SONIX

Peter Hammill Sonix album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy PETER HAMMILL Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Emmene-moi Bare Theme (2:29)
2. A Walk In The Dark (1:55)
3. In The Polish House (4:49)
4. Dark Matter (6:58)
5. Hospital Silence (2:34)
6. Four To The Floor (9:36)
7. Exercise For Louis (2:49)
8. Labyrinthine Dreams (26:25)
9. Emmene-moi Full Theme (2:29)

Search PETER HAMMILL Sonix lyrics

Search PETER HAMMILL Sonix tabs

- Peter Hammill / almost everything

Except:
- Stuart Gordon / violin and viola on (1,2,5 and 9)
- Manny Elias / percussion (6)

Fie! 9114

PETER HAMMILL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PETER HAMMILL Sonix Music

SonixSonix
Fie 2000

More places to buy PETER HAMMILL music online Buy PETER HAMMILL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PETER HAMMILL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PETER HAMMILL Sonix ratings distribution

PETER HAMMILL Sonix reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars This album is quite a weird experience.

A minimalist effort of the great man. And I have to say that it is rather difficult to listen to it in one session only. It is absolutely in line with "Loops & Reels" which couldn't really move me (to say the least).

This album is a collection of some experimental music recorded by Peter in the last couple of years (at the time of release). If you have read some of my reviews, you know already that this type of work doesn't speak to me. Being Hammill (for whom I have the greatest respect since I appreciate his work since 1973 with the Graaf) or anyone else.

So, basically, this "album" is a long and dull journey into some musical experience which is mostly unbearable: "Dark Matter" being one of the climax (!). But it's not a solitary item. There are plenty of these intellectual masturbation moments here. You name them.

I guess that several Hammill fans were reluctant to review this album and preferred to remain silent about it. I decided to share my opinion and it is quite abrupt: it is extremely boring all the way through, the experience lasting for almost sixty minutes!

IMHHO, there is not a single track which is worth a penny, this is pure "avant-garde" and minimalist stuff. Actually, the epic of this album (lasting for over twenty-six minutes) is just a little more listenable. Fine piano to start, but after five minutes or so, it is just so repetitive, emotionless...One of the very few passionate passages is the one during which Peter deigned to sing. Five minutes or so amongst these twenty-six from Labyrinthine Dreams.

Only one rating is possible for this almost instrumental album which is the last straw for such a great lyricist. Unfortunately: one star only.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#180650) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 23, 2008

4 stars I've been listening to Peter Hammill's compositions for some 30 years now. I've always found them to be fascinating and extremely well made. Sonix is a very interesting mainly instrumental work. Thank you, Peter, for sharing with us your unwavering love for your music. Thank you for continuing ... (read more)

Report this review (#61905) | Posted by | Tuesday, December 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PETER HAMMILL "Sonix"