AS THE FLOWER WITHERS

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Music
Studio Album, released in 1992

1. Silent Dance (2:00)
2. Sear Me (9:00)
3. The Forever People (4:03)
4. The Bitterness & The Bereavement (7:28)
5. Vast Choirs (8:09)
6. The Return Of The Beautiful (12:45)
7. Erotic Literature (5:05)

Search MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers lyrics

- Martin Powell / violin
- Wolfgang Bremmer / horns

Peaceville Records
May 22nd, 1992

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers Music

Peaceville UK 2014
Like Gods Of The SunLike Gods Of The Sun
Extra tracks
Peaceville UK 2006
GRAVEFLOWER 2012 Returning To The Primary Source CD Doom Death My Dying Bride US $13.99 Buy It Now 53m 48s
My Dying Bride, Turn Loose the Swans Audio CD US $11.09 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Vaulted Shadows - My Dying Bride US $12.49 Buy It Now 1h 33m
My Dying Bride, Meisterwerk 1 Audio CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Virgin Black-Requiem-Mezzo Forte(promo cd)My Dying Bride Moonspell US $0.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride, Angel & The Dark River Audio CD US $8.39 Buy It Now 5h 22m
MY DYING BRIDE EMBROIDERED PATCH DOOM DEATH ANATHEMA PARADISE LOST Metal Negro US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 28m
MY DYING BRIDE FOR LIES I SIRE SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 35m
MY DYING BRIDE A LANE OF DEATHLESS KINGS SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 35m
NOVEMBERS DOOM-APHOTIC-CD-doom-death-goth-ghost brigade-my dying bride US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 55m
INNER MISSING-ESCAPISM-CD-doom-death-my dying bride-mourning beloveth US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 36m
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River/Darkest Eyes CD US $18.70 Buy It Now 14h 6m
SHATTERED HOPE 2014 Waters Of Lethe CD Doom Death Ophis My Dying Bride Evoken US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 36m
MY DYING BRIDE - The angel and the dark river (SIGNED/Autographed!!) US $29.99 [0 bids]
ART IN EXILE- S/T CD NEW PROGRESSIVE DARK/GOTHIC METAL OPETH MY DYING BRIDE 2008 US $3.26 Buy It Now 16h 2m
My Dying Bride - Dreadful Hour CD US $20.75 Buy It Now 17h 4m
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE - CDVILEF245 US $18.06 Buy It Now 17h 16m
My Dying Bride : Meisterwerk 1 CD (2008) US $10.18 Buy It Now 17h 17m
My Dying Bride : The Light at the End of the World CD (2008) US $10.55 Buy It Now 17h 18m
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES (CD+DVD) - CDVILEF406X US $27.48 Buy It Now 17h 21m
MY DYING BRIDE - AN ODE TO WOE /CD+DVD/ NEW 2008 US $14.38 Buy It Now 17h 50m
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA 2CD NEW 2011 ???????????????????????????????????? US $12.95 Buy It Now 17h 55m
My Dying Bride 34.788% Complete SEALED (CD) '98 Original 1st Press Mayhem metal US $14.99 Buy It Now 18h 27m
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 2 [CD New] US $10.39 Buy It Now 20h 24m
MY DYING BRIDE the thrash of naked limbs CD (shipping are not 3 $ !!!) US $22.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE symphonaire infernus et spera... CD (shipping are not 3 $ !!!) US $23.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE i am the bloody earth CD (shipping are not 3 $ !!!) US $22.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans (CD, Feb-1994, Futurist/Mayhem Records) US $15.99 Buy It Now 23h
MOONSPELL The Great Silver Eye CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Anathema / Cm'07 US $3.52 [2 bids]
SILENTIUM "Infinita plango vulnera"cd Spikefarm 1999,My dying bride,Yearning US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE DELUXE LTD ED SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT CD BOX SET W/POSTE US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SILENTIUM "Altum"cd Spikefarm 2001,My dying bride,Yearning US $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 [CD New] US $12.23 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River/Darkest Eyes [CD New] US $12.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol [LP, Peaceville Records, NEW] Carcass My Dying Bride US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.07 Buy It Now 1 day
SWALLOW THE SUN - THE MORNING NEVER CAME CD MY DYING BRIDE OPETH US $2.99 [2 bids]
My Dying Bride big cd collection inc rare 3 cd Evinta Doom Metal US $60.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE a map of all our failures VINYL LP RECORD NEW! US $29.98 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 2 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.07 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - Albion (20th Ann Tour) Longsleeve T-shirt - NEW - MEDIUM ONLY US $24.07 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE Introducing Best Of Greatest Hits Double CD NEW & SEALED US $12.70 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - DREADFUL HOUR NEW CD US $23.70 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - ANGEL & THE DARK RIVER / DARKEST EYES (+DVD) NEW CD US $21.13 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 2 CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE A Map Of All Our Failures Official Sew On PATCH New US $7.18 Buy It Now 1 day
SILENT STREAM OF GODLESS ELEGY "Relic Dances" LP my dying bride the gathering US $22.94 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST In Requiem LP Sealed! MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA TIAMAT THERION OPETH US $30.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Line of Deathless Kings (CD,'06,Peaceville) Cardboard Sleeve! US $5.00 [0 bids]
(METAL CD) MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK I (SEALED DOOM) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Official Boxed Mug - MDBMUG01 - My Dying Bride US $11.46 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - A Map Of All Our Failures (NEW CD & DVD) US $24.16 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride As the flower withers cd US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride 34.788% Complete Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville Records US $8.18 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Light At The End Of The World Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.18 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Dreadful Hours Digipack CD 2001 Peaceville US $8.18 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE THE VOICE OF THE WRETCHED SEALED CD NEW US $5.26 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride Songs of Darkness Words of Light Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.18 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA NEW CD US $30.71 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby (Red LP) Opeth, Katatonia, Death, slayer US $100.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Like Gods Of The Sun - 1996 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.38 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS NEW CD US $18.54 Buy It Now 2 days
ALBEZ DUZ DIGI-CD PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE TIAMAT BLACK WIDOW GHOST HUATA US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
SATURNUS Martyre 1stPress Euphonious Rec. 2000 (katatonia my dying bride) US $39.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ALEXANDER GLAVNIY Without Waste Words AUTUMNIA OFFICIUM TRISTE MY DYING BRIDE US $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Onirophagus - Defiler of hope (pro cdr) MY DYING BRIDE AUTOPSY KATATONIA ASPHYX US $5.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Evinta I & Ii [CD New] US $24.90 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride : Evinta CD (2011) US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + FREE BONUSES US $8.06 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE TURN LOOSE THE SWANS + 3 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE 34.788 % COMPLETE + BONUS TRACK SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride GOD IS ALONE 7 1991 VERY RARE LISTENABLE!!!307 of 1000 US $170.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 - NEW CD US $12.13 Buy It Now 3 days
Tiamat CD Prey opeth my dying bride type o negative paradise lost amorphis US $3.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $4.90 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $4.90 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE-An Ode To Woe CD + DVD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $17.92 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE-Like Gods Of The Sun CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $11.63 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE-Meisterwerk 1 CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $10.74 Buy It Now 3 days
Ashes You Leave - The Passage Back of Life CD 1999 SEALED My Dying Bride US $3.00 [0 bids]
HAMFERD Vilst Er Sidsta Fet CD EP NEW/SEALED My Dying Bride Tyr Katatonia Opeth US $17.49 Buy It Now 3 days
WHISPERING GALLERY - Shades of Sorrow DIGI CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $10.99 Buy It Now 3 days
FIRST PRESS OPETH Still Life CD ORG Peaceville 2000 KATATONIA MY DYING BRIDE US $20.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LYCUS Tempest DIGIPAK MOURNFUL CONGREGATION PALLBEARER MY DYING BRIDE ASUNDER US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
AMORPHIS Tuonela G/F LP 2013 anathema my dying bride in flames opeth nightwish US $31.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - The Light At The End Of The World (digipack) (CD, Jan-2004) US $9.49 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA"Pentecost III"cd Peaceville 95,Paradise Lost,My dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light [CD New] US $9.94 Buy It Now 4 days
Onirophagus - Defiler Of Hope (CD new)(Evoken, Funeral, My Dying Bride, Frailty) US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT NEW CD US $17.07 Buy It Now 4 days
beseech - drama, type o negative moonspell darkseed tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
darkseed - spellcraft , type o negative moonspell tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium 1991 Peaceville ORG US $17.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Thrash of Naked Limbs 1993 Peaceville 1st Press ORG anathema US $18.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - I Am the Bloody Earth 1994 Peaceville 1st Press ORG anathema US $9.99 [0 bids]
AMORPHIS - ELEGY CD NEVERMORE ARCH ENEMY TIAMAT MY DYING BRIDE GRAVE ENSLAVED US $1.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride/THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD/New US $21.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Songs:T-shirt - NEW - SMALL ONLY US $26.94 Buy It Now 4 days
Meisterwerk V.2 by My Dying Bride (Digipak, Mar-2004, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $19.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars My Dying Bride are an interesting addition to Prog Archives. Evidently not one that goes without debate, but it isn't so difficult to defend that they have their place here. For sure, they are worthy of your attention for more reasons then just for the mutilated naked ladies on their album covers.

Now this particular album might be an acquired taste for prog fans, this is Doomsday's soundtrack, and as you might expect from such an event, there's nothing here that will make you feel comfortable about it. It's oppressive, heavy, droning and nihilistic. But there are elements that hint at an artistic vision that reaches far beyond normal metal limitations. The violin for instance adds an interesting angle to this dark well of depression, the keyboards add a symphonic flavour and most of all the song writing is ambitious and often adventurous, alternating between slow dirges and fast blast beats.

After the classical romantic intro that reminds me of the late romantic German composers, Sear Me kicks off this doom beast with a solemn drum pace and beautiful lyrical guitar leads complemented by violins. It's a great harmonious and melodic start of a crushing track. Heavily reverbed death vocals foretell that this album won't be an easy ride. And indeed, after a little under three minutes, MDB shift the gear to a blast beat infested death metal attack. Aaron spews out Latin lyrics with a vile hate and disgust. This thunderous track closes off by repeating the opening theme.

The Forever People is another insanely intense head-banging doom fest. The band plays tightly through the uncompromising material. MDB is a skilled unit, nothing like the rather sloppy performances on the first albums of Anathema and Paradise Lost.

15 minutes in and I'm completely won over into this filthy decadence. But then comes the unworldly beauty of The Bitterness and the Breavement, a spine-chilling violin leads through this tormented doom sludge. The guitars are tuned down to levels where melody becomes barely audible; the pace is so slow that the repeating pattern becomes hard to follow. Halfway in, they give the final blow to the last remainders of your resistance against so much negativism. A short flare of deadly chromatic riffing and Aaron's inhuman throat are sure to leave you alone and bewildered amidst the ruins of civilisation. But then comes that romantic violin theme again, almost teasing us with hope that there is life after death.

I'll better leave the three remaining tracks for someone else to dissect into their smallest possible pieces. Suffice to say that Vast Choirs has a loose structure that can not be discarded for being just metal. This is post-metal, assembling an entirely new kind of music out of the remains of what one was heavy metal. The Return of the Beautiful goes a step further into deconstructing traditional rock structures. Melody and recognizable repeating patterns give way to a raw, primitive and darkest emotion. Again, MDB adds that symphonic flavour with a sad lyrical theme on something that sounds like a horn. Erotic Literature ends on a majestic, almost heroic war marching pace.

Rating this album makes no sense. This music can as easily serve as a showcase for one star abomination as it can be justified as 'essential in any music collection', if only as a testimony of a musical journey into to the darkest and most foul corners of the human soul.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#260930) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 15, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars As The Flower Withers is the debut full-length studio album by UK doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The band had been signed to the Peaceville Records label on the grounds of their now rare God Is Alone (1991) EP and subsequently released the classic Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium EP in 1992. As The Flower Withers would see My Dying Bride proving that they had what it took to make a full album of quality material.

I remember listening to As The Flower Withers with a friend in his room back in 1992. He had the album on LP and I was imidiately sold to the extremely heavy, dark and melancholic music that hit me when he put that LP on. I got a cassette copy I listened to for a couple of months until I had money enough to buy my own copy ( yep I went to secondary school in those days and the purchase of just one album meant hard work). It was actually one of my very first ( if not the first) CD purchases as I had been a vinyl only man ( well boy to be exact) up until then. So there´s kind of a nostalgic feeling that clings to this CD for me.

The music on the album is doom/ death metal. The foundation of extremely heavy distorted guitars and a slow and heavy rythm section is complimented by growling vocals and the excellent choice of adding a violin to some of the songs. The atmosphere is gloomy and melancholic and Aaron Stainthorpe´s poetic lyrics really add to the dark experience ( some might find them pretentious but I think they suit the music well). As it turns out the album is a bit of a mixed bag for me though. There are 7 tracks on the album and only 4 of them really make my blood boil. The classical intro track Silent Dance is the perfect entrance to the album. Just beautiful. Then comes Sear Me which is a classic in My Dying Bride´s discography. It´s such an epic and majestic track that one. I still get goosebumps everytime I listen to that song. The Forever People follows and it´s with songs like this that the album fails to captivate me. It´s a pretty standard mid-paced death metal track and if I want to listen to something like that I can think of a dozen other bands who write and play that type of music much more convincingly. The two other tracks in this vein on the album are Erotic Literature and Vast Choirs. The latter mentioned also appeared in a premature version on the Towards the Sinister (1990) demo. I´m not sure but I seem to remember that Erotic Literature was a CD bonus track which didn´t appear on the original LP. Don´t hang me if it´s wrong though. None of the three more regular doom/ death metal tracks are bad but they are sub par to the rest of the songs on the album. Out of the 7 tracks on the album I guess I only lack to mention The Bitterness & The Bereavement and The Return Of The Beautiful. In addition to Sear Me those two are the highlights on the album. Crushingly heavy, dark, melancholic and epic sounding doom/ death metal tracks. And again that violin just puts the icing on the cake.

The production is good for the time. Heavy and dark.

I´m a bit biased towards As The Flower Withers because of the three sub par tracks and I can´t bring myself to give the full 4 star rating here even though I greatly enjoy the rest of the album. So for now a 3.5 star rating will do ( I might upgrade this to a 4 star rating in time). It´s certainly a classic album but not exactly a flawless one when I listen to it with today´s ears.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#263881) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Back in 1992, hearing such a bleak, sad and beautiful intro track like Silent Dance would cause me to assume one thing...that I'm about to be bombarded with blastbeats, guitars roaring in low C and ogres growling about feasting on humans. A good portion of death metal albums had that sort of "intro" situation going on:

Intro starts..."wow this sounds like it's going to be a dark gothic ambient album." Intro ends, death metal starts..."Whoa! Never saw that coming...this is a really loud album after all!"

This album genuinely surprised me in that the first 'main' song, Sear Me, starts off with a sluggish drum beat before morose guitar melodies shamble in to join the sorrow. The vocals are pretty much death growls throughout the album, and there are some blastbeats found periodically in some of these tracks, including Sear Me. The band was considered part of a doom/goth metal revival, but personally I would consider this particular effort more of an avante garde death metal album due to retaining many aspects of typical death metal while adding a lot of strange and interesting things to the mix.

The use of violins, keyboards and even woodwinds really helps provide an extra layer of atmosphere during the slower sections, particularly that oboe in The Return Of The Beautiful which just sounds utterly suicidal and depressed. The lyrics are better written than the vast majority of other death metal lyrics in the early 90s, which really isn't saying much, but it does add to the avante garde effect.

There's variety to these compositions and they are structured quite well, although a couple of 'fast drumming parts' seemed added just to remind the listener that My Dying Bride is still a death metal band. The Forever People is a straight up death metal song which was kind of a cool bridge between the gloomier Sear Me and the apt titled The Bitterness & The Bereavement.

It's definitely a noteworthy album as it helped kickstart a whole new generation of doom metal escapades, although with Aaron primarily just growling throughout this album, it's more pf an acquired taste than some of their later offerings where 'clean' singing becomes the dominant voice of the material.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#438799) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 25, 2011

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars Perhaps the most classic album of the goth romanticed metal group, and was also very much played at the teenage parties I went passing out. The beginning's cinematopic intro gives powerful first impression, and sets wonderful tone for the upcoming songs. The most successful compositions like the iconic "Sear Me" really reach fine spheres of grandiose power, shimmering from melodically solemn themes, repeated with hypnotic power on long structured compositions. "The Return of The Beautiful" stands as the most convincing song of the album, exploring furthest the possibilities on song writing, adventuring on catacombs of aural moods, and also implementing yet deeper violins, synths and audio effects as supporting elements enhancing the narrative characteristics of the composition. The overall rhythmic solutions or instrumental arrangements are not very complex, guitar driven and partly in Latin growled pieces focusing mostly to atmospherics. Very slow and vast riff swamps find fine dynamic counterparts from more rapid sequences. With the faster drive the band manages to conjure pleasant catalysts for catharsis also from slightly lesser magnificent tunes, like on "Forever People" or "Erotic Literature". Most possibly due my own age I have grown to like these late 80's & early 90's heavy metal tones on the sounds, and growing up with Carcass, Napalm Death, Sepultura, Autopsy and the other rock'n'roll groups for the depression era suburb kids allows this larger capacity of enjoyment. There are few poorer moments on the album lowering slightly my overall appreciation for this groundbreaking record. Some tracks like "Vast Choirs" has in my opinion lost some rawness and originality from the original demo take, so I consider that always working of some things further won't make the outcome appear better. But on the whole I believe the work here lead towards yet more successful long-player album following this record.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#872762) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 07, 2012

4 stars This, the debut album from My Dying Bride set a new standard in doom metal. Together with Candlemass, Anathema and Paradise Lost; My Dying Bride kickstarted doom metal again. Of these three bands, Candlemass were more a Black Sabbath clone, Anathema ventured into indie rock and Paradise Lost w ... (read more)

Report this review (#258685) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, December 31, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "As The Flower Withers"