LIKE GODS OF THE SUN

Martin Powell - violin, keyboard
Rick Miah - drums

Peaceville Records
October 7th, 1996

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun Music

Peaceville UK 2003
Like Gods Of The SunLike Gods Of The Sun
Extra tracks
Peaceville UK 2006
MY DYING BRIDE - Like Gods Of The Sun - 1996 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.34 Buy It Now 1h 35m
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS NEW CD US $18.46 Buy It Now 5h 40m
ALBEZ DUZ DIGI-CD PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE TIAMAT BLACK WIDOW GHOST HUATA US $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 34m
SATURNUS Martyre 1stPress Euphonious Rec. 2000 (katatonia my dying bride) US $39.00 Buy It Now 6h 54m
ALEXANDER GLAVNIY Without Waste Words AUTUMNIA OFFICIUM TRISTE MY DYING BRIDE US $8.00 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Onirophagus - Defiler of hope (pro cdr) MY DYING BRIDE AUTOPSY KATATONIA ASPHYX US $5.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Evinta I & Ii [CD New] US $24.81 Buy It Now 10h 48m
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride : Evinta CD (2011) US $10.00 Buy It Now 11h 50m
My Dying Bride Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + FREE BONUSES US $8.06 Buy It Now 13h 14m
MY DYING BRIDE TURN LOOSE THE SWANS + 3 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $5.99 Buy It Now 13h 34m
MY DYING BRIDE 34.788 % COMPLETE + BONUS TRACK SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $5.99 Buy It Now 13h 43m
My Dying Bride GOD IS ALONE 7 1991 VERY RARE LISTENABLE!!!307 of 1000 US $170.00 Buy It Now 13h 49m
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 - NEW CD US $12.13 Buy It Now 14h 44m
Tiamat CD Prey opeth my dying bride type o negative paradise lost amorphis US $3.89 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $4.88 Buy It Now 15h 35m
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $4.88 Buy It Now 15h 35m
MY DYING BRIDE-An Ode To Woe CD + DVD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $17.84 Buy It Now 18h 54m
MY DYING BRIDE-Like Gods Of The Sun CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $11.58 Buy It Now 18h 54m
MY DYING BRIDE-Meisterwerk 1 CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $10.69 Buy It Now 18h 55m
Ashes You Leave - The Passage Back of Life CD 1999 SEALED My Dying Bride US $3.00 [0 bids]
HAMFERD Vilst Er Sidsta Fet CD EP NEW/SEALED My Dying Bride Tyr Katatonia Opeth US $17.49 Buy It Now 23h 13m
WHISPERING GALLERY - Shades of Sorrow DIGI CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FIRST PRESS OPETH Still Life CD ORG Peaceville 2000 KATATONIA MY DYING BRIDE US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LYCUS Tempest DIGIPAK MOURNFUL CONGREGATION PALLBEARER MY DYING BRIDE ASUNDER US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
AMORPHIS Tuonela G/F LP 2013 anathema my dying bride in flames opeth nightwish US $31.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - The Light At The End Of The World (digipack) (CD, Jan-2004) US $9.49 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA"Pentecost III"cd Peaceville 95,Paradise Lost,My dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light [CD New] US $9.94 Buy It Now 1 day
Onirophagus - Defiler Of Hope (CD new)(Evoken, Funeral, My Dying Bride, Frailty) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT NEW CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
beseech - drama, type o negative moonspell darkseed tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
darkseed - spellcraft , type o negative moonspell tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium 1991 Peaceville ORG US $17.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Thrash of Naked Limbs 1993 Peaceville 1st Press ORG anathema US $18.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - I Am the Bloody Earth 1994 Peaceville 1st Press ORG anathem US $9.99 [0 bids]
AMORPHIS - ELEGY CD NEVERMORE ARCH ENEMY TIAMAT MY DYING BRIDE GRAVE ENSLAVED US $1.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride/THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD/New US $21.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Songs:T-shirt - NEW - SMALL ONLY US $26.82 Buy It Now 1 day
Meisterwerk V.2 by My Dying Bride (Digipak, Mar-2004, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $19.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE:Trinity:T-shirt NEW:MEDIUM ONLY US $26.82 Buy It Now 1 day
VERITATE-The rise of Hatröss LP/katatonia/paradise lost/my dying bride/voivod US $1.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - A Map Of All Our Failures NEW CD US $18.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - The Silent Enigma first press lp vinyl my dying bride katatonia US $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Voice Of The Wretched CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Evinta I & Ii CD US $26.47 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Angel & the Dark River (CD 1995) METAL US $13.05 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose the Swans (CD 1993) METAL US $13.05 [0 bids]
DREAMBREED - SOMETIME EP CD (Cradle of filth my dying bride memebers) US $3.26 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - VAULTED SHADOWS THE - CDVILEDH509 US $16.80 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE as the flower withers LP 6 track with inner sleeve (vilelp479) eu US $29.34 Buy It Now 2 days
AMORPHIS POSTER !!!!!! Powerwolf/Insomnium/Paradise Lost/My Dying Bride/Anathema US $5.55 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun - Cassette , Made In Poland US $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
As the Flower Withers by My Dying Bride (Vinyl, Jan-2014, Peaceville Records... US $22.53 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - The Manuscript EP 2013 US $8.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Evinta (2011) 2CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $10.94 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers [CD New] US $10.27 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers [Vinyl New] US $25.48 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride Evinta EBVILE001, EBVILE002 US $88.60 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - AS THE FLOWER WITHERS NEW VINYL US $35.56 Buy It Now 2 days
anathema serenades t shirt doom metal death paradise lost ulver my dying bride US $16.66 Buy It Now 2 days
anathema serenades t shirt doom metal death paradise lost ulver my dying bride US $19.66 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - AS THE FLOWER WITHERS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
my dying bride limited edition cd US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [CD New] US $13.57 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE**EVINTA (LTD ED W/BOOKLET)**2CD US $13.69 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers CD (1992) US $8.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Woods of Ypres: ORG. Against The Seasons, KRANKENHAUS, My Dying Bride, Katatonia US $19.99 [0 bids]
Golgotha: Melancholy FIRST REPULSE, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, US $16.99 [0 bids]
RARE PROMO Mayhem Records 2 CD SAMPLER My Dying Bride DIO Enuff Znuff + FIERCE US $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride Angel & The Dark River CD US $6.70 Buy It Now 2 days
34.788%...Complete [Bonus Track] [Digipak] by My Dying Bride (CD, Jun-2004,... US $9.31 Buy It Now 2 days
The Angel and the Dark River [Bonus Tracks] [Digipak] by My Dying Bride (CD,... US $7.57 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - the Dreadful Hours / Live in Krakow Vol. 2 (Agat Rec ) Russian US $17.00 Buy It Now 3 days
NEVER DIE - The Source Of Black Water (CD 2011) doom gothic metal My Dying Bride US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
HEDON CRIES - Hate Into Grief (CD 2003) My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Anathema US $13.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LLVME Fogeira De Suenos (CD 2010) My Dying Bride Shape of Despair Negura Bunget US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
INNER MISSING - Escapism (CD 2011) doom death metal My Dying Bride Draconian US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ET MORIEMUR - Cupio Dissolvi (CD 2011) Doom Death Metal My Dying Bride Anathema US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE A Map Of All Our Failures 2-LP VINYL "SEALED" US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE Trinity DIGIPACK CD "BRAND NEW & SEALED US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - A Line Of Deathless Kings CD Box Set Limited Edition 2006 US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Void Of Silence ?- Criteria Ov 666 DIGI CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BLOODLINE- Opium hearts ADVANCE PROMO CD RARE KATATONIA MY DYING BRIDE US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
FROM BEYOND - Endtime CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA RARE US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MYTHOPOEIA - Golden Leaf Of Oak CD Metal Breath 2001 MY DYING BRIDE OCTOBER TIDE US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - THE VOICE OF THE WRETCHED DIGIPACK CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
UNSILENCE Under A Torn Sky LP MY DYING BRIDE OPETH PENTAGRAM SAINT VITUS US $11.00 [0 bids]
MAR DE GRISES Streams Inwards DIGIPAK MY DYING BRIDE US $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
DEPRESY Sighting LE DIGI 1999 Shindy Prod. Septic Flesh My Dying Bride US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River LIMITED DIGI 1995 Peaceville US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ETHERIAL WINDS - Saved CD rare 1.press 1994 M.M.I. / my dying bride crematory US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
PARAMAECIUM Exhumed Of The Earth CD '94 R.E.X. MUSIC My Dying Bride Virgin Black US $69.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma CD 1995 GLOBUS My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Gathering US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose The Swans CD 1993 Peaceville Records US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
PARADISE LOST Icon LIMITED DIGI 1993 Music For Nations My Dying Bride Anathema US $55.00 Buy It Now 3 days
PARADISE LOST Lost Paradise CD 1990 Peaceville my dying bride katatonia anathema US $59.00 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars Like Gods of the Sun is the 4th full-length studio album by UK experimental doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released by Peaceville Records in October 1996. Like Gods of the Sun is the last My Dying Bride album to feature Rick Miah on drums and Martin Powell on keyboards and violins.

Like Gods of the Sun is the second album in a row where Aaron Stainthorpe solely sings using his clean vocals. So no growling on this album. The influences from goth rock/ metal are more prominant than ever on Like Gods of the Sun but the music is still extremely heavy/ doomy and dark. The use of keyboards and violin in the music really creates a melancholic and bleak atmosphere that is unrivaled by other contemporary acts. The production is much darker and heavier than the production on its predecessor The Angel and the Dark River (1995). There are several strong tracks on the album but to be honest itīs like the album rarely rise above average. The opening title track is my favorite.

Like Gods of the Sun was the last My Dying Bride album that I listened to before taking a long break from the bandīs music. Upon first listen I found the album excellent, but I remember being more and more disappointed about the direction of the music the more I listened to the album. Maybe my disappointment still cling or maybe Like Gods of the Sun just isnīt an album for me because listening to the album again today after many years I still feel the same disappointment as I did back in 1996. Like Gods of the Sun is simply sub par to the three preceeding albums by My Dying Bride and therefore gets an average rating by me. Itīs still a quality album with great musicianship and a professional production so the basics are allright.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#275545) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Like Gods of the sun is MDB's fourth album and for the second time in a row it features only clean vocals. It can't be compared to its predecessor though; this album rocks far more and is much more accessible then any other MDB album so far.

The sound is heavier then Turn Loose The Swans or The Angel and the Dark River, it's still dark and gloomy but decidedly less dreary. A first reason is the upgraded tempo, not that MDB embraced speed metal but they maintain a mid-paced tempo on most songs, sounding almost as if they suddenly embraced grunge! Almost, as the inclusion of the sad violins, keyboards and even some organ on the superb opener makes the music too majestic to be grunge. Still, Alice In Chains and Sabbath fans that are interested in hearing a gothic take on their kind of music should lend their ears.

A second reason why I find this album an improvement over the previous two albums is that the songs work a lot better for me. The riffs are catchier, the songs flow better and there is more diversity. Simply put, every song is more recognizable. In its entirety, the album slightly overstays its welcome though. Despite some great parts, the 4 songs at the end are a bit uneven.

Aaron's clean vocals work really well on this material. They're still an acquired taste but they sound much steadier and more involved then on the preceding album. And he's not alone, the entire band sounds inspired and enthusiastic this time. It's something of an achievement really, to be doom and still convey a sense of fervour and hunger through the music.

This album was not met with uniform enthusiasm upon its release and still doesn't rate high in most MDB fans' ranking. So I would rather recommend this album to other lovers of doom and goth-rock who have avoided MDB so far because of the feared gruff vocals. While the album is not uniformly excellent, most songs have always moved me a lot. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#278016) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2010

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars When I purchased this album soon after its release, after the first listen I could only assume that Aaron Stainthorpe had ditched the death metal growls for good, as the band had evolved into a full fledged gothic metal group at this point. There's more punch to this album than the previous release musically, with some double bass pummeling to boot, but the tempos still tend to lumber around like some dude leaving a goth club after failing to catch the fancy of that elusive Winona Ryder lookalike. The song lengths are shorter, but still occasionally plod along well after their worth, beating reasonably good ideas into the dirt.

The overwhelming mopey feeling I get listening to this might have been by the band's design, but combined with ennui is not what I consider time well spent. The production saves some of these tunes by being crisp while retaining a heavy atmosphere, with some good crunch on the guitars and the drums mixed powerfully while not being to upfront, but man does a song like "Grace Unhearing" bog me down without at least possessing an eerie aura.

There are a few good tracks though, the most memorable to me being the truly atmospheric ballad "For My Fallen Angel". It's morose as hell, but quite gorgeous, with a crestfallen Aaron's spoken word performance lingering amongst an ambient blend of sorrowful violins and synths utilized perfectly to create a sense of despair with no percussion intrusions. "For You" is another of their more mellow tracks, at least during the verses, and combined with the gothic vocal delivery works quite well. "All Swept Away" provides some much needed 'oomph' to the proceedings and "The Dark Caress' does a great job musically adapting to the lyrics, which are among the band's best in my opinion.

Unfortunately for my tastes, the rest of the album can be an unmitigated chore to endure to an extent that I can't stand to listen to this whole thing. Before subjecting myself to this in its entirety, I had no qualms with the lack of death growling since Aaron's singing was suitably gloomy and distinct, but after hearing this I was actually missing that 'extreme' factor and wanted to throw on one of their early EPs just to give me a much needed jolt. My Dying Bride, as it eventually turned out, would bring back the growls and that sense of utter doom that some of their earlier output exhibited so convincingly. It's tough to give a low rating for an album that isn't bereft of quality tracks, including a genuine keeper in "For My Fallen Angel", but there's just too much dreck to sift through to enjoy these few gems as an album-listening experience.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#767813) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 08, 2012

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "Like Gods of the Sun"