SEARCHING FOR A LAND

Buy NEW TROLLS Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Searching (4:45)
2. Percival (5:22)
3. In St. Peter's Day (5:00)
4. Once That I Prayed (4:00)
5. A Land To Live A Land To Die (8:25)
6. Giga (2:05)
7. To Edith (8:40)
8. Intro (7:20)
9. Bright Lights (6:45)
10. Muddy Madalein (2:25)
11. Lying Here (17:25)

- Frank Laugelli / Rhodes bass
- Maurizio Salvi / piano, organ, synthesizer
- Vittorio De Scalzi / guitar

WARNER FONIT 3984 27166-2

and to andrea for the last updates

NEW TROLLS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NEW TROLLS Searching For A Land Music

The Seven Seasons (Concerto Grosso 3)The Seven Seasons (Concerto Grosso 3)
Edel Europe 2007
Btf 2008
Atomic SystemAtomic System
PID 2008
Audio CD$30.00 (used)
NEW TROLLS - Concerto Grosso Per 1. 2 CD NEW $2.99 S/H US $18.98 Buy It Now 48m 2s
NEW TROLLS / SEARCHING FOR A LAND 1984 JAPAN LP w/ OBI US $79.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
NEW TROLLS Senza orario senza bandiera LP 1968 EX- prog beat folk US $29.90 [1 bids]
New Trolls : Concerto Grosso Per I (US Import) CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 57m
ANNA OXA - LIVE CON I NEW TROLLS - NEW CD BOXSET US $10.16 Buy It Now 10h
PROMO WHITE LABEL NEW TROLLS JAPAN OBI SEARCHING FOR A US $149.99 Buy It Now 17h 3m
NEW TROLLS L.I.V.E.N.T. PROGRESSIVE JAPAN US $24.99 Buy It Now 19h 22m
Italian Rock Sampler Japan Promo only CD Sealed P.F.M. Formula 3 New Trolls US $99.99 Buy It Now 23h 2m
Japan Promo only Italian Rock Vinyl LP New Trolls Ricordi I Krel PFM Hunka Munka US $119.99 Buy It Now 23h 57m
NEW TROLLS**CONCERTO GROSSO PER I**CD US $18.95 Buy It Now 1 day
New Trolls CD Ut on Fonitcetra label not Japan no OBI US $4.99 [0 bids]
Oxa Anna - Live Con I New Trolls CD US $18.56 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW TROLLS - CONCERTO GROSSO N.2 / Japan LP / OBI / 1976 / Gatefold / Rare US $36.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW TROLLS - ATOMIC SYSTEM / Japan LP / OBI / 1973 / Record / Rare US $47.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW TROLLS Searching For A Land 2xLP/1972 Italian Prog US $52.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ita promo j.box NEW TROLLS Il sole nascer FREE SHIPPING US $27.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Concerto Grosso N. 2 New Trolls Japan Press W/Obi & Inserts EX US $36.99 Buy It Now 2 days
New Trolls- Live (SHM-CD) mini lp (2011) (Ibis, Nico, Gianni, Frank, Maurizio) US $36.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW TROLLS senza orario senza bandiera PROG ITALY BTF AKARMA 180g limited 300 ! US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW TROLLS SEARCHING FOR A LAND PROG ITALY BTF AKARMA 180g 2LP SET LIMITED 300 ! US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW TROLLS Japan Original CD with OBI, CONCERTO GROSSO PER 1 K32Y-2956 US $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
New Trolls - Night on the Bare Mountain US $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
JAPAN PROMO ONLY LP INCLD NEW TROLLS UNA STORIA GIANNI NAZZARO MARISA SA SANNIA US $59.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW TROLLS-ATOMIC SYSTEM-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW TROLLS: Atomic System LP (South Korea, 90s reissue, nearly new!) rare Rock US $60.00 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW TROLLS-LIVE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW TROLLS CONCERTO GROSSO PER I / WITH OBI ITALIAN PROG US $69.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW TROLLS - 67-85 - NEW CD BOXSET US $13.29 Buy It Now 3 days
New Trolls - Il Mito Tr3 Cd+Dvd CD US $30.15 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW TROLLS-4 TITLE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD SET ACi66 US $145.50 Buy It Now 3 days
New Trolls - Concerto Grosso Per 1&2 KOREA 2CD SET *SEALED* US $17.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW TROLLS**COLLECTION: NEW TROLLS**CD US $8.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Quelli Come Noi by New Trolls (CD, US $20.79 Buy It Now 4 days
New Trolls Original albums 5 cd box set Italian prog US $37.99 Buy It Now 4 days
New Trolls- Tempi Dispari SHM-CD- japanese mini lp (Atomic System, Ibis) US $36.99 Buy It Now 4 days
New Trolls- atomic system (SHM-CD) (Mini Lp sleeve) (Ibis) US $34.99 Buy It Now 4 days
New Trolls - Aldebaran E Altre Emozioni US $2.00 [0 bids]
NEW TROLLS-UT-EMPTY CD BOX FOR JAPAN MINI LP CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 4 days
NEW TROLLS - IL MITO TR3 CD+DVD (IMPORT) NEW CD US $34.06 Buy It Now 4 days
NEW TROLLS - UT - 1972 - CD - REMASTERED - LIKE NEW US $7.99 [0 bids]
NEW TROLLS - CONCERTO GROSSO PER 1, 2 [2 CD] $2.99 S&H US $18.99 Buy It Now 4 days
NEW TROLLS-REVIVAL-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 4 days
NEW TROLLS JAPAN IMPORT LP OBI - FS US $19.95 Buy It Now 4 days
The New Trolls & Luis E Bacalov "Concerto Grosso" Psych Prog Pierre Cardin 45rpm US $8.05 [0 bids]
NEW TROLLS Senza Orario, Senza Bandiera LP/Italy Psych US $42.99 Buy It Now 5 days
ITALY JUKE BOX PROMO NEW TROLLS - GILBERT O SULLIVAN US $20.79 Buy It Now 5 days
ITALY JB PROMO NEW TROLLS QUELLI COME NOI - RANIERI TI US $20.79 Buy It Now 5 days
UNPLAYED CD LOT-New Trolls/Le Orme/Mandillo/Osanna & David Jackson-PROG-ITALY US $19.99 [0 bids]
NEW TROLLS - ORIGINAL ALBUM SERIES NEW CD US $36.95 Buy It Now 6 days
NEW TROLLS - NEW TROLLS 67 - 85 NEW CD US $21.79 Buy It Now 6 days
^ NEW TROLLS tour JAPAN MINI LP CD NEW US $59.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Original Album Series by New Trolls *New CD* US $25.97 Buy It Now 6 days
NEW TROLLS - CONCERTO GROSSO - ITALY - 1971 - CETRA LPX 8 - EXCELLENT US $79.99 [0 bids]
NEW TROLLS FS CD Italian Rock/Prog on Mellow Records US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
NEW TROLLS L.I.V.E.N.T. (LIVENT) CD Italian Prog Rock, live US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
New Trolls - 67-85 [CD New] US $16.27 Buy It Now 7 days
New Trolls - Original Album Series [CD New] US $28.89 Buy It Now 7 days
New Trolls Live [Vinyl] New Trolls US $34.99 Buy It Now 7 days
ITALY JUKE BOX PROMO NEW TROLLS Annalisa GIPO FARASSINO US $20.79 Buy It Now 7 days
New Trolls-Senza Orario Senza Bandiera Italian prog paych mini lp cd US $19.99 Buy It Now 7 days
New Trolls "Tempi Dispari" LP Printed in Korea US $39.99 Buy It Now 7 days
LA LEGGENDA NEW TROLLS LUIS BACALOV-CONCERTO GROSSO N3-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Gi50 US $38.50 Buy It Now 7 days
New Trolls - Senza Orario Senza Bandiera ITALY CD 1989 Fonit Cetra / ANALOGIC US $14.19 Buy It Now 7 days
New Trolls - Original Album Series Box CD US $36.18 Buy It Now 7 days
NEW TROLLS-NEW TROLLS 67 - 85 CD NEW US $19.28 Buy It Now 7 days
Tritons (Pre New Trolls) I Saw Her Standing There / Brown Sugar France 45 W/PS US $24.49 Buy It Now 8 days
New Trolls - I Grandi Successi New Edition [CD New] US $21.98 Buy It Now 8 days
New Trolls - New Trolls 67-85 +1B KOREA 2CD *SEALED* US $14.49 Buy It Now 8 days
New Trolls-Aldebaran-Near Mint Lp Vinyl Record-Warner Brothers-T 56589 US $17.71 [0 bids]
NEW TROLLS-TEMPI DISPARI-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Hi25 US $41.99 Buy It Now 9 days
TEST PRESS NEW TROLLS JAPAN UNPLAYED CONCERTO GROSSO PE US $249.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS - TEMPI DISPARI NEW CD US $35.88 Buy It Now 9 days
ANNA OXA "LIVE CON I NEW TROLLS" AZZURRO FAUSTO LEALI 2CD 1990 ITALO POP US $24.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS?/?Revival ?JAPAN SHM-CD Mini-LP w/OBI BELLE-111867 US $45.00 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS?/?UT ?JAPAN SHM-CD Mini-LP w/OBI ARC-8016 US $48.50 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS - CONCERTO GROSSO PER 1(Italy Rock) Sealed US $24.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW TROLLS - LEI MI DICEVA / IO CHE HO TE - RARE ITALIAN 7" PS (1969.) BEAT US $20.00 Buy It Now 9 days
New Trolls - Tempi Dispari [CD New] US $31.44 Buy It Now 10 days
New Trolls Profili Musicali RICORDI Fonit Cetra SEALED US $49.99 Buy It Now 10 days
NEW TROLLS?/?Atomic Systems ?JAPAN SHM-CD Mini-LP w/OBI BELLE-111864 US $42.50 Buy It Now 10 days
NEW TROLLS?/?Live ?JAPAN SHM-CD Mini-LP w/OBI BELLE-111866 US $42.50 Buy It Now 10 days
NEW TROLLS?/?Tempi Dispari ?JAPAN SHM-CD Mini-LP w/OBI BELLE-111865 US $45.00 Buy It Now 10 days
NEW TROLLS - SENZA ORARIO SENZA B/NEW TROLLS - NEW CD US $7.39 Buy It Now 10 days
NEW TROLLS / Tour JAPAN CD Mini-LP w/OBI ARC-7202 US $44.50 Buy It Now 10 days
NEW TROLLS Una Storia Il vento dolce dell estate Italian picture sleeve 45 US $99.99 Buy It Now 11 days
UNO - s/t Self Titled - LP 1974 - OSANNA, NEW TROLLS, GOBLIN, ITALIAN PROG US $32.25 Buy It Now 11 days
NEW TROLLS lp SAN REMO 1969 argentina ID# 57786 AIDA NOLA-CARMEN VILLIANI-IVANA US $20.00 Buy It Now 11 days
NEW TROLLS SENZA ORARIO SENZA BANDIERA CETRA VMLP 130 LP FABRIZIO DE ANDRE US $49.99 Buy It Now 11 days
NEW TROLLS SEARCHING FOR A LAND 2 LP'S CETRA VM LP 138 US $54.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Live Con I New Trolls - Anna Oxa New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $22.74 Buy It Now 12 days
New Trolls / UTáLP TOP COPYáSeven Seas GXF 2050 Japan Insert & obi Italy Prog US $79.99 Buy It Now 13 days
New Trolls Atomic System CD 1996 Vinyl Magic Label Issue Italy Prog Hard To Find US $29.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Creedence ?Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary / New Trolls - Davanti Agli 7" 1969 US $25.00 Buy It Now 13 days
Concerto Grosso Per I New Trolls LPáSeven Seas GXF 2043 Japan Obi Gatefold Prog US $59.99 Buy It Now 13 days
New Trolls / UT Top CopyáLP Italy Prog Seven Seas GXF 2050áJapan Press obi US $59.99 Buy It Now 13 days
OXA - LIVE CON I NEW TROLLS(Italy Rock), korea lp Rare US $24.99 Buy It Now 13 days
NEW TROLLS - UT(Italian Prog Rock), KOREA LP New US $32.99 Buy It Now 13 days
NICO, GIANNI, FRANK, MAURIZIO Canti D'innocenza LP/73 Italy/New Trolls/HARD ROCK US $42.99 Buy It Now 13 days
NEW TROLLS anche noi 7" b/w prima del concerto (t17342) deletion cut to pic slv US $8.45 Buy It Now 13 days
NEW TROLLS concerto grosso n.2 '81 japan org LP w/OBI italy prog luis enriques US $79.99 Buy It Now 13 days

More places to buy NEW TROLLS music online Buy NEW TROLLS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NEW TROLLS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NEW TROLLS Searching For A Land ratings distribution

NEW TROLLS Searching For A Land reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars This Italian progrock band has made a lot of albums, my favorite is this 2-LP (released on a 1-CD), what an exciting music! The tracks are very alternating: Bowie-like vocals in "Searching", warm twanging acoustic guitar in "Giga", splendid Mellotron waves in "In St. Peter's day", beautiful classical inspired pianoplay in "Once that I preayed" and raw and heavy rock with hints from Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple in "To Edith" (powerful Hammond and fiery electric guitar) and and "Lying here" (Ian Gillan-like vocals). Only few albums sounds so varied and captivating, this one deserve more attention!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#35900) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 09, 2005

Review by andrea
4 stars After the successful album with Luis Bacalov, "Concerto grosso per I New Trolls", in 1972 I New Trolls released "Searching for a land" with a renewed line up featuring Vittorio De Scalzi (guitars, flute, keyboards, vocals), Nico Di Palo (guitars, vocals), Gianni Belleno (drums, percussion), Frank Laugelli (bass) and Maurizio Salvi (organ, piano). For this album New Trolls deliberately drew their inspiration from foreign bands such Colosseum, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin or Jethro Tull although trying to keep an original touch while blending hard rock with classical influences. It's a double album and it's maybe too heterogeneous and not always convincing but it has some very good moments. It was released for the international market and completely sung in English and Italian-Canadian bass player Frank Laugelli, who replaced Giorgio D'Adamo in the line up, wrote most of the lyrics signing them as Rhodes.

The opener good "Searching" begins with a nice acoustic guitar pattern and the lyrics in my opinion capture the spirit of the whole album that sometimes seems to lack a definite musical direction... "Travelling, wish I knew where I was going / Every place now looks the same / Nothing new seems to come my way / All my life I've been searching for something... But I'm happy to be free and to be able to weep / And I'm happy to be me...".

The second track "Percival" is introduced by a nice acoustic guitar arpeggio and features a distant and filtered vocal part that I don't like at all. It's a song about time passing by, sometimes you grow up and finally you realize that along the years you never found what you were looking for and now that you're old you have even forgotten what your goal was... "Percival is my name / My kingdom is wide...". Good acoustic guitar solo!

"In St. Peter's Day" is a beautiful acoustic ballad with a peaceful, dreamy atmosphere. The lyrics have religious references and the guitar and keyboards parts here are very good... "All the tears of the world have now been cried / I don't want to hear the screamin' of the crowd... For three times I heard the day bird cry / For three times your love I have denied now / I hear the beating of the hammers crucifying the soul off all summers...".

"Once That I Prayed" is introduced by piano and vocals and is another good track with a strong classical influence. The lyrics and music evoke a feeling of uncertainty and the need for freedom, an absolute freedom that could lead even to solitude... "Goin' on my way I was trying to pray / Something may change into my life / Nothing to say, nowhere to stay / No hand to hold to keep me warm...".

The sound of the organ introduces the rarefied, dilated "A Land To Live, A Land To Die", an instrumental track featuring a great organ work and an ethereal, dreamy atmosphere. The pace is slow, almost bluesy in some passages, and you can dream of a new promised land where to find peace and rest.

"Giga" is just a short, nice acoustic guitar track that leads to the following "To Edith", another dilated, dreamy track with an excellent keyboard work that closes the first part of the album. The lyrics are taken from a poem by Bertrand Russell... "Through the long years I sought peace / I found ecstasy, I found anguish, I found madness, I found loneliness, I found the solitary pain that gnaws the heart / But peace I did not find / Now, old & near my end, I have known you / And, knowing you, I have found both ecstasy & peace / I know rest, after so many lonely years / I know what life & love may be / Now, if I sleep I shall sleep fulfilled...".

The second part of "Searching For A Land" was recorded live and I think that is less interesting, with more hard rock and less classical influences. "Intro" is a long instrumental track where the members of the band showcase their great musicianship while the following "Bright Lights" is an uninspired hard rock track and in my opinion the weakest on the whole album.

Next comes "Muddy Madalein", a hard, bluesy track with a flute solo in "Jethro Tull style". The lyrics tell about a man who, while walking in the street with his child, is puzzled by the meeting with the prostitute who was his "first shot".

The long final track "Lying Here" begins with classical reminiscences (Gregorian chant, flute and organ passages) that after six minutes melt into hard rock with clear references to Deep Purple and ample room for drums and electric guitar solos.

Well, on the whole "Searching For A Land" might not be a masterpiece but I think that it is worth listening to and could be an excellent addition to any prog collection.

Send comments to andrea (BETA) | Report this review (#78257) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 15, 2006

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.75 stars really!!!

After the impressive Concerto Grosso, TNT embarked on an ambitious project that would eventually become this album, a double vinyl with two distinct phases, the studio part mostly penned by guitarist De Scalzi, while the second part is recorded live and more the fruit of singer/guitarist Di Palo. Clearly the difference of style between the two main writers gave the album a schizophrenic feel. Sung in English with concept lyrics coming from newcomer Italo-Canadian Laugelli on bass, coming with a fold-out artwork and getting national promotion, the album was not as successful as hoped, due in no small parts to the afore-mentioned schizophrenia but also to its length as clearly TNT are a bit diluted at times.

Indeed the first disc is a rather uneven but generally endearing succession of tracks that have their own personality. Starting on a greet Searching (a superb and tense song that manages to catch our attention and rivet us to, our seat), the first disc is an uneven affair with a very odd and irritating Percival (the acoustic arpeggios are fine) where the muffled and filtered vocals can only ruffle your feathers wrong. Apparently the songs are based on a man's disillusions and his quest for uncharted territories, while not really doubting of its doomed fate. St Peter's Day is a religious-toned track that sounds like Bowie was at hand, but the track's folk rock really takes off with the "mellotron" (not sure it is one, but sounds a bit like it) layers. Once That I Prayed preyed a bit on classical composer with the piano intro, middle section and the outro, but overall the tracks is very enjoyable and its fragility is its main asset.

A Land To Live starts out like a Canterbury project, not least due to Salvi's fuzzed-out organ intro and the Wyatt-like singing before ceding in a long organ solo that Caravan's Sinclair would not disown. While Giga is mini track of acoustic guitars, the closing Edith is a pure delight, sharing the track's tension between the guitar lines and Salvi's synth and if the vocal do go back to the weird muffled Percival for a while, the track is one of the best from SFAL.

The second disc is a very different affair, (falsely) recorded live and showing the group's rougher and rawer's fašade, but also suffers from an irritating recording flaw with the public mixed (or overdubbed) in way too loud. While the Intro track is a bit of a showcase for the instruments to strut their stuff, Bright Lights shows little promise with its hard blues-rock and all soloing are relatively uninspired. The Muddy Madalein is a pure rip-off from Purple's Black Knight with an incrusted Tull/Focus flute. From the "live" part, only the lengthy Lying Here is really enjoyable, and after a lengthy (6-mins) organ solo, the track finally takes off in Colosseum fashion (can almost hear Farlowe's howls), but ultimately the extended guitar extravaganza is a bit repetitive.

With this album, TNT was clearly over-stretching their talents on this double affair, it became clear that their main problems was their two guitarists pulling in different directions, creating a schizophrenia that would still allow the band to make another great record before breaking at the seams. Clearly in this chapter of influences, the winner is De Scalzi, who seems more inspired, while the more energetic Di Palo seems rather short on inspiration often ripping off other bands' works. Technically the first disc TNT's better work (yes, better than UT), easily reaching the four stars status, but the live album is anything but excellent and barely reaches the good level, hence its below four rating.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#124732) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Searching for what, I'm not sure.

The Trolls continue their quest to be like their favorite British groups. This time I sense a bit of Zeppelin 3 and perhaps some T. Rex in the acoustic numbers on the front half. The front half is almost entirely acoustic music with guitar and piano accompanying the vocals, in English again, unfortunately. There are some nice moments sprinkled throughout but for the most part it is some pretty average material. The Trolls do not reach the heights of the foreign bands they emulate nor do they stack up well against the real Italian Symphonic giants. The second half of the album is live material that is rendered un-listenable by the ludicrous, annoying crowd noise that sounds completely manipulated, either added on or mixed too loud. If it is actual and natural, my apologies, but it sounds as genuine as an old sitcom laugh track. It's actually comical in places. The live material is really admired by some but it's more of the Purple/Tull/Zep wannabe stuff that just makes me long to hear the real thing. I think they are decent players but I also think they have an almost unbearably high "show-off" factor, they seem to constantly put forth solos that self-congratulate their prowess more than convey any kind of meaningful emotion to me as a listener. Showboating is the term I believe. The vocals are a juvenile attempt to out-Gillan Gillan and they are painful. Put the awful "crowd noise drops" on top of that and it really becomes more than I can bear. Harsh I suppose but it does not work for me..at all.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#158109) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This double album from "The New Trolls" is quite disparate and shows little unity throughout over seventy minutes of music. The band was willing to conquer new markets and the album was sung in English (as Banco & PFM will do later on as well). I have little arguments for this: English or Italian is not the point. Only personality matters.

And the least I can say, is that one could have expected more from the band. The early Bowie inspired "In St. Peter's Day" is not too bad but totally unexpected. One of the few true song that has this charming "Italian" style is "Once That I Prayed", thanks to its wonderful piano play.

The tranquil and Canterbury oriented "A Land To Live?" is also elegant: vocals are on the soft side and the early stages of the song feature a fine guitar work which is taken over by a long (Hammond?) organ solo. A good heavy prog part.

The original first album closes on the long "To Edith": while the instrumental parts (the longest ones) are damned good, the vocal ones doen't sound real great. It seems that Di Palo wants to emulate Plant ("Your Time Is Gonna Come"). Mixed bag feeling I'm afraid.

What's available during the live part of this album is rather inconsistent. Basic hard to heavy rock with poor vocals ("Bright lights"), a self indulgent track as it was often the case in the early seventies ("Intro"), a Tull oriented "Black Night" under the name of "Muddy Madalein". Nothing extraordinary as you can see.

The long "Lying There" is probably the one that is more appealing to prog ears. Very much keyboard oriented for a long while. ELP is at hand before the "vocals" start. It is yet another painful moment I'm afraid?These yelling are quite unbearable and the audience "reactions" quite suspicious. The guitar solo is as good or as dull (it belongs to your taste) as it can be.

In all, this album is not what I consider as a masterpiece. Average corresponds more to my perception. Let's upgrade it to three stars since two and a half is not possible.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#249842) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 10, 2009

3 stars I found this a frustrating album to listen to overall. Originally released as a double album with the first album being mostly an acoustic studio record, while the second album is completely live with new tracks. Finnforest hits the nail on the head when he labels the live album as almost unlistenable because of the crowd noise. I swear the clapping is louder then the music at times. Very annoying. Frustrating as I mentioned earlier because I really enjoyed the first album a lot, only to get hit with this abrasive and agitating second album. Of course on the cd it's all on one or i'd just throw away the second disc.

"Searching" opens with intricate guitar as drums then vocals join in. Piano 2 1/2 minutes in takes the lead. Vocals are back late. Good song. "Percival" again features that intricate acoustic guitar. Bass, percussion and expressive vocals join in. Cool tune. "In St.Peter's Day" opens with acoustic guitar as piano and vocals join in. It kicks in briefly before 2 1/2 minutes then settles again as contrasts continue. "Once That I Prayed" opens with piano. Vocals before a minute. "A Land To Live A Land To Die" opens with organ that builds as piano joins in then vocals. Guitar after 1 1/2 minutes. A fuller sound before 3 minutes. Some distorted organ takes over with bass and drums. Nice. A spacey vibe 7 minutes in as sounds echo. "Giga" is a short tune with acoustic guitar melodies. "To Edith" opens with strummed guitar that soon becomes picked. Synths join in. Reserved vocals 1 1/2 minutes in. Drums follow and the vocals get theatrical at times. Electric guitar after 7 minutes.

I have to say if I was rating the first album by itself I would give it 4 stars. It just makes me feel so good it's hard to explain. And that's what makes this recording so frustrating for me because the next 4 live tracks ruin it for me. It's not that the LED ZEPPELIN-like music is bad (although I would give it a low 3 stars) ,but the in your face crowd noise kills it.

So 3 disappointing stars overall. I just received a message from Paolo who is from the same city as the NEW TROLLS(Genoa), anyway he has a book about 70's progressive rock from Genoa that says THE NEW TROLLS overdubbed the live crowd on the second album of "Searching For A Land". It's a fake live album in otherwords and it sure sounds like it.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#275145) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 28, 2010

4 stars Searching For a Land. This is the title of the fourth album of the Trolls, published in 1972, and this album is completely different from their predecessors especially by legendary Concerto Grosso. A double album, with a part of was recorded in the studio and another live; surely, possibly i ... (read more)

Report this review (#964627) | Posted by AndreArte | Friday, May 24, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I found this to be a rather enjoyable album. It certainly shows plainly the riff between Vittorio De Scalzi and Nico Di Palo which came to a head on their next effort, UT (causing them to split up and legal wrangling which caused De Palo faction to eventually be called Ibis and De Scalzi wondering ... (read more)

Report this review (#283129) | Posted by Progfan97402 | Sunday, May 23, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Searching for a new dimensions of dreams in the world of reality , one of my essentials since 1992 , this double album touches my feelings deeply whenever i have the chance to hear this wonderful flow of harmonies , amazing lyrics , perfect technics , and a talented ... (read more)

Report this review (#171793) | Posted by trackstoni | Wednesday, May 21, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Maybe, after the huge European success of "Concerto Grosso", the New Trolls started feeling larger than life, and embarked on this ambitious project, a double album completely made of new stuff, with one of the two discs recorded live and completely sung in English. The album was released in a ... (read more)

Report this review (#120181) | Posted by paolo.beenees | Monday, April 30, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a sad but beautiful album. Lyrically, it is a quest for nowhere, a search for a summits that they no longer believe in. The ubermench is caught as a victim of his own solitude, the enlightement though disapear slowly, leaving room for the appaerance of Postmodernisn and his well know S ... (read more)

Report this review (#73251) | Posted by | Monday, March 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Album released in 1972 "Searching For A Land". CD1 is a studio work, and CD2 is a live work. In the studio work, abundant ideas and steady techniques are shown off without reserve centering on a romantic tune similar to the former work. As the Italian rock sung in English, the work group of th ... (read more)

Report this review (#65946) | Posted by braindamage | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The italian fans of New Trolls will want to kill me for this comment, but this album is the best of this group. This is his only album sung entirely in english, and I can say without error that is a gem of progressive rock, not only of Italy, but of the world. Pay attention fans of progressive ... (read more)

Report this review (#63679) | Posted by | Saturday, January 07, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the most underrated of all the excellent albums NT made in their glorious progressive era. It is not difficult to undrstand why. The album was a double vinyl set, very ambitious but also disjointed here and there. Had it been released as a single, with less lenghty tracks and a without ... (read more)

Report this review (#19457) | Posted by | Thursday, July 22, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NEW TROLLS "Searching For A Land"