PLANET EARTH?

The Watch

The Watch Planet Earth? album cover

Buy THE WATCH Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1. Welcome to your Life (6:11)
2. Something Wrong (7:41)
3. Earth (5:52)
4. All the Lights in Town (8:15)
5. The World Inside (5:58)
6. New Normal (3:41)

- Guglielmo Mariotti / bass
- Valerio De Vittorio / keyboards
- Marco Fabbri / drums

Lizard

Thanks to crazyprog for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

THE WATCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WATCH Planet Earth? Music

BLUE MINK 7"Single Quackers/Mind if I Stand And Watch You US $11.28 Buy It Now 29m 55s
7L & ESOTERIC Watch Me 12" PS, 7 Tracks Inc Word Association+Can't Come Close US $19.34 Buy It Now 35m 19s
[LP] Manfred Mann's Earth Band,Watch (Bronze) UK 1978 US $12.17 Buy It Now 46m 19s
Major Lazer - Watch out for this (Bumaye) / Bubble Butt - 2 x CD Promos US $16.11 Buy It Now 52m 24s
SUSAN BOYLE-SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME-JAPAN CD DVD LTD BONUS TRACK H75 US $35.99 Buy It Now 1h
ALEXISONFIRE -Watch Out! CD- SEALED - NEW in AUSTRALIA US $10.53 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Exclusive TINASHE Aquarius CD + Bonus Track WATCH ME WORK NEW Pre-release US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
EMMYLOU HARRIS So Sad To Watch Good Love Go Bad b/w Amarillo STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Watch Me by Lorrie Morgan (CD, Oct-1992, BNA) US $2.50 Buy It Now 1h 33m
RESQUE Watch Me When I Fall EP 12" single PS France 1992 ex+/ex US $11.28 Buy It Now 1h 52m
AKABU BEATS - WATCH YOURSELF 1984 12" PROMO COPY Rock Records BR 5003 US $7.26 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Smokey Hogg Blues LP U Better Watch That Jive VG-/M- US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 27m
ABBA_Waterloo_Watch Out_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships frm AUS!_B1b US $10.54 Buy It Now 2h 56m
ABBA: Waterloo / Watch Out 7" 45 NM UK Epic S EPC 2240 US $7.49 Buy It Now 3h 3m
Watch Out Now [US] [Single] by The Beatnuts (CD, May-1999, Relativity (Label) US $0.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Computerman No more broken hearts / Watch more television CD Promo Single US $5.39 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Lonely Tourist Sir I am a good man / Watch for the sharks CD Promo Single US $5.39 Buy It Now 3h 29m
EP * THE BOB CREWE GENERATION * "Music To watch Girls By + 3" MINT TAG US $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 59m
MEN'S WATCH 1 GB USB DISK, MP3 TECHNICAL MUSIC, ANALOG CHRONOGRAPH US $49.99 [0 bids]
Watch Me Dance 5021392666129, CD with DVD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $22.65 Buy It Now 4h 16m
FRANKIE VALLI - Watch Where You Walk / To Give (The Reason I Live) MINT UNPLAYED US $10.95 Buy It Now 4h 37m
JULIE ANDREWS 45 Someone to Watch Over Me / Star! 20TH CENTURY FOX Promo #591 US $16.00 Buy It Now 4h 50m
THE DOOBIE BROTHERS 45 What a Fool Believes/Don't Stop To Watch The Wheels US $2.22 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Shack 45 IT'S GOOD TO BE CAREFUL / WATCH THE DOG ~ VG++ US $4.99 [0 bids]
Classic Rock ** UNLEASHED ** Ones to watch in 2008 US $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 54m
BRANDI WELLS~WATCH OUT~1981 WMOT BOOGIE FUNK SOUL 12" LP *CLOSE TO NM PROMO* US $5.99 [0 bids]
Lorrrie Morgan - Watch Me US $1.99 Buy It Now 5h 41m
TODDLA T - Watch Me Dance - CD+DVD US $19.28 Buy It Now 5h 42m
BOB CREW GENERATION 45 RPM "Music to Watch Girls By" "Girls on the Rocks" VG US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 45m
Sugar Boy Watch Her Whip Her/You Call Everybody Sweetheart R&B Vinyl 45 Listen US $14.50 Buy It Now 6h 3m
The Bob Crewe Generation-Music To Watch Girls By-LP-DynoVoice-Shrink-Vinyl US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Bob Crewe Generation-Music To Watch Girls By-LP-Dynovoice-9003-Vinyl Record US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 23m
** FREDDIE McKAY WATCH YOUR STEP + SO LONG FAREWELL STUDIO ONE AWESOME REVIVE US $18.94 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Weekend Nachos - Watch You Suffer 7 Inch Single [Vinyl New] US $8.96 Buy It Now 6h 45m
Children Of Gaia ?- I Pray To Watch You Bleed US $25.00 Buy It Now 6h 53m
MAJOR WANNY - HAVE TO WATCH SOMETHING /- MEMORIES - TAPPA 7" ~ VG+ US $4.99 [0 bids]
BAJA MARIMBA BAND...WATCH OUT! US $2.99 [0 bids]
V/A - Music To Watch Girls By (UK 38 Tk Double CD Album) US $9.66 Buy It Now 7h 24m
SD's - featuring Sherry Richard - Watch The Clock Parts 1-2 - JB's 173 US $12.95 [0 bids]
MADONNA * MDNA 2012 TOUR PROGRAMME w/ VIP WATCH, BADGE SET & TOTE * BN&M! US $201.64 Buy It Now 7h 48m
LORRIE MORGAN/watch me/ sealed 1992 cd US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 57m
LIVING DEATH Watch out 12" EP ORIGINAL BRAZIL PRESSING SODOM KREATOR DESTRUCTION US $24.18 [0 bids]
J. DAVID SLOAN "LET THE WHOLE TOWN WATCH/I THOUGHT I'D CALL" 1973 OPRYLAND PS US $8.00 Buy It Now 8h 13m
WEEKEND NACHOS - WATCH YOU SUFFER NEW VINYL US $10.58 Buy It Now 8h 16m
MANFRED MANN'S EARTH BAND "WATCH" 8 Track! Brand New!! Sealed US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 21m
Watch Them Die Sticker - Doom / Thrash / Crust - Metal / Century Media Records US $0.02 [0 bids]
ICE-T: Freedom of Speech.Just Watch What You Say (Hip Hop & Rap Warner Bros) US $15.00 Buy It Now 8h 47m
Betty Wright ALSTON 4571 Watch Out Love / He's Bad Bad Bad 45rpm US $13.00 Buy It Now 8h 50m
northern soul WADE FLEMONS Watch Over Her VJ M- hear soundclip! US $30.00 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Soul Unplayed NM! 45 ANITA BAKER Watch Your Step on Elektra US $5.00 Buy It Now 9h 3m
WATCH ME , LORIE MORGAN, S/S CASSETTE US $2.99 Buy It Now 9h 3m
ANDY WILLIAMS - MUSIC TO WATCH GIRLS BY // THE FACE I LOVE - VG+VG++ US $3.30 Buy It Now 9h 12m
LORRIE MORGAN - WATCH ME & WAR PAINT (UK) NEW CD US $33.25 Buy It Now 9h 16m
Zipper Spy- Watch Your Damage CD, Merzbow, Haters, Macronympha, Pain Jerk, MSBR US $1.99 Buy It Now 9h 24m
ROCK SOUND CD NO 104 - ONES TO WATCH 2008! (REF E3) US $6.44 Buy It Now 9h 25m
ROCK SOUND CD VOL 117 - ONES TO WATCH 2009 (REF E3) US $6.44 Buy It Now 9h 26m
Al Hirt -Music To Watch Girls By - LP Record Album US $4.00 Buy It Now 9h 52m
MEN FROM THE NILE PEVEN EVERETT ROY DAVIS JR 12" VINYL HOUSE WATCH THEM COME US $7.26 [0 bids]
BARRABAS: Watch Out LP (saw mark) Soul US $18.00 Buy It Now 10h 3m
ELVIS COSTELLO usa '81 7" 45 WATCH YOUR STEP from TRUST, new wave US $8.10 Buy It Now 10h 6m
Sounds Ceremonial LP Coldstream Guards & Black Watch 1st Battalion Pipes Drums US $10.00 Buy It Now 10h 26m
The Little Heroes- Watch the World- advanced cassette- new/sealed US $10.00 Buy It Now 10h 36m
NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH - DILATED PEOPLES-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
*MEGA RARE* 1984 GUESS WHO 7" 45 Let's Watch Sun Down These Eyes M Prog Rock 60 US $2.99 [0 bids]
KEN COYLER'S JAZZMEN Watch That Dirty Tone Of Yours.... 1970 UK LP EX/EX US $12.10 Buy It Now 10h 55m
LISTEN - SOUL POPCORN -MARTHA SMITH - AS I WATCH YOU WALK AWAY - IT ALWAYS SEEMS US $34.99 Buy It Now 10h 58m
Guru of ?Gang Starr Feel The Music / Watch What You Say 12" Vinyl US $9.68 [0 bids]
Watch Me by Lorrie Morgan (CD, Oct-1992, BNA) US $5.00 Buy It Now 11h 15m
GUARDIAN - FIRST WATCH - ROADRUNNER RECORDS 1989 VG US $4.82 [0 bids]
Someone to Watch Over Me by Susan Boyle (Vocals) (CD, Nov-2011, Columbia (USA)) US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 32m
KING CRIMSON - THE NIGHT WATCH: NM ORIGINAL 2CD SET + BOOKLET & BIN DISCOUNT US $13.71 [0 bids]
(G944) Clash Magazine, One to Watch Vol 05 - DJ CD US $7.02 Buy It Now 11h 52m
(G961) Mother & The Addicts, Watch the Lines - DJ CD US $3.63 Buy It Now 11h 53m
BIG FOOT I Apologize/ Watch Your Step 12" single Sue Records International 1124 US $4.99 Buy It Now 12h 3m
Jay-z Watch The Throne US $20.00 [1 bids]
LENA HORNE & GABOR SZABO WATCH WHAT HAPPENS! CD Rocky Racoon Fool on the Hill US $14.99 Buy It Now 12h 10m
(396O) The Dials, Watch Her Walk Away - DJ CD US $4.82 Buy It Now 12h 14m
L.A. 4 Watch What Happens LP CJ-63 US $13.99 Buy It Now 12h 39m
EDISON 80804 HARVEY HINDERMYER & CHALMERS The Larboard Watch N- US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 51m
ERIC CLAPTON - PROMISES / WATCH OUT FOR LUCY (RSO 21) UK 1978 7'' SINGLE US $4.82 Buy It Now 12h 51m
Lot of 3 Longines Watch Co Symphonette 8 Track Tape Cassette Classic Album Sets US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 5m
(AU73) Furthest Drive Home, Diamond Watch - DJ CD US $4.44 Buy It Now 13h 6m
FRANK DARMINETO~NIGHT WATCH~SEALED 1985 PRIVATE LABEL JAZZ~SACKBUT RECORDS US $40.00 Buy It Now 13h 17m
29TH STREET SAXOPHONE QUARTET, "Watch Your Step" used vinyl LP record US $5.00 [0 bids]
Goodnight Tonight Watch the Rain CD US $8.04 Buy It Now 13h 50m
Ghost by The Watch (CD, Dec-2004, Lizard) Genesis Prog US $8.25 Buy It Now 14h 22m
Ted Hawkins ~ Watch Your Step ~ US LP Great Debut Record HEAR US $15.00 Buy It Now 14h 22m
Boy Hits Car 2 track CD I'm a Cloud & As I watch The Sun F*CK The Ocean Mint US $0.99 Buy It Now 14h 29m
THE PAUL ILGEN QUINTET Watch What Happens LP PI Production AUTOGRAPHED US $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 39m
HARRIS, EMMYLOU - SO SAD (TO WATCH GOOD LOVE GO BAD "JUKEBOX" 45 WARNER MINT- US $7.50 Buy It Now 14h 39m
Al Hirt - Music To Watch Girls By - 2000 CD - New, Factory Sealed! US $4.99 [0 bids]
WEIRD AL YANKOVIC The TV Album compilation I Can't Watch This I Lost On Jeopardy US $9.95 Buy It Now 15h 15m
ULTRAMAGNETIC MC'S - Watch Your Back / Message 12" (Tuff City, 1996) US $3.99 [0 bids]
LINDA RONSTADT 45 * 1983 * Someone To Watch Over You * UNPLAYED MINT * DJ PROMO US $5.00 Buy It Now 15h 56m
PENELOPE TORRIBIO - WATCH OUT I'M SINGING THE BLUES - CD, 2006 US $10.66 Buy It Now 16h
LINDA RONSTADT WHAT'S NEW CASSETTE NELSON RIDDLE SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME US $1.29 [0 bids]
Just Kidding LP Watch the Fires US $5.49 Buy It Now 16h 25m
DON HO Mega WL 1974 Promo WATCH OUT WOMAN NM Mono / Stereo US $9.00 Buy It Now 16h 45m
CAROL BURNETT & MARTHA RAYE - LET GO // WATCH WHAT HAPPENS - PROMO MINT- W/ SLV US $8.00 Buy It Now 16h 48m
DON SICKLER - NIGHT WATCH - NEW CD US $13.73 Buy It Now 16h 55m

More places to buy THE WATCH music online Buy THE WATCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WATCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WATCH Planet Earth? ratings distribution

THE WATCH Planet Earth? reviews

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Well, I know The Watch (and Night Watch) but Inever bother to write a review, not even for the so called īclassicī Vaccum (which, by the way, I bought after reading the glowing reviews when I joined PA). Itīs not that I donīt like them or similar minded outfits.The main problem with all the bands that try to emulate (or simply cloning) Gabriel era Genesis is the fact that they are all good to reproduce that groupīs timbres, arrangements, voices and even manneirisms, but rarely their real soul that is their stunning songwriting skill. Worse, they tend to concentrade their interpretation on the more dense, obscure and complex side of Genesis (like most parts of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway) instead of their great melodic and creative approach of their best known numbers (Citizen Cane is a good exemple of how unfathomable and plain complex they can get by this route).

The Watch does not exactly fall in that trap. Their use of acoustic guitars, Banks sounding keyboards and Hackett-like electric guitar solos are very well done and reminds me of Genesis best in many ways. Unfortunatly they did not come up with a convincing bunch of songs to match their good intentions. Planet Earth? However shows an obvious improvemnt over their previous effords. Not only the production here is much superior to all theyīve had before but the first two tracks are probably the best I ever heard written by this italian outfit. It was almost like facing what would be if Peter Gabriel stayed on around the time of A Trick Of The Tail. The remaining songs are not so good and listenging to them soon made my initial enthusiasm fade. Each one a little weaker than the previous. Not bad, really, but a little let down after the electrifying start.

Obviously all the musicians involved are very skillful and all. Simone Rossetti sounds A LOT like Peter Gabriel. And I guess they are on the way to write better and more convincing tunes in near future. At least this is what I hope. They had developed and deserve consideration. So a 3 star rating seems just about right. Good, sometimes very good, but (still) non-essential.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#268922) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 28, 2010

Review by Prog-jester
4 stars With every new THE WATCH release it becomes more difficult to write something new; I mean for us both, for me as a reviewer and for them as a band ;) Simone and the guys have been floating in Gabriel's GENESIS waters almost for 15 years (beginning from THE NIGHT WATCH's debut), and it's simply unbelievable how they manage to create something new within such narrow borders of their self-proclaimed style. Some modern arrangements, some unexpected hints, some fresh vocal overtones thrown here and there, but to be fairly honest "Planet Earth?" is the first THE WATCH album that I didn't put on repeat after the first listen; I've returned to it few weeks later, and now I feel like it's really good and solid work. 3.5 stars rounded to 4!

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#272479) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 17, 2010

4 stars I think this is the best thing they've done since "Vacuum". Now it's not as good as that particular album, but I do think it's worth 4 stars unlike their other two studio albums "Ghost" and "Primitive" both of which I gave 3 stars to respectively. The thing with "Vacuum" was the mellotron and the emotion that came with it.This new album doesn't have quite as much mellotron or emotion but enough to get me excited about this band again. And they use real mellotron unlike many modern bands.

"Welcome To Your Life" settles quickly with vocals then starts to pick up again after 1 1/2 minutes. I like the chorus.Mellotron before 5 1//2 minutes to end it. Nice. "Something Wrong" opens with acoustic guitar and reserved vocals. Electric guitar and a fuller sound before 2 minutes as these contrasts continue. Love when that electric guitar comes in. Flute after 4 minutes. This is a beautiful track. "Earth" has a powerful intro before vocals and an uptempo melody take over. Lots of keyboards and the tempo shifts often. Electric guitar after 4 minutes followed by mellotron.

"All The Lights In Town" opens with piano as pulsating organ, bass, drums and vocals take over. Guitar before 2 minutes then it calms right down. Not for long though. The mellotron, keys and vocals sound amazing 6 1/2 minutes in. "The World Inside" sounds so good with the vocals, keys and drums. It does get fuller as contrasts continue. Gorgeous track. "New Normal" is pastoral with flute. Reserved vocals join in. Mellotron too. "Tourist Trap" kicks in quickly with vocals. Nice bass too. It settles again as mellotron rolls in. The tempo continues to change. Lots of mellotron 5 1/2 minutes in.

My faith in this band has been rewarded. Sure this is GENESIS-101 but it's so good.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#280834) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 07, 2010

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Is it a curse or blessing that one sounds like Peter Gabriel ? I don't mind it, I quite like this style, so this isn't a problem. I listened it album few weeks ago and after this listen, I was disappointed. So I concentrated on other work and left this album be while I returned recently to hear if I was wrong. Yeah, I was, I like it now.

For those who was disappointed that golden era of Genesis lasted just few albums (even regarded as masterpiece by Prog community), there is solution. There are bands that are considered by some as Gen-clone bands, that play (and sing) in "vein" of G. et cetera.

Why not I say, if it's influence, then it is OK. What is also important is to give "heart" to album making process, especially when it's Symphonic / Neo genre. I feel it here, it's present and it works. It's funny because when I was listening acoustic guitar solo in Something Wrong, I realized that I hear one part of "Supper's Ready", only polished, enhanced, upgraded. So I tried to find out if anyone feels the same way in previous reviews. Torodd's review shows that it's easy to guess which Gen album it may be. I wished it's Foxtrot and yeah, we are two. At least.

Earth on the other hand really reminds "Dance on a Volcano. We can continue like that for a long period of time, but it's not really that important.

As long as you don't mind it, you'll be OK. Because songs, tracks here, music in general is very good. With this strange feeling that you have heard it before. And you know even why.

4(-) should be balanced enough.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#280946) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 08, 2010

Review by Nightfly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
4 stars It's very difficult to say anything about The Watch that hasn't already been said in reviews of this album or previous ones for that matter. Understandably most people are going to immediately seize upon their uncanny resemblance to Genesis. This can't be denied and whether it's a good or bad thing is down to your own individual feelings about bands blatantly ripping off others to the point of being totally derivative. My own feelings on this is that we don't have Genesis anymore, never have in a prog sense for almost thirty years now and if we can't have them then this damn fine band will fill the spot nicely.

Whether The Watch sounded like Genesis or not there would be no getting away from the fact that vocalist Simone Rossetti is totally in the Peter Gabriel School of singers. Partly for this reason parallels are often drawn with the Gabriel Genesis era and quite rightly too. The instrumentation is very much of the early Genesis era too with Tony Banks styled piano, Mellotron and Hammond and guitars picked and strummed ala Steve Hackett and Mike Rutherford. Even the rhythm section borrows though in a more simplified form. Musically though I would stretch the influences as far as early Collins fronted Genesis with parts here and there, particularly on Something Wrong having a Trick Of The Tail vibe. Entangled and Ripples anyone?

How The Watch get away with all this is simple. They write great songs and have produced an album with subtle melodies that admittedly take a few plays to get under the skin, but when they do you're hooked. They produce a lovely sound, low on the bombastic front steering a largely mellower course, but that's fine with me. It's a very consistent album, not a weak moment in sight, the seven compositions full of interest with plenty of subtle changes and pleasing authentic seventies sounding instrumental moments.

Whether you like this album or not is going to depend on how much you like Genesis. If you don't then it's not for you but if you're a fan and don't mind something derivative then Planet Earth? Is well worth a listen.

Send comments to Nightfly (BETA) | Report this review (#282492) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Review by Warthur
3 stars I'm usually quite favourably disposed towards The Watch, because whilst they are an unabashed Genesis clone band they are at least able to present a skillful blend of the modern and the nostalgic, with their music resembling the classic Genesis sound with a sprinkling of more current touches. On Planet Earth, however, The Watch seem to have brushed those sprinkes aside in favour of more direct and (to my ears) unoriginal Genesis worship. It's all a pleasant enough listen, of course, but this time around the band seem to be low on inspiration - and that's never something I like to hear happening to a band I like, because who knows when they'll get it back?

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#744714) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012

Review by Gatot
3 stars Greetings from Jakarta! Happy Eid Mubarak for those muslims who are progheads as well ..!

Hi there! How are you? Sorry for missing from this lovely prog site such a long long time even though I keep visiting this site at least once in a week....but I have not written anything prog at all so far even though I am still proggin' till now and forever till the end of the world, probably ... My BIG apologies for many of you who emailed me and sent me PM asking me to comeback revieing prog albums. Yeah .. I wanted to but I had other demanding commitments on other things that I had to manage. Trust me .. I always keep on proggin' ....and have been enjoying many new prog albums such as Spock's Beard, Steven Wilson, The Tangent, The Flower Kings, Pain of Salvation and many more. Some of them I realize that I have not written any word about it including this album by The Watch. Let me try again to write another prog album review and hope that I still remember how to write good review as I really busy with other things including something related to music, ie the rebirth of cassette tape as an excellent analog medium for vintage prog and rock music. In my country, cassette tape is now regaining its competitive edge as many music lovers are getting bored with the clean (too damn clean) of digital music while vinyl is too damn expensive to acquire to most people.

Let's now talk about this "Planet Earth?"...

First off, you may recall that I am a great fan of symphonic prog - so no wonder that I love Genesis, Yes, ELP and the like. Talking about Genesis, most of you might refer to the charismatic figure of Peter Gabriel with his powerful voice. I missed Gabriel voice after he left Genesis that's why when I had a CD of Citizen Cain where the voice of Cyrus was clearly emulating Gabriel's I was so happy. Later, I found the Italian band named as The Night Watch whom its vocalist sounded like Gabriel as well - I was very happy also. I don't mind people call this band as copy cat of Genesis Gabriel era. So what? That's what I want, so ... I kept listening the band which later changed the name to The Watch. The fact that the vocalist sounds like Gabriel is a plus point for me even though musically is not as complex as Genesis. Never mind, I still enjoy it.

This album came to me long time ago and by the time I'm writing this review I have spun the album for more than eight times in its entirety already - so it's about time to write a fair review about this. Overall, I still think this album represents what I expected from this band who has been in fact consistent with its music direction: emulating Gabriel voice and Genesis kind of music. So, I am very happy about it. As I keep spinning it I find that as far as music flow this album makes a tendency for the listeners to get bored with the music which is not quite enthusiastic or less energetic, I would say, after the first impressive track. Sometimes I could not stand to listen the album until the end because of there was not so much variations in terms of nuances and musical dynamics. It's too soft probably...and less melodious.

The first track "Welcome to your Life" (6:11) is really impressive and very energetic as a symphonic prog music. It's not as energetic as "Back in NYC" but it makes me smile and happy enjoying the music especially with the repeating riffs that form an excellent rhythm section. It's so wonderful and I don't hesitate to give this track as an excellent one with fice star rating! In fact, this track has become my prime motive to spin this album. It's really my favourite track from this album and probably one of the finest from The Watch.

Unfortunately the great dynamic created by the opening track is not maintained beautifully at the following track 2. "Something Wrong" (7:41) which seems like being positioned like Genesis' "Entangled" with similar segments sounding alike. Great guitar work actually. It's like a dream comes true: Gabriel sings at A trick of The Tail album. fabulous idea, right? Unfortunately this track lacks its soul and nuance so that it creates a drawback. Don't get me wrong, this is a good track - but not having enough soul, in my opinion.

The third track "Earth" (5:52) is more energetic and in the same vein as the opening track. I would imagine if this one should have been positioned right after the first track ends or it flows seamlessly. The reason is because they both are in the same vein. Even tjough it's not as energetic as the opening track but this one is energetic and has its soul. It has some mellotron breaks as well. "All the Lights in Town" (8:15) starts nicely with piano work followed with energetic music like Watcher of The Skies style, combined with Get tHem Out By Friday - listen to how the bass guitar is played. The closing track "Tourist Trap" (7:23) is another good track from this album. The composition is balanced combining the energetic as well as mellow part with very good guitar fills very specific like Genesis.

In summary, this is a very good album from The Watch and I want them continue with this kind of music they play. I think this one deserves a 3.5 star rating. Never mind being called as Genesis copy cat. It's an excellent copy cat band. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

*) Oh I forgot how to make Bold and Italic ....

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#1015876) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 10, 2013

5 stars Fourth time's a charm for Gabriel-era Genesis influenced The Watch (not counting the debut as The Night Watch), and on this one the melodies are a bit stronger, the chords a bit more instriguing, and the band a bit tighter than on their previous releases. For me personally, each cd is progress ... (read more)

Report this review (#275993) | Posted by snelling | Friday, April 02, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I believe I am an admirer of this band. So a review of their new album is in order. It is impossible to listen to a The Watch album without even trying to guess which Genesis album this album is trying to copy. I can fully understand why half of their career is devoted to touring as a Genesis ... (read more)

Report this review (#269143) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, March 01, 2010 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I have always been a big fan of Genesis and, usually, I am also very indulgent in judging the work of the so-called Genesis's "clones". Nonetheless I think that this last effort from THE WATCH is a typical example of good packaging without content. Yes, a first superficial listen to the new album ... (read more)

Report this review (#266459) | Posted by Poldo65 | Monday, February 15, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Let me be the first to review this cd. I can't remain objective when I review an album from The Watch simply because when I hear them, they tickle hidden memories from my youth. I grownt with the music of Genesis since "Nursery Crime" era, The Watch play that way but not simply cloning that ki ... (read more)

Report this review (#265106) | Posted by crazyprog | Tuesday, February 09, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE WATCH "Planet Earth?"