LIKE GODS OF THE SUN

Martin Powell - violin, keyboard
Rick Miah - drums

Peaceville Records
October 7th, 1996

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun Music

Extra tracks · Remastered
Peaceville UK 2004
Light at the End of the WorldLight at the End of the World
Peaceville UK 2004
LET ME DREAM - My Dear Succubus Rare OOP CD Gothic Doom My Dying Bride Draconian US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
MY DYING BRIDE For Lives I Sire Fabric POSTER FLAG Official NEW US $19.35 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Meisterwerk 1 [Digipak] [ECD] by My Dying Bride (CD,... US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h
MY DYING BRIDE - AN ODE TO WOE - LIVE [LTD.DIGIBOOK] (CD/DVD, 2008) *Sealed* US $12.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - LIKE GODS OF THE SUN NEW VINYL US $41.44 Buy It Now 4h 47m
SACRATUS-...PARADISE FOR TWO-CD-doom-death-my dying bride-saturnus-anathema US $11.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
My Dying Bride Turn Loose The Swans digipack CD 2003 used NM / NM Peaceville US $8.10 Buy It Now 7h 14m
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River / Darke NEW CD US $16.83 Buy It Now 7h 20m
MY DYING BRIDE - The Light at the End of the World US $9.09 Buy It Now 7h 32m
My Dying Bride - Evinta: Deluxe CD US $58.51 Buy It Now 14h 11m
My Dying Bride - Map Of All Our Failures CD US $20.02 Buy It Now 14h 12m
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 14h 13m
MY DYING BRIDE - TRINITY + 1 - CDVILED46 US $13.56 Buy It Now 14h 51m
MY DYING BRIDE - THE ANGEL AND THE DARK..CD+DVD - CDVILED260X US $19.64 Buy It Now 14h 51m
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA (SPECIAL EDITION DIGIBOOK) - CDVILEF302X US $24.41 Buy It Now 14h 51m
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788% COMPLETE - CDVILED74 US $13.67 Buy It Now 14h 53m
MY DYING BRIDE - AS THE FLOWERS WITHERS - CDVILED32 US $13.56 Buy It Now 14h 53m
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS - CDVILED39 US $14.02 Buy It Now 14h 53m
MY DYING BRIDE - DREADFUL HOURS - CDVILED90 US $13.56 Buy It Now 14h 53m
MY DYING BRIDE - VOICE OF THE WRETCHED - CDVILED117 US $13.56 Buy It Now 14h 53m
MENTAL HOME Black Art - 1999 CD - lacrimosa my dying bride october tide therion US $4.99 Buy It Now 15h 4m
MY DYING BRIDE A Map Of Our Failure 2x 180gm Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $33.69 Buy It Now 15h 8m
MY DYING BRIDE - Barghest O' Whitby 2011 Peaceville ORG RARE anathema opeth US $24.99 [0 bids]
CD: MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River US $11.00 Buy It Now 15h 55m
MY DYING BRIDE AS THE FLOWER WITHERS 1rst PRESS 1992 CDVILE 32 US $26.99 Buy It Now 17h 18m
MY DYING BRIDE TURN LOOSE THE SWANS 1rst PRESS 1993 CDVILE 39 US $29.99 Buy It Now 17h 18m
MY DYING BRIDE THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER 1rst PRESS 1995 CDVILE 50 US $26.99 Buy It Now 17h 18m
MY DYING BRIDE SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT DIGI 1rst PRESS 2004 CDVILEF 110 US $32.99 Buy It Now 17h 18m
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [Vinyl New] US $28.97 Buy It Now 18h 48m
Daylight Dies - no reply anathema my dying bride swallow the sun novembers doom US $4.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - A LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS - CDVILED289 US $13.89 Buy It Now 19h 34m
My Shameful - descend A5 digi evoken my dying bride neurosis swallow the sun US $15.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Trinity (Japan+1) / 10 Track US $9.99 [0 bids]
REVELATIONS OF RAIN 2013 Deceptive Virtue CD Doom Death Ophis My Dying Bride US $14.99 Buy It Now 22h 58m
My Dying Bride Anti Diluvian Chronicles rare 3 cd set Greatest Hits like new US $20.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA NEW CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE**A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE original CD "As the flower withers" 1992 on Peaceville US $22.49 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE original CD "Turn loose the swans" 1993 on Peaceville US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE Trinity DIGIPACK CD "BRAND NEW & SEALED US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun - Cassette US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - The Light At The End Of The World - Cassette US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - 34.788%... - Cassette US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers - Cassette US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium Cassette 1991 RARE OOP! US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers LP Vinyl Record US $29.20 Buy It Now 1 day
FALL OF EMPYREAN-A LIFE SPENT DYING-CD-swallow the sun-my dying bride-doom-death US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788%...COMPLETE, GREEN vinyl LP, 700 COPIES! NEW - SEALED! US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers LP 6 Track With Inner Sleeve (vilelp479) EU US $34.72 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Evinta [CD New] US $14.89 Buy It Now 1 day
ablaze in hatred - deceptive awareness my dying bride evoken thergothon isole US $5.00 [0 bids]
Silent Stream of Godless Elegy-Navaz cd new Root My Dying bride folk doom metal US $13.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 CD US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST "Lost paradise"cd Peaceville 90,Anathema,My dying bride US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CEREMONIUM - INTO THE AUTUMN SHADE, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Doom Metal US $1.75 [2 bids]
PARADISE LOST Pin Badge gothic metal my dying bride tiamat anathema moonspell US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST logo Pin Badge gothic metal my dying bride anathema moonspell US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MOURNING BELOVETH-A DISEASE FOR THE AGES-CD-anathema-my dying bride-doom-death US $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Deeper Down Rare Digi Single CD Anathema Katatonia Opeth US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SAINTS EVERLASTING REST - THE DUSK OF MILLENNIUM 2005 1PR NEW! MY DYING BRIDE US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun, Import, doom, lost, anathema, opeth, slayer US $0.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE**LIKE GODS OF THE SUN**CD US $10.34 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun 2 LP Vinyl Record LP US $37.73 Buy It Now 2 days
UNSILENCE Under A Torn Sky LP MY DYING BRIDE OPETH PENTAGRAM SAINT VITUS US $11.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE-LIKE GODS OF THE SUN FIRST EDITION US $80.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER/DARKEST EYES [CD/DVD] - NEW CD BOXSET US $11.17 Buy It Now 2 days
DECEMBRE NOIR A Discouraged Believer OPETH KATATONIA OCTOBER TIDE MY DYING BRIDE US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
NECARE-RUIN-CD-doom-death-anathema-my dying bride-mourning beloveth US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Angel & the Dark River (1996) CD US $12.69 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE PHOTO) (REF K) US $7.24 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER + 4 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $9.98 Buy It Now 2 days
DOMINION Interface RARE JAPAN CD OBI PCCY-01033 Nailed My Dying Bride US $9.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride : Angel and the Dark River CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: As The Flower Withers CD 2004 Bonus Track Super Jewel Box NEW US $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: Turn Loose The Swans CD 2003 Reissue Bonus Tracks CDVILED39 NEW US $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Shape of Despair cd new Thergothon Amorphis Daylight Dies My Dying Bride doom US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ENCHANTMENT DANCE THE MARBLE NAKED ANATHEMA MY DYING BRIDE PARADISE LOST UK NICE US $6.66 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $16.72 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride: Introducing 2 CD Set 2012 Best Of Greatest Hits Compilation NEW US $11.95 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE the light at the end of the world NOTVD 2x SPLATTER LP anathema US $69.99 [0 bids]
darkseed - spellcraft , type o negative moonspell tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
beseech - drama, type o negative moonspell darkseed tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - trinity CD ORIGINAL FIERCE 1995 US $0.99 [1 bids]
My Dying Bride - the angel and the dark river / live at dynamo 2CD ORIGINAL 1996 US $1.04 [2 bids]
My Dying Bride - the light at the end of the world CD ORIGINAL PEACEVILLE 1999 US $0.99 [1 bids]
MARCHE FUNEBRE-TO DROWN-CD-dark-anathema-my dying bride-katatonia-doom-death US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - An Ode To Woe NEW CD US $16.03 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride-A line of deathless kings-CD BOX-2006-Peaceville-used US $14.66 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 3 days
live concert very small mini poster print A5 size US $16.07 Buy It Now 3 days
AMORPHIS Tuonela G/F LP 2013 anathema my dying bride in flames opeth nightwish US $31.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA ETERNITY LP + INSERT 1996 PEACEVILLE FIRST PRESS my dying bride opeth US $64.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE LIKE GODS OF THE SUN LP + INSERT 1996 PEACEVILLE anathema opeth US $74.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Trinity - Polish Release US $11.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES BEANIE SKI HAT US $19.28 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE**DREADFUL HOURS (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $25.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Keen Of The Crow - Hyborea morgion evoken baroness neurosis my dying bride US $4.00 [0 bids]
thurisaz - circadian rhytm slipcase axamenta finntroll my dying bride evoken US $4.00 [0 bids]
Anathema / The Silent Enigma JAPAN+1 My Dying Bride OOP!!! C US $59.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars Like Gods of the Sun is the 4th full-length studio album by UK experimental doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released by Peaceville Records in October 1996. Like Gods of the Sun is the last My Dying Bride album to feature Rick Miah on drums and Martin Powell on keyboards and violins.

Like Gods of the Sun is the second album in a row where Aaron Stainthorpe solely sings using his clean vocals. So no growling on this album. The influences from goth rock/ metal are more prominant than ever on Like Gods of the Sun but the music is still extremely heavy/ doomy and dark. The use of keyboards and violin in the music really creates a melancholic and bleak atmosphere that is unrivaled by other contemporary acts. The production is much darker and heavier than the production on its predecessor The Angel and the Dark River (1995). There are several strong tracks on the album but to be honest itīs like the album rarely rise above average. The opening title track is my favorite.

Like Gods of the Sun was the last My Dying Bride album that I listened to before taking a long break from the bandīs music. Upon first listen I found the album excellent, but I remember being more and more disappointed about the direction of the music the more I listened to the album. Maybe my disappointment still cling or maybe Like Gods of the Sun just isnīt an album for me because listening to the album again today after many years I still feel the same disappointment as I did back in 1996. Like Gods of the Sun is simply sub par to the three preceeding albums by My Dying Bride and therefore gets an average rating by me. Itīs still a quality album with great musicianship and a professional production so the basics are allright.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#275545) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Like Gods of the sun is MDB's fourth album and for the second time in a row it features only clean vocals. It can't be compared to its predecessor though; this album rocks far more and is much more accessible then any other MDB album so far.

The sound is heavier then Turn Loose The Swans or The Angel and the Dark River, it's still dark and gloomy but decidedly less dreary. A first reason is the upgraded tempo, not that MDB embraced speed metal but they maintain a mid-paced tempo on most songs, sounding almost as if they suddenly embraced grunge! Almost, as the inclusion of the sad violins, keyboards and even some organ on the superb opener makes the music too majestic to be grunge. Still, Alice In Chains and Sabbath fans that are interested in hearing a gothic take on their kind of music should lend their ears.

A second reason why I find this album an improvement over the previous two albums is that the songs work a lot better for me. The riffs are catchier, the songs flow better and there is more diversity. Simply put, every song is more recognizable. In its entirety, the album slightly overstays its welcome though. Despite some great parts, the 4 songs at the end are a bit uneven.

Aaron's clean vocals work really well on this material. They're still an acquired taste but they sound much steadier and more involved then on the preceding album. And he's not alone, the entire band sounds inspired and enthusiastic this time. It's something of an achievement really, to be doom and still convey a sense of fervour and hunger through the music.

This album was not met with uniform enthusiasm upon its release and still doesn't rate high in most MDB fans' ranking. So I would rather recommend this album to other lovers of doom and goth-rock who have avoided MDB so far because of the feared gruff vocals. While the album is not uniformly excellent, most songs have always moved me a lot. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#278016) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2010

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars When I purchased this album soon after its release, after the first listen I could only assume that Aaron Stainthorpe had ditched the death metal growls for good, as the band had evolved into a full fledged gothic metal group at this point. There's more punch to this album than the previous release musically, with some double bass pummeling to boot, but the tempos still tend to lumber around like some dude leaving a goth club after failing to catch the fancy of that elusive Winona Ryder lookalike. The song lengths are shorter, but still occasionally plod along well after their worth, beating reasonably good ideas into the dirt.

The overwhelming mopey feeling I get listening to this might have been by the band's design, but combined with ennui is not what I consider time well spent. The production saves some of these tunes by being crisp while retaining a heavy atmosphere, with some good crunch on the guitars and the drums mixed powerfully while not being to upfront, but man does a song like "Grace Unhearing" bog me down without at least possessing an eerie aura.

There are a few good tracks though, the most memorable to me being the truly atmospheric ballad "For My Fallen Angel". It's morose as hell, but quite gorgeous, with a crestfallen Aaron's spoken word performance lingering amongst an ambient blend of sorrowful violins and synths utilized perfectly to create a sense of despair with no percussion intrusions. "For You" is another of their more mellow tracks, at least during the verses, and combined with the gothic vocal delivery works quite well. "All Swept Away" provides some much needed 'oomph' to the proceedings and "The Dark Caress' does a great job musically adapting to the lyrics, which are among the band's best in my opinion.

Unfortunately for my tastes, the rest of the album can be an unmitigated chore to endure to an extent that I can't stand to listen to this whole thing. Before subjecting myself to this in its entirety, I had no qualms with the lack of death growling since Aaron's singing was suitably gloomy and distinct, but after hearing this I was actually missing that 'extreme' factor and wanted to throw on one of their early EPs just to give me a much needed jolt. My Dying Bride, as it eventually turned out, would bring back the growls and that sense of utter doom that some of their earlier output exhibited so convincingly. It's tough to give a low rating for an album that isn't bereft of quality tracks, including a genuine keeper in "For My Fallen Angel", but there's just too much dreck to sift through to enjoy these few gems as an album-listening experience.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#767813) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 08, 2012

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "Like Gods of the Sun"