LIKE GODS OF THE SUN

Martin Powell - violin, keyboard
Rick Miah - drums

Peaceville Records
October 7th, 1996

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun Music

Like Gods Of The SunLike Gods Of The Sun
Extra tracks
Peaceville 2006
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun - Cassette , Made In Poland US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 9m
MY DYING BRIDE LIKE GODS OF THE SUN CASSETTE TAPE new&sealed US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun - Cassette US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun (2003) - New - Compact Disc US $9.15 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride : Like Gods of the Sun CD (1996) US $8.65 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE**LIKE GODS OF THE SUN**CD US $10.34 Buy It Now 3 days
(DR7) CD My Dying Bride Like Gods Of The Sun CDXVILE65 10 Tracks US $14.11 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE LIKE GODS OF THE SUN LP + INSERT 1996 PEACEVILLE anathema opeth US $74.99 Buy It Now 4 days
My dying bride - like gods of the sun LP first press VILE 65 US $125.00 Buy It Now 7 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun RARE Limited Digipak Bonus Track Anathema US $11.99 Buy It Now 7 days
MY DYING BRIDE LIKE GODS OF THE SUN + 2 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $6.69 Buy It Now 8 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [2LP] - 2013- New & Sealed US $30.40 Buy It Now 8 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Like Gods of the Sun US $5.79 Buy It Now 8 days
Like Gods of the Sun by My Dying Bride (CD, Apr-2003, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $15.00 Buy It Now 10 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods of the Sun (CD 2013) Digipack US $7.82 Buy It Now 11 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun CD US $16.09 Buy It Now 12 days
MY DYING BRIDE original CD "Like gods of the sun" 1996 on Peaceville US $14.99 Buy It Now 14 days
My Dying Bride : Like Gods of the Sun [Digipak] CD (2008) US $7.81 Buy It Now 17 days
My Dying Bride Like Gods of the Sun CD with bonus tracks US $10.42 Buy It Now 19 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun CD digipak bonus tracks 2003 Peaceville US $9.99 Buy It Now 21 days
MY DYING BRIDE**LIKE GODS OF THE SUN (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $24.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Like Gods Of The Sun - My Dying Bride (2003, CD New) US $11.48 Buy It Now 23 days
Like Gods of the Sun [Bonus Tracks] by My Dying Bride (CD, Apr-2003,... US $8.15 Buy It Now 24 days
MY DYING BRIDE - LIKE GODS OF THE SUN - BONUS TRACKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $16.50 Buy It Now 24 days
My Dying Bride / Like Gods of the Sun JAPAN+2 T-A US $34.99 Buy It Now 24 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [CD New] US $11.74 Buy It Now 24 days
Like Gods of the Sun - Dying Bride My New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.20 Buy It Now 26 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Like Gods Of The Sun - 1996 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.06 Buy It Now 27 days
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods Of The Sun 2LP 180G VINYL NEW !!! US $32.77 Buy It Now 27 days
MY DYING BRIDE-Like Gods Of The Sun CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $11.25 Buy It Now 27 days
My Dying Bride : Like Gods of the Sun CD (2001) US $1.99 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars Like Gods of the Sun is the 4th full-length studio album by UK experimental doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released by Peaceville Records in October 1996. Like Gods of the Sun is the last My Dying Bride album to feature Rick Miah on drums and Martin Powell on keyboards and violins.

Like Gods of the Sun is the second album in a row where Aaron Stainthorpe solely sings using his clean vocals. So no growling on this album. The influences from goth rock/ metal are more prominant than ever on Like Gods of the Sun but the music is still extremely heavy/ doomy and dark. The use of keyboards and violin in the music really creates a melancholic and bleak atmosphere that is unrivaled by other contemporary acts. The production is much darker and heavier than the production on its predecessor The Angel and the Dark River (1995). There are several strong tracks on the album but to be honest it´s like the album rarely rise above average. The opening title track is my favorite.

Like Gods of the Sun was the last My Dying Bride album that I listened to before taking a long break from the band´s music. Upon first listen I found the album excellent, but I remember being more and more disappointed about the direction of the music the more I listened to the album. Maybe my disappointment still cling or maybe Like Gods of the Sun just isn´t an album for me because listening to the album again today after many years I still feel the same disappointment as I did back in 1996. Like Gods of the Sun is simply sub par to the three preceeding albums by My Dying Bride and therefore gets an average rating by me. It´s still a quality album with great musicianship and a professional production so the basics are allright.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#275545) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Like Gods of the sun is MDB's fourth album and for the second time in a row it features only clean vocals. It can't be compared to its predecessor though; this album rocks far more and is much more accessible then any other MDB album so far.

The sound is heavier then Turn Loose The Swans or The Angel and the Dark River, it's still dark and gloomy but decidedly less dreary. A first reason is the upgraded tempo, not that MDB embraced speed metal but they maintain a mid-paced tempo on most songs, sounding almost as if they suddenly embraced grunge! Almost, as the inclusion of the sad violins, keyboards and even some organ on the superb opener makes the music too majestic to be grunge. Still, Alice In Chains and Sabbath fans that are interested in hearing a gothic take on their kind of music should lend their ears.

A second reason why I find this album an improvement over the previous two albums is that the songs work a lot better for me. The riffs are catchier, the songs flow better and there is more diversity. Simply put, every song is more recognizable. In its entirety, the album slightly overstays its welcome though. Despite some great parts, the 4 songs at the end are a bit uneven.

Aaron's clean vocals work really well on this material. They're still an acquired taste but they sound much steadier and more involved then on the preceding album. And he's not alone, the entire band sounds inspired and enthusiastic this time. It's something of an achievement really, to be doom and still convey a sense of fervour and hunger through the music.

This album was not met with uniform enthusiasm upon its release and still doesn't rate high in most MDB fans' ranking. So I would rather recommend this album to other lovers of doom and goth-rock who have avoided MDB so far because of the feared gruff vocals. While the album is not uniformly excellent, most songs have always moved me a lot. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#278016) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2010

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars When I purchased this album soon after its release, after the first listen I could only assume that Aaron Stainthorpe had ditched the death metal growls for good, as the band had evolved into a full fledged gothic metal group at this point. There's more punch to this album than the previous release musically, with some double bass pummeling to boot, but the tempos still tend to lumber around like some dude leaving a goth club after failing to catch the fancy of that elusive Winona Ryder lookalike. The song lengths are shorter, but still occasionally plod along well after their worth, beating reasonably good ideas into the dirt.

The overwhelming mopey feeling I get listening to this might have been by the band's design, but combined with ennui is not what I consider time well spent. The production saves some of these tunes by being crisp while retaining a heavy atmosphere, with some good crunch on the guitars and the drums mixed powerfully while not being to upfront, but man does a song like "Grace Unhearing" bog me down without at least possessing an eerie aura.

There are a few good tracks though, the most memorable to me being the truly atmospheric ballad "For My Fallen Angel". It's morose as hell, but quite gorgeous, with a crestfallen Aaron's spoken word performance lingering amongst an ambient blend of sorrowful violins and synths utilized perfectly to create a sense of despair with no percussion intrusions. "For You" is another of their more mellow tracks, at least during the verses, and combined with the gothic vocal delivery works quite well. "All Swept Away" provides some much needed 'oomph' to the proceedings and "The Dark Caress' does a great job musically adapting to the lyrics, which are among the band's best in my opinion.

Unfortunately for my tastes, the rest of the album can be an unmitigated chore to endure to an extent that I can't stand to listen to this whole thing. Before subjecting myself to this in its entirety, I had no qualms with the lack of death growling since Aaron's singing was suitably gloomy and distinct, but after hearing this I was actually missing that 'extreme' factor and wanted to throw on one of their early EPs just to give me a much needed jolt. My Dying Bride, as it eventually turned out, would bring back the growls and that sense of utter doom that some of their earlier output exhibited so convincingly. It's tough to give a low rating for an album that isn't bereft of quality tracks, including a genuine keeper in "For My Fallen Angel", but there's just too much dreck to sift through to enjoy these few gems as an album-listening experience.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#767813) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 08, 2012

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "Like Gods of the Sun"