AND CLOSE AS THIS

Peter Hammill

Peter Hammill And Close as This album cover

Buy PETER HAMMILL Music
Studio Album, released in 1986

1. Too Many of My Yesterdays (4:48)
2. Faith (4:28)
3. Empire of Delight (4:44)
4. Silver (5:29)
5. Beside the One You Love (5:14)
6. Other Old Chichés (4:07)
7. Confidence (6:37)
8. Sleep Now (4:44)

Search PETER HAMMILL And Close as This lyrics

Search PETER HAMMILL And Close as This tabs

- Peter Hammill / vocals, keyboards

Virgin Records, CDV2409 (UK, 1986)

PETER HAMMILL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PETER HAMMILL And Close as This Music

In the Passionkirche Berlin 19In the Passionkirche Berlin 19
Multiple Formats · Import
Voiceprint UK 2010
DVD$11.48
Plus from Us Ayub Ogada~The Meters~Peter Hammill~Dmitir Pokrovs US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Peter Hammill - Skin [CD New] US $16.20 Buy It Now 5h 30m
EX- !! Peter Hammill/The Future Now/1978 Charisma LP/Van Der Graaf Generator US $21.08 Buy It Now 5h 33m
PETER HAMMILL - SKIN [BONUS TRACK] - NEW CD US $13.22 Buy It Now 6h 59m
Peter Hammill / Gary Lucas - Other World (NEW CD) US $18.24 Buy It Now 9h 41m
Peter Hammill - Over (2006) NR MINT! 24HR POST!! US $12.16 Buy It Now 11h 52m
PETER HAMMILL - VERACIOUS [PETER HAMMILL] - NEW CD US $12.21 Buy It Now 12h 43m
Peter Hammill/Gary Lucas -CD 2014 - Other World(Van der Graaf generator) US $5.19 [2 bids]
Peter Hammill ?- The Love Songs ORIG '84 UK CHARISMA LP vdgg US $12.98 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL: The Future Now LP (cut corner) Rock & Pop US $15.00 Buy It Now 15h 8m
Peter Hammill CHAMELEON IN THE SHADOW OF THE NIGHT Japan ORIGINAL mini lp CD M US $29.95 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill THE SILENT CORNER AND THE EMPTY STAGE Japan ORIGINAL mini lp CD M US $34.95 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill IN CAMERA Japan ORIGINAL mini lp CD MINT US $34.95 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL BLACK BOX JAPAN MADE MINI LP CD NEW OUT OF PRINT VJCP-68799 US $18.99 Buy It Now 16h 33m
Fool's Mate Peter Hammill MINI LP CD 2005 REMASTER VH Records Made in Italy PROG US $18.00 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - THE LOVE SONGS [PETER HAMMILL] - NEW CD US $9.19 Buy It Now 18h 56m
le Orme Felona & e Sorona LP Italy uk Prog '73 gate cas1072 w/peter hammill rare US $199.00 Buy It Now 22h 11m
PETER HAMMILL SITTING TARGETS~RARE LYRIC INSERT~NM/NM-~ORIG 1981 LP US $16.50 [0 bids]
1977 - PETER HAMMILL - Over - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.59 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL In Camera Remastered + Bonus Tracks CD NEW & SEALED US $8.03 Buy It Now 1 day
prog PETER HAMMILL Fool's Mate 1971 BUDDAH LP Canada VDGG Van der Graaf US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL - LOOPS & REELS - NEW CD US $23.66 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill - What Now? [New] US $26.33 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill - This [CD New] US $14.05 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL ph 7 LP Mint- CA 1 2205 Vinyl 1977 Record US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill - The Future Now NEW CD US $7.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill - In the Passionkirche Berlin 1992 2CDs Live Van Der Graaf US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Thin Air by PETER HAMMILL (CD, 2009, FIE! Records) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL FOOL'S MATE 1971 CHARISMA CAS 1037 EX- EX+ US $29.20 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL 1989 issue UK IMPORT CD PH7 11tracks VIRGIN RECORDS US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill - Sitting Targets NEW CD US $7.97 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL - THIS NEW CD US $21.63 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL - FUTURE NOW - BONUS TRACKS (IMPORT) NEW CD US $54.63 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill ex UK PS My Experience / Glue US $9.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill Fool's Mate CD album (CDLP) UK CASCDR1037 EMI 2005 US $23.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill Over CD album (CDLP) UK CASCDR1125 EMI 2006 US $28.38 Buy It Now 1 day
None Of The Above - Peter Hammill New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $21.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill - X My Heart CD Album US $11.34 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator Reflection German '75 NM LP WOW prog rare peter hammill! US $27.00 Buy It Now 2 days
5012981220327 Sitting Targets by Peter Hammill (1994) - CD - FAST POST US $8.91 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL - WHAT, NOW? [5023522912328] - NEW CD US $23.32 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill - Black Box [CD New] US $9.24 Buy It Now 2 days
5012981106720 Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night by Peter Hammill - MINT CD US $12.80 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill & the K Group - The Margin 2x LP NM UK Foundry FONDL 1 US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
@PETER HAMMILL/SKIN/JAPAN MINI LP CD US $26.80 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL Fool's Mate lp Van Der Graaf US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill - Black Box CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Hammill - This CD US $17.89 Buy It Now 3 days
X My Heart, Peter Hammill, Very Good Original recording remastered US $17.56 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL the love songs CD Van der Graaf Generator US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL / GARY LUCAS other world LP 10 track with lyric inner sleeve (eant US $37.31 Buy It Now 3 days
CD Double: Peter Hammill : In The Passionskirche Berlin US $22.30 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL - A BLACK BOX - S-TYPE RECORDS-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [1 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - SITTING TARGETS - PVC - 1981-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - AND CLOSE AS THIS - ENGMA - 1986-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [1 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - PATIENCE - 1983 NAIVE-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [1 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - THE LOVE SONGS- 1984 - UK IMPORT-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - IN CAMERA - CAS1089-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [1 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - ENTER K - 1982 MERCURY BLUE LABEL-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [1 bids]
PETER HAMMILL love songs LP 10 track with inner (8224491) uk mercury 1984 US $19.82 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL VISION LP RECORD ROCK MUSIC CHARISMA RECORDS PROGRESSIVE ROCK US $4.99 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill pH7 vinyl LP album record UK CAS1146 CHARISMA 1979 US $25.89 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Pawn Hearts UK Prog ORIG '71 PINK Label Lp PETER HAMMILL US $199.99 Buy It Now 4 days
music and rhythm 2lp vinyl peter hammill xtc US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Hammill - Over [CD New] US $11.70 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Hammill - Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night [CD New] US $11.81 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER HAMMILL singularity UK CD VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR LY91 US $8.09 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER HAMMILL A Black Box SEALED Original UK pressing, 1980 s type 1, prog rock US $55.00 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER HAMMILL - PNO GRT VOX: LIVE PERFORMANCES [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $15.80 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Hammill - Fool's Mate (2005 Virgin EMI remaster - Includes 5 Bonus Tracks US $10.95 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER HAMMILL:Farewell My Lovely-U.S. LP Enald Records 8764 PCV,Live Montreal 77 US $64.98 Buy It Now 4 days
X My Heart by Peter Hammill (CD, May-1996, Discipline) Van Der Graaf Generator US $6.00 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER HAMMILL Vision IMP 1016 1975 Prog Rock Vinyl Lp N/Mint- US $19.98 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER HAMMILL - Skin CD 2007 Remastered +1 BONUS US $9.80 Buy It Now 5 days
RARE and VERY CHEAP Van Der Graaf Generator. Peter Hammill.In Camera.Exc. lp. US $10.00 [0 bids]
SUPER RAREST Van Der Graaf Generator. Peter Hammill.Out of Water.Excellent lp. US $10.00 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - WHAT NOW NEW CD US $31.26 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL - OVER NEW CD US $16.44 Buy It Now 5 days
Peter Hammill - Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Peter Hammill - Over CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL - CHAMELEON IN THE SHADOW OF THE NIGHT NEW CD US $16.44 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL - BLACK BOX NEW CD US $16.44 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL / GARY LUCAS - OTHER WORLD NEW CD US $23.86 Buy It Now 5 days
Peter Hammill - Nadir's Big Chance CD BARGAIN!! CLASSIC!! FREE!! UK 24-HR POST!! US $12.97 Buy It Now 5 days
Other World * by Gary Lucas (Guitar)/Peter Hammill (CD, Feb-2014, Esoteric... US $18.29 Buy It Now 5 days
Peter Hammill ?- The Essential Collection Rare Spartan Records ?- spdcd 1 CD US $22.70 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL Black Box '80 S Type UK import in shrink M- looks unplayed US $40.00 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL Skin USA 2nd Press Vinyl LP Record ENIGMA 1986 EX/EX VAN DER GRAAF US $11.34 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL A Black Box DUTCH 1stPress Vinyl LP MERCURY 6302067 1980 VG++/VG++ US $9.72 [0 bids]
80s ROCK 45 RPM w/PICTURE SLEEVE - PETER HAMMILL - NAIVE 3 - "PARADOX DRIVE" US $6.50 Buy It Now 5 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR PETER HAMMILL Theme One / W GERMAN 7"PS 1972 NEAR MINT! US $49.99 [1 bids]
Peter Hammill & K Group: The Margin(Live) 2xLP UK Van der Graaf Generator US $15.99 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL-A Black Box-OR.UK PROG. LP! XLNT! US $7.99 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL:(From VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR)On Location-U.K.LP PCV Live 90 US $68.98 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL In A Foreign Town RESTLESS LP NM shrink insert US $11.95 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL/GRAHAM SMITH // Modern / ORIG 1979 US 2LP set - EX/MINT- in Shrink US $49.98 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL Fool's Mate US CHARISMA VG+ VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR US $9.99 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL Nadir's Big Chance UK CHARISMA EX VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR US $9.99 [0 bids]
CD PETER HAMMILL - SKIN Van Der Graaf Generator Guy Evans Hugh Banton Jax US $5.00 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - UNSUNG [PETER HAMMILL] - NEW CD US $12.65 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy PETER HAMMILL music online Buy PETER HAMMILL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PETER HAMMILL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PETER HAMMILL And Close as This ratings distribution

PETER HAMMILL And Close as This reviews

Review by Tom Ozric
4 stars When it comes to PH, naturally I go for any of his 70's releases, they are much more exciting and complex, but to ignore his 80's output would be a severe loss for any lover of music. Taking a simpler approach (though nothing is ever 'simple' regarding this genius), 'And Close As This' shows what an intelligent musician can create with 'one pass of the hands across a keyboard', as stated on the back cover of the LP. I gather that this means he's basically playing the song 'solo' on a piano (or computer sequence) with no further musical over-dubs as such. The songs remain full of emotion, passionately sung and powerful. Strongest tracks, IMO, would have to be 'Too Many Of My Yesterdays', the beautiful 'Empire Of Delight' and 'Silver'. The song 'Sleep Now', is a lullaby to one of his daughters, and is a lovely change from his usual, 'loud' self. Excellent album - 4.

Send comments to Tom Ozric (BETA) | Report this review (#155396) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 14, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars During his (excessively) plentiful career, Peter has used us to switch from a full VDGG line-up to the most intimate one like for "And Close As This".

I have to say that I would tend to be more attracted with the prior of those, but as soon as I hear his voice, being surrounded by the whole gang or just with a piano, the charm (almost) always operates.

The man is just so great that he conveys lots of feelings throughout his huge work. Of course, if you are not touched, the approach is more difficult. But it is worth a try.

I won't tell that this album is a jewel, a masterpiece. It is a pleasant and relaxing album to listen to. Like I do on this Saturday afternoon. Sharing my views about it with my prog friends.

Just embark one of his most intimate album so far. Let yourself go (and there's no Jean Genie behind this), listen carefully to his vibrant lyrics and just be charmed. At times, the man is getting angry and tortured as we know him so well ("Silver"), but most of the time he is amazingly soft and quiet like during the love song "Beside The One You Love".

Be warned though that this album is not for everyone. Some will be bored to death while listening to it, while others will be touched by Peter's intricate lyricism and beauty. I belong to the latter category. And it's always nice to hear Peter saying: 'I'm in good form, I'm feeling fine (Confidence).

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#172663) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 31, 2008

Review by TGM: Orb
3 stars And Close As This, Peter Hammill, 1986

StarStarStarStar

Hammill's solo career is a minefield; not that it's inconsistent in quality - at least, from the twenty-five or so discs I've got, I wouldn't consider any album bad, just that the range of styles is wide enough that, for any album after Nadir's Big Chance, you need to be ready to enjoy it for what it is, not for how it compares to The Silent Corner... or Godbluff. This particular gem, 1986's And Close As This is almost as close as Hammill gets to 'true solo' efforts - all songs created by one vocal take and one keyboard take - with the assistance only of Paul Ridout in synthesiser preparation, and it's both accessible and experimental. All the songs are, essentially, keys and voice; however, the single unedited takes of all the various songs are modified with pre-prepared sequencing. So, essentially, we have single-performance takes and more direct songwriting, which is, from Hammill, usually excellent. So, that's the concept of the album, now: how well does it work?

Well, a number of the songs, particularly the straight piano-and-voice Too Many Of My Yesterdays, as well as Empire Of Delight and Other Old Clichés turn out very well, and we do get some of Hammill's best clean vocals to make up for the lack of thick self-harmonising we're accustomed to from Hammill. On the other hand, this concept is used more to create perfumed piano pieces, to accent and augment basic tunes, only on Confidence is really going out to create a complete multi-instrument piece. However, all in all, And Close As This is an excellent album, and both an interesting and novel experiment and a set of mostly good songs, a worthwhile purchase for any listener, though admittedly those accustomed to Hammill's writing for keyboards and vocal stylings will perhaps get a bit more out of it; just a bit of trivia, Empire of Delight, one of the album's highlights, is a collaboration with Keith Emerson (who contributed the music), and so might be of interest to the more diehard ELP fans for that alone, much as it's really not in the style you'd anticipate.

The album opens with its hardest-hitting song, the piano-and-voice Too Many Of My Yesterdays. An arresting main theme, fluent decoration, daringly bare and jarring breaks, all underpinning a lush vocal, with subtle trembling embellishments, a developed voice as the song moves on and astounding guttural-ethereal dynamics. But this fantastic performance and composition is only half of the song's impact: the lyrics are well-written, striking and more importantly, they connect directly to a situation in my life - not wanting an old relationship to resurface... putting it to a final end.

I shelved my broken heart I put you from my mind I got up from my knees I picked up all the pieces But seeing you again Puts shakes into my soul Just when I think I'm finally over you Don't come and show me that's not true.

Heavy stuff, and, if Van Der Graaf Generator's philosophical poetry comes across as pretentious to you, I guess that solo songs like this one might connect with you more.

Faith is the first of the album's 'prepared' pieces, relying primarily on a sort of softened and slightly lighter piano voice to offer an appropriate voice for the soft positivity of the song as a whole (as mentioned in the liner notes, this is a rare affirmation of love from Hammill). An understated instrumental break offers us the first real fruits of the album's experimentation in the form of echoing flute or reed organish voices, and the introduction of a more acoustic-guitar or orchestral percussion vibes in some of the decorative 'piano' embellishments, as well as supporting sustained strings. After a little initial indecision and a couple of mild vocal twists that either don't really come off or don't feel very well-aimed, the additional voices and an increasingly beautiful vocal turn this into a sort of sweet one-man chamber piece. The lyrics again, are straight experience stuff, but while the insidious doubts of this supposed relationship of trust are brought to the surface quite interestingly, Hammill doesn't really manage to put his own stamp on the idea as he'd earlier done in Ferret And Featherbird or Child. Still, a nice song, and one that introduces the album's key idea very well, but this probably isn't the one you'll find yourself coming back to time and again.

Empire Of Delight, as mentioned previously, a collaboration between Emerson and Hammill, is a must-hear, and perhaps represents the most successful marriage of this innovation and a direct song performance. A spectral love story, explained by an incredible tentative/confident vocal, with a superb, slowly bringing out the haunting emotional power of this idea with, again, a real individual voice and development of mood. The soft surrealism of the setting is brought out by the very well-developed tune and a sort of soft acoustic-guitar-like voice for the piano's chords contrasted by its much more certain individual notes and some brooding organ as it reaches its peak at the speaker's disappearance. The lyrics are again a highlight, and all-in-all, this is a beautiful and fascinating understated piece.

Silver offers a more obvious use of the prepared sequences in a slightly longer centre-piece (and I'm pretty sure there's an effect on the voice); again, there's a piano at the base of it, but the rapacious lead is snatched by organ and hybrid voices, spiralling runs by this voice and the piano with its interesting conflicting voices merging into complimentary ones, assisted by a sort of cash-register percussive trill and some oddball synths. Silver is a continually active and challenging piece, both in its interweaving keyboard part and the dynamic, dramatic and mocking vocal with both aggressive highs and guttural lows (the majestic 'Argenteeee! Argent!' is a particular high. The lyrics are again direct, and consequently they don't really benefit from the crude references, but they fit the piece and the message is convincing: that unbridled robber baron greed is not the way forwards (at the time of writing, I've just read of fraudster Bernie Madoff's 150 year sentence - now, both the sentence and the crime seem ridiculous to me: no amount of money is worth 150 years).

Beside The One You Love is the second piano song, and also the second affirmational love song, of the album, and it proves a fairly attractive number on both counts. A sort of lullaby melody, a pleasantly drifting-away vocal, again showing the incredible beauty and power of Hammill's voice, even when he's not pushing it to its dramatic limits. Creeping piano flourishes add a pretty distraction to the entirely winning lyrical picture, this time with the individuality of Hammill's writing and perspective truly surfacing and at least my memory connects with it entirely. A gem.

Other Old Clichés is the second destructive love song, compiled, as you might well guess, of self-mocking assembly of inappropriate idioms and hollow phrases. The embellishments to the bitter, masochistic piano melody are rare, but inspired, and the sheer amount of ideas Hammill can convey with the mere way he sings a word is, as always, jaw-dropping. The deep anger and passion of the song suit his voice perfectly, and again, a human lyric prompts human emotions. On the arrangement side, dark strings are the most common alternative to the piano melodies, but towards the end a strange whistling synthesiser and a humming conclusion effectively add variety. Again, striking.

However, great though all these perfumed piano numbers are, the real fulfilment of the album's concept comes through the Faculty X styled epic of Confidence. Shiny synthesiser lines all over the place, much more strength given to the non-piano lines (though a sort of bouncy not-quite-piano sound is quite prominent), and we get some much more complex (at least in conception) multi-part melodies, with various synth sounds bouncing off an odd glockenspielalike sound. Later on, we even get some 'drums'. The vocals are, as on Silver, much more rough and attacking, though this time a selective echo effect is use, with extended notes and a development from a sort of mock pride to the uncertain fear and hope of the final 'we are not alone'. Lyrically, as well as compositionally, it's a daring effort, and comes off very well, with a mock-comic (in and of itself, an accomplishment) denouement a little reminiscent of Tapeworm, some punning to reinforce the general opinion of 'Confidence' as something of a fraud, and a final verse so perfectly uncertain in its character. Though I prefer other pieces from the album, this one is the example of what the mixture of preparatory sequencing and direct performance could achieve, and it's extremely successful in that respect.

Sleep Now, an endearing profession of paternal love, is opened with a gorgeous synthesiser background over which the ethereal lullaby piano and a beautiful, sentimental vocal. Some more sustained string-based backgrounds and some sort of twinkling piano-replacement synthesiser. The humanity of the lyrics again is a strength, and this soft, touching conclusion is a perfect contrast to the soul-stabbing opening and a gentle release from an intelligent and understated album. Just for the sake of completeness, an excerpt of the lyrics, and one of my favourite Hammill lines: 'Sleep now, one day I'll tell you how my life has been O so strange now, to think your eyes will fall on things that mine have never seen these eyes that gently flicker in some lost childhood dream'

And Close As This remains one of Peter Hammill's most interesting, mind-expanding efforts, with a unique concept, variety and exceptional songwriting all carried off with capable playing and a set of vocals that, as much as any of his acknowledged classics, show the sheer captivating power and the range of ideas and moods he can convey with his voice: this is, make no mistake, one of the best albums in the respect of vocals ever, with a very consistent approach both to using dynamics and creating real voices for the individual songs, developing ideas and not losing touch with the essence of the song. A challenging album to put into words, and challenging, even if at first it might not appear so, to appreciate as fully as I now can. The two lesser tracks, though neither of them terrible, Silver and Faith, keep this one from the fifth star, but, nevertheless, the remnant make And Close As This an interesting addition to any decent music collection.

Rating: Four Stars. 12/15. Favourite Track: Too Many Of My Yesterdays or Empire Of Delight, depending on mood.

Edit: dropped to three because I'm trying some slightly harsher ratings... still, a very good album... figured that maybe it was stuck on specialist appeal and there are some songs which, although nice, don't really compare to the gems, and that maybe didn't come across in the review or the original ratings.

Send comments to TGM: Orb (BETA) | Report this review (#224056) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars While you can't go wrong with any pre-1984 Hammill album, every album since needs to be approached with the utmost care. Some are good, others surprisingly weak. Most are a mix.

What you may found of And Close As This is impossible to predict. You may like it even if you don't like any other Hammill album, or you may be the most ardent Hammill fan and hate it. Actually, every time I play this I don't know whether I will end up liking or hating it.

Hammill sticks to a more modest vocal approach, leaving both his screetch and more operatic leanings in the bag. What comes out is an album with great piano songs. For the most part very beautiful and tender, with just a few weaker songs or nasty breaks.

It is a surprisingly smooth and mellow approach that is unlike any other album in the Hammill catalogue. At least till then, as Hammill would revisit this approach on some of his albums from the 90's, but nowhere near as good as here. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#253143) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This type of Peter Hammill album is my least favorite. While he is a decent musician, I find that his songs are more compelling when played by a full band. Hammill alone at a piano, or with a guitar just doesn't convey the power that this songwriting demands.

Here, his songwriting is good, but as I stated above, his low key piano and synth playing keep the songs too soft and sometimes drab for my tastes. At times, as in Too Many Of My Yesterdays and Silver, I find myself imagining in the rest of a band, adding the oomph that these songs are crying out for.

All of this is underscored by Beside The One You Love, a song so mellow, it almost lulls you to sleep. That's not what I turn to Hammill to provide. And Confidence is sung so boldly, that the piano backup just doesn't fit with the vocals. Hammill must see that, as tries to fill the song in with some effects, but it's too little too late, and ultimately fails.

But don't forget, this is a Peter Hammill album, so there is still much to like about his songs and delivery. So I cannot rate it less than three stars.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#470072) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 26, 2011

5 stars I cannot continue to ignore the fact that I return to this album more than many of his other titles. He has so many albums to choose from, and no one should ignore his 80s output since there are some gems along with his immaculate 70s. "And Close as This" is a stripped down close up and personal p ... (read more)

Report this review (#997426) | Posted by javajeff | Saturday, July 13, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Not one of Hammill's best known albums and not mentioned among his greats usually either, but a real "hidden gem" if you like. In fact I have recently rediscovered this cd lying at the back of a cupboard having forgotten about it for five or six years, and it was a pleasure to find that it is mu ... (read more)

Report this review (#138237) | Posted by Gog/Magog | Friday, September 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I do not understand why I have been having problems to submit this review all the time. Perhaps, it is because this is a Cinderella album. I mean it is absolutely not known (even in the frame of PH) and still it is beutiful. It involves all the sides of the PH expressive music from the agressi ... (read more)

Report this review (#18102) | Posted by | Saturday, October 16, 2004 | Review Permanlink

3 stars In an effort to keep things as simplified as possible, Hammill only uses a piano/synthesizer on this album, and, of course, his voice. Hardly to be called rock at all, this album nonetheless posesses some of that typical "progressive" complexity and all of Hammil's artistry that truly shines, ... (read more)

Report this review (#18100) | Posted by | Thursday, May 27, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PETER HAMMILL "And Close as This"