THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

My Dying Bride The Angel And The Dark River album cover

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Music
Studio Album, released in 1995

1. The Cry Of Mankind (12:13)
2. From Darkest Skies (7:48)
3. Black Voyage (9:46)
4. A Sea To Suffer In (6:31)
5. Two Winters Only (9:01)
6. Your Shameful Heaven (6:59)

Search MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River lyrics

Martin Powell - violin, keyboard
Rick Miah - drums

Peaceville Records
May 22, 1995

Thanks to J-Man for the addition
and to Snow Dog for the last updates

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River Music

Remastered
Peaceville UK 2007
TrinityTrinity
Peaceville Records/Ka 2004
Songs of Darkness, Words of Light - My Dying Bride (CD Only) No Art Read Listing US $0.01 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 2 [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $7.55 Buy It Now 1h 45m
MY DYING BRIDE - LIKE GODS OF THE SUN - BONUS TRACKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.66 Buy It Now 2h 19m
MOURNING BELOVETH-THE SULLEN SULCUS-CD-my dying bride US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
WHEN NOTHING REMAINS Thy Dark Serenity BLACK #/400 My Dying Bride Uaral Amorphis US $17.99 Buy It Now 3h
MY DYING BRIDE - LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS - NEW CD US $19.62 Buy It Now 3h 39m
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788% COMPLETE - BONUS TRACK (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.66 Buy It Now 3h 48m
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE NEW CD US $24.15 Buy It Now 3h 48m
PARADISE LOST - Shades of God 1992 Music for Nations anathema my dying bride US $3.00 [1 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Draconian Times 1995 Relativity anathema my dying bride morgion US $3.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride *GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD - ( 49 Songs ) US $7.65 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA T-SHIRT MY DYING BRIDE CATHEDRAL TIAMAT THERION KATATONIA ANTIMATTER US $27.99 Buy It Now 8h 53m
OPETH TANK TOP T-SHIRT ANATHEMA MY DYING BRIDE BLOODBATH KATATONIA TRISTANIA US $25.99 Buy It Now 8h 53m
My Dying Bride ( Girlie shirt ) Paradise Lost Tiamat Swallow the Sun Draconian US $26.99 Buy It Now 8h 53m
MY DYING BRIDE I Am The Bloody Earth RARE 1994 OOP UK CD Single Ex/Ex Vile44TCD US $27.00 Buy It Now 9h 18m
Tiamat SCREEN PRINTED BACK PATCH Lucyfire Paradise Lost Moonspell My Dying Bride US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 21m
ANATHEMA GIRLIE SHIRT -MY DYING BRIDE SHAPE OF DESPAIR PARADISE LOST CANDLEMASS US $29.99 Buy It Now 9h 21m
CATHEDRAL T-SHIRT MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA LAKE OF TEARS TIAMAT PARADISE LOST US $26.99 Buy It Now 9h 21m
MY DYING BRIDE Turn Loose The Swans 3 Bonus Tracks CD (New) US $18.58 Buy It Now 10h 52m
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA - CDVILEF324 US $13.25 Buy It Now 12h 53m
my dying bride i am the bloody earth ep cd 1994 US $11.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - 34.788 Complete [CD New] US $12.23 Buy It Now 16h 24m
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [CD New] US $12.12 Buy It Now 16h 24m
Like Gods of the Sun by MY DYING BRIDE (Original CD, Made in USA) US $5.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire [CD New] US $14.22 Buy It Now 16h 25m
The Angel and the Dark River by MY DYING BRIDE 1995 (Original CD, Made in USA) US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Light at the end of the World by MY DYING BRIDE 1999 ( CD, Made in England) US $4.99 [0 bids]
FIERCE RECORDINGS RARE PROMO CD-MY DYING BRIDE-PARADISE LOST-OVERDOSE-WITHSTAND+ US $3.00 [0 bids]
Trinity by MY DYING BRIDE 1995 (Original CD, Made in USA) US $5.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride Voice of the Wretched PROMO (CD, 2002) Peaceville metal doom US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 33m
Onirophagus - Defiler of hope (pro cdr) MY DYING BRIDE AUTOPSY KATATONIA ASPHYX US $5.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Angel and the Dark River cd sealed US $21.24 Buy It Now 20h 49m
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS (180GM) NEW VINYL US $55.31 Buy It Now 22h 39m
THE ORGAN FANZINE ISSUE 148 JAN 2006 - NINA HAGEN - LIARS - MY DYING BRIDE US $15.18 Buy It Now 22h 50m
My Dying Bride: Turn Loose The Swans Special Edition 2 CD Set 2013 Digibook NEW US $15.95 Buy It Now 23h 29m
Paradise Lost - Tragic Illusion 25 10" M LP Green Vinyl + CD My Dying Bride US $14.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans CD ORG PEACEVILLE/FIERCE US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE KNELL - Harm (CD 2007) Doom Death Metal Esoteric Draconian My Dying Bride US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VERITATE-The rise of Hatröss LP/katatonia/paradise lost/my dying bride/voivod US $15.99 [0 bids]
PARADISE LOST just say words ORIG VINYL LP (1997) my dying bride katatonia US $19.99 [0 bids]
NEX-ZERO-CD-doom-my dying bride-anathema-watain-nominon US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HEDON CRIES-HATE INTO GRIEF (2003 GR DOOM/DEATH DARK TRANQUILLITY MY DYING BRIDE US $2.99 [0 bids]
My dying bride - like gods of the sun LP first press VILE 65 US $125.00 Buy It Now 1 day
FUNERAL To Mourn Is a Virtue CD, Esoteric My Dying Bride Katatonia Skepticism US $7.99 [0 bids]
VALLENFYRE SPLINTERS LMTD DIGI NEW PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE ASPHYX AUTOPSY US $12.99 [0 bids]
As the Flower Withers by My Dying Bride (CD, 1992, Vile/Peaceville/Fierce) US $8.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MORGAIN Abandoned In The Forest... CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Kathatonia US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose the Swans US $12.63 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - A Map of All Our Failures US $12.86 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES - CDVILEF407 US $19.47 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [Vinyl New] US $43.39 Buy It Now 1 day
COLD COLOURS-COLD COLOURS (2013) US DARK METAL ROTTING CHRIST MY DYING BRIDE US $3.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [3 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $45.47 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride live concert London 19th December 1996 small poster print A5 size US $25.31 Buy It Now 1 day
Tales Of Dark - Fragile Monuments CD My Dying Bride Celestial Season Tristania US $5.00 [0 bids]
Aglaomorpha - Perception CD Anathema My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Katatonia US $5.00 [0 bids]
Amily - To All in Graves CD Swallow the Sun My Dying Bride Draconian Doom:VS US $3.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride: Trinity SEALED CD Japanese release 1998 US $30.00 [0 bids]
ALAS Absolute Purity (ORG 2001 Hammerheart) anathema my dying bride hate eternal US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 (CD, Nov-2000, PEACEVILLE) UK US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Angel and the Dark River by My Dying Bride (Cassette, Feb-1996, Fierce) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers - Tape US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - The Light at the end of the World - Tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788%...COMPLETE (1998,2001 PEACEVILLE RECORDS, UK) CD US $6.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT 2004 PEACEVILLE RECORDS, UK CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - TRINITY (CD, 1995, Futurist/ FIERCE Recordings) US $5.99 [0 bids]
Paradise Lost - Paradise Lost (CD) (Anathema, My Dying Bride, Katatonia) US $1.50 [1 bids]
TEN (10) DM cassette tape Lot 4 AUTOPSY MY DYING BRIDE PARADISE LOST US $20.00 [0 bids]
NEW DARK CLASSICS Peaceville promo CD Katatonia My Dying Bride Darkthrone etc US $5.05 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Trinity:T-shirt NEW - LARGE ONLY US $27.88 Buy It Now 2 days
The Angel and the Dark River by My Dying Bride (CD, Feb-1996, Fierce) US $4.99 [0 bids]
As the Flower Withers by My Dying Bride (CD, 1992, Futurist/Mayhem Records) US $4.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA NEW CD US $61.10 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [2 DISCS] [801056832429] - NEW CD BOXSET US $9.62 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST PRINTED PATCH MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA KATATONIA MOONSPELL CEMETARY US $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride TURN LOOSE THE SWANS LPx2 UK 801056803917 Peaceville new US $53.97 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride TURN LOOSE THE SWANS LPx2 UK 801056803917 Peaceville new US $62.57 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [2LP] - 2013- New & Sealed US $30.00 Buy It Now 2 days
NOVEMBERS DOOM For Every Leaf that Falls CD EP rare my dying bride katatonia US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Evinta: Deluxe [CD New] US $48.45 Buy It Now 2 days
GARDENIAN SOULBURNER PROMO CD 1999 NEAR MINT OOP HTF MY DYING BRIDE LEAVES EYES US $15.00 [0 bids]
AMORPHIS Tuonela G/F LP 2013 anathema my dying bride in flames opeth nightwish US $31.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF R1) US $16.80 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun, Import, doom, lost, anathema, opeth, slayer US $2.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Evinta (2CD 2011, Peaceville Records) LIKE NEW US $11.94 [0 bids]
PARADISE LOST: Faith Divides Us, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Sentenced, Insomnium US $6.66 [0 bids]
Turn Loose the Swans by My Dying Bride (CD, Aug-2003, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $9.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Albion (20th Ann Tour) Longsleeve T-shirt - NEW - LARGE ONLY US $37.18 Buy It Now 3 days
FATUM ELISUM-HOMO NIHILIS-doom-death-silencer-paradise lost-my dying bride US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River/Live at the Dynamo '95 [Limited].. US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SILENT STREAM OF GODLESS ELEGY-RELIC DANCES NEW LP MY DYING BRIDE DOOM/DEATH US $36.99 [0 bids]
COLD COLOURS-COLD COLOURS (2013) US DARK METAL ROTTING CHRIST MY DYING BRIDE US $2.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Map Of All Our Failures [CD New] US $15.69 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride: The Angel and the Dark River (CD) US $0.99 [1 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers CD (1992) US $9.25 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers [Vinyl New] US $25.48 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES NEW CD US $24.15 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - AS THE FLOWER WITHERS NEW VINYL US $36.97 Buy It Now 3 days
SOLSTICE "Lamentations"ORG CD Candlelight 1994,Candlemass,My Dying Bride US $34.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River reviews

Review by Prog-jester
5 stars Bring back the Brides!!!

Well, it's almost like "Up the Irons!", but it's true! Being more than a doom/death-metal pioneer band, MDB had always been deeper and far more interesting than any other genre's explorers. They wither a bit with years, but nobody's perfect, isn't it? "The Angel and the Dark River" is their most epic and progressive album, no growling this time, no gothic- metal approach (which emerged later on "Like Gods of the Sun"), just sorrowful dirges filled with...wait, I'm getting too emotional) The opener, "The Cry of Mankind", is the evegreen classic, and half-acoustic "Two Winters Only" is probably the best track on the record. Martin's violin brings this unique MDB scent to every phrase, and lengthy structured tracks create moody atmosphere of sophisticated decadance.

What kept MDB fresh in those times is their progressive attitude to music they were playing. They're not Prog, but they were far more PROGRESSIVE than some popular Prog bands nowadays. If you're still in doubts, begin with this one. "The Angel and the Dark River" alone is enough to fall in love with MY DYING BRIDE. Recommended!

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#258915) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 02, 2010

Review by UMUR
4 stars The Angel and the Dark River is the third full-length studio album by experimental doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released by Peaceville Records in May 1995. The album contains 6 tracks but thereīs a digipack version available with a bonus track called The Sexuality of Bereavement ( which is the version that I have). The Angel and the Dark River was re-released in 1996 with a new cover artwork, the bonus track The Sexuality of Bereavement and a bonus CD titled Live at the Dynamo with 4 tracks recorded at the bandīs appearance at the Dynamo Festival in 1995.

The music on the album continues the experimental doom/ death metal style of Turn Loose the Swans (1993) but leaves out the growling vocals. Aaron Stainthorpe solely sings in his paatos filled clean voice ( except on the bonus track where he exclusively growls). There are 6 tracks on the album ( 7 if you count the bonus track) with varying playing times from 6 - 12 minutes. The use of violin in the music is more prominant than ever and gives the music a melancholic and dark atmosphere. The basis in the music are still heavy doomy guitar riffs and slow doomy drumming. The songs are generally a bit more tightly structured than on the more adventurous Turn Loose the Swans but still not following a regular vers/ chorus format. Both The Cry of Mankind and Black Voyage include dark ambient sections. The former features a beautiful driving piano figure and stand out on the album as one of the highligts. All songs on the album are high quality compositions but Iīve always had a soft spot for A Sea to Suffer In. Alledgedly Two Winters Only is Aaron Stainthorpeīs favorite My Dying Bride song. Itīs a beautiful song with its acoustic first half and more epic ending , so I understand his preference.

The production has always somewhat bothered me. Itīs cold IMO. Professional but cold.

While The Angel and the Dark River is not my favorite My Dying Bride album itīs still an excellent album by the band. Listening to the album again to make this review after many years where I havenīt listened to the album it actually grew a bit on me. If you crave experimental doom metal of the highest caliber The Angel and the Dark River certainly applies and a 4 star rating is well deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#274055) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 25, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars MDB's third album has always been a major disappointment for me. It has none of the excitement or the inspiration of the preceding albums. Aaron has completely given up on the gruff singing and in case of MDB this is sure no improvement as his clean singing style is rather weak, especially when applied all the way through.

Pedestrian Black Sabbath riffs and Aaron's morose talking voice dominate the songs. They create an album that sound tedious rather then gloomy. Nothing seems to raise above average and it fails on all counts. The music isn't sophisticated nor good enough to work as an atmospheric mood-rock album, and it isn't heavy and intense enough to move the listenener, neither emotionally, nor physically. Only Your Shameful Heaven tries to create a bit of tension but the tedious vocals make it fails miserably.

The Angel And The Dark River sounds dull, as if the album was created from leftovers that didn't make it onto the preceding albums. Strangely enough the album is rated quite highly on AMG, and on PA as well so far. So probably it works well for fans of doom and stoner. But as you might have come to understand already, I'm not a fan of any particular genre or band, I'm only a fan of good albums. And this sure isn't one from what I can hear.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#276863) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 08, 2010

Review by EatThatPhonebook
4 stars 8/10

"The Angel And The Dark River" is another My Dying Bride milestone that would influence a great deal of the Doom Metal to come.

My Dying Bride's career had a sudden twist, with the release of their sophomore LP, "Turn Loose The Swans", for some people the masterpiece of the band. But the third album, "The Angel And The Dark River", got just as much recognition: now, fans are sill debating which of these two early records is the magnum opus of the act. Anyway the debate goes, this 1995 release still keeps incredibly high levels from every point of view, and has risen up to be considered one of the key albums of Doom Metal.

Compared to the ethereally gloomy atmosphere of "Turn Loose The Swans", "The Angel And The Dark River" is almost more bright in terms of sound: the levels of despair and hopelessness are not at all as extreme as they were with the band's second album. The music in this third LP generally is much more fast-paced, more dynamic and lively. There seems to be a much stronger focus on the songwriting itself: the amount of effects used (that is, keyboards, guitar effects and what not) is minimal, although some peculiar elements that were present in the previous efforts, like the violin or the lamenting clean vocals, still persist and are a great part of the album. But another great, noticeable change is the almost complete absence of Death Metal growls (with the exception of the last track), a factor that made My Dying Bride such a unique band at it's origins. However, "Turn Loose the Swans", because of its slight change in direction, shows how the band had reached a sort of independence from the point of view of artistic freedom, even if it was really early in their career.

The themes present in "The Angel and The Dark River" are more or less the same we see in other Doom Metal bands and in other My Dying Bride releases, including loss of hope, desperation, but also more religious elements, like the strong presence of God in the lyrics. This sort of gloominess though on this album is much more human and rational than the more extreme tones of TLTS, and feel also more credible.

With seven tracks, My Dying Bride once again bring a solid album structure together: the twelve minute opener "The Cry Of Mankind" is already a track where the change in direction is pretty obvious, because of the lively guitar riff that Agalloch probably kept in mind eleven years later, while writing songs for "Ashes Against The Grain". This riff is the heart of the piece, and is accompanied by the rest of the instruments, including a piano. The last few minutes of the track are somewhat Dark Ambient driven, another aspect that is new for MDB. "From Darkest Skies" is an even more emotional piece, where there are strong alterations between feelings: if one part sounds resigned and lost, the next one is angry and revengeful. "A Sea To Suffer In" is of a noticeably heavier nature, because of the overwhelming crunch the guitars have, enriched by the intense melodies and the extremely urgent feel. Then "Only Two Winters" is half clean, half electric: in the first part, a gorgeous, deep guitar melody that holds even a bit of nostalgia in it, in the second part, a sort of catch-up to the heaviness. "Your Shameful Heaven" is the most violent song yet, proof of how progressively strong the sounds get as the album flows. And then, the album finishes with "The Sexuality of Beaverment", the only song where there is a return to the "Turn Loose The Swans" feel, especially thanks to the growls, and the slow rhythms. Overall, this last piece is a great closer and gives an epic end to the previously mentioned progression.

"The Angel And The Dark River" has now received a status as a Doom Metal classic: it has terrific songwriting, that overcomes the need of atmosphere and studio effects, and an intriguing, gloomy romanticism, that is unique only of this band.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#744715) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012

4 stars The DNA profile of My Dying Bride.... This is an arch-typical My Dying Bride album in my view. Well, the arch-typical My Dying Bride I really like. The music here is slow, doomy, gloomy, melodic and symphonic. Symphonic doom is the genre I would use on this album. Just the usual facts fi ... (read more)

Report this review (#309033) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, November 09, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "The Angel And The Dark River"