SONGS OF DARKNESS, WORDS OF LIGHT

Sarah Stanton - keyboards
Shaun Taylor-Steels - drums

February 23, 2004
Peaceville Records

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness, Words of Light Music

Peaceville Records/Ka 2004
Angel & The Dark RiverAngel & The Dark River
Remastered · Extra tracks
Peaceville UK 2003
THE GATHERING Always 2LP EPICA, OPETH, AMORPHIS, MY DYING BRIDE, TIAMAT ANATHEMA US $29.99 [0 bids]
53m 50s
ANATHEMA ETERNITY LP + INSERT 1996 PEACEVILLE FIRST PRESS my dying bride opeth US $69.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
CD: Manuscript (EP) - My Dying Bride - Sealed US $15.36 Buy It Now 5h 20m
MY DYING BRIDE LIKE GODS OF THE SUN LP + INSERT 1996 PEACEVILLE anathema opeth US $79.99 Buy It Now 7h
My Dying Bride - Evinta: Deluxe CD US $59.28 Buy It Now 7h 17m
My Dying Bride - Voice Of The Wretched CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 7h 17m
My Dying Bride - Map Of All Our Failures CD US $20.02 Buy It Now 7h 17m
My Dying Bride - An Ode To Woe CD US $19.88 Buy It Now 7h 17m
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 7h 18m
My Dying Bride - Map Of All Our Failures Vinyl Record LP US $37.47 Buy It Now 7h 43m
MY DYING BRIDE - TRINITY + 1 - CDVILED46 US $13.89 Buy It Now 7h 56m
MY DYING BRIDE - THE ANGEL AND THE DARK..CD+DVD - CDVILED260X US $20.73 Buy It Now 7h 56m
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA (SPECIAL EDITION DIGIBOOK) - CDVILEF302X US $25.77 Buy It Now 7h 56m
MY DYING BRIDE - LIGHT AT THE END - CDVILED79 US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 58m
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788% COMPLETE - CDVILED74 US $13.89 Buy It Now 7h 58m
MY DYING BRIDE - AS THE FLOWERS WITHERS - CDVILED32 US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 58m
MY DYING BRIDE - LIKE GODS OF THE SUN - CDVILED65 US $13.89 Buy It Now 7h 58m
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS - CDVILED39 US $15.29 Buy It Now 7h 58m
MY DYING BRIDE - DREADFUL HOURS - CDVILED90 US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 58m
MY DYING BRIDE - VOICE OF THE WRETCHED - CDVILED117 US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 58m
MY DYING BRIDE - ANGEL & THE DARK RIVER - CDVILED50 US $14.84 Buy It Now 8h 5m
MY DYING BRIDE A Map Of Our Failure 2x 180gm Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $35.56 Buy It Now 8h 13m
MOURNERS LAMENT - Unbroken Solemnity CD 2008 Original Doom Rare My Dying Bride US $19.95 [0 bids]
IN LOVING MEMORY - Tragedy & Moon CD 2008 Orig Anathema My Dying Bride Tiamat US $7.77 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Light At The End Of The World (NEW CD) US $15.68 Buy It Now 11h 20m
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun, Import, doom, lost, anathema, opeth, slayer US $2.99 [0 bids]
DRACONIAN - RARE LIVE IN TEL AVIV FLYER 2009 ANATHEMA MY DYING BRIDE US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 40m
The Angel and the Dark River [Bonus Tracks] [Digipak] by My Dying Bride (CD,... US $10.01 Buy It Now 11h 53m
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [Vinyl New] US $28.97 Buy It Now 11h 54m
The Dreadful Hours [Digipak] by My Dying Bride (CD, Apr-2004,... US $9.50 Buy It Now 11h 57m
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun (Digipak) (NEW CD) US $15.68 Buy It Now 12h
MY DYING BRIDE - A LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS - CDVILED289 US $15.62 Buy It Now 12h 39m
MY DYING BRIDE THE DREADFUL HOURS DIGIPACK CD US $11.00 Buy It Now 14h 2m
MY DYING BRIDE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD US $11.00 Buy It Now 14h 2m
LP MY DYING BRIDE - The Dreadful Hours US $61.00 [2 bids]
REVELATIONS OF RAIN 2013 Deceptive Virtue CD Doom Death Ophis My Dying Bride US $13.64 Buy It Now 16h 3m
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.89 Buy It Now 16h 5m
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers - Cassette US $8.00 Buy It Now 16h 27m
My Dying Bride - The Light At The End Of The World - Cassette US $7.00 Buy It Now 16h 27m
My Dying Bride - 34.788%... - Cassette US $8.00 Buy It Now 16h 27m
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun - Cassette US $12.00 Buy It Now 16h 27m
PARADISE LOST: Faith Divides Us, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Sentenced, Insomnium US $6.66 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Dreadful Hours Vinyl US $99.99 Buy It Now 20h 49m
Turn Loose the Swans by My Dying Bride (CD, Aug-2003, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $9.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE**A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $24.99 Buy It Now 22h 49m
ANATHEMA -A Fine Day to Exit CD,Amorphis,Katatonia,Opeth,My Dying Bride,Agalloch US $5.18 [2 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE -Light at the End of the World CD,Amorphis,Katatonia,Opeth,Tiamat US $3.77 [1 bids]
SILENT STREAM OF GODLESS ELEGY-RELIC DANCES NEW LP MY DYING BRIDE DOOM/DEATH US $44.99 Buy It Now 1 day
COLD COLOURS-COLD COLOURS (2013) US DARK METAL ROTTING CHRIST MY DYING BRIDE US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788%...COMPLETE, GREEN vinyl LP, 700 COPIES! NEW - SEALED! US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Evinta (2010) - Used - Compact Disc US $10.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Silent Stream of Godless Elegy-Navaz cd new Root My Dying bride folk doom metal US $13.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - The Light At The End Of The World (CD 1999) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 CD US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers CD ORG 1992 Vile Peaceville RARE Nimbus US $18.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE**LIKE GODS OF THE SUN**CD US $10.34 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Evinta CD US $20.32 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA "Resonance" 2 CD SET (Death/Doom/Progressive Metal) MY DYING BRIDE US $9.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun 2 LP Vinyl Record LP US $37.47 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Like Gods Of The Sun - 1996 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.64 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER/DARKEST EYES [CD/DVD] - NEW CD BOXSET US $11.22 Buy It Now 2 days
NECARE-RUIN-CD-doom-death-anathema-my dying bride-mourning beloveth US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THERGOTHON Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth LP unholy demilich beherit my dying bride von US $45.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun (CD 1996) US $13.39 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Angel & the Dark River (1996) CD US $13.39 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE PHOTO) (REF K) US $7.64 Buy It Now 2 days
DOMINION Interface RARE JAPAN CD OBI PCCY-01033 Nailed My Dying Bride US $9.99 [0 bids]
CRADLE OF FILTH Embroidered Logo PATCH MY DYING BRIDE AT THE GATES DIMMU BORGIR US $5.39 Buy It Now 2 days
THE GARDNERZ Embroidered Logo PATCH My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Anathema US $5.39 Buy It Now 2 days
Ashes You Leave - The Passage Back of Life CD 1999 SEALED My Dying Bride US $3.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride: As The Flower Withers CD 2004 Bonus Track Super Jewel Box NEW US $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: Turn Loose The Swans CD 2003 Reissue Bonus Tracks CDVILED39 NEW US $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Shape of Despair cd new Thergothon Amorphis Daylight Dies My Dying Bride doom US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: For Darkest Eyes (DVD) [USG] US $15.68 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: Sinamarata (DVD) [USG] US $11.87 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: Introducing 2 CD Set 2012 Best Of Greatest Hits Compilation NEW US $11.95 Buy It Now 2 days
MARCHE FUNEBRE-TO DROWN-CD-dark-anathema-my dying bride-katatonia-doom-death US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE "Trinity" (1st press,VERY RARE!!!) Phlebotomized,Saturnus US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride-A line of deathless kings-CD BOX-2006-Peaceville-used US $14.66 Buy It Now 3 days
KATATONIA FOR FUNERALS TO COME CD 1995 AV009 anathema my dying bride opeth US $26.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Trinity - Polish Release US $11.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES BEANIE SKI HAT US $20.35 Buy It Now 3 days
HEDON CRIES - Affliction's Fiction (CD 2007) Anathema My Dying Bride Saturnus US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PARADISE LOST Icon LIMITED DIGI 1993 Music For Nations My Dying Bride Anathema US $55.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma CD 1995 GLOBUS My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Gathering US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR DARKEST EYES - *NEW DVD* *SEALED* US $7.57 Buy It Now 3 days
3 BOX SET FROM:MY DYING BRIDE PARADISE LOST KATATONIA US $89.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE ANGEL & DARK RIVER SPECIAL UKR. EDITION ODYSSEY DOOM METAL US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE FOR LIES I SIRE SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $19.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE A LANE OF DEATHLESS KINGS SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $19.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE MY BODY A FUNERAL WOVEN PATCH US $5.50 Buy It Now 3 days
beseech - drama, type o negative moonspell darkseed tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
darkseed - spellcraft , type o negative moonspell tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Serenades + Extra Tracks CD 1993 Peaceville/Futurist my dying bride US $5.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Eternity CD Digipak doom metal goth katatonia my dying bride prog US $3.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Judgement CD goth katatonia my dying bride prog rock pink floyd US $3.00 [0 bids]
My DYING BRIDE As The Flower Withers CD Peaceville (CDVILE 32) (5020157103220) US $10.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness, Words of Light ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness, Words of Light reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars Ok I admit. I'm losing all my wits from album covers with decapitated naked women. There can be no other explanation for my high ratings of specifically those MDB albums with nudity content. This particular one is my MDB favourite and rates 4.5 severed heads.

The opening is majestic: thundering drums, heavy orchestral chords and sinister vocals open The Wreckage of My Flesh. Clean vocals, harmonic guitar and dark symphonic keyboards take over. The song maintains a slow doom metal pace but the music is very melodic and varied. Never overtly virtuosic but competent and precise, with almost 9 minutes it takes a couple of listens till it fully sinks in. On top of that, Aaron's clean vocals are as much an acquired taste as his black and death growls; they are very plaintive, monotonous and nasal but suit the music just fine.

The Scarlet Garden features all MDB ingredients and their typical epic song build up. Starting with a slow doom opening with heavy riffs and morose vocals, a second theme with clean guitar picking takes over until a heavier part answers again, a faster rocking section with death vocals sits in the middle. The clean guitars take over but do not simply repeat their first appearance. Beautiful strings are added taking the song into a splendid ending. If you though I was describing an Opeth song, you're not far off. MDB sure inspired Opeth, the similarities are evident. Bear in mind though that MDB never reach the level of musicianship that Opeth does. MDB's approach is more minimalist and bleak.

One of the most gripping songs is My Wine In Silence. It takes a clean start with guitar plonking that sits somewhere between The Cure and post-rock. The mesmerizing atmosphere is broken with an alternate theme with shrieking vocals over a dead-evil riff with clean guitars, giving it a very terrifying and spine chilling effect. The second part reprises the two main themes but with heavy doom guitars. MDB had always been very clever at arranging their songs with more then the basic metal components. On The Prize of Beauty the organs are the eye-catcher, it's a bombastic epic that combines mid paced death metal and more melodic slower parts.

If you were still waiting for some catchy verse-chorus doom metal, you'd better give up. MDB steer their music in whatever direction the songs demand. The two closing tracks are magnificent adventures, with creepy Lord of The Rings atmospheres, uncanny orc voices and dark vapours of doom. Probably completely over the top for normal people but MDB manage to avoid becoming a vulgar pastiche. They don't force themselves to sound any different then the music that boils up in their dark decadent minds. The three closing minutes of A Doomed Lover are a continuous repetition of two instrumental harmonic themes but the effect is simply stunning and equals the devastating power of the closing minutes of Opeth's Blackwater Park.

Songs of Darkness is an astounding MDB album that balances out perfectly between their melodic, morose and dark epic tendencies. It has both heavy progressive doom death and subtlety, beauty and grimness. It's more digestible then the first albums and an excellent introduction to the band. Recommended to people that would find a mix of Opeth and Sabbath fronted by Gollem an alluring idea.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#262283) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 24, 2010

Review by UMUR
4 stars "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is the 8th full-length studio album by UK doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released in February 2004 by Peaceville Records. "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" marks the debut of keyboardist Sarah Stanton. While The "Dreadful Hours (2001)" was a solid release, it wasn´t exactly a release that made my blood boil but thankfully "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" puts the band back on the right track.

The music on the album is doom metal with both clean paatos filled vocals and death growls. Add to that poetic/ goth romantic lyrics. As such this is the style of music My Dying Bride have played throughout most of their career. Each release by the band have had their own unique sound though and "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is no different in that respect. Compared to "Dreadful Hours", "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is generally a darker and less goth tinged album. Aaron Stainthorpe´s growls have never sounded as inspired than they do here and I sense some real emotion behind his delivery. I´m generally not the greatest fan of his growling style, which I on occassion have found lifeless and lacking in emotion, but he has defitinely gotten his act together on this album, even adding a blackened sneering touch at times.

The tracks are well composed and I find myself both moved and entertained. The contrasts between the light and dark sections in the music work really well on this album. The atmosphere is melancholic and it suits the heavy and doomy music well. The keyboards are generally tasteful and on occassion add a symphonic touch, but they seldom dominate the music which is a successful choice IMO.

I enjoy the more dark direction and heavier more brutal style on "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" and as the sound production follows suit and provides a powerful dark sound to the music everything just click on this album. The band excel in intriguing song structures and details to keep the listener entertained and I´m actually pretty impressed by the high quality level of the compositions. Tracks like "The Wreckage of My Flesh" and "Catherine Blake" are excellent to say the least.

"Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is IMO one of the better My Dying Bride albums in their quite large discography and I can highly recommend a purchase of the album. I´d say a 4 star rating is fully deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#471310) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011

4 stars The album that made me return to My Dying Bride again. I am a big fan of their first albums. I am not a fan of those albums where My Dying Bride got lost and tried to be something they are not. But this album is their comeback album as far as I am concerned. The album title is pretty des ... (read more)

Report this review (#296281) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light"