THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

My Dying Bride The Angel And The Dark River album cover

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Music
Studio Album, released in 1995

1. The Cry Of Mankind (12:13)
2. From Darkest Skies (7:48)
3. Black Voyage (9:46)
4. A Sea To Suffer In (6:31)
5. Two Winters Only (9:01)
6. Your Shameful Heaven (6:59)

Search MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River lyrics

Martin Powell - violin, keyboard
Rick Miah - drums

Peaceville Records
May 22, 1995

Thanks to J-Man for the addition
and to Snow Dog for the last updates

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River Music

Peaceville UK 2003
EvintaEvinta
Peaceville / Snapper 2011
MY DYING BRIDE 37,788% CD peaceville 1998 CDVILE 74 US $9.99 Buy It Now 39m 18s
Voice of the Wretched [Digipak] by My Dying Bride metal US $8.00 Buy It Now 58m 1s
MY DYING BRIDE DELUXE LTD ED SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT CD BOX SET W/POSTE US $25.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans (CD, Feb-1994, Futurist/Mayhem Records) US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 USA Shipping Included US $10.70 Buy It Now 4h 24m
SILENTIUM "Infinita plango vulnera"cd Spikefarm 1999,My dying bride,Yearning US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 37m
SILENTIUM "Altum"cd Spikefarm 2001,My dying bride,Yearning US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 9m
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River/Darkest Eyes [CD New] US $14.20 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Line Of Deathless Kings by My Dying Bride (CD, Sep-2006, Peaceville Records... US $45.00 Buy It Now 7h 50m
THE PROPHECY Salvation DIGI CD My Dying Bride Anatham Paradise Lost US $11.99 Buy It Now 8h 22m
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 2 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.81 Buy It Now 9h 57m
MY DYING BRIDE a map of all our failures VINYL LP RECORD NEW! US $29.98 Buy It Now 10h 15m
MY DYING BRIDE - DREADFUL HOUR NEW CD US $24.72 Buy It Now 10h 26m
MY DYING BRIDE - ANGEL & THE DARK RIVER / DARKEST EYES (+DVD) NEW CD US $22.04 Buy It Now 10h 33m
MY DYING BRIDE Introducing Best Of Greatest Hits Double CD NEW & SEALED US $13.22 Buy It Now 15h 35m
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 2 CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 16h 55m
MY DYING BRIDE A Map Of All Our Failures Official Sew On PATCH New US $7.49 Buy It Now 17h 24m
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 (2001) - New - Compact Disc US $12.02 Buy It Now 19h 8m
EARTHEN GRAVE 2LP MY DYING BRIDE PALE DIVINE WITCHSORROW TROUBLE ARKHAM WITCH US $24.29 Buy It Now 21h 5m
Funeral Mourning Drown in Solitude LP VINYL My Dying Bride Burzum Elysian Blaze US $74.99 [0 bids]
FROM BEYOND - Endtime CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA RARE US $12.99 Buy It Now 21h 42m
MYTHOPOEIA - Golden Leaf Of Oak CD Metal Breath 2001 MY DYING BRIDE OCTOBER TIDE US $19.99 Buy It Now 22h 4m
My Dying Bride - A Map Of All Our Failures (NEW CD & DVD) US $25.15 Buy It Now 23h 54m
Official Boxed Mug - MDBMUG01 - My Dying Bride US $11.93 Buy It Now 1 day
BILOCATE Sudden Death Syndrome CD MY DYING BRIDE Paradise Lost OPETH US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Dreadful Hours [CD New] US $11.45 Buy It Now 1 day
GARDENIAN SOULBURNER PROMO CD 1999 NEAR MINT OOP HTF MY DYING BRIDE LEAVES EYES US $15.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE evinta 2011 - WOVEN SEW ON PATCH official merchandise US $5.10 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride As the flower withers cd US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE THE VOICE OF THE WRETCHED SEALED CD NEW US $8.77 Buy It Now 1 day
Funeral Tristesse 12" Vinyl Double LP (My Dying Bride, Thergothon, Evoken) US $46.44 Buy It Now 1 day
The Throat of Winter [Single] by Opeth (Katatonia, Anathema, My Dying Bride) US $22.00 [1 bids]
Anathema A Vision Od A Dying Embrace (DVD) MY DYING BRIDE OPETH PARADISE LOST US $1.50 [1 bids]
My Dying Bride Fore Darkest Eyes (DVD) ANTHEMA PATADISE LOST TIAMAT DEATH US $1.50 [1 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby (Red LP) Opeth, Katatonia, Death, slayer US $100.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST - Lost Paradise CD Peaceville ORG anathema my dying bride morgion US $3.00 [1 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Gothic 1991 Peaceville 1Press anathema my dying bride morgion US $7.00 [1 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Draconian Times 1995 Relativity anathema my dying bride morgion US $3.00 [0 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Shades of God 1992 Music for Nations anathema my dying bride US $5.00 [0 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Icon 1993 Metal Blade anathema my dying bride arcane sun morgion US $5.00 [0 bids]
FOREST STREAM - Tears of Mortal Solitude 2003 Earache anathema my dying bride US $3.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Like Gods Of The Sun - 1996 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.68 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES NEW VINYL US $44.14 Buy It Now 1 day
SEVENCHURCH - BLEAK INSIGHT Extremely Rare English Doom Cassette My Dying Bride US $7.90 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS NEW CD US $19.34 Buy It Now 1 day
ALBEZ DUZ DIGI-CD PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE TIAMAT BLACK WIDOW GHOST HUATA US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ALEXANDER GLAVNIY Without Waste Words AUTUMNIA OFFICIUM TRISTE MY DYING BRIDE US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride : Evinta CD (2011) US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - We are the Bible (Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost) US $25.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + FREE BONUSES US $8.06 Buy It Now 2 days
NEX zero CD SEALED candlemass my dying bride katatonia autopsy anathema doom US $9.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - I AM THE BLOODY EARTH UK CD SINGLE W/B-SIDES DEATH/DOOM METAL US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
And Here I Lie "Regrets" RARE/OOP Doom,Thorns of the Carrion,My Dying Bride US $28.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Inhuman ?- Foreshadow (Moonspell, Heavenwood, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost) US $2.50 [0 bids]
Anathema - Deep (My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Paradise Lost) US $1.99 [0 bids]
CONFUSION CORPORATION Demo 94 My Dying Bride Prophecy of Doom US $9.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $5.10 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $5.10 Buy It Now 2 days
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down four-fold digipak (Opeth, My Dying Bride) US $6.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE "Like Gods Of The Sun" (1st press,MFN,VERY RARE!!!) Phlebotomized US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
beseech - drama, type o negative moonspell darkseed tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
darkseed - spellcraft , type o negative moonspell tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE-An Ode To Woe CD + DVD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $18.70 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE-Like Gods Of The Sun CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $12.14 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE-Meisterwerk 1 CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $11.20 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - the Dreadful Hours / Live in Krakow Vol. 2 (Agat Rec ) Russian US $17.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Novembers Doom CD 2014 Bled White type o negative opeth my dying bride US $6.50 [2 bids]
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 (CD, 2000, Cacop) [UK RELEASE] NEW! SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
HAMFERD Vilst Er Sidsta Fet CD EP NEW/SEALED My Dying Bride Tyr Katatonia Opeth US $17.49 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA Fine Day to Exit CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Katatonia Tiamat US $8.49 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma CD Digi +Bonus My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Katatonia US $8.49 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST As I Die CD EP My Dying Bride Anathema Katatonia Tiamat Moonspell! US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA Eternity CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Katatonia Tiamat Moonspell US $8.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - The Silent Enigma 2003 (My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Katatonia) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here (Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride) US $14.99 [0 bids]
Type O Negative - The Least Worst Digipak (My Dying Bride, Moonspell, Katatonia) US $15.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 - NEW CD US $8.87 Buy It Now 2 days
FIRST PRESS OPETH Still Life CD ORG Peaceville 2000 KATATONIA MY DYING BRIDE US $20.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LYCUS Tempest DIGIPAK MOURNFUL CONGREGATION PALLBEARER MY DYING BRIDE ASUNDER US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - The Light At The End Of The World (digipack) (CD, Jan-2004) US $9.49 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - The Angel And The Dark River / ORG 96 Peaceville 2CD US $3.50 [1 bids]
THE GARDNERZ The System Of Nature CD My Dying Bride Anathema Paradise Lost US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE GARDNERZ It All Fades CD My Dying Bride Anathema Paradise Lost Darkthrone US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SOMNUS RARE DEMO 1997 MANTICORE INQUISITION MY DYING BRIDE BEHEMOTH US $6.66 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE**ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $25.50 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE "The Angel & The Dark River" OOP Rare Tape (1995) Anathema Opeth US $0.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - SINAMORATA 2005 PEACEVILLE DVD [Shape of Despair, Skepticism] US $3.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA"Pentecost III"cd Peaceville 95,Paradise Lost,My dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathena - Eternity JAP EDITION My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Opeth, Katatonia US $20.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light [CD New] US $10.57 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT NEW CD US $17.81 Buy It Now 3 days
Songs of Darkness, Words of Light [Digipak] by My Dying Bride (CD, Feb-2006,... US $7.68 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride : A Map Of All Our Failures CD (2012) US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Dark Tranquility - The Minds I [ LP, Century Media, IMPORT, NEW ] My Dying Bride US $22.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA NEW CD US $24.35 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE:Songs:T-shirt NEW:MEDIUM ONLY US $28.11 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE:Songs:T-shirt NEW:SMALL ONLY US $28.11 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE:Trinity:T-shirt NEW:MEDIUM ONLY US $28.11 Buy It Now 3 days
Onirophagus - Defiler Of Hope (CD new)(Evoken, Funeral, My Dying Bride, Frailty) US $7.77 Buy It Now 3 days
~ MY DYING BRIDE - Evinta ~ MUSIC 2 CD's US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River reviews

Review by Prog-jester
5 stars Bring back the Brides!!!

Well, it's almost like "Up the Irons!", but it's true! Being more than a doom/death-metal pioneer band, MDB had always been deeper and far more interesting than any other genre's explorers. They wither a bit with years, but nobody's perfect, isn't it? "The Angel and the Dark River" is their most epic and progressive album, no growling this time, no gothic- metal approach (which emerged later on "Like Gods of the Sun"), just sorrowful dirges filled with...wait, I'm getting too emotional) The opener, "The Cry of Mankind", is the evegreen classic, and half-acoustic "Two Winters Only" is probably the best track on the record. Martin's violin brings this unique MDB scent to every phrase, and lengthy structured tracks create moody atmosphere of sophisticated decadance.

What kept MDB fresh in those times is their progressive attitude to music they were playing. They're not Prog, but they were far more PROGRESSIVE than some popular Prog bands nowadays. If you're still in doubts, begin with this one. "The Angel and the Dark River" alone is enough to fall in love with MY DYING BRIDE. Recommended!

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#258915) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 02, 2010

Review by UMUR
4 stars The Angel and the Dark River is the third full-length studio album by experimental doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released by Peaceville Records in May 1995. The album contains 6 tracks but there´s a digipack version available with a bonus track called The Sexuality of Bereavement ( which is the version that I have). The Angel and the Dark River was re-released in 1996 with a new cover artwork, the bonus track The Sexuality of Bereavement and a bonus CD titled Live at the Dynamo with 4 tracks recorded at the band´s appearance at the Dynamo Festival in 1995.

The music on the album continues the experimental doom/ death metal style of Turn Loose the Swans (1993) but leaves out the growling vocals. Aaron Stainthorpe solely sings in his paatos filled clean voice ( except on the bonus track where he exclusively growls). There are 6 tracks on the album ( 7 if you count the bonus track) with varying playing times from 6 - 12 minutes. The use of violin in the music is more prominant than ever and gives the music a melancholic and dark atmosphere. The basis in the music are still heavy doomy guitar riffs and slow doomy drumming. The songs are generally a bit more tightly structured than on the more adventurous Turn Loose the Swans but still not following a regular vers/ chorus format. Both The Cry of Mankind and Black Voyage include dark ambient sections. The former features a beautiful driving piano figure and stand out on the album as one of the highligts. All songs on the album are high quality compositions but I´ve always had a soft spot for A Sea to Suffer In. Alledgedly Two Winters Only is Aaron Stainthorpe´s favorite My Dying Bride song. It´s a beautiful song with its acoustic first half and more epic ending , so I understand his preference.

The production has always somewhat bothered me. It´s cold IMO. Professional but cold.

While The Angel and the Dark River is not my favorite My Dying Bride album it´s still an excellent album by the band. Listening to the album again to make this review after many years where I haven´t listened to the album it actually grew a bit on me. If you crave experimental doom metal of the highest caliber The Angel and the Dark River certainly applies and a 4 star rating is well deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#274055) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 25, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars MDB's third album has always been a major disappointment for me. It has none of the excitement or the inspiration of the preceding albums. Aaron has completely given up on the gruff singing and in case of MDB this is sure no improvement as his clean singing style is rather weak, especially when applied all the way through.

Pedestrian Black Sabbath riffs and Aaron's morose talking voice dominate the songs. They create an album that sound tedious rather then gloomy. Nothing seems to raise above average and it fails on all counts. The music isn't sophisticated nor good enough to work as an atmospheric mood-rock album, and it isn't heavy and intense enough to move the listenener, neither emotionally, nor physically. Only Your Shameful Heaven tries to create a bit of tension but the tedious vocals make it fails miserably.

The Angel And The Dark River sounds dull, as if the album was created from leftovers that didn't make it onto the preceding albums. Strangely enough the album is rated quite highly on AMG, and on PA as well so far. So probably it works well for fans of doom and stoner. But as you might have come to understand already, I'm not a fan of any particular genre or band, I'm only a fan of good albums. And this sure isn't one from what I can hear.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#276863) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 08, 2010

Review by EatThatPhonebook
4 stars 8/10

"The Angel And The Dark River" is another My Dying Bride milestone that would influence a great deal of the Doom Metal to come.

My Dying Bride's career had a sudden twist, with the release of their sophomore LP, "Turn Loose The Swans", for some people the masterpiece of the band. But the third album, "The Angel And The Dark River", got just as much recognition: now, fans are sill debating which of these two early records is the magnum opus of the act. Anyway the debate goes, this 1995 release still keeps incredibly high levels from every point of view, and has risen up to be considered one of the key albums of Doom Metal.

Compared to the ethereally gloomy atmosphere of "Turn Loose The Swans", "The Angel And The Dark River" is almost more bright in terms of sound: the levels of despair and hopelessness are not at all as extreme as they were with the band's second album. The music in this third LP generally is much more fast-paced, more dynamic and lively. There seems to be a much stronger focus on the songwriting itself: the amount of effects used (that is, keyboards, guitar effects and what not) is minimal, although some peculiar elements that were present in the previous efforts, like the violin or the lamenting clean vocals, still persist and are a great part of the album. But another great, noticeable change is the almost complete absence of Death Metal growls (with the exception of the last track), a factor that made My Dying Bride such a unique band at it's origins. However, "Turn Loose the Swans", because of its slight change in direction, shows how the band had reached a sort of independence from the point of view of artistic freedom, even if it was really early in their career.

The themes present in "The Angel and The Dark River" are more or less the same we see in other Doom Metal bands and in other My Dying Bride releases, including loss of hope, desperation, but also more religious elements, like the strong presence of God in the lyrics. This sort of gloominess though on this album is much more human and rational than the more extreme tones of TLTS, and feel also more credible.

With seven tracks, My Dying Bride once again bring a solid album structure together: the twelve minute opener "The Cry Of Mankind" is already a track where the change in direction is pretty obvious, because of the lively guitar riff that Agalloch probably kept in mind eleven years later, while writing songs for "Ashes Against The Grain". This riff is the heart of the piece, and is accompanied by the rest of the instruments, including a piano. The last few minutes of the track are somewhat Dark Ambient driven, another aspect that is new for MDB. "From Darkest Skies" is an even more emotional piece, where there are strong alterations between feelings: if one part sounds resigned and lost, the next one is angry and revengeful. "A Sea To Suffer In" is of a noticeably heavier nature, because of the overwhelming crunch the guitars have, enriched by the intense melodies and the extremely urgent feel. Then "Only Two Winters" is half clean, half electric: in the first part, a gorgeous, deep guitar melody that holds even a bit of nostalgia in it, in the second part, a sort of catch-up to the heaviness. "Your Shameful Heaven" is the most violent song yet, proof of how progressively strong the sounds get as the album flows. And then, the album finishes with "The Sexuality of Beaverment", the only song where there is a return to the "Turn Loose The Swans" feel, especially thanks to the growls, and the slow rhythms. Overall, this last piece is a great closer and gives an epic end to the previously mentioned progression.

"The Angel And The Dark River" has now received a status as a Doom Metal classic: it has terrific songwriting, that overcomes the need of atmosphere and studio effects, and an intriguing, gloomy romanticism, that is unique only of this band.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#744715) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012

4 stars The DNA profile of My Dying Bride.... This is an arch-typical My Dying Bride album in my view. Well, the arch-typical My Dying Bride I really like. The music here is slow, doomy, gloomy, melodic and symphonic. Symphonic doom is the genre I would use on this album. Just the usual facts fi ... (read more)

Report this review (#309033) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, November 09, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "The Angel And The Dark River"