ODYSSEY

- John Myung / bass
- Mike Portnoy / drums

Guest:
- Jerry Goodman / violin

Thanks to Ykoz for the addition

DREAM THEATER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DREAM THEATER Odyssey Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Dream TheaterDream Theater
Atlantic 2005
The Studio Albums 1992-2011The Studio Albums 1992-2011
Box set
Roadrunner 2014
Dream Theater - Score: 20th Anniversary World Tour Live with the Octavarium OrchestraDream Theater - Score: 20th Anniversary World Tour Live with the Octavarium Orchestra
Multiple Formats
Six Degrees of Inner TurbulenceSix Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Wea/Elektra Entertainment 2002
AwakeAwake
Atlantic 1994
A Dramatic Turn of Events (Special Edition) (CD+DVD)A Dramatic Turn of Events (Special Edition) (CD+DVD)
Roadrunner Records 2011
LP awake ~ USD $26.68
LP falling into infinity ~ USD $26.68
LP metropolis pt. 2: scenes from a memory ~ USD $26.68

More places to buy DREAM THEATER music online Buy DREAM THEATER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DREAM THEATER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DREAM THEATER Odyssey ratings distribution

DREAM THEATER Odyssey reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Odyssey' - Dream Theater (Single)

While the Queen medley 'Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist/Lily of the Valley' has left the most lasting impression on me among Dream Theater's 2009 covers, it was this instrumental 'Odyssey' (originally done by one of Jordan Rudess' old bands, Dixie Dregs) that blew my mind the most upon initial listen.

At times this is more along the lines of a 'Dream Theater style' than Dream Theater has cared to do in a long time. It's very chaotic at times, with alot of time signature changes. There are also rather laid back parts to add to the mix as well however; somehow John Petrucci manages to make his guitar sound like a violin! Just listen and you'll know what I'm talking about.

This is a perfect cover for Dream Theater's instrumentalists to do because it lets them put their virtuosic talents to good use, without giving a bunch of room to meander and solo. Very impressive display of musicianship, and my second favourite cover of the 'Uncovered (2008- 2009)' batch...

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#223669) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 28, 2009

Review by Gatot
3 stars I swear I have never heard this song before. So, the main intent of this review is NOT to compare with the original: how the cover differs from the original version by Dixie Dregs. I feel inclined to write because I find this track is quite interesting to enjoy really. The basic structure is not as straight as normal rock composition, it has many changes in style. It must be a progressive tune. The tagline melody, even though it's an instrumental piece, is a nice one. The harmonies resuted from different instruments played are very good.

One thing I forgot to mention on the review of original album 'Black Clouds & Silver Linings' album ie the existence of veteran violin player Jerry Goodman who is no stranger at all in prog rock music. Violin is one of the critical instruments used in this track in addition to guitar. Jerry plays his role wonderfully throughout the track. Of course Petrucci's guitar work enriches the whole tranck nicely as he provides his solo in various style changes. In some musical breaks he fills it with acoustic work. I miss the violin playing by Goodman - that's why I am very keen with this song because of his violin work.

Overall, this is a very good instrumental piece featuring violin and guitar as soloist. Until I am writing this reveiew I have no clue yet about how the original song was performed by Dixie Dregs. It's enough to create a lever for me to explore Dixie Dregs music. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#227202) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 17, 2009

Review by jampa17
3 stars Interesting and unusual. What else do you need?

I don't know the original version of the Dixie Dregs, so this was my first time with this song. The song is original, fresh, complex but maintain a tendency of catchy riffing and very appealing to an average listener. The violin is wonderful and the guitar effects are quite good and different from what Petrucci tends to sound, and that's a plus.

Dream Theater played it great. It's interesting how their sound is different but at the end you know is DT, so, you should check this song out if you are a fan or a casual listener of this band. Definitely a great cover song, not as the wonderful Queen's cover but really a great one.

Don't need to buy the digital download though, you can have this great track along with the other 5 cover songs included in the special edition of the Black Cloud & Silver Linings 3CDs. 3 stars is fair enough.

Send comments to jampa17 (BETA) | Report this review (#276443) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 05, 2010

Review by baz91
5 stars Dream Theater's cover of the Dixie Dregs instrumental Odyssey from the 1978 album 'What If' is the third of five covers that the band would release in the build up to their tenth album 'Black Clouds & Silver Linings'. Dream Theater once again play the track very faithfully, although altering some of the solos.

This is a shimmering track with beautiful musical vistas and complex heavy parts too. I remember when I was more involved with Dream Theater, I was quite envious, wishing that my favourite band could write instrumentals as creative and enjoyable as this! As an interesting side-note, the Dixie Dregs are Jordan Rudess's old band, but this track was recorded long before he was part of their line-up. This is wonderful, interesting prog that will make you sigh with delight. Even if this track is a cover, I still think this track is a masterpiece

Send comments to baz91 (BETA) | Report this review (#524102) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 15, 2011

Post a review of DREAM THEATER "Odyssey"