DETTA HAR HÄNT

progressive rock music

Buy GÖSTA BERLINGS SAGA Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. Kontrast (3:57)
2. Sorterargatan 3 (9:48)
3. Svenska Hjärtan (3:01)
4. Fem Trappor (6:32)
5. Nattkift (5:00)
6. Berslagen (10:29)
7. Innilegur? (2:51)
8. Västarbron 05:30 (11:33)

Search GÖSTA BERLINGS SAGA Detta Har Hänt lyrics

Search GÖSTA BERLINGS SAGA Detta Har Hänt tabs

- Gabriel Hermansson / bass
- Einar Baldursson / guitars
- David Lundberg / keyboards
- Alexander Skepp / drums, percussion

CD Transsubstans TRANS047 (2009 SWE)

Thanks to Rivertree for the addition

GÖSTA BERLINGS SAGA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GÖSTA BERLINGS SAGA Detta Har Hänt Music

More places to buy GÖSTA BERLINGS SAGA music online Buy GÖSTA BERLINGS SAGA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GÖSTA BERLINGS SAGA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GÖSTA BERLINGS SAGA Detta Har Hänt ratings distribution

GÖSTA BERLINGS SAGA Detta Har Hänt reviews

Review by avestin
4 stars I was tired that day, annoyed at everything that didn't work. A long period of frustration this has been and few things have managed to comfort me. Staying late at work, I put on my headphones and started to scroll through my music player to see what can I possibly listen to. I then stopped at Gosta Berlings Saga. I had just gotten their new album a week before and have only listened to it once and did not remember it well enough. So I decided to play it again, thinking to myself that it might help me engage my brain for the tasks ahead.

I was wrong.

Not wrong about engaging my mind, but wrong about being productive.

Wrong, because for some reason, the moment I put the music on, I was hooked.

Wrong because I did not devote another minute of my time that night for work anymore and only concentrated on the music.

I have since listened to it many times, and it is still as captivating and magical as it was the first time, only now with the advantage of knowing the pieces. So it was not just my special mood that night that has permitted my impressionable mind to be that affected by this album. This is genuine love of this album.

What is it that has such a spell on me in their music? Is it the richness of sound? Is it the wonderful musicianship? Is it the beautiful melodies? Is it the wonderful way they develop their themes? Is it their way to make instrumental music that seem to not require words? Could it be their mingling of elements and styles into a sound of their own? Their crafting of a varied, dynamic and flowing album that sounds subdued and mellow one minute and then fiery and fierce the next?

Before answering these,

Listen to the bass lines such as those that hook you like a fish on a hook in Sorterargatan 3; to the magnificent drum work in each song that hit you at times softly and at others hammer you to your place; to the wonderful keyboards work (and there are plenty of keyboards used here, it's a real heaven) that like a magic wand, adds marvelous majestic streaks of beauty and bliss; to the guitar work that shift between a raunchy sound to a delicate sweep of fingers. This album, aside from the music on it, is a delight to listen to in this aspect. But then, without gripping music, it would end just there. And here I find myself at odds to describe it: there are elements of fusion as well as occasional use of electronic effects; there are pieces which have repetitive instrumental patterns, developed with added layers of instrumentation and additional musical lines, epic in nature. The pieces differ in quite a lot in rhythm and style even, yet there is a binding spirit to them all, a unifying character. It is hard for me to translate the music and its magic to words here, but I can say this is progressive rock that runs through several emotional fields and manages to use its influences as a stepping board and not as a leaning board. Go listen to them on their website and myspace, at least give it a try. A truly wonderful album! A gem that I personally cherish and highly recommend.

Send comments to avestin (BETA) | Report this review (#253205) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009

Review by Windhawk
5 stars Brilliant sophomore effort by this Swedish act.

If vintage-inspired, quirky instrumental progressive rock with a few contempary musical spices is a flavour of music you like, this album should be pretty high on a list of purchases to be made.

Drums and bass are perhaps the main driving force of this outfit, providing laid-back jazz-tinged foundations with ease, but truly excelling when in more energetic mode, the latter the dominant mode of expression. Those familiar with Christian Vander of Magma should feel right at home with the stickwork here.

Guitars and keys have more of a Gentle Giant spirit to them, delivering quirky and evolving textures with a great deal of variation. But there's also some Crimsonian tendencies added to the mix, with occasional visitis to disharmonic and dissonant territories with more of a Frippian touch to them.

All in all a great production for most anyone with an interest in challenging, instrumental progressive rock. Highly recommended.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#259477) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 05, 2010

5 stars Well I cannot agree more with both Avestin (Assaf) and Windhawk (Olav) about this latest offering from GOSTA BERLINGS SAGA. In my opinion this is a huge improvement over the debut. There are two significant changes on this album when compared to their debut. First we get a new guitarist who's not only more prominant but more accomplished, and second and probably more importantly Mattias Olsson (ANGLAGARD) is involved doing the overdubs, tape loops, various ideas and additional effects. This sounds amazing !

"Kontrast" opens with guitar and keys as drums and bass join in. It gets intense before settling down around 1 1/2 minutes. It's building again. The guitar is incredible here. This is fantastic ! "Sorterargatan 3" is dark to start as guitar and bass slowly start to play. Piano joins in. A fuller sound after 2 minutes. Drums follow. Great sound 3 minutes in followed by some angular guitar. Not worthy ! Mellotron rolls in a minute later. How good is this? The drumming sounds so good. More mellotron follows then synths come in. What a song ! "Svenska Hjartan" is a somewhat haunting track with lots of keys. Listen to the sound effects here. I love the way it ends. "Fem Trappor" is experimental as sounds build. Drums before 1 1/2 minutes as guitar and keys join in. This sounds so good. I know i'm a broken record here but...

"Nattskift" opens with keys. Drums and guitar before 1 1/2 minutes. Why is this so moving and emotional ? It kicks in before 3 1/2 minutes for the big finish. "Bergslagen" opens with guitar as a full sound joins in quickly. I like how dark and heavy this is. A change after 3 minutes to a more uptempo sound. It settles 4 minutes in. Great sound here. It settles again after 6 minutes. Kicks back in at 8 minutes reminding me of ANGLAGARD. Amazing tune. "Innileghur?" is a short acoustic track that builds. Very cool. "Vasterbron 05:30" opens with some feedback as a beat comes in. Piano joins in too. I like the guitar before 4 1/2 minutes as he starts to light it up for a couple of minues. Nice. Piano then takes the lead but the guitar can still be heard. Mellotron 8 1/2 minutes in. It turns experimental before 10 minutes and the wind is blowing.

I hope i'm not too late but this is a top five for me for 2009. A must !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#266474) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010

Review by TheGazzardian
4 stars Given how long this album has been out, it has received remarkably little attention here, especially considering the glowing reviews that have already been written for it! I add my voice to this group in the hopes that it will cause others to stand up and take notice of this excellent band hailing from Sweden, a country that is, admittedly, better known for it's symphonic/retro prog bands and metal, and less for it's more experimental instrumental music.

With their second album, Detta Har Hant (which translates to "This Has Happened"), Gosta Berlings Saga have created something great, and one of the better albums to come out it's year of release.

The music of this band is built using the typical rock lineup of guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, but the band couldn't sound further from typical rock. What we are treated to hear are greatly textured soundscapes, built with textured layered guitars, lively bass, and marching drumbeats.

Some of the songs take a different turn; for example, Svenska Hjartan is a more chilled out piece that relies more on the keys than the layered guitar attack that much of the rest of the album uses.

The music on this album is incredibly strong, and I'd be hard pressed to name a single track that I didn't like. It does take several listens to penetrate all the details of the album, but once you do, these songs will stick with you and demand that you return to them many times. The songs weave through intricate sound patterns effortlessly, leaving you constantly guessing what will come next, yet never feeling like it is forced.

I must admit that most of my favorite moments on this album are the more upbeat tracks, such as the opener Kontrast (Contrast), Fem Trappor (Five Stairs), etc., but I have a soft spot for the build up in some of their more laid back tracks, such as Nattskift (Night Shift), which builds from a soft keyboard part before the guitar comes in. These tracks also show a different side to the drummer, who tends strays further from the marching-like drumming he does on the more upbeat tracks.

Overall, Detta Har Hant is an excellent release that deserves a lot of attention, especially from those who enjoy adventurous instrumental music.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#293029) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 01, 2010

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars After an extremely promising debut Gösta Berlings Saga released some three years later this much-awaited for Detta Har Händt. First small deception: the much less charming artwork of this sophomore album, based onto construction shots, which quite a departure to the particularly charming debut digipak package. The group also saw a change of guitarist, Baldur's son stepping in for Daniel's son (too easy, but too hard to resist ;o))). The first impression, once the disc popped inside you deck, is that you'll have no problems to recognize the instrumental world GBS had installed with their debut. Lundberg's keyboard array hasgrown impressively, even if they're considered additional instrument and lmainly quoted on the Rhodes.

I can't help but thinking of the early Anekdoten (Vemod + Nucleus) upon a few occasions on this album, mainly the guitar and mellotron layers, but also at Crimson ('the opening succession of chords on Bergslagen. Sometimes the electronic noises are intriguing almost ambient, like at the start and throughout Svenska Hjärtan; whereas they're announcing a deeply involved frenzy in Tem Trappar. The little flaw detected on the debut, overstaying inside the same groove without foraying around it, is actually increased as we find long moments (such as the closing Vasterbron) where the heroic wails and dramatic weeps from the guitar flatters shamelessly your eardrums with much talent, but might be more concise in its propos. Nevertheless, even an old dog such as me will allow himself to fall into a well-dressed up trap, such as this one.

A bit less brilliant than its predecessor, DHH is maybe more adventurous, but in the greater scheme of prog things, they're both fairly sonically similar, even if I'd advise to start with the debut and move to this one after. In either case, while certainly not groundbreaking (what is still so, in this end of the 00's decade?), GBS offers some orgasmic moments, even though it might have a little too much déjà-vu feel and may sound a tad formulaic, in regards to the Scandic retro-prog plethora.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#306084) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 22, 2010

4 stars A good album of interesting, creative, and subtlely complex songs. A lot of variety here, too. What lacks is melody and sometimes 'meaningful development'--meaning that the songs don't always unfold in pleasing or 'sensible' ways. 1. Kontrast (7/10) is a slow developing, very symphonically co ... (read more)

Report this review (#658294) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Tuesday, March 13, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GÖSTA BERLINGS SAGA "Detta Har Hänt"