WHAT , NOW?

Peter Hammill What , Now?  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy PETER HAMMILL Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. Here Come The Talkies (9:41)
2. Far-flung (across The Sky) (3:21)
3. The American Girl (3:06)
4. Wendy & The Lost Boy (3:26)
5. Lunatic In Knots (8:04)
6. Edge Of The Road (10:03)
7. Fed To The Wolves (6:22)
8. Enough (4:53)

Search PETER HAMMILL What , Now? lyrics

Search PETER HAMMILL What , Now? tabs

- Peter Hammill / everything except
- Stuart Gordon / violin, viola on 1, 3, 5, 7
- David Jackson / saxophones, flute and whistles on 3, 6
- Manny Elias / drums on 1, 5, 6, 7

2001 CD Fie 29123

PETER HAMMILL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PETER HAMMILL What , Now? Music

What NowWhat Now
Single · Import
Import [Generic] 2001
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CLUB HITS CD - BRAND NEW & SEALED - 19 CLASSIC TRACKS USD $1.49 [0 bids]
Various Artist - Now 52: That's What I Call Music [CD New] USD $14.53 Buy It Now 20 days
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call a Million (2014) USD $12.54 [5 bids]
Now That's What I Call Disney [1-CD] by Various Artists (CD, Nov-2012, Walt... USD $4.99 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music Vol.50 2014 CD New Sealed USD $9.99 Buy It Now 27 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC ! vol. 5 CD BON JOVI NSYNC USD $0.99 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music ! Vol. 7 CD (2001) Various Artist USD $0.99 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Christmas, Various Artists, New Import USD $10.99 Buy It Now 4 days
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 (2CD 2014) 45 trks Brand New USD $8.00 [5 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music 31 USD $4.69 [1 bids]
Various Artists : Now, Thats What I Call Music! 4 CD (2000) USD $4.34 Buy It Now 27 days
NOW That's What I Call A Party Album CD Pink Ke$ha Nicki Minaj Will.I.Am MINT USD $8.68 [5 bids]
NOW That's What I Call The 90s CD Album X3Disc New Release USD $11.73 [8 bids]
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL LEGENDS....... New/sealed USD $12.51 Buy It Now 2 days
NOW That's What I Call DISNEY CD Album X4Disc New Release USD $8.60 [7 bids]
NOW That's What I Call LEGENDS CD Album ( Queen U2 Mariah Carey + Bon Jovi ) USD $8.60 [10 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 12 by Various Artists USD $4.49 Buy It Now 24 days
NOW That's What I Call MUSICALS CD Album MINT Condition ( Wicked ) USD $1.88 [2 bids]
NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL MUSIC CD's BUNDLE NOW 29,30,32,36,72,73,77 USD $159.49 [32 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.52 (CD 2014) John Ryan Brand New USD $8.99 Buy It Now 10 days
CD 'Essential Now That's What I Call Christmas' 25 tracks USD $2.99 [1 bids]
CD 'Now That's What I Call Music 62' RARE SOUTH AFRICA IMPORT 2CD SEALED USD $2.99 [0 bids]
'NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DISNEY' (Includes Xmas Disc) 4 CD SET (2014) USD $20.25 Buy It Now 5h 38m
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 (2CD 2014) 45 trks Brand New USD $5.99 [1 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 (2CD 2014] 45 trks Brand New USD $5.99 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Today's Christmas by Various Artists (CD, Sep-2012,... USD $0.01 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Country - Vol. 6-Now That's What I Call Country [CD New] USD $11.41 Buy It Now 17 days
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music Vol.26 (1993) USD $4.36 [2 bids]
Now Thats What I Call Running Music (2014) 3 CD Box Set (New Release) Now That's USD $3.44 [6 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 (2CD 2014) 45 trks Brand New Sealed USD $11.49 Buy It Now 13 days
Now 87 (2 CD Set) That's What I Call Music (2 CD's) 2014 (Avicii, Sam Bailey etc USD $14.85 [9 bids]
Now 86 (2 CD Set) That's What I Call Music (2 CD's) 2013 (Ylvis, Katie Perry etc USD $3.44 [7 bids]
NOW, Vol. 52 [US] by Various Artists (Now That's What I Call Music CD, 2014, ) USD $8.43 Buy It Now 9 days
WHAT IF? AVENGERS Vs X-MEN #1 - 4 COMPLETE! MARVEL NOW MOLINA ART! USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $8.99 Buy It Now
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! COLLECTION LOT 1-26 & #1'S & 3 CHRISTMAS 30 CD SET USD $119.99 [0 bids]
USD $155.99 Buy It Now
NOW 52: THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC CD - VARIOUS ARTISTS (2014) - NEW UNOPENED USD $14.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Herb Alpert Signed LP Record Album & Tijuana Brass What Now My Love w/ AUTO USD $24.99 [0 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 [2CD 2014) 45 trks Brand New USD $5.99 [0 bids]
NOW that's what I call music 10 (2CD) USD $29.32 Buy It Now 24 days
What To Do Now By Tina Lee 1946 First Edition! USD $9.99 [0 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC #5, 14-15, 19 and GOT HITS! - 5 CD lot, 99 tracks USD $5.00 [0 bids]
USD $10.00 Buy It Now
Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.51 2014 CD New Sealed USD $9.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Now That's What I Call Music 23 Fatbox USD $5.47 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music 79 USD $3.91 [0 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 (2CD 2014) 45 tracks Brand New Sealed USD $11.49 Buy It Now 13 days
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 88 [2CD 2014] 45 trks Brand New Sealed USD $5.99 [0 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 (2CD 2014) 45 trks Brand New USD $5.99 [0 bids]
Now 51: That's What I Call Music [CD New] USD $15.17 Buy It Now 20 days
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 (2CD 2014) Brand New & Sealed USD $5.99 [0 bids]
NOW "THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC" / VARIOUS ARTISTS (USA FIRST EDITION) - USED CD USD $4.00 [0 bids]
Goebel Collector's Club Figure What Now USD $15.00 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Christmas Music [CD New] USD $16.52 Buy It Now 10 days
~~~ VINTAGE ANRI HAFNER MUSIC BOX WHAT NOW MY LOVE SWISS ALL WOOD ~~~ USD $39.99 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Classic Rock by Various Artists (CD, Jun-2008, Capitol/EM USD $1.99 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music Vol. 27 USD $4.00 Buy It Now 15 days
Now That's What I Call Music 89 (UK Series) with broken jewel case USD $6.00 [7 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC #1 - 80'S COLLECTION MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN USD $50.00 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Country Ballads 2 2014 CD Luke Bryan Hunter Hayes Sealed USD $9.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Now that's What I Call Music 11. 1988 As new. USD $7.80 [1 bids]
Business Think : Rules for Getting It Right - Now, and No Matter What! by... USD $0.99 [0 bids]
WHAT DO I EAT NOW? - TAMI A. ROSS PATRICIA GEIL (PAPERBACK) NEW USD $14.34 Buy It Now 14 days
70s Soul 45 - James Brown & Lyn Collins - What My Baby Needs Now - Polydor VG++ USD $6.00 [0 bids]
MJ Hummel What Now USD $20.00 [0 bids]
'NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL THE 90s' 3 CD SET (2014) USD $20.25 Buy It Now 21 days
Now That's What I Call Quite Good! by The Housemartins (CD, Oct-1992,... USD $0.99 [0 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DISNEY VOL. 3 CD MINT PLAYED ONCE GREAT KIDS USD $8.99 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Disney Princess [CD New] USD $18.66 Buy It Now 29 days
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Disney [2014] (2014) USD $7.80 [1 bids]
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music Vol.59 (2004) USD $1.55 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Disney + Bonus Xmas Songs New 4 CD Box Christmas US Shipr USD $15.88 Buy It Now 22 days
Hummel - What Now? USD $30.00 [0 bids]
1 CENT CD Now, That's What I call Music! Vol. 5 NSYNC/BRITNEY SPEARS/BON JOVI USD $0.01 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music - Vol. 47-Now That's What I Call Music [CD New] USD $11.65 Buy It Now 7 days
World War I Double Sided Poster What did you do in the Great War / Enlist Now! USD $0.02 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Chilled Music (3 CD Set) 2014 (George Ezra, Sam Smith etc USD $7.97 [14 bids]
Mike Mosley Now That's What I Call Mobb Music CD 2Pac E-40 C-Bo G Funk Bay Rap USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call a Country Christmas by Various Artists *New CD* USD $12.92 Buy It Now 17 days
Goebel Hummel 422 What Now? Special Edition No. 7 1981 CV$240 - RARE USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Lucille Ball Specials Happy Anniversary & Goodbye What Now Catherine Curtis Lucy USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Country Christ - Now That's What I Ca USD $15.50 Buy It Now 21 days
Regula Cuckoo clock - not working right now - not sure what it takes-maybe parts USD $20.00 [0 bids]
Various Artists - Now That’s What I Call Music!, Vol. 86 (2013) USD $3.13 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 2014 CD [2CD] 45 Trks New Sealed USD $12.76 Buy It Now 14 days
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 25 - UK CD album 1993 USD $1.55 [1 bids]
Now Thats What I Call Club Music Hits (2014) 3 CD Set (New Release) Kiesza etc USD $3.05 [3 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 13, Various Artists, Good USD $3.18 Buy It Now 27 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC - VOLUME 83 (2012 2-CD SET) USD $2.35 [0 bids]
Eminem rare, Champtown Now or Never Nigga Pre Slim Shady Ep -What Color is Soul USD $2,195.00 [0 bids]
USD $2,895.00 Buy It Now
NOW that's what I call music 15 (2CD) USD $48.46 Buy It Now 24 days
WHAT NOW MY LOVE by HERB ALPERT & TIJUANA BRASS vinyl LP(Mono) 1966 A&M (EX) USD $0.99 [0 bids]
USD $1.99 Buy It Now
Now That's What I Call Music 89! - Various Artists - New 2 X CD - Not Sealed USD $1.55 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Country Christmas [CD New] USD $15.83 Buy It Now 6 days
Preparing for a Career in Public Safety What Can I Do Now? (1998, Hardcover) USD $1.51 [0 bids]
USD $1.97 Buy It Now
Now That's What I Call Music Vol.58 (2004) USD $1.55 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Christmas [Box] Various Artists 3 CD 63 Hits Import New USD $9.90 Buy It Now 14 days
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 89 (2014) USD $18.76 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call the '80s, Vol. 2 by Various Artists (CD, Jun-2009,... USD $6.00 [0 bids]
USD $8.00 Buy It Now
WHAT DO I DO NOW? USD $12.98 Buy It Now 25 days
ADVOCATE MAGAZINE - December 7, 2004 - GEORGE W. BUSH; NOW WHAT?, MARRIAGE BANS. USD $0.01 [0 bids]
OWL - VINTAGE SANKYO MUSIC BOX - "What the World Needs Now Is Love - Sweet Lov USD $18.20 [0 bids]

More places to buy PETER HAMMILL music online Buy PETER HAMMILL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PETER HAMMILL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PETER HAMMILL What , Now? ratings distribution

PETER HAMMILL What , Now? reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars There is little doubt that Peter IS a major personality of progressive rock music. Still, his most reviewed album so far only reached sixty three hits (of which 44 without comment).

This album is quite a good return to a more rocking character; which is quite alright with me. The structure of the band that is supporting Peter in this effort has not the full power of the "Graaf" but part of gang (Gordon and Jackson) is there and provides a great feeling overall.

The huge and so emotional "Here Comes The Talkies" is such an exceptional return to the early roots. Peter is as brilliant as he can be. There was quite a time that he didn't provide such a great song. His whole world is here: passion, complexity yet more accessible than average (but what is average in terms of Hammill albums?).

"What, Now?" is no bigger in terms of reviews on PA (only four so far). Come on guys! Peter is one of the people who made this all possible. Only four comments for this album is rather an insult o the artist.

Even if each song is no masterpiece, most are quite decent (I admit though that the trio after the great "Here Comes The Talkies" is not really thrilling) and there are some jewels as well.

The second of these ones is by no doubt "Lunatic In Knots". This is a brilliant song, full of the Graaf grandeur and feeling. It is of course needless to stress that Peter adds so much vocal maestria to this track. A rather dark mood combined to the great violin play from Stuart are excellent ingredients: they are just holding this song to another level. It is very fine musical moment indeed and the second highlight of this record.

The epic Edge Of The Road is a song which will transport you in several atmospheres, but most of this song is quiet. Tranquil. As Hammill can get. No real surprise to be honest. It is just that one is expecting probably too much when looking at the lenght of a song. Still, this is the third outstanding track of this album which is quite frankly a very good surprise. One has to acknowledge the excellent but discreet job of Jackson on the sax to feel all the excitement of this very good number.

This album is more opened to the casual fan; it should please more people than usual. At least I feel so and I can only recommend you to listen to this album. Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#182810) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 18, 2008

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars With the turn of the millennium, Hammill finally crawled out of the creative dip that had befallen him since 1984. While he had still penned the occasional good song and even a few decent albums, nothing was as consistent and gripping as his 2001 release What Now?. At certain moments, it is almost as if this album announces the imminent VDGG reunion.

Here Come the Talkies starts off like the many other good ballad he had done in the years before, but halfway in, it gradually changes into a frenzied nerve attack like we hadn't enjoyed since his last great album Patience. Sharp processed guitars, sound effects and unsettling rhythms turn this into a great progressive piece that would not misfit on VDGG's Present. The songs ends with a short reprise of the opening ballad section.

Next on are three short and sweet songs that have more inspiration and variation then on any of the preceding Hammill albums. Especially Far-Flung is most captivating with its excellent guitar picking. It's a hint of what he would do on the ensuing masterpiece Clutch.

Lunatic In Knots is a longer piece that ends somewhere halfway between Hammill's reflective moods and the more brooding tendencies of VDGG's Still Life. By the end it picks up some speed but the rather straightforward 4/4 beat doesn't really do it justice. As on most of the preceding Hammill albums, I can't say I'm very impressed by the unimaginative drumming of Manny Elias.

The ten minute long Edge of the Road isn't a progressive track (if you would have hoped for that) but a good extended ballad with an interesting textured sound. Again, apart from the substandard percussion, it's a good piece.

With two more tracks to go, this album could still toss either to the 3 stars or to the 4 stars side. While both Fed To The Wolves and Enough are good tracks, they aren't any better then just good.

The next album Clutch was recorded without percussion. Hammill would return to the idiom of Chameleon In The Shadow of the Night and deliver one of his best albums in a long long while. What Now? can't claim similar excellence but its nevertheless a very consistent album. 3 solid stars.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#253779) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Peter Hammill's "What, Now?" is a softer album for the visionary of Van der Graaf Generator. It contains some mesmirising beauty such as the lovely 'Far-flung (across The Sky)' with Hammill gentler than one may have heard him. There are true moments of heart felt poetic splendour such as on Wendy & The Lost Boy; "Sometimes the boy denies the man, sometimes the boy defies the man, flying in the shade of Peter Pan, Wendy, maybe you still remember this, a touch a kiss, that lasts forever, but time and tide runs in conspiracy, Wendy, I still believe the promise is the boy 's alive, the boy is in the man!"

Apart from the emphasis on tranquil ambience, there is a fair share of heavier songs such as the awesome 'Here Come The Talkies' clocking almost 10 minutes and featuring Hammill's angular guitar riff. He is more aggressive on this and it is definitely one of the better tracks of his solo career. At about 7 minutes in the song settles into a relaxing piano and serene vocals as a stark contrast.

It is nice to hear David Jackson's saxophones and flute on 'The American Girl' and 'Edge of the Road'. This latter song has a beautiful intro with the sax following along slide guitar and Hammill's thought provoking vocals. There is a dreamy atmosphere on this 10 minute track that has a calming effect. The lyrics are compelling; "someday he'll make his way home, will the man of the moment finally make himself known, and lay down his load, at the edge of the road." At 5: 40 the song becomes entrancing with a flute solo and chinking percussion, as a low drone intensifies creating an ominous atmosphere. Jackson's sax is tantalising, he is so welcome on these solo albums, adding more depth and emotion. This song is definitely one of the highlights of "What, Now?"

At times Hammill regresses to the darker textures that he seems to revel in on every solo album, in this case the darkest track is the boisterous creepy 'Fed To The Wolves'. Stuart Gordon's violins screech very eerie tones as Hammill unleashes guitar crashes to generate an ethereal soundscape. It goes on a bit too long without enough variation but still holds interest for the most part.

'Enough' is also darker with some eerie music and a low chanting male choir. Hammill lapses into his reflective mode thinking about life and death, "not that, but this, not why, but how, not if, but when, not soon, but now." The soundscape is rather abnormal, sounding dissimilar to anything Hammill has done before.

'The American Girl' also features beautiful sax tones. Hammill's storyteller vocals have more urgency as he sings of the girl who "blew in like a breath of fresh air", and "cut her teeth on the old world" that "seemed perfect". She has a major clash with the culture, and the language, and thus feels confused in this new land. A short song but with interesting content.

The songs are not as memorable as his earlier material but this solo album is still very good with some moments of brilliance and overall I was quite surprised at how consistent this relatively unknown album is.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#613579) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 20, 2012

3 stars This is another one of the "good" albums after 1986, and it is on the more rockier side than some of the dull albums he offered post-86. Maybe it was because he was going through the VDGG back-catalogue remastering the songs for the boxset cunningly entitled "The Box",that there is a ghostly s ... (read more)

Report this review (#78140) | Posted by | Sunday, May 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Isn't it amazing that somebody like Peter Hammill, who is rightfully hailed as one of the greatest lyricists and vocalists of Prog Rock attracts relatively poor attendances in these review pages, especially for his later efforts. Perhaps the good man is just too productive, which makes it hard ... (read more)

Report this review (#18780) | Posted by | Friday, October 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PETER HAMMILL "What , Now? "