BLACKJAZZ

RIO/Avant-Prog

Shining Blackjazz album cover

Buy SHINING Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1. The Madness And The Damage Done (5:20)
2. Fisheye (5:08)
3. Exit Sun (8:36)
4. Exit Sun (0:57)
5. HEALTER SKELTER (5:35)
6. The Madness And The Damage Done (3:24)
7. Blackjazz Deathtrance (10:52)
8. Omen (8:46)
9. 21st Century Schizoid Man (8:41)

Search SHINING Blackjazz lyrics

Search SHINING Blackjazz tabs

- Munkeby / Vocal, guitars & Saxophone
- Lofthus / Drums
- Kreken / Bass
- Moen / Keys & Synths

Released by Indie Recordings January 25th 2010

CD: Rune Grammophone,Norway

Thanks to MiniGorbi for the addition
and to snobb for the last updates

SHINING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SHINING Blackjazz Music

Peaceville UK 2008
Lots of Girls Gonna Get HurtLots of Girls Gonna Get Hurt
Single
Spinefarm 2013
The Shining ?I Wonder How 10"single vinyl record ZUMA the verve US $29.99 Buy It Now 39m 15s
Bloodline - Werewolf Training LP ( Setherial - Ondskapt - Shining - Chainsaw ) US $22.00 Buy It Now 48m 2s
WARREN VACHE "MY SHINING HOUR" RARE 2003 LTD EDITION 24-BIT REMASTER CD US $14.57 Buy It Now 1h 4m
INXS shining star 12" 4 track gatefold b/w send a message live, faith in each ot US $8.08 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Mr. B "SHINING THE PEARLS" LP Blues Piano US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Ash Shining Light Rare Australian 5 Track CD EP Single US $9.39 Buy It Now 1h 43m
ONE ONE ONE- Shining LP (NEW 2013 Vinyl) Norway Rock-Jazz, Jon Eberson Trio Fans US $19.43 Buy It Now 1h 51m
WE ARE SHINING - Hot Love. rare UK 1 track CD (Buy 3 = Free P&P!) US $3.21 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Ricky Skaggs(7" Vinyl)New Star Shining-Epic-650250-UK-Ex/NM US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Ricky Skaggs(7" Vinyl)New Star Shining-Epic-650250 7-UK-VG/VG US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Ricky Skaggs(7" Vinyl)New Star Shining-Epic-650250-UK-Ex/Ex US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
JOYFUL SOUNDS - SHINING STAR [JOYFUL SOUNDS] - NEW CD US $9.50 Buy It Now 2h 55m
DARE - BENEATH THE SHINING WATER (CD) Darren Wharton, Thin Lizzy US $7.29 [1 bids]
LARRY CORYELL - SHINING HOUR [LARRY CORYELL] - NEW CD US $3.98 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Loveland feat: Rachel McFarlane (Keep On) Shining 12" US $11.34 Buy It Now 4h 29m
SOULNOTMIND - SHINING STARS - NEW CD US $15.98 Buy It Now 5h 10m
ROSEMARY SQUIRES-SHINING SEA-JAPAN MINI LP CD F00 US $25.50 Buy It Now 6h 37m
Tibetan Sacred Temple Music by Drepung Lamas (CD , 1990 Shining Star) US $5.00 [0 bids]
VARIOUS - Shining Covers - unmixed CD US $35.55 Buy It Now 6h 54m
Lee Scratch Perry(CD Album)Sun is Shining-Secret-SECCD019-UK-New US $11.39 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Bob Marley(2CD Album)Sun Is Shining-Trojan-CDTRD 422-UK-New US $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 55m
IRA WATSON Private SHiNING STaR Modern Soul Gospel SOZO Cassette RARE NoT An LP US $14.75 [0 bids]
SHINING PATH: Take You So Low So You Can Fly So High (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 8h 42m
NAVJARMAAHR The Fangs Of The Shining Night (CD,2012) Pagan black metal US $13.80 Buy It Now 8h 56m
Shining Skulls - Destroy Your Self [CD New] US $11.98 Buy It Now 9h 10m
Primitives - Everythings Shining Bright NEW CD US $15.98 Buy It Now 9h 23m
Duane Dee - My Shining Hour lp Capitol Records ST2931 US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 41m
Michael Stipe FRANK BLACK - Ciao My Shining CD Advance US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 43m
Jack Jones / The Shining Sea / A Day In The Life Of A Fool 45 rpm Record Vinyl US $6.00 [0 bids]
SUPREMES when the lovelight starts shining USA 7" PIC SLEEVE only withdrawn US $16.19 Buy It Now 9h 49m
Grimnir / Trist / Regnum / Hypothermia - Split LP life is pain kyla shining US $16.19 [0 bids]
Jeff & Sheri Easter "Shining Through" 1991 Original CD excellent! Rare find! US $27.68 Buy It Now 10h 2m
Ossipov Orchestra - The Moon Is Shining - LP - early 80 US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 7m
RARE Yolandita Monge A Star Is Shining Vol. 2 Patty LPP 141 VG TEDDY PUERTO RICO US $0.99 [0 bids]
Richard Harris A TRAMP SHINING W/'MacArthur Park" Dunhill DS-50032 GOOD PLUS US $7.04 [0 bids]
Shining - In the Kingdom of Kitsch You Will Be a Monster CD. Norway. Digipak US $16.20 [0 bids]
Shining Fury : Last Sunrise CD (2004) US $3.89 Buy It Now 11h 11m
Shining Light Ash CD single Tim Wheeler Music US $1.57 [3 bids]
RITA MACNEIL - SHINING STRONG: COUNTRY COLLECTION (IMPORT) NEW CD US $16.54 Buy It Now 11h 58m
CARPATHIAN FOREST BLACK SHINING LEATHER MC, CASSETTE US $24.99 Buy It Now 12h 5m
FORGOTTEN TOMB "Negative Megalomania" LP leviathan shining US $25.92 Buy It Now 12h 7m
1957 LP Record Album; Dorsey Brother's Shining Hour US $0.99 [0 bids]
INXS - Shining Star (UK 4 Track 1991 7" Single GF PS) US $4.03 Buy It Now 12h 17m
RANDALL BRAMBLET SHINING BIRMINGHAM 1TRK PROMO CD CS72 US $0.99 [0 bids]
SHINING PATH-UNDER MILKY WAY 3TRK PROMO CD CS356 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Last Sunrise by Shining Fury (CD, Jan-2004, Metal Blade) US $3.90 Buy It Now 12h 28m
M-Flo - Planet Shining [CD New] US $20.14 Buy It Now 12h 30m
Arriba by Bruce BecVar (CD, 1993, Shining Star) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $8.80 Buy It Now 12h 36m
? Earth, Wind & Fire - Greatest Hits (Promo only sampler) (with "Shining Star") US $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 47m
J-Pop 2010 Berryz Koubou Shining Power CD Unopened + Towanoquon Promotional Card US $1.99 [0 bids]
CD Scientific Universal Noncommercial "Shining Underground" aka S.U.N. rap 1998 US $0.99 [0 bids]
INXS - Shining Star GATEFOLD 4 Track with 3 live tracks US $8.10 [0 bids]
JOHNNY CASH VINYL LP LOT OF 3 RIDE TRAIN+STORY BROKEN HEART+SHINING SEA COUNTRY US $9.99 [0 bids]
DORSEY BROTHERS: THEIR SHINING HOUR (1960S) RARE COLLECTIBLE 12" VINYL LP US $8.95 [0 bids]
VELDHUIS: SHINING CITY, ETC / HOUDINI'S, AURELIA SAXOPHONE - NEW CD BOXSET US $34.33 Buy It Now 14h 40m
Charles Dickson - Shining Star - Laugh Clown Laugh - Oriole 78 RPM - VG+/E US $6.99 [0 bids]
Smalltown Shining [IMPORT] [Audio CD] Matthias, John CD US $17.94 Buy It Now 15h
PAUL SIMON The Greatest Hits Cassette 2000 Shining Like a National Guitar US $8.70 Buy It Now 15h 10m
WILLIAMS, JOHN - FROM SEA TO SHINING SEA [WILLIAMS, JOHN] - NEW CD US $17.18 Buy It Now 15h 46m
STEFAN GROSSMAN ~ Shining Shadows ~ nm 12" vinyl LP record album in shrinkwrap US $16.50 Buy It Now 16h 17m
Glen Gray - 78 rpm - "My Heart Tells Me" / "My Shining Hour" - Decca 18567 - G+ US $5.36 [0 bids]
VIOLENT J - THE SHINING [PA] * [VIOLENT J] - NEW CD US $6.22 Buy It Now 16h 32m
JAY DEE - THE SHINING [PA] - NEW CD US $20.66 Buy It Now 16h 44m
REGGAE 45 MYSTIC LAMB RECORDS LING- TA- MA LING SHINING STAR SIGNED VAN BERTIE US $20.00 [0 bids]
DARKTHRONE: Under a Funeral digi, Mayhem, Taake, Shining, Ragnarok, Horna US $6.66 [0 bids]
Tramp Shining - Richard Harris New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $11.43 Buy It Now 17h 45m
Shining One One One LP sealed Mint gatefold jacket with Digital Download US $19.99 Buy It Now 17h 51m
myrkvids draumar - we are war, silencer marduk shining nargaroth archgoat manes US $5.99 [0 bids]
iugulatus - call of the horned god, deathspell omega fen darkspace manes shining US $5.99 [0 bids]
palace of worms - the forgotten, seth deathspell omega darkspace manes shining US $5.99 [0 bids]
Just the Hits Shining 70s Best of 70s Easy Rock CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
netra - melancolie urbaine, manes coldworld ulver tulus shining darkspace alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
Re 45 EARTH WIND & FIRE Shining Star/That's Way Of The World w/ sleeve/strip NM US $7.49 [0 bids]
THE RAMBOS - THE SON IS SHINING - 1976 STEREO/R3398 FACTORY SEALED US $7.99 [0 bids]
RICHARD HARRIS A TRAMP SHINING VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM (1968) US $2.99 [0 bids]
When Humans Walked the Earth by Mason Brown (CD, 2008, Round Shining Music) US $9.95 Buy It Now 19h 21m
Chixdiggit! From Scene to Shining Scene [ECD] CD VG+ US $7.50 [0 bids]
THE UNIIQUES KEEP THAT LIGHT SHINING ON ME SUNNY SIDE OF THE SEA US $45.00 Buy It Now 19h 33m
Soulnotmind: Shining Stars - Graca, Miguel (CD Mint!) US $1.50 Buy It Now 20h 45m
The Shining / True Skies US $3.24 Buy It Now 21h 27m
Shining Night - Madrigalia & Lee Wright New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $26.64 Buy It Now 21h 44m
NIGEL RICHARDS A Shining Truth - RARE Musicals - Adam Guettel, M. John LaChiusa US $3.25 [1 bids]
LEROY SMART - Keep On Shining - 7" Single JA PRESS US $6.84 Buy It Now 22h 14m
MARCIA HINES ORIGINAL OZ MIRACLE WIZARD LP - SHINING - 1976 US $7.83 Buy It Now 23h 33m
CRUEL HUMANITY - Creatures Of Fear CD Amon Amarth Rotting Christ Shining US $3.65 [0 bids]
Newspaper Clipping : Maurice White, Shining stars US $9.72 Buy It Now 1 day
ALTON EDWARDS shining light 7" a label promo (cbsa2767) uk cbs 1982 US $8.08 Buy It Now 1 day
ALTON EDWARDS shining light 7" b/w to have a friend (cbsa2767) uk cbs 1982 US $8.08 Buy It Now 1 day
ALTON EDWARDS shining light 7" b/w to have a friend (cb US $8.08 Buy It Now 1 day
BEAT HOTEL smile 7" 3 track b/w good advice and money keeps the sun shining (hol US $8.08 Buy It Now 1 day
VERGEL, Cesar - The Shining - 12" US $13.92 Buy It Now 1 day
60s LONG JOHN BALDRY when the sun comes shining thru 1968 UK 7" Vinyl 45 N MINT US $6.46 [0 bids]
Harry Secombe - When The Stars Were Brightly Shining 7" Ex/Vg Philips BBE12067 US $6.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Stefan Grossman - Shining Shadows [CD New] US $16.68 Buy It Now 1 day
BOONES when the lovelight starts shining thru his eyes 7" demo b/w friend (mw302 US $8.08 Buy It Now 1 day
BOONES my guy 7" demo b/w when the lovelight starts shining thru' his eyes (tmg1 US $16.56 Buy It Now 1 day
Force & Styles(12"Vinyl)Shining Down-UK Dance-UKD012-UK-VG/Ex US $23.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Precint - Shining Star 7" Ex/Vg Passion PASH32 US $6.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob Marley(2CD Album)Sun Is Shining-Trojan-CDTRD 422-UK-New US $6.46 Buy It Now 1 day
KAMIONSKY - At the ball / Night (Why do I love you, shining night), Romance US $27.48 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy SHINING music online Buy SHINING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SHINING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SHINING Blackjazz ratings distribution

SHINING Blackjazz reviews

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
1 stars Certainly not a kind of music I normally like, but why not give it a try after all. One should try different flavors to experience various tastes. This one, starting with weird The Madness and the Damage Done is a foul track. Not that making track by track review matters much, tracks here all have similar basis. On a first sight, they are dissonant electronic "creatures" and after all, on the second sight too. I know that it's some kind of Avant-Garde performance, act of speaking about what they feel in a intentionally strange way (because it's Avant), but this is celebration of ugliness. Yes, some may like it, but count me out. I respect RIO/Avant style and (who else if not God, to whom I don't believe in? I often substitute it with word "Prog" - it's my "Him") Prog knows that there are albums from this genre I like. Or I love. And there is synonymous case in real life, I don't want to mention it (just that one you can do on your own and second one you have to do with girl - yes, I mean that word (but I don't want to use it on a well-mannered site as ProgArchives), but don't let it offend (1st time) you, because from what I've read on the forums, most of RIO/Avant lovers are fine people. Why I'm even saying this ? Because my message was misunderstood, so this is actually an explanation. I'm in fact talking about certain people, who are doing things "just for the cause", or simply when something is generally popular, they go for it with a flow (talking about pop music, fashion, you know). And from real life I know that there are some people who hates this very same trend, so they're against it, but actually, they're doing the same thing, only they embrace/love/like/worship opposite side of the battlefield and opposed to pop may be extremely fanatics side of Avant-Garde. May be for some. And when I said about this "you-know-what", I'm probably not talking about you, but about this kind of people), but don't let this offend (2nd time) you. This is just how it seems to me. Absolutely unpleasant music that enjoys being unpleasant and thinks that it's its advantage, I'll rather pass.

1(+), because of false hopes, because of whole purpose of this music that misses me perfectly (and completely).

For die hard fans only if you want to hear my opinion.

EDIT: I've added explanation of my words that may have offended someone. However, because I supposed that bad rating will spur discussion far more likely than good rating (if you check my profile, you'll see that most of my ratings are well).

And yes, I'm not native speaker, even this may or may not be good argument for you. I'm certainly trying, that's for sure, isn't it ? So yes, I'm aware that there are some mistakes, but frankly, I've improved (and I still am and will be improving) over the last year & there are people who write worse than I do.

I know that by time of writing this, there are 4 reviews with average of 4.75 - yes, you may like it, I not only don't deny you, I even don't offend you for liking this. If you think so, then my message was misunderstood, but that's different case, not problem of mine.

One more thing to state. I don't know how others feel/will feel about this album, but I personally felt responsible for warning people against it. Those, who might not like it. There will be some for sure. However, if you just don't like my rating and are looking for little things and nuisances in my review, there you go. Write me PM and we can solve it. Thank you for your patience. Be happy.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#273076) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 20, 2010

Review by snobb
4 stars Name "Shining" for years associates for me with great movie with Jack Nicholson. And "Blackjazz" could be possibly nice words game ( if there will be release from late 60-s with such name, I could think it should be possibly avant-jazz-funk Afro-American energetic project). But it is not.

Norwegian quartet of jazz musicians with music academy education plays combination of BLACK metal, industrial, heavy progressive and free-JAZZ. Or shortly speaking, BLACKJAZZ.

During last decade Norway became the strong base for world most innovative progressive musicians in different genres. Shining's team is not exception - band's musicians participated in many different, mostly jazz projects, and two of them are even "Jaga Jazzist", one of best known European progressive new fusion band, members. But there is no music as on "Jaga Jazzist" albums on Blackjazz at all.

In fact, musicians doing there on this album, same things they 're doing in their other projects - they are mixing different styles in one melted fusion. The difference is components: this fusion is very fast, very heavy, cold, industrial, with trash/death metal vocals. Possibly, it is most radical mix, with still could be named "fusion".

Possibly, it is difficult to imagine, how does it sounds: just think about Zorn's Naked City, some radical form of King Crimson, and the atmosphere is very similar to The Mars Voltian chaotic space, but without such deep psychedelic sense.

As many avant/experimental works, this album is not everyone's cup of tea. For those searching for harmony, mellow symphonic conformism with very regulated element of heavy rock in their music, or lovers of Pat Metheny pleasant listening, this album could break their nerves. Or bring them into depression. Or just destroy their pink glasses. If you're the one from categories from above, better avoid. It is just not your world ( and there is huge industry, working to produce one more product to make you happy).

But for dark streets travellers, for researchers of the borders between light and dark, for those thinking music is not nice soundtrack for your cocktail party - try this.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#277595) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 12, 2010

3 stars Well I must admit this is a diappointment for me after their previous album "Grindstone" which blew me away.They've pretty much made this record more extreme when it comes to the vocals and sound. It's a noisy and chaotic recording while the growling and screaming vocals are just too much for me. A very intense album.

They kind of play with the title of Neil Young's "Needle And The Damage Done" calling their's "The Madness And The Damage Done". It opens with yelling then kicks in heavily. Not a fan of the vocals here. It's chaotic before 3 minutes and the vocals come screaming back after 4 minutes. "Fiskeye" opens with heavy drums as crazy synths join in. Spoken vocals a minute in as the guitar joins in. Synths are back. Sax before 3 1/2 minutes. Catchy stuff believe it or not. "Exit Sun" has a good guitar intro and some killer drum work.It turns experimental when it settles. Kicks back in at 6 minutes.

"Exit Sun" is a short percussion based tune. "Helter Skelter" is an uptempo track with drums and dissonant sax standing out. "Madness And The Damage Done" is intense early. Drums kick in before 2 minutes and the guitar follows. "Blackjazz Deathtrance" has these strange sounds that pulse before the heavy drums arrive. It settles around 3 1/2 minutes with more weird sounds. Spoken words follow. It's intense again. A calm before 6 1/2 minutes then it picks back up 8 minutes in. "Omen" is dark and intense once again. Sax in this one after 4 1/2 minutes and later. "21st Century Schizoid Man" is an interesting cover especially with the processed growling vocals. I prefer APRIL WINE's version.

A tough one for me to get into. Experimental, chaotic, noisy and loud. And no this has nothing to do with Jazz.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#295932) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 23, 2010

Review by Cesar Inca
4 stars What is this sort of radical experimentation in music comprised in "Blackjazz"? - a mixture of dementia, rebellion and black magic, perhaps. Mostly, it is the hyperbole of avant-garde metal, or the hyperbole of avant-garde jazz-rock wrapped up in abundant shades of metal and bound with progressive laces. No matter how sophisticated your sentences pour out in order to make an attempt to define the musical offering of Norway's Shining. It will always come out complicated and not as clear as it intended to be. Well, so let's try to point out at it this way: a dynamic mixture of prog metal, death, 90s Crimson, avant-jazz, RIO and electronica. Or maybe this way: a confluence of hyper-Fantomas, ultra-KC, mega-NIN and over-Tool at the UZ-meets-Zappath power. I'm afraid t didn't work either, but I'll leave it to rest so I can now set my mind to describe the repertoire of Shining's "Backjazz", arguably the cruelest prog rock album of the year. The first part of 'The Madness And The Damage Done' states a complex set of cadences that allows tension and counterpart to weave the running shrapnel of lunatic rock sonorities. 'Fisheye' is a bit less loud and more industrial- based: the massive influences from NIN and Tool are easily noticeable. Intelligent storms and erudite tortures, all this and more is what we have got so far from the Shining ranks? and will continue to, be warned. 'Exist Sun Pt. 1' also bears a Toolian mood in places, but the overall framework happens to be more related to Behold The Archtopus and Between The Buried And Me. The industrial expansion of the not-too-long 'Exit Sun Pt. 2' paves the way for the explosive odyssey of metal-jazz encapsulated in 'HEALTER SKELTER', a curious homage to The Beatles' wildest song ever. 'HEALTER SKELTER' is one of the most accomplished manifestations of the band's aesthetics of cruelty in the album - dissonant, powerful restless, yet sophisticated enough as to achieve artistic greatness beyond simple anger. The second part of 'The Madness And The Damage Done' starts on an autumnal mood, Crimsonically contemplative ("Red"-era Crimson is the obvious reference here), until the reprise of the first part's main motif brings a relief for massive aggression of sound. 'Blackjazz Deathtrance' occupies a 11- minute span: a prog metal gale focused on alternated sources of avant-garde adventures, industrial explosions, death metal irruptions and jazzy occasional developments. Many instrumental deliveries are really humanly impossible, as Zappa would say: given the amount and intensity of the mood and tempo shifts, it must have been particularly challenging for drummer Lofthus to use every ounce of his talent in order to comply with the demands for the rhythmic department. What a great work! 'Omen' is an exercise on creepy ambiences and surrealistic developments that inherits much of the darkness epitomized in UZ's "Heresie". All throughout the track's 8 minute span, there is a feeling of impending doom that never seems to fully come to the fore, and still, the fear remains solid as an infinite grey cloud on an endless winter sky. The tracklist end with a cover of KC's perpetual classic '21st Century Schizoid Man': Grutle Kjellson, of Enslaved, guests on vocals for this one. The band gives this classic a Dadaistic spin with lots of industrial-metal and RIO nuances along the way. Even though this particular cover does not add something essential to the "Blackjazz" experience, it works as a hint to the artistic ideology upheld by Shining. General conclusion: an excellent item in any progressive schizoid man's collection.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#299976) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars One would only hope that Shining would stick to the winning formula, that they so marvelously established on Grindstone, and push it even further with their highly anticipated follow-up release. This would of course not be something that the band members would ever accept, considering their highly fluctuating style shifts up to this point.

While In The Kingdom Of Kitsch You Will Be A Monster still had one foot solidly placed in the world of Avant-garde Jazz and Grindstone loosening those traditions and instead expanding on the darker and more eclectic approach to music making. Blackjazz does seem to promise that same tradition, judging solely by the album's title, but what we get here is just one half of what made Grindstone the great record that it was.

Right off the bat, The Madness And The Damage Done starts off as a wild beast that just won't be tamed no matter how hard you'll try. It's a wild and extravagant piece that seems to take as much inspiration from Extreme Metal as Electronic Rock. Yes, we had the electronica experiments available on Grindstone, but it was hardly the only reason why that album felt so ambitious and different. I'm talking about the groovy soundscapes that we got as the record progressed, which showed us the versatile band that Shining truly was. This just doesn't happen on Blackjazz and what we get instead is more of the same Extreme Metal and Electronic Rock sound all throughout the record.

It doesn't really help that Blackjazz is almost a third longer than its two predecessors. I honestly get exhausted while listening to this record and this feeling of fatigue hasn't really diminished over time. I often don't even care that the album ends with a cover of King Crimson's great anthem 21st Century Schizoid Man. That statement in itself says a lot!

In retrospect, I don't consider Blackjazz to be a bad record and there are quite a few tracks that come close to achieving the greatness of the band's previous milestones. Still, there are just too many flaws for me to consider rating it any higher than this. Good, but far from essential.

**** star songs: The Madness And The Damage Done (5:20) Fisheye (5:08) Exit Sun (8:36) Healter Skelter (5:35) The Madness And The Damage Done (3:24) Blackjazz Deathtrance (10:52)

*** star songs: Exit Sun (0:57) Omen (8:46) 21st Century Schizoid Man (8:41)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#445379) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Review by Warthur
5 stars Just as Dodheimsgard's 666 International attempts to fuse industrial music and black metal from a black metal direction, Shining's Blackjazz tries the same experiment from the perspective of an industrial musician, and of the two experiments I think this is the more successful one. With keyboards that sound like guitars, guitars that sound like keyboards, and a wall of noise which shifts between industrial and black metal modes on a whim, the group have produced a complex soundscape with sufficient variety that there's space for a King Crimson cover at the end of the album which seems bizarrely appropriate given the howling cacophony that precedes it. Not to everyone's taste, but if it is to your taste you'll love it to bits.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#772955) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 17, 2012

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars More tea vicar?

For reasons unknown to me, metal has entered my life again..... It's strange, I used to be a huuuuuge headbanger, black and blue hair, nose ring and the works, and then by the flick of the switch my tastes changed, I started listening to electronic music, jazz, hip hop, avantguarde sorcery - found out about dancing the night away - completely unlike Gene Kelly, I always prefer the sun - and somehow over 10 years went by.

SNAP!!! It said, when I then, just for fun's sake, put on an album given to me by one of my old metal friends. Blackjazz zooms out of the speakers and whacks me over my head with the force of a wet screaming baby. The brutal hard edgings of the riffing, the occasional grindcore drumming as well as the freaky howls of the toy keyboards, all make this venture extremely chaotic. You get thrown into the washing machine and hope for the best...............My jaw dropped, I started bobbing back and forth in the chair I was sitting in, and suddenly the urge just got too overwhelming and I swooped out of my seat with the grace of a small dear - flying halfway through the room - headbanging uncontrollably for about 10 minutes. My fasting days had run their course, so it would seem. Metal had returned.

This is not your every day metal though - not even remotely. The vocals hint of black metal while the drums from Elephant9 drummer Thorstein Lofthus pull toward both jazz rock and the early RIO scene. In between you get electronic mish mashes that sound like a toy store gone berserk at night - coating most of this album in a somewhat surreal ambiance. Teamed up with the harsh growling vocals, you effectively get two opposites pulling away from each other throughout the course of this album. This is part of the genius though, not unlike the way great horror flicks betrayed our fickle minds with images of small school girls, blood flowing through elevator doors and an unnerving soundtrack storming through your sensory system.

Norway is undeniably one of the birthplaces of Black Metal, and while you'll find a great deal of people up here in Scandinavia swearing to the original strain of the genre, there are still bands taking this thing to the next level. Ulver fx.... They both pioneered the Black Metal genre as well as the progressive take on it. My guess is that Shining probably picked up a thing or two from Ulver, even if it may seem as if they couldn't be further from each other musically.

Blackjazz is not for the faint of heart. It's the kind of music that stabs it's way through the airwaves. It's vicious, brutal and then at the same time incredibly frail. There's a thin line running through this album, the very tightrope the vocals balance on - where the drums spin out of control and somehow have to land on their feet again. -All of this chaos depends on a frail and minuscule line, a common idea of where the music needs to go and what it needs to get there. It's insanely difficult to pull something like this off properly, especially when the pace is so furious and pumping.

This is without a doubt music for the adventurous folks out there. Puppies definitely not allowed. Blackjazz is basically what Samla Mammas Manna would sound like if they were a modern Black Metal band. It's fun, heavy like skips of gold, erratic, choppy, insane, loud, shrieking, unforgiving and energetic like a horny black rabbit on the prowl.

Expect ear bleed and soar ankles the morning after.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#982850) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013

4 stars Well, Shining certainly took the vibe of Grindstone even further here on Blackjazz. Where Grindstone was a heavy, yet experimental and dynamic record, this one is just a continous punch in the gut all the way through. The record starts off well with the opening duo of The Madness & The Damag ... (read more)

Report this review (#278640) | Posted by tired_feet | Tuesday, April 20, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Wow. That was the word that popped into my head when I first listened to "The Madness & The Damage Done, Pt. 1." And, that word continued to enter my thoughts as the album continued on its course. Now, at week #3 of owning this album, I can honestly say that it's one of the most powerful, artfu ... (read more)

Report this review (#276603) | Posted by MusicMan3172 | Tuesday, April 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Just the other day, I was reviewing Ihsahn's After and noted a particularly bonkers track called A Grave Inversed where Ihsahn and chums seemed to play as fast and horrifically as they can and just when you thought things couldn't get crazier, in came the saxophone. Exhilirating though it was, ... (read more)

Report this review (#273827) | Posted by Textbook | Wednesday, March 24, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Well all I have to say is wow with this album. To explain this album imagine if frank zappa made a metal album. It is very out there but that makes it unique. I have not really heart metal bands go this route much where they have very odd time signatures and changes throughout the song. It's very ... (read more)

Report this review (#273056) | Posted by sirfragalot86 | Saturday, March 20, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Finally something new! I like groups trying to emulate the seventies great bands, but only some of them are really good. The same for progmetal bands trying to follow the Dream Theater wave... Here, we are talking about a NEW kind of music, an incredible and unexpected mix of genres... Maybe GR ... (read more)

Report this review (#270337) | Posted by sbaguz | Monday, March 08, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I was sceptical at first. Not because of the material on offer here, but because I was mixing up the Swedish black metal band Shining with their Norwegian counterpart. Luckily the Norwegians don't sound a the sleightest bit like the depressing self mutilating metal music the Swedes make. Shinin ... (read more)

Report this review (#263756) | Posted by snoe | Monday, February 01, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 2nd review: Shining - Blackjazz : 5 stars. I cannot even begin to express the assault of jazzy waves of music that were crashing in my brain when the first 20 seconds of "The Madness And The Damage Done" knocked me back into my chair. I was literally stunned by the tempo, the rhythm, the vivid ... (read more)

Report this review (#261727) | Posted by Dunn Khan | Wednesday, January 20, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SHINING "Blackjazz"