SONGS OF DARKNESS, WORDS OF LIGHT

Sarah Stanton - keyboards
Shaun Taylor-Steels - drums

February 23, 2004
Peaceville Records

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness, Words of Light Music

Vaulted ShadowsVaulted Shadows
Peaceville UK 2014
EvintaEvinta
Peaceville / Snapper 2011
An Ode To Woe: Live (CD/DVD)An Ode To Woe: Live (CD/DVD)
Peaceville 2008
Peaceville UK 2007
ManuscriptManuscript
EP
Peaceville UK 2013
MY DYING BRIDE - Like Gods Of The Sun - 1996 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.47 Buy It Now 2h 12m
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 NEW CD Paradise Lost Anathema Saturnus US $2.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS NEW CD US $19.21 Buy It Now 6h 7m
ALBEZ DUZ DIGI-CD PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE TIAMAT BLACK WIDOW GHOST HUATA US $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 10m
ALEXANDER GLAVNIY Without Waste Words AUTUMNIA OFFICIUM TRISTE MY DYING BRIDE US $8.00 Buy It Now 7h 31m
My Dying Bride : Evinta CD (2011) US $10.00 Buy It Now 12h 26m
My Dying Bride Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + FREE BONUSES US $8.06 Buy It Now 13h 38m
MY DYING BRIDE TURN LOOSE THE SWANS + 3 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $6.49 Buy It Now 14h 11m
MY DYING BRIDE 34.788 % COMPLETE + BONUS TRACK SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $6.49 Buy It Now 14h 19m
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $4.96 Buy It Now 16h 11m
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $4.96 Buy It Now 16h 11m
MY DYING BRIDE-An Ode To Woe CD + DVD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $18.57 Buy It Now 19h 30m
MY DYING BRIDE-Like Gods Of The Sun CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $12.05 Buy It Now 19h 30m
MY DYING BRIDE-Meisterwerk 1 CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $11.12 Buy It Now 19h 31m
HAMFERD Vilst Er Sidsta Fet CD EP NEW/SEALED My Dying Bride Tyr Katatonia Opeth US $17.49 Buy It Now 23h 49m
ANATHEMA Fine Day to Exit CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Katatonia Tiamat US $6.66 Buy It Now 23h 56m
ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma CD Digi +Bonus My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Katatonia US $6.66 Buy It Now 23h 59m
PARADISE LOST As I Die CD EP My Dying Bride Anathema Katatonia Tiamat Moonspell! US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA Eternity CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Katatonia Tiamat Moonspell US $6.66 Buy It Now 1 day
ET MORIEMUR - Cupio Dissolvi (CD 2011) Doom Death Metal My Dying Bride Anathema US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HEDON CRIES - Hate Into Grief (CD 2003) My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Anathema US $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
INNER MISSING - Escapism (CD 2011) doom death metal My Dying Bride Draconian US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LLVME Fogeira De Suenos (CD 2010) My Dying Bride Shape of Despair Negura Bunget US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 - NEW CD US $15.58 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - the Dreadful Hours / Live in Krakow Vol. 2 (Agat Rec ) Russian US $17.00 Buy It Now 1 day
FIRST PRESS OPETH Still Life CD ORG Peaceville 2000 KATATONIA MY DYING BRIDE US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LYCUS Tempest DIGIPAK MOURNFUL CONGREGATION PALLBEARER MY DYING BRIDE ASUNDER US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST just say words ORIG VINYL LP (1997) my dying bride katatonia US $19.99 [0 bids]
DISSOLVING OF PRODIGY Time Ruins Also Beauty CD 1997 Sheer Rec. my dying bride US $49.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - THE VOICE OF THE WRETCHED DIGIPACK CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - The Angel And The Dark River CD US $49.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST Shades Of God CD 1992 MFN anathema my dying bride cemetary US $49.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River Digi LE '95 US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE The Light At The End Of The World EX CD 1999 Peaceville Anathema US $29.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST As I Die CD 1992 MFN anathema my dying bride cemetary US $44.00 Buy It Now 1 day
WITHERING SURFACE Scarlet Silhouettes CD 1997 Euphonious Rec my dying bride US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE Turn Loose The Swans CD 1994 Futurist Anathema Paradise Lost US $44.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST Lost Paradise CD 1990 Peaceville my dying bride katatonia anathema US $59.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE The Angel and the Dark River LIMITED DIGI 1995 Peacevile anathema US $49.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Ashes You Leave - The Passage Back of Life CD 1999 SEALED My Dying Bride US $3.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - The Light At The End Of The World (digipack) (CD, Jan-2004) US $9.49 Buy It Now 1 day
MENTAL HOME Black Art - 1999 CD - lacrimosa my dying bride october tide therion US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS, WORDS OF LIGHT DIGIPACK CD US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun (Japan+2) / 11 Track US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Trinity (Japan+1) / 10 Track US $40.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans (Japan+1) / 8 Track US $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MYTHOPOEIA - Golden Leaf Of Oak CD Metal Breath 2001 MY DYING BRIDE OCTOBER TIDE US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FROM BEYOND - Endtime CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA RARE US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Daylight Dies - no reply anathema my dying bride swallow the sun novembers doom US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Shameful - descend A5 digi evoken my dying bride neurosis swallow the sun US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Moonspell SCREEN PRINTED BACK PATCH Lucyfire Paradise Lost Tiamat My Dying Bride US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Moonspell SCREEN PRINTED BACK PATCH Paradise Lost Tiamat My Dying Bride US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BLOODLINE- Opium hearts ADVANCE PROMO CD RARE KATATONIA MY DYING BRIDE US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose The Swans CD 1993 Peaceville Records US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PARAMAECIUM Exhumed Of The Earth CD '94 R.E.X. MUSIC My Dying Bride Virgin Black US $69.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ETHERIAL WINDS - Saved CD rare 1.press 1994 M.M.I. / my dying bride crematory US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River LIMITED DIGI 1995 Peaceville US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
DEPRESY Sighting LE DIGI 1999 Shindy Prod. Septic Flesh My Dying Bride US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
thurisaz - circadian rhytm slipcase axamenta finntroll my dying bride evoken US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Keen Of The Crow - Hyborea morgion evoken baroness neurosis my dying bride US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ablaze in hatred - deceptive awareness my dying bride evoken thergothon isole US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA"Pentecost III"cd Peaceville 95,Paradise Lost,My dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 (CD, Nov-2000, PEACEVILLE) UK US $4.99 [0 bids]
AVERNUS-Of the fallen cd OOP Novembers Doom Somnus My Dying Bride US $14.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788%...COMPLETE (1998,2001 PEACEVILLE RECORDS, UK) CD US $6.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT 2004 PEACEVILLE RECORDS, UK CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - TRINITY (CD, 1995, Futurist/ FIERCE Recordings) US $5.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light [CD New] US $10.66 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT NEW CD US $17.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Dark Tranquility - The Minds I [ LP, Century Media, IMPORT, NEW ] My Dying Bride US $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Meisterwerk V.2 by My Dying Bride (Digipak, Mar-2004, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $24.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA NEW CD US $24.18 Buy It Now 1 day
Reflection by Paradise Lost (CD, Oct-1998 My Dying Bride US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CD: MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River US $11.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE:Songs:T-shirt NEW:MEDIUM ONLY US $27.92 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE:Songs:T-shirt NEW:SMALL ONLY US $27.92 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE:Trinity:T-shirt NEW:MEDIUM ONLY US $27.92 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - A Map Of All Our Failures NEW CD US $18.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Void Of Silence ?- Criteria Ov 666 DIGI CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NEX zero CD SEALED candlemass my dying bride katatonia autopsy anathema doom US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - The Angel & And The Dark River (NEW CD) US $15.34 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - VAULTED SHADOWS THE - CDVILEDH509 US $17.09 Buy It Now 2 days
SCREEN PRINTED BACK PATCH MY DYING BRIDE US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE as the flower withers LP 6 track with inner sleeve (vilelp479) eu US $29.86 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Evinta (2011) 2CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $10.41 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers [CD New] US $12.17 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Evinta [CD New] US $14.38 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - AS THE FLOWER WITHERS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.69 Buy It Now 2 days
anathema serenades t shirt doom metal death paradise lost ulver my dying bride US $16.66 Buy It Now 2 days
anathema serenades t shirt doom metal death paradise lost ulver my dying bride US $19.66 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 USA Shipping Included US $10.52 Buy It Now 2 days
my dying bride limited edition cd US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun, Import, doom, lost, anathema, opeth, slayer US $2.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [CD New] US $13.57 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride Albion In Ruin new Official Textile Poster 75cm x 110cm US $13.26 Buy It Now 2 days
Ashes you leave - The inheritance of sin CD 1st Press My dying bride Ophis US $30.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness, Words of Light ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE Songs of Darkness, Words of Light reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars Ok I admit. I'm losing all my wits from album covers with decapitated naked women. There can be no other explanation for my high ratings of specifically those MDB albums with nudity content. This particular one is my MDB favourite and rates 4.5 severed heads.

The opening is majestic: thundering drums, heavy orchestral chords and sinister vocals open The Wreckage of My Flesh. Clean vocals, harmonic guitar and dark symphonic keyboards take over. The song maintains a slow doom metal pace but the music is very melodic and varied. Never overtly virtuosic but competent and precise, with almost 9 minutes it takes a couple of listens till it fully sinks in. On top of that, Aaron's clean vocals are as much an acquired taste as his black and death growls; they are very plaintive, monotonous and nasal but suit the music just fine.

The Scarlet Garden features all MDB ingredients and their typical epic song build up. Starting with a slow doom opening with heavy riffs and morose vocals, a second theme with clean guitar picking takes over until a heavier part answers again, a faster rocking section with death vocals sits in the middle. The clean guitars take over but do not simply repeat their first appearance. Beautiful strings are added taking the song into a splendid ending. If you though I was describing an Opeth song, you're not far off. MDB sure inspired Opeth, the similarities are evident. Bear in mind though that MDB never reach the level of musicianship that Opeth does. MDB's approach is more minimalist and bleak.

One of the most gripping songs is My Wine In Silence. It takes a clean start with guitar plonking that sits somewhere between The Cure and post-rock. The mesmerizing atmosphere is broken with an alternate theme with shrieking vocals over a dead-evil riff with clean guitars, giving it a very terrifying and spine chilling effect. The second part reprises the two main themes but with heavy doom guitars. MDB had always been very clever at arranging their songs with more then the basic metal components. On The Prize of Beauty the organs are the eye-catcher, it's a bombastic epic that combines mid paced death metal and more melodic slower parts.

If you were still waiting for some catchy verse-chorus doom metal, you'd better give up. MDB steer their music in whatever direction the songs demand. The two closing tracks are magnificent adventures, with creepy Lord of The Rings atmospheres, uncanny orc voices and dark vapours of doom. Probably completely over the top for normal people but MDB manage to avoid becoming a vulgar pastiche. They don't force themselves to sound any different then the music that boils up in their dark decadent minds. The three closing minutes of A Doomed Lover are a continuous repetition of two instrumental harmonic themes but the effect is simply stunning and equals the devastating power of the closing minutes of Opeth's Blackwater Park.

Songs of Darkness is an astounding MDB album that balances out perfectly between their melodic, morose and dark epic tendencies. It has both heavy progressive doom death and subtlety, beauty and grimness. It's more digestible then the first albums and an excellent introduction to the band. Recommended to people that would find a mix of Opeth and Sabbath fronted by Gollem an alluring idea.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#262283) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 24, 2010

Review by UMUR
4 stars "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is the 8th full-length studio album by UK doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The album was released in February 2004 by Peaceville Records. "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" marks the debut of keyboardist Sarah Stanton. While The "Dreadful Hours (2001)" was a solid release, it wasn´t exactly a release that made my blood boil but thankfully "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" puts the band back on the right track.

The music on the album is doom metal with both clean paatos filled vocals and death growls. Add to that poetic/ goth romantic lyrics. As such this is the style of music My Dying Bride have played throughout most of their career. Each release by the band have had their own unique sound though and "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is no different in that respect. Compared to "Dreadful Hours", "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is generally a darker and less goth tinged album. Aaron Stainthorpe´s growls have never sounded as inspired than they do here and I sense some real emotion behind his delivery. I´m generally not the greatest fan of his growling style, which I on occassion have found lifeless and lacking in emotion, but he has defitinely gotten his act together on this album, even adding a blackened sneering touch at times.

The tracks are well composed and I find myself both moved and entertained. The contrasts between the light and dark sections in the music work really well on this album. The atmosphere is melancholic and it suits the heavy and doomy music well. The keyboards are generally tasteful and on occassion add a symphonic touch, but they seldom dominate the music which is a successful choice IMO.

I enjoy the more dark direction and heavier more brutal style on "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" and as the sound production follows suit and provides a powerful dark sound to the music everything just click on this album. The band excel in intriguing song structures and details to keep the listener entertained and I´m actually pretty impressed by the high quality level of the compositions. Tracks like "The Wreckage of My Flesh" and "Catherine Blake" are excellent to say the least.

"Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" is IMO one of the better My Dying Bride albums in their quite large discography and I can highly recommend a purchase of the album. I´d say a 4 star rating is fully deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#471310) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011

4 stars The album that made me return to My Dying Bride again. I am a big fan of their first albums. I am not a fan of those albums where My Dying Bride got lost and tried to be something they are not. But this album is their comeback album as far as I am concerned. The album title is pretty des ... (read more)

Report this review (#296281) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light"