit in Lady. This first hit is important to understand how they became so popular as they had many sounds in their early day , but only Lady workked . If you listen from Equinox on , you will notice that they copied the sound of this numberand repeated it almost endlessly.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#17429) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Review by daveconn
4 stars One of those early wonders like Fly By Night that bespeaks great things for the future. Of course it contains "Lady" in all of its familiar raiment, and the song is crystallized perfection, but just as likely to strike a chord with prog fans are "You Need Love," "Earl of Roseland" and the combination of "Little Fugue" and "Father O.S.A." Styx didn't remove the rock & roll swagger from their muse, and a "You Better Ask" or "I'm Gonna Make You Feel It" are hardly progressive insights, but not everyone can be as consistently high-minded as Yes or Genesis. If "Lady" has left this good company unescorted into the future, then take a little trip back. You'll discover a band that made good use of harmonies, could write elastic arrangements with the best of them, and understood prog's archetypes. John Curulewski's "You Better Ask," is the exception, a funky rock number that underscores the need for "safe" sex. It does end with a nod to "Strangers In The Night," which reminds me of a musical joke circulating at the time that had a ribald little story sung to the melody of "Strangers..." (but enough about that). Curulewski's "A Day" is closer to the dreamy vibe of prog, though it has more in common with CSN ("Almost Cut My Hair") than prog proper. Though Dennis DeYoung would favor ballads like "Lady" in the long run, here he writes a lot of heavy material, perhaps as a concession to the fact that Styx' vision was aligned to the hard, heavy right of Dennis' softer, lefter leanings. As with Kerry Livgren and Kansas, DeYoung and Styx can lead with keyboards or guitars, which allows them to pursue hard and soft prog passages. Sometimes, Styx slips into hard rock phrasings (as did Kansas), but in doing so they helped forge a new style of prog that would be adopted by bands like Boston and proved more palatable to American ears. I'd recommend this album even if it didn't harbor a certain "Lady," and suspect that Styx II is the one to own among the band's early elpees.

Send comments to daveconn (BETA) | Report this review (#47597) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Review by Gatot
3 stars A memorable album!

Let me put it this way: as far as Styx' fans concern this might not be a seminal album to consider; and it's not truly a prog album in conservative way . or something that in the past called it something as "art rock". In a more open mind way, this album does have some prog elements as well, even though not symphonic. However, in subjective judgment from my point of view this album has been very critical to develop me further as prog lover and it has been part of my life. My first collection of this album was in cassette format but I don't have it anymore now. It was released when I was a 13-year old boy who started to learn to love music. The cassette was not actually mine, it was my brother (Jokky)'s cassette and I only listened to it when I was on holidays in Jakarta when I was 15-year old. Oh man . the third track "A Day" really blew me away at first listen! It's so powerful in melody, lyrics as well as composition. Unfortunately when I returned back to my small city Madiun, I could not find the album in local store. So, I got only the compilation of Styx until their fourth album. Only recently I got this album from my colleague prog head Koni. Thanks man!

The opening track "You Need Love" (3:44) might not be something that catches your attention at all when you hear the song at first time. But if you look this song into deep, you will find that all key characteristics of Styx sound was built through this track. Look how the choirs are performed and how Dennis De Young handles vocal department. The music grooves as well as guitar solo confirm the characteristics of Styx music which will carry forward into later days. "Lady" (2:56) was a major hit and is still now being played by FM radio because its pop orientation.

"A Day" (8:19) is a very melodic song with mellow opening, powerful singing style. The music is characterized by percussion as rhythm section augmented with keyboard and good bass guitar. "Woke up in rainy autumn. Morning mist beginning to wane. And the birds of the winged trees. Calling my name.." is a great opening verse of the lyrics and it becomes much melodic during chorus " Listen to the flowing streams. Golden in the shelter of my dreams. Playing a song on the meadow that echoes with love." oh man .. what a great melody!!! When the music enters interlude part, it turns the style into a bit of jazzy style with bass guitar dominates the rhythm section backed with drums, accompanying excellent guitar solo. Once the guitar solo is done, organ continues the solo nicely. I really love this part and it's a very memorable part of the song. Hey, don't get me wrong .. I love this song the whole thing for an 8 minute duration!

"You Better Ask" (3:54) is a jazzy-pop style which is quite catchy. "Little Fugue in G" (1:17) is basically a very nice organ work that reminds me the days when I used bicycle to transport everywhere (and I am now still bicycling to the office - so, basically there is no life improvement in me since I was 13 year old!). The organ work is so catchy and memorable, it serves as great opening for the next great song: "Father O.S.A. " (7:08). It starts beautifully with excellent drumming right after the organ sound fades out, followed with nice guitar riffs that become critical elements of this excellent track. The opening lyrical verse: " Father. You're a sad old man. Your tawdry vest is gray." is so powerful for me, personally and it means a lot. Well yeah, my dad passed away when I was five years old . so this opening lyrics suit my taste and feeling. The music is also nice, combining great guitar work, soaring organ work and good drum work.

The two concluding tracks are not bad also with "Earl Of Roseland" (4:30) reminds me to the sound of Uriah Heep. "I'm Gonna Make You Feel It" (2:23) has a nice combination of organ sound and guitar riffs. The choirs are also good. The guitar solo at the end of the track is also good.

Overall, this is definitely a memorable album for me personally. It has been part of my life because I grew with this album. I remember vividly that I later loved "Man of Miracles" album as well. I do not know about you. But if you like the music of Styx, you should buy this album as well. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#175837) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars I'm gonna make you hear it!

This second Styx album is one of my favourite Styx albums, rivalled only by The Grand Illusion. Of the Wooden Nickel albums (the band's first four), Styx II is the most consistent and also the most progressive. It starts out strongly with You Need Love with swirling synthesisers and operatic harmony vocals. I really like the introduction to this song.

Lady became a small hit, I think, and I can see why. It is highly melodic and memorable. However, this one is not one of my favourites. The lead vocals are always my biggest problem with Styx and it is very clear on this particular track. The good thing is that they don't drag it out, it is just under three minutes long.

The eight plus minute A Day is perhaps the most interesting track from a Prog perspective. It is a somewhat jazzy song that somehow reminds me of the style of Yes' two first albums. Yes was, after all, most probably one of Styx' sources of inspiration. I think this is an excellent song that is very much in line with early British Symphonic Prog. This is my personal favourite Styx song. Even the lead vocals are good this time!

However, Styx are quick to destroy the Prog mode with the next track You Better Ask, easily my least favourite of the album. It is a rather simple and cheerful, up tempo song and apart from a nice, short keyboard solo it has few redeeming features. However, it does not distract too much from the flow of the album. Next thing on the menu is a short Little Fugue In 'G' which is a nice little piece played on church organ leading straight into Father O.S.A, another good song. Here we are treated to another song that justifies the group's presence in the Prog Related category with some Queen-like harmony vocals, tasteful electric and acoustic guitars and assorted keyboards.

The album closes with a couple of decent up tempo, melodic Rock songs in Earl Of Roseland and I'm Gonna Make You Feel It. The latter has slightly the same style as the opener.

I can really recommend this early Styx album as I think it is one of the band's best albums. It is not quite excellent, however. But it is one of those albums on which the group came as close to excellence as they ever came.

The best way to get the album now is, I believe, on the 2CD set The Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings which comprises the band's first four albums. While the Styx II segment of that compilation is the best, there are several other good songs and with the exception of the weak debut, the other albums here all deserve to be heard. You also get one bonus track called Unfinished Song. It is not at all as unfinished as its title implies. Rather, it is better than most of the songs from the original albums!

Three solid stars for Styx II.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#227416) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 18, 2009

Review by snobb
3 stars Second Styx album is different from their début. There they really have a control on production, music has better structure, sound - better balance. But I miss raw energy and freshness of the debut.

There is obvious they choosed the direction. Choral vocals, orchestrated production, lighter sound and softer songs - there is the beginning of their way to what they became in late 70-s."Lady" is their proto-ballade which gave a birth to more different clones on their later albums.

Being a bit more professional than previous one, this album showed the way for Styx future direction. And in many moments I prefer the debut one.Around 2,5.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#262535) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Review by Cesar Inca
4 stars The sophomore album by Styx proves to be a strong improvement upon the sort of proposal reflected in the band's debut effort. While the "Styx" album was groovy and entertaining, it was mostly an attempt to create something near art-rock with a large amoubnt of alien material. On the other hand, "Styx II" shows the quartet of Young, DeYoung, Curulewski and the Panozzo twins elaborating a stronger sound and setting more convincign arrangements for the compositional ideas' frameworks. The opener 'YouNeed Love' is a catchy uptempo rocker that wouldn't have been out of place in any Uriah Heep album during their golden years. The brief but electrifying organ solo executed by DeYound in the interlude is amazing, something like a Lord-meets-Emerson kind of thing. 'Lady' is the next song, loved by many and maligned by many others, I stand near the former. It is a power-ballad full of the sweetness one can expect from this kind of songs, but its logical mellow vibe doesn't sound overwhelming to my ears: one can certainly describe this 3- minute long hit song as a mixture of Elton John and Uriah Heep with subtile traces of Yes brought in the mix, plus a killer guitar lead during the last repeated chorus. It is true that DeYoung always admired Yes, ELP and Pink Floyd, and that feeling has always been reflected in many other songs written by his colleagues. In fact, the youngest one in the band, John Curulewski, brings the gem of the album's first half - 'A Day'. With its 8+ minute timespan, I believe it is the longest Styx song ever. Its main body is a slow sung section that sounds like a jazzier version of pre-Wakeman Yes: Curulewski's interventions on autoharp, 12-string guitar and ARP create pertinent sonic nuances while DeYoung uses his electric and grand piano parts to complement the basic rhythmic scheme. The instrumental interlude enhances the jazz factor and provides a major dose of energy: with a tempo that alternates 6/8 and 5/4 in the Panozzos' capable hands, the dual guitars and the Hammond organ successively state the dominant sounds. Never again you will hear Styx doing something like this, and it is really impressive as a cleverly constructed source of progressive rock. Also Curulewski-penned, 'You Better Ask' is an uptempo rocker whose lyrics sarcastically deal with the subject of venereal diseases that emerge from the practice of careless sexual fun. This song sounds like a middle point between Uriah and The Stones. The closing quote of 'Strangers In The Night' as if played on a calliope while a devilish laughter carries on completes the humorous note delivered on this song (Procol Harum also made a humorous song about this otherwise serious subject). The album's second half open up with another grand progressive gesture, only thsi time sounding like typical Styx: of course, I'm referrign to the pairing of Bach's 'Little Fugue in G' and DeYoung's 'Father O.S.A.'. The Fugue is performed on a real pipe organ, in this way announcing the solemnity that will impose itself on the following track. With its anti-clerical (not anti-Christian) lyrics, DeYoung urges us to seek and find the truth about God by ourselves instead of seeking for standard answers in the mouths of formal religious leaders. The main melody constructed on teh dual guitars and subsequent solos are enough themselves to provide convenient power for this song, but the pipe organ passages and solo piano fade-out are also functional to complete the environment. John Panozzo's drumming (plus tympani and bells) is also a major asset in this song's peculiar splendour. The heavier 'Earl Of Roseland' provides the most intelligent rocker in the album, while 'I'm Gonna Make YouFeel It' states a similar groove to that of the opener. 3.75 stars for this one... and the best from the Curulewski years was yet to come with "The Serpent Is Rising", but that is a matter for another review.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#265731) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 12, 2010

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Lady arrives early to one lame party

When the first Styx album bombed the band convinced their label they should have more control of the second album, which they were granted. But because the promotion they got was basically nil, the results were not much different in terms of success. While some called the second album a huge leap forward from the debut in quality and production, I can only agree on the latter. The debut is a more memorable collection of music despite Styx II having two very important tracks.

Dennis DeYoung took control of Styx II and wrote all but two of the songs, but as a writer he was not yet at his creative peak. The exception was the track "Lady" (written for his wife Suzanne) which gave a startling insight into his skills at writing those romantic power ballads which would be so prominent on future albums. It was a song he was urged to write by label guy Bill Traut in an attempt to have some commercial breakthrough, Traut wanted a song which would perk the ears of teenage girls. The other guys in the band were not pleased by "Lady" in another eerie foreshadow of tension coming five years later. But they gave in and the song would eventually be crucial in helping to break the band nationally, though it did not happen right away. The song itself is a near perfect pop song with a gorgeous melody and a powerful chorus. The moody progger of the band, the late guitarist John Curulewski, disliked the song but frequently had good ideas. He added those nice rhythm guitar chugs through the verses while James Young took the big swipes at the end. "Lady" is a great single but one that arrived too early to the party Styx were at in 1973. It's a song that would help define Dennis DeYoung and begin to find them a radio audience.

For his part Curulewski contributed "A Day" which was the proggy highlight of the album, an 8-minute plus drifting dirge of soft emotions which rolls over the listening in waves. Gentle acoustic guitars and sad piano, light bass and drums, trippy effects throughout. Eventually it builds into a more fiery jam with dual lead electric guitars. His more fragile and plaintive vocal delivery is a stark contrast to the usual Styx bombast, and the song sounds more like a lazy Allman Brothers track or a Traffic number than a Styx song. This is the kind of wonderful "box of chocolates" albums listeners were treated to in those days. The musicians were experimenting as songwriters and nothing was concrete, so you have some wildly diverse material that can sound nothing like the Styx default "sound" you have in your mind. John's other track was the somewhat silly but fun "You Better Ask" which discusses his unfortunate encounters with "social diseases."

The rest of the album served up DeYoung's nice treatment of a Bach piece which he recorded by running a long cable from the church organ at the Cathedral of St. James down the street from the studio. His other originals were not his best work and he began a period of self-doubt as a writer, turning over some of the leadership on the next album to the others. "Earl of Roseland" was a warm and nostalgic lyrical reminisce of the band's early days in their neighborhood, but falls rather flat as good music goes. "Father OSA" was a song about his Dad which is personal and has some nice keyboard work, but again, these songs just do not deliver the goods. I'm surprised it is something of a favorite to Styx fans.

Styx II is a disappointing album and "for fans" of the band, and to fans I recommend it for what is one of John Curulewski's best tracks, "A Day." Beyond that, I would not recommend the album except as part of the excellent collection "The Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings" which is the best way to experience the first four Styx albums on CD.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#438535) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 24, 2011

Review by stefro
4 stars A superior sequel to an ambitious if somewhat inconsistent debut, 'Styx II' finds the Chicago rockers fine-tuning their blustery, blues-pop-and-prog. Whilst the group's self-titled debut didn't lack energy and drive, it was an awkwardly-constructed affair that didn't quite manage to blend it's many disparate elements. A slicker, more focused effort, this follow-up starts to build on the fragments of promise shown in such compositions as the lengthy 'Movement For A Common Man', adding a stylish pop veneer, some skilfully-deployed Crosby, Stills & Nash-style vocal harmonies and a much stronger progressive streak embodied by some bold instrumental passages that make a mockery out of the group's detractors who claim Styx are nothing more than just another AOR group. 'Styx II' also features one of the group's biggest hits in the shape of the part-ballad, part- rocker 'Lady', though at the time of the album's 1973 release it was very much a case of the hit that wasn't. Confused? Well, of course you are. At the time of the album's release Styx were still very much a local act with a small-but-growing fanbase who had yet to make any kind of mark on the mainstream. 'Lady' wasn't picked up by radio stations for a good two years, finally making an impression after the release of Styx's third album 'The Serpent Is Rising', pushing the five-man outfit well-and-truly into the national spotlight. 'Lady' aside, however, 'Styx II' is a definite improvement in virtually every department. There's a real sense of cohesion on impressive, multi-part tracks such as the organ-blessed 'A Day', one of the group's best early recordings, whilst the theatrical imprint vocalist Dennis DeYoung would push in later years starts to raise it's colourful head on the bluesy 'You Better Ask'. There's also a knowing wink to the members origins on the slyly laconic 'Earl Of Roseland', which furrows straight rock energy into kitsch prog-pop passages in that peculiar Styx manner that gives so much of their material that twinkling, almost effervescent edge. Combining earthy rock 'n' roll, prog- tinged flights of fancy, spectacular harmonies and pacey, fluid instrumental flourishes 'Styx II' marks the high point of the outfit's early phase. Of all the Wooden Nickel recordings this is the one that manages to get the right balance between the members commercial aspirations and their bright-eyed artistic excesses, a difficult balancing act indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#669233) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 20, 2012

5 stars Styx-Styx II Styx's debut had a tough act to follow, seeing as it is one of the best prog rock debuts ever created. Now of course all the prog-snobs will just turn their backs and say it sucks without even listening to the album, but I'm not one to do that. I don't think this 2nd release is as go ... (read more)

Report this review (#1167752) | Posted by Unitron | Wednesday, April 30, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Is this the second Styx album? How did you know, the title Styx II? What would have happened in the old days before ProgArchives or Amazon of Allmusic.com? I wouldn't have known if 'The Serpent is rising' was their third of eleventh album? So it seemed quite reasonable to call it Styx II. But ... (read more)

Report this review (#280933) | Posted by Brendan | Saturday, May 08, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Styx II. I think they make me despise numerals. And their "oh so original" brand of jumbled power pop/prog is so weak. Here we find them sacrificing their progressive tendencies for a much more radio friendly and arena rock landscape. The opener is pretty biting, if the vocals are a bit weak. ... (read more)

Report this review (#212854) | Posted by Alitare | Wednesday, April 29, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This album is proof that Styx is very underrated as band. I was very curious and had no idea of what I would get with this. It turned out to be a great surprise. The music on here is much like Tychovski said. It is good rock music with progressive leanings, at times strong, and at other time ... (read more)

Report this review (#136369) | Posted by White Shadow | Wednesday, September 05, 2007 | Review Permanlink

1 stars This is a step up from their debut album, if slightly. It isn't all electric screeching now, but there is some order. Lady is approaching pretty, and A Day is a very nice song, with good lyrics and layered percussion. Towards the end, they rock out, but not in a chaotic, asking-for-endurance way ... (read more)

Report this review (#89999) | Posted by Shakespeare | Monday, September 18, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Styx' second album (and it IS there second, not "Serpent is Rising" despite one of the rare errors on ProgArchives ... ) is the highlite of their Wooden Nickel recordings. But first, you have to get past the most played song from this period: "Lady" If you're like me, "Lady" is the kind of ... (read more)

Report this review (#48197) | Posted by | Saturday, September 24, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars 3.5 Stars - hands down!!! This is the follow-up to Styx's debut album and what a difference!!! The album was entirely written by the members of the band and what an amazing bunch of songwriters they are. Dennis DeYoung shines on this album, especially on "Father O.S.A" and the hit single "L ... (read more)

Report this review (#38850) | Posted by silversaw | Friday, July 08, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars 3.5 - Lighten up peeps, this is actually a fun album to listen to. You Need Love is great sounding arena rock. Nice solid sounding guitar work and vocals. The song is FUN Lady the first "hit" is the worst song here and was the harbinger of crappy DeYoung piffle to follow. I absolutely d ... (read more)

Report this review (#17431) | Posted by | Tuesday, May 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Too few progressive fans have explored Styx in their pre-Tommy Shaw formation. The five albums that preceeded his arrival have distinct prog leanings, and absolutely deserve an honest listen. In 1973 prog was getting airplay, so many bands followed in the afterwake. Styx had the technical abil ... (read more)

Report this review (#17430) | Posted by Tychovski | Monday, July 19, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Among the albums that Styx released in their early days on RCA's Wooden Nickel records, Styx II has the only easily identifiable hit ("Lady"), and is a much better rock record than their previous efforts. The album is not without faults, but is an engaging listen, and you can definitely hear the ro ... (read more)

Report this review (#17427) | Posted by | Friday, December 26, 2003 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A strange mix of sounds, since it goes from barroque organ playing (Little Fugue in "G"), to jazz-rock (A Day) to classic rock (I'm Gonna Make You Feel It). I agree on with a review from another Styx Lp which said that Styx are able to play soulfull ballads without sounding too kitschy (Father O.S.A ... (read more)

Report this review (#17426) | Posted by | Tuesday, December 23, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Styx II"