BLACKJAZZ

RIO/Avant-Prog

Shining Blackjazz album cover

Buy SHINING Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1. The Madness And The Damage Done (5:20)
2. Fisheye (5:08)
3. Exit Sun (8:36)
4. Exit Sun (0:57)
5. HEALTER SKELTER (5:35)
6. The Madness And The Damage Done (3:24)
7. Blackjazz Deathtrance (10:52)
8. Omen (8:46)
9. 21st Century Schizoid Man (8:41)

Search SHINING Blackjazz lyrics

Search SHINING Blackjazz tabs

- Munkeby / Vocal, guitars & Saxophone
- Lofthus / Drums
- Kreken / Bass
- Moen / Keys & Synths

Released by Indie Recordings January 25th 2010

CD: Rune Grammophone,Norway

Thanks to MiniGorbi for the addition
and to snobb for the last updates

SHINING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SHINING Blackjazz Music

Peaceville UK 2008
III AngstIII Angst
101 DISTRIBUTION 2008
Sun Is Shining, Bob Marley, Good US $2.36 Buy It Now 36m 16s
FRANCES RUFFELLE love parade\shining light VS 1491 uk virgin 7" PS EX/EX sos US $11.84 Buy It Now 38m 29s
INXS shining star ep 7" WS EX/-mercury INXS 18 US $11.84 Buy It Now 38m 29s
GERALD NEAR - SHINING LIKE THE SUN: THE CHANTS OF TRANSFIGURATION - NEW CD US $14.28 Buy It Now 1h 10m
BOB MARLEY vs FUNKSTAR DE LUXE REMIX - SUN IS SHINING CD SINGLE US $3.37 Buy It Now 2h 5m
BOB MARLEY - SUN IS SHINING [GOLDEN STARS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $13.25 Buy It Now 2h 8m
True Skies [12 Tracks] by The Shining (CD, Sep-2002,... US $6.50 Buy It Now 2h 56m
M-FLO - PLANET SHINING - NEW CD US $16.61 Buy It Now 3h 55m
SHINING STAR - ENTER ETERNITY [734923002826] - NEW CD US $39.13 Buy It Now 4h 21m
Earl Sixteen "Shining Star" Reggae LP Vista Sounds US $15.50 [6 bids]
Wu Tang Clan SUNZ OF MAN Shining CD Earth Wind & Fire US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 31m
B.J. THOMAS-SHINING-COLUMBIA FC 39337 NM/VG+ LP US $8.98 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Gospel Funk Soul 45 Shining Stars 'A Child Of God' JCR Gospels Hear US $7.99 [0 bids]
MANHATTANS greatest hits KISS AND SAY GOODBYE shining star CRAZY new RARE tape US $4.48 [0 bids]
Ash Daily Telegraph Sampler inc. Shining Light CD Single US $7.63 Buy It Now 6h 37m
Bob Marley 2 Audio CD's 42 Great Performances Lively Up Yourself Sun Is Shining US $0.99 [1 bids]
URGEHAL Embroidered BACK Logo PATCH SHINING ENDSTILLE TSJUDER MARDUK US $11.99 Buy It Now 7h 6m
URGEHAL Arma Christi PATCH VIDSYN BEASTCRAFT SHINING GORGOROTH MARDUK TAAKE US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 6m
CARPATHIAN FOREST - BLACK SHINING LEATHER [CARPATHIAN FOREST] - NEW CD US $7.60 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Diana Ross - One Shining Moment & Hits - 2 cd Maxi Set w Exclusive Mixes-V.Rare US $6.99 [0 bids]
KARGVINT (Swe) - Seelenwerks Fortgang BURZUM SHINING US $6.00 Buy It Now 7h 56m
KOZELJNIK (Serbia) - Sigil Rust - SVART SHINING slipcase edition US $8.50 Buy It Now 7h 56m
BLACK HATE (Mex) Years Of Solitude SHINING SVART NORTT US $8.50 Buy It Now 7h 56m
Mcphillips,Lin - My Shining Hour [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 8h 9m
Through Year of Oppression Shining CD US $37.16 Buy It Now 8h 27m
Michael Hutchence INXS Shining Star w/3 RARE LIVE TRX CD Single SEALED 1991 US $34.99 Buy It Now 8h 48m
V/A "Shining Stars Vol. 2" Reggae LP Jimpys US $7.99 [0 bids]
THE HERMAN STEVENS SINGERS Just Got to Heaven/ run while the sun is shining 45 US $50.00 Buy It Now 9h
JOHNNY CASH FROM SEA TO SHINING SEA LP NM TWO EYE US $14.00 Buy It Now 9h 39m
Ronco Presents Shining Stars Various Artists LP 1978 R-220 Skynyrd Vinyl Record US $3.99 Buy It Now 9h 56m
THE SHINING PATH "S/T" Monosov / Swirnof's rock unit Lp + CD Holy Mountain NM+ US $10.00 [0 bids]
MY SHINING STAR PROFESSOR GRIZZLY & LITTLE LENY duck ? US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 18m
Dispersive Light / Summons Of Shining Ruins- CD Dark soundscapes material! US $7.36 Buy It Now 10h 52m
CIAO MY SHINING STAR: SONGS OF MARK MULCAHY / VAR NEW CD US $19.37 Buy It Now 10h 54m
CARPATHIAN FOREST - BLACK SHINING LEATHER NEW CD US $17.83 Buy It Now 10h 54m
Minami Kuribayashi Lot of 3 CDs Crystal Energy Shining Days Mai Otome My-Hime US $17.99 [0 bids]
SAMMY DAVIS/COUNT BASIE -OUR SHINING HOUR jazz LP US $4.98 Buy It Now 10h 57m
Finnley Quaye "3:42 Sunday Shining" Rap/Hip Hop PromoEP US $9.98 Buy It Now 11h 37m
Jerry Garcia Band Shining Star Used 2 Cd Set, Live Recordings From 1989-1993 US $19.99 [0 bids]
His Majesty Shining Light Audio CD US $3.50 Buy It Now 12h 18m
WILLIAM C. BROWN III: Shining 12 (dj) Soul US $18.00 Buy It Now 13h 15m
Johnny Cash LP Album "From Sea To Shining Sea" 2 Albums US $5.00 [1 bids]
BLOODLINE - Werewolf Training CD 1.p. SELBSTMORD / Shining Ondskapt Diabolicum US $8.00 [0 bids]
Manhattans You Send Me / Shining Star Reissue Series Vinyl 45 RPM US $6.99 Buy It Now 14h 33m
GOSPEL SHINING STARS: A Reason To Smile (black gospel vinyl LP) US $25.00 Buy It Now 14h 37m
LOT OF 5 NEW ROCK/METAL-MOST PRECIOUS BLOOD-FURZE-SHINING FURY-COPS/ROBBERS-KEIK US $3.46 [0 bids]
SUPER HITS - Earth, Wind & Fire - CD (Shining Star, Saturday Night) US $0.95 [0 bids]
Various : Reggae/Sun Is Shining (2CDs) (2005) US $3.97 Buy It Now 16h 40m
DIANA ROSS - One Shining Moment (CD 1992) 2-CD Set US $24.99 Buy It Now 17h
dagor dagorath - yetzer ha'ra, old wainds nokturnal mortum shining darkspace fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
immortal remains - everlasting night, dark fortress abigor shining summoning fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
manatark - viimanegi veri, dark fortress abigor shining summoning woods of ypres US $5.99 [0 bids]
Richard Harris-A Tramp Shining 1968 Dunhill DS-50032 US $4.99 [0 bids]
sylvan realm - the lodge of transcendence, dissection fen woods of ypres shining US $5.99 [0 bids]
18h
Manhattans Shining Star Ill Never Run Away From Love Again Col11222VG++(45-6908) US $3.57 Buy It Now 18h 28m
J DILLA The Shining EP Picture Disc Germany UNPLAYED ORIGINAL only 2000 made LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 18h 31m
JOHNNY CASH 8 TRACK TAPE From Sea To Shining Sea TESTED nw splce LIMITED EDITION US $6.69 Buy It Now 22h 34m
VG++/VG, 1988, Epic SGA T3, Skin Games - Brilliant Shining extended mix 12" EP US $3.37 Buy It Now 22h 56m
The Shining: True Skies - Disc Only CD Album 3697V US $2.52 Buy It Now 23h 27m
LOVELAND/RACHEL MCFARLANE keep on shining BLOC 016 uk 1994 12" PS EX/EX US $15.17 Buy It Now 1 day
INXS - SHINING STAR (MERCURY 7") EP GATEFOLD SLEEVE US $2.03 [0 bids]
7" THE CHAPERONES "SHINING STAR/MY SHADOW AND ME" DOO WOP ORIGINAL US $16.50 Buy It Now 1 day
RICHARD HARRIS A Tramp Shining DUNHILL Stereo US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LOVELAND-SHINING/HOPE-OLDSKOOL CLASSIC/RETRO @LISTEN@ US $10.15 Buy It Now 1 day
Sister Princess Melody Shining Star NEW first press US $9.99 [0 bids]
Earth, Wind & Fire - Super Hits (CD, Sony) Shining Star, Sing a Song, September US $2.45 Buy It Now 1 day
LOVE:(w/Arthur Lee-Jimi Hendrix)Keep On Shining-Everlasting-U.K. 7" Harvest Demo US $98.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Ash - Shining Light CD US $8.46 Buy It Now 1 day
SHINING Angst - Självdestruktivitetens Emissarie CD 2002 AM Bethlehem Silencer US $49.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Shining Stars Ronco LP 1978 18 Original Hits KISS ABBA Manilow Vinyl Record US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Barri Lovelight Shining CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Catch a Shining Star Narm Clas : Catch a Shining Star : A New Generation of Clas US $3.96 Buy It Now 1 day
SAMMY DAVIS COUNT BASIE LP OUR SHINING HOUR VERVE US $16.25 Buy It Now 1 day
EARTH WIND & FIRE Best Of Vol. 1 CD Reasons, September, Shining Star, Singasong US $2.49 [0 bids]
DJ Fatal Presents: 2Pac "Shining Serpent" PROMO CD US $6.99 [0 bids]
RICHARD HARRIS "A Tramp Shining" ORIGINAL DUNHILL LP* Music By Jimmy Webb US $2.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Album Paul Simon - Greatest Hits : Shining Like A National Guitar US $15.22 Buy It Now 1 day
Earth, Wind & Fire-Shining Star (MINT-) US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
The Shining: Instrumentals [PA] by J Dilla (CD, Oct-2006, BBE) CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE CRANES Shining Road w/ RARE 7 INCH MIX USA PROMO DJ CD Single 1994 MINT US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SUNLOVERZ - Shining Song - 1-sided pre-release 12" US $17.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Shining - One One One NEW CD US $9.02 Buy It Now 1 day
DUSTY TAYLOR: My Shining Star / Idaho Waltz 45 (4 Star custom press) Country US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MARGARET WHITING: The Sun Is Always Shining / Sorry 45 Vocalists US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Shining - Blackjazz NEW CD US $9.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Richard Harris LP A Tramp Shining Dunhill 50032 stereo US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Another Shining Day by 13 Cats (CD, 1996, BMG Victor, Inc.) Japan US $3.99 [0 bids]
Shining IV The Eerie Cold Death BLACK Metal CD, 2005, Avantgarde AV082 1st press US $7.99 [0 bids]
GRAHAM GRACE-SHINING KNIGHT PALACE PRLP 701 NEW SEALED LP US $7.98 Buy It Now 1 day
britho de luz Ghetto Around The World CD SEALED Shining Light Band US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
INXS Shining Star Limited 7 Inch Gatefold Vinyl Single US $16.93 Buy It Now 1 day
CAL TJADER CD THE SHINING SEA CONCORD US $6.76 [0 bids]
various SHINING STARS KISS PATTI SMITH ET NEW SEALED LP US $11.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob Marley : Rainbow country (incl. Sun is shining) CD US $4.59 Buy It Now 1 day
Various: His Shining Light CSP P 16924 Gospel Vinyl LP Record Comp SEALED US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MUNGO JERRY You Don'T Have To Be In The Army 7" 4 Tracks Inc The Sun Is Shining US $6.76 Buy It Now 1 day
Waking The Dead / The Shining Thrash Attack 2008 Netherlands Punk Hardcore Split US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Citizens Patrol Demo 2006 CD reproach the shining out cold cardiac arrest nitad US $7.19 Buy It Now 1 day
The Chaperones 45 Shining Star/Cruise To The Moon Collectables #COL-0190 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Graham Grace Shining Knight CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy SHINING music online Buy SHINING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SHINING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SHINING Blackjazz ratings distribution

SHINING Blackjazz reviews

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
1 stars Certainly not a kind of music I normally like, but why not give it a try after all. One should try different flavors to experience various tastes. This one, starting with weird The Madness and the Damage Done is a foul track. Not that making track by track review matters much, tracks here all have similar basis. On a first sight, they are dissonant electronic "creatures" and after all, on the second sight too. I know that it's some kind of Avant-Garde performance, act of speaking about what they feel in a intentionally strange way (because it's Avant), but this is celebration of ugliness. Yes, some may like it, but count me out. I respect RIO/Avant style and (who else if not God, to whom I don't believe in? I often substitute it with word "Prog" - it's my "Him") Prog knows that there are albums from this genre I like. Or I love. And there is synonymous case in real life, I don't want to mention it (just that one you can do on your own and second one you have to do with girl - yes, I mean that word (but I don't want to use it on a well-mannered site as ProgArchives), but don't let it offend (1st time) you, because from what I've read on the forums, most of RIO/Avant lovers are fine people. Why I'm even saying this ? Because my message was misunderstood, so this is actually an explanation. I'm in fact talking about certain people, who are doing things "just for the cause", or simply when something is generally popular, they go for it with a flow (talking about pop music, fashion, you know). And from real life I know that there are some people who hates this very same trend, so they're against it, but actually, they're doing the same thing, only they embrace/love/like/worship opposite side of the battlefield and opposed to pop may be extremely fanatics side of Avant-Garde. May be for some. And when I said about this "you-know-what", I'm probably not talking about you, but about this kind of people), but don't let this offend (2nd time) you. This is just how it seems to me. Absolutely unpleasant music that enjoys being unpleasant and thinks that it's its advantage, I'll rather pass.

1(+), because of false hopes, because of whole purpose of this music that misses me perfectly (and completely).

For die hard fans only if you want to hear my opinion.

EDIT: I've added explanation of my words that may have offended someone. However, because I supposed that bad rating will spur discussion far more likely than good rating (if you check my profile, you'll see that most of my ratings are well).

And yes, I'm not native speaker, even this may or may not be good argument for you. I'm certainly trying, that's for sure, isn't it ? So yes, I'm aware that there are some mistakes, but frankly, I've improved (and I still am and will be improving) over the last year & there are people who write worse than I do.

I know that by time of writing this, there are 4 reviews with average of 4.75 - yes, you may like it, I not only don't deny you, I even don't offend you for liking this. If you think so, then my message was misunderstood, but that's different case, not problem of mine.

One more thing to state. I don't know how others feel/will feel about this album, but I personally felt responsible for warning people against it. Those, who might not like it. There will be some for sure. However, if you just don't like my rating and are looking for little things and nuisances in my review, there you go. Write me PM and we can solve it. Thank you for your patience. Be happy.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#273076) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 20, 2010

Review by snobb
4 stars Name "Shining" for years associates for me with great movie with Jack Nicholson. And "Blackjazz" could be possibly nice words game ( if there will be release from late 60-s with such name, I could think it should be possibly avant-jazz-funk Afro-American energetic project). But it is not.

Norwegian quartet of jazz musicians with music academy education plays combination of BLACK metal, industrial, heavy progressive and free-JAZZ. Or shortly speaking, BLACKJAZZ.

During last decade Norway became the strong base for world most innovative progressive musicians in different genres. Shining's team is not exception - band's musicians participated in many different, mostly jazz projects, and two of them are even "Jaga Jazzist", one of best known European progressive new fusion band, members. But there is no music as on "Jaga Jazzist" albums on Blackjazz at all.

In fact, musicians doing there on this album, same things they 're doing in their other projects - they are mixing different styles in one melted fusion. The difference is components: this fusion is very fast, very heavy, cold, industrial, with trash/death metal vocals. Possibly, it is most radical mix, with still could be named "fusion".

Possibly, it is difficult to imagine, how does it sounds: just think about Zorn's Naked City, some radical form of King Crimson, and the atmosphere is very similar to The Mars Voltian chaotic space, but without such deep psychedelic sense.

As many avant/experimental works, this album is not everyone's cup of tea. For those searching for harmony, mellow symphonic conformism with very regulated element of heavy rock in their music, or lovers of Pat Metheny pleasant listening, this album could break their nerves. Or bring them into depression. Or just destroy their pink glasses. If you're the one from categories from above, better avoid. It is just not your world ( and there is huge industry, working to produce one more product to make you happy).

But for dark streets travellers, for researchers of the borders between light and dark, for those thinking music is not nice soundtrack for your cocktail party - try this.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#277595) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 12, 2010

3 stars Well I must admit this is a diappointment for me after their previous album "Grindstone" which blew me away.They've pretty much made this record more extreme when it comes to the vocals and sound. It's a noisy and chaotic recording while the growling and screaming vocals are just too much for me. A very intense album.

They kind of play with the title of Neil Young's "Needle And The Damage Done" calling their's "The Madness And The Damage Done". It opens with yelling then kicks in heavily. Not a fan of the vocals here. It's chaotic before 3 minutes and the vocals come screaming back after 4 minutes. "Fiskeye" opens with heavy drums as crazy synths join in. Spoken vocals a minute in as the guitar joins in. Synths are back. Sax before 3 1/2 minutes. Catchy stuff believe it or not. "Exit Sun" has a good guitar intro and some killer drum work.It turns experimental when it settles. Kicks back in at 6 minutes.

"Exit Sun" is a short percussion based tune. "Helter Skelter" is an uptempo track with drums and dissonant sax standing out. "Madness And The Damage Done" is intense early. Drums kick in before 2 minutes and the guitar follows. "Blackjazz Deathtrance" has these strange sounds that pulse before the heavy drums arrive. It settles around 3 1/2 minutes with more weird sounds. Spoken words follow. It's intense again. A calm before 6 1/2 minutes then it picks back up 8 minutes in. "Omen" is dark and intense once again. Sax in this one after 4 1/2 minutes and later. "21st Century Schizoid Man" is an interesting cover especially with the processed growling vocals. I prefer APRIL WINE's version.

A tough one for me to get into. Experimental, chaotic, noisy and loud. And no this has nothing to do with Jazz.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#295932) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 23, 2010

Review by Cesar Inca
4 stars What is this sort of radical experimentation in music comprised in "Blackjazz"? - a mixture of dementia, rebellion and black magic, perhaps. Mostly, it is the hyperbole of avant-garde metal, or the hyperbole of avant-garde jazz-rock wrapped up in abundant shades of metal and bound with progressive laces. No matter how sophisticated your sentences pour out in order to make an attempt to define the musical offering of Norway's Shining. It will always come out complicated and not as clear as it intended to be. Well, so let's try to point out at it this way: a dynamic mixture of prog metal, death, 90s Crimson, avant-jazz, RIO and electronica. Or maybe this way: a confluence of hyper-Fantomas, ultra-KC, mega-NIN and over-Tool at the UZ-meets-Zappath power. I'm afraid t didn't work either, but I'll leave it to rest so I can now set my mind to describe the repertoire of Shining's "Backjazz", arguably the cruelest prog rock album of the year. The first part of 'The Madness And The Damage Done' states a complex set of cadences that allows tension and counterpart to weave the running shrapnel of lunatic rock sonorities. 'Fisheye' is a bit less loud and more industrial- based: the massive influences from NIN and Tool are easily noticeable. Intelligent storms and erudite tortures, all this and more is what we have got so far from the Shining ranks? and will continue to, be warned. 'Exist Sun Pt. 1' also bears a Toolian mood in places, but the overall framework happens to be more related to Behold The Archtopus and Between The Buried And Me. The industrial expansion of the not-too-long 'Exit Sun Pt. 2' paves the way for the explosive odyssey of metal-jazz encapsulated in 'HEALTER SKELTER', a curious homage to The Beatles' wildest song ever. 'HEALTER SKELTER' is one of the most accomplished manifestations of the band's aesthetics of cruelty in the album - dissonant, powerful restless, yet sophisticated enough as to achieve artistic greatness beyond simple anger. The second part of 'The Madness And The Damage Done' starts on an autumnal mood, Crimsonically contemplative ("Red"-era Crimson is the obvious reference here), until the reprise of the first part's main motif brings a relief for massive aggression of sound. 'Blackjazz Deathtrance' occupies a 11- minute span: a prog metal gale focused on alternated sources of avant-garde adventures, industrial explosions, death metal irruptions and jazzy occasional developments. Many instrumental deliveries are really humanly impossible, as Zappa would say: given the amount and intensity of the mood and tempo shifts, it must have been particularly challenging for drummer Lofthus to use every ounce of his talent in order to comply with the demands for the rhythmic department. What a great work! 'Omen' is an exercise on creepy ambiences and surrealistic developments that inherits much of the darkness epitomized in UZ's "Heresie". All throughout the track's 8 ¾ minute span, there is a feeling of impending doom that never seems to fully come to the fore, and still, the fear remains solid as an infinite grey cloud on an endless winter sky. The tracklist end with a cover of KC's perpetual classic '21st Century Schizoid Man': Grutle Kjellson, of Enslaved, guests on vocals for this one. The band gives this classic a Dadaistic spin with lots of industrial-metal and RIO nuances along the way. Even though this particular cover does not add something essential to the "Blackjazz" experience, it works as a hint to the artistic ideology upheld by Shining. General conclusion: an excellent item in any progressive schizoid man's collection.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#299976) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars One would only hope that Shining would stick to the winning formula, that they so marvelously established on Grindstone, and push it even further with their highly anticipated follow-up release. This would of course not be something that the band members would ever accept, considering their highly fluctuating style shifts up to this point.

While In The Kingdom Of Kitsch You Will Be A Monster still had one foot solidly placed in the world of Avant-garde Jazz and Grindstone loosening those traditions and instead expanding on the darker and more eclectic approach to music making. Blackjazz does seem to promise that same tradition, judging solely by the album's title, but what we get here is just one half of what made Grindstone the great record that it was.

Right off the bat, The Madness And The Damage Done starts off as a wild beast that just won't be tamed no matter how hard you'll try. It's a wild and extravagant piece that seems to take as much inspiration from Extreme Metal as Electronic Rock. Yes, we had the electronica experiments available on Grindstone, but it was hardly the only reason why that album felt so ambitious and different. I'm talking about the groovy soundscapes that we got as the record progressed, which showed us the versatile band that Shining truly was. This just doesn't happen on Blackjazz and what we get instead is more of the same Extreme Metal and Electronic Rock sound all throughout the record.

It doesn't really help that Blackjazz is almost a third longer than its two predecessors. I honestly get exhausted while listening to this record and this feeling of fatigue hasn't really diminished over time. I often don't even care that the album ends with a cover of King Crimson's great anthem 21st Century Schizoid Man. That statement in itself says a lot!

In retrospect, I don't consider Blackjazz to be a bad record and there are quite a few tracks that come close to achieving the greatness of the band's previous milestones. Still, there are just too many flaws for me to consider rating it any higher than this. Good, but far from essential.

**** star songs: The Madness And The Damage Done (5:20) Fisheye (5:08) Exit Sun (8:36) Healter Skelter (5:35) The Madness And The Damage Done (3:24) Blackjazz Deathtrance (10:52)

*** star songs: Exit Sun (0:57) Omen (8:46) 21st Century Schizoid Man (8:41)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#445379) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Review by Warthur
5 stars Just as Dodheimsgard's 666 International attempts to fuse industrial music and black metal from a black metal direction, Shining's Blackjazz tries the same experiment from the perspective of an industrial musician, and of the two experiments I think this is the more successful one. With keyboards that sound like guitars, guitars that sound like keyboards, and a wall of noise which shifts between industrial and black metal modes on a whim, the group have produced a complex soundscape with sufficient variety that there's space for a King Crimson cover at the end of the album which seems bizarrely appropriate given the howling cacophony that precedes it. Not to everyone's taste, but if it is to your taste you'll love it to bits.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#772955) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 17, 2012

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars More tea vicar?

For reasons unknown to me, metal has entered my life again..... It's strange, I used to be a huuuuuge headbanger, black and blue hair, nose ring and the works, and then by the flick of the switch my tastes changed, I started listening to electronic music, jazz, hip hop, avantguarde sorcery - found out about dancing the night away - completely unlike Gene Kelly, I always prefer the sun - and somehow over 10 years went by.

SNAP!!! It said, when I then, just for fun's sake, put on an album given to me by one of my old metal friends. Blackjazz zooms out of the speakers and whacks me over my head with the force of a wet screaming baby. The brutal hard edgings of the riffing, the occasional grindcore drumming as well as the freaky howls of the toy keyboards, all make this venture extremely chaotic. You get thrown into the washing machine and hope for the best...............My jaw dropped, I started bobbing back and forth in the chair I was sitting in, and suddenly the urge just got too overwhelming and I swooped out of my seat with the grace of a small dear - flying halfway through the room - headbanging uncontrollably for about 10 minutes. My fasting days had run their course, so it would seem. Metal had returned.

This is not your every day metal though - not even remotely. The vocals hint of black metal while the drums from Elephant9 drummer Thorstein Lofthus pull toward both jazz rock and the early RIO scene. In between you get electronic mish mashes that sound like a toy store gone berserk at night - coating most of this album in a somewhat surreal ambiance. Teamed up with the harsh growling vocals, you effectively get two opposites pulling away from each other throughout the course of this album. This is part of the genius though, not unlike the way great horror flicks betrayed our fickle minds with images of small school girls, blood flowing through elevator doors and an unnerving soundtrack storming through your sensory system.

Norway is undeniably one of the birthplaces of Black Metal, and while you'll find a great deal of people up here in Scandinavia swearing to the original strain of the genre, there are still bands taking this thing to the next level. Ulver fx.... They both pioneered the Black Metal genre as well as the progressive take on it. My guess is that Shining probably picked up a thing or two from Ulver, even if it may seem as if they couldn't be further from each other musically.

Blackjazz is not for the faint of heart. It's the kind of music that stabs it's way through the airwaves. It's vicious, brutal and then at the same time incredibly frail. There's a thin line running through this album, the very tightrope the vocals balance on - where the drums spin out of control and somehow have to land on their feet again. -All of this chaos depends on a frail and minuscule line, a common idea of where the music needs to go and what it needs to get there. It's insanely difficult to pull something like this off properly, especially when the pace is so furious and pumping.

This is without a doubt music for the adventurous folks out there. Puppies definitely not allowed. Blackjazz is basically what Samla Mammas Manna would sound like if they were a modern Black Metal band. It's fun, heavy like skips of gold, erratic, choppy, insane, loud, shrieking, unforgiving and energetic like a horny black rabbit on the prowl.

Expect ear bleed and soar ankles the morning after.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#982850) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013

4 stars Well, Shining certainly took the vibe of Grindstone even further here on Blackjazz. Where Grindstone was a heavy, yet experimental and dynamic record, this one is just a continous punch in the gut all the way through. The record starts off well with the opening duo of The Madness & The Damag ... (read more)

Report this review (#278640) | Posted by tired_feet | Tuesday, April 20, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Wow. That was the word that popped into my head when I first listened to "The Madness & The Damage Done, Pt. 1." And, that word continued to enter my thoughts as the album continued on its course. Now, at week #3 of owning this album, I can honestly say that it's one of the most powerful, artfu ... (read more)

Report this review (#276603) | Posted by MusicMan3172 | Tuesday, April 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Just the other day, I was reviewing Ihsahn's After and noted a particularly bonkers track called A Grave Inversed where Ihsahn and chums seemed to play as fast and horrifically as they can and just when you thought things couldn't get crazier, in came the saxophone. Exhilirating though it was, ... (read more)

Report this review (#273827) | Posted by Textbook | Wednesday, March 24, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Well all I have to say is wow with this album. To explain this album imagine if frank zappa made a metal album. It is very out there but that makes it unique. I have not really heart metal bands go this route much where they have very odd time signatures and changes throughout the song. It's very ... (read more)

Report this review (#273056) | Posted by sirfragalot86 | Saturday, March 20, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Finally something new! I like groups trying to emulate the seventies great bands, but only some of them are really good. The same for progmetal bands trying to follow the Dream Theater wave... Here, we are talking about a NEW kind of music, an incredible and unexpected mix of genres... Maybe GR ... (read more)

Report this review (#270337) | Posted by sbaguz | Monday, March 08, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I was sceptical at first. Not because of the material on offer here, but because I was mixing up the Swedish black metal band Shining with their Norwegian counterpart. Luckily the Norwegians don't sound a the sleightest bit like the depressing self mutilating metal music the Swedes make. Shinin ... (read more)

Report this review (#263756) | Posted by snoe | Monday, February 01, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 2nd review: Shining - Blackjazz : 5 stars. I cannot even begin to express the assault of jazzy waves of music that were crashing in my brain when the first 20 seconds of "The Madness And The Damage Done" knocked me back into my chair. I was literally stunned by the tempo, the rhythm, the vivid ... (read more)

Report this review (#261727) | Posted by Dunn Khan | Wednesday, January 20, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SHINING "Blackjazz"