PORTFOLIO

Steeleye Span

Steeleye Span Portfolio album cover

Buy STEELEYE SPAN Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1988

1. Dark-Eyed Sailor (6:04)
2. Boys of Bedlam (4:20)
3. Prince Charlie Stuart (4:14) (Not on CD version, title misspelled as Stewart on sleeve)
4. Gaudete (2:25)
5. Saucy Sailor (5:49)
6. Alison Gross (5:26)
7. Thomas the Rhymer (3:16)
8. Long Lankin (8:40) (Not on CD version)
9. New York Girls (3:04)
10. All Around my Hat (4:10)
11. Black Jack Davy (4:19)
12. Fighting for Strangers (4:23)
13. The Victory (8:37)
14. The Black Freighter (5:59) (Not on CD version)
15. Sligo Maid (3:46)
16. Gone to America (4:22) (Not on CD version)
17. Let Her Go Down (3:37)
18. Edward (6:19)
19. White Man (4:38)
20. A Cannon by Telemann (1:43)

Total time 72:02 (CD version)

Search STEELEYE SPAN Portfolio lyrics

Search STEELEYE SPAN Portfolio tabs

Various line ups of Steeleye Span from 1970-1986

Chrysalis records (CNW7) Double LP and (MPCD1647) CD
(Note that 4 tracks on the LP version are omitted from the CD)

Thanks to easy livin for the addition

STEELEYE SPAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STEELEYE SPAN Portfolio Music

Wintersmith: In Collaboration with Terry PratchettWintersmith: In Collaboration with Terry Pratchett
Park UK 2013
Shanachie 1989
Please to See the KingPlease to See the King
Shanachie 1991
Steeleye Span - Dogs & Ferrets US $6.99 Buy It Now 43m 12s
1975 - STEELEYE SPAN - All Around My Hat + UK Tour - Press Advert Poster Size US $14.92 Buy It Now 4h 16m
STEELEYE SPAN ALBUMS 5 x Vinyl LP Records Below the Salt, Original Masters, etc. US $36.30 Buy It Now 4h 35m
STEELEYE SPAN - FOLK ROCK PIONEERS IN CONCERT - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $26.85 Buy It Now 5h
Steeleye Span Hark The Village Wait CD - New US $14.88 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Steeleye Span Pleased To See The King CD - New US $14.88 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Rave On - Steeleye Span Maddy Prior Martin Carthy Shirley Collins - Mooncrest LP US $24.90 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Steeleye Span - All Around My Hat 7" Single 1975 US $19.92 Buy It Now 7h 36m
STEELEYE SPAN. Now We Are Six. Orig Ex+ 1974 UK Green 'Chysalis' Lp US $11.60 [0 bids]
CASSETTE: STEELEYE SPAN all around my hat POP FOLK US $5.79 Buy It Now 11h 9m
Silly Sisters Maddy Prior & June Tabor Bgo English Pressing Steeleye Span US $14.99 [0 bids]
STEELEYE SPAN, ALL AROUND MY HAT, LP. US $9.96 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Steeleye Span All Around My Hat Vinyl LP + Insert - EX US $6.62 Buy It Now 14h 2m
STEELEYE SPAN PLEASE TO SEE THE KING LP UK IMPORT 883 US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 8m
STEELEYE SPAN: Parcel Of Rogues LP ('73, gatefold cover, slight cover wear) Roc US $15.00 Buy It Now 14h 39m
STEELEYE SPAN WINTERSMITH CD NEW US $23.22 Buy It Now 14h 55m
STEELEYE SPAN all around my hat 7" WS EX/ uk chrysalis US $11.60 Buy It Now 15h 20m
FLESH & BLOOD Maddy Prior of Steeleye Span Rare Original Collectable 1997 CD VG US $11.20 Buy It Now 15h 32m
Vinyl - Steeleye Span - Sails Of Silver - 1981 Takoma TAK7097 ALLAN ZENTZ STAMP US $2.50 [0 bids]
A Rare Collection 1972-1996 Maddy Prior / Steeleye Span CD Import rare ! US $49.99 Buy It Now 16h 58m
STEELEYE SPAN Steeleye Span Almanack lp vinyl VG+ Original Release US $4.99 Buy It Now 17h 54m
Steeleye Span Rocket Cottage NM- LP US $5.00 Buy It Now 18h
STEELEYE SPAN - ANOTHER PARCEL OF STEELEYE SPAN (THEIR SECOND - NEW CD BOXSET US $28.84 Buy It Now 18h 17m
Steeleye Span - The Fox - 7" single - UK - comp copy US $6.99 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span - Somewhere In London - 7" single - UK - with picture sleeve US $7.99 [0 bids]
STEELEYE SPAN - Rocket Cottage LP Chrysalis coh US $5.99 Buy It Now 19h 37m
STEELEYE SPAN/sails of silver/1981 lp US $8.99 Buy It Now 20h 38m
HART & PRIOR / steeleye span ORIG U.K. VINYL prog folk LP ( SUMMER SOLSTICE ) NM US $15.95 Buy It Now 23h
1975 - STEELEYE SPAN - All Around My Hat + UK Tour - Press Advert - Poster Size US $14.92 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span Ten Man Mop CD *NEW Rare 1991 UK Mooncrest Maddy Prior Tim Hart US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - SPANNING THE YEARS - NEW CD BOXSET US $15.85 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN sails of silver CHR 1304 A2/B1 early press uk 1980 LP PS VG+/VG+ US $15.10 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN individually and collectively CS5 A1U/B1U 1st press LP PS VG+/EX US $14.92 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN live at last 202 749-320 german chrysalis LP PS EX/EX US $14.92 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN parcel of rogues CHR 1046 uk chrysalis green labels LP PS EX/VG+ US $13.78 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN all around my hat CHR 1091 A2/B2 early press uk 1975 LP PS EX/EX US $14.92 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span - Now We Are Six LP - Chrysalis Records CHR 1053 - David Bowie US $3.99 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span Souvenire Programme Theater Programme US $14.85 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span Now We Are Six Theater Programme US $14.85 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN Storm Force Ten folk prog LP US $6.56 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span / All Around My Hat US $6.99 [0 bids]
MICHAEL CHAPMAN 1980 CRIMINAL LP Steeleye Span Fairport US $14.44 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - All Around My Hat EP 1982 UK PICTURE SLEEVE 45 US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ULTRA RARE ORG UK PROG FOLK LP STEELEYE SPAN HARK ! THE VILLAGE WAIT RCA 1970 US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN THE BEST OF & THE REST OF CD IMPORT 14 TRACKS MINT US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
English Folk Rock Fairport Convention, Richard Thompson and Steeleye Span lot o US $8.50 [3 bids]
Steeleye Span - Back In Line RARE The Original Shanachie Release CD (Brand New!) US $40.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span Story Original Masters 2 XLP Set Celtic Classic Rock Chrysalis US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span ?- Tim Hart & Maddy Prior ?- Summer Solstice :Mooncrest vinyl LP US $9.00 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span Rocket Cottage 8 Track Tape TESTED US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span "Back In Line " Shanachie Records 79063 - US $11.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span "Rocket Cottage" Chrysalis Records CHR 1123-British Folk/Rock US $11.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span "Now We Are Six" Chrysalis Label CHR 1053 -- 1974 US $11.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span "Commoners Crown" Chrysalis CHR 1071 US $11.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span "Live At Last" Chrysalis Records CHR 1199 US $11.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span "Below the Salt " Chrysalis Label CHR 1008 -- 1972 US $11.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span "Almanac" Charisma label CS12 --1973 US $12.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span "The Steel Eye Span Story " 2 records - Chrysalis Label CH2 1136 US $19.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span "All Around My Hat" Chrysalis CHR 11091 US $11.90 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN -NOW WE ARE SIX rock LP US $4.98 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN -PLEASE TO SEE THE KING rock LP US $5.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span - Tonight's The Night Live [CD New] US $13.71 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE Chrysalis Records UK 1979 45 Overseas TIM HART Steeleye Span FOLK US $4.96 [0 bids]
STEELEYE SPAN *DJ COPY* "GAUDETTE" 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CD: MADDY PRIOR (Steeleye Span) "Flesh & Blood" 1997 ~ British Folk Music Singer US $7.97 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN - TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT LIVE NEW CD US $24.18 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span Maddy Prior Chrysalis LP 1970 US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span Import UK Chrysalis LP 1975 Maddy Prior US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span Import UK Famous Charisma LP 1972 Maddy Prior US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN SEALED LP - Sails of Silver US $17.50 Buy It Now 1 day
MADDY PRIOR Woman In The Wings. BGO CD Steeleye Span Ian Anderson Jethro Tull US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAROLS & CAPERS Rare Signed Maddy Prior ex Steeleye Span Carnival Band 1991 CD US $46.06 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span - The Best Of & The Rest Of 24HR POST!! US $9.94 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN: Hark! The Village Wait US $2.99 [0 bids]
STEELEYE SPAN - BACK IN LINE [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $37.36 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN: THE VERY BEST OF CD 19 GREATEST HITS / NEW US $4.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span - The Lark in the Morning: The Early Years 2CD free US shipping! US $24.00 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span, Ten Men Mop, 1991 reissue, Made in UK, vinyl+cover NM++ US $9.99 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span ?- Please To See The King : Chyrsalis CHR 1119 vinyl LP US $9.00 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span ?- Hark! The Village Wait ; Chyrsalis CHR 1120 vinyl LP Mint- US $11.00 [0 bids]
STEELEYE SPAN - WINTERSMITH - NEW CD US $13.60 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN/pleae to see the king/1971 lp US $18.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN 'NOW WE ARE SIX' ORIGINAL 1974 GREEN CHRYSALIS RECORDS CHR-1053 NM US $10.99 [0 bids]
STEELEYE SPAN 'ALL AROUND MY HAT' ORIGINAL 1975 CHRYSALIS LABEL CHR-1091 EX US $10.99 [0 bids]
Steeleye Span Parcel Of Rogues 10 Track Vinyl LP US $15.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span Below The Salt 9 Track Vinyl LP US $17.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Ashley Hutchings - The Guv'nor CD British Folk Steeleye Span 1996 US $9.74 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN Below The Salt CHRYSALIS CHR-1008 EX/EX US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEELEYE SPAN Hark! The Village Wait MOONCREST CREST 22 Debut Album NM LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
STEELEYE SPAN Original Masters (2) LP UK IMPORT with Orig.Stickers BEAUTIFUL! NM US $14.99 [0 bids]
STEELEYE SPAN "Parcel Of Rogues" WHITE LABEL PROMO LP 1973 (Chrysalis CHR 1046) US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Steeleye Span - Parcel of Rogues - Rare OZ Sample + Insert / Folk Rock LP US $9.31 Buy It Now 1 day
GAY & TERRY WOODS (STEELEYE SPAN) - Tender hooks - 1978 ORIGINAL CANADA LP (NM) US $13.79 Buy It Now 2 days
Classic Albums: All Around My Hat/Commoners Crown Steeleye Span CD US $35.43 Buy It Now 2 days
Now We Are Six by Steeleye Span (CD, Mar-1991, Shanachie Records) US $11.75 Buy It Now 2 days
STEELEYE SPAN Portfolio CD NEW US $13.92 Buy It Now 2 days
STEELEYE SPAN 1972 UK LP Below The Salt US $16.77 Buy It Now 2 days
STEELEYE SPAN Please To See The King MOONCREST 1971 UK press FREE UK POST US $17.59 Buy It Now 2 days
STEELEYE SPAN maddy prior 3xLP LOT below the salt now we are 6 all around my hat US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
STEELEYE SPAN below the salt LP NM original 1972 chrysalis CHR 1008 maddy prior US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy STEELEYE SPAN music online Buy STEELEYE SPAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STEELEYE SPAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STEELEYE SPAN Portfolio ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(0%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(0%)

STEELEYE SPAN Portfolio reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Skimming the years

At the time of its release in 1988, it was probably assumed that "Portfolio" covered the entire extent of Steeleye Span's life-span. Founder Tim Hart had left some years earlier, and although the band had gone on to record "Back in line", it looked as if their time as an active project would come to a conclusion sooner rather than later. History shows that this was not to be the case, and the name Steeleye Span carries on as an active unit even today.

This collection gives us a very superficial overview of all the band's albums (with the strange exception of "Ten man mop") from "Hark, the village wait" right through to the above mentioned 1986 album "Back in line". The LP version, which ran to two discs, has four more tracks but the same albums contribute tracks to each.

I cannot say that had I been compiling the album, I would have chosen the same tracks by any means, but when most albums submit only one or two tracks, that is perhaps to be expected. Nevertheless, the omission of landmark songs such as "King Henry", "Drink down the moon", "Seven hundred elves" etc. does suggest to me at least that there is an element of randomness to the selections.

The band's best know singles, "All around my hat", Gaudete" and "Fighting for strangers" are all present, but only the last of these might be considered worthy by fans of the band. The version of "Thomas the rhymer" is the inferior abbreviated one found on later prints of "Now we are six". On the other hand, it is good to see the 8 minute "The Victory" being squeezed in, in full.

Of the tracks on the LP but not the CD, the operatic "The black freighter" from "Storm force ten" is ambitious but disposable, but "Long Lankin" could have justified its place on the CD with ease.

From a personal point of view, it is good to hear the three tracks from "Back in line", as I have yet to get hold of that album. Of these, "Edward" is the most striking, although it does confirm that the band are intent on continuing in the direction started on "Sails of silver". "White man" is even less like the folk band we know and love, the mood here being distinctly that of world music.

In all, this collection does its best to summarise 16 years and a dozen albums, but the challenge really is too great to expect anything other than the merest glimpse of the band. Anyone dipping a toe in the water with this collection will probably wonder what all the fuss is about. While it offers a small indication of the type of music Steeleye Span were experts at, it is probably more misleading that it is worthwhile.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#207827) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 20, 2009

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars (Recognize the style of the cover art? If you know Talk Talk albums, you can't mistake the James Marsh painting.)

This compilation of Steeleye Span was the third I have listened to (among few studio albums), and clearly the best of them. Easy Livin in his 2-star review talks about misleading randomness, but I have no such feeling. There may be some omitted landmark songs, but (being no expert of this band at all) I think this serves very well as an introduction to the 16-year timespan it covers, whether you're completely new to the band or have heard several albums. Of course a single disc can't do that very deeply, satisfying also connoisseurs, but hardly it has to. The most important thing is that it's packed with good music. (Since they are put under Prog Related here, a quick word on them: they were among the most succesful folk-rock bands during the seventies, rivalled by Fairport Convention. They performed mostly "Trad." material using mainly electric instruments - with professionalism and skill that was not for granted among folkies, and their key vocalist is the lovely Maddy Prior. BTW, the first place I heard her was in Mike Oldfield's Incantations.)

With 16 tracks - 20 on the original 2-LP - this CD represents some of the best music of their halcyon days of the seventies and briefly shows their evolution up to the 1986 album Back in Line. Also positive is that the short and basic liner notes give information on the album sources and the major changes in line-up in a user-friendly way. Thumbs up for this one!

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#550536) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 15, 2011

3 stars This album is my basic introduction to Steeleye Span. I am certainly no expert on this band and don't own any other of their releases, but I thought this would be a good intoduction to their music. This collection is a recap of about 20 years of their work in 20 songs- not an easy thing to do ... (read more)

Report this review (#282413) | Posted by mohaveman | Monday, May 17, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STEELEYE SPAN "Portfolio"