LIKE GODS OF THE SUN

Martin Powell - violin, keyboard
Rick Miah - drums

Peaceville Records
October 7th, 1996

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun Music

Peaceville UK 2012
Like Gods Of The SunLike Gods Of The Sun
Extra tracks
Peaceville UK 2006
An Ode To Woe: Live (CD/DVD)An Ode To Woe: Live (CD/DVD)
Peaceville 2008
As the Flower WithersAs the Flower Withers
Extra tracks
Peaceville UK 2004
For Lies I SireFor Lies I Sire
Peaceville UK 2009
UNSILENCE Under A Torn Sky LP MY DYING BRIDE OPETH PENTAGRAM SAINT VITUS US $11.00 [0 bids]
38m 24s
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 1h 10m
My Dying Bride - Trinity - Polish Release US $11.00 Buy It Now 4h 26m
MY DYING BRIDE A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES BEANIE SKI HAT US $19.91 Buy It Now 5h 23m
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR DARKEST EYES - *NEW DVD* *SEALED* US $7.57 Buy It Now 8h
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [CD New] US $12.23 Buy It Now 8h 12m
My Dying Bride As The Flower Withers Slipcase CD 2001 Peaceville Records US $7.46 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride A Line of Deathless Kings Limited Box CD 2006 Peaceville Records US $14.93 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE-TURN LOOSE THE SWANS-CD 2003-DIGIPAK+3 BONUS TRACKS-REMASTERED US $16.59 Buy It Now 11h 57m
MY DYING BRIDE-THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER-CD 2003-DIGIPAK+4 BONUS TRACKS US $16.59 Buy It Now 12h 6m
3 BOX SET FROM:MY DYING BRIDE PARADISE LOST KATATONIA US $89.99 Buy It Now 12h 9m
MY DYING BRIDE-THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD-CD 2004-DIGIPAK-MINT US $16.59 Buy It Now 12h 14m
MY DYING BRIDE-DREADFUL HOURS-CD 2001-DIGIPAK-UK 1ST ISSUE+BOOKLET US $16.59 Buy It Now 12h 23m
MY DYING BRIDE-LIKE GODS OF THE SUN-CD 2001+SLIPCASE US $11.61 Buy It Now 12h 32m
LOT OF 3CD'S MY DYING BRIDE - DARK SANCTUARY - THE SOIL BLEEDS BLACK DOOM/METAL US $8.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE LOT OF 3 CD'S .METAL Turn Loose The Swans/Songs Of Darkness... US $14.99 [0 bids]
And Here I Lie "Regrets" RARE/OOP Doom,Thorns of the Carrion,My Dying Bride US $28.00 Buy It Now 17h 42m
MY DYING BRIDE Like gods of the sun US $3.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 1 day
KATATONIA FOR FUNERALS TO COME CD 1995 AV009 anathema my dying bride opeth US $26.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HEDON CRIES - Affliction's Fiction (CD 2007) Anathema My Dying Bride Saturnus US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST just say words ORIG VINYL LP (1997) my dying bride katatonia US $19.99 [0 bids]
KATATONIA Dead End Kings double LP my dying bride anathema paradise lost tiamat US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - I Am The Bloody Earth 12" 1st Press 2 Track EP US $8.29 [1 bids]
My Dying Bride - Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium 12" 1st Press 2 Track EP US $10.79 [2 bids]
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers 12" Vinyl LP - 1st Press US $9.47 [2 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans Double 12" Vinyl Gatefold LP - 1st Press US $81.36 [12 bids]
CRADLE OF FILTH Embroidered Logo PATCH MY DYING BRIDE AT THE GATES DIMMU BORGIR US $5.39 Buy It Now 1 day
THE GARDNERZ Embroidered Logo PATCH My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Anathema US $5.39 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE "A Map of All Our Failures" 2LP 2012 Peaceville Records (Vinyl) US $33.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE Embroidered Logo PATCH ANATHEMA SOLSTICE BAL SAGOTH US $5.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Paradise Lost-S/T Self Titled RARE CD 2005 BMG Anathema My Dying Bride style US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KUOLEMANLAAKSO- Tulijoutsen cd NEW Swallow The Sun Barren Earth My Dying Bride US $6.14 [3 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE- A Map Of All Our Failures cd NEW Swallow The Sun Paradise Lost US $1.64 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride For Lies I Sire CD 2009 Peaceville Records US $8.29 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Angel and the Dark River Digipack CD 2003 Peaceville Records US $8.29 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride Turn Loose The Swans Digipack CD 2003 Peaceville Records US $8.29 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Trinity CD 2004 doom collection Peaceville US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Evinta 2CD 2011 digibook symphonic doom Peaceville US $13.95 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - A Map of All Our Failures CD 2012 doom Peaceville US $13.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE PATCH 2 US $4.97 Buy It Now 1 day
AVERNUS-Of the fallen cd OOP Novembers Doom Somnus My Dying Bride US $14.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE CASSETTE, Turn Loose The Swans, Futurist, Peaceville US $7.88 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride TURN LOOSE THE SWANS LPx2 UK 801056803917 Peaceville new US $62.57 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 2 [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $10.44 Buy It Now 1 day
Meisterwerk V.2 by My Dying Bride (Digipak, Mar-2004, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $24.99 [0 bids]
MOURNING BELOVETH-THE SULLEN SULCUS-CD-my dying bride-paradise lost-melodic-doom US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS - NEW CD US $19.29 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE NEW CD US $24.30 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788% COMPLETE - BONUS TRACK (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.77 Buy It Now 1 day
MOURNING BELOVETH-THE SULLEN SULCUS-CD-OOP-melodic-doom-anathema-my dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE I Am The Bloody Earth RARE 1994 OOP UK CD Single Ex/Ex Vile44TCD US $26.56 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE Turn Loose The Swans 3 Bonus Tracks CD (New) US $18.70 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA - CDVILEF324 US $13.17 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - 34.788 Complete [CD New] US $12.23 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire [CD New] US $13.86 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun (Japan+2) / 11 Track US $9.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Trinity (Japan+1) / 10 Track US $9.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans (Japan+1) / 8 Track US $9.99 [0 bids]
BLOODSTOCK METAL FEST 2006 Programme MY DYING BRIDE DEATHSTARS PRIMAL FEAR US $1.64 [0 bids]
THERGOTHON Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth LP unholy demilich beherit my dying bride von US $45.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride 34.788% Complete Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville Records US $8.29 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun, Import, doom, lost, anathema, opeth, slayer US $2.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Light At The End Of The World Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.29 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Dreadful Hours Digipack CD 2001 Peaceville US $8.29 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride Songs of Darkness Words of Light Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.29 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Angel and the Dark River cd sealed US $21.24 Buy It Now 2 days
Ashes you leave - The inheritance of sin CD 1st Press My dying bride Ophis US $30.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS (180GM) NEW VINYL US $55.64 Buy It Now 2 days
THE ORGAN FANZINE ISSUE 148 JAN 2006 - NINA HAGEN - LIARS - MY DYING BRIDE US $14.93 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: Turn Loose The Swans Special Edition 2 CD Set 2013 Digibook NEW US $15.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Like Gods of the Sun - My Dying Bride New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $37.65 Buy It Now 2 days
THE KNELL - Harm (CD 2007) Doom Death Metal Esoteric Draconian My Dying Bride US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NEX-ZERO-CD-doom-my dying bride-anathema-watain-nominon US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE the thrash of naked limbs CD (shipping are not 3 $ !!!) US $23.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE i am the bloody earth CD (shipping are not 3 $ !!!) US $23.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE symphonaire infernus et spera... CD (shipping are not 3 $ !!!) US $23.00 [0 bids]
My dying bride - like gods of the sun LP first press VILE 65 US $125.00 Buy It Now 3 days
COLD COLOURS-COLD COLOURS (2013) US DARK METAL ROTTING CHRIST MY DYING BRIDE US $2.99 [0 bids]
SILENT STREAM OF GODLESS ELEGY-RELIC DANCES NEW LP MY DYING BRIDE DOOM/DEATH US $36.99 [0 bids]
MORGAIN Abandoned In The Forest... CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Kathatonia US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose the Swans US $10.78 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - A Map of All Our Failures US $12.91 Buy It Now 3 days
HEDON CRIES-HATE INTO GRIEF (2003 GR DOOM/DEATH DARK TRANQUILLITY MY DYING BRIDE US $2.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES - CDVILEF407 US $19.15 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [Vinyl New] US $43.39 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE logo LANYARD official licensed merchandise US $8.29 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE logo white/black SWEATBAND official merchandise US $8.29 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride "Turn Loose the Swans" 2013 2cd Special Edition Sealed Digibook US $15.76 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride "An Ode To Woe" Live 2 disc cd/dvd 2008 Sealed US $11.54 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride "Introducing" 2013 2cd set Sealed US $11.04 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [3 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $35.50 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride-Meisterwerk 1 Digipak US $40.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride live concert London 19th December 1996 small poster print A5 size US $24.89 Buy It Now 3 days
The Angel and the Dark River by My Dying Bride (Cassette, Feb-1996, Fierce) US $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE "Trinity" (1st press,VERY RARE!!!) Phlebotomized,Saturnus US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Onirophagus - Defiler of hope (pro cdr) MY DYING BRIDE AUTOPSY KATATONIA ASPHYX US $5.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE A LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS CD 2006 PEACEVILLE doom gothic metal US $0.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Trinity:T-shirt NEW - LARGE ONLY US $28.05 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars Like Gods of the Sun is the 4th full-length studio album by UK experimental doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released by Peaceville Records in October 1996. Like Gods of the Sun is the last My Dying Bride album to feature Rick Miah on drums and Martin Powell on keyboards and violins.

Like Gods of the Sun is the second album in a row where Aaron Stainthorpe solely sings using his clean vocals. So no growling on this album. The influences from goth rock/ metal are more prominant than ever on Like Gods of the Sun but the music is still extremely heavy/ doomy and dark. The use of keyboards and violin in the music really creates a melancholic and bleak atmosphere that is unrivaled by other contemporary acts. The production is much darker and heavier than the production on its predecessor The Angel and the Dark River (1995). There are several strong tracks on the album but to be honest itīs like the album rarely rise above average. The opening title track is my favorite.

Like Gods of the Sun was the last My Dying Bride album that I listened to before taking a long break from the bandīs music. Upon first listen I found the album excellent, but I remember being more and more disappointed about the direction of the music the more I listened to the album. Maybe my disappointment still cling or maybe Like Gods of the Sun just isnīt an album for me because listening to the album again today after many years I still feel the same disappointment as I did back in 1996. Like Gods of the Sun is simply sub par to the three preceeding albums by My Dying Bride and therefore gets an average rating by me. Itīs still a quality album with great musicianship and a professional production so the basics are allright.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#275545) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Like Gods of the sun is MDB's fourth album and for the second time in a row it features only clean vocals. It can't be compared to its predecessor though; this album rocks far more and is much more accessible then any other MDB album so far.

The sound is heavier then Turn Loose The Swans or The Angel and the Dark River, it's still dark and gloomy but decidedly less dreary. A first reason is the upgraded tempo, not that MDB embraced speed metal but they maintain a mid-paced tempo on most songs, sounding almost as if they suddenly embraced grunge! Almost, as the inclusion of the sad violins, keyboards and even some organ on the superb opener makes the music too majestic to be grunge. Still, Alice In Chains and Sabbath fans that are interested in hearing a gothic take on their kind of music should lend their ears.

A second reason why I find this album an improvement over the previous two albums is that the songs work a lot better for me. The riffs are catchier, the songs flow better and there is more diversity. Simply put, every song is more recognizable. In its entirety, the album slightly overstays its welcome though. Despite some great parts, the 4 songs at the end are a bit uneven.

Aaron's clean vocals work really well on this material. They're still an acquired taste but they sound much steadier and more involved then on the preceding album. And he's not alone, the entire band sounds inspired and enthusiastic this time. It's something of an achievement really, to be doom and still convey a sense of fervour and hunger through the music.

This album was not met with uniform enthusiasm upon its release and still doesn't rate high in most MDB fans' ranking. So I would rather recommend this album to other lovers of doom and goth-rock who have avoided MDB so far because of the feared gruff vocals. While the album is not uniformly excellent, most songs have always moved me a lot. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#278016) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2010

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars When I purchased this album soon after its release, after the first listen I could only assume that Aaron Stainthorpe had ditched the death metal growls for good, as the band had evolved into a full fledged gothic metal group at this point. There's more punch to this album than the previous release musically, with some double bass pummeling to boot, but the tempos still tend to lumber around like some dude leaving a goth club after failing to catch the fancy of that elusive Winona Ryder lookalike. The song lengths are shorter, but still occasionally plod along well after their worth, beating reasonably good ideas into the dirt.

The overwhelming mopey feeling I get listening to this might have been by the band's design, but combined with ennui is not what I consider time well spent. The production saves some of these tunes by being crisp while retaining a heavy atmosphere, with some good crunch on the guitars and the drums mixed powerfully while not being to upfront, but man does a song like "Grace Unhearing" bog me down without at least possessing an eerie aura.

There are a few good tracks though, the most memorable to me being the truly atmospheric ballad "For My Fallen Angel". It's morose as hell, but quite gorgeous, with a crestfallen Aaron's spoken word performance lingering amongst an ambient blend of sorrowful violins and synths utilized perfectly to create a sense of despair with no percussion intrusions. "For You" is another of their more mellow tracks, at least during the verses, and combined with the gothic vocal delivery works quite well. "All Swept Away" provides some much needed 'oomph' to the proceedings and "The Dark Caress' does a great job musically adapting to the lyrics, which are among the band's best in my opinion.

Unfortunately for my tastes, the rest of the album can be an unmitigated chore to endure to an extent that I can't stand to listen to this whole thing. Before subjecting myself to this in its entirety, I had no qualms with the lack of death growling since Aaron's singing was suitably gloomy and distinct, but after hearing this I was actually missing that 'extreme' factor and wanted to throw on one of their early EPs just to give me a much needed jolt. My Dying Bride, as it eventually turned out, would bring back the growls and that sense of utter doom that some of their earlier output exhibited so convincingly. It's tough to give a low rating for an album that isn't bereft of quality tracks, including a genuine keeper in "For My Fallen Angel", but there's just too much dreck to sift through to enjoy these few gems as an album-listening experience.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#767813) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 08, 2012

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "Like Gods of the Sun"