AS THE FLOWER WITHERS

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Music
Studio Album, released in 1992

1. Silent Dance (2:00)
2. Sear Me (9:00)
3. The Forever People (4:03)
4. The Bitterness & The Bereavement (7:28)
5. Vast Choirs (8:09)
6. The Return Of The Beautiful (12:45)
7. Erotic Literature (5:05)

Search MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers lyrics

- Martin Powell / violin
- Wolfgang Bremmer / horns

Peaceville Records
May 22nd, 1992

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers Music

Peaceville UK 2009
34.788% Complete34.788% Complete
Extra tracks · Remastered
Peaceville UK 2004
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River/Darkest Eyes [CD New] US $14.20 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Line Of Deathless Kings by My Dying Bride (CD, Sep-2006, Peaceville Records... US $45.00 Buy It Now 2h 21m
THE PROPHECY Salvation DIGI CD My Dying Bride Anatham Paradise Lost US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 54m
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 2 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.81 Buy It Now 4h 28m
MY DYING BRIDE a map of all our failures VINYL LP RECORD NEW! US $29.98 Buy It Now 4h 47m
MY DYING BRIDE - DREADFUL HOUR NEW CD US $24.72 Buy It Now 4h 58m
MY DYING BRIDE - ANGEL & THE DARK RIVER / DARKEST EYES (+DVD) NEW CD US $22.04 Buy It Now 5h 5m
MY DYING BRIDE Introducing Best Of Greatest Hits Double CD NEW & SEALED US $13.22 Buy It Now 10h 7m
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 2 CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 11h 27m
MY DYING BRIDE A Map Of All Our Failures Official Sew On PATCH New US $7.49 Buy It Now 11h 56m
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 (2001) - New - Compact Disc US $12.02 Buy It Now 13h 40m
EARTHEN GRAVE 2LP MY DYING BRIDE PALE DIVINE WITCHSORROW TROUBLE ARKHAM WITCH US $24.29 Buy It Now 15h 37m
Funeral Mourning Drown in Solitude LP VINYL My Dying Bride Burzum Elysian Blaze US $74.99 [0 bids]
16h
FROM BEYOND - Endtime CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA RARE US $12.99 Buy It Now 16h 14m
MYTHOPOEIA - Golden Leaf Of Oak CD Metal Breath 2001 MY DYING BRIDE OCTOBER TIDE US $19.99 Buy It Now 16h 36m
My Dying Bride - A Map Of All Our Failures (NEW CD & DVD) US $25.15 Buy It Now 18h 26m
Official Boxed Mug - MDBMUG01 - My Dying Bride US $11.93 Buy It Now 18h 46m
BILOCATE Sudden Death Syndrome CD MY DYING BRIDE Paradise Lost OPETH US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 46m
My Dying Bride - Dreadful Hours [CD New] US $11.42 Buy It Now 19h 38m
GARDENIAN SOULBURNER PROMO CD 1999 NEAR MINT OOP HTF MY DYING BRIDE LEAVES EYES US $15.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE evinta 2011 - WOVEN SEW ON PATCH official merchandise US $5.10 Buy It Now 21h 8m
My Dying Bride As the flower withers cd US $8.99 Buy It Now 21h 23m
MY DYING BRIDE THE VOICE OF THE WRETCHED SEALED CD NEW US $8.77 Buy It Now 22h 49m
Funeral Tristesse 12" Vinyl Double LP (My Dying Bride, Thergothon, Evoken) US $46.44 Buy It Now 23h 9m
The Throat of Winter [Single] by Opeth (Katatonia, Anathema, My Dying Bride) US $22.00 [1 bids]
Anathema A Vision Od A Dying Embrace (DVD) MY DYING BRIDE OPETH PARADISE LOST US $1.50 [1 bids]
My Dying Bride Fore Darkest Eyes (DVD) ANTHEMA PATADISE LOST TIAMAT DEATH US $1.50 [1 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby (Red LP) Opeth, Katatonia, Death, slayer US $100.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST - Lost Paradise CD Peaceville ORG anathema my dying bride morgion US $3.00 [1 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Gothic 1991 Peaceville 1Press anathema my dying bride morgion US $7.00 [1 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Draconian Times 1995 Relativity anathema my dying bride morgion US $3.00 [0 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Shades of God 1992 Music for Nations anathema my dying bride US $5.00 [0 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Icon 1993 Metal Blade anathema my dying bride arcane sun morgion US $5.00 [0 bids]
FOREST STREAM - Tears of Mortal Solitude 2003 Earache anathema my dying bride US $3.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Like Gods Of The Sun - 1996 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.68 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES NEW VINYL US $44.14 Buy It Now 1 day
SEVENCHURCH - BLEAK INSIGHT Extremely Rare English Doom Cassette My Dying Bride US $7.90 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS NEW CD US $19.34 Buy It Now 1 day
ALBEZ DUZ DIGI-CD PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE TIAMAT BLACK WIDOW GHOST HUATA US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ALEXANDER GLAVNIY Without Waste Words AUTUMNIA OFFICIUM TRISTE MY DYING BRIDE US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride : Evinta CD (2011) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - We are the Bible (Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost) US $25.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + FREE BONUSES US $8.06 Buy It Now 1 day
NEX zero CD SEALED candlemass my dying bride katatonia autopsy anathema doom US $9.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - I AM THE BLOODY EARTH UK CD SINGLE W/B-SIDES DEATH/DOOM METAL US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
And Here I Lie "Regrets" RARE/OOP Doom,Thorns of the Carrion,My Dying Bride US $28.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Inhuman ?- Foreshadow (Moonspell, Heavenwood, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost) US $2.50 [0 bids]
Anathema - Deep (My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Paradise Lost) US $1.99 [0 bids]
CONFUSION CORPORATION Demo 94 My Dying Bride Prophecy of Doom US $9.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $5.10 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $5.10 Buy It Now 2 days
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down four-fold digipak (Opeth, My Dying Bride) US $6.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE "Like Gods Of The Sun" (1st press,MFN,VERY RARE!!!) Phlebotomized US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
beseech - drama, type o negative moonspell darkseed tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
darkseed - spellcraft , type o negative moonspell tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE-An Ode To Woe CD + DVD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $18.70 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE-Like Gods Of The Sun CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $12.14 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE-Meisterwerk 1 CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $11.20 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - the Dreadful Hours / Live in Krakow Vol. 2 (Agat Rec ) Russian US $17.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Novembers Doom CD 2014 Bled White type o negative opeth my dying bride US $6.50 [2 bids]
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 (CD, 2000, Cacop) [UK RELEASE] NEW! SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
HAMFERD Vilst Er Sidsta Fet CD EP NEW/SEALED My Dying Bride Tyr Katatonia Opeth US $17.49 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA Fine Day to Exit CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Katatonia Tiamat US $8.49 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma CD Digi +Bonus My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Katatonia US $8.49 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST As I Die CD EP My Dying Bride Anathema Katatonia Tiamat Moonspell! US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA Eternity CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Katatonia Tiamat Moonspell US $8.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - The Silent Enigma 2003 (My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Katatonia) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here (Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride) US $14.99 [0 bids]
Type O Negative - The Least Worst Digipak (My Dying Bride, Moonspell, Katatonia) US $15.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 - NEW CD US $8.87 Buy It Now 2 days
FIRST PRESS OPETH Still Life CD ORG Peaceville 2000 KATATONIA MY DYING BRIDE US $20.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LYCUS Tempest DIGIPAK MOURNFUL CONGREGATION PALLBEARER MY DYING BRIDE ASUNDER US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - The Light At The End Of The World (digipack) (CD, Jan-2004) US $9.49 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - The Angel And The Dark River / ORG 96 Peaceville 2CD US $15.00 [2 bids]
THE GARDNERZ The System Of Nature CD My Dying Bride Anathema Paradise Lost US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE GARDNERZ It All Fades CD My Dying Bride Anathema Paradise Lost Darkthrone US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SOMNUS RARE DEMO 1997 MANTICORE INQUISITION MY DYING BRIDE BEHEMOTH US $6.66 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE**ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $25.50 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE "The Angel & The Dark River" OOP Rare Tape (1995) Anathema Opeth US $0.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - SINAMORATA 2005 PEACEVILLE DVD [Shape of Despair, Skepticism] US $3.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA"Pentecost III"cd Peaceville 95,Paradise Lost,My dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathena - Eternity JAP EDITION My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Opeth, Katatonia US $20.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light [CD New] US $10.57 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT NEW CD US $17.81 Buy It Now 3 days
Songs of Darkness, Words of Light [Digipak] by My Dying Bride (CD, Feb-2006,... US $7.64 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride : A Map Of All Our Failures CD (2012) US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Dark Tranquility - The Minds I [ LP, Century Media, IMPORT, NEW ] My Dying Bride US $22.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA NEW CD US $24.35 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE:Songs:T-shirt NEW:MEDIUM ONLY US $28.11 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE:Songs:T-shirt NEW:SMALL ONLY US $28.11 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE:Trinity:T-shirt NEW:MEDIUM ONLY US $28.11 Buy It Now 3 days
Onirophagus - Defiler Of Hope (CD new)(Evoken, Funeral, My Dying Bride, Frailty) US $7.77 Buy It Now 3 days
~ MY DYING BRIDE - Evinta ~ MUSIC 2 CD's US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride *GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD - ( 49 Songs ) US $6.85 [0 bids]
Heavenwood - Diva Russian verison (Moonspell, My Dying Bride, Before the Rain) US $1.00 [0 bids]
HEDON CRIES-HATE INTO GRIEF (2003 GR DOOM/DEATH DARK TRANQUILLITY MY DYING BRIDE US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Opeth - Morningrise (Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Agalloch, Anathema) US $3.99 [0 bids]
SCREEN PRINTED BACK PATCH MY DYING BRIDE US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Make it Right (Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Porcupine Tree) US $11.90 [0 bids]
Anathema - Alternative 4 JAP EDITION (My Dying Bride, Opeth, Katatonia) US $6.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars My Dying Bride are an interesting addition to Prog Archives. Evidently not one that goes without debate, but it isn't so difficult to defend that they have their place here. For sure, they are worthy of your attention for more reasons then just for the mutilated naked ladies on their album covers.

Now this particular album might be an acquired taste for prog fans, this is Doomsday's soundtrack, and as you might expect from such an event, there's nothing here that will make you feel comfortable about it. It's oppressive, heavy, droning and nihilistic. But there are elements that hint at an artistic vision that reaches far beyond normal metal limitations. The violin for instance adds an interesting angle to this dark well of depression, the keyboards add a symphonic flavour and most of all the song writing is ambitious and often adventurous, alternating between slow dirges and fast blast beats.

After the classical romantic intro that reminds me of the late romantic German composers, Sear Me kicks off this doom beast with a solemn drum pace and beautiful lyrical guitar leads complemented by violins. It's a great harmonious and melodic start of a crushing track. Heavily reverbed death vocals foretell that this album won't be an easy ride. And indeed, after a little under three minutes, MDB shift the gear to a blast beat infested death metal attack. Aaron spews out Latin lyrics with a vile hate and disgust. This thunderous track closes off by repeating the opening theme.

The Forever People is another insanely intense head-banging doom fest. The band plays tightly through the uncompromising material. MDB is a skilled unit, nothing like the rather sloppy performances on the first albums of Anathema and Paradise Lost.

15 minutes in and I'm completely won over into this filthy decadence. But then comes the unworldly beauty of The Bitterness and the Breavement, a spine-chilling violin leads through this tormented doom sludge. The guitars are tuned down to levels where melody becomes barely audible; the pace is so slow that the repeating pattern becomes hard to follow. Halfway in, they give the final blow to the last remainders of your resistance against so much negativism. A short flare of deadly chromatic riffing and Aaron's inhuman throat are sure to leave you alone and bewildered amidst the ruins of civilisation. But then comes that romantic violin theme again, almost teasing us with hope that there is life after death.

I'll better leave the three remaining tracks for someone else to dissect into their smallest possible pieces. Suffice to say that Vast Choirs has a loose structure that can not be discarded for being just metal. This is post-metal, assembling an entirely new kind of music out of the remains of what one was heavy metal. The Return of the Beautiful goes a step further into deconstructing traditional rock structures. Melody and recognizable repeating patterns give way to a raw, primitive and darkest emotion. Again, MDB adds that symphonic flavour with a sad lyrical theme on something that sounds like a horn. Erotic Literature ends on a majestic, almost heroic war marching pace.

Rating this album makes no sense. This music can as easily serve as a showcase for one star abomination as it can be justified as 'essential in any music collection', if only as a testimony of a musical journey into to the darkest and most foul corners of the human soul.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#260930) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 15, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars As The Flower Withers is the debut full-length studio album by UK doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The band had been signed to the Peaceville Records label on the grounds of their now rare God Is Alone (1991) EP and subsequently released the classic Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium EP in 1992. As The Flower Withers would see My Dying Bride proving that they had what it took to make a full album of quality material.

I remember listening to As The Flower Withers with a friend in his room back in 1992. He had the album on LP and I was imidiately sold to the extremely heavy, dark and melancholic music that hit me when he put that LP on. I got a cassette copy I listened to for a couple of months until I had money enough to buy my own copy ( yep I went to secondary school in those days and the purchase of just one album meant hard work). It was actually one of my very first ( if not the first) CD purchases as I had been a vinyl only man ( well boy to be exact) up until then. So there´s kind of a nostalgic feeling that clings to this CD for me.

The music on the album is doom/ death metal. The foundation of extremely heavy distorted guitars and a slow and heavy rythm section is complimented by growling vocals and the excellent choice of adding a violin to some of the songs. The atmosphere is gloomy and melancholic and Aaron Stainthorpe´s poetic lyrics really add to the dark experience ( some might find them pretentious but I think they suit the music well). As it turns out the album is a bit of a mixed bag for me though. There are 7 tracks on the album and only 4 of them really make my blood boil. The classical intro track Silent Dance is the perfect entrance to the album. Just beautiful. Then comes Sear Me which is a classic in My Dying Bride´s discography. It´s such an epic and majestic track that one. I still get goosebumps everytime I listen to that song. The Forever People follows and it´s with songs like this that the album fails to captivate me. It´s a pretty standard mid-paced death metal track and if I want to listen to something like that I can think of a dozen other bands who write and play that type of music much more convincingly. The two other tracks in this vein on the album are Erotic Literature and Vast Choirs. The latter mentioned also appeared in a premature version on the Towards the Sinister (1990) demo. I´m not sure but I seem to remember that Erotic Literature was a CD bonus track which didn´t appear on the original LP. Don´t hang me if it´s wrong though. None of the three more regular doom/ death metal tracks are bad but they are sub par to the rest of the songs on the album. Out of the 7 tracks on the album I guess I only lack to mention The Bitterness & The Bereavement and The Return Of The Beautiful. In addition to Sear Me those two are the highlights on the album. Crushingly heavy, dark, melancholic and epic sounding doom/ death metal tracks. And again that violin just puts the icing on the cake.

The production is good for the time. Heavy and dark.

I´m a bit biased towards As The Flower Withers because of the three sub par tracks and I can´t bring myself to give the full 4 star rating here even though I greatly enjoy the rest of the album. So for now a 3.5 star rating will do ( I might upgrade this to a 4 star rating in time). It´s certainly a classic album but not exactly a flawless one when I listen to it with today´s ears.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#263881) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Back in 1992, hearing such a bleak, sad and beautiful intro track like Silent Dance would cause me to assume one thing...that I'm about to be bombarded with blastbeats, guitars roaring in low C and ogres growling about feasting on humans. A good portion of death metal albums had that sort of "intro" situation going on:

Intro starts..."wow this sounds like it's going to be a dark gothic ambient album." Intro ends, death metal starts..."Whoa! Never saw that coming...this is a really loud album after all!"

This album genuinely surprised me in that the first 'main' song, Sear Me, starts off with a sluggish drum beat before morose guitar melodies shamble in to join the sorrow. The vocals are pretty much death growls throughout the album, and there are some blastbeats found periodically in some of these tracks, including Sear Me. The band was considered part of a doom/goth metal revival, but personally I would consider this particular effort more of an avante garde death metal album due to retaining many aspects of typical death metal while adding a lot of strange and interesting things to the mix.

The use of violins, keyboards and even woodwinds really helps provide an extra layer of atmosphere during the slower sections, particularly that oboe in The Return Of The Beautiful which just sounds utterly suicidal and depressed. The lyrics are better written than the vast majority of other death metal lyrics in the early 90s, which really isn't saying much, but it does add to the avante garde effect.

There's variety to these compositions and they are structured quite well, although a couple of 'fast drumming parts' seemed added just to remind the listener that My Dying Bride is still a death metal band. The Forever People is a straight up death metal song which was kind of a cool bridge between the gloomier Sear Me and the apt titled The Bitterness & The Bereavement.

It's definitely a noteworthy album as it helped kickstart a whole new generation of doom metal escapades, although with Aaron primarily just growling throughout this album, it's more pf an acquired taste than some of their later offerings where 'clean' singing becomes the dominant voice of the material.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#438799) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 25, 2011

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars Perhaps the most classic album of the goth romanticed metal group, and was also very much played at the teenage parties I went passing out. The beginning's cinematopic intro gives powerful first impression, and sets wonderful tone for the upcoming songs. The most successful compositions like the iconic "Sear Me" really reach fine spheres of grandiose power, shimmering from melodically solemn themes, repeated with hypnotic power on long structured compositions. "The Return of The Beautiful" stands as the most convincing song of the album, exploring furthest the possibilities on song writing, adventuring on catacombs of aural moods, and also implementing yet deeper violins, synths and audio effects as supporting elements enhancing the narrative characteristics of the composition. The overall rhythmic solutions or instrumental arrangements are not very complex, guitar driven and partly in Latin growled pieces focusing mostly to atmospherics. Very slow and vast riff swamps find fine dynamic counterparts from more rapid sequences. With the faster drive the band manages to conjure pleasant catalysts for catharsis also from slightly lesser magnificent tunes, like on "Forever People" or "Erotic Literature". Most possibly due my own age I have grown to like these late 80's & early 90's heavy metal tones on the sounds, and growing up with Carcass, Napalm Death, Sepultura, Autopsy and the other rock'n'roll groups for the depression era suburb kids allows this larger capacity of enjoyment. There are few poorer moments on the album lowering slightly my overall appreciation for this groundbreaking record. Some tracks like "Vast Choirs" has in my opinion lost some rawness and originality from the original demo take, so I consider that always working of some things further won't make the outcome appear better. But on the whole I believe the work here lead towards yet more successful long-player album following this record.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#872762) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 07, 2012

4 stars This, the debut album from My Dying Bride set a new standard in doom metal. Together with Candlemass, Anathema and Paradise Lost; My Dying Bride kickstarted doom metal again. Of these three bands, Candlemass were more a Black Sabbath clone, Anathema ventured into indie rock and Paradise Lost w ... (read more)

Report this review (#258685) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, December 31, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "As The Flower Withers"