34.788%...COMPLETE

My Dying Bride 34.788%...Complete album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Music
Studio Album, released in 1998

1. The Whore, The Cook And The Mother (11:59)
2. The Stance Of Evander Sinque (5:31)
3. Der Überlebende (7:38)
4. Heroin Chic (8:03)
5. Apocalypse Woman (7:37)
6. Base Level Erotica (9:54)
7. Under Your Wings And Into Your Arms (5:56)

Total time 56:38

- Calvin Robertshaw / guitar
- Adrian Jackson / bass
- Bill Law / drums

With (not confirmed):
- Michelle Richfield / vocals (4)
- Keith Appleton / keyboards
- Robert Magoolagan / keyboards

CD Peaceville - CDVILE 74 (1998, UK)
CD Peaceville - CDVILED 74 (2004, UK) Remastered with a bonus track

LP Peaceville - VILE 674 (1998, UK)
2xLP Peaceville - VILELP515 (2014, UK) With a bonus track

Thanks to J-Man for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy MY DYING BRIDE 34.788%...Complete Music

34.788% Complete34.788% Complete
Extra tracks · Remastered
PEACEVILLE 2017
$7.24
34.788% Complete ( 2 Lp Gatefold + Bonus Track )34.788% Complete ( 2 Lp Gatefold + Bonus Track )
PEACEVILLE 2017
$20.02
34.788% Complete by MY DYING BRIDE (2004-08-02)34.788% Complete by MY DYING BRIDE (2004-08-02)
Peaceville

My Dying Bride - The Angel And The Dark River (CD 2001) USD $606.60 Buy It Now 1h 29m
My Dying Bride The Light At The End Of The World CD Album Promo USD $4.84 Buy It Now 2h 11m
My Dying Bride - Evinta Dcd #64260 USD $7.27 Buy It Now 2h 38m
My Dying Bride-Like Gods Of The Sun (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $10.39 Buy It Now 5h 22m
My Dying Bride: Introducing 2 CD Set 2012 Best Of Greatest Hits Compilation NEW USD $8.95 Buy It Now 5h 56m
MY DYING BRIDE - 2004 Magazine Poster USD $5.46 Buy It Now 6h 2m
My Dying Bride-Like Gods Of The Sun CD NEW USD $15.31 Buy It Now 7h
My Dying Bride-The Light at the End of the World CD NEW USD $15.31 Buy It Now 7h
MY DYING BRIDE-BARGHEST O `WHITBY VINYL LP NEW USD $33.58 Buy It Now 7h 2m
MY DYING BRIDE-MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES CD NEW USD $16.05 Buy It Now 7h 2m
My Dying Bride : Trinity CD (1995) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 30m
My Dying Bride : As the Flower Withers CD USD $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 32m
My Dying Bride : Angel & The Dark River CD USD $9.74 Buy It Now 7h 50m
SATURNUS - PARADISE BELONGS TO YOU 1997 1PR NEAR MINT! MY DYING BRIDE MORGION USD $64.99 Buy It Now 8h 19m
SATURNUS - FOR THE LOVELESS LONELY NIGHTS 1998 1PR NEAR MINT! MY DYING BRIDE USD $27.99 Buy It Now 8h 20m
SATURNUS - MARTYRE 2000 1PR MINT! CLOUDS MY DYING BRIDE MORGION SWALLOW THE SUN USD $44.99 Buy It Now 8h 20m
SATURNUS - VERONIKA DECIDES TO DIE 2006 1PR BRAND NEW! MY DYING BRIDE MORGION USD $74.99 Buy It Now 8h 21m
My Dying Bride - Barghest O 'whitby [New Vinyl LP] USD $27.82 Buy It Now 8h 47m
My Dying Bride- God Is Alone DE Sade soliloquay USD $150.00 Buy It Now 10h 16m
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES - NEW CD ALBUM USD $12.12 Buy It Now 10h 48m
My Dying Bride - Songs of Darkness. Words of Light *NEW* CD USD $11.36 Buy It Now 10h 59m
My Dying Bride: Feel The Misery - Deluxe 2 CD + 2 LP Vinyl Set 2015 Earbook NEW USD $49.95 Buy It Now 13h 18m
My Dying Bride - Dreadful Hour (CD Used Very Good) USD $14.87 Buy It Now 13h 47m
My Dying Bride - Vaulted Shadows - CD - New USD $13.50 Buy It Now 15h 29m
My Dying Bride - Dreadful Hours - CD - New USD $11.89 Buy It Now 15h 29m
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire - CD - New USD $11.89 Buy It Now 15h 29m
My Dying Bride - Songs of Darkness Words of Li - CD - New USD $11.89 Buy It Now 15h 29m
My Dying Bride - A Map of All Our Failures - CD - New USD $11.89 Buy It Now 15h 29m
My Dying Bride - Like Gods of the Sun - CD - New USD $11.89 Buy It Now 15h 29m
My Dying Bride - Angel & the Dark Rive - CD - New USD $11.89 Buy It Now 15h 29m
My Dying Bride - As the Flower Withers - CD - New USD $11.89 Buy It Now 15h 29m
My Dying Bride The Angel And The Dark River CD [Australian version] USD $11.53 Buy It Now 17h 51m
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers LP - 180 Gram Vinyl Album - SEALED Record USD $29.99 Buy It Now 18h 8m
@ CD MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS../PEACEVILLE 2004/DOOM METAL UK DIGIPACK USD $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 30m
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES NEW CD USD $13.08 Buy It Now 1 day
GOLGOTHA-MELANCHOLY-CD-OOP-REPULSE-death-doom-my dying bride-paradise lost USD $23.74 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness Words of Light CD 2004 Doom Metal Band - SAC USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride-Like Gods Of The Sun (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $9.69 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Introducing... 2xCD 2013 NEW SEALED USD $3.63 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride-Like Gods Of The Sun CD NEW USD $13.56 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE-MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES CD NEW USD $14.24 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - SYMPHONAIRE INFERNUS - 12" Vinyl - New USD $16.56 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride For Lies I Sire Vinyl 2 LP NEW sealed USD $35.26 Buy It Now 1 day
Mourning Beloveth - The Sullen Sulcus 2LP Death Doom Metal ffo My Dying Bride USD $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788% COMPLETE - LP Vinyl - New USD $24.63 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Light At the End of the World - Double LP - New USD $24.63 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Introducing My Dying Bride - Double CD - New USD $10.20 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride 34.788 Complete Vinyl 2 LP NEW sealed USD $35.94 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride-The Light at the End of the World CD NEW USD $13.56 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride The Angel and the Dark River cd sealed USD $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE-BARGHEST O `WHITBY VINYL LP NEW USD $30.34 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride: As The Flower Withers LP 180G Vinyl Record 2013 Peaceville NEW USD $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride I Am The Bloody Earth LP Vinyl Record 2016 Peaceville Germany NEW USD $18.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - A LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS CD HARD 'N' HEAVY / DOOM METAL NEW+ USD $15.96 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride Like God of the Sun 2XLP sealed Mint Gatefold import 2012 reissue USD $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
my dying bride a map of all our failures cd promo USD $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride ?- The Light At The End Of The World Vinyl 2LP 2014 NEW/SEALED USD $27.13 Buy It Now 1 day
NOX AUREA Ascending In Triumph CD MY DYING BRIDE/DRACONIAN/SWALLOW THE SUN NEW! USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FALL OF EMPYREAN-A LIFE SPENT DYING-CD-swallow the sun-my dying bride-doom-death USD $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride Like Gods Of The Sun Vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $35.94 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans USD $13.04 Buy It Now 1 day
BLOODSTOCK 06 my dying bride-framed original press release promo poster USD $14.56 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST Medusa POSTER My Dying Bride/Sentenced/Lake Of Tears/Vallenfyre !! USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Angel and the Dark River CD #G121653 USD $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods Of The Sun / 1996 / MC CASSETTE IN THE WOODS, KATATONIA USD $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE The Light At The End Of The World / 1999 / MC CASSETTE ( EX ) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun (NEW CD) USD $10.91 Buy It Now 2 days
SAVIOUR MACHINE II CD 1996 MASSACRE RECORDS THERION MOONSPELL MY DYING BRIDE USD $0.99 [1 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - DREADFUL HOURS/LTD.EDIT. NEW VINYL RECORD USD $34.08 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride-Introducing My Dying Bride (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $5.83 Buy It Now 2 days
TRISTANIA S/T CD THEATRE OF TRAGEDY MY DYING BRIDE KATATONIA TIAMAT CREMATORY USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
DEATH DOOM METAL CD LOT CUMDEO INSOMNIUM MY DYING BRIDE THERGOTHON CANDLEMASS USD $17.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - A LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS (VINYL) New USD $31.35 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - THE BARGHEST O' WHITBY (VINYL) New USD $27.98 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - THE DREADFUL HOURS (VINYL) New USD $34.18 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS (VINYL) New USD $34.18 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: A Map Of All Our Failures CD 2012 Peaceville Records Germany NEW USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: The Manuscript EP CD 2013 Peaceville Recs Germany CDVILES428 NEW USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride The Manuscript EP CD 2013 Peaceville Records Germany Slipcase NEW USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
An Ode to Woe [Digipak] by My Dying Bride (CD, 2013, 2 Discs, Peaceville Records USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - The Manuscript-EP (Limited Edition) [Vinyl Maxi-Single] /0* USD $26.99 Buy It Now 2 days
FOR LIES I SIRE - MY DYING BRIDE [CD] USD $11.02 Buy It Now 2 days
WHERE SHE WEPT - DOVE VIOLENCE + STICKER 2009 1PR EP CD *SEALED!* MY DYING BRIDE USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
WHERE SHE WEPT - NO MORE TO REGRET + STICKER + PATCH 1PR *SEALED* MY DYING BRIDE USD $34.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers [Vinyl LP] /0* USD $32.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE Meisterwerk 1 [Digipak] CD USD $4.88 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Light At The End Of The World (Limited Edition) [Vinyl LP] /0* USD $36.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - I Am The Bloody Earth [Vinyl Single] /0* USD $27.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - The Thrash Of Naked Limbs [Vinyl Single] /0* USD $32.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Feel The Misery [Vinyl LP] /0* USD $36.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - 34.788% Complete (Limited Edition) [Vinyl LP] /0* USD $36.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - A Map Of All Our Failures [Vinyl LP] /0* USD $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [Vinyl LP] /0* USD $36.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River [Vinyl LP] /0* USD $36.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - the Manuscript LP #82870 USD $29.06 Buy It Now 2 days
Trinity by My Dying Bride USD $7.04 Buy It Now 3 days
LAPSUS DEI-SADNESS REFLECTIONS-DIGI-doom-death-endimion-opeth-my dying bride USD $16.14 Buy It Now 3 days
CD MY DYING BRIDE 34.788%... COMPLETE BRAND NEW SEALED USD $13.95 Buy It Now 3 days
CD MY DYING BRIDE THE VOICE OF THE WRETCHED BRAND NEW SEALED USD $13.95 Buy It Now 3 days
CD MY DYING BRIDE THE DREADFUL HOURS BRAND NEW SEALED USD $13.95 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MY DYING BRIDE 34.788%...Complete ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE 34.788%...Complete reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars After the tepid reception of Like Gods Of The Sun, MDB changed the grunge oriented sound of that album to a more experimental direction. 34.788 %...Complete is an industrial and Goth-tinged alternative metal album where MDB tried to catch up with the genre defying music that The Gathering and Tiamat had released in the preceding years. It was very much a hit and miss again. 34.788 %...Complete has the potential of a good album but suffers from a number of shortcomings.

This becomes evident right from the start. The Whore, The Cook and The Mother has nice quiet atmospherics and great heavy Goth symphonic metal parts. But the problem is Aaron's vocal capabilities, or lack thereof. This is the third MDB album in a row where he only uses his singing voice, be it with a bit distortion on some tracks. His clean vocals are inexpressive and dreary, and since he can't convey any dynamics through them, the sinister power of his gruff vocals are surely missed.

A second problem is that each of the tracks is a least 3 minutes too long. There are simply not enough ideas or development in the music to keep them going for more then 5 minutes. Songs like Herion Chic and Apocalypse Woman would have been excellent had they been reduced to appropriate lengths. Now they're merely average. Only Under Your Wings manages to find the balance between length and substance.

Not the best MDB, but probably not as bad as advertised. 2.5 stars

Review by UMUR
4 stars 34.788%... Complete is the 5th full-length studio album by British doom metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released in October 1998 through Peaceville Records. There have been a few lineup changes since Like Gods of the Sun (1996) as drummer Rick Miah had been forced to leave the band because of health issues and violin/ keyboard player Martin Powell left because of musical differences. Apparently Martin Powell had stopped showing up at rehearsals and at some point resigned. The latter is replaced here by session keyboard player Jonny Maudling while the former ( Rick Miah) is replaced by Bill Law.

The music style on 34.788%... Complete is in many ways very different from the bandĀ“s earlier output, but at the end of the day still sounds unmistakably like My Dying Bride. One of the main reasons for the different sound is of course the lack of violin on the album. The violin parts had become one of the trademarks of the bandĀ“s sound and had been a dominant part of every album release up until 34.788%... Complete. Instead My Dying Bride opted to incorporate a lot more keyboards on this album compared to the earlier releases. Lead vocalist Aaron Stainthorpe had left the death metal growls behind a couple of albums ago and on this album he also exclusively sings using his clean voice. ThereĀ“s an experimental aura surrounding this album, and youĀ“ll find some of the most adventurous and ( dare I say) progressive ideas ever recorded by My Dying Bride on 34.788%... Complete. The track Heroin Chic is probably the most obvious example of a track that sounds very different from earlier material. ThereĀ“s an electronic edge to the song, and reciting type vocals in the vein of Nick Cave. The lyrics are also unusually brutal and vulgar with the use of multible swear words. Pretty far from the more usual romantic albeit depressive lyric style. Most songs feature unusual experiments though, so itĀ“s not exclusively Heroin Chic thatĀ“s different. One of my favorite moments on the album is the atmospheric section in the opening track The Whore, the Cook and the Mother, which features only clean guitar, keyboards and samples. That section really moves me, like very little music possess the power to do.

The production is professional and powerful, suiting the music perfectly.

34.788%... Complete is probably the most unconventional album yet released by My Dying Bride, and there are very different opinions about the album among fans and critics alike. IĀ“m one of those that really appreciate that the band had the guts to do something a bit different and I think they fully succeeded in their quest. 34.788%... Complete is among my favorites by My Dying Bride and IĀ“d say a 4 - 4.5 star rating is deserved.

Review by Warthur
2 stars Ew, guys, no, come on. 34.788%...Complete finds My Dying Bride radically experimenting with their sound, and whilst I can respect them for not simply settling into the mode established by The Angel and the Dark River and Like Gods of the Sun, it seems to me like they would have been better off saving these rough experiments for demos and practice sessions, and wait until their experiments had come up with some really solid results before recording an album.

The basic problem of the release is that it's trying to combine a more accessible and commercial sound with a deeply inaccessible compositional approach, with the band pivoting towards gothy-industrial rock in a sort of Marilyn Manson or Stabbing Westward vein in terms of their musical style but still basing their approach around long compositions. Unfortunately, unlike their superior doom and death-doom releases of the past, that length doesn't quite work this time around - more or less all the compositions end up somewhat flabby and could do with being extensively trimmed back. The overall impression is that the band really didn't seem to have much of a firm plan for this one and ended up meandering in all sorts of different directions which don't come together to form a pleasing whole.

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE, JR/F/Canterbury & Eclectic Teams
3 stars All great bands who experience some level of success face the same conundrum if they manage to stick around long enough to face it and that is the classic dilemma of simply following the same formula of the era that launched them into the limelight of their classic period or to sally forth into new experimental battlefields and tackle hitherto unexplored nooks and crannies of the musical world. While MY DYING BRIDE had already developed their classic sound before they released their debut album "As The Flower Withers," they successfully walked the tightrope of retaining their unique stylistic approach while changing things up slightly on all of their first four albums. However after the release of "Like Gods Of The Sun," big changes took place mostly by the departure of the one member, Martin Powell, the major component of the bands signature sound with his stellar violin and keyboard playing. Powell left MY DYING BRIDE and joined Anathema.

Instead of replacing him, MY DYING BRIDE decided to take the opportunity to leap into the world of the unexpected and crank out something unlike anything they'd done before and in the process, the electrifying violin of their previous albums had been completely dropped and would not return until 2009's "For Lies I Sire." If that wasn't enough drummer Rich Miah also jumped shipped and his shoes were filled by Bill Law. Like it or not big change was in the air and MY DYING BRIDE simply took the bull by the horns and cranked out the most out of character albums of their career with 34.788%?COMPLETE which fully embraced the quirky 90s values and steered their gothic doom metal vessels into the the seas of alternative metal, trip hop and the avant-garde. While boldly sailing into the unknown, this album has remained their most controversial moment which in many ways demonstrates the complacency of the metal fans in how they usually frown upon such departures from what came before.

There is no doubt that 34.788%?COMPLETE is a strange album indeed, not only for MY DYING BRIDE but for metal in general. Despite a radical new approach, this album for the most part is unmistakably performed by the doom metal pioneers who came before even without the violin as the synthesized atmospheric backdrop usurps the role albeit in a less effective way. While "Like Gods Of The Sun," opted for shorter more digestible tracks, 34.788%?COMPLETE jumps back into the sprawling epic approach of their earlier albums with most tracks having around the eight minute mark and the opening "The Whore, The Cook And The Mother" extending all the way to twelve. While the first chugging riffs and new vocal style of Aaron Stainthorpe buried under the muddy distorted riffs may sound like a completely new band, the compositional style renders clues with familiar musical flow, alternations between heavier passages and subdued ambient breathing time. This is MY DYING BRIDE, just a very strange version as if this was released in an alternate dimensional reality.

Perhaps the most identifying feature of 34.788%?COMPLETE is the liberal use of production techniques that allow electronica influenced reverberations, echoes effects and synthesized timbres decorate the otherwise heavy plodding doom riffs. Another different feature is the more dynamic use of the dual guitar attack of Andrew Craighan and Calvin Robertshaw as one relentlessly delivers heavily accented doom stomps while the other offers licks that implement pig squeals and even an occasional solo. Perhaps no other feature seems as alien as the trip hop techniques adopted from 90s acts such as Portishead and Massive Attack. While the eight minute track "Heroin Chic" is the standout in how it takes a simple electronic beat and structures minimalistic counterpoints around it while Stainthorpe and guest vocalist Michelle Richfield offer a strange back alley ritualistic salute to the drug scene, the truth is that the overall musical construct of the compositions retains a rather nonchalant trip hoppy free floating vector.

MY DYING BRIDE seemed like they could do no wrong with several albums delivering some of the most sophisticated take on doom metal that fans had ever heard however the response to 34.788%?COMPLETE was not a positive one as it alienated most fans expecting the next subtle step away from "Like Gods Of The Sun." Personally i don't find this album to be the horrible monster that it's made out to be. After all, MY DYING BRIDE were masters of adapting their goth doom sensibilities to the most extreme opposing musical forces and that is still the case with 34.788%?COMPLETE. The problem with this album is that it lacks consistency. While the initial tracks establish an acceptable new strain of their goth doom / alternative hybridization, the album derails in the middle with the admittedly irritating "Heroine Chic" which serves as an eight minute blackhole that completely extinguishes any acceptance of what could have been.

The track is followed by the mediocrity of "Apocalypse Woman" but regains steam with the bass heavy and return to doom guitar prominence splendor of "Base Level Erotica," which sounds most like a more familiar MY DYING BRIDE of yore complete with Stainthorpe's plaintive goth-tinged vocal style. For my money, 34.788%?COMPLETE is actually a decent album with a few fatal flaws. With a running time of approaching a full hour's length, the two aforementioned tracks should have simply been nixed from the final cut since they inconveniently slice through the alternative doom prowess established during the first part of the album and continued with the ending tracks "Base Level Erotica" and "Under Your Wingers And Into Your Arms." Yeah, experimentation is never guaranteed even for the most successful bands who feel they can take any liberties that they wish. 34.788%?COMPLETE was a bold move indeed and mostly works for me. If the two overlong middle tracks were removed this would be a 4 star album for me but as it is only a 3.5 since the remaining tracks are really strong examples of the unlikely mix of alternative goth doom.

3.5 rounded down

2 stars My Dying Bride lost the plot in a major way on this album. Following Paradise Lost's way to oblivion, My Dying Bride came up with an album full of goth rock and triphop, electronica and plain rock. Gone was the mournful doom metal My Dying Bride had made their trademark. Well, most of it, an ... (read more)

Report this review (#297622) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, September 6, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "34.788%...Complete"