LIKE GODS OF THE SUN

Martin Powell - violin, keyboard
Rick Miah - drums

Peaceville Records
October 7th, 1996

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun Music

My Dying Bride / Like Gods of the Sun JAPAN+2 T-A US $34.99 Buy It Now 6h 28m
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.75 Buy It Now 8h
MY DYING BRIDE - INTRODUCING NEW CD US $15.45 Buy It Now 8h
TRISTANIA-ILLUMINATION ORG 2007 MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $2.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - As the Flower Withers LP New SEALED Peaceville metal 180 gram US $26.99 Buy It Now 9h 41m
IN LOVING MEMORY - Tragedy & Moon CD 2008 Orig Anathema My Dying Bride Tiamat US $7.77 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - A Map Of All Our Failures 2 LP Set New Vinyl Peaceville US $36.81 Buy It Now 10h 55m
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River 2 LP Set New Vinyl Peaceville US $36.81 Buy It Now 10h 55m
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun 2 LP Set New Vinyl Peaceville US $36.81 Buy It Now 10h 55m
November's Doom 3 Cd Lot (Novembers Doom, My Dying Bride, Opeth, Paradise Lost) US $9.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Introducing [CD New] US $10.91 Buy It Now 18h
NEX Zero CD My Dying Bride Katatonia Candlemass US $3.99 Buy It Now 19h 45m
Turn Loose the Swans My Dying Bride CD US $10.58 Buy It Now 20h 51m
MY DYING BRIDE FOR LIES I SIRE,2LP,STILL SEALED US $50.00 [1 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans (CD New) US $7.00 Buy It Now 23h 46m
MY DYING BRIDE A LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS,2LP,STILL SEALED US $70.00 [1 bids]
Cathedral Statik Majik VINYL MEGARARE 1994 Earache DOOM My dying bride US $59.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Introducing My Dying Bride (NEW 2CD) US $13.01 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Trinity CD US $14.20 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Dreadful Hours CD US $14.20 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - 2004 Magazine Poster US $7.56 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [CD New] US $11.97 Buy It Now 1 day
the BLOODLINE - Opium hearts KATATONIA MY DYING BRIDE US $7.90 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride Meisterwerk II 9 track cd NEW! meisterwerk 2 US $7.49 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods Of The Sun 2LP Tiamat Candlemass Saturnus Draconian US $25.00 [0 bids]
WINTER INTO DARKNESS LP VINYL RARE BURZUM MY DYING BRIDE US $40.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers / Japan Obi +1 Bonus 1st Press US $8.99 [1 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans / Japan Obi +1 Bonus 1st Press US $8.99 [1 bids]
My Dying Bride - Trinity / Japan Obi 1st Press Very Rare US $8.99 [1 bids]
My Dying Bride - The Angel And The Dark River / Japan Obi +2 Bonus US $8.99 [1 bids]
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun / Japan Obi +2 Bonus 1st Press US $8.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - 34.788%....Complete / Japan Obi +1 Bonus 1st Press US $8.99 [1 bids]
PARADISE LOST - DRACONIAN TIMES - ORG 1995 2CD BOXSET - RARE!!!! MY DYING BRIDE US $29.86 Buy It Now 1 day
SEVENCHURCH - BLEAK INSIGHT Extremely Rare English Doom Cassette My Dying Bride US $7.90 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA We're Here Because We're Here (Rare Gatefold CD+7"+DVDA) My Dying Bride US $45.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE Evinta Official Sew On WOVEN PATCH NEW US $7.46 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride 2albums US $10.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Introducing CD US $13.80 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans CD US $13.61 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans (Special Edition) (NEW 2CD) US $18.05 Buy It Now 2 days
CREMATORY TRANSMIGRATION CD MASS CD 016 GOTHIC DEATH DOOM METAL MY DYING BRIDE US $23.00 Buy It Now 2 days
SORROW HATRED AND DISGUST FIRST PRESS LP SATURNUS EVOKEN MY DYING BRIDE US $34.99 [0 bids]
Essenz - Mundus Numen (grey LP) My Dying Bride, Opeth, Sunn O))), Black US $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Meisterwerk 1 - My Dying Bride (CD 2000) [IMPORT, Ge... US $5.49 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE evinta 2011 - WOVEN SEW ON PATCH official merchandise US $5.03 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans CD ORG PEACEVILLE/FIERCE US $4.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE**AS THE FLOWER WITHERS (180 GRAM)**VINYL US $21.50 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE "I Am Bloody Earth" ORG 1st press RARE OOP!!! US $45.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Trinity by My Dying Bride US $6.48 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE-LIKE GODS OF THE SUN FIRST EDITION US $90.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE "34.788%..Complete" / "Live At The Dynamo" CD (Doom/Death Metal) US $7.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE "As The Flower Withers"/"For Darkest Eyes" CD (Doom/Death Metal) US $7.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE "Angel And The Dark River/Thrash Of Naked Limbs" CD (Doom/Death) US $7.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE "Songs Of Darkness" / "Voice Of The Wretched" CD (Doom/Death) US $7.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE "...End Of The World" / "Live In Krakow-Vol. 1 CD (Doom/Death) US $7.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE "The Dreadful Hours" / "Live In Krakow-Vol. 2 CD (Doom/Death) US $7.99 [0 bids]
The Voice of the Wretched My Dying Bride CD US $8.86 Buy It Now 2 days
arium noctis - home, saturnus tristania draconian my dying bride october tide US $6.99 [0 bids]
LET ME DREAM - My Dear Succubus Rare OOP CD Gothic Doom My Dying Bride Draconian US $11.99 [0 bids]
IT WILL COME 47 & Bound DIGIPAK MY DYING BRIDE DOOM US $13.00 Buy It Now 2 days
@ CD My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours NEW SS DIGI PACK / PEACEVILLE 2001 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Dreadful Hours My Dying Bride CD US $8.49 Buy It Now 3 days
Metalfest metal maniacs mag my dying bride anathema moonspell Bruce dickinson US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
For Lies I Sire by My Dying Bride (CD, Mar-2009, Pea... US $11.54 Buy It Now 3 days
HEDON CRIES - Hate Into Grief (CD 2003) My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Anathema US $13.99 Buy It Now 3 days
WEDDING IN HADES 2012 Misbehaviour CD Gothic Doom Death My Dying Bride Anathema US $13.99 Buy It Now 3 days
GRAVEFLOWER 2012 Returning To The Primary Source CD Doom Death My Dying Bride US $13.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride *GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD - ( 49 Songs ) US $5.95 [0 bids]
Turn Loose the Swans My Dying Bride CD US $11.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Meisterwerk 2 [Digipak] [ECD] by My Dying Bride (CD, Apr-2004, Peaceville... US $7.95 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 2 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.75 Buy It Now 3 days
Meisterwerk 2 - My Dying Bride (2004, CD New) US $7.64 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - TRINITY 1ST PRESS CD paradise lost virgin black anathema doom US $9.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE EMBROIDERED PATCH DOOM DEATH ANATHEMA PARADISE LOST Metal Negro US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
INNER MISSING-ESCAPISM-CD-doom-death-my dying bride-mourning beloveth US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride / The Angel and the Dark River Japan CD w Obi PCCY-00931 US $27.00 [0 bids]
Paradise Lost-S/T Self Titled RARE CD 2005 BMG Anathema My Dying Bride style US $6.99 [0 bids]
SHATTERED HOPE 2014 Waters Of Lethe CD Doom Death Ophis My Dying Bride Evoken US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE Angel and The Dark River 2x 180gm Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $35.21 Buy It Now 4 days
MOURNERS LAMENT - Unbroken Solemnity CD 2008 Original Doom Rare My Dying Bride US $19.95 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE - CDVILEF245 US $17.57 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES (CD+DVD) - CDVILEF406X US $27.35 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE - AN ODE TO WOE /CD+DVD/ NEW 2008 US $14.38 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE: EVINTA CD NEW 2011 US $13.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Meisterwerk 2 My Dying Bride CD US $8.62 Buy It Now 4 days
Ashes You Leave - The Passage Back of Life CD 1999 SEALED My Dying Bride US $3.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 2 [CD New] US $10.86 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE 37,788% CD peaceville 1998 CDVILE 74 US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE TRINITY CD! 2004 Peaceville digi reissue Anathema,Septic Flesh US $3.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Voice of the Wretched [Digipak] by My Dying Bride metal US $8.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Mourning Beloveth - A Muderous Circus, My Dying Bride, Novembers Doom, Doom:VS US $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans (CD, Feb-1994, Futurist/Mayhem Records) US $15.99 Buy It Now 4 days
My DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers CD Peaceville (CDVILE 32) (5020157103220) US $10.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE Turn Loose The Swans CD 1993 Peaceville (CDVILE 39) 5020157103923 US $10.00 [0 bids]
SILENTIUM "Infinita plango vulnera"cd Spikefarm 1999,My dying bride,Yearning US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE - The angel and the dark river (SIGNED/Autographed!!) US $34.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars Like Gods of the Sun is the 4th full-length studio album by UK experimental doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released by Peaceville Records in October 1996. Like Gods of the Sun is the last My Dying Bride album to feature Rick Miah on drums and Martin Powell on keyboards and violins.

Like Gods of the Sun is the second album in a row where Aaron Stainthorpe solely sings using his clean vocals. So no growling on this album. The influences from goth rock/ metal are more prominant than ever on Like Gods of the Sun but the music is still extremely heavy/ doomy and dark. The use of keyboards and violin in the music really creates a melancholic and bleak atmosphere that is unrivaled by other contemporary acts. The production is much darker and heavier than the production on its predecessor The Angel and the Dark River (1995). There are several strong tracks on the album but to be honest itīs like the album rarely rise above average. The opening title track is my favorite.

Like Gods of the Sun was the last My Dying Bride album that I listened to before taking a long break from the bandīs music. Upon first listen I found the album excellent, but I remember being more and more disappointed about the direction of the music the more I listened to the album. Maybe my disappointment still cling or maybe Like Gods of the Sun just isnīt an album for me because listening to the album again today after many years I still feel the same disappointment as I did back in 1996. Like Gods of the Sun is simply sub par to the three preceeding albums by My Dying Bride and therefore gets an average rating by me. Itīs still a quality album with great musicianship and a professional production so the basics are allright.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#275545) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Like Gods of the sun is MDB's fourth album and for the second time in a row it features only clean vocals. It can't be compared to its predecessor though; this album rocks far more and is much more accessible then any other MDB album so far.

The sound is heavier then Turn Loose The Swans or The Angel and the Dark River, it's still dark and gloomy but decidedly less dreary. A first reason is the upgraded tempo, not that MDB embraced speed metal but they maintain a mid-paced tempo on most songs, sounding almost as if they suddenly embraced grunge! Almost, as the inclusion of the sad violins, keyboards and even some organ on the superb opener makes the music too majestic to be grunge. Still, Alice In Chains and Sabbath fans that are interested in hearing a gothic take on their kind of music should lend their ears.

A second reason why I find this album an improvement over the previous two albums is that the songs work a lot better for me. The riffs are catchier, the songs flow better and there is more diversity. Simply put, every song is more recognizable. In its entirety, the album slightly overstays its welcome though. Despite some great parts, the 4 songs at the end are a bit uneven.

Aaron's clean vocals work really well on this material. They're still an acquired taste but they sound much steadier and more involved then on the preceding album. And he's not alone, the entire band sounds inspired and enthusiastic this time. It's something of an achievement really, to be doom and still convey a sense of fervour and hunger through the music.

This album was not met with uniform enthusiasm upon its release and still doesn't rate high in most MDB fans' ranking. So I would rather recommend this album to other lovers of doom and goth-rock who have avoided MDB so far because of the feared gruff vocals. While the album is not uniformly excellent, most songs have always moved me a lot. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#278016) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2010

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars When I purchased this album soon after its release, after the first listen I could only assume that Aaron Stainthorpe had ditched the death metal growls for good, as the band had evolved into a full fledged gothic metal group at this point. There's more punch to this album than the previous release musically, with some double bass pummeling to boot, but the tempos still tend to lumber around like some dude leaving a goth club after failing to catch the fancy of that elusive Winona Ryder lookalike. The song lengths are shorter, but still occasionally plod along well after their worth, beating reasonably good ideas into the dirt.

The overwhelming mopey feeling I get listening to this might have been by the band's design, but combined with ennui is not what I consider time well spent. The production saves some of these tunes by being crisp while retaining a heavy atmosphere, with some good crunch on the guitars and the drums mixed powerfully while not being to upfront, but man does a song like "Grace Unhearing" bog me down without at least possessing an eerie aura.

There are a few good tracks though, the most memorable to me being the truly atmospheric ballad "For My Fallen Angel". It's morose as hell, but quite gorgeous, with a crestfallen Aaron's spoken word performance lingering amongst an ambient blend of sorrowful violins and synths utilized perfectly to create a sense of despair with no percussion intrusions. "For You" is another of their more mellow tracks, at least during the verses, and combined with the gothic vocal delivery works quite well. "All Swept Away" provides some much needed 'oomph' to the proceedings and "The Dark Caress' does a great job musically adapting to the lyrics, which are among the band's best in my opinion.

Unfortunately for my tastes, the rest of the album can be an unmitigated chore to endure to an extent that I can't stand to listen to this whole thing. Before subjecting myself to this in its entirety, I had no qualms with the lack of death growling since Aaron's singing was suitably gloomy and distinct, but after hearing this I was actually missing that 'extreme' factor and wanted to throw on one of their early EPs just to give me a much needed jolt. My Dying Bride, as it eventually turned out, would bring back the growls and that sense of utter doom that some of their earlier output exhibited so convincingly. It's tough to give a low rating for an album that isn't bereft of quality tracks, including a genuine keeper in "For My Fallen Angel", but there's just too much dreck to sift through to enjoy these few gems as an album-listening experience.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#767813) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 08, 2012

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "Like Gods of the Sun"