SONGS OF DARKNESS, WORDS OF LIGHT

Sarah Stanton - keyboards
Shaun Taylor-Steels - drums

February 23, 2004
Peaceville Records

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness, Words of Light Music

Vaulted ShadowsVaulted Shadows
Peaceville UK 2014
As the Flower WithersAs the Flower Withers
Extra tracks
Peaceville UK 2004
An Ode To Woe: Live (CD/DVD)An Ode To Woe: Live (CD/DVD)
Peaceville 2008
For Lies I SireFor Lies I Sire
Peaceville UK 2009
Light at the End of the WorldLight at the End of the World
Peaceville UK 2004
Map of All Our Failures [CD/DVD] [Bonus Track] by My Dying Bride (CD,... US $21.08 Buy It Now 2h 7m
And Here I Lie "Regrets" RARE/OOP Doom,Thorns of the Carrion,My Dying Bride US $28.00 Buy It Now 3h 27m
CELESTIAL SEASON Flowerskin 7" Original 1993 Witchhunt MY DYING BRIDE OPETH US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 47m
My Dying Bride: The Voice Of The Wretched CD 2002 Peaceville Records UK Digipak US $10.95 Buy It Now 5h 44m
My Dying Bride: An Ode To Woe CD DVD Set 2008 Peaceville CDVILEF207X Digibook US $14.95 Buy It Now 5h 49m
My Dying Bride: As The Flower Withers CD 1992 Fierce Peaceville Vile 11081-2 US $14.95 Buy It Now 5h 53m
My Dying Bride: Turn Loose The Swans CD 1994 Peaceville / Futurist 9086-11046-2 US $14.95 Buy It Now 5h 56m
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 (CD, Nov-2000, PEACEVILLE) UK US $1.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - TRINITY (CD, 1995, Futurist/ FIERCE Recordings) US $7.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 [CD New] US $10.69 Buy It Now 6h 31m
beseech - drama, type o negative moonspell darkseed tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
darkseed - spellcraft , type o negative moonspell tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788%...COMPLETE (1998,2001 PEACEVILLE RECORDS, UK) CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT 2004 PEACEVILLE RECORDS, UK CD US $5.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE-MEISTERWERK 1 (SEALED CD) (ENHANCED WITH VIDEO TRACK) US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 14m
My Dying Bride - Evinta (2011) - New - Compact Disc US $13.21 Buy It Now 9h 20m
MY DYING BRIDE original CD "The trash of naked limbs" 1992 on Peaceville US $32.49 Buy It Now 10h 9m
MY DYING BRIDE original CD "Like gods of the sun" 1996 on Peaceville US $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 14m
MY DYING BRIDE original CD "The angel and the dark river" 1995 on Peaceville US $12.49 Buy It Now 10h 14m
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans (2013) - New - Compact Disc US $10.60 Buy It Now 13h 55m
MARCHE FUNEBRE-NORIZON-CD-gloomy-dark-anathema-my dying bride-doom-death US $8.99 Buy It Now 14h 9m
SENTENCED Shadows of The Past LP w/poster PARADISE LOST AMORPHIS MY DYING BRIDE US $16.50 [1 bids]
UNSILENCE Under A Torn Sky LP MY DYING BRIDE OPETH PENTAGRAM SAINT VITUS US $11.00 [0 bids]
21h
MY DYING BRIDE - The Dreadful Hours - 2001 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.71 Buy It Now 22h 3m
MY DYING BRIDE "Symphonaire Infernus Et Spyra Emporium" ORG 1st press RARE OOP!! US $55.00 Buy It Now 22h 54m
MY DYING BRIDE. trinity LICENSED STICKER US $4.28 Buy It Now 23h 2m
MY DYING BRIDE 2 CD ALBUMS - SONGS OF DARKNESS...- A Line Of Deathless Kings. US $10.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - A Map Of All Our Failures (NEW CD) US $20.98 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES SEALED CD NEW 2013 US $6.18 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - An Ode To Woe NEW CD US $14.86 Buy It Now 1 day
The Vaulted Shadows [5/26] * by My Dying Bride (CD, May-2014, Peaceville... US $11.43 Buy It Now 1 day
Paramaecium Exhumed of the Earth CD Rex Records My Dying Bride Horde Antestor US $14.99 [0 bids]
Paramaecium Within the Ancient Foreest CD Pleitegeier Records My Dying Bride US $14.99 [0 bids]
Paramaecium Echoes From the Ground CD Veridon My Dying Bride Horde Antestor US $14.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - My Body is a Funeral DOG TAG - NEW in AUSTRALIA US $13.16 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - JUDGMENT - 1999 CD - KATATONIA PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE ALCEST US $7.21 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - ALTERNATIVE 4 - 2003 CD - KATATONIA PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE US $7.21 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride *GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD - ( 49 Songs ) US $6.85 [0 bids]
AMORPHIS Tuonela G/F LP 2013 anathema my dying bride in flames opeth nightwish US $31.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Voice Of The Wretched [CD New] US $11.47 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - The Angel And The Dark River / Japan US $9.50 [3 bids]
My Dying Bride "The Voice of the Wretched" Live Album, paradise lost, katatonia US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KATATONIA "Dead End Kings", CD NEW, my dying bride, paradise lost, the gathering US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [2 DISCS] [801056830227] - NEW CD BOXSET US $13.67 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - The Voice Of The Wretched (NEW CD) US $15.84 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - 34.788% Complete (NEW CD) US $15.84 Buy It Now 1 day
COLD COLOURS s/t CD Gothic Doom My Dying Bride US $6.66 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE DELUXE LTD ED SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT CD BOX SET W/POSTE US $25.00 [0 bids]
GARDENIAN SOULBURNER PROMO CD 1999 NEAR MINT OOP HTF MY DYING BRIDE LEAVES EYES US $15.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans (Special Edition) - New 2013 2 x CD Set n US $15.34 Buy It Now 2 days
CONFUSION CORPORATION Demo 94 My Dying Bride Prophecy of Doom US $9.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride: The Vaulted Shadows CD 2014 Peaceville Germany CDVILEDH509 NEW US $15.95 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - AS THE FLOWER WITHERS - SEALED VINYL - lp record US $30.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - ANGEL & THE DARK RIVER (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.87 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST LOST PARADISE PICTURE LP 1990 PEACEVILLE anathema my dying bride US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST just say words ORIG VINYL LP (1997) my dying bride katatonia US $19.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride / Turn Loose the Swans JAPAN+1 OOP!!!!! *I US $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: The Angel And Dark River / For Darkest Eyes CD + DVD Set 2010 US $14.95 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride: Turn Loose The Swans CD 2003 Reissue Bonus Tracks CDVILED39 Digi US $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE THE DREADFUL HOURS SEALED CD NEW US $5.70 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT SEALED CD NEW US $5.70 Buy It Now 3 days
VERITATE-The rise of Hatröss LP/katatonia/paradise lost/my dying bride/voivod US $15.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride: Evinta 2 CD 2011 Peaceville Limited Special Edition Digibook NEW US $16.95 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River [CD New] US $11.47 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
THORR'S HAMMER - DOMMEDAGSNATT CD DOOM SUNN O))) FEMALE DEATH MY DYING BRIDE US $6.66 [0 bids]
Angel & The Dark River, My Dying Bride, Good US $6.70 Buy It Now 3 days
Trinity [Bonus Tracks] by My Dying Bride (CD, Jan-2013, Peaceville Records... US $7.58 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER Tape BUY UP TO 4 N PAY SHIPP FOR 1 US $7.90 Buy It Now 3 days
Songs of Darkness, Words of Light - My Dying Bride (CD Only) No Art Read Listing US $0.01 [0 bids]
CHALICE OF DOOM Into Hypnagogia MY DYING BRIDE PARADISE LOST SATURNUS DRACONIAN US $13.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Theatre of Tragedy self-titled 1995 death doom My Dying Bride Katatonia US $4.99 [0 bids]
Like Gods of the Sun [Bonus Tracks] by My Dying Bride (CD, Apr-2003,... US $9.19 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE Trinity DIGIPACK CD "BRAND NEW & SEALED US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 3 days
VICTIMS OF CREATION Symmetry Of Our Plagued Existence CATHEDRAL MY DYING BRIDE US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - The Vaulted Shadows (NEW CD) US $18.41 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun, Import, doom, lost, anathema, opeth, slayer US $8.00 [0 bids]
Introducing My Dying Bride US $12.36 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire NEW CD US $14.86 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride The Angel And The Dark River UK Cassette Tape US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride: A Map Of All Our Failures CD 2012 Peaceville CDVILEF407 NEW US $12.95 Buy It Now 4 days
My Dying Bride: Trinity CD 2004 Bonus Tracks Peaceville UK CDVILED46 Digipak NEW US $12.95 Buy It Now 4 days
My Dying Bride - Light At The End Of The World [CD New] US $11.47 Buy It Now 4 days
PARADISE LOST - IN REQUIEM CD my dying bride draconian orphaned land alcest US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE - LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.87 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE - TRINITY [MY DYING BRIDE] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $9.94 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES - NEW CD US $13.52 Buy It Now 4 days
SATURNUS Saturn In Ascension CD!! DISEMBOWELMENT MY DYING BRIDE US $0.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun CD org 1996 Mayhem/Fierce Records promo US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Katatonia 'Saw You Drown' vinyl EP, rare, Opeth, Anathema, My Dying Bride US $15.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE - NEW CD US $11.51 Buy It Now 4 days
Introducing... by My Dying Bride (CD, Apr-2013, 2 Discs, Recall) US $7.15 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE:Deeper Down:T-shirt NEW:SMALL ONLY US $28.20 Buy It Now 4 days
FATUM ELISUM s/t CD French deathdoom my dying bride, silencer, paradise lost US $11.98 Buy It Now 4 days
FATUM ELISUM Homo Nihilis CD French deathdoom my dying bride paradise lost DOOM US $11.98 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE:Evinta:Ladies/Girls Shirt NEW:Size 12 US $28.20 Buy It Now 4 days
SARALEE Damnation to Salvation CD my dying bride gothic US $4.95 Buy It Now 4 days
My Dying Bride Light At The End Of The World CD Doom Metal US $9.36 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS - CDVILED110 US $14.14 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness, Words of Light ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness, Words of Light reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars Ok I admit. I'm losing all my wits from album covers with decapitated naked women. There can be no other explanation for my high ratings of specifically those MDB albums with nudity content. This particular one is my MDB favourite and rates 4.5 severed heads.

The opening is majestic: thundering drums, heavy orchestral chords and sinister vocals open The Wreckage of My Flesh. Clean vocals, harmonic guitar and dark symphonic keyboards take over. The song maintains a slow doom metal pace but the music is very melodic and varied. Never overtly virtuosic but competent and precise, with almost 9 minutes it takes a couple of listens till it fully sinks in. On top of that, Aaron's clean vocals are as much an acquired taste as his black and death growls; they are very plaintive, monotonous and nasal but suit the music just fine.

The Scarlet Garden features all MDB ingredients and their typical epic song build up. Starting with a slow doom opening with heavy riffs and morose vocals, a second theme with clean guitar picking takes over until a heavier part answers again, a faster rocking section with death vocals sits in the middle. The clean guitars take over but do not simply repeat their first appearance. Beautiful strings are added taking the song into a splendid ending. If you though I was describing an Opeth song, you're not far off. MDB sure inspired Opeth, the similarities are evident. Bear in mind though that MDB never reach the level of musicianship that Opeth does. MDB's approach is more minimalist and bleak.

One of the most gripping songs is My Wine In Silence. It takes a clean start with guitar plonking that sits somewhere between The Cure and post-rock. The mesmerizing atmosphere is broken with an alternate theme with shrieking vocals over a dead-evil riff with clean guitars, giving it a very terrifying and spine chilling effect. The second part reprises the two main themes but with heavy doom guitars. MDB had always been very clever at arranging their songs with more then the basic metal components. On The Prize of Beauty the organs are the eye-catcher, it's a bombastic epic that combines mid paced death metal and more melodic slower parts.

If you were still waiting for some catchy verse-chorus doom metal, you'd better give up. MDB steer their music in whatever direction the songs demand. The two closing tracks are magnificent adventures, with creepy Lord of The Rings atmospheres, uncanny orc voices and dark vapours of doom. Probably completely over the top for normal people but MDB manage to avoid becoming a vulgar pastiche. They don't force themselves to sound any different then the music that boils up in their dark decadent minds. The three closing minutes of A Doomed Lover are a continuous repetition of two instrumental harmonic themes but the effect is simply stunning and equals the devastating power of the closing minutes of Opeth's Blackwater Park.

Songs of Darkness is an astounding MDB album that balances out perfectly between their melodic, morose and dark epic tendencies. It has both heavy progressive doom death and subtlety, beauty and grimness. It's more digestible then the first albums and an excellent introduction to the band. Recommended to people that would find a mix of Opeth and Sabbath fronted by Gollem an alluring idea.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#262283) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 24, 2010

Review by UMUR
4 stars "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is the 8th full-length studio album by UK doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released in February 2004 by Peaceville Records. "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" marks the debut of keyboardist Sarah Stanton. While The "Dreadful Hours (2001)" was a solid release, it wasn´t exactly a release that made my blood boil but thankfully "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" puts the band back on the right track.

The music on the album is doom metal with both clean paatos filled vocals and death growls. Add to that poetic/ goth romantic lyrics. As such this is the style of music My Dying Bride have played throughout most of their career. Each release by the band have had their own unique sound though and "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is no different in that respect. Compared to "Dreadful Hours", "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is generally a darker and less goth tinged album. Aaron Stainthorpe´s growls have never sounded as inspired than they do here and I sense some real emotion behind his delivery. I´m generally not the greatest fan of his growling style, which I on occassion have found lifeless and lacking in emotion, but he has defitinely gotten his act together on this album, even adding a blackened sneering touch at times.

The tracks are well composed and I find myself both moved and entertained. The contrasts between the light and dark sections in the music work really well on this album. The atmosphere is melancholic and it suits the heavy and doomy music well. The keyboards are generally tasteful and on occassion add a symphonic touch, but they seldom dominate the music which is a successful choice IMO.

I enjoy the more dark direction and heavier more brutal style on "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" and as the sound production follows suit and provides a powerful dark sound to the music everything just click on this album. The band excel in intriguing song structures and details to keep the listener entertained and I´m actually pretty impressed by the high quality level of the compositions. Tracks like "The Wreckage of My Flesh" and "Catherine Blake" are excellent to say the least.

"Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is IMO one of the better My Dying Bride albums in their quite large discography and I can highly recommend a purchase of the album. I´d say a 4 star rating is fully deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#471310) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011

4 stars The album that made me return to My Dying Bride again. I am a big fan of their first albums. I am not a fan of those albums where My Dying Bride got lost and tried to be something they are not. But this album is their comeback album as far as I am concerned. The album title is pretty des ... (read more)

Report this review (#296281) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light"