YEAR OF THE BLACK RAINBOW

Studio Album, released in 2010

1. One (1:54)
2. The Broken (3:53)
3. Guns of Summer (4:47)
4. Here We Are Juggernaut (3:44)
5. Far (4:54)
6. This Shattered Symphony (4:26)
7. World of Lines (3:17)
8. Made Out of Nothing (All That I Am) (4:39)
9. Pearl of the Stars (5:05)
10. In The Flame of Error (5:28)
11. When Skeletons Live (4:16)
12. The Black Rainbow (7:33)

Search COHEED AND CAMBRIA Year of the Black Rainbow lyrics

Search COHEED AND CAMBRIA Year of the Black Rainbow tabs

Claudio Sanchez - Guitar, Vocals
Tracis Stever - Guitar
Mic Todd - Bass
Chris Pennie - Drums, Percussion

Thanks to Bligahphlarum for the addition

COHEED AND CAMBRIA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• The Crowing In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3, 2003
  • Welcome Home Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness, 2005

Buy COHEED AND CAMBRIA Year of the Black Rainbow Music

The Afterman: DescensionThe Afterman: Descension
Hundred Handed Inc 2013
No World For TomorrowNo World For Tomorrow
COLUMBIA 2007
Coheed and Cambria The Afterman Deluxe 2LP SEALED w/Signed Guitar Pics 1500 only US $99.99 [1 bids]
1h
Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 [2LPs 180g] *SEALED* US $19.99 [9 bids]
SEALED! COHEED AND CAMBRIA THE AFTERMATH:ASCENSION HHI005V vinyl record album LP US $44.99 Buy It Now 2h
STRING QUARTET TRIBUTE TO COHEED AND CAMBRIA IN KEEPING SECRET - NEW CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA-Lot of 2 magazine adverts US $4.80 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Coheed and Cambria Guns of Summer 7" Vinyl LP Picture Disc US $29.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
Coheed And Cambria-In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth:3 Cd US $12.50 [0 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA:Mountains:&:T-shirt NEW:SMALL ONLY US $26.40 Buy It Now 10h 7m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Vol. 2 [Deluxe Ed Bonus DVD] US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 10m
IN AVIATE - 1985 - CD Coheed And Cambria Circa Suvive Minus The Bear / Rise '08 US $14.45 Buy It Now 17h 36m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - THE AFTERMAN: DESCENSION - NEW CD US $19.46 Buy It Now 18h 29m
Coheed And Cambria- Second Stage Turbine - EVR114CD US $19.01 Buy It Now 19h 12m
Coheed and cambria live At La Zona rosa US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Afterman: Descension by Coheed and Cambria *New CD* US $9.88 Buy It Now 23h 45m
Coheed and Cambria Live at La Zona Rosa 2004 RARE 6 TRX Limited promo CD NEW US $25.00 [0 bids]
Coheed And Cambria ?- In Keeping Secrets Grey Swirl Vinyl US $100.00 [0 bids]
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol.1 - 24HR POST US $9.47 Buy It Now 1 day
Coheed And Cambria The Afterman: Ascension Big Beige Demos LP SEALED CLEAR US $24.99 [0 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - Neverender, 6 TRK HOT TOPIC LIMITED EDITION CD, SEALED US $26.00 [12 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - YEAR OF THE BLACK RAINBOW [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $24.97 Buy It Now 1 day
COHEED AND CAMBRIA year of the black rainbow bonus trks CD +DVD +BOOK DELUXE BOX US $109.99 [0 bids]
Coheed and Cambria In Keeping Secrets Grey Marble Double Vinyl Sold Out OOP NEW US $51.00 [2 bids]
Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension - CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 by Coheed and Cambria (CD, Oct-2003,... US $4.99 [0 bids]
Prize Fighter Inferno Half Measures RSD Glow in the Dark 10" Coheed and Cambria US $29.95 [0 bids]
# COHEED AND CAMBRIA IN KEEPING SECRETS CD near mint! US $4.57 Buy It Now 1 day
Bear Vs Shark "Terrorhawk" LP OOP Coheed and Cambria Thrice Circa Survive US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BRONX / FALSE ALARM 7" coheed and cambria thrice deftones the used brand new US $10.00 [0 bids]
Circa Survive Blue Sky Noise Limited 2xLP /1000 Coheed And Cambria Thrice Saosin US $174.99 Buy It Now 1 day
2x Coheed and Cambria 45 rpm Single Welcome Home, The Running Free US $20.00 [0 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV CD 2005 Equal Vision Records US $4.00 [0 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA 2004 Zona Rosa w/ RARE LIVE 6 TRX LIMITED PROMO CD MINT US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
No World for Tommorrow by Coheed and Cambria US $0.99 [0 bids]
In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 [Digipak] by Coheed and Cambria (CD,... US $6.00 [0 bids]
"Coheed And Cambria Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: CD" US $6.00 [0 bids]
The Afterman: Descension [Digipak] by Coheed and Cambria (CD, 2013) Like New. US $6.00 [0 bids]
Coheed and Cambria-The Afterman: Descension CD NEW US $25.16 Buy It Now 2 days
1 CENT CD Sale ! Coheed And Cambria ~ In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 WOW US $5.00 [12 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - THE AFTERMAN: ASCENSION - NEW CD US $15.51 Buy It Now 2 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA "GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV" Vol.1 2005 CD New Sealed US $7.95 [0 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA (CD) "GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV-VOL 1 2005 BMG W/SLEEVE US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
No World for Tomorrow [PA] by COHEED and CAMBRIA 2007 Columbia MINT US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Year of the Black Rainbow by Coheed and Cambria (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA)) US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - THE AFTERMAN: DESCENSION, ORG 2013 EU vinyl LP + CD, NEW! US $35.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Coheed and Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow Deluxe edition CD/DVD US $10.00 [0 bids]
COHEED and CAMBRIA Afterman DEMOS ONLY 2500MADE VINYL LP Record Store Day SEALD US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV CD 2005 CK 93989 US $5.39 Buy It Now 3 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV CD 2005 CK 93989 ROCK US $5.22 Buy It Now 3 days
Coheed And Cambria The Suffering 7" Single Red Vinyl Record LTD US $29.99 [0 bids]
COHEED and CAMBRIA Afterman: Ascension Sealed 12" Vinyl Record w/ FULL CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Coheed and Cambria, The Second Stage Turbine Blade Audio CD US $7.49 Buy It Now 3 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth 3 DOUBLE LP 12 Track Doubl US $40.43 Buy It Now 3 days
Coheed and Cambria xl shirt evanesence nightwish US $8.00 Buy It Now 3 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV w/ BONUS LIVE TRK JAPAN CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Coheed and Cambria Welcome Home 7" single Vinyl Picture Sleeve RARE US $18.00 [0 bids]
Coheed And Cambria Neverender DVD Region 1, NTSC US $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Bear Vs Shark "Terrorhawk" LP OOP /250 Coheed and Cambria Thrice Circa Survive US $69.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Coheed And Cambria: Embroidered Logo Patch Fully Lined Cadet Cap - New With Tag US $16.85 Buy It Now 4 days
Coheed and Cambria The Running Free Promo 7 US $19.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Coheed And Cambria Authentic Signed Limited Vinyl Record No World For Tomorrow US $619.00 [0 bids]
Coheed and Cambria In Keeping Secrets IKSSE3 2x LP Grey Swirl Vinyl Sealed OOP US $49.99 [0 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA Iro-Bot 7" GREEN VINYL rare oop UNPLAYED US $39.99 Buy It Now 5 days
New Coheed and Cambria In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 2 X 12" US $9.99 [1 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA 35X25" MOSAIC WALL POSTER US $19.25 Buy It Now 5 days
Coheed and cambria logo new and sticker black cut tee t-shirt US $17.99 Buy It Now 5 days
STRING QUARTET TRIBUTE TO COHEED AND CAMBRIA IN KEEPING SECRET - NEW CD US $17.84 Buy It Now 5 days
Coheed and Cambria-In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 CD Import Good US $22.25 Buy It Now 5 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA**IN KEEPING SECRETS OF...(180 G/GF/RM)**2 VINYL SET US $30.95 Buy It Now 5 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA 2007 7" still sealed promo 45 "The Running Free" (Columbia) US $6.95 [0 bids]
LP COHEED AND CAMBRIA The Afterman Decension PICTURE DISC NEW MINT SEALED US $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - AFTERMAN DESCENSION [BONUS TRACK] - NEW CD US $38.03 Buy It Now 5 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA The Afterman Ascension LIMITED VINYL LP + FULL CD US $40.11 Buy It Now 6 days
Coheed And Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 Vinyl Set Grey Swirl US $74.99 [0 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA CD THE AFTERMAN: DESCENSION LIMITED BEST BUY EDITION!! US $27.42 Buy It Now 6 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA: LIVE AT THE STARLAND BALLROOM US $7.99 [0 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA:Mountains:&:T-shirt NEW:XLARGE ONLY US $26.40 Buy It Now 6 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA "The Afterman: Ascension" LP 2012 Hundred Handed (Vinyl) US $24.95 Buy It Now 6 days
THE FALL OF TROY Phantom on Horizon VINYL LP circa survive.coheed and cambria US $39.95 Buy It Now 6 days
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1 (CD, 2005) Ex Cond. US $7.53 Buy It Now 6 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA Welcome Home CD 2 Track Single Version Promo With Info Sticke US $8.41 Buy It Now 6 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA : Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1 (MUSIC CD) NEW! US $6.00 Buy It Now 6 days
@ CD Coheed And Cambria - No World For Tomorrow / SONY BMG 2007 US $9.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Coheed & And Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension (NEW CD) US $14.03 Buy It Now 7 days
Coheed and Cambria : Good Apollo, Im Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for T US $10.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Coheed And Cambria: Band Logo Tri Fold Chain Wallet With Coin Pocket - New US $19.26 Buy It Now 7 days
Coheed & And Cambria - The Afterman: Descension (NEW CD) US $14.83 Buy It Now 7 days
Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman Descension (Collectors Edition Picture LP) US $23.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Coheed And Cambria - The Suffering Prom0 CD Single (CD) US $8.01 Buy It Now 7 days
COHEED AND CAMBRIA THE AFTERMAN DESCENSION TURQUOISE vinyl SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 8 days

More places to buy COHEED AND CAMBRIA music online Buy COHEED AND CAMBRIA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for COHEED AND CAMBRIA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

COHEED AND CAMBRIA Year of the Black Rainbow ratings distribution

COHEED AND CAMBRIA Year of the Black Rainbow reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Year Of The Black Rainbow' - Coheed & Cambria (5/10)

Having bought this on the day it came out a few days ago, suffice to say I was pretty excited about this record coming out. Coheed & Cambria has said that this would be the final record in their multi-album concept piece, and be a prequel of sorts to the other albums. Now I would finally be able to listen to all five chapters in a row and still not have the slightest clue what the storyline is about!

In all seriousness however, my first listen left me in a very bad mood. While I was expecting something that was a natural progression from their last record 'No World For Tommorow' which is arguably their best, I instead get an album that has some of the most horrible factors Coheed has ever possessed, with their worst production ever to boot. The album before this sounded crystal clear; you could hear every instrument and detail in the mix, and the mixing sounded very three-dimensional. This sounds like listening to a typical Coheed & Cambria mix, except through an AM radio station or something. While I was never a big fan of the guy who produced Tool to begin with, this is much more horrible then anything I've ever heard him produce? It's almost like he was trying to sabotage what is otherwise one of the leading bands in modern prog.

To put it simply, after I first listened to 'Black Rainbow,' I was so dissapointed that I went as far as calling it the 2010 equivalent to Muse's 2009 disaster 'The Resistance.' And we all know how bad THAT was.

Onto the music and songwriting itself? It's a lot harder to appreciate when it sounds like the band is playing in a big seashell, but a lot of the songwriting itself is pretty solid. The melodies are solid, and some of the songs rank up there as being some of Coheed's best. A few songs however, really kill the album and its flow. The most obvious and pronounced of these, is the nightmare entitled 'Guns Of Summer.'

It's almost like Claudio Sanchez suddenly decided he wanted to be a noise-electronica artist and make a song that has now become the standard concept of 'being horrible' in the eyes of both myself and another friend who was excited to get the album, and ended up having virtually the same opinion as me.

This is a grower however. As you may have noticed, I gave this album three stars, which shows that it's not absolutely horrible. If I had been forced to rate this after my first listen, I would have given it a low two star rating, and filled this review even fuller of horrible things. Quite a few of the songs are really good, and while some minor edits could have taken place (IE: taking out 'Guns Of Summer' and putting it on a Japanese vinyl limited special edition where it belongs) it's really not that bad of an album.

While the songwriting is pretty good and some songs like the singles 'Here We Are Juggernaut,' and 'Broken,' the driving ballads 'Far' and 'Pearl Of The Stars,' and some other catchy rock songs have a lot of credibility to them besides the horrible production, 'Year Of The Black Rainbow' stands as certainly being the band's low point, even if Claudio says it's the 'best thing they have done so far.' Decent stuff for the most part, but they could have done so much better.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#278204) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010

Review by Neu!mann
2 stars So far, all the written opinions of this year 2010 album have been limited to more or less glowing fan accolades. As an open-minded newcomer to the soundworld of Coheed and Cambria, I would be interested in reading more of the (sadly, rating only) one- and two-star reviews. Clearly, a contrary opinion from a more detached critical perspective is needed.

The immediate attraction here was exposure to a new group (new to me, at least), indirectly endorsed by Steve Wilson of PORCUPINE TREE. The two bands are currently touring together, but after hearing their latest-to-date album I would have to say these guys sound strictly like a supporting act: hence my scrupulous two-star, fans-only assessment.

The music itself is relentlessly commercial, with a boilerplate metallic edge apparently tailored to fit an audience demographic (instead of rising naturally from anything like an original style, in other words). At their best, the quartet resembles a mainstream reduction of THE MARS VOLTA, minus that group's uncompromising creativity and weirdness.

The lead vocals, by Claudio Sanchez, are in particular a trial, full of calculated heavy metal stridency and enough breathless, over-emotional posturing to make even a microphone ham like NEIL MORSE blush with embarrassment. The album's brief, instrumental opener ("One") raised my hopes for something unique, only to dash them when the singing started. The rest of the album follows the same pattern, in the end being entirely too song- oriented, but without a memorable hook within earshot.

The back-story behind the music is also, at least on this album, completely inscrutable (a synopsis of the companion sci-fi novel, likewise written by Sanchez and included in a separate box set, hardly clarifies the narrative). And as for their claim of being (quoting their bio here at Prog Archives) "the first and only concept band"...well, sorry boys, but CHRISTIAN VANDER and MAGMA beat you to that goal by a good thirty years!

This might not have been the best introduction to Coheed and Cambria. But on the other hand, there's nothing in any other review here to suggest otherwise. Maybe a deeper exploration into their back catalogue is necessary; stay tuned?

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#290360) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Review by snobb
2 stars Have you ever heard about The Mars Volta? Have you ever listen to their music? Did you find it's interesting in places but too chaotic, complex, psychedelic, noisy, vocals are not what you can accept, etc.?

Great news for you! There are the sweet simplified TMV version - Coheed & Cambria! They can play some simple and accessible scratchy guitars, they have not very pleasant, but at least "more normal" vocals, they have so nice and pretty melodies, and - they are sooo accessible!

From now you can be cool without destroying of your minds and nerve system: the good decisions are always near you! Ok, sound is flat, songs sound more as parodies, than real ones, musicianship level is similar to your college band's. And what? Who told only complex and professional music could be named as prog?

I am too old-fashioned, so I hear too many funny things in C & C music, kind of street rebels with make up, playing Kiss-met-Green Day,etc. Anyway, don't think they have any relations to classic prog rock. Possibly they are "prog for the simple people" related. Why not - we have Kate Bush version adapted to that category (Tori Amos).

Whenever I am not a fan and no expert in such new-fashioned genres, the only thing I can tell to classic prog fans: avoid this album, no relation with classic prog at all!

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#296353) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 27, 2010

2 stars When I first listened to this album back when it came out, I kinda glossed over it, seeing it as just another album in the release schedule and throwing it in the back of my music library. Having seen it there for all these years I decided to give it a couple of listens to actually get my actual opi ... (read more)

Report this review (#918948) | Posted by iamathousandapples | Monday, February 25, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars In order for bands to keep being interesting, they need change once in a while. Now Coheed have changed quite a bit in their 11 years of activity. From changes in line ups, to slight sound differences now and then, their fan base, and the music world have acclaimed them. Now we all expected ... (read more)

Report this review (#479956) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Sunday, July 10, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars "Year of the Black Rainbow" is yet another leg of Coheed and Cambria's progressive alternative metal journey and, like the previous five releases, this album is not easy to categorize. One thing is for sure though: the emo and power pop elements are all but gone, the metal influence seeming to hav ... (read more)

Report this review (#323504) | Posted by Time Signature | Wednesday, November 17, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I tried to be as fair as I could when reviewing this album. Coheed and Cambria have been my favourite band for a while, and being impartial was not going to be easy. In terms of pure musicianship and lyrical concept, this album would have easily scored a 5 from me, but I had to take it all int ... (read more)

Report this review (#284807) | Posted by Laurelles | Friday, June 04, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars In terms of songwriting and 'making a catchy song' this is where ya go to, really taking the mature side of things with this album there is also a little less prog than the last two albums and slightly more pop but it doesnt matter when the songs are this good , it is the prequal to the infamous ... (read more)

Report this review (#282545) | Posted by FarBeyondProg | Tuesday, May 18, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Coheed returns with the prequel to their Amory Wars concept angle and it's a step-up from 2007's No World For Tomorrow. Coheed really reasserts their unique style on this album after opting for a more neo-classic rock approach a few years ago. This is a positive. However, their approach is ... (read more)

Report this review (#280750) | Posted by SilverEclipse | Thursday, May 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Now this is the first album released by Coheed since I have become a fan, so I was very pumped up to see this album come out! However, I will admit that I was a little disappointed at first. Coheed did seem to lose a little of their progginess in this album. I thought Chris Pennie would have added a ... (read more)

Report this review (#280509) | Posted by garla1lh | Tuesday, May 04, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars `Year of the Black Rainbow,' is a fine album indeed, maybe a little different than some may have been expecting but of undeniably high quality, in terms of superb songwriting, outstanding musicianship and a production job that feels almost like an instrument unto itself. I can imagine that the ba ... (read more)

Report this review (#278832) | Posted by Gentlegiantprog | Wednesday, April 21, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Ok, I bought this with some trepidation, since I wasn't the biggest fan of their previous outing, No World for Tomorrow. I was pleasantly surprised. This is easily one of Coheed's best albums. It's obvious they really focused on songwriting this time around. The radio ready tracks alone (the ... (read more)

Report this review (#278248) | Posted by mepluszero | Friday, April 16, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars You've got to hand it to Coheed and Cambria for being the first "concept band" with all their albums (and associated comics) devoted to this one Sci-fi story. I can't even really begin to understand the details of the story, but that doesn't matter, the songs rock! In some ways Coheed ... (read more)

Report this review (#278066) | Posted by akajazzman | Thursday, April 15, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of COHEED AND CAMBRIA "Year of the Black Rainbow"