WHAT , NOW?

Peter Hammill What , Now?  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy PETER HAMMILL Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. Here Come The Talkies (9:41)
2. Far-flung (across The Sky) (3:21)
3. The American Girl (3:06)
4. Wendy & The Lost Boy (3:26)
5. Lunatic In Knots (8:04)
6. Edge Of The Road (10:03)
7. Fed To The Wolves (6:22)
8. Enough (4:53)

Search PETER HAMMILL What , Now? lyrics

Search PETER HAMMILL What , Now? tabs

- Peter Hammill / everything except
- Stuart Gordon / violin, viola on 1, 3, 5, 7
- David Jackson / saxophones, flute and whistles on 3, 6
- Manny Elias / drums on 1, 5, 6, 7

2001 CD Fie 29123

PETER HAMMILL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PETER HAMMILL What , Now? Music

What NowWhat Now
Single · Import
Import [Generic] 2001
1 Cent CD Now 39 That's What I Call Music Katy Perry Lady Gaga Britney Spears SL USD $3.50 [5 bids]
Various Artists : Now Thats What I Call Music! 8 CD (2001) USD $4.34 Buy It Now 1 day
1 Cent CD: Now 44 That's What I Call Music P!nk Maroon 5 Katy Perry Gagnam Style USD $0.01 [1 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.52 (CD 2014) John Ryan Brand New USD $4.78 [0 bids]
Mazda Miata Window GUIDE KIT- NOW Has all of what you need to install and more USD $37.95 Buy It Now 25 days
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.53 (CD 2015) Coldplay Brand New USD $5.10 [2 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 [2CD 2014) 45 trks Brand New USD $5.99 [0 bids]
Now 53: That's What I Call Music, New, Free Shipping USD $13.16 Buy It Now 8h 41m
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.52 (CD 2014) 21 trks Brand New USD $4.78 [0 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.53 (CD 2015) Brand New and Sealed USD $4.78 [1 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.53 (CD 2015) Brand New and Sealed USD $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
now thats what i call music 19 cd RARE USD $23.06 [0 bids]
Now Thats What I Call Music 20 - Rare OOP Fat Box 2 CD Album USD $7.13 [5 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 16, Now That's What I Call Music, Good USD $1.00 Buy It Now 28 days
Now Thats What I Call Music 23 - Rare OOP Fat Box 2 CD Album USD $1.52 [0 bids]
"NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 10" Rare Original 1987 CD -Ex Condition CD NOW10 USD $3.38 [2 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 16 Now That's What I Call Music USD $4.00 Buy It Now 29 days
Now That's What I Call Music 1 - Double Cassette Tape Tested USD $12.28 [0 bids]
Now Thats What I Call Music.The Best Of now Canadian series USD $1.54 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 5 Now That's What I Call Music USD $4.08 Buy It Now 29 days
KEVIN HART - WHAT NOW TOUR (Two Tickets) USD $220.00 [0 bids]
USD $320.00 Buy It Now
1-CENT: "NOW That's What I Call Music! Volume 5" CD *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys USD $0.01 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 10 Now That's What I Call Music USD $4.32 Buy It Now 29 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 5- SEALED - BON JOVI- DESTINY'S CHILD-CD USD $0.01 [1 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 48 USD $3.00 [0 bids]
Bon Jovi - What About Now +5 BOUNS 17 TRACK JAPAN CD OBI SEALED USD $3.99 [0 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 (2CD 2014) 45 trks Brand New Sealed USD $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.53 (CD 2015) Brand New & Sealed USD $4.78 [0 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 (2CD 2014) Brand New & Sealed USD $5.99 [1 bids]
Now 45: That's What I Call Music, Various Artists, New USD $3.47 Buy It Now 5 days
Now That's What I Call Music Disney Vol 3 Thats CD Album 20 Walt Favorites USD $2.26 [4 bids]
Now, That's What I Call Music Vol. 21 (CD, Apr-2006, UTV) USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 13: Various Artists USD $1.07 Buy It Now 29 days
2 Tickets for Kevin Hart What Now Tour @Madison Square Garden, July 8th 10:30pm USD $335.00 [0 bids]
7X-Now, Vol. 80--81--82--83-- 84-- 85-86 - Now That's What I Call Music CD LOT USD $35.49 [2 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 14 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 24 days
10 x NOW That's what i call music Album 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 CD bundle USD $30.73 [0 bids]
10 x NOW That's what i call music cd 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 CD Rare cds USD $30.73 [0 bids]
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC LOT USD $34.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Various Artists - Now Thatís What I Call Music!, Vol. 86 (2013) USD $4.96 [4 bids]
Now Thats What I Call A Million Music (2014) 3 CD Box Set (New Release) USD $11.53 [10 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music! 2 by Various Artists USD $5.08 Buy It Now 27 days
Now Thats What I Call Walt Disney Music (4 CD Box Set) 88 Classic Songs (THAT'S USD $7.69 [4 bids]
Now 88 (2 CD Set) That's What I Call Music (2 CD's) 2014 (Sam Smith, Mr Probz) USD $10.76 [7 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music - Vol. 38-Now That's What I Call Music [CD New] USD $4.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Now 86 (2 CD Set) That's What I Call Music (2 CD's) 2013 (Ylvis, Katie Perry etc USD $6.15 [9 bids]
Now 53: That's What I Call Music Maroon 5 Ed Sheeran Sam Smith USD $5.60 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music 85 - Various Artists - 2CD *NEW* USD $12.28 Buy It Now 18 days
What if #27 in FN condition Huge auction going on now! USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Jean Philippe Blin Trio - What Matter Now? LP jazz Futura Records France 1971 USD $49.00 [0 bids]
NOW, Vol. 52 Various Artists (CD, Oct-2014, Now That's What I Call Music) USD $5.69 [0 bids]
1996 Animal Mystic #16 Now What USD $1.50 Buy It Now 29 days
Now that's what I call music 7 CD 2001 USD $1.99 [0 bids]
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC LOT USD $23.00 [0 bids]
USD $31.00 Buy It Now
DEEP PURPLE Now What CD + DVD Double Deluxe Edition + bonus USD $10.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Now Thats What I Call A Party (Triple Cd) USD $8.45 [5 bids]
Now Thats What I Call Feel Good Music (2014) 3 CD Set (Summer Songs) USD $0.85 [3 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.53 (CD 2015) Coldplay Brand New USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC 20 LP-RARE VINYL-" VARIOUS ARTISTS " - NOW20 USD $6.13 [1 bids]
Vintage 1950's Civil Defense Brochure What To Do Now St. Louis Edition USD $9.99 [1 bids]
NOW 86 - THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 2 x CD USD $8.38 Buy It Now 29 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 6- BACKSTREET BOYS- DESTINY'S CHILD- ETC-CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
2 Tickets Kevin Hart | What Now Tour | American Airlines Arena Miami, FL Sec 113 USD $0.99 [1 bids]
Various Artist - Now 52: That's What I Call Music [CD New] USD $11.95 Buy It Now 7 days
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.53 (CD 2015) Brand New and Sealed USD $4.78 [0 bids]
Now That's what I Call Christmas 2 USD $2.00 Buy It Now 23 days
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 (2CD 2014) 45 trks Brand New & Sealed USD $5.99 [0 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music,Vol. 89 (2CD 2014) 45 trks Brand New Sealed USD $5.99 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call a Country Party 2013 CD New Sealed USD $8.79 Buy It Now 27 days
Now That's What I Call Music! 32 USD $1.52 [0 bids]
CD Now That's What I Call Music 55 USD $3.07 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music Vol.52 2014 CD Enrique Iglesias Nicki Minaj Sealed USD $8.79 Buy It Now 11 days
Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music Vol.31 (CD 1995) USD $3.83 [0 bids]
rare Northern Soul 45 "WHAT HAVE I GOT NOW" Darrow Fletcher Jacklyn 1002 USD $99.99 [0 bids]
BEN E. KING - What Now My Love - 7" PS EP USD $11.53 [0 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music 3 Press Ad 80s magazine advert FREE P USD $7.67 Buy It Now 29 days
NOW THAT`S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 25 DOUBLE CD BIGBOX RELEASE USD $4.60 [0 bids]
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC 8 CD 1987 Original Very Good Condition USD $33.82 [10 bids]
Various Artists: Now That's What I Call Disney 2011 (CD) NEW and SEALED USD $10.74 Buy It Now 28 days
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC 22 2 XCD FAT BOX USD $1.52 [1 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music 1981 - The Millennium Series USD $10.74 [0 bids]
VA - Now That's What I Call Music, Vol.52 (CD 2014) John Ryan Brand New USD $8.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Collection of 6 various Now thats what i call music cds. U2. Boyzone.take that. USD $7.67 [0 bids]
70's Soul 45 JAMES BROWN LYN COLLINS What My Baby Needs Now...POLYDOR HEAR Vinyl USD $8.00 [0 bids]
now thats what I call dance cd brand new USD $15.36 Buy It Now 17h 44m
4 x Now Thats What I Call music CDs 30, 61, 68, 72 USD $1.52 [0 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DECADES (2003) 3-CD SET *60 NO.1s* 1p!!!!! USD $0.02 [1 bids]
Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now H [CD New] USD $10.93 Buy It Now 24 days
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 20 (1991) 2-CD SET *35 TRKS* 1p!!! USD $8.16 [3 bids]
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL CHRISTMAS (2012 EDITION) 3-CD SET *53 TRKS* 1p!!!! USD $2.31 [3 bids]
Now That's What I Call Music Vol.50 2014 CD New Sealed USD $8.79 Buy It Now 11 days
Kids CD Lot (5) Kidz Bop Now That's What I Call Shrek Country Sings Disney USD $3.50 [0 bids]
USD $10.00 Buy It Now
Job Lot Of Now That's What I Call Music Cds USD $7.67 [0 bids]
Now 44: That's What I Call Music, Little Big Town, Train, Swedish , Good USD $1.00 Buy It Now 28 days
Bon Jovi - What About Now +5 bonus tracks OBI OOP AOR Japanese Melodic Rock CD USD $12.28 [0 bids]
The Doobie Brothers What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits MFSL hybrid CD SACD USD $23.04 [0 bids]
What's Happening Now! - The Complete First Season (DVD, 2007, 3-Disc Set) USD $10.99 Buy It Now 6 days
1 CENT CD Now That's What I Call Music! Vol 29 PINK/KATY PERRY/RIHANNA/LIL WAYNE USD $0.01 [1 bids]
NOW THATS WHAT I CALL MUSIC LOT FOUR USD $34.00 [0 bids]
USD $45.00 Buy It Now
0 result found for "PETER HAMMILL"
Visit LPCDressisues.com for more results

More places to buy PETER HAMMILL music online Buy PETER HAMMILL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PETER HAMMILL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PETER HAMMILL What , Now? ratings distribution

PETER HAMMILL What , Now? reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars There is little doubt that Peter IS a major personality of progressive rock music. Still, his most reviewed album so far only reached sixty three hits (of which 44 without comment).

This album is quite a good return to a more rocking character; which is quite alright with me. The structure of the band that is supporting Peter in this effort has not the full power of the "Graaf" but part of gang (Gordon and Jackson) is there and provides a great feeling overall.

The huge and so emotional "Here Comes The Talkies" is such an exceptional return to the early roots. Peter is as brilliant as he can be. There was quite a time that he didn't provide such a great song. His whole world is here: passion, complexity yet more accessible than average (but what is average in terms of Hammill albums?).

"What, Now?" is no bigger in terms of reviews on PA (only four so far). Come on guys! Peter is one of the people who made this all possible. Only four comments for this album is rather an insult o the artist.

Even if each song is no masterpiece, most are quite decent (I admit though that the trio after the great "Here Comes The Talkies" is not really thrilling) and there are some jewels as well.

The second of these ones is by no doubt "Lunatic In Knots". This is a brilliant song, full of the Graaf grandeur and feeling. It is of course needless to stress that Peter adds so much vocal maestria to this track. A rather dark mood combined to the great violin play from Stuart are excellent ingredients: they are just holding this song to another level. It is very fine musical moment indeed and the second highlight of this record.

The epic Edge Of The Road is a song which will transport you in several atmospheres, but most of this song is quiet. Tranquil. As Hammill can get. No real surprise to be honest. It is just that one is expecting probably too much when looking at the lenght of a song. Still, this is the third outstanding track of this album which is quite frankly a very good surprise. One has to acknowledge the excellent but discreet job of Jackson on the sax to feel all the excitement of this very good number.

This album is more opened to the casual fan; it should please more people than usual. At least I feel so and I can only recommend you to listen to this album. Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#182810) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 18, 2008

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars With the turn of the millennium, Hammill finally crawled out of the creative dip that had befallen him since 1984. While he had still penned the occasional good song and even a few decent albums, nothing was as consistent and gripping as his 2001 release What Now?. At certain moments, it is almost as if this album announces the imminent VDGG reunion.

Here Come the Talkies starts off like the many other good ballad he had done in the years before, but halfway in, it gradually changes into a frenzied nerve attack like we hadn't enjoyed since his last great album Patience. Sharp processed guitars, sound effects and unsettling rhythms turn this into a great progressive piece that would not misfit on VDGG's Present. The songs ends with a short reprise of the opening ballad section.

Next on are three short and sweet songs that have more inspiration and variation then on any of the preceding Hammill albums. Especially Far-Flung is most captivating with its excellent guitar picking. It's a hint of what he would do on the ensuing masterpiece Clutch.

Lunatic In Knots is a longer piece that ends somewhere halfway between Hammill's reflective moods and the more brooding tendencies of VDGG's Still Life. By the end it picks up some speed but the rather straightforward 4/4 beat doesn't really do it justice. As on most of the preceding Hammill albums, I can't say I'm very impressed by the unimaginative drumming of Manny Elias.

The ten minute long Edge of the Road isn't a progressive track (if you would have hoped for that) but a good extended ballad with an interesting textured sound. Again, apart from the substandard percussion, it's a good piece.

With two more tracks to go, this album could still toss either to the 3 stars or to the 4 stars side. While both Fed To The Wolves and Enough are good tracks, they aren't any better then just good.

The next album Clutch was recorded without percussion. Hammill would return to the idiom of Chameleon In The Shadow of the Night and deliver one of his best albums in a long long while. What Now? can't claim similar excellence but its nevertheless a very consistent album. 3 solid stars.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#253779) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Peter Hammill's "What, Now?" is a softer album for the visionary of Van der Graaf Generator. It contains some mesmirising beauty such as the lovely 'Far-flung (across The Sky)' with Hammill gentler than one may have heard him. There are true moments of heart felt poetic splendour such as on Wendy & The Lost Boy; "Sometimes the boy denies the man, sometimes the boy defies the man, flying in the shade of Peter Pan, Wendy, maybe you still remember this, a touch a kiss, that lasts forever, but time and tide runs in conspiracy, Wendy, I still believe the promise is the boy 's alive, the boy is in the man!"

Apart from the emphasis on tranquil ambience, there is a fair share of heavier songs such as the awesome 'Here Come The Talkies' clocking almost 10 minutes and featuring Hammill's angular guitar riff. He is more aggressive on this and it is definitely one of the better tracks of his solo career. At about 7 minutes in the song settles into a relaxing piano and serene vocals as a stark contrast.

It is nice to hear David Jackson's saxophones and flute on 'The American Girl' and 'Edge of the Road'. This latter song has a beautiful intro with the sax following along slide guitar and Hammill's thought provoking vocals. There is a dreamy atmosphere on this 10 minute track that has a calming effect. The lyrics are compelling; "someday he'll make his way home, will the man of the moment finally make himself known, and lay down his load, at the edge of the road." At 5: 40 the song becomes entrancing with a flute solo and chinking percussion, as a low drone intensifies creating an ominous atmosphere. Jackson's sax is tantalising, he is so welcome on these solo albums, adding more depth and emotion. This song is definitely one of the highlights of "What, Now?"

At times Hammill regresses to the darker textures that he seems to revel in on every solo album, in this case the darkest track is the boisterous creepy 'Fed To The Wolves'. Stuart Gordon's violins screech very eerie tones as Hammill unleashes guitar crashes to generate an ethereal soundscape. It goes on a bit too long without enough variation but still holds interest for the most part.

'Enough' is also darker with some eerie music and a low chanting male choir. Hammill lapses into his reflective mode thinking about life and death, "not that, but this, not why, but how, not if, but when, not soon, but now." The soundscape is rather abnormal, sounding dissimilar to anything Hammill has done before.

'The American Girl' also features beautiful sax tones. Hammill's storyteller vocals have more urgency as he sings of the girl who "blew in like a breath of fresh air", and "cut her teeth on the old world" that "seemed perfect". She has a major clash with the culture, and the language, and thus feels confused in this new land. A short song but with interesting content.

The songs are not as memorable as his earlier material but this solo album is still very good with some moments of brilliance and overall I was quite surprised at how consistent this relatively unknown album is.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#613579) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 20, 2012

3 stars This is another one of the "good" albums after 1986, and it is on the more rockier side than some of the dull albums he offered post-86. Maybe it was because he was going through the VDGG back-catalogue remastering the songs for the boxset cunningly entitled "The Box",that there is a ghostly s ... (read more)

Report this review (#78140) | Posted by | Sunday, May 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Isn't it amazing that somebody like Peter Hammill, who is rightfully hailed as one of the greatest lyricists and vocalists of Prog Rock attracts relatively poor attendances in these review pages, especially for his later efforts. Perhaps the good man is just too productive, which makes it hard ... (read more)

Report this review (#18780) | Posted by | Friday, October 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PETER HAMMILL "What , Now? "