AFTERWARDS / NECROMANCER

- Guy Evans / drums, percussion
- Peter Hammill / lead vocals, acoustic guitar
- Jeff Peach / flute

Mercury 72979, US

Thanks to mogorva for the addition

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Afterwards / Necromancer Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Pawn HeartsPawn Hearts
GodbluffGodbluff
Remastered
Caroline 2005
TrisectorTrisector
Caroline 2008
Merlin Atmos: Live Performances 2013 2CD Digipack Limited EditionMerlin Atmos: Live Performances 2013 2CD Digipack Limited Edition
Limited Edition
CD alt ~ USD $15.01
LP h to he, who am i the only one ~ USD $22.21
LP the least we can do is wave each other ~ USD $24.69
LP visions ~ USD $22.58

More places to buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR music online Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Afterwards / Necromancer ratings distribution

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Afterwards / Necromancer reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars No reviews for this delicious single? So I have to write one.

VDGG's debut Aerosol Grey Machine (which originally started life as a Peter Hammill solo album) shows this magnificent band pretty unmatured and it lacks the emotional and stylistic depth they found shortly afterwards (after adding the unique sax/flute player David Jackson). It's a bit similar case as the GENESIS debut: both are rather naive and unpresentable of what was to come, but not without charm. These two songs are in my opinion the highlights.

'Afterwards' is a soft and melodic song with a laid back tempo. Hammill's tender vocals do an excellent job here, and the playing has an ethereal psychedelic flavour, starring Hugh Banton's organ and piano. The lyrics are not very easy to figure out what's it about, for example what metaphorical meaning the petals of a flower have? A beautiful song no matter how you look at it, I think.

'Necromancer' comes close to the dark, mystic style that VDGG was heading at, even if it remains less epic in structure (in its 3½ minutes). Just by adding some sax it would fit perfectly amidst songs like 'Darkness' and 'Killer' on the next albums. I remember how I was introduced to VDGG by a Finnish radio series about prog (titled Kuun pimeä puoli) when I was probably 18. The programme dedicated to VDGG was broadcast during my holiday travel to Greece but I asked my mom to tape it. It was indeed the right thing to do! 'Necromancer' was among the songs in that programme that immediately raised a deep interest towards this band.

As I have said before, a single can get five stars from me only by including great songs outside of albums. But four solid stars for this one, definitely.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#1015164) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 09, 2013

Post a review of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR "Afterwards / Necromancer"