AS THE FLOWER WITHERS

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Music
Studio Album, released in 1992

1. Silent Dance (2:00)
2. Sear Me (9:00)
3. The Forever People (4:03)
4. The Bitterness & The Bereavement (7:28)
5. Vast Choirs (8:09)
6. The Return Of The Beautiful (12:45)
7. Erotic Literature (5:05)

Search MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers lyrics

- Martin Powell / violin
- Wolfgang Bremmer / horns

Peaceville Records
May 22nd, 1992

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers Music

Peaceville 2003
Angel & The Dark RiverAngel & The Dark River
Remastered · Extra tracks
Peaceville UK 2003
MY DYING BRIDE "Trinity" (1st press,VERY RARE!!!) Phlebotomized,Saturnus US $16.99 Buy It Now 34m 42s
My Dying Bride-A line of deathless kings-CD BOX-2006-Peaceville-used US $13.19 Buy It Now 1h 31m
KATATONIA FOR FUNERALS TO COME CD 1995 AV009 anathema my dying bride opeth US $26.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 3h 39m
My Dying Bride - Trinity - Polish Release US $11.00 Buy It Now 6h 55m
MY DYING BRIDE A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES BEANIE SKI HAT US $20.32 Buy It Now 7h 53m
HEDON CRIES - Affliction's Fiction (CD 2007) Anathema My Dying Bride Saturnus US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 11m
PARADISE LOST Icon LIMITED DIGI 1993 Music For Nations My Dying Bride Anathema US $55.00 Buy It Now 9h 8m
ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma CD 1995 GLOBUS My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Gathering US $39.00 Buy It Now 9h 8m
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR DARKEST EYES - *NEW DVD* *SEALED* US $7.57 Buy It Now 10h 29m
3 BOX SET FROM:MY DYING BRIDE PARADISE LOST KATATONIA US $89.99 Buy It Now 10h 54m
MY DYING BRIDE ANGEL & DARK RIVER SPECIAL UKR. EDITION ODYSSEY DOOM METAL US $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 53m
MY DYING BRIDE FOR LIES I SIRE SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $19.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE A LANE OF DEATHLESS KINGS SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $19.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE MY BODY A FUNERAL WOVEN PATCH US $5.50 Buy It Now 16h
beseech - drama, type o negative moonspell darkseed tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
darkseed - spellcraft , type o negative moonspell tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Serenades + Extra Tracks CD 1993 Peaceville/Futurist my dying bride US $5.00 [1 bids]
ANATHEMA Eternity CD Digipak doom metal goth katatonia my dying bride prog US $3.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Judgement CD goth katatonia my dying bride prog rock pink floyd US $3.28 [2 bids]
My DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers CD Peaceville (CDVILE 32) (5020157103220) US $10.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE Turn Loose The Swans CD 1993 Peaceville (CDVILE 39) 5020157103923 US $10.00 [0 bids]
And Here I Lie "Regrets" RARE/OOP Doom,Thorns of the Carrion,My Dying Bride US $28.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES - NEW CD - RARE !!! SEALED US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KERRANG-PROMO CD-SEPULTURA+KORN MIXES-SYSTEM OF A DOWN-GARBAGE-MY DYING BRIDE+VA US $3.00 [0 bids]
Paradise Lost-S/T Self Titled RARE CD 2005 BMG Anathema My Dying Bride style US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride-Meisterwerk 1 Digipak US $40.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Trinity CD 2004 doom collection Peaceville US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Evinta 2CD 2011 digibook symphonic doom Peaceville US $13.95 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - A Map of All Our Failures CD 2012 doom Peaceville US $13.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE PATCH 2 US $5.07 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE "The Angel & The Dark River" OOP Rare Tape (1995) Anathema Opeth US $0.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE logo white/black SWEATBAND official merchandise US $8.46 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE logo LANYARD official licensed merchandise US $8.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Songs of Darkness, Words of Light - My Dying Bride (CD Only) No Art Read Listing US $0.01 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 2 [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $7.64 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - LIKE GODS OF THE SUN - BONUS TRACKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.83 Buy It Now 1 day
MOURNING BELOVETH-THE SULLEN SULCUS-CD-my dying bride US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
WHEN NOTHING REMAINS Thy Dark Serenity BLACK #/400 My Dying Bride Uaral Amorphis US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS - NEW CD US $19.62 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788% COMPLETE - BONUS TRACK (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.83 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE NEW CD US $24.39 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST - Shades of God 1992 Music for Nations anathema my dying bride US $3.00 [1 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Draconian Times 1995 Relativity anathema my dying bride morgion US $3.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride *GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD - ( 49 Songs ) US $4.95 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA T-SHIRT MY DYING BRIDE CATHEDRAL TIAMAT THERION KATATONIA ANTIMATTER US $27.99 Buy It Now 2 days
OPETH TANK TOP T-SHIRT ANATHEMA MY DYING BRIDE BLOODBATH KATATONIA TRISTANIA US $25.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride ( Girlie shirt ) Paradise Lost Tiamat Swallow the Sun Draconian US $26.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE I Am The Bloody Earth RARE 1994 OOP UK CD Single Ex/Ex Vile44TCD US $27.10 Buy It Now 2 days
Tiamat SCREEN PRINTED BACK PATCH Lucyfire Paradise Lost Moonspell My Dying Bride US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA GIRLIE SHIRT -MY DYING BRIDE SHAPE OF DESPAIR PARADISE LOST CANDLEMASS US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CATHEDRAL T-SHIRT MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA LAKE OF TEARS TIAMAT PARADISE LOST US $26.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE Turn Loose The Swans 3 Bonus Tracks CD (New) US $18.76 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA - CDVILEF324 US $13.30 Buy It Now 2 days
my dying bride i am the bloody earth ep cd 1994 US $11.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - 34.788 Complete [CD New] US $12.23 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [CD New] US $12.12 Buy It Now 2 days
Like Gods of the Sun by MY DYING BRIDE (Original CD, Made in USA) US $5.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire [CD New] US $14.22 Buy It Now 2 days
The Angel and the Dark River by MY DYING BRIDE 1995 (Original CD, Made in USA) US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Light at the end of the World by MY DYING BRIDE 1999 ( CD, Made in England) US $4.99 [0 bids]
FIERCE RECORDINGS RARE PROMO CD-MY DYING BRIDE-PARADISE LOST-OVERDOSE-WITHSTAND+ US $3.00 [0 bids]
Trinity by MY DYING BRIDE 1995 (Original CD, Made in USA) US $5.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride Voice of the Wretched PROMO (CD, 2002) Peaceville metal doom US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Onirophagus - Defiler of hope (pro cdr) MY DYING BRIDE AUTOPSY KATATONIA ASPHYX US $5.99 [0 bids]
Turn Loose the Swans Bonus Tracks Digipak My Dying Bride CD DEATH DOOM METAL US $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride The Angel and the Dark River cd sealed US $21.24 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS (180GM) NEW VINYL US $55.84 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ORGAN FANZINE ISSUE 148 JAN 2006 - NINA HAGEN - LIARS - MY DYING BRIDE US $15.23 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: Turn Loose The Swans Special Edition 2 CD Set 2013 Digibook NEW US $15.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Paradise Lost - Tragic Illusion 25 10" M LP Green Vinyl + CD My Dying Bride US $14.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans CD ORG PEACEVILLE/FIERCE US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE KNELL - Harm (CD 2007) Doom Death Metal Esoteric Draconian My Dying Bride US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VERITATE-The rise of Hatröss LP/katatonia/paradise lost/my dying bride/voivod US $15.99 [0 bids]
PARADISE LOST just say words ORIG VINYL LP (1997) my dying bride katatonia US $19.99 [0 bids]
NEX-ZERO-CD-doom-my dying bride-anathema-watain-nominon US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
HEDON CRIES-HATE INTO GRIEF (2003 GR DOOM/DEATH DARK TRANQUILLITY MY DYING BRIDE US $2.99 [0 bids]
My dying bride - like gods of the sun LP first press VILE 65 US $125.00 Buy It Now 3 days
FUNERAL To Mourn Is a Virtue CD, Esoteric My Dying Bride Katatonia Skepticism US $7.99 [0 bids]
VALLENFYRE SPLINTERS LMTD DIGI NEW PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE ASPHYX AUTOPSY US $12.99 [0 bids]
As the Flower Withers by My Dying Bride (CD, 1992, Vile/Peaceville/Fierce) US $8.95 Buy It Now 3 days
MORGAIN Abandoned In The Forest... CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Kathatonia US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose the Swans US $12.69 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - A Map of All Our Failures US $12.92 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES - CDVILEF407 US $19.54 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [Vinyl New] US $43.39 Buy It Now 3 days
COLD COLOURS-COLD COLOURS (2013) US DARK METAL ROTTING CHRIST MY DYING BRIDE US $3.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [3 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $45.59 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride live concert London 19th December 1996 small poster print A5 size US $25.40 Buy It Now 3 days
Tales Of Dark - Fragile Monuments CD My Dying Bride Celestial Season Tristania US $5.00 [0 bids]
Aglaomorpha - Perception CD Anathema My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Katatonia US $5.00 [0 bids]
Amily - To All in Graves CD Swallow the Sun My Dying Bride Draconian Doom:VS US $3.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride: Trinity SEALED CD Japanese release 1998 US $30.00 [0 bids]
ALAS Absolute Purity (ORG 2001 Hammerheart) anathema my dying bride hate eternal US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 (CD, Nov-2000, PEACEVILLE) UK US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Angel and the Dark River by My Dying Bride (Cassette, Feb-1996, Fierce) US $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers - Tape US $7.00 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - The Light at the end of the World - Tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788%...COMPLETE (1998,2001 PEACEVILLE RECORDS, UK) CD US $6.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT 2004 PEACEVILLE RECORDS, UK CD US $4.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars My Dying Bride are an interesting addition to Prog Archives. Evidently not one that goes without debate, but it isn't so difficult to defend that they have their place here. For sure, they are worthy of your attention for more reasons then just for the mutilated naked ladies on their album covers.

Now this particular album might be an acquired taste for prog fans, this is Doomsday's soundtrack, and as you might expect from such an event, there's nothing here that will make you feel comfortable about it. It's oppressive, heavy, droning and nihilistic. But there are elements that hint at an artistic vision that reaches far beyond normal metal limitations. The violin for instance adds an interesting angle to this dark well of depression, the keyboards add a symphonic flavour and most of all the song writing is ambitious and often adventurous, alternating between slow dirges and fast blast beats.

After the classical romantic intro that reminds me of the late romantic German composers, Sear Me kicks off this doom beast with a solemn drum pace and beautiful lyrical guitar leads complemented by violins. It's a great harmonious and melodic start of a crushing track. Heavily reverbed death vocals foretell that this album won't be an easy ride. And indeed, after a little under three minutes, MDB shift the gear to a blast beat infested death metal attack. Aaron spews out Latin lyrics with a vile hate and disgust. This thunderous track closes off by repeating the opening theme.

The Forever People is another insanely intense head-banging doom fest. The band plays tightly through the uncompromising material. MDB is a skilled unit, nothing like the rather sloppy performances on the first albums of Anathema and Paradise Lost.

15 minutes in and I'm completely won over into this filthy decadence. But then comes the unworldly beauty of The Bitterness and the Breavement, a spine-chilling violin leads through this tormented doom sludge. The guitars are tuned down to levels where melody becomes barely audible; the pace is so slow that the repeating pattern becomes hard to follow. Halfway in, they give the final blow to the last remainders of your resistance against so much negativism. A short flare of deadly chromatic riffing and Aaron's inhuman throat are sure to leave you alone and bewildered amidst the ruins of civilisation. But then comes that romantic violin theme again, almost teasing us with hope that there is life after death.

I'll better leave the three remaining tracks for someone else to dissect into their smallest possible pieces. Suffice to say that Vast Choirs has a loose structure that can not be discarded for being just metal. This is post-metal, assembling an entirely new kind of music out of the remains of what one was heavy metal. The Return of the Beautiful goes a step further into deconstructing traditional rock structures. Melody and recognizable repeating patterns give way to a raw, primitive and darkest emotion. Again, MDB adds that symphonic flavour with a sad lyrical theme on something that sounds like a horn. Erotic Literature ends on a majestic, almost heroic war marching pace.

Rating this album makes no sense. This music can as easily serve as a showcase for one star abomination as it can be justified as 'essential in any music collection', if only as a testimony of a musical journey into to the darkest and most foul corners of the human soul.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#260930) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 15, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars As The Flower Withers is the debut full-length studio album by UK doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The band had been signed to the Peaceville Records label on the grounds of their now rare God Is Alone (1991) EP and subsequently released the classic Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium EP in 1992. As The Flower Withers would see My Dying Bride proving that they had what it took to make a full album of quality material.

I remember listening to As The Flower Withers with a friend in his room back in 1992. He had the album on LP and I was imidiately sold to the extremely heavy, dark and melancholic music that hit me when he put that LP on. I got a cassette copy I listened to for a couple of months until I had money enough to buy my own copy ( yep I went to secondary school in those days and the purchase of just one album meant hard work). It was actually one of my very first ( if not the first) CD purchases as I had been a vinyl only man ( well boy to be exact) up until then. So there´s kind of a nostalgic feeling that clings to this CD for me.

The music on the album is doom/ death metal. The foundation of extremely heavy distorted guitars and a slow and heavy rythm section is complimented by growling vocals and the excellent choice of adding a violin to some of the songs. The atmosphere is gloomy and melancholic and Aaron Stainthorpe´s poetic lyrics really add to the dark experience ( some might find them pretentious but I think they suit the music well). As it turns out the album is a bit of a mixed bag for me though. There are 7 tracks on the album and only 4 of them really make my blood boil. The classical intro track Silent Dance is the perfect entrance to the album. Just beautiful. Then comes Sear Me which is a classic in My Dying Bride´s discography. It´s such an epic and majestic track that one. I still get goosebumps everytime I listen to that song. The Forever People follows and it´s with songs like this that the album fails to captivate me. It´s a pretty standard mid-paced death metal track and if I want to listen to something like that I can think of a dozen other bands who write and play that type of music much more convincingly. The two other tracks in this vein on the album are Erotic Literature and Vast Choirs. The latter mentioned also appeared in a premature version on the Towards the Sinister (1990) demo. I´m not sure but I seem to remember that Erotic Literature was a CD bonus track which didn´t appear on the original LP. Don´t hang me if it´s wrong though. None of the three more regular doom/ death metal tracks are bad but they are sub par to the rest of the songs on the album. Out of the 7 tracks on the album I guess I only lack to mention The Bitterness & The Bereavement and The Return Of The Beautiful. In addition to Sear Me those two are the highlights on the album. Crushingly heavy, dark, melancholic and epic sounding doom/ death metal tracks. And again that violin just puts the icing on the cake.

The production is good for the time. Heavy and dark.

I´m a bit biased towards As The Flower Withers because of the three sub par tracks and I can´t bring myself to give the full 4 star rating here even though I greatly enjoy the rest of the album. So for now a 3.5 star rating will do ( I might upgrade this to a 4 star rating in time). It´s certainly a classic album but not exactly a flawless one when I listen to it with today´s ears.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#263881) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Back in 1992, hearing such a bleak, sad and beautiful intro track like Silent Dance would cause me to assume one thing...that I'm about to be bombarded with blastbeats, guitars roaring in low C and ogres growling about feasting on humans. A good portion of death metal albums had that sort of "intro" situation going on:

Intro starts..."wow this sounds like it's going to be a dark gothic ambient album." Intro ends, death metal starts..."Whoa! Never saw that coming...this is a really loud album after all!"

This album genuinely surprised me in that the first 'main' song, Sear Me, starts off with a sluggish drum beat before morose guitar melodies shamble in to join the sorrow. The vocals are pretty much death growls throughout the album, and there are some blastbeats found periodically in some of these tracks, including Sear Me. The band was considered part of a doom/goth metal revival, but personally I would consider this particular effort more of an avante garde death metal album due to retaining many aspects of typical death metal while adding a lot of strange and interesting things to the mix.

The use of violins, keyboards and even woodwinds really helps provide an extra layer of atmosphere during the slower sections, particularly that oboe in The Return Of The Beautiful which just sounds utterly suicidal and depressed. The lyrics are better written than the vast majority of other death metal lyrics in the early 90s, which really isn't saying much, but it does add to the avante garde effect.

There's variety to these compositions and they are structured quite well, although a couple of 'fast drumming parts' seemed added just to remind the listener that My Dying Bride is still a death metal band. The Forever People is a straight up death metal song which was kind of a cool bridge between the gloomier Sear Me and the apt titled The Bitterness & The Bereavement.

It's definitely a noteworthy album as it helped kickstart a whole new generation of doom metal escapades, although with Aaron primarily just growling throughout this album, it's more pf an acquired taste than some of their later offerings where 'clean' singing becomes the dominant voice of the material.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#438799) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 25, 2011

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars Perhaps the most classic album of the goth romanticed metal group, and was also very much played at the teenage parties I went passing out. The beginning's cinematopic intro gives powerful first impression, and sets wonderful tone for the upcoming songs. The most successful compositions like the iconic "Sear Me" really reach fine spheres of grandiose power, shimmering from melodically solemn themes, repeated with hypnotic power on long structured compositions. "The Return of The Beautiful" stands as the most convincing song of the album, exploring furthest the possibilities on song writing, adventuring on catacombs of aural moods, and also implementing yet deeper violins, synths and audio effects as supporting elements enhancing the narrative characteristics of the composition. The overall rhythmic solutions or instrumental arrangements are not very complex, guitar driven and partly in Latin growled pieces focusing mostly to atmospherics. Very slow and vast riff swamps find fine dynamic counterparts from more rapid sequences. With the faster drive the band manages to conjure pleasant catalysts for catharsis also from slightly lesser magnificent tunes, like on "Forever People" or "Erotic Literature". Most possibly due my own age I have grown to like these late 80's & early 90's heavy metal tones on the sounds, and growing up with Carcass, Napalm Death, Sepultura, Autopsy and the other rock'n'roll groups for the depression era suburb kids allows this larger capacity of enjoyment. There are few poorer moments on the album lowering slightly my overall appreciation for this groundbreaking record. Some tracks like "Vast Choirs" has in my opinion lost some rawness and originality from the original demo take, so I consider that always working of some things further won't make the outcome appear better. But on the whole I believe the work here lead towards yet more successful long-player album following this record.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#872762) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 07, 2012

4 stars This, the debut album from My Dying Bride set a new standard in doom metal. Together with Candlemass, Anathema and Paradise Lost; My Dying Bride kickstarted doom metal again. Of these three bands, Candlemass were more a Black Sabbath clone, Anathema ventured into indie rock and Paradise Lost w ... (read more)

Report this review (#258685) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, December 31, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "As The Flower Withers"