QUARANTE JOURS SUR LE SINAÏ

Nil

Nil Quarante Jours Sur Le Sinaï album cover

Buy NIL Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

The album is divided in two parts:
Act I - 36:16
Act II - 26:42

Search NIL Quarante Jours Sur Le Sinaï lyrics

Search NIL Quarante Jours Sur Le Sinaï tabs

- David Maurin / prepared guitars, flute, gong, bass clarinet
- Samuel Maurin / bass, stick, voice, Aegyptian incantations
- Benjamin Croizy / synthesizers, mellotron, church organ, Hammond organ, piano, MS 20, timpani
- Frank Niebel / drums, percussion

- Hervé Franconi / soprano saxophone
- Francois Pernel / harp
- Audrey Casella / narrator

Nil Records Nil03

NIL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NIL Quarante Jours Sur Le Sinaï Music

NILS LOFGREN 'I GO TO PIECES' UK 7" SINGLE US $6.74 Buy It Now 8h 46m
33 lp record Nils Lofgren i came to dance US $6.50 Buy It Now 16h 24m
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1977 NILS LOFGREN I Came To Dance SP-4628 Pop Rock USA NEW US $15.00 Buy It Now 17h 14m
NILS LOFGREN-I CAME TO DANCE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 18h 27m
NILS LOFGREN I CAME TO DANCE a&m 77 A1B1 Lp ex/ex US $13.49 Buy It Now 18h 42m
Nils Lofgren - I Came to Dance -LP -Near Mint-FREE SHIP US $14.99 Buy It Now 20h 8m
NILS LOFGREN I CAME TO DANCE LP 812 US $8.99 Buy It Now 23h 46m
LOFGREN, NILS i came to dance VG/VG UK AMLH64628 | 13-1030-030 US $18.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Nutty Boys(7" Vinyl)It's Ok, I'm A Policeman-NIL0037-UK-VG+/VG+ US $36.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Nils Lofgren, I Came To Dance record US $1.67 [0 bids]
nils lofgren lp i came to dance sr-4628 vg+/m- US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Nils Lofgren - I Came To Dance / Japan SHM-CD Mini LP OBI UICY-76084 [Sealed] US $36.99 [0 bids]
Nils Lofgren sealed Lp I Came to Dance US $5.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Nils Lofgren- I Came to Dance- new/sealed 8 Track tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Nils Lofgren(Vinyl LP)I Came To Dance-A & M-AMLH 64628-UK-VG+/VG US $11.80 Buy It Now 3 days
Nils Lofgren(Vinyl LP)I Came To Dance-A & M-AMLH 64628-UK-VG+/VG US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
I CAME TO DANCE NILS LOFGREN 45RPM RECORD W/SLEEVE COUNTRY 1977 A US $1.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Nils Lofgren - I Came To Dance; A&M Records ?- SP-4628 NM cond (Springsteen) US $8.00 [0 bids]
NILS LOFGREN I Came To Dance 1977 lp vinyl record album VG condition US $12.34 Buy It Now 4 days
NILS LOFGREN-NIGHT AFTER NIGHT-JAPAN MINI LP 2 SHM-CD Ltd/Ed I50 zd US $42.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Lp-NILS LOGREN-I Came To Dance-1977-Code of the Road US $5.99 [0 bids]
Nils Flacke I Remember Sweden vinyl LP Fiesta Records VG+ cheesecake US $28.00 Buy It Now 4 days
NILS LOFGREN - I CAME TO DANCE - A&M RECORDS LP US $7.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Nils Lofgren-If I say it, It's So/Back it Up, ex-Crazy Horse, gtrist, AM 1974 US $6.50 [0 bids]
NILS LOFGREN ancient history 7" b/w i go to pieces(mca757) us backstreet 1981 US $8.42 Buy It Now 5 days
NILS LOFGREN i don't want to know 7" b/w one more saturday night (ams7197) uk a US $20.19 Buy It Now 5 days
NILS LOFGREN no mercy 7" b/w i found her (ams7624) pic slv dutch a&m 1979 US $11.97 Buy It Now 5 days
Nils Lofgren - I Came To Dance 1977 white label vinyl US $6.11 Buy It Now 5 days
Nils Lofgren - I Came To Dance LP Promo 1977 A&M Records SP-4628 US $10.00 Buy It Now 5 days
NILS LOFGREN I Came To Dance 1977 LP AMLH 64628 VG/VG+ US $4.50 Buy It Now 5 days
NILS LOFGREN LP I CAME TO DANCE French issue / gatefold US $14.35 Buy It Now 5 days
OUT OF PRINT HIP-O SELECT NILS LOFGREN I CAME TO DANCE MINT SEALED 2010 US $49.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Nutty Boys(7" Vinyl)It's Ok, I'm A Policeman-NIL0037-UK-VG+/VG+ US $37.13 Buy It Now 6 days
NILS LOFGREN - I Came To Dance (Promo) US $4.50 Buy It Now 6 days
I Came To Dance Nils Lofgren vinyl LP album record UK AMLH64628 A US $16.01 Buy It Now 7 days
NILS LOFGREN I Came To Dance (1977) JAPAN CD issue US $30.40 Buy It Now 7 days
NILS LOFGREN I Came To Dance A&M UK 1977 LP US $8.42 Buy It Now 7 days
NILS LOFGREN I came to dance US $12.65 Buy It Now 7 days
NUTTY BOYS I'm A Policeman 12"+press/lyrics UK 1992 Nils Satis NIL00312 MADNESS US $13.49 Buy It Now 8 days
NILS LOFGREN I CAME TO DANCE 1977 LP AM SP-4628 ***** US $2.98 Buy It Now 8 days
NILS LOFGREN: I Came to Dance-NM1977LP ANDY NEWMARK US $8.49 Buy It Now 8 days
NIL LARA-HOW WAS I TO KNOW (2 VERSIONS) RARE rock CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 9 days
Nils Lofgren "I Came to Dance" LP in SHRINK US $5.57 Buy It Now 9 days
I Came To Dance Nils Lofgren UK 7" vinyl single record AMS7288 A US $16.78 Buy It Now 10 days
Bach Larsson Olsson - Nils Larsson: Tre Orglar I Hogalidskyrkan CD US $33.43 Buy It Now 10 days
Bach/Larsson/Olsson - Nils Larsson: Tre Orglar I Hogalidskyrkan [CD New] US $22.39 Buy It Now 10 days
NILS LOFGREN I CAME TO DANCE LP GATEFOLD EX US $6.74 Buy It Now 10 days
NILS LOFGREN, I CAME TO DANCE - LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 10 days
NILS LOFGREN, I CAME TO DANCE - LP RECORD US $8.99 Buy It Now 10 days
NILS LARSSON: TRE ORGLAR I HOGALIDSKYRAN / NILS LARSSON - NEW CD BOXSET US $30.42 Buy It Now 10 days
Nils-Bertil Dahlander I VarmlandEverything Will Be Alright CD US $9.44 Buy It Now 10 days
nils lofgren - i go to pieces - 7" vinyl single e street band US $16.87 Buy It Now 11 days
N.I.L.: S/T ST Self Titled Same CD 2007 Southern Lord Battle BKR018 Nil NEW US $8.95 Buy It Now 12 days
NILS LOFGREN I came to dance A & M and insert US $14.35 Buy It Now 12 days
NILS LOFGREN I Came To Dance A&M VG++/MINT! US $8.50 Buy It Now 12 days
RIGMOR GUSTAFSSON & NILS LANDGREN I Will Wait For You GER Digipak CD Near Mint ! US $25.25 Buy It Now 13 days
Bach/larsson/olsson:tre Orglar I Hoga - Nils Larsson New & Sealed CD US $33.85 Buy It Now 13 days
Nils Flacke: I Remember Sweden, Vol. 2 - - Fiesta Records, MONO, FLP-1267 US $4.99 Buy It Now 13 days
1977 - NILS LOFGREN - I Came To Dance - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $15.18 Buy It Now 14 days
Nils Lofgren: I came to dance 7" RARE STUNNING NEAR MINT US $6.74 Buy It Now 14 days
NILS LOFGREN I Came To Dance ORIGINAL 1977 FRENCH PRESSING VINYL LP US $11.80 Buy It Now 14 days
Nils Lofgren - I Came To Dance AMLH 64628 UK LP 1st Press 1977 White Label Promo US $13.49 Buy It Now 14 days
I Came to Dance - Lofgren,Nils New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $52.69 Buy It Now 15 days
NILS LOFTGREN - I CAME TO DANCE (LP) US $5.00 Buy It Now 15 days
NILS LOFGREN ~ I Came To Dance ~ Vinyl LP USA PRESSING US $13.49 Buy It Now 15 days
Nils Flacke I Remember Sweden Vol II LP VG++ FLP1267 US $9.95 Buy It Now 15 days
NILS LOFGREN i came to dance AMLH 64628 uk a&m LP PS EX/EX US $15.18 Buy It Now 16 days
NILS LOFGREN I Came To Dance JAPAN LP GP-2038 US $10.00 Buy It Now 16 days
Nils Lofgren - I Came to Dance (1977 LP with Lyric Inner. AMLH 64628) US $10.11 Buy It Now 16 days
Nils Lofgren "I Came to Dance" LP US $5.95 Buy It Now 16 days
NILS LOFGREN I+I (1972) genuine USA Epic CD issue US $24.00 Buy It Now 16 days
Nil Lara - How Was I To Know 4 track - 1996 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $9.72 Buy It Now 16 days
NILS LOFGREN I Came To Dance '77 8 Track Tape & Box in Cellophane NM- E STREET US $5.00 Buy It Now 17 days
Nils Lofgren I Came To Dance LP A&M Records SP4628 Rare Rock Springsteen VG+ US $3.99 Buy It Now 18 days
NILS LOFGREN i came to dance LP VG+ SP-4628 TJ Sterling Ted Jensen 1977 Record US $4.80 Buy It Now 18 days
NILS LOFGREN i came to dance LP VG+ WLP SP 4628 Promo WL TJ Sterling 1977 Record US $12.00 Buy It Now 18 days
I Came To Dance by Nils Lofgren US $9.29 Buy It Now 19 days
Nil - N.i.l. New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.85 Buy It Now 19 days
NILS LOFGREN i came to dance LP 9 track in demo stickered sleeve but has 2 holes US $8.42 Buy It Now 19 days
NILS LOFGREN I Came To Dance WHITE LBL DJ LP US $17.99 Buy It Now 19 days
2014 REMASTER NILS LOFGREN I Came to Dance JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD US $32.00 Buy It Now 19 days
NILS LOFGREN - 7"Single -I Came To Dance (EX+) US $11.80 Buy It Now 20 days
Nils Lofgren "I Came to Dance" LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 20 days
NILS LOFGREN - 3 LP'S: Nils, I Came to Dance and Grin US $25.00 Buy It Now 20 days
NILS LOFGREN I CAME TO DANCE 8-TRACK TAPE STILL SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Nils Lofgren - I Came To Dance (1977 A&M Records SP-4628) Used Vinyl LP US $2.00 Buy It Now 21 days
NILS LOFGREN 45 I Came To Dance / Code Of The Road - NM US $5.00 Buy It Now 21 days
NIL LARA -HOW WAS I TO KNOW 2-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS220 US $3.99 Buy It Now 21 days
BIRGITTA ANDERSSON-WHITED & NILS LUNDIN Säg Det I Toner TAPE Swedish Scandinavia US $9.99 Buy It Now 21 days
NILS LOFGREN i came to dance AMLH 64628 uk a&m LP PS EX/EX US $15.18 Buy It Now 22 days
Nils Lofgren, I Came To Dance US $5.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Nils Lofgren/I came to dance/A&M/lyrics sheet/Canada/NM- HEAR US $7.95 Buy It Now 22 days
NIL LARA How Was I to Know PROMO [CD] [2 TRACKS] 1996 US $2.49 Buy It Now 22 days
Nils Lofgren I Came To Dance Vintage 8 Track Tape Classic Stereo Cartridge Music US $8.99 Buy It Now 23 days
NILS LOFGREN - I Came To Dance - Ex Con LP Record US $13.49 Buy It Now 23 days
NILS LOFGREN i came to dance Lp RECORD UK 1977 US $9.75 Buy It Now 23 days
Nils Lofgren - I Came To Dance - 1977 A&M Records AMLH 64628 Vinyl US $13.51 Buy It Now 23 days
NILS LOFGREN I CAME TO DANCE A&M 1977 US $3.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Nils Lofgren "I Came To Dance" LP, US $3.39 Buy It Now 24 days
Nils Lofgren ( Springsteen I CAME TO DANCE new Zeland US $34.99 Buy It Now 24 days

More places to buy NIL music online Buy NIL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NIL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NIL Quarante Jours Sur Le Sinaï ratings distribution

NIL Quarante Jours Sur Le Sinaï reviews

Review by Peter
4 stars In 2003, French prog act NIL released their fine third album, the hypnotic and evocative QUARANTE JOURS LE SINAI (Forty days on the Sinai). This is very professional and varied music -- at times reminiscent of Andy Summers and Robert Fripp's 80s collaborations (the sparkling guitar & stick work brought Summers to mind immediately) -- at others much like a film score. Instrumentation includes fretless bass; Chapman stick (as popularized by Crimson's Tony Levin); some highly accomplished lead guitar that can touch upon the terrains of metal, jazz, and Crimson-esque pure prog within a short span of time; piano and the full gamut of prog keyboards; drums and percussion; and a colourful palette of secondary instruments like flute, harp, cello and sax that nicely fill out the sound, and keep things interesting and dynamic. Add to all the instrumental wizardry some good but sparingly-used male and female vocals (all in French), courtesy of a cadre of fine singers, and you have all that one might wish for in a new "symphonic" prog recording.

In classic prog style, this concept disc is organized into two long "Acts" (or suites), that very convincingly capture the atmosphere of ancient Egypt and the Sinai peninsula. Listening to this excellent music, I leave the frigid, dark days of the looming Canadian winter far behind (or, at least, comfortably outside), and journey to an exotic, mysterious, and sun-blasted ancient land.

Yes, Virginia (or is it Joren?) -- there IS great new original progressive rock. It is alive and well, and currently residing in France -- with extended forays to the Middle East. Take a trip to the sands of the Sinai with NIL today! Highly recommended

Send comments to Peter (BETA) | Report this review (#18080) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 22, 2004

4 stars What an impressive release from the French band NIL. After reviewing the THORK album, i'm starting to believe that the Maurin brothers (the two guitarists) are musical masterminds.THORK is a side project for them that is a little experimental, with an Avant feel to it. Another side project is SYRINX, more dark and atmospheric music. So although this is another dark record there is so much variety on it, from Jazz to Fusion to Avant and even some Metal. And yet this record flows like a river.

There is a real harmony to the record. It's a concept album about Egypt and it's gods, made up of part I (over 36 min.) and part II (over 26 min.). On my stereo it shows 28 songs, and most of them flow into each other with no break in between. Another observation is the instruments used, from mellotron to cello and harp, sax, church organ, clarinet and more. Male and female singers as well, although there is by far more instrumental music than vocals.The joy for me is listening to the lead guitarist David Maurin play. The different styles he plays, the unique sounds, from fiery to angular to scrorching to riffs to acoustic and so on.

Buying this NIL record is a no brainer, there is enough complexity and variety and beauty to keep even the most seasoned progger interested for a long time.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#91543) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 24, 2006

Review by Finnforest
3 stars Dreams from the desert

A very deep expanse of sounds. An unfathomably wide open and uncompromising piece of music. Stylish, modern, exploratory progressive rock. "40 Days in the Sinai" is one long dream of 65 minutes divided into but two "acts" as they are denoted, though the disc does chapter them into about 30 short pieces not individually titled. They can sound a bit like Crimson at times, a bit Karcius, Lost World, Gabriel, and at times, Durutti Column. But these are mere suggestions, in reality NIL has produced a work that is quite visionary as it merges themes of past ages with music looking to the future. It's a work that is bold and complex but not quite perfect.

Tracks are often without much traditional structure but grow from moody textures of winding guitar notes, keyboards, or perhaps the harp. Often present is an unpredictable Tony Levin style of bass playing, at times mellow and other times aggressive. Some tracks will be augmented with dreamy and delicate female vocals, others with cello or sudden bursts of raging loud guitar in the surprise manner employed by Discus. There are gorgeous acoustic guitar sections and wistful passages of flute. Track 8 is the first one to mention. After some relatively calm openings, they contrast those notes against bursts of angular near-shred to good effect. Roselyne Berthet's smooth-hazed vocals instantly put you into trance on even the brief track 11, they make me feel like I'm floating on a pool of water. The next track gets quite disturbing with sinister organ over distorted male vocals and electric guitar. Track 16 is one that we stream on the site and is fairly representative of the album, except that most of the tracks do not have the female vocals. So as you listen to it, if it would interest you without the vocals, then it should be a safe bet for you to shell out the money. Track 17 is a favorite of mine, just the distant guitar notes with the wordless ethereal voice and without the constant busy bass. Track 19 features the wonderful harp over serene synthesizer with cello.very lovely.

As fascinating and beautiful as this work often is there is definitely something missing for me on the emotional level. It earns 3 stars immediately for being bold and intricate, but I can't give it more stars because it is one of those many albums that I love with my head but not with my heart. My head may do cartwheels over the many technically astounding parts but my heart is somewhat indifferent to the album as a whole. Nevertheless I do recommend this fine work to anyone interesting in quality modern prog. Unicorn did a very nice job with the artwork, providing a brief foldout booklet with a thicker lyrics book in English and French.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#167446) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
2 stars Originally released in 2002, this album has now been reissued by Unicorn due to the response that the band have had to their recent release on the label, 'Nil Novo Sub Sole'. As can be guessed form the title, this is a concept album, here comprising two tracks of more than thirty minutes long. All of the lyrics are in French but there is a very good booklet which provides lots of information in English. I have tried to get on with this album, but even though I have played it quite a few times, and am impressed with some of the instrumental sections , find that it is just too long and meandering. It never seems to be getting anywhere and although there is no doubting the skill of those involved there is the feeling that if they had stuck to shorter songs with more of a sense of direction then the end result would have been much better. Not one to which I will readily be returning. www.unicorndigital.com

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#906919) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Nil were found in mid-90's in Annecy, France by guitarist David Maurin and drummer Julien Paget, joined soon by Samuel Maurin on bass and Benjamin Croizy on keyboards.When Paget left, Frank Niebel joined in and the new line-up recorded two very rare self-produced albums, ''Bruismes'' from 98' and the EP ''Nocturnes'' from 99', at a time when the group was searching its own identity.By the start of the millenium they decided to collaborate with female singer Roselyne Berthet and along with several guest musicians and singers they recorded the album ''Quarante jours sur le Sinaï'', released in 2002.

In an act of great confidence and self-belief the French group offered two very long, epic tracks in this album, the 36-min. ''Acte I'' and its following 26-min. ''Acte II''.Both tracks are extremely tight and coherent with no particular dead holes and are great examples of dark, atmospheric Progressive Rock with strong hints from Orchestral and Soundtrack Music next to the standard Classical and jazzy inspirations, with enough complexity but also some very ethereal passages as well.Maybe you should imagine a cross between KING CRIMSON, WOBBLER and SEVEN REIZH to get an idea of how this album sounds, but again some very careful listenings is what is recommended to fully appreciate this style of playing.The album is characterized by some extemely complex guitar parts with a sinister touch, haunting Mellotron waves next to some edgy and nervous electronics and church-styled organs and a very solid rhythm section.This combination delivers very complicated themes, alternating between hypnotic grooves and loose performances, but there are also enough breaks to be found that lead to series of dreamy textures.The later are based on Berthet's superb, crystal-clear voice and the intelligent use of synthesizers, while parts of them even contain some beatiful melodies and delicate orchestrations.This amalgam of diverse themes works very nice and the album flows extremely well with no evident interruptions between the amount of short tracks, of which the two epics are composed.

Nice and recommended example of deeply atmospheric Progressive Rock with a variety of influences and soundscapes, starting from cinematic offerings and ending up in symphonic or jazzy arrangements.Great stuff...3.5 stars.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#961841) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 18, 2013

5 stars ''The day it is born to eternity is a beautiful day... [Book of the Aegyptian Dead] NIL is a very highly, I mean VERY HIGHLY talented group from France, who's ambitiousness, perfectionism and talent could be described for example via the song in their first self produced record: There ... (read more)

Report this review (#168472) | Posted by Nilman | Wednesday, April 23, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the band's 2nd full-length album and the one that got them some worldwide recognition in the prog circles as well. It is an album about the Egyptian mythology: an ambitious concept containing two acts and a total of over 60 minutes of music and it manages to keep things interesting the wh ... (read more)

Report this review (#47530) | Posted by geezer | Tuesday, September 20, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Original, dark but with no shadows (of doubt). A fabulous masterpiece from a country where progressive music is being so well treated (Priam, Taal, Sotos, Nebelnest, Syrinx, Thork...). All here is inventive, all here is fascinating. Do you really want to know if there's a future for symphonic ... (read more)

Report this review (#18078) | Posted by | Tuesday, May 18, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I heard "Quarante Jours Sur Le Sinaï" and I was stunned. It's a captivating concept album. Roselyn Berthet's voice is exquisiste. This album deserves a try. It won't let you down regardless of the style of prog you like. ... (read more)

Report this review (#18077) | Posted by | Thursday, January 08, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NIL "Quarante Jours Sur Le Sinaï"