UT

Buy NEW TROLLS Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Studio (3:09)
2. Xxii Strada (1:51)
3. I Cavalieri Del Lago dell'Ontario (5:02)
4. Storia Di Una Foglia (2:57)
5. Nato Adesso (7:53)
6. C'e' Troppa Guerra (9:53)
7. Paolo E Francesca (6:06)
8. Chi Mi Puo' Capire (4:35)

Search NEW TROLLS UT lyrics

- Maurizio Salvi / piano, organ, synthesizer
- Vittorio De Scalzi / guitar

FONIT CETRA CDLP 430
Warner Fonit 8573 82052-2

and to andrea for the last updates

NEW TROLLS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NEW TROLLS UT Music

Searching for a LandSearching for a Land
Btf 2009
UtUt
Btf 2009
Concerto GrossoConcerto Grosso
Warner Italy 1999
The Seven Seasons (Concerto Grosso 3)The Seven Seasons (Concerto Grosso 3)
Edel Europe 2007
PID 2008
Audio CD$30.00 (used)
Il Mito Tr3 CD+DvdIl Mito Tr3 CD+Dvd
Imports 2010
IBIS /NEW TROLLS - IBIS 1975 RARE ORIGINAL LP ITALIAN PROG PSYCH US $170.00 Buy It Now 36m 9s
NEW TROLLS-REVIVAL-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 3h
NEW TROLLS Japan CD with OBI, ALDEBRAN +2 US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 40m
NEW TROLLS CETRA ITALY PROG PSYCH 180 G LP REISSUE AKARMA BTF US $34.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
NEW TROLLS - CONCERTO GROSSO - ITALY - 1971 - CETRA LPX 8 - EXCELLENT US $79.99 [0 bids]
NEW TROLLS live Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $33.00 Buy It Now 6h 31m
NEW TROLLS CONCERTO GROSSO PER I CD MINI LP OBI US $15.95 Buy It Now 9h 57m
New Trolls CD Ut on Fonitcetra label not Japan no OBI US $4.99 [0 bids]
NEW TROLLS "NM WAX" UT 1979 Japan Press LP N888 US $79.99 Buy It Now 11h
NEW TROLLS Concerto Grosso N.2 1976 Japan Press OBI LP F2033 US $379.99 Buy It Now 11h
New Trolls UT Italian Prog Rare Original Italian Press US $45.00 [9 bids]
45RPM New Trolls Che Idea 0903EL US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 13m
NEW TROLLS- Live NT (Ibis, Johnny Dei, Tritons, Nova, Nuova Idea) US $17.99 Buy It Now 13h 43m
New Trolls- tempi dispari (Ibis, Johnny Dei, Tritons, Nova, Nuova Idea) US $17.99 Buy It Now 13h 45m
New Trolls ?- S/T CD..Italian prog..singles '67-'70..Fonit Cetra US $12.99 Buy It Now 14h 7m
New Trolls - NT Atomic System CD..Si Wan..ltd Triple Foldout Cover digipak..OOP US $64.99 Buy It Now 14h 8m
NEW TROLLS - SENZA ORARIO SENZA B / NEW TROLLS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $11.97 Buy It Now 20h 8m
NEW TROLLS - I GRANDI SUCCESSI: NEW TROLLS NEW CD US $24.56 Buy It Now 20h 18m
NEW TROLLS - CONCERTO GROSSO NEW CD US $22.34 Buy It Now 20h 48m
SANREMO 69 - Orig LP SERGIO ENDRIGO NEW TROLLS ALAN JACK CIVILIZATION PSYCH NM- US $66.00 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW TROLLS-CONCERTO GROS~-JAPAN ITALIAN PROG +OBI vvv US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW TROLLS-"CONCERTP GROSO" 3 TEMPO CADENZA-ANDANTE CON MOTO-JAPAN ISSUE 7" US $74.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW TROLLS-L.I.V.E.N.T.-JAPAN ISSUE ITALIAN PROG +OBI US $52.99 Buy It Now 1 day
New Trolls FS Japan Promo WL Viny LP w Press Release US $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
New Trolls Atomic system VINYL LP Japan Obi N\Mint US $93.00 Buy It Now 1 day
New Trolls FS VINYL LP Japan Obi N\Mint US $63.00 Buy It Now 1 day
New Trolls UT VINYL LP Japan Obi N\Mint US $83.00 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW TROLLS-CONCERTO CROSSO N 2-JAPAN ISSUE +OBI US $41.99 Buy It Now 1 day
New Trolls - Il Mito Tr3 Cd+Dvd [CD New] US $29.26 Buy It Now 1 day
New Trolls - 2Lp In 1Cd: Senza Orario Senza B/New Trolls CD US $11.40 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW TROLLS OBI For MINI LP CD JAPAN New US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW TROLLS JAPAN OBI UT US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
New Trolls-La Leggenda - Concerto Grosso N 3 [CD New] US $20.36 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW TROLLS davanti agli occhi miei 45" italian psych - prog - rock US $7.90 Buy It Now 2 days
RDM Contamination 1975 Italian prog German lp PFM Le Orme New Trolls Goblin WOW! US $69.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LA LEGGENDA NEW TROLLS LUIS BACALOV-CONCERTO GROSSO N3-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Gi50 US $38.50 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW TROLLS Searching For A Land ITALY PROG 2LP'S RARE US $75.00 Buy It Now 3 days
New Trolls-Tempi Disperi Italian prog psych Japanese SHM-CD Mini lp US $34.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW TROLLS Atomic System Japan CD OBI '88 1st press K32Y-2160 US $12.00 [3 bids]
NEW TROLLS Concerto Grosso Per I & II [2 CD] (Sealed) US $21.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW TROLLS ATOMIC SYSTEM 1988 JAPAN CD OBI 3200yen K32Y 1ST PRESS US $99.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW TROLLS -LA LEGGENDA - CONCERTO GROSSO N 3 (IMPORT) NEW CD US $31.21 Buy It Now 3 days
Latte e miele- aquile e scoiattoli +3 (Shm-CD) (Mini Lp) La Leggenda New Trolls) US $35.99 Buy It Now 3 days
New Trolls - Concerto Grosso No.1, 2 (2CD) *SEALED* $2.99 S&H US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW TROLLS AMERICA O.K. / JAPAN WITH OBI US $59.99 Buy It Now 4 days
NEW TROLLS-TEMPI DISPARI-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 4 days
New Trolls-Concerto Grosso 1 Italian prog cd US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
NEW TROLLS - Concerto Grossi Per I (reissue) - gatefold LP US $36.67 Buy It Now 4 days
New Trolls - Singles JAPAN MINI LP BOX SET prog Italy US $99.99 [0 bids]
NEW TROLLS: Senza Orario Senza Bandiera LP (Italy, re, sl cw) Rock US $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
NEW TROLLS "tempi dispari" OOP CD Top 70's Italian melodic prog psych US $8.99 [0 bids]
2 LP New Trolls - Searching for a land, Centra AUDIOPHILE PRESSING Made in Italy US $29.99 [0 bids]
New Trolls - Aldebaran E Altre Emozioni US $2.00 [0 bids]
NEW TROLLS - UT - 1972 - CD - REMASTERED - LIKE NEW US $7.99 [0 bids]
NEW TROLLS - Concerto Grosso Per 1. 2 CD NEW $2.99 S/H US $18.98 Buy It Now 5 days
ANNA OXA - LIVE CON I NEW TROLLS - NEW CD BOXSET US $10.55 Buy It Now 5 days
Concerto Grosso N. 2 New Trolls Japan Press W/Obi & Inserts EX US $36.99 Buy It Now 5 days
PROMO WHITE LABEL NEW TROLLS JAPAN OBI SEARCHING FOR A US $149.99 Buy It Now 6 days
NEW TROLLS L.I.V.E.N.T. PROGRESSIVE JAPAN US $24.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Italian Rock Sampler Japan Promo only CD Sealed P.F.M. Formula 3 New Trolls US $99.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Japan Promo only Italian Rock Vinyl LP New Trolls Ricordi I Krel PFM Hunka Munka US $119.99 Buy It Now 6 days
NEW TROLLS**CONCERTO GROSSO PER I**CD US $18.95 Buy It Now 6 days
SERGIO ENDRIGO IVANA BORGIA NEW TROLLS CLAUDIO VILLA SAN REMO 1969 ARGENTINA LP US $39.10 Buy It Now 6 days
New Trolls: 3 Promo CDep Sleeve only [Japan Mini-LP no cd pfm Q US $28.50 Buy It Now 7 days
Oxa Anna - Live Con I New Trolls CD US $18.56 Buy It Now 7 days
NEW TROLLS - TEMPI DISPARIT G/F PROG ROCK LP US $25.00 Buy It Now 7 days
NEW TROLLS - ATOMIC SYSTEM / Japan LP / OBI / 1973 / Record / Rare US $47.99 Buy It Now 7 days
NEW TROLLS - CONCERTO GROSSO N.2 / Japan LP / OBI / 1976 / Gatefold / Rare US $36.99 Buy It Now 7 days
NEW TROLLS Searching For A Land 2xLP/1972 Italian Prog US $52.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Concerto Grosso 3: The Seven Seasons by New Trolls/Luis Enriquez Bacalov (CD,... US $17.47 Buy It Now 7 days
New Trolls- Live (SHM-CD) mini lp (2011) (Ibis, Nico, Gianni, Frank, Maurizio) US $36.99 Buy It Now 7 days
NEW TROLLS senza orario senza bandiera PROG ITALY BTF AKARMA 180g limited 300 ! US $39.99 Buy It Now 7 days
NEW TROLLS SEARCHING FOR A LAND PROG ITALY BTF AKARMA 180g 2LP SET LIMITED 300 ! US $49.99 Buy It Now 8 days
NEW TROLLS Japan Original CD with OBI, CONCERTO GROSSO PER 1 K32Y-2956 US $59.99 Buy It Now 8 days
New Trolls - Night on the Bare Mountain US $59.99 Buy It Now 8 days
JUKE BOX PROMO GEPY & GEPY blu NEW TROLLS solamente tu US $35.99 Buy It Now 8 days
JAPAN PROMO ONLY LP INCLD NEW TROLLS UNA STORIA GIANNI NAZZARO MARISA SA SANNIA US $59.99 Buy It Now 8 days
2lp in 1cd: Senza Orario Senza B/new Trolls - New Trolls New & Sealed CD-JEWEL C US $14.29 Buy It Now 8 days
NEW TROLLS-ATOMIC SYSTEM-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Fabrizio De Andre - Fabrizio De Andre E New Trolls-Il Conc [Vinyl New] US $39.99 Buy It Now 8 days
NEW TROLLS: Atomic System LP (South Korea, 90s reissue, nearly new!) rare Rock US $60.00 Buy It Now 8 days
NEW TROLLS-LIVE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 8 days
NEW TROLLS CONCERTO GROSSO PER I / WITH OBI ITALIAN PROG US $69.99 Buy It Now 8 days
NEW TROLLS-UT JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI PFM Banco Area Pink Floyd EL US $39.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS-FS JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI Promo White Label PFM Banco Osanna Area US $49.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS-Atomic System JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI Special Sleeve PFM Banco Area US $59.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS-America O.K JAPAN 1st.Press Promo White Label w/OBI PFM Banco Asia US $49.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS - 67-85 - NEW CD BOXSET US $13.43 Buy It Now 9 days
New Trolls - Il Mito Tr3 Cd+Dvd CD US $30.15 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS-4 TITLE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD SET ACi66 US $145.50 Buy It Now 9 days
New Trolls - Concerto Grosso Per 1&2 KOREA 2CD SET *SEALED* US $17.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS**COLLECTION: NEW TROLLS**CD US $8.95 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS SEARCHING FOR A LAND 2 LP'S CETRA VM LP 138 US $54.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS SENZA ORARIO SENZA BANDIERA CETRA VMLP 130 LP FABRIZIO DE ANDRE US $49.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS JAPAN IMPORT LP OBI - FS US $19.95 Buy It Now 9 days
New Trolls Original albums 5 cd box set Italian prog US $37.99 Buy It Now 9 days
ita promo j.box NEW TROLLS Una storia SERGIO ENDRIGO US $34.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS-UT-EMPTY CD BOX FOR JAPAN MINI LP CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS - IL MITO TR3 CD+DVD (IMPORT) NEW CD US $34.92 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS - CONCERTO GROSSO PER 1, 2 [2 CD] $2.99 S&H US $18.99 Buy It Now 9 days

More places to buy NEW TROLLS music online Buy NEW TROLLS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NEW TROLLS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NEW TROLLS UT ratings distribution

NEW TROLLS UT reviews

Review by Proghead
4 stars It's no secret that this album, recorded and released at the end of 1972 polarized the band. It brought a temporary end to NEW TROLLS. The reason was guitarist Vittorio de Scalzi wanted to continue the eclectic route of NEW TROLLS and the other guitarist (and vocalist) Nico di Palo favored a hard rock approach. And because of that, the group split, with Nico di Palo forming a group that would become Ibis, and Vittorio de Scalzi, with some legal problems wanting to continue the NEW TROLLS name, had to continue on as N.T. ATOMIC SYSTEM. UT brought in keyboardist Maurizio Salvi, who would hop on to Ibis (in which he was responsible for the wonderful keyboard work to Sun Supreme).

Many people regard "UT" as the high point of the TROLLS career, others call it an uneven mess with some fantastic material and tedious material. I really hadn't notice that problem myself. "Studio" is a classically-influenced piece dominated by piano (there was a short part that almost resembled the opening part of GENESIS' "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", and that album wouldn't be seen until November 1974), while "XXII Strada" tends to be a more jazzy. I have felt that "I Cavalieri del Lago Dell'ontario" was one of the album's high points, starting off with a marching beat, but getting in to a wonderful prog groove. I never felt the next piece, "Storia di una Foglia" was particularly progressive, but it's still a nice folk/pop-influenced piece. "Nato Adesso" starts off as a wonderful piano-oriented ballad with the Eminent 310 model organ (which is capable of string synth sounds, which the best known use was on Jean Michel Jarre's "Oxygene", and the basis for the Solina and its American counterpart, the ARP String Ensemble). The song then gets in to an extended guitar solo. The complaint leveled here is the extended guitar solo, but I didn't find it any more a problem than the extended organ solos you find on Le ORME's "Collage" (which I find a particularly underrated album). "C'è Troppe Guerra" is far more heavy than I'm used to on a NEW TROLLS album, in fact it sounds more like heavy metal. I remember years ago someone comparing this to BLACK SABBATH, I can't necessarily disagree there, except even more aggressive (hard to believe). Some of the vocal passages seem unnecessarily somber and out of place to the mainly loud and aggressive passages. The last two cuts are pretty much give or take, pretty much in ballad form with "Paolo e Francesca" and "Chi Mi Può Capire", they aren't bad but not remarkable. But the great stuff is totally killer, and the stuff that many accuse of being tedious doesn't seem that tedious to me. But the music is well produced (something you can't always say of other great Italian prog acts like BIGLIETTO PER L'INFERNO, SEMIRAMIS, CERVELLO, MUSEO ROSENBACH, etc.).

I highly recommend this album. My rating: 4 1/2 stars

Send comments to Proghead (BETA) | Report this review (#19452) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 16, 2005

Review by slipperman
4 stars A highlight amongst the many other amazing Italian prog albums, 'Ut' is very nearly a perfect album. It begins with a classical piano piece ("Studio"), smoothly segueing into a hyper fusion piece ("XXII Strada") before landing upon the amazing "I Cavalieri Del Lago Dell'Ontario". Here you'll find all the hallmarks of 'Ut' within one piece: classical, jazz, hard rock, keyboard mayhem, heavy guitar lines, grandiosity, catchiness, lightness, darkness, melancholy, joyfulness. Guitarist Nico Di Palo emerges as one of the most capable progrock vocalists in his country, reminiscent of Il Balletto Di Bronzo's Gianni Leone and Italian cult figure Paul Chain. The vast array of moods and tones within "I Cavalieri..." makes this a quintessential piece of Italian prog, one you'd recommend to anyone wanting to hear the essence of the country's best in just one song. "Storia Di Una Foglia" brings things back down to earth. It's a soft, fragile track with a jazzrock backbone, reminding of the lightest moments on P.F.M.'s 'Storia Di Un Minuto'. But it's not a great piece and the album would've been stronger without it. Next is "Nato Adesso", which starts out like something from Genesis' 'Selling England By The Pound', building toward a several-minutes long guitar solo. This is an absolutely hypnotic section, as the guitar snakes and slithers it's way around the simplistic rhythm backing. Informed by key electric jazz guitarists, the solo is bright and eventful, loose and free-form for its duration. Next track, "C'e Troppa Guerra", is another highlight, and one of the heaviest tracks to come out of the Italian prog movement. Based on riff that drips rawness, akin to early Led Zeppelin meets early Black Sabbath, it branches off into several parts that give the song some lighter shading before crashing back into these utterly metallic riffs. Pure genius, and not one dip in excitement level throughout its 10 minutes. After this, things have to mellow, and they do with the dreamlike "Paolo E Francesca". Final track "Chi Mi Puo Capire" begins with some church organ, easing into melancholy drama and some beautiful vocal peaks. A great way to end this eventful listen. Clearly an album of multiple mood changes, all communicated effectively with expert playing and some expressive vocal work.

If you're already well acquainted with early P.F.M., Banco and Il Balletto Di Bronzo, but haven't yet made friends with New Trolls, this is the album with which to make your introduction.

Send comments to slipperman (BETA) | Report this review (#46537) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Review by andrea
5 stars This is definitively a good album (the last released before first New Trolls' split up), where the members of the band show their great musicianship wandering between progressive moods and hard rock.... After an album in English language ("Searching For A Land"), the band come back to Italian lyrics: the title of the album "Ut" is the first note of the Gregorian musical scale created by Guido d'Arezzo and the Italian poet Dante Alighieri is quoted on the album's jacket.

The instrumental opener "Studio" is a Johann Baptist Cramer's studio for piano elaborated by Maurizio Salvi and it leads to another short instrumental "XXII^ strada", more jazzy and "proggy": both seem to be efforts to blend classical and rock influences with good results.

Then comes "I cavalieri del lago dell'Ontario" (The Ontario Lake's Riders), my favourite track on this album, where drums and flute introduce a kind of military march while the vocals draw an epic and doomed Canadian landscape (don't forget that the bass player in this line up, Franck Laugelli, is from Toronto!). "The path is long and hard / I'm tired and I can't keep up / I lost my companions / When I'm back I will cry / The forest was hugging me / I couldn't think to return anymore / Red jackets blended to the blood / That Ontario River will bring away"... Then the music brings "echoes of war" before to come up to an end. "Everything ended so / Nobody never came back / And into the time will run / The march that accompanied us".

The short folkish "Storia di una foglia" is the only weak moment in this album while the following "Nato adesso", a piano ballad that melts in a long acid guitar solo, is another great track. "C'è troppa Guerra" is a long "hard rock" song with a remarkable "aggressive" electric guitar work, but in my opinion Nico Di Palo's voice seems here too fragile to match up with the music. "Paolo e Francesca" and the amazing "Chi mi può capire"(Who can understand me) are more delicate and fit better to "New Trolls style". "Nobody can understand. I will leave silently / Without a goal / And you will come with me"

In the whole this is a great album and it marks the end of New Trolls' progressive "Halcyon days".

Send comments to andrea (BETA) | Report this review (#71156) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 05, 2006

3 stars The band would break up after this record. The same old story where two talented leaders of a band are trying to have their own way until they tire of fighting all the time and a breakup occurs.You can really hear this in this record as it is quite uneven. From mellow and classical sounding to heavy, guitar oriented music. It is hard to tell it's the same band at times.

The album opens with 2 instrumentals. First up is "Studio" a classical, piano led song that opens and closes with the sound of a gong. "XXII Strada" features piano, drums, guitar and organ in this less than 2 minute song. "I Cavalieri Del Lago Dell'Ontario" opens and closes with marching drums but it's what is in between that is impressive. Great vocals. "Storia Di Una Foglia" is a really good song, one of my favourites on the album. The acoustic guitar and drums with the cool electric guitar melodies overtop. And again the beautiful Italian vocals. "Nato Adesso" opens with piano and vocals before the organ comes in and then 2 minutes in things get intense. Great sound ! Then one of the best parts of the record when the guitarist just plays and plays this beautiful, energetic solo for an insane amount of time. Amazing !

"C'e Troppa Guerra" is where things seem a little out of place.This song sounds just like a BLACK SABBATH tune I kid you not ! I love it, as the vocals sound processed in the beginning but then sound incredible as the band really rocks out. It gets pastoral 5 minutes in before it gets blown to hell 6 minutes in. A minute later we are treated to a crushing guitar solo. "Paolo E Francesca" opens with mournful guitar as reserved vocals join in. This song reminds of TRETTIOARIGA KRIGET and the guitarist can almost make his guitar talk. "Chi Mi Puo Capire" has a brief organ intro before this mellow song plays out.

For me this record has too many songs that are not memorable while the good ones are amazing indeed. 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#116428) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 26, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Fifth album from this veteran group that will be lasting unusually long and will produce shorter-lived offshoots. The New Trolls appeared in 67 as a psychedelic group releasing hard blues-rock singles (and later compiled into their second eponymous album), before releasing the first concept album of the peninsula (even if it is a bit confused and not really prog). From 71 onwards, NT will hit their stride with Concerto Grosso, Searching For A land and this album, usually considered their best, Ut; NT's rock is now full-blown progressive rock with lots of classical influences. Not really lucky with its incredibly bland outer artwork, slightly better with the innerfold, the group develops a surprisingly tough-sounding hard-progging symphonic music and there is again little doubt who's the leader of the group: singing lead guitarist Nico Di Palo, but he is well seconded by keyboardist Maurizio Salvi, which comes in handy since second guitarist Vittorio De Scalzi is quite discreet on this album - he would leave soon after this album's release. In some ways this is even more metallic than the huge sound of the De De Lind album

Opening on a gong-bang, the album is strongly heading into a deeply rich classical piano piece, which will be followed by another bong of the gang (you knew this was coming, didn't you ;-) and the piano leading into a short head-twisting instrumental (22nd Century) full-speed ahead, all sails deployed scorcher. Horseman Of Lake Ontario is quite a different ride starting smoothly, after a marching drum (and ending in one too) but soon the two guitars are adopting Led Sabbath stances (hinting at the flipside's epic), but the end of the track is dominated by constant key changes. The following Foglia is starting out on acoustic guitar and delicate vocals, maintaining throughout the song, and even though Di Palo pulls in some lovely electric leads, this could be the album's weakest point. Nato Adesso is more of a Focus-type of number with Di Palo sounding like Jan Akkerman in a lengthy jazzy solo while Salvi pulls in the Strings ARP synth lines behind it. Excellent.

The flipside starts out on the monstrous Troppa Guerra, with its Iommi-esque guitar riffs and often trading space with more pastoral moments; the many different parts mesh well into each other and can make the unaware a bit dizzy. This is one of Italy's prog more surprising song and the second highlight of the album. The next two tracks are a little too close to Santana's later syrupy ballads (including at times Di Palo sounding like Carlos) for my liking, even if in P&F the long guitar solo butters it up a bit too thickly on a thin slice of bread. The closing Capire (who'll understand me?) is filled with ARP strings layers and delves a bit too much aerial not to be taken as second-rate Santana

This album will be their last one before their temporary split in 73, leading to legal name problems and into different offshoots (Tritons, Ibis and NT Atomic System and other projects), before getting back together in 76, but they will fail to recapture their former brilliance. While this album has some particularly superb moments, the album has also its weaker points, even if the Santana-esque ending can be easily over-looked. Very much worth the discovery.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#123205) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 24, 2007

Review by Finnforest
2 stars My tortuous week of having to review New Trolls albums continues, as I mentioned these guys are not my favorite. However, UT is definitely easier for me to swallow than the previous two albums. Here I can hear a group asserting an identity beyond wishing themselves the Hendrix/Purple/Tull Appreciation Society. I hear Italian vocals, more thoughtful compositions, more nuanced playing, and less showing off. But while it is a slight improvement over the previous two it still falls short of something I can recommend. There are some nice moments here and there but again you have a rather forgettable set of songs which don't relate well to each other. Some of the shorter tracks are pointless filler. Many of the longer ones have their moments but fall short of real Italian prog grandeur to this listener. Frankly you can hear the lack of focus caused by the friction in the group with some tracks not complimenting others as mentioned, and other songs drifting on and off of auto-pilot. The notable exception is "C'e Troppa Guerra" which may be the heaviest song to come out of 1973, right up there with Sabbath chugness. This track has some big nasty riffs and Ozzyish vocals that will go for your jugular. Well assembled and well played, it rocks but still bores me, I'd rather play Sabbath if I need this kind of fix. "Paolo e Francesca" is so laid back it sounds a bit like a drunken practice session. I'm a bit tough on the Trolls I realize but I have to call em as I see em. I see their early albums as slightly progged-up hard rock of average quality, that's as simple as I can put it. I'll go up to 2½ stars for the improved "UT" over the previous but still can't get to 3. Most reviewers like them better than I so decide for yourself!

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#158202) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Review by DamoXt7942
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Moderator / Psych Team
4 stars Good album this UT is...then why can't I love this so much?

This as-everyone-says symphonic album is surely one of the most beautiful and popular albums of all New Trolls' ones. Needless to say, the stream of tracks from first (Studio) to second (Xxii Strada) is too dynamic and heavy to express, and the last song Chi Mi Puo' Capire is, I wanna say, the most sentimental song of all Italian progressive rock songs. I've listened to it again and again and yet can't help weepin'. Not kidding!

I wonder why I can't love this work so enough. This NT band would split up into two pieces after releasing the album. I suggest this band on just the time might have fragileness. But, regretfully, they couldn't have tension and potential before the split as Close-to-the-edge Yes. Conversely they might not have enough potential then...if they had more tension and motivation, this product would be the most progressive one all over the world...pardon me, in my opinion. Because I like this album.

This very appreciated work...with my above-mentioned reason, I can give ONLY 4 stars.

Send comments to DamoXt7942 (BETA) | Report this review (#196479) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars After having released such a disparate double album (half studio, half live) with a serious heavy sound, the band offers quite a symphonic piece of Italian music. The type that I like?

Wonderful keyboards (mainly piano) during the opener, the influence will be more jazzy for "XXII Starda". But this was a general influence within most of the prog giants from the early seventies in Italy. One more thing to add: the deep influence of ELP on this track.

Nothing really surprising that "Cavalieri Del Lago Dell'Ontario" opens on some martial rhythm (which are precursory of "The Battle Of Epping Forest" from whom you might know. Vocal are also very pleasant and the sustained beat is quite remarkable. So, the paternity of the great intro of this well known song is either the conception of "The New Trolls" or from "Ange" is their great song "La Dignité" featured on their debut also release din 1972.

The mood is very much linked to the ISP I love so much. But even during such a delicate and moving track as "Nato Adesso", the band will add some nice heavy and jazzy depths. Again, there is little abnormal here?(well maybe the heavy part). The guitar play sounds quite like some "Santana" ones as well. But, can they be blamed for this???

The heavy infrastructure developed during "C' È Troppa Guerra" combined with psychedelic parts is probably showing the different musical approach of the members which will lead to their split into two different entities. It is amazing to hear these two influences in one track. And a very one indeed. Almost Hendrix at times!

Needless to say that the wonderful soft ballad "Paolo e Francesca" is quite a pleasant tune: melodic as Italian prog can be (believe me), it offers a fine moment of relaxation. The guitar work sounds again like the great Carlos one. Did I say that I like it?

The closing and passionate "Chi Mi Può Capire" is definitely throwing this album into the four stars category. A sweet piece indeed which shows the dilemma of the band. Their best piece of work so far.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#250257) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009

Review by Kazuhiro
4 stars Especially, the activity of this New Trolls might be also important in the flow on which various musicians were acting as a band that supports the dawn of Prog Rock of Italy. Generally, the evaluations might be able to be found gathering in the album that they announced to the work in the 70's a lot.

Especially, the work known well among the fan and listeners might be an album that spent between 1971 and 1972 and was announced. The method of the music character concerning albums of men who announced at this time and the expression will give the impression that evolved very much with passage. The activity of Prog Rock of Italy at that time had details from which carrying everything before one the market and one main current were completed regardless of the comparison of each album. Consideration concerning the content of an individual album is different according to the purpose \ reality. However, details of a content of the album at this time that New Trolls announced and rapid evolution might be the points that should make a special mention.

"Concerto Grosso" that they announced in 1971 is originally produced because of the music of the movie. Classic part with consistency carried out with Part1 and Part 2 and part where a certain kind of baroque was accompanied. The part of a bold orchestration might have multiplied the spur by their music characters at this time.

The music character of "Concerto Grosso" gave indeed complete construction because there was details as the music for the movie shown by the above-mentioned description. Attention is attracted as a still .."Concerto Grosso".. masterpiece the item of Prog Rock of Italy. However, because the work of Luis Enriquez Bacalov was important as the concept for the album, "Concerto Grosso" might have had the impression that respect of competing by Bacalov is shown with the band. The element of the pastoral music character and the culture was one of the features of Euro Rock at this time for the dawn of Prog Rock of Italy. Each band used an original technique and it is likely to have gone in the part where a good music character of Italy of P.F.M and I Pooh in respect technical as represented was emphasized.

Following of part classic as flow derived from intense part and "Concerto Grosso" to "Searching For A Land" announced in 1972 continuing. In this flow, the band might be evidence that the desire concerning the creation appears enough very much. And, to agree with this flow, they do not neglect the pursuit of the music character. Flow that Frank Langelli joined Bass player. Or, the band that received Maurizio Salvi in the keyboard player might have acted on their music characters well. They replace the member as a result with the revolution of the music character further by centering on Vittorio De Scalzi that plays leader's role. However, the construction of the melody to always express after they debuted and the height of the perfection of the tune might have had the expression besides other bands with evolution. And, it will be able to be thought that this flow is surely connected with this "UT". Their expressions were complete as the flow that reached this "UT" at last as a work of their initial representative.

After it is formed to 1966, New Trolls is always offering the music of fine quality as well as other bands. It shifts to four person organization in 2nd album though the band was five person organization at the time of the debut. The activity of the band after this "UT" is announced leaps further with member's replacement. And, the member who is on the register in the band develops into "Nico,Gianni,Frank,Maurizio". The part where the history of Euro Rock indeed at that time is symbolized can be found if it thinks about the flow that shifts here to "Ibis".

It is one of the bands that this New Trolls is very important as the band that supports the market Prog Rock of Italy from the period first. It is likely to be always held in high esteem of course as a leading group in Italy as well as Banco, Osanna, and Le Orme. This time might be in the point that the song and the melody are completely constructed as a good point that characterized and Prog Rock of Italy had. Technical respect might be necessary of course partially of the expression. However, an important point will hit the pastoral song and melody for the expression that various bands , for example, this time have had. There was originality from which New Trolls was always carried out. However, the album to announce in the 70's will have to be paid to attention especially if the music character refined in the age is considered.

"Studio" is a part of the organ that produces the sound of the solemnity with the impact by China Gong. And, the flow of the melody of complete classic is perfect. Classic melody that piano and organ do. The tune develops here further.

"XXII Strada" is a tune mainly composed of six rhythms. The role of interlude might be played in the album. Piano sound in which completely aggressive melody is constructed. The performance of the band established by making good use of fast Passage is overwhelming. And, the listener is stimulated attended with a melody that is more aggressive the melody of the guitar. The band makes a complete dash feeling in union with the organ. The rhythm might also have the part that looks like the jazz waltz.

As for "I Cavalieri Del Lago Dell'Ontario", the keyboard and the guitar progress to the march drum coming in succession. Melody of song that produces transparent feeling. The part of the melody that becomes intense and the composition by the chorus might be splendid. There is exactly a flavor of the music character that they have. The line and the guitar of Bass that supports solo of the keyboard also contribute to the tune well.

"Storia Di Una Foglia" is a tune with the flavor of Folk Rock. The melody extremely gives the listener the relief. The part where an acoustic part was emphasized is pastoral. And, the obbligati flows with the guitar. There might be a good flow including the melody of the song.

"Nato Adesso" is a powerful ballade with complete expression of feelings. Part of song to get on beautiful piano melody. Progress of peculiar melody and Chord of Prog Rock of Italy. The introduction of the synthesizer is also splendid. When the rhythm joins, the tune heads for the top further. Especially, guitar Solo of about five minutes and ensemble of the band will invite the listener to the crucible of the excitement. The composition of the tune is perfect.

"C'e Troppa Guerra" might be a tune to emphasize the part of Rock in this album. Construction of Riff of guitar that has both intense part and peculiar part. Or, the composition used properly for the part of the voice with the anacatesthesia has originality. The tune becomes intenser and progresses. Making the sound in which psychedelic is recollected also has expanded the width of the tune.

In "Paolo E Francesca", the melody of a dry guitar is a feature. The ballade that contains love makes a good, transparent feeling. The band performed well has a good flavor. Especially, the part that duplicates the conversation by the guitar and flits in the speaker might be a good idea. The sound of the percussion instrument also contributes well for the tune.

"Chi Mi Puo Capire" is a grand tune to express the part of "Quietness" of the band and "Movement". Flow that power of expression of singing is slowly emphasized. Flow of melody of magnificent keyboard that gently wraps the song. A beautiful melody is good in the progress of Chord each other. The melody of good piano Solo and the song is extremely grand. The part of following the power of expression of the band and the music character might be exactly blocked in this tune and it appear. The composition of this album is calculated the overall and well.

It is an album that offered very high-quality music in the work group of New Trolls in the 70's.

Send comments to Kazuhiro (BETA) | Report this review (#291731) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 24, 2010

Review by GruvanDahlman
4 stars The first time I heard this album I honestly thought that "Ut" was quite a sorry excuse for an album. It seemed to disparate and fragmented to be enjoyable. But after a while I changed my mind, realising that what I at first glance percieved as messy in fact was the opposite. I found the golden thread and now I love this album. "Ut" is, I think, a heavy, hard rocking album with a few nods to Sabbath (Particularily true in the case of "C'e troppa guerra") as well as being clearly progressive. The music merges together to create the illusion of one, long work of art. The two songs "Nato Adesso" and "Paolo E Francesca" are my favourites, though the album works fantastically well as a whole. It's more about the album as a whole than it's parts. A truly enjoyable and amazing album.

Send comments to GruvanDahlman (BETA) | Report this review (#643047) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012

4 stars In my childhood I used to think of New Trolls as the "Italian BeeGees", cheerfully invading the airplay with their "saccarine" based "Quella carezza della sera". It was a shock for me listening, one tuesday night on my favourite heavy metal radio broadcast (music on request on that day of the ... (read more)

Report this review (#99377) | Posted by paolo.beenees | Friday, November 17, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Album released in 1972 "UT". The content exists together to hard rock a symphonic work, and lacks the settlement a little in total. However, the performance is advanced. Especially, the keyboard and the guitar are splendid. Work to which tune of various genres is thrown in. A graceful melody a ... (read more)

Report this review (#65951) | Posted by braindamage | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is a good work by New Trolls. The riffs and the music generally is not the best you can expect from a progressive band, but this is also an original and energic album. The songs are full of hard rock riffs and in the case of "I Cavalieri del Lago Ontario", with classical part by guitars a ... (read more)

Report this review (#19451) | Posted by dodaro | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NEW TROLLS "UT"