FIORE DI METALLO

I Califfi Fiore di Metallo album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy I CALIFFI Music
Studio Album, released in 1973

1. Nel Mio Passato (5:10)
2. Fiore Finto, Fiore Di Metallo (3:35)
3. Alleluia Gente (4:45)
4. Varius (5:10)
5. FelicitÓ, Sorriso E Pianto (4:05)
6. A Piedi Scalzi (3:13)
7. Madre, Domani ... (4:25)
8. Col Vento Nei Capelli (3:48)
9. Campane (5:10)

Search I CALIFFI Fiore di Metallo lyrics

Search I CALIFFI Fiore di Metallo tabs

- Sandro Cinotti / organ, piano, synthesizer
- Vincenzo Amadei / guitars, vocals
- Franco Boldrini / bass, synthesizer, vocals
- Maurizio Boldrini / drums, percussion, vocals

CD Fonit Cetra CDLP 420 (1991)

and to ProgLucky for the last updates

I CALIFFI MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy I CALIFFI Fiore di Metallo Music

Fiore Di MetalloFiore Di Metallo
Ams 2014
Vinyl$30.69
Fiore Di MetalloFiore Di Metallo
Japanese Indies 2004

More places to buy I CALIFFI music online Buy I CALIFFI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for I CALIFFI DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

I CALIFFI Fiore di Metallo ratings distribution

I CALIFFI Fiore di Metallo reviews

Review by Marcelo
3 stars Lots of poppy rythms and just a few progressive (altough magnificent) tracks, but the Italian taste makes it a good album.

"Nel Mio Passato", "Varius" and "Campane" are, precisely, the progressive songs that shows a -potentially- very interesting band. The other tracks are just naive compositions: nice, but a sort of "radio songs". This isn't a dispensable album; however, if you want to know the Italian '70s prog scene, don't start with it.

Send comments to Marcelo (BETA) | Report this review (#18816) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 28, 2003

Review by loserboy
4 stars Severely forgotten Italprog blending excellent analog keyboard shapes & sounds with excellent vocals (sung in Italian) and scrumptious guitar work. "Fiore Di Metallo" contains some highly memorable songs which are played with warmth (mainly due to their lovely keyboard work) and create some wonderful atmospheres. I CALIFFI were way ahead of their time and in a very foreboding sense bring forward many of the sound elements found later in rock. This is a highly complete album in many ways... soft vs loud, symphonic vs harder rock, acoustic vs electric... If you enjoy the classic Italian prog sounds then without a question "Fiore Di Metallo" is essential in your collection.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#18817) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Review by Finnforest
3 stars "Fiore di Metallo" is a respectable rock album from the classic Italian scene. It is somewhat uneven and the band is not among the first tier bands of the genre. That said, there are some nice proggy moments mixed throughout that make it worth investigation for Italian fans. You will find decent vocals, hard rocking guitar, vintage keyboards, competent rhythm section, and some nice touches of acoustic guitar here and there. You will also find several songs that are just dated hard rock and not all that interesting.

The first two tracks would fall into that category of being rather plain bluesy riff-rock. Same with "A Piedi Scalzi" and "Col Vento Nei Capelli" with its annoying sound effect loop. "Felicita" is better, a folksy romantic little number that is nice but certainly not challenging prog. "Madre Domani" is OK too and reminds me of Yes's "A Venture."

Highlights include "Alleluia Gente" with its acoustic guitar and trippy keyboards. "Various" is an instrumental with organs, synths, and piano running rampant with tight percussion, quite good. "Campane" is a wonderful closer and if the whole album were like this song we'd have a real winner on our hands. Another instrumental track, we are treated to nicely layered synths in a somewhat dark sounding environment created by the brooding bass and very structured drumming. Only the lilting piano in the background breaks the tension.

Califfi is recommended to Italian fans who already have a deep collection, it is NOT the place to start for newbies to the genre. There are many many great Italian albums to check out before Califfi. It may also be of interest to fans of vintage keyboards and fans of 70s hard rock in the vein of Free, T Rex, or Deep Purple. There is a Japanese gatefold mini-LP sleeve reissue that features lyrics, three good band photos, and respectable sound quality.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#133091) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Review by erik neuteboom
3 stars This Italian formation made two LP's in the Seventies, this is their second effort, quite a varied one! First dynamic rock songs with pleasant keyboard colouring like Nel Mio Passato (subtle harpsichord and fluent synthesizer flights), Varius (bombastic churh organ sound, organ, synthesizer and a jazzy piano solo) and the compelling Campane (Keith Emerson-like Moog solo). Then more dreamy songs like Alleluia Gente (wonderful Italian vocals and Moog solo), FelicitÓ, Sorriso E Pianto (again wonderful Italian vocals) and Madre, Domani ... (twanging guitar, organ and fluent synthesizer runs). And finally pure rock tracks like Fiore Finto, Fiore Di Metallo (propulsive climate), A Piedi Scalzi (up-tempo with raw guitar sound) and Col Vento Nei Capelli (fiery guitar runs). This is not a classic, there are so many better albums but I love the variety, the typical Seventies atmosphere and .. the Italian vocals! My rating 3,5 stars.

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#144593) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 14, 2007

Review by Todd
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano!
3 stars Great potential!!

This is almost like three different groups coming together to make a good RPI album. There's the awesome progressive style with keyboards galore and shifting rhythms; the pop style with nice, memorable vocal passages and prog flavoring; and the straightforward blues-rock style with its repetetive riffs and unimaginative solos.

Let me start with the three great tracks, the most progressive entries on the album. The opener "Nel Mio Passato" is the most successful song which blends the various styles that the band brings to bear. Nice vocals, nice keyboards, melodic tune, good guitar work. Strong opening! The fourth track, "Varius," is a keyboard driven masterwork that is captivating and exciting. The closing track, "Campane," is a great blend of the above two works, with strong keyboards and good variety. If the entire album were along the lines of these three songs, this album would be considered a classic.

The three pop style songs, with a typical singer/songwriter style, are also excellent. They are "Alleluia Gente," "Felicita, Sorriso e Pianto," and "Madre Domani." As is typical of the italian pop style, they are centered around vocals, usually accompanied by nice acoustic guitar, mellow organ, and fairly straightforward rhythm section. "Alleluia" and "Madre" have really nice prog-inflected sections as well, featuring some excellent melodic keyboard work.

The three straightforward blues-rock songs, "Fiore Finto, Fiore di Metallo," "A Piedi Scalzi," and "Col Vento nei Cappelli," are completely forgettable. I now skip them every time I listen to the album.

Overall, the album isn't very successful at blending their various styles. (That kind of success is frequently seen in the RPI classic works.) The album seems fragmented to me, almost a hodgepodge of different composers with contrasting styles trying to force their will onto the rest of the band (late Beatles, anyone?). The album is good enough for three stars, but it could have been so much more . . .

Send comments to Todd (BETA) | Report this review (#229936) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Another case of an Italian beat group switching to prog over the years, I Califfi were formed in 1965 in Florence, including among the members later Area's guitarist Paolo Tofani and Campo Di Marte's drummer Carlo Marcovecchio.An album entitled ''Cosi ti amo'' (1969) and more than 10 singles was the production of the first formation.By early 70's the only remaining original member was bassist Franco Boldrini.With Vincenzo Amadei on guitar/vocals, Sandro Cinotti on keyboards and Maurizio Boldrini on drums the new I Califfi released the album ''Fiore Di Metallo'' on Fonit in 1973, strongly influenced by the Italian Prog movement.

Unlike other beat groups which tried to blend their pop aesthetics with prog, I Califfi had fully transformed into a Progressive Rock band by the time the album was released with only hints of their past on a couple of tracks.Their sound was somewhat divided between powerful complex guitar-driven compositions and more elaborate keyboard-led arrangements with organ, harpsichord and moog synths on the front.The influence by classic acts like PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI, GLI ALLUMINOGENI or MUSEO ROSENBACH are more than obvious.The more folsky and softer arrangements have a strong PFM influence with good work on synths, organ and acoustic guitars, not to mention the expressive multi-vocal parts.Other pieces are dominated by complicated guitar breaks in a Hard Prog mood, not unlike the lines of CAPITOLO 6 or IBIS.Additionally individual numbers or parts of a composition show some strong influence by E.L.P. in a typical romantic baroque-styled Italian Prog with a sound close to HUNKA MUNKA.Overall the transformation of the band was more than sufficient, blending a variety of styles showing up in 70's Italian Prog, and only a pair of straightforward rockers seems to weaken the whole effort.

I Califfi are still active today, always led by Franco Boldrini, as Franco Dei Califfi, recording and performing around Italy.

A decent album, typical example of 70's Italian Prog, based on the balanced compositions,which will please any fan of specific prog styles, though the lack of originality is evident throughout.Strongly recommended...3.5 stars.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#701650) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 31, 2012

3 stars I Califfi were a beat group in the late Sixties that dissolved leaving only bassist Franco Boldrini. After recruiting a new band, Boldrini and I Califfi were signed to Fonit/Cetra and unleashed this one-album-wonder before disbanding again. Fiore Di Metallo can be categorized under RPI, but ... (read more)

Report this review (#914589) | Posted by coasterzombie | Saturday, February 16, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Sung entirely in Italian, is a progressive and very dense precipitate rhythm. To listen to the album shows that the guitars and keyboards are very present. The training starts in 60 years as a group of beat music, the guitarist will play first in Electric Frankenstein, hard rock group very heavy. ... (read more)

Report this review (#229938) | Posted by Discographia | Tuesday, August 04, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is the only Califfi album in the progressive area. Coming from Florence, they were an underrated beat band in the sixties, but with a new line-up realized "Fiore di metallo". Califfi play a melodic prog, with pleasant lyrics and sporadic hard-rock touch here and there. The album is good e ... (read more)

Report this review (#101862) | Posted by armapo | Wednesday, December 06, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A good early seventies italian prog album, despite the naive lyrics. Good vocals. good variety of songs ( it goes from heavy to soft tunes, always in the classic sound of italian prog bands)and a good sound quality.What a pitty they didn't give us some other albums! ... (read more)

Report this review (#18815) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 11, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of I CALIFFI "Fiore di Metallo"