ARTIFICIAL JOY

Buy TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. Work (4:41)
2. Artificial Joy (4:25)
3. Days Run Like Horses (7:02)
4. Atmosafear (7:04)

- Jakob Mygind / saxophones
- Carsten Sindvald / clarinet, saxophones
- Finn Olafsson / guitars
- Michael Denner / guitars
- Robin Taylor / keyboards, guitars, percussion etc.
- Flemming Muus Tranberg / bass
- Klaus Thrane / drums
- Louise Nipper / voice (tracks 4, 5)

Marvel of Beauty Records - MOBCD 020

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE Artificial Joy Music

Artificial JoyArtificial Joy
CD Baby 2010

More places to buy TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE music online Buy TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE Artificial Joy ratings distribution

TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE Artificial Joy reviews

Review by Windhawk
4 stars "Artificial Joy" is the second album issued in 2009 by Taylor's Universe, a band now really finding it's footing again following long time associate Karsten Vogel's extensive run with the band.

On this album Taylor and his collaborators take on a subtly more symphonic-tinged approach than on the last few albums, as well as incorporating some of the more challenging features from Taylor's solo works on a few occasions - unless my ears decieves me there's quite a few nods in the direction of one album in particular of those, namely November.

As always there's a few stellar tracks around, personally I found the brooding synths come symphonic with noisescapes inserted workout Days Run Like Horses to be the most intriguing of these, while energetic, quirky opener Work and the multi-segmented, brooding composition named Laughter are at about the same level of interest. The only number that didn't really trigger my interest was Atmosfear actually, a multi-segmented affair that became just a tad too segmented for these ears.

Still, all in all it's yet another high quality effort courtesy of Taylor & Friends, to be sought out by fans of highly melodic yet challenging instrumental progressive rock residing somewhere within the borderlines of jazzrock, art rock and symphonic prog.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#256703) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 18, 2009

3 stars This 2009 TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE release is one of his more melodic and tamer albums that they've put out i'd say. That avant flavour is all but gone here. I didn't notice until after I wrote this review down on paper that it mentions in the liner notes that Robin used mellotron on it so i'll have to re-listen. Funny that he also mentions that he uses a variety of synthesizers, funny because on albums past he has noted "No synthesizers !". Times change right ? I would consider this as being in the Jazz / Fusion realm for the most part. It's weird but I like all the odd numbered songs the best.

"Work" sounds great early on with piano then it picks up before a minute before settling back again. Horns 2 minutes in and guitar after 3 minutes. "Artificial Joy" is one where the rhythm doesn't do a lot for me but when it kicks in with horns, keys and guitar i'm smiling. "Days Run Like Horses" opens with some atmosphere then drums and horns start to lead before 3 minutes. A calm 4 1/2 minutes in then it kicks back in after 5 1/2 minutes. Nice. "Atmosfear" opens with drums, organ, horns then guitar. It settles with bass and percussion just before 2 minutes. It kicks back in at 4 minutes with the guitar leading then horns 5 1/2 minutes in.

"Laughter" is a good one. It's melancholic with organ to start then we get horns before a minute. It kicks in with a full sound 2 minutes in. Female spoken words tell us a story. Funny stuff. Lots of laughter too. I like the calm 4 minutes in and some nice guitar before 6 1/2 minutes. "Telephone" has this beeping sound to start then the music kicks in with the horns playing over top. Keys 2 1/2 minutes in then the horns are back and more beeping sounds. Guitar lights it up 4 minutes in. "Fame" sounds great as the horns join in. The guitar replaces the horns. Nice. Horns are back and the guitar sounds really good before 4 minutes then the horns take over once again. An eerie atmosphere 5 minutes in as we get a very cool ending to this album.

I like "Return To Whatever" a little better and that one is a low 4 stars for me. So 3.5 stars it is. Both were released the same year but hey you can't go wrong with a TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE release.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#572463) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 21, 2011

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Artificial joy was taylor's Universe second album from 2009 and is another worthy album from his catalogue. Keeping almost same attitude like on Soundwall, but with some diffrent line up. Denner remaining to make aswell some excellent guitar parts on this album, but having a second guitarist from famosus danish prog band from the '70 Ache - Finn Olafsson and aswell aanother keybordist besides Robin. This album starts very well with Artificial Joy, very strong tune, maybe the best from here together with Atmosfear and a very intresting one Telephone. Solid musicianship again, intresting ideas overall, but it seams to me that in some parts he repet himself , I mean Robin, because he compose all the music, nothing is bad here but to same arrangements. Anyway, I like what I've heared here, the guitars, horns,keyboards and the voice of Louise Nipper on Laugheter, but it doesn't reach the beauty of Soundwall who really was a wall of sound of the highest calibre. I like aswell the cover art. 3 rounded to 3.5 in some places.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#847437) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 31, 2012

4 stars This is an album of high quality music ,not at all a comercial one and it's offering some serious moments of pure enchantment in terms of innovative rhythms,ideas and musical soundscapes exposed!Robin Taylor is an extremelly talented musician with a wide range of expression and a totally diffe ... (read more)

Report this review (#273764) | Posted by Ovidiu | Tuesday, March 23, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE "Artificial Joy"