SONGS OF DARKNESS, WORDS OF LIGHT

Sarah Stanton - keyboards
Shaun Taylor-Steels - drums

February 23, 2004
Peaceville Records

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness, Words of Light Music

Peaceville UK 2012
ManuscriptManuscript
EP
Peaceville UK 2013
MY DYING BRIDE - THE DREADFUL HOURS [DIGIPAK] [801056109026] - NEW CD US $6.80 Buy It Now 43m 20s
THE ORGAN FANZINE ISSUE 148 JAN 2006 - NINA HAGEN - LIARS - MY DYING BRIDE US $14.40 Buy It Now 1h
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS (180GM) NEW VINYL US $52.50 Buy It Now 1h 18m
MY DYING BRIDE MY BODY A FUNERAL WOVEN PATCH US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 34m
My Dying Bride: Turn Loose The Swans Special Edition 2 CD Set 2013 Digibook NEW US $15.95 Buy It Now 1h 39m
My Dying Bride : 34.788% ... Complete CD (2001) US $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 58m
AMORPHIS AM UNIVERSUM G/F LP LTD 300 2013 sentenced my dying bride death circle US $35.23 [0 bids]
NEX-ZERO-CD-doom-my dying bride-anathema-watain-nominon US $7.99 Buy It Now 10h 35m
KATATONIA FOR FUNERALS TO COME CD 1995 AV009 anathema my dying bride opeth US $26.99 Buy It Now 11h 26m
My dying bride - like gods of the sun LP first press VILE 65 US $125.00 Buy It Now 12h 33m
MORGION-SOLINARI-CD-OOP-melodic-doom-death-saturnus-my dying bride-anathema US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 38m
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE - NEW CD US $11.02 Buy It Now 12h 58m
KUOLEMANLAAKSO- Tulijoutsen cd Swallow The Sun Barren Earth My Dying Bride US $1.99 [2 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE- The Barghest Of Whitby cd Wounded Kings Paradise Lost Anathema US $11.47 [9 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE- The Manuscript cd Swallow The Sun Paradise Lost Anathema US $4.17 [6 bids]
1.MY DYING BRIDE-A LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS CDVILEF150X US $42.99 Buy It Now 15h 3m
MORGAIN Abandoned In The Forest... CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Kathatonia US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 12m
~ MY DYING BRIDE - Evinta ~ MUSIC 2 CD's US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 41m
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose the Swans US $12.29 Buy It Now 18h 46m
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES - CDVILEF407 US $17.59 Buy It Now 19h 25m
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [Vinyl New] US $44.98 Buy It Now 19h 31m
MY DYING BRIDE - A Map of All Our Failures US $12.51 Buy It Now 19h 36m
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [3 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $37.66 Buy It Now 20h 48m
MY DYING BRIDE-DREADFUL HOURS VINYL LP NEW US $34.92 Buy It Now 20h 55m
Mourning beloveth - Dust CD 2nd Press My dying bride Paradise Lost Ophis Evoken US $20.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride *GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD - ( 49 Songs ) US $4.95 [0 bids]
The Angel and the Dark River by My Dying Bride (Cassette, Feb-1996, Fierce) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LOT OF 24 CD's/GOTHIC-DOOM-DARK-METAL(My Dying Bride,The Gathering) US $24.90 [0 bids]
Mindrot 'Forlorn' RARE OOP. Evoken,My Dying Bride,Thergothon US $2.65 [1 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - AN ODE TO WOE [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD BOXSET US $14.11 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride-The Barghest O' Whitby LP (Limited to 1000) Doom Death Metal US $45.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - ODE TO WOE (W/BOOK) (+DVD) NEW CD US $22.93 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - Trinity:T-shirt NEW - LARGE ONLY US $26.46 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [2 DISCS] [801056832429] - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA NEW CD US $57.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST PRINTED PATCH MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA KATATONIA MOONSPELL CEMETARY US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE FOR LIES I SIRE SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE A LANE OF DEATHLESS KINGS SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST - IN REQUIEM CD my dying bride draconian orphaned land alcest US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - The Light at the end of the World - Tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers - Tape US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Evinta: Deluxe [CD New] US $40.64 Buy It Now 1 day
DRACONIAN - THE BURNING HALO CD MY DYING BRIDE SAMAEL NOVEMBERS DOOM OPETH US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF R1) US $15.94 Buy It Now 1 day
Sentenced: Frozen CD Katatonia Anathema My Dying Bride Opeth Paradise Lost US $2.00 [1 bids]
Sentenced: Down CD Katatonia Anathema My Dying Bride Opeth Paradise Lost US $2.00 [1 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE CASSETTE, Turn Loose The Swans, Futurist, Peaceville US $7.88 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE LIKE GODS OF THE SUN + 2 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Sentenced: The Funeral Album CD Katatonia Anathema My Dying Bride Opeth Charon US $1.25 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE logo white/black SWEATBAND official merchandise US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Charon: Dying Daylights CD Sentenced Katatonia Paradise Lost My Dying Bride US $4.25 [2 bids]
Amorphis: Skyforger CD Opeth Katatonia Evergrey My Dying Bride Paradise Lost US $4.10 [4 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES NEW VINYL US $41.56 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - ANGEL & THE DARK RIVER NEW VINYL US $41.56 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - The Angel And The Dark River - LP 1995 - FIRST PRESS!! RARE !! US $76.89 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [2LP] - 2013- New & Sealed US $30.40 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE-For Darkest Eyes DVD Paradise Lost Anathema Doom Black Sabbath US $3.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE "Trinity" (1st press,VERY RARE!!!) Phlebotomized,Saturnus US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - An Ode To Woe [CD New] US $17.09 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River [Vinyl New] US $28.90 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Map Of All Our Failures [Vinyl New] US $28.97 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride : The Voice of the Wretched CD (2008) US $11.09 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Albion (20th Ann Tour) Longsleeve T-shirt - NEW - LARGE ONLY US $35.29 Buy It Now 2 days
FATUM ELISUM-HOMO NIHILIS-doom-death-silencer-paradise lost-my dying bride US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE My Body A Funeral Mug NEW OFFICIAL US $9.60 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River/Live at the Dynamo '95 [Limited].. US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Map Of All Our Failures [CD New] US $14.83 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Angel and the Dark River (1996) NEW CD US $14.40 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers LP 6 Track With Inner Sleeve (vilelp479) EU US $34.59 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - TRINITY 2004 UK CD album + bonus tracks NEW & SEALED B2PP1 US $7.61 Buy It Now 2 days
SOLSTICE "Lamentations"ORG CD Candlelight 1994,Candlemass,My Dying Bride US $34.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES NEW CD US $22.93 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE**VAULTED SHADOWS**CD US $13.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Lycanthia - Oligarchy (Fans of My Dying Bride, Draconian, Theatre of Tragedy) US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
The Angel and the Dark River by My Dying Bride (CD, Feb-1996, Fierce) sealed US $17.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Damnation festival 2008 My dying bride/Carcass/Napalm death-2008 magazine advert US $8.00 Buy It Now 3 days
UNIVERSE217 self-titled CD JEWEL CASE Greek avant/prog doom swans my dying bride US $10.98 Buy It Now 3 days
And Here I Lie "Regrets" RARE/OOP Doom,Thorns of the Carrion,My Dying Bride US $28.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES - VINYL 2 LP record US $36.20 Buy It Now 3 days
Opeth - Blackwater Park (anthema,my dying bride,doom,death,metal,damnation,deli) US $47.50 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE EVINTA PATCH US $4.79 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride : An Ode To Woe: Live (CD/DVD) (2008) US $15.24 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 (2000) CD - NEW Sealed US $14.34 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride Evinta Ladies T-shirt NEW OFFICIAL size S(UK 8/10) US $14.02 Buy It Now 3 days
TO CAST A SHADOW In Memory Of DIGIPAK THE 3RD AND THE MORTAL MY DYING BRIDE US $13.00 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride Songs of Darkness Words of Light Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Light At The End Of The World Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride Introducing My Dying Bride CD US $9.34 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE Turn Loose The Swans 2xCD REISSUE UK experimental death/doom NEW US $15.98 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride-Angel & The Dark Rive CD NEW US $13.29 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE-Vaulted Shadows The CD NEW US $16.19 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride-Angel & The Dark River / Darke CD NEW US $16.19 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD (DIGIPACK) - NEW CD US $8.61 Buy It Now 3 days
The Angel and the Dark River by My Dying Bride (CD, 1995) NEW US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride CD Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium RARE OOP US $19.95 [1 bids]
My Dying Bride - Like Gods of the Sun (CD 2013) Digipack US $9.60 Buy It Now 3 days
Turn Loose the Swans by My Dying Bride (CD, Feb-1994, Futurist/Mayhem Records) US $2.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE the light at the end of the world NOTVD 2x SPLATTER LP anathema US $69.99 [0 bids]
Like Gods of the Sun by My Dying Bride (CD, Apr-2003, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness, Words of Light ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness, Words of Light reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars Ok I admit. I'm losing all my wits from album covers with decapitated naked women. There can be no other explanation for my high ratings of specifically those MDB albums with nudity content. This particular one is my MDB favourite and rates 4.5 severed heads.

The opening is majestic: thundering drums, heavy orchestral chords and sinister vocals open The Wreckage of My Flesh. Clean vocals, harmonic guitar and dark symphonic keyboards take over. The song maintains a slow doom metal pace but the music is very melodic and varied. Never overtly virtuosic but competent and precise, with almost 9 minutes it takes a couple of listens till it fully sinks in. On top of that, Aaron's clean vocals are as much an acquired taste as his black and death growls; they are very plaintive, monotonous and nasal but suit the music just fine.

The Scarlet Garden features all MDB ingredients and their typical epic song build up. Starting with a slow doom opening with heavy riffs and morose vocals, a second theme with clean guitar picking takes over until a heavier part answers again, a faster rocking section with death vocals sits in the middle. The clean guitars take over but do not simply repeat their first appearance. Beautiful strings are added taking the song into a splendid ending. If you though I was describing an Opeth song, you're not far off. MDB sure inspired Opeth, the similarities are evident. Bear in mind though that MDB never reach the level of musicianship that Opeth does. MDB's approach is more minimalist and bleak.

One of the most gripping songs is My Wine In Silence. It takes a clean start with guitar plonking that sits somewhere between The Cure and post-rock. The mesmerizing atmosphere is broken with an alternate theme with shrieking vocals over a dead-evil riff with clean guitars, giving it a very terrifying and spine chilling effect. The second part reprises the two main themes but with heavy doom guitars. MDB had always been very clever at arranging their songs with more then the basic metal components. On The Prize of Beauty the organs are the eye-catcher, it's a bombastic epic that combines mid paced death metal and more melodic slower parts.

If you were still waiting for some catchy verse-chorus doom metal, you'd better give up. MDB steer their music in whatever direction the songs demand. The two closing tracks are magnificent adventures, with creepy Lord of The Rings atmospheres, uncanny orc voices and dark vapours of doom. Probably completely over the top for normal people but MDB manage to avoid becoming a vulgar pastiche. They don't force themselves to sound any different then the music that boils up in their dark decadent minds. The three closing minutes of A Doomed Lover are a continuous repetition of two instrumental harmonic themes but the effect is simply stunning and equals the devastating power of the closing minutes of Opeth's Blackwater Park.

Songs of Darkness is an astounding MDB album that balances out perfectly between their melodic, morose and dark epic tendencies. It has both heavy progressive doom death and subtlety, beauty and grimness. It's more digestible then the first albums and an excellent introduction to the band. Recommended to people that would find a mix of Opeth and Sabbath fronted by Gollem an alluring idea.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#262283) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 24, 2010

Review by UMUR
4 stars "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is the 8th full-length studio album by UK doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released in February 2004 by Peaceville Records. "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" marks the debut of keyboardist Sarah Stanton. While The "Dreadful Hours (2001)" was a solid release, it wasn´t exactly a release that made my blood boil but thankfully "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" puts the band back on the right track.

The music on the album is doom metal with both clean paatos filled vocals and death growls. Add to that poetic/ goth romantic lyrics. As such this is the style of music My Dying Bride have played throughout most of their career. Each release by the band have had their own unique sound though and "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is no different in that respect. Compared to "Dreadful Hours", "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is generally a darker and less goth tinged album. Aaron Stainthorpe´s growls have never sounded as inspired than they do here and I sense some real emotion behind his delivery. I´m generally not the greatest fan of his growling style, which I on occassion have found lifeless and lacking in emotion, but he has defitinely gotten his act together on this album, even adding a blackened sneering touch at times.

The tracks are well composed and I find myself both moved and entertained. The contrasts between the light and dark sections in the music work really well on this album. The atmosphere is melancholic and it suits the heavy and doomy music well. The keyboards are generally tasteful and on occassion add a symphonic touch, but they seldom dominate the music which is a successful choice IMO.

I enjoy the more dark direction and heavier more brutal style on "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" and as the sound production follows suit and provides a powerful dark sound to the music everything just click on this album. The band excel in intriguing song structures and details to keep the listener entertained and I´m actually pretty impressed by the high quality level of the compositions. Tracks like "The Wreckage of My Flesh" and "Catherine Blake" are excellent to say the least.

"Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is IMO one of the better My Dying Bride albums in their quite large discography and I can highly recommend a purchase of the album. I´d say a 4 star rating is fully deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#471310) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011

4 stars The album that made me return to My Dying Bride again. I am a big fan of their first albums. I am not a fan of those albums where My Dying Bride got lost and tried to be something they are not. But this album is their comeback album as far as I am concerned. The album title is pretty des ... (read more)

Report this review (#296281) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light"