WHAT , NOW?

Peter Hammill What , Now?  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy PETER HAMMILL Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. Here Come The Talkies (9:41)
2. Far-flung (across The Sky) (3:21)
3. The American Girl (3:06)
4. Wendy & The Lost Boy (3:26)
5. Lunatic In Knots (8:04)
6. Edge Of The Road (10:03)
7. Fed To The Wolves (6:22)
8. Enough (4:53)

Search PETER HAMMILL What , Now? lyrics

Search PETER HAMMILL What , Now? tabs

- Peter Hammill / everything except
- Stuart Gordon / violin, viola on 1, 3, 5, 7
- David Jackson / saxophones, flute and whistles on 3, 6
- Manny Elias / drums on 1, 5, 6, 7

2001 CD Fie 29123

PETER HAMMILL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PETER HAMMILL What , Now? Music

What NowWhat Now
Single · Import
Import [Generic] 2001
Now 89 Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 89 (2014) USD $16.44 [11 bids]
Various Artist - Now 52: That's What I Call Music [CD New] USD $11.88 Buy It Now 26 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 33/36/37/38 CDS USD $1.96 [3 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 50/51/52/53 CDS USD $1.55 [1 bids]
'NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DISNEY' (Includes Xmas Disc) 4 CD SET (2014) USD $20.34 Buy It Now 23 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 54/55/56/58 CDS USD $2.19 [3 bids]
Now That's What I Call Christmas [2014] NEW + SEALED*Elvis / Abba/Cliff Richard USD $14.88 [5 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.51 2014 CD New Sealed USD $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC 10 with foam inlays USD $19.58 [2 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS 2013 3 x CD *NEAR MINT* ABBA/WHAM/S USD $12.53 [9 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.52 (CD 2014) John Ryan Brand New USD $8.49 Buy It Now 3 days
NOW THAT''S WHAT I CALL XMAS 2006 3 x CD ELTON JOHN ,THE WAITRESSES, ABBA USD $10.18 [9 bids]
NOW THAT''S WHAT I CALL XMAS 2010 3 x CD nm JOHN LENNON / BEACH BOYS / WIZZARD USD $6.58 [5 bids]
NOW, Vol. 52 [US] by Various Artists (CD, 2014, Now That's What I Call Music) USD $8.55 Buy It Now 17 days
Now That's What I Call Xmas 3cd Frankie Band Aid Squeeze Abba USD $4.68 [0 bids]
Now Thats What I Call A Million Cd Brand New USD $14.42 [7 bids]
'NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 89' 2 CD SET (2014) USD $21.85 Buy It Now 23 days
now that's what i call music 89 USD $14.50 [6 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS 2012 3 x CD *NEAR MINT* WIZZARD/MUD/COLDPLAY USD $10.96 [18 bids]
Now, Vol. 32 by Now That's What I Call Music USD $4.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Now That's What I Call Christmas! Elvis Presley Celine Dion Paul McCartney 2 CDs USD $0.99 [1 bids]
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 89 (2014) USD $12.53 [3 bids]
Now 31: That's What I Call Music USD $5.38 Buy It Now 21 days
*NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC LOT* (5,6,15,16,17) USD $10.50 [5 bids]
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC 89 CD USD $16.08 [4 bids]
What Do I Eat Now? : A Step-by-Step Guide to Eating Right with Type 2 Diabetes b USD $6.51 [12 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music Vol.50 2014 CD New Sealed USD $8.39 Buy It Now 20 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 3 : DOUBLE L.P FROM 1984 : QUEEN/OMD/FGTH/ULTRAVOX USD $4.62 [0 bids]
Various - Now That's What I Call Music 89 (CD) USD $11.95 [9 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 20, Various Artists, Good USD $1.00 Buy It Now 28 days
Now That's What I Call Xmas USD $4.68 [0 bids]
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC 57 CD USD $1.17 [0 bids]
NOW That's What I Call Music! 30 USD $4.19 Buy It Now 2 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC, VOL. 48 [TARGET-EXCLUSIVE 2 CD SET, 2013] - NEW! USD $2.25 [2 bids]
NOW - That's What I Call Music! CD Vol. 4 by Various Artists * DISC is MINT !!! USD $1.49 [0 bids]
Now 36 That's What I Call Music USD $5.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Now Thats What I Call Club Hits 2014 Brand New And Sealed USD $1.55 [0 bids]
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 88 (2014) USD $11.75 [5 bids]
What About Now [Deluxe Edition] USD $6.39 Buy It Now 25 days
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music Vol.23 USD $3.12 [1 bids]
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music Vol.24 USD $3.12 [0 bids]
WHAT DO I EAT NOW? - TAMI A. ROSS PATRICIA GEIL (PAPERBACK) NEW USD $14.34 Buy It Now 7 days
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music Vol.26 (1993) USD $3.12 [0 bids]
Now that's what i call music 80 cd 2011 USD $1.88 [3 bids]
Now 52: That's What I Call Music / Various CD USD $9.51 Buy It Now 27 days
Now That's What I Call The 90's USD $15.66 [5 bids]
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Disney (2013) USD $7.83 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Today's Christmas Various Artists CD USD $4.50 Buy It Now 26 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL COUNTRY BALLADS VOL 2 * CD Brand NEW opened USD $5.99 [0 bids]
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC 22 CD USD $1.55 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Christmas!, Vol. 4 by Various Artists (CD, Sep-2011, 2... USD $0.60 [7 bids]
NOW That's What I Call Music! 30, Now That's What I Call Music, Good USD $1.00 Buy It Now 28 days
NOW That's What I Call Music! 88 Various Artists - 2 CDS...NEW... USD $12.14 [9 bids]
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music Vol.72 (2009) USD $1.63 [2 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music 80 (2011) USD $3.12 Buy It Now 8 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DISNEY, Vol. 3 [CD, 2014] - NEW! - 20 classic Disney hits USD $9.88 [1 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS 2012 3 x CD *NEAR MINT* WIZZARD/MUD/COLDPLAY USD $10.18 [6 bids]
Now 48: That's What I Call Music, Now That's What I Call Music, New USD $4.80 Buy It Now 27 days
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Disney (2012 )4/C/D SET USD $5.00 [2 bids]
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 89 (2014) USD $14.09 [3 bids]
Various -Now That s What I Call Rock 3CD USD $12.53 Buy It Now 7 days
'Now Thats What I Call Music 89' CD BRAND NEW USD $15.68 [5 bids]
'Now Thats What I Call Music 89' CD BRAND NEW USD $14.88 [14 bids]
NOW THATS THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSC 89 CD 2014 [NEW & SEALED !!!] USD $19.97 Buy It Now 28 days
Now That's What I Call Music! 89 2014 CD Album USD $12.53 [9 bids]
'Now Thats What I Call Music 89' CD BRAND NEW USD $14.88 [14 bids]
Now 45: That's What I Call Music, Various Artists, Good USD $5.18 Buy It Now 27 days
SHIRLEY BASSEY " WHAT NOW MY LOVE " 1962 COLUMBIA 45 USD $0.78 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Xmas 3cd USD $4.68 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 88 by Various Artists (CD, Jul-2014, 2 Discs,... USD $10.50 Buy It Now 8 days
DEEP PURPLE - Now What?! Live Tapes, JAPAN MINI LP SHM 2 CD w/OBI, VICP-70192~3 USD $31.24 [0 bids]
NOW THAT''S WHAT I CALL XMAS 2008 3 x CD ELTON JOHN ,THE WAITRESSES, ABBA USD $8.61 [13 bids]
Various Artists : Now, Thats What I Call Music! 4 CD (2000) USD $4.34 Buy It Now 26 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS (2013 3 CD SET) 63 TRKS 1p!!!! USD $8.61 [10 bids]
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call a Million (2014) USD $14.88 [6 bids]
World War I Double Sided Poster What did you do in the Great War / Enlist Now! USD $0.02 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music Vol.52 2014 CD Enrique Iglesias Nicki Minaj Sealed USD $8.39 Buy It Now 9 days
1 CENT CD V/A Now That's What I Call Motown! OLDIES/MIRACLES/MARVIN GAYE/TEMPTS USD $1.25 [3 bids]
1 CENT CD Now, That's What I Call Music! Vol. 52 MEGHAN TRAINOR/NICKI MINAJ/IGGY USD $4.80 [10 bids]
Now That's What I Call Christmas, Various Artists, New Import USD $9.61 Buy It Now 27 days
1 CENT CD Now, That's What I call Music! Vol. 14 BEYONCE/R. KELLY/TIMBERLAKE/MYA USD $0.06 [2 bids]
1 CENT CD Now, That's What I Call Music! Vol. 30 LADY GAGA/RIHANNA/PINK/KANYE W. USD $0.01 [1 bids]
What You Need to Know NOW by Ric Edelman - Softcover USD $9.99 Buy It Now 23 days
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL XMAS (2010) 3-CD: CHRISTMAS FAT CASE NR MINT USD $1.55 [1 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS (2013 3 CD SET) *DISC 1 DAMAGED* 1p USD $0.39 [5 bids]
Now That's What I Call Christmas (CD 2 disc set!) SEALED Beach Boys-John Lennon USD $7.99 Buy It Now 28 days
NOW THAT''S WHAT I CALL XMAS 2006 3 x CD ELTON JOHN ,THE WAITRESSES, ABBA USD $5.03 [5 bids]
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC THE CHRISTMAS ALBUM ALL EX CONDITION USD $3.12 [1 bids]
READING GLASSES W/ LED LIGHTS..NOW IN 3 COLORS..AMAZING WHAT U CAN DO WITH THESE USD $10.00 Buy It Now 24 days
Now That's What I Call Christmas [2014] NEW + SEALED*Elvis / Abba/Cliff Richard USD $13.30 [5 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music 89 NOW 89 Cd Played Once USD $15.66 [7 bids]
NOW LEGENDS CD NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL LEGENDS: 2CD ALBUM SET (2014) USD $11.37 [5 bids]
RARE DOUBLE CD NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUISC 1999 MILLENNIUM SERIES MINT 36 TRKS USD $7.81 [2 bids]
V.A. / Now That's What I Call Music NOW 2LP AM0141 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - Now what?! (+1) Ltd 1st Edition HARD ROCK CD+DVD/Digipak/like NEW USD $3.99 [0 bids]
Now Thats What I Call Music Cd Bundle 70 71 72 73 74 75 USD $20.36 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music CD Bundle 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 USD $20.36 [1 bids]

More places to buy PETER HAMMILL music online Buy PETER HAMMILL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PETER HAMMILL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PETER HAMMILL What , Now? ratings distribution

PETER HAMMILL What , Now? reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars There is little doubt that Peter IS a major personality of progressive rock music. Still, his most reviewed album so far only reached sixty three hits (of which 44 without comment).

This album is quite a good return to a more rocking character; which is quite alright with me. The structure of the band that is supporting Peter in this effort has not the full power of the "Graaf" but part of gang (Gordon and Jackson) is there and provides a great feeling overall.

The huge and so emotional "Here Comes The Talkies" is such an exceptional return to the early roots. Peter is as brilliant as he can be. There was quite a time that he didn't provide such a great song. His whole world is here: passion, complexity yet more accessible than average (but what is average in terms of Hammill albums?).

"What, Now?" is no bigger in terms of reviews on PA (only four so far). Come on guys! Peter is one of the people who made this all possible. Only four comments for this album is rather an insult o the artist.

Even if each song is no masterpiece, most are quite decent (I admit though that the trio after the great "Here Comes The Talkies" is not really thrilling) and there are some jewels as well.

The second of these ones is by no doubt "Lunatic In Knots". This is a brilliant song, full of the Graaf grandeur and feeling. It is of course needless to stress that Peter adds so much vocal maestria to this track. A rather dark mood combined to the great violin play from Stuart are excellent ingredients: they are just holding this song to another level. It is very fine musical moment indeed and the second highlight of this record.

The epic Edge Of The Road is a song which will transport you in several atmospheres, but most of this song is quiet. Tranquil. As Hammill can get. No real surprise to be honest. It is just that one is expecting probably too much when looking at the lenght of a song. Still, this is the third outstanding track of this album which is quite frankly a very good surprise. One has to acknowledge the excellent but discreet job of Jackson on the sax to feel all the excitement of this very good number.

This album is more opened to the casual fan; it should please more people than usual. At least I feel so and I can only recommend you to listen to this album. Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#182810) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 18, 2008

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars With the turn of the millennium, Hammill finally crawled out of the creative dip that had befallen him since 1984. While he had still penned the occasional good song and even a few decent albums, nothing was as consistent and gripping as his 2001 release What Now?. At certain moments, it is almost as if this album announces the imminent VDGG reunion.

Here Come the Talkies starts off like the many other good ballad he had done in the years before, but halfway in, it gradually changes into a frenzied nerve attack like we hadn't enjoyed since his last great album Patience. Sharp processed guitars, sound effects and unsettling rhythms turn this into a great progressive piece that would not misfit on VDGG's Present. The songs ends with a short reprise of the opening ballad section.

Next on are three short and sweet songs that have more inspiration and variation then on any of the preceding Hammill albums. Especially Far-Flung is most captivating with its excellent guitar picking. It's a hint of what he would do on the ensuing masterpiece Clutch.

Lunatic In Knots is a longer piece that ends somewhere halfway between Hammill's reflective moods and the more brooding tendencies of VDGG's Still Life. By the end it picks up some speed but the rather straightforward 4/4 beat doesn't really do it justice. As on most of the preceding Hammill albums, I can't say I'm very impressed by the unimaginative drumming of Manny Elias.

The ten minute long Edge of the Road isn't a progressive track (if you would have hoped for that) but a good extended ballad with an interesting textured sound. Again, apart from the substandard percussion, it's a good piece.

With two more tracks to go, this album could still toss either to the 3 stars or to the 4 stars side. While both Fed To The Wolves and Enough are good tracks, they aren't any better then just good.

The next album Clutch was recorded without percussion. Hammill would return to the idiom of Chameleon In The Shadow of the Night and deliver one of his best albums in a long long while. What Now? can't claim similar excellence but its nevertheless a very consistent album. 3 solid stars.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#253779) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Peter Hammill's "What, Now?" is a softer album for the visionary of Van der Graaf Generator. It contains some mesmirising beauty such as the lovely 'Far-flung (across The Sky)' with Hammill gentler than one may have heard him. There are true moments of heart felt poetic splendour such as on Wendy & The Lost Boy; "Sometimes the boy denies the man, sometimes the boy defies the man, flying in the shade of Peter Pan, Wendy, maybe you still remember this, a touch a kiss, that lasts forever, but time and tide runs in conspiracy, Wendy, I still believe the promise is the boy 's alive, the boy is in the man!"

Apart from the emphasis on tranquil ambience, there is a fair share of heavier songs such as the awesome 'Here Come The Talkies' clocking almost 10 minutes and featuring Hammill's angular guitar riff. He is more aggressive on this and it is definitely one of the better tracks of his solo career. At about 7 minutes in the song settles into a relaxing piano and serene vocals as a stark contrast.

It is nice to hear David Jackson's saxophones and flute on 'The American Girl' and 'Edge of the Road'. This latter song has a beautiful intro with the sax following along slide guitar and Hammill's thought provoking vocals. There is a dreamy atmosphere on this 10 minute track that has a calming effect. The lyrics are compelling; "someday he'll make his way home, will the man of the moment finally make himself known, and lay down his load, at the edge of the road." At 5: 40 the song becomes entrancing with a flute solo and chinking percussion, as a low drone intensifies creating an ominous atmosphere. Jackson's sax is tantalising, he is so welcome on these solo albums, adding more depth and emotion. This song is definitely one of the highlights of "What, Now?"

At times Hammill regresses to the darker textures that he seems to revel in on every solo album, in this case the darkest track is the boisterous creepy 'Fed To The Wolves'. Stuart Gordon's violins screech very eerie tones as Hammill unleashes guitar crashes to generate an ethereal soundscape. It goes on a bit too long without enough variation but still holds interest for the most part.

'Enough' is also darker with some eerie music and a low chanting male choir. Hammill lapses into his reflective mode thinking about life and death, "not that, but this, not why, but how, not if, but when, not soon, but now." The soundscape is rather abnormal, sounding dissimilar to anything Hammill has done before.

'The American Girl' also features beautiful sax tones. Hammill's storyteller vocals have more urgency as he sings of the girl who "blew in like a breath of fresh air", and "cut her teeth on the old world" that "seemed perfect". She has a major clash with the culture, and the language, and thus feels confused in this new land. A short song but with interesting content.

The songs are not as memorable as his earlier material but this solo album is still very good with some moments of brilliance and overall I was quite surprised at how consistent this relatively unknown album is.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#613579) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 20, 2012

3 stars This is another one of the "good" albums after 1986, and it is on the more rockier side than some of the dull albums he offered post-86. Maybe it was because he was going through the VDGG back-catalogue remastering the songs for the boxset cunningly entitled "The Box",that there is a ghostly s ... (read more)

Report this review (#78140) | Posted by | Sunday, May 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Isn't it amazing that somebody like Peter Hammill, who is rightfully hailed as one of the greatest lyricists and vocalists of Prog Rock attracts relatively poor attendances in these review pages, especially for his later efforts. Perhaps the good man is just too productive, which makes it hard ... (read more)

Report this review (#18780) | Posted by | Friday, October 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PETER HAMMILL "What , Now? "