THE ALEPH

Alpha III

Alpha III The Aleph  album cover

Buy ALPHA III Music
Studio Album, released in 1989

1. The Aleph part I (21:21)
2. The Aleph part II (16:00)

3. Eternal Circle - Bonus track (5:15)

- Amyr Cantúsio Jr. / electric piano, organ, synthesizers, arp strings, whistles, Steinway grand piano, bells, drums, bass and vocals

Label: Self-released
Format: LP

Re-Issued in 1999 by Rock Symphony in CD

and to progshine for the last updates

Buy ALPHA III The Aleph Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Temple of DelphosTemple of Delphos
$19.68
The Seven SpheresThe Seven Spheres
Rock Symphony
$20.21

More places to buy ALPHA III music online Buy ALPHA III & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

ALPHA III The Aleph ratings distribution

ALPHA III The Aleph reviews

Review by Greger
1 stars This is as far as I know ALPHA III's third album, and it is inspired by the book "The Aleph" (Jorge Luis Borges / Argentina). The original LP edition was released in 1989, and the Brazilian label Rock Symphony now reissues it.

- The music is a mix between EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER, Mike OLDFIELD and VANGELIS with influences from the 70's and New Age. "The Aleph" is written as a lengthy piece with each separate part connected to the others. But the track I like the most is the bonus track "Eternal Circle" which is a very beautiful piece.

- Rock Symphony has re-released many progressive masterpieces, but this album isn't worth a re-release in my opinion, but maybe it will attract some fans of Mike OLDFIELD and VANGELIS.

Review by ProgShine
COLLABORATOR Errors & Omissions Team
2 stars Alpha III is the project of the Brazilian musician Amyr Cantúsio Jr. The Aleph (1989) is his most famous effort and his 6th record. The album was in fact composed in 1986 and it was inspired by the book of the same name by the Argentinian writer Jorge Luis Borges.

Amyr Cantúsio Jr. is sometimes mentioned as the Brazilian Mike Oldfield because of this record. Because here Amyr plays everything, just like Oldfield: electric piano, organ, synthesizers, arp strings, whistles, Steinway grand piano, bells, drums, bass and vocals. But that's the only comparision you can make between both musicians.

The Aleph (1989) is divided into 2 long parts, but in the CD reissued in 1999 by Rock Symphony we got 2 bonus tracks too: 'Eternal Circle' and a track that is not mentioned anywhere else, not even in the booklet.

The Aleph (1989) is in fact a good composition and I can see it with a full band. But unfortunately here we have a very amateurish production and poor instruments sounds all over, also Amyr playing is very poor with the exception of the keyboards, his main instrument.

'Part I' is divided into 4 parts: Overture, Dark Ocean, The Light and Visions. It clocks over 21 minutes. It is mainly based on keyboards and it haves an almost horrible drum play all through it. 'Part II' is also divided into 4 parts: Into The Storm, Windows, Piano Solo and Final Flight. It clocks 16 minutes. Here the drums continues with the bad playing, but now joined by the bass, everything terribly mixed. 'Into The Storm' is completely out of place with the rest. 'Windows' has vocals, good ones. And it starts the good music in the album. 'Piano Solo' is very good with E, L & P influence.

The bonus track 'Eternal Circle' steals APP melodies and the unnamed track was clearly not recorded during the same recording sessions.

The Aleph (1989) isn't a good production, at all. I would give it 2.5 stars if I could for he had recorded everything alone, because of the daring act of releasing this kind of record independently in 1989 in a market like the Brazilian one that was used to consume something completely different.

Key tracks: Part II b) Windows and c) Piano Solo.

3 stars Music and literature are - as Poe once said - linked, his exact words I can't recall, but it was something like this, "music when combined with a pleasurable idea is poetry, music without the idea is simply music".... maybe I won't make my point but I'll try anyway: music here is combined with ... (read more)

Report this review (#17682) | Posted by | Friday, April 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Without any doubt the best of all Alpha III albums,thanks of an excellent first side of the album.'Part 1' is a little bit influenced by the heavier King Crimson albums 'Red' and 'Larks tongues is aspic',but here's the guitar from Fripp,the bass from Wetton replaced by an army of synthesisers.Also f ... (read more)

Report this review (#17680) | Posted by | Friday, January 30, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ALPHA III "The Aleph "