WHAT , NOW?

Peter Hammill What , Now?  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy PETER HAMMILL Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. Here Come The Talkies (9:41)
2. Far-flung (across The Sky) (3:21)
3. The American Girl (3:06)
4. Wendy & The Lost Boy (3:26)
5. Lunatic In Knots (8:04)
6. Edge Of The Road (10:03)
7. Fed To The Wolves (6:22)
8. Enough (4:53)

Search PETER HAMMILL What , Now? lyrics

Search PETER HAMMILL What , Now? tabs

- Peter Hammill / everything except
- Stuart Gordon / violin, viola on 1, 3, 5, 7
- David Jackson / saxophones, flute and whistles on 3, 6
- Manny Elias / drums on 1, 5, 6, 7

2001 CD Fie 29123

PETER HAMMILL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PETER HAMMILL What , Now? Music

What NowWhat Now
Single · Import
Import [Generic] 2001
What, Now? By Peter Hammill (2009-01-01)What, Now? By Peter Hammill (2009-01-01)
Fie (Static Music Ltd)
DEEP PURPLE - NOW WHAT?! ( BOX SET ) 5 CD + DVD NEW+!! USD $29.34 Buy It Now 28 days
NOW That's What I Call Music! 47 - CD (2013) - 20 Tracks - NEW / SEALED USD $9.49 Buy It Now 19 days
WHAT WERE ONCE VICES ARE NOW HABITS [THE DOOBIE BROTHERS] [075992728027] NEW CD USD $6.93 Buy It Now 4 days
Little Man What Now DVD USD $18.17 Buy It Now 7 days
NOW That's What I Call Music 47 (CD, 2013, Universal) NEW USD $9.50 Buy It Now 20 days
Doobie Brothers "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" Lp on Warner Brothers USD $3.99 Buy It Now 8 days
WHAT NOW? - HUMMEL FIGURINE - #422 - TM #6 - GOEBEL COLLECTORS CLUB 1983 USD $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Doobie Brothers What Were Once Vices are Now Habits Black Water nm- USD $4.25 Buy It Now 5 days
Now Thats what I Call A Summer Party........New/Sealed USD $12.14 [0 bids]
3h
Now That's What I Call Music, Vol. 55 2015 CD New Sealed USD $8.39 Buy It Now 26 days
The Lucille Ball Specials: Happy Anniversary & Goodbye/What Now, Catherine... USD $7.40 Buy It Now 17 days
Now Motown - Now That's What I Call Motown! [CD New] USD $12.01 Buy It Now 25 days
Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 91 (2CD 2015) Brand New & Sealed USD $10.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Now That's What I Call New Wave 80's CD, Brand New and Sealed!!! USD $5.99 [0 bids]
CD - Lisa Marie Presley - Now What - MINTY USD $0.99 [0 bids]
USD $3.00 Buy It Now
7" NORTHERN SOUL- MITCH RYDER-BLESSING IN DISGUISE/WHAT NOW MY LOVE-EX..HEAR!! USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Disney FREE SHIPPING USD $10.60 Buy It Now 27 days
Al Martino "What now, my love " WRKO radio Promo 45 NOS USD $4.99 [0 bids]
NOW That's What I Call Chilled CD Brand New sealed USD $8.33 Buy It Now 20h 52m
NOW That's What I Call Music VOL. 47 NEW CD USD $6.55 Buy It Now 6 days
NOW That's What I Call Music! 88 CD Brand New USD $9.85 Buy It Now 22 days
Now That's What I Call Disney Princess [CD New] USD $19.01 Buy It Now 28 days
Various Artist - Now 55: That's What I Call Music [CD New] USD $13.70 Buy It Now 5 days
Now That's What I Call Music, Vol. 54 2015 CD OneRepublic New Sealed USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Various Artist - Now 53: That's What I Call Music [CD New] USD $12.58 Buy It Now 7 days
IKE & TINA TURNER: I Can't Believe What You Say / My Baby Now - Kent USD $10.00 [0 bids]
NIKE KD SE 7 VII ''WHAT THE KD'' 801778 944 [SIZE: 10] SHIPS NOW!! USD $224.95 Buy It Now 25 days
Now That's What I Call Music! 87 CD Brand New USD $9.85 Buy It Now 22 days
VARIOUS - NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DISNEY!: 4CD ALBUM SET (2014) USD $19.65 Buy It Now 28 days
Now That's What I Call Music Vol.55 / Var, Audio CD 2015,Brand New USD $8.40 Buy It Now 17 days
What the World Needs Now is Love by Tom Clay 1971 USD $1.50 Buy It Now 29 days
NOW That's What I Call Music! 91 ( 2015 CD ) New & Sealed USD $10.90 Buy It Now 3 days
1962 Northern Soul 45 MAXINE BROWN If I Knew Then (What I Know Now) dj promo M- USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Public Image Ltd. What the World Needs Now... 2xLP sealed vinyl PiL limited USD $29.98 Buy It Now 29 days
Huge lot of 26 Now That's What I Call Music CD'S...NO JUNK...!!! USD $39.99 [1 bids]
Now 53: That's What I Call Music Audio CD Brand New Sealed USD $8.99 Buy It Now 24 days
'NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A SUMMER PARTY' 3 CD SET (2015) USD $19.71 Buy It Now 19 days
GENERAL CROOK-GET OVER /WHAT I'M GETTING NOW & WHAT I'M USED TO-FUNK 45 on DOWN USD $8.00 [0 bids]
Now 39 (CD) That's What I Call Music, Katy Perry Lady Gaga Britney Spears J. Lo. USD $6.99 Buy It Now 21 days
ENZO STUARTI - WHAT NOW MY LOVE LP - SEALED USD $8.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Now That's What I Call Music 10 USD $4.00 Buy It Now 23 days
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 91 (2015) USD $14.03 Buy It Now 28 days
DEEP PURPLE Now What+1 bonus track CD USD $7.49 Buy It Now 17 days
Peanuts Snoopy Ceramic Round Pet Cat or Dog Bowl Dish Now What? More Please! USD $14.00 Buy It Now 28 days
Various Artists - Now Thatís What I Call Music!, Vol. 86 (2013) USD $3.02 [0 bids]
NOW That's What I Call Music! 30 USD $1.00 Buy It Now 11 days
Now Thats What I Call A Million Music (2014) 3 CD Box Set (New Release) USD $10.54 Buy It Now 26 days
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music 1986 (1999) millennium series USD $11.38 Buy It Now 5 days
KEVIN HART WHAT NOW AMERICA TOUR 2015 MEN T-SHIRT TEE BLACK S, M, L, XL USD $17.99 Buy It Now 24 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A COUNTRY PARTY NEW CD USD $13.37 Buy It Now 14 days
Now that's What I Call Music 77,83,84,87 - 4 Cd's Great for Party Mix USD $7.57 [1 bids]
What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits by The Doobie Brothers (CD, Oct-1990,... USD $5.00 [0 bids]
Northern Soul 45 - Al Wilson - Now I Know What Love Is - Soul City - mp3 USD $6.00 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music 1983 [ANNIVERSARY EDITION FAT CASE/BOOKLET] 2cds-VG USD $6.05 [0 bids]
41m 45s
(2) THE DOOBIE BROTHERS WHAT WERE ONCE VICES ARE NOW HABITS WS4 2750 USD $10.00 Buy It Now 29 days
Vintage Tommy Bahama Zen & Now Mind Over What Matters Frosted Glass USD $7.99 Buy It Now 5 days
FRANK SINATRA What's Now Is Now/The Train WLPromo UNPLAYED 45 USD $6.50 Buy It Now 8 days
Now That's What I Call Music 1991 - The Millennium Series USD $18.19 Buy It Now 25 days
'NOW THATS WHAT I CALL HOUSE' 3 CD SET (2015) USD $19.34 Buy It Now 11 days
NEW CD What the World Needs Now Is Love by Wynonna Judd (CD, Aug-2003, Curb) USD $5.39 Buy It Now 10 days
Marvel Now What?! #1 One-Shot VF-NM USD $3.00 Buy It Now 25 days
deep purple - now what Black t-shirt tktdw cotton all size USD $19.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Now Thats What I Call Sherk USD $4.99 Buy It Now 29 days
OTHEA GEORGE: Now That You're Gone / What A Good Thing You Had In Me 45 (label USD $45.00 Buy It Now 28 days
Now That's What I Call 21st Century CD Brand New USD $8.33 Buy It Now 22 days
The Cockroaches- Aussie Regular 45 with PS "Hey What Now" 1988 EX+ USD $3.47 [0 bids]
HERB ALPERT AND THE TIJUANA BRASS -WHAT NOW M LOVE, Vinyl LP Record STEREO USD $4.00 Buy It Now 29 days
JEAN-PAUL VIGNON - What Now My Love - PROMO 45rpm USD $2.88 Buy It Now 22 days
Now Thats What I Call Summer - Various Artists - New Music CD USD $14.05 Buy It Now 14 days
Now That's What I Call Music Vol.47 USD $4.93 Buy It Now 27 days
Now Thats What I Call Music : Vol. 35 - Now Thats What I Call Music CD (2010) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
GLEE The Music What The World Needs Now Is Love 12 TRACKS JAPAN CD USD $19.80 Buy It Now 15 days
SONNY & CHER "THE BEAT GOES ON"/"WHAT NOW MY LOVE" 45rpm-ATLANTIC USD $2.79 Buy It Now 4 days
Now That's What I Call Music 5 CD USD $3.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Now That's What I Call Music 90 [CD New] USD $20.18 Buy It Now 18 days
Herb Alpert - What Now My Love (1966) - vinyl LP PLAY-GRADED; Tijuana Brass USD $3.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Now That's What I Call Christmas!, Vol. 2: The Signature Collection by Various A USD $1.99 [0 bids]
HERB ALPERT WHAT NOW MY LOVE USD $5.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Mini LOTUS*CFL GROW BULB*2100K GET YOURS Now!. 9500 lumen,WHAT DO THEY GIVE? USD $31.95 Buy It Now 15 days
Cake - What's Now Is Now/Huge Misunderstanding 7" on Clear Color Vinyl Rock USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Various : Now That's What I Call Music 10 (1987) (2CDs) USD $37.91 Buy It Now 29 days
Now That's What I Call the 80's Hits by Various Artists (EMI) USD $13.62 Buy It Now 21 days
Now That's What I Call Music 89 USD $3.34 [5 bids]
*CHER* 45 RPM *WE ALL SLEEP ALONE, WHAT NOW MY LOVE, I FOUND SOMEONE, WASN'T IT* USD $19.99 [0 bids]
37m 49s
Various Artists - NOW That's What I Call Disney 3 CD NEW USD $21.16 Buy It Now 26 days
Now That's What I Call Music! 17 by USD $4.00 Buy It Now 27 days
NOW That's What I Call Club Hits 2014 CD Brand New USD $10.60 Buy It Now 12 days
Jackie DeShannon - What The World Needs Now USD $3.00 Buy It Now 15 days
The Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits - Warner Stereo LP USD $6.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music 91 CD Album (2015/2 Discs), NEW USD $13.34 Buy It Now 6 days
Stan Getz What The World Needs Now LP VG+ USD $3.49 Buy It Now 19 days
Now That's What I Call Music! 20 - Good+ condition USD $3.99 Buy It Now 27 days
LONESTAR 45 RPM 7" - What About Now USD $1.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Now That's What I Call Music, Vol. 55 (CD 2015) Tove Lo Brand New USD $8.49 Buy It Now 18 days
NOW 26 - Now That's What I Call Music 26 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Why the West Rules--for Now: The Patterns of History, and What They Reveal About USD $6.26 Buy It Now 26 days
Weight Watchers What to Cook Now : 300 Recipes for Every Kitchen by Inc.... USD $5.99 [0 bids]
Jack Jones What The World Needs Now LP VG+ USD $3.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Lot of 6 NOW That's What I Call Music CDs Essential Xmas, 5 6 7 9 + Xmas Vol 4 USD $12.96 Buy It Now 24 days

More places to buy PETER HAMMILL music online Buy PETER HAMMILL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PETER HAMMILL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PETER HAMMILL What , Now? ratings distribution

PETER HAMMILL What , Now? reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars There is little doubt that Peter IS a major personality of progressive rock music. Still, his most reviewed album so far only reached sixty three hits (of which 44 without comment).

This album is quite a good return to a more rocking character; which is quite alright with me. The structure of the band that is supporting Peter in this effort has not the full power of the "Graaf" but part of gang (Gordon and Jackson) is there and provides a great feeling overall.

The huge and so emotional "Here Comes The Talkies" is such an exceptional return to the early roots. Peter is as brilliant as he can be. There was quite a time that he didn't provide such a great song. His whole world is here: passion, complexity yet more accessible than average (but what is average in terms of Hammill albums?).

"What, Now?" is no bigger in terms of reviews on PA (only four so far). Come on guys! Peter is one of the people who made this all possible. Only four comments for this album is rather an insult o the artist.

Even if each song is no masterpiece, most are quite decent (I admit though that the trio after the great "Here Comes The Talkies" is not really thrilling) and there are some jewels as well.

The second of these ones is by no doubt "Lunatic In Knots". This is a brilliant song, full of the Graaf grandeur and feeling. It is of course needless to stress that Peter adds so much vocal maestria to this track. A rather dark mood combined to the great violin play from Stuart are excellent ingredients: they are just holding this song to another level. It is very fine musical moment indeed and the second highlight of this record.

The epic Edge Of The Road is a song which will transport you in several atmospheres, but most of this song is quiet. Tranquil. As Hammill can get. No real surprise to be honest. It is just that one is expecting probably too much when looking at the lenght of a song. Still, this is the third outstanding track of this album which is quite frankly a very good surprise. One has to acknowledge the excellent but discreet job of Jackson on the sax to feel all the excitement of this very good number.

This album is more opened to the casual fan; it should please more people than usual. At least I feel so and I can only recommend you to listen to this album. Three stars.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars With the turn of the millennium, Hammill finally crawled out of the creative dip that had befallen him since 1984. While he had still penned the occasional good song and even a few decent albums, nothing was as consistent and gripping as his 2001 release What Now?. At certain moments, it is almost as if this album announces the imminent VDGG reunion.

Here Come the Talkies starts off like the many other good ballad he had done in the years before, but halfway in, it gradually changes into a frenzied nerve attack like we hadn't enjoyed since his last great album Patience. Sharp processed guitars, sound effects and unsettling rhythms turn this into a great progressive piece that would not misfit on VDGG's Present. The songs ends with a short reprise of the opening ballad section.

Next on are three short and sweet songs that have more inspiration and variation then on any of the preceding Hammill albums. Especially Far-Flung is most captivating with its excellent guitar picking. It's a hint of what he would do on the ensuing masterpiece Clutch.

Lunatic In Knots is a longer piece that ends somewhere halfway between Hammill's reflective moods and the more brooding tendencies of VDGG's Still Life. By the end it picks up some speed but the rather straightforward 4/4 beat doesn't really do it justice. As on most of the preceding Hammill albums, I can't say I'm very impressed by the unimaginative drumming of Manny Elias.

The ten minute long Edge of the Road isn't a progressive track (if you would have hoped for that) but a good extended ballad with an interesting textured sound. Again, apart from the substandard percussion, it's a good piece.

With two more tracks to go, this album could still toss either to the 3 stars or to the 4 stars side. While both Fed To The Wolves and Enough are good tracks, they aren't any better then just good.

The next album Clutch was recorded without percussion. Hammill would return to the idiom of Chameleon In The Shadow of the Night and deliver one of his best albums in a long long while. What Now? can't claim similar excellence but its nevertheless a very consistent album. 3 solid stars.

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Peter Hammill's "What, Now?" is a softer album for the visionary of Van der Graaf Generator. It contains some mesmirising beauty such as the lovely 'Far-flung (across The Sky)' with Hammill gentler than one may have heard him. There are true moments of heart felt poetic splendour such as on Wendy & The Lost Boy; "Sometimes the boy denies the man, sometimes the boy defies the man, flying in the shade of Peter Pan, Wendy, maybe you still remember this, a touch a kiss, that lasts forever, but time and tide runs in conspiracy, Wendy, I still believe the promise is the boy 's alive, the boy is in the man!"

Apart from the emphasis on tranquil ambience, there is a fair share of heavier songs such as the awesome 'Here Come The Talkies' clocking almost 10 minutes and featuring Hammill's angular guitar riff. He is more aggressive on this and it is definitely one of the better tracks of his solo career. At about 7 minutes in the song settles into a relaxing piano and serene vocals as a stark contrast.

It is nice to hear David Jackson's saxophones and flute on 'The American Girl' and 'Edge of the Road'. This latter song has a beautiful intro with the sax following along slide guitar and Hammill's thought provoking vocals. There is a dreamy atmosphere on this 10 minute track that has a calming effect. The lyrics are compelling; "someday he'll make his way home, will the man of the moment finally make himself known, and lay down his load, at the edge of the road." At 5: 40 the song becomes entrancing with a flute solo and chinking percussion, as a low drone intensifies creating an ominous atmosphere. Jackson's sax is tantalising, he is so welcome on these solo albums, adding more depth and emotion. This song is definitely one of the highlights of "What, Now?"

At times Hammill regresses to the darker textures that he seems to revel in on every solo album, in this case the darkest track is the boisterous creepy 'Fed To The Wolves'. Stuart Gordon's violins screech very eerie tones as Hammill unleashes guitar crashes to generate an ethereal soundscape. It goes on a bit too long without enough variation but still holds interest for the most part.

'Enough' is also darker with some eerie music and a low chanting male choir. Hammill lapses into his reflective mode thinking about life and death, "not that, but this, not why, but how, not if, but when, not soon, but now." The soundscape is rather abnormal, sounding dissimilar to anything Hammill has done before.

'The American Girl' also features beautiful sax tones. Hammill's storyteller vocals have more urgency as he sings of the girl who "blew in like a breath of fresh air", and "cut her teeth on the old world" that "seemed perfect". She has a major clash with the culture, and the language, and thus feels confused in this new land. A short song but with interesting content.

The songs are not as memorable as his earlier material but this solo album is still very good with some moments of brilliance and overall I was quite surprised at how consistent this relatively unknown album is.

3 stars This is another one of the "good" albums after 1986, and it is on the more rockier side than some of the dull albums he offered post-86. Maybe it was because he was going through the VDGG back-catalogue remastering the songs for the boxset cunningly entitled "The Box",that there is a ghostly s ... (read more)

Report this review (#78140) | Posted by | Sunday, May 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Isn't it amazing that somebody like Peter Hammill, who is rightfully hailed as one of the greatest lyricists and vocalists of Prog Rock attracts relatively poor attendances in these review pages, especially for his later efforts. Perhaps the good man is just too productive, which makes it hard ... (read more)

Report this review (#18780) | Posted by | Friday, October 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PETER HAMMILL "What , Now? "