PLANET EARTH?

The Watch

The Watch Planet Earth? album cover

Buy THE WATCH Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1. Welcome to your Life (6:11)
2. Something Wrong (7:41)
3. Earth (5:52)
4. All the Lights in Town (8:15)
5. The World Inside (5:58)
6. New Normal (3:41)

- Guglielmo Mariotti / bass
- Valerio De Vittorio / keyboards
- Marco Fabbri / drums

Lizard

Thanks to crazyprog for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

THE WATCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WATCH Planet Earth? Music

TimelessTimeless
Imports 2011
CHEAP CDS Kanye West & Jay-Z "Watch The Throne" CD US $13.07 Buy It Now 34m 35s
KANYE WEST/JAY-Z - WATCH THE THRONE, Brand New Not Sealed US $8.41 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Watch the Sky Patty Larkin CD US $12.90 Buy It Now 1h 19m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - DANCE OF THE CUCKOOS - THE BAND OF THE BLACK WATCH - SRL1135 US $11.75 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Chocolate Watch Band - Inner Mystique Vinyl Record LP US $23.81 Buy It Now 1h 46m
SUSAN BOYLE-SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK G00 US $31.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
AL HIRT-"MUSIC TO WATCH GIRLS BY" 12" FULL LP LPM-3773 MONO DYNAGROOVE US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Band Of The Black Watch - Scotch On The Rocks 1975 7" Ex Spark SRL1128 US $6.71 Buy It Now 3h
Ruby Lee - I Belive In You /Im Gonna Put A Watch On You - Poptone US $126.07 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Pat Lewis - Watch Out - Test Press (100) Sonic Wax 021 US $16.81 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Someone to Watch over Me [Digipak] by Bennie Wallace (CD, Jun-1999, Enja (USA)) US $9.35 Buy It Now 3h 27m
NORTHERN ORIGINAL ACCENTS TELL ME / BETTER WATCH OUT CHALLENGE DEMO US $20.17 Buy It Now 4h 9m
More Music to Watch Girls By - Vol.2 (CD) 40 Easy Listening Classics - Fast Post US $10.07 Buy It Now 4h 13m
Kissing To Be Clever - Culture Club VG+ to EX - Listen & Watch video! US $2.99 [0 bids]
LIVING DEATH WATCH OUT! RARE 1985 IMPORT LP DESTRUCTION KREATOR US $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
TACTICS Gold Watch / Standing By The Window AUSTRALIAN 7" Vinyl 1979 US $25.22 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Ferry Corsten - Watch Out (2006) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Someone To Watch Over Me Susannah McCorkle CD Concord CCD 4798-2 1998 US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Black Watch - Flowering (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 5h 27m
Adam Faith-Lonesome/Watch Your Step UK 7" EX Cond US $10.07 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Better Watch Out [CD 2], Ant & Dec, Good Single US $2.13 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Doug Rawling and the fourth watch "rhythm in stone" 1991 Image 7 Music US $2.50 Buy It Now 5h 51m
Someone To Watch Over Me - Frank Sinatra - Stereo - HS 11277 Harmony - Columbia US $7.77 [0 bids]
V.A.Classic Rock Mag. Present 2014 Ones to Watch With 98 Pages Book US $3.95 [0 bids]
Santa Esmeralda - The House of the Rising Sun - 1978 Casablanca - EX Watch VIDEO US $8.00 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Rose Royce - Strikes Again - 1978 Soul Disco Funk LP EX WATCH VIDEO! US $8.00 Buy It Now 6h 9m
IRONHORSE-SWEET LUI-LOUISE/WATCH ME FLY-ORIGINAL ITALIAN 45rpm 7" 1979-HARD ROCK US $13.00 Buy It Now 6h 23m
Music To Watch Girls By By Various Artists US $4.14 Buy It Now 6h 28m
Susan Boyle Someone To Watch Over Me CD her third #1 album US $15.98 Buy It Now 6h 40m
BAND OF THE BLACK WATCH - DANCE OF THE CUCKOOS - 7" VINYL 1975 SPARK US $7.88 Buy It Now 6h 54m
SEATRAIN watch LP VG WL Promo WLP BS 2692 Vinyl 1973 Record 1A/1A US $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 3m
Black Watch : Seven Rollercoasters CD (1997) US $8.48 Buy It Now 7h 11m
Cabrera I Watch You Steve Mac 4 Da Headz Remix 12" Data DATA90P3 We grade the vi US $16.81 Buy It Now 7h 13m
Seatrain LP Watch 1973 Warner Bros roots fusion blues project US $4.99 [0 bids]
GOB SQUAD - WATCH THE CRIPPLE DANCE - 2008 CD NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 34m
The Band Of The Black Watch SCOTCH ON THE ROCKS Festival Music Cassette 1975 US $46.70 Buy It Now 7h 45m
Garage TYRANNIES on Watch Class Of 66 Moody LA Haunter LISTEN US $79.99 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Al Hirt "Music To Watch Girls By" LP VG+ (1967) vinyl record album US $4.50 [0 bids]
Guru Watch What You Say with Chaka Khan Jazzmatazz Vol II The New Reality NEW CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 35m
SUSAN BOYLE- SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME CD & DVD (DELUXE NEW) + The Best of Videos US $4.02 Buy It Now 8h 40m
Elvis Presley 'Bangle Watch' US $75.64 Buy It Now 8h 56m
the Black Watch and other pipe and drum tunes Folkways 8810 with insert US $25.00 Buy It Now 8h 57m
The Regimental Band & Mass Pipers THE bLACK Watch London 99375 US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 5m
Boneshaker - Watch The Skies / On The Air 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 9h 6m
Stylistics 45 You'll Never Get to Heaven /If You Don't Watch Ou record 7" vinyl US $2.50 Buy It Now 9h 45m
UNIT BREED Death Watch CD Punk HC Emo modest mouse big black US $1.99 [0 bids]
CAMORRA- WATCH UIS START A TREND US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 57m
ay-Z & Kanye West Power Watch The Throne Vinyl 2 LP Picture Disc GOLD SEALED US $199.85 Buy It Now 10h 5m
BIX - ESKIMO / WATCH OUT 7" TURKISH RARE US $30.00 [0 bids]
ABBA - WATERLOO / WATCH OUT 7" TURKISH PRESSING RARE US $65.00 [0 bids]
FRANKIE VALLIE / WATCH WHERE YOU WALK / TO GIVE / EXCELLENT CONDITION US $1.99 Buy It Now 10h 14m
Watch Me by Lorrie Morgan (CD, Oct-1992, BNA) US $1.99 [0 bids]
NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH-LP Black Wax New Album:Suicidal Tendencies,Excel,Punk,kbd,hc US $12.50 Buy It Now 10h 21m
Watch Me by Lorrie Morgan CD ED4 # US $4.47 Buy It Now 10h 25m
The Royalettes Poor Boy / Watch What Happens 1965 45rpm US $11.99 Buy It Now 10h 57m
DAVID HAMILTON music to watch girls by LP 10 track but sleeve has some creasing US $8.39 Buy It Now 10h 59m
Cutty Ranks & General Levy Weh Dem A Watch We For 12" Fashion Records 1994 US $20.15 Buy It Now 11h 9m
The Rolling Stones 50th Years Anniversary Custom Metal Sport Watch US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Chris Montez "Watch What Happens" Original 1968 A & M Records SP 4157 Stereo Ex US $34.99 [0 bids]
CURT GOWDY TELLS YOU HOW TO WATCH PRO FOOTBALL ORIGINAL 1972 VINYL LP RECORD EX US $12.99 [0 bids]
The 4 Seasons Watch Flowers Grow Raven 45 Philips US $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 29m
Northern Soul 45 ~ Teens Three ~ Watch Over My Baby ~ Roulette ~ mp3 WLP US $7.99 [0 bids]
Watch Ya Seeds Pop Out: Bustin' Melonz (CD, 1994) US $4.95 Buy It Now 11h 36m
DINAH SHORE SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME & LOVE WALKED IN VICTOR 20-1651 US $5.03 Buy It Now 11h 48m
CD MUSIC TO WATCH GIRLS BY Andy Williams TONY BENNETT Doris Day LOUIS PRIMA New! US $4.50 Buy It Now 11h 56m
LES & LARRY ELGART-MUSIC TO WATCH GIRLS BY COLUMBIA CS 9433 NM/NM LP US $24.98 Buy It Now 11h 57m
Watch Me by Lorrie Morgan (CD, Oct-1992, BNA) US $1.49 [0 bids]
MINT ORIG 50's MOD 45~LARRY &~WATCH /CAN WOBBLE~LISTEN US $29.99 Buy It Now 12h 17m
Watch Me, Lorrie Morgan, Excellent US $1.00 Buy It Now 12h 24m
MANFRED MANN'S EARTHBAND watch GERMAN ORIGINAL LP 25 762 XOT US $24.00 Buy It Now 12h 26m
Watch Them Die: Bastard Son CD 2005 Century Media Records 8171-2 US $7.95 Buy It Now 12h 32m
Englishman in New York / Someone to Watch Over Me / Up From the Skies EP, Sting, US $8.58 Buy It Now 12h 33m
LATIN CHA CHA TITTYSHAKER--BOBBY MADERA-- WATCH YOUR STEP --HEAR BOTH- ABC US $5.99 [0 bids]
LP, The Black Watch and Other Pipe and Drum Tunes, Folkways fw 8810, VG++ US $15.00 Buy It Now 12h 46m
Peaches & Herb 45 "Close Your Eyes"/ "I Will Watch Over US $5.24 Buy It Now 12h 51m
Crib Underground-Watch Out Now/Turn It Out-12"Single-Vinyl-CUEP3676-VG++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 52m
CHOCOLATE WATCH BAND No Way Out CD NEW GARAGE PSYCH ROCK SUNDAZED US $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 54m
Watch for the Hook [CD/Vinyl Single] [Single] by Cool Breeze (CD, Dec-1998, I... US $1.99 [0 bids]
FRANKIE VALLI - Watch Where You Walk / To Give (The Reason I Live) MINT UNPLAYED US $12.95 Buy It Now 13h 13m
Guitar Shorty Watch Your Back CD US $12.08 Buy It Now 13h 15m
THE ANGELS "NM WAX" Watch The Red ELPS4354 LP V1706 US $7.99 [0 bids]
STING 3 song cd ENGLISHMAN FROM NEW YORK up from the skies SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER US $5.00 Buy It Now 13h 36m
TAKEN BY TREES Watch The Waves UK vinyl 7" NEW/SEALED 300-copies US $11.75 Buy It Now 13h 42m
Watch Us Roll by 71 North (CD, Aug-2002, Warlock Records) US $8.00 Buy It Now 13h 44m
BAJA MARIMBA BAND WATCH OUT! ALBUM ON THE EARLY! A&M GOLD LABEL GREAT CONDITION US $6.99 [0 bids]
BAJA MARIMBA BAND - WATCH OUT - "SEALED" - "SEALED" US $30.00 Buy It Now 14h 3m
FRANK SINATRA my way 33 5 songs watch what happens/a day in the life/for once US $24.00 Buy It Now 14h 4m
The Watch - Primitive CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
Stephen James Just Watch Me Boogie/I've Had It 45 RPM 1977 Safari Records EX US $10.00 Buy It Now 14h 11m
THE BLACK WATCH Highland Pageantry '57 RCA LIVING STEREO ORIG LP Deep Groove US $5.89 Buy It Now 14h 31m
NORTHERN SOUL 45-DOROTHY BERRY-YOU BETTER WATCH OUT-PLANETARY-LISTEN US $149.99 [0 bids]
Watch Out Now [US] [Single] by Beatnuts (The) (CD, M... US $2.49 [0 bids]
Chocolate Watch Band Revolutions Reinvented LP garage psych Standells Cramps US $27.73 Buy It Now 14h 37m
Sway & King Tech 2005 "WATCH CLOSER" & "ENOUGH BEEF" 12" Vinyl Record US $7.99 Buy It Now 14h 54m
SEATRAIN Watch '73 8 Track Tape in Box VG++ US $6.00 Buy It Now 14h 55m
Sounds Ceremonial 1st Battalion Black Watch LP VG++ US $8.95 Buy It Now 15h 5m
SLIM CHANCE Watch The Birdie b/w Watch The Birdie 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 11m
LAURA FYGI - WATCH WHAT HAPPENS [LAURA FYGI] - NEW CD US $8.98 Buy It Now 15h 12m
The Higsons Featuring Jacques Hughes - Music To Watch Girls By 7" US $6.72 Buy It Now 15h 18m
VERY RARE CASSETTE TAPE~DIAHANN CARROLL~THE TIME OF MY LIFE~OLD FRIENDS+WATCH ME US $3.99 [1 bids]

More places to buy THE WATCH music online Buy THE WATCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WATCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WATCH Planet Earth? ratings distribution

THE WATCH Planet Earth? reviews

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Well, I know The Watch (and Night Watch) but Inever bother to write a review, not even for the so called īclassicī Vaccum (which, by the way, I bought after reading the glowing reviews when I joined PA). Itīs not that I donīt like them or similar minded outfits.The main problem with all the bands that try to emulate (or simply cloning) Gabriel era Genesis is the fact that they are all good to reproduce that groupīs timbres, arrangements, voices and even manneirisms, but rarely their real soul that is their stunning songwriting skill. Worse, they tend to concentrade their interpretation on the more dense, obscure and complex side of Genesis (like most parts of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway) instead of their great melodic and creative approach of their best known numbers (Citizen Cane is a good exemple of how unfathomable and plain complex they can get by this route).

The Watch does not exactly fall in that trap. Their use of acoustic guitars, Banks sounding keyboards and Hackett-like electric guitar solos are very well done and reminds me of Genesis best in many ways. Unfortunatly they did not come up with a convincing bunch of songs to match their good intentions. Planet Earth? However shows an obvious improvemnt over their previous effords. Not only the production here is much superior to all theyīve had before but the first two tracks are probably the best I ever heard written by this italian outfit. It was almost like facing what would be if Peter Gabriel stayed on around the time of A Trick Of The Tail. The remaining songs are not so good and listenging to them soon made my initial enthusiasm fade. Each one a little weaker than the previous. Not bad, really, but a little let down after the electrifying start.

Obviously all the musicians involved are very skillful and all. Simone Rossetti sounds A LOT like Peter Gabriel. And I guess they are on the way to write better and more convincing tunes in near future. At least this is what I hope. They had developed and deserve consideration. So a 3 star rating seems just about right. Good, sometimes very good, but (still) non-essential.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#268922) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 28, 2010

Review by Prog-jester
4 stars With every new THE WATCH release it becomes more difficult to write something new; I mean for us both, for me as a reviewer and for them as a band ;) Simone and the guys have been floating in Gabriel's GENESIS waters almost for 15 years (beginning from THE NIGHT WATCH's debut), and it's simply unbelievable how they manage to create something new within such narrow borders of their self-proclaimed style. Some modern arrangements, some unexpected hints, some fresh vocal overtones thrown here and there, but to be fairly honest "Planet Earth?" is the first THE WATCH album that I didn't put on repeat after the first listen; I've returned to it few weeks later, and now I feel like it's really good and solid work. 3.5 stars rounded to 4!

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#272479) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 17, 2010

4 stars I think this is the best thing they've done since "Vacuum". Now it's not as good as that particular album, but I do think it's worth 4 stars unlike their other two studio albums "Ghost" and "Primitive" both of which I gave 3 stars to respectively. The thing with "Vacuum" was the mellotron and the emotion that came with it.This new album doesn't have quite as much mellotron or emotion but enough to get me excited about this band again. And they use real mellotron unlike many modern bands.

"Welcome To Your Life" settles quickly with vocals then starts to pick up again after 1 1/2 minutes. I like the chorus.Mellotron before 5 1//2 minutes to end it. Nice. "Something Wrong" opens with acoustic guitar and reserved vocals. Electric guitar and a fuller sound before 2 minutes as these contrasts continue. Love when that electric guitar comes in. Flute after 4 minutes. This is a beautiful track. "Earth" has a powerful intro before vocals and an uptempo melody take over. Lots of keyboards and the tempo shifts often. Electric guitar after 4 minutes followed by mellotron.

"All The Lights In Town" opens with piano as pulsating organ, bass, drums and vocals take over. Guitar before 2 minutes then it calms right down. Not for long though. The mellotron, keys and vocals sound amazing 6 1/2 minutes in. "The World Inside" sounds so good with the vocals, keys and drums. It does get fuller as contrasts continue. Gorgeous track. "New Normal" is pastoral with flute. Reserved vocals join in. Mellotron too. "Tourist Trap" kicks in quickly with vocals. Nice bass too. It settles again as mellotron rolls in. The tempo continues to change. Lots of mellotron 5 1/2 minutes in.

My faith in this band has been rewarded. Sure this is GENESIS-101 but it's so good.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#280834) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 07, 2010

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover and E&O Teams
4 stars Is it a curse or blessing that one sounds like Peter Gabriel ? I don't mind it, I quite like this style, so this isn't a problem. I listened it album few weeks ago and after this listen, I was disappointed. So I concentrated on other work and left this album be while I returned recently to hear if I was wrong. Yeah, I was, I like it now.

For those who was disappointed that golden era of Genesis lasted just few albums (even regarded as masterpiece by Prog community), there is solution. There are bands that are considered by some as Gen-clone bands, that play (and sing) in "vein" of G. et cetera.

Why not I say, if it's influence, then it is OK. What is also important is to give "heart" to album making process, especially when it's Symphonic / Neo genre. I feel it here, it's present and it works. It's funny because when I was listening acoustic guitar solo in Something Wrong, I realized that I hear one part of "Supper's Ready", only polished, enhanced, upgraded. So I tried to find out if anyone feels the same way in previous reviews. Torodd's review shows that it's easy to guess which Gen album it may be. I wished it's Foxtrot and yeah, we are two. At least.

Earth on the other hand really reminds "Dance on a Volcano. We can continue like that for a long period of time, but it's not really that important.

As long as you don't mind it, you'll be OK. Because songs, tracks here, music in general is very good. With this strange feeling that you have heard it before. And you know even why.

4(-) should be balanced enough.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#280946) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 08, 2010

Review by Nightfly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
4 stars It's very difficult to say anything about The Watch that hasn't already been said in reviews of this album or previous ones for that matter. Understandably most people are going to immediately seize upon their uncanny resemblance to Genesis. This can't be denied and whether it's a good or bad thing is down to your own individual feelings about bands blatantly ripping off others to the point of being totally derivative. My own feelings on this is that we don't have Genesis anymore, never have in a prog sense for almost thirty years now and if we can't have them then this damn fine band will fill the spot nicely.

Whether The Watch sounded like Genesis or not there would be no getting away from the fact that vocalist Simone Rossetti is totally in the Peter Gabriel School of singers. Partly for this reason parallels are often drawn with the Gabriel Genesis era and quite rightly too. The instrumentation is very much of the early Genesis era too with Tony Banks styled piano, Mellotron and Hammond and guitars picked and strummed ala Steve Hackett and Mike Rutherford. Even the rhythm section borrows though in a more simplified form. Musically though I would stretch the influences as far as early Collins fronted Genesis with parts here and there, particularly on Something Wrong having a Trick Of The Tail vibe. Entangled and Ripples anyone?

How The Watch get away with all this is simple. They write great songs and have produced an album with subtle melodies that admittedly take a few plays to get under the skin, but when they do you're hooked. They produce a lovely sound, low on the bombastic front steering a largely mellower course, but that's fine with me. It's a very consistent album, not a weak moment in sight, the seven compositions full of interest with plenty of subtle changes and pleasing authentic seventies sounding instrumental moments.

Whether you like this album or not is going to depend on how much you like Genesis. If you don't then it's not for you but if you're a fan and don't mind something derivative then Planet Earth? Is well worth a listen.

Send comments to Nightfly (BETA) | Report this review (#282492) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Review by Warthur
3 stars I'm usually quite favourably disposed towards The Watch, because whilst they are an unabashed Genesis clone band they are at least able to present a skillful blend of the modern and the nostalgic, with their music resembling the classic Genesis sound with a sprinkling of more current touches. On Planet Earth, however, The Watch seem to have brushed those sprinkes aside in favour of more direct and (to my ears) unoriginal Genesis worship. It's all a pleasant enough listen, of course, but this time around the band seem to be low on inspiration - and that's never something I like to hear happening to a band I like, because who knows when they'll get it back?

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#744714) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012

Review by Gatot
3 stars Greetings from Jakarta! Happy Eid Mubarak for those muslims who are progheads as well ..!

Hi there! How are you? Sorry for missing from this lovely prog site such a long long time even though I keep visiting this site at least once in a week....but I have not written anything prog at all so far even though I am still proggin' till now and forever till the end of the world, probably ... My BIG apologies for many of you who emailed me and sent me PM asking me to comeback revieing prog albums. Yeah .. I wanted to but I had other demanding commitments on other things that I had to manage. Trust me .. I always keep on proggin' ....and have been enjoying many new prog albums such as Spock's Beard, Steven Wilson, The Tangent, The Flower Kings, Pain of Salvation and many more. Some of them I realize that I have not written any word about it including this album by The Watch. Let me try again to write another prog album review and hope that I still remember how to write good review as I really busy with other things including something related to music, ie the rebirth of cassette tape as an excellent analog medium for vintage prog and rock music. In my country, cassette tape is now regaining its competitive edge as many music lovers are getting bored with the clean (too damn clean) of digital music while vinyl is too damn expensive to acquire to most people.

Let's now talk about this "Planet Earth?"...

First off, you may recall that I am a great fan of symphonic prog - so no wonder that I love Genesis, Yes, ELP and the like. Talking about Genesis, most of you might refer to the charismatic figure of Peter Gabriel with his powerful voice. I missed Gabriel voice after he left Genesis that's why when I had a CD of Citizen Cain where the voice of Cyrus was clearly emulating Gabriel's I was so happy. Later, I found the Italian band named as The Night Watch whom its vocalist sounded like Gabriel as well - I was very happy also. I don't mind people call this band as copy cat of Genesis Gabriel era. So what? That's what I want, so ... I kept listening the band which later changed the name to The Watch. The fact that the vocalist sounds like Gabriel is a plus point for me even though musically is not as complex as Genesis. Never mind, I still enjoy it.

This album came to me long time ago and by the time I'm writing this review I have spun the album for more than eight times in its entirety already - so it's about time to write a fair review about this. Overall, I still think this album represents what I expected from this band who has been in fact consistent with its music direction: emulating Gabriel voice and Genesis kind of music. So, I am very happy about it. As I keep spinning it I find that as far as music flow this album makes a tendency for the listeners to get bored with the music which is not quite enthusiastic or less energetic, I would say, after the first impressive track. Sometimes I could not stand to listen the album until the end because of there was not so much variations in terms of nuances and musical dynamics. It's too soft probably...and less melodious.

The first track "Welcome to your Life" (6:11) is really impressive and very energetic as a symphonic prog music. It's not as energetic as "Back in NYC" but it makes me smile and happy enjoying the music especially with the repeating riffs that form an excellent rhythm section. It's so wonderful and I don't hesitate to give this track as an excellent one with fice star rating! In fact, this track has become my prime motive to spin this album. It's really my favourite track from this album and probably one of the finest from The Watch.

Unfortunately the great dynamic created by the opening track is not maintained beautifully at the following track 2. "Something Wrong" (7:41) which seems like being positioned like Genesis' "Entangled" with similar segments sounding alike. Great guitar work actually. It's like a dream comes true: Gabriel sings at A trick of The Tail album. fabulous idea, right? Unfortunately this track lacks its soul and nuance so that it creates a drawback. Don't get me wrong, this is a good track - but not having enough soul, in my opinion.

The third track "Earth" (5:52) is more energetic and in the same vein as the opening track. I would imagine if this one should have been positioned right after the first track ends or it flows seamlessly. The reason is because they both are in the same vein. Even tjough it's not as energetic as the opening track but this one is energetic and has its soul. It has some mellotron breaks as well. "All the Lights in Town" (8:15) starts nicely with piano work followed with energetic music like Watcher of The Skies style, combined with Get tHem Out By Friday - listen to how the bass guitar is played. The closing track "Tourist Trap" (7:23) is another good track from this album. The composition is balanced combining the energetic as well as mellow part with very good guitar fills very specific like Genesis.

In summary, this is a very good album from The Watch and I want them continue with this kind of music they play. I think this one deserves a 3.5 star rating. Never mind being called as Genesis copy cat. It's an excellent copy cat band. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

*) Oh I forgot how to make Bold and Italic ....

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#1015876) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 10, 2013

5 stars Fourth time's a charm for Gabriel-era Genesis influenced The Watch (not counting the debut as The Night Watch), and on this one the melodies are a bit stronger, the chords a bit more instriguing, and the band a bit tighter than on their previous releases. For me personally, each cd is progress ... (read more)

Report this review (#275993) | Posted by snelling | Friday, April 02, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I believe I am an admirer of this band. So a review of their new album is in order. It is impossible to listen to a The Watch album without even trying to guess which Genesis album this album is trying to copy. I can fully understand why half of their career is devoted to touring as a Genesis ... (read more)

Report this review (#269143) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, March 01, 2010 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I have always been a big fan of Genesis and, usually, I am also very indulgent in judging the work of the so-called Genesis's "clones". Nonetheless I think that this last effort from THE WATCH is a typical example of good packaging without content. Yes, a first superficial listen to the new album ... (read more)

Report this review (#266459) | Posted by Poldo65 | Monday, February 15, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Let me be the first to review this cd. I can't remain objective when I review an album from The Watch simply because when I hear them, they tickle hidden memories from my youth. I grownt with the music of Genesis since "Nursery Crime" era, The Watch play that way but not simply cloning that ki ... (read more)

Report this review (#265106) | Posted by crazyprog | Tuesday, February 09, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE WATCH "Planet Earth?"