REF┌GIO

Apocalypse Ref˙gio album cover

Buy APOCALYPSE Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Ref˙gio (5:07)
2. Cachoeira Das ┴guas Douradas (9:21)
3. Viagem No Tempo (4:29)
4. AmÚrica Do Sul (8:24)
5. Toccata (2:07)
6. Amaz˘nia (6:36)
7. ProgJazz (3:00)
8. Liberdade (3:22)
9. Lembranšas Eternas (5:50)
10. III Milŕnio (2:55)
11. ┌ltimo Horizonte (Live in USA) (4:49)
12. Terra Azul (Live in USA) (8:04)

Search APOCALYPSE Ref˙gio lyrics

Search APOCALYPSE Ref˙gio tabs

- Chico Casara / vocals and bass
- Eloy Fritsch / keyboards and backing vocals
- Chico Fasoli / drums, percussion and backing vocals
- Ruy Fritsch / guitars and backing vocals

Label: Rock Symphony / Musea Records

and to progshine for the last updates

APOCALYPSE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOCALYPSE Ref˙gio Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
The Final PleaThe Final Plea
Frontline Records
LP apocalypse (2nd) ~ USD $24.80

More places to buy APOCALYPSE music online Buy APOCALYPSE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for APOCALYPSE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

APOCALYPSE Ref˙gio ratings distribution

APOCALYPSE Ref˙gio reviews

Review by Fitzcarraldo
4 stars I bought this album on impulse after finding it in the Progressive Rock section of a very small music shop. Apart from its classification, the surreal cover art and list of track titles in Portuguese intrigued me. I have to say I'm glad I bought it.

APOCALYPSE is a Brazilian neo-Prog band very much in the Progressive Rock vein, producing music that reminds one a little of MARILLION and KANSAS, with maybe just a slight hint of YES at times, and with the Brazilian penchant for melody very evident. Eloy Fritsch is clearly a very talented keyboard player; his playing sounds at times like KEITH EMERSON and at other times a little like RICK WAKEMAN. In my opinion the keyboards on this album are excellent, but do not overwhelm the music. The guitar playing of Eloy's brother Ruy is good too, with some soaring guitar parts. Much of Chico Casara's singing is fine, but he does not have a particularly strong voice and sometimes has to strain, and occasionally he also has trouble hitting a note. He's not a bad bass player though. The rest of the band sometimes struggle a bit on the backing vocals too. I read a review of this album on another Web site suggesting that languages such as Portuguese and other Latin-based languages are not as suitable/pleasant as English for the vocals in Prog Rock, and that the songs on this album would possibly have been better in English. I have to disagree; I think Prog Rock in Portuguese (or Italian, or Spanish etc.) sounds fine and I'm glad (most) bands from non-English speaking countries sing in their native tongue. However I did wonder whether the reviewer was confusing the language with Chico Casara's singing limitations. Several reviews of this album on other Web sites have also suggested that Eloy Fritsch is the principal (only?) talent in the group. I also have to disagree with that idea; the band play well together and I enjoy the end product.

The recording sounds a little echoey to me and is not quite as crystal clear as some other albums I've listened to recently. The sound quality of the two bonus tracks, recorded live at ProgDay 99, North Carolina, is not so much different from the studio tracks, and the band's playing sounds as good on stage as in the studio. I'm no expert in recording, but all this makes me wonder whether the band put the studio songs down live in the studio. The band did not use guest musicians and so can reproduce faithfully on stage what they do in the studio, which is impressive. By the way, the band went down well at ProgDay 99, getting a standing ovation. The guitar at the beginning of the first ProgDay 99 track, '┌ltimo Horizonte', even reminded me of VAN HALEN.

The lyrics are generally good, some parts very poetic, although in one or two tracks there is a bit too much repetition of a key phrase in my opinion, but this is a minor criticism.

The keyboard and bass riff that starts off the first and title track 'Ref˙gio' (refuge) is very catchy. You can listen to the MP3 of this track on the band's Web site - the track is called 'Ref˙gio Dos Inocentes' (refuge of the innocents) on their Web site, which must have been the working title because, as I write this, the site has not been updated since before the album was released. I like the track very much and it is a good indication of the style of the rest of the album. The track that follows it on the album, 'Cachoeira das ┴guas Douradas', is excellent and the lyrics are very poetic but unfortunately in places it is a bit of a challenge vocally for Chico Casara. 'AmÚrica do Sul' is a lovely, melodic track; the fast drumming rhythm at the start of the track giving way to a beautiful eulogy to an amazing continent. The second live track, 'Terra Azul', has good lyrics and, like 'AmÚrica do Sul', is a lovely, melodic track. 'III Milŕnio' is a great track - the synth is superb and reminds me of ISAO TOMITA's playing on "Snowflakes Are Dancing". Actually, there is not a track on the album that I don't like, although 'ProgJazz' is a cotton candy track and a bit corny, but even that has some good guitar and a short burst of satisfying, fat synth.

Given my slight quibbles with the vocals and the recording quality, I would be inclined to award the album 3.5 stars if such a thing were possible. As it isn't, and as the album has been playing a lot in my house of late, I'm rounding it up to 4 stars (Excellent addition to any prog rock collection); despite the flaws I've mentioned I have to say I really enjoy the album and it pleases me more than some of the cerebral stuff I've listened to recently. It does not have classical undertones (well, apart from the short instrumental 'Toccata' which, by the way, is also good and showcases Eloy Fritsch's keyboard skills), is not novel or avant-garde, but it has catchy tunes and melodies, some excellent keyboards, good guitar and is very Prog Rock in style. The French prog record company Musea thought APOCALYPSE were worth signing, so give it a try if you are adventurous as this album is available outside its native Brazil.

Send comments to Fitzcarraldo (BETA) | Report this review (#18992) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 04, 2004

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars I quite liked their sophomore album ź Aurora Dos Sonhos" (four stars in my books), but this one is not quite on par. The music is much harder and has little to share with the symph genre I praise so much.

At times, vocals are sweet and piano relatively subtle. But most of time, the beat is quite "elevated" and the music quite simplistic ("Amazonia"). This is rather a disillusion for me but I was maybe expecting too much from this band after some good earlier work.

Now, the music performed is of great skills but emotion sounds quite alien here. This is a crafted album, with very good musicians but a serious lack in the song writing. Just have a listen to "Prog Jazz" to get confirmation. Lots of jazz and little prog IMHHO.

I can't really call out one single track as being outstanding. And that's a major problem as far as I'm concerned. Some usual neo tendencies during "Lembranšas Eternas" are maybe one of the best thing you can experience. But this is far too weak in comparison with the talent of the band.

This album is much more neo-prog oriented. But low-key neo as far as I'm concerned. The melodic closing "Terra Azul" is my fave; but none of the songs from this album can compete with their great "Aurora?").

I am really disappointed with this "Refugio" work. I am generous tough: I will grant it with three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#307295) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 29, 2010

2 stars I Like Apocaypse. Very good musicians and peoples. But this is not a good album for me. the compositions is not so inspired like the pass albuns. Sorry, but is what i feel. The good music come first,the good musicians after. Regina listen the album "Perto do Amanhecer" (Apocalypse-1995)and you ... (read more)

Report this review (#18991) | Posted by | Saturday, April 24, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is their best effort till date! Strongs compositions such as "Cachoeira das ┴guas Douradas" delivers the best that south american progressive have ever done! Eloy Fritsch is for certain one of the most talented keyboardists around and his classy performance is for certain the biggest feauture h ... (read more)

Report this review (#18990) | Posted by | Monday, December 15, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of APOCALYPSE "Ref˙gio"