STRAWBS

Good, but non-essential

Buy STRAWBS Music
Studio Album, released in 1969

Side 1
1. The Man Who Called Himself Jesus (3:41)
2. That Which Once Was Mine (2:48)
3. All The Little Ladies (2:15)
4. Pieces Of 79 And 15 (2:56)
5. Tell Me What You See In Me (4:58)
6. Oh How She Changed (2:50)
Side 2
7. Or Am I Dreaming (2:25)
8. Where Is This Dream Of Your Youth (3:04)
9. Poor Jimmy Wilson (2:33)
10. Where Am I / I'll Show You Where To Sleep (3:25)
11. The Battle (6:30)

Search STRAWBS Strawbs lyrics

Search STRAWBS Strawbs tabs

- Dave Cousins / vocals, guitar
- Tony Hooper / vocals, guitars
- Ron Chesterman / double bass

Lp-A&M-AMS 936-1969
CD 2002 Progressive Line, a division of Dole Music Inc (Sydney, Australia). Licensed by Today Music Inc (Sydney, Australia) PL 527

and to MANDRAKEROOT for the last updates

STRAWBS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STRAWBS Strawbs Music

From the WitchwoodFrom the Witchwood
Import · Remastered
Live At the BBC Vol. 2Live At the BBC Vol. 2
FONTANA UNIVERSAL 2010
20th Century Masters: Millennium Collection20th Century Masters: Millennium Collection
Remastered
Interscope Records 2003
Strawbs - Greatest Hits LiveStrawbs - Greatest Hits Live
Road Goes on Forever 1996
Live at Nearfest 2004Live at Nearfest 2004
Witchwood Media 2005
Strawbs - Strawbs By Choice - AMLH 68259 - LP Vinyl Record #strawbs US $19.47 Buy It Now 1h 52m
STRAWBS 7"Single - I Only Want My Love To Grow In You US $11.35 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Slade/Strawbs-1980 magazine advert US $8.10 Buy It Now 4h 16m
MELLOTRON ALBUM Rime of the Ancient Sampler UK CD *NEW King Crimson Strawbs BJH US $145.00 Buy It Now 6h 13m
Deep Cuts/Burning for You by The Strawbs (CD, Aug-1996, 2 Discs, Road Goes on... US $36.00 Buy It Now 6h 38m
DENNY, Sandy/THE STRAWBS - All Our Own Work (reissue) - gatefold 2xLP US $41.80 Buy It Now 6h 52m
Strawbs - The Collection (NEW CD) US $8.43 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Strawbs~Original CAN LP Hero & heroine EX 1974 Art Rock Prog   US $13.50 Buy It Now 8h 20m
STRAWBS-OF A TIME-JAPAN MINI LP CD BONUS TRACK Fi56 US $33.99 Buy It Now 8h 44m
The Strawbs Best Of 2 LP Record Set A&M 1978 Gatefold etched dead wax US $3.49 [0 bids]
STRAWBS Hero And Heroine A&M LP Progressive British Folk Rock US $2.99 [0 bids]
Strawbs - 40th Anniversary Celebration [CD New] US $23.98 Buy It Now 11h 39m
STRAWBS-JAPAN 8TITLES MINI LP CD PROMO BOX BA81 US $262.50 Buy It Now 12h 14m
STRAWBS BURSTING AT THE SEAM CD JEWEL CASE US $10.79 Buy It Now 13h 6m
STRAWBS GRAVE NEW WORLD CD JEWEL CASE US $10.79 Buy It Now 13h 6m
STRAWBS JUST A COLLECTION OF ANTIQUES AND CURIOS CD JEWEL CASE US $10.79 Buy It Now 13h 6m
THE STRAWBS - LIVE AT THE CALDERONE, NEW YORK '75 [881626912829] - NEW CD US $11.68 Buy It Now 14h
CD Album: The Strawbs : Dancing To The Devil's Beat US $15.81 [0 bids]
PROG ROCK/ Strawbs - Bursting At The Seams (LP) US $9.99 [0 bids]
PROG ROCK/ Strawbs - From The Witchwood (LP) US $9.99 [0 bids]
PROG ROCK/ Strawbs - Hero And Heroine (LP) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Strawbs "Bursting At The Seams" US $11.99 Buy It Now 16h
THE STRAWBS - LAYDOWN - 45 RPM SINGLE RECORD - 1972 US $1.64 [0 bids]
STRAWBS Grave New World UK 72 LP`TRI-GATEFOLD` w/ LARGE BOOKLET `RARE FOLK MINT- US $48.70 Buy It Now 16h 17m
CRANIUM'S Rick Wakeman THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII orig A+M Lp NM Yes Strawbs US $29.99 Buy It Now 16h 25m
Strawbs Ghosts A&M SP 4544 1975 Canadian FP LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 16h 27m
STRAWBS Early Strawbs SP 9014 Vinyl 2 LP N/Mint US $19.53 Buy It Now 17h 12m
THE STRAWBS Ghosts A&M RECORDS 1975 Near Mint DAVE COUSINS US $26.99 Buy It Now 17h 16m
THE STRAWBS Antiques & Curios SEALED ORIGINAL LP US $49.99 Buy It Now 19h 12m
STRAWBS - STRAWBS 40TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION 2: RICK & NEW CD US $30.86 Buy It Now 20h 55m
STRAWBS - SAMPLER NEW CD US $23.82 Buy It Now 20h 57m
SANDY DENNY & THE STRAWBS - ALL OUR OWN WORK NEW VINYL US $38.39 Buy It Now 21h 44m
STRAWBS-DEEP CUTS-JAPAN ISSUE,PROMO WHITE LABEL US $74.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Strawbs(Vinyl LP 1st Issue)Deep Cuts-Polydor-2391 234-UK-NM/NM US $17.84 Buy It Now 1 day
Strawbs - Vol. 1-Strawberry Music Sampler CD US $20.32 Buy It Now 1 day
Strawbs - Grave New World 12" vinyl US $10.55 Buy It Now 1 day
The STRAWBS -- Burning for you -- 1977 release US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
The Strawbs-Part Of The Union 7" UK A&M 45 1973 US $8.10 Buy It Now 1 day
The Best of Strawbs double LP great condition US $10.99 [1 bids]
The Strawbs - Just A Collection Of Antiques And Curios (CD 1998) US $5.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Lindisfarne/The Strawbs-1993 magazine advert US $8.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Strawbs - Broken Hearted Bride [CD New] US $13.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Strawbs Deep Cuts LP Factory Sealed 1976 Original Rare US $28.99 [0 bids]
STRAWBS-NOMADNESS-RARE YUGOSLAV LP 1976-UNIQUE LABEL US $21.00 Buy It Now 1 day
4- 70's Albums- CCR/Strawbs/Paco/Frampton US $7.49 Buy It Now 1 day
STRAWBS - SAME/ 1ST LP - PROG FOLK ROCK - 180 GM VINYL US $34.08 Buy It Now 1 day
STRAWBS LP DEEP CUTS OYSTER POLYDOR 1603 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Strawbs Ghosts 8 Track Tape TESTED US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
STRAWBS-GRAVE NEW WORLD-1998 CD+2 BONUS TRACKS-MINT US $7.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Hero & Heroine, Strawbs, New Original recording remastered, I US $14.28 Buy It Now 1 day
Work in Progress by Dave Lambert (CD, Mar-2004, Witchwood Media) Strawbs US $98.25 Buy It Now 1 day
The STRAWBS -- From the witchwood -- 1971 LP release -- with Rick Wakeman US $6.00 [0 bids]
2 RECORD LOT STRAWBS GRAVE NEW WORLD WITH BOOKLET NOMADNESS ! US $14.99 [0 bids]
Paper Bubble-Scenery UK folk psych cd Strawbs US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes-CLASSIC-Strawbs-KING CRIMSON-Badger-ASIA-UK-Prog-Cd US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
A Choice Selection of Strawbs by The Strawbs/new cd US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Nomadness [Bonus Tracks] by The Strawbs (CD, Aug-2008, UME Imports Europe) US $7.99 [0 bids]
THE STRAWBS - FROM THE WITCHWOOD VINYL LP US $14.59 Buy It Now 2 days
STRAWBS 'WITCHWOOD : THE VERY BEST OF' CD (2014) US $6.41 Buy It Now 2 days
STRAWBS HERO AND HEROINE ORIG PROG ROCK LP ON A&M US $9.99 [0 bids]
Strawbs Just a Collection of Antiques & Curios Japan LP OBI INSERT US $19.99 [1 bids]
1975 THE STRAWBS Lemon Pie Promo 45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Strawbs/Shine On Silver Sun/1973 7" Single/EX US $6.48 Buy It Now 2 days
The Best of Strawbs Vinyl LP Album Well Cared For US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE STRAWBS Dragonfly CD BRAND NEW Bonus Tracks US $16.23 Buy It Now 2 days
STRAWBS LP " Hero And Heroine " A&M Canada 1974' ** PROG. ROCK ** US $15.95 Buy It Now 2 days
BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST THE COMPACT STORY OF CD CAMEL PINK FLOYD CARAVAN STRAWBS US $2.50 [0 bids]
STRAWBS - Burning For You, Japan mini LP CD, 1st press...!! US $26.89 [0 bids]
STRAWBS - I Don't Want To Talk About It - Arista 0327 - PROMO US $1.95 [0 bids]
The Strawbs - Live At The BBC Vol.2 NEW 2 x CD ALBUM US $14.01 Buy It Now 2 days
Strawbs Hero and Heroine 1974 A&M Release Near Mint Surfaces US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
YES-Union-KING CRIMSON-The Strawbs-ASIA-Jon Anderson-SS US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
New NO TALKIN' CD John Ford 2014 Fmr member Strawbs The Monks Blackmores Night US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SANDY DENNY & THE STRAWBS - All Our Own Work, ORIGINAL 1973 UK LP... EX US $9.72 [0 bids]
strawbs - deep cuts (US)1976 LP polydor oy 1-1603 lyric inner, masterdisk US $4.00 [0 bids]
strawbs - best of (US)1978 2xLP a&m sp6005 gatefold cover wl promo vinyl US $6.00 [0 bids]
STRAWBS LP - hero and Heroine (1973) US $13.75 [0 bids]
STRAWBS: Part Of The Union (A&M) 1973 US $4.53 Buy It Now 2 days
THE STRAWBS 70'S CONCERT PROGRAMME US $12.97 Buy It Now 2 days
Strawbs 'Ghosts' LP Vinyl A&M SP 4506 US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
STRAWBS - GRAVE NEW WORLD - NEW CD US $11.29 Buy It Now 2 days
STRAWBS - FROM THE WITCHWOOD - NEW CD US $11.29 Buy It Now 2 days
STRAWBS - BURSTING AT THE SEAMS - NEW CD US $11.29 Buy It Now 2 days
STRAWBS Deep Cuts LP Record 1976 RARE US $12.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Sealed! 8 Track Tape~~~THE STRAWBS~~~DEEP CUTS~~~Oyster 0798~~~1976 US $35.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Strawbs Bursting At The Seams US $1.99 [0 bids]
Strawbs Grave New World 1971 Record, Classic Vinyl US $1.99 [0 bids]
THE STRAWBS 45 PROMO A&M-998 "The Man Who Called Himself Jesus" VG++! US $2.00 [0 bids]
1970s Vinyl LPs: 1978 Strawbs Deadlines Arista AB-4172 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Strawbs Hero And Heroine LP AMLS-63607 US $15.00 [0 bids]
STRAWBS In Concert CD BBC RADIO ONE 1 UK ORIGINAL  US $3.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MAXELL ROCK SAMPLER LP 1979 VG+ DPL-1-0400 GATE FOLD TRIUMPH/ STRAWBS US $1.50 [0 bids]
THE STRAWBS- PART OF THE UNION (DUTCH A&M 12545 AT) 7"PS EARLY 70'S US $5.50 Buy It Now 2 days
The Strawbs Best Of 2 LP Record Set A&M Promo 1978 Gatefold MINT MINUS SCARCE US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
STRAWBS PART OF THE UNION / WILL YOU GO VINYL 7" SINGLE US $2.26 Buy It Now 3 days
STRAWBS SHINE ON SILVER SUN / AND WHEREFORE VINYL 7" SINGLE US $2.26 Buy It Now 3 days
Strawbs - Broken Hearted Bride CD US $18.74 Buy It Now 3 days
STRAWBS nomadness ORIGINAL Vinyl 1975 ENGLAND Rick Wakeman Porky Prime Cut MINT US $45.00 Buy It Now 3 days
STRAWBS, EARLY STRAWBS, 2LPs 1974 RARE CANADA EX/EX/EX GATEFOLD/SL SP-99014 US $42.19 Buy It Now 3 days
Sandy Denny & The Strawbs: All Our Own Work (2LPs) VINYL US $27.64 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy STRAWBS music online Buy STRAWBS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STRAWBS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STRAWBS Strawbs ratings distribution

STRAWBS Strawbs reviews

Review by Chris S
2 stars Very much a folk album at this stage in the Strawbs reportoire. Therefore I suggest it as for hardcore Strawbs fans only. I like it, and it has real gems like ' The man who called himself Jesus' with Cousin's amusing narrative as well as the classic ' Tell me what you see in me', which later became a classic tune for gigs even today, remade on the Don't Say Goodbye album. ' It also includes ' The Battle' which shows glimpses of future progressive leanings that were to follow.Great addition to your Strawbs library but as I say very much a folk album.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#19688) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Review by hdfisch
3 stars The Strawbs happen to be as well on my all-time-favs list since quite a long time. Certainly their albums between "Witchwood" and "Ghost" had considerably better things to offer than their first two ones. But actually I like also very much their debut which admittedly might have been still rather folk than Prog, but hey keep in mind that we're still in 1969. And I think for that year of release this one can be considered quite a remarkable debut. Moreover I even prefer it in some way to its follow-up "Dragonfly" since it's overall more lively than that one. Though there isn't any long-track on here we get instead a track like "Tell Me What You See In Me" with a great oriental flavour, certainly the outstanding one here. But there are other highlights like "Where Is This Dream Of Your Youth" with some piano playing (not listed in the line-up!), "Poor Jimmy Wilson" though being just a rather simple song with a nice story and pleasant flute (also not listed!) or "The Battle" with keyboards that are again not listed. To sum up my review this debut might have been certainly not to be considered essential in any sense but anyway it had been a noteworthy and very good one.

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#101017) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Review by clarke2001
3 stars A nice prog-folk debut. This one sounds really dated nowadays, but I love that sound and style. Folk tunes are occasionally spiced with proggy elements. For example, "All The Little Ladies" is a pure folk tune, very English. In my opinion, only AMAZING BLONDEL could come close by their "englishness". Lovely guitar work. Interesting lyrics."Tell Me What You See In Me" is breathtaking tune which combined perfectly music from India with contemporary pop and rock.

The element of psychedelia is not to be overlooked, the examples are "The Man Who Called Himself Jesus" (sounds like SIMON AND GARFUNKEL with distortion) and nice "Where Is The Dream Of Your Youth" with loads of reverb - the effect that is overused in "Where Am I", which sounds quite pathetic.

"Oh How She Changed" and "Poor Jimmy Wilson" are weaker tracks, first one being pop, and second one pure folk, but they are pleasant enough.

My personal favourite, the highlight of the album is "Pictures Of 79 And 15", in my opinion one of the top 10 most beautiful songs ever written! Pretty Hammond organ work (reminds me of early era JETHRO TULL) and unbeatable, dreamy vocal harmonies. That's what this album is all about, really. One lovely dream.

A good debut, definitely not the milestone, but a fine example of late 60's music. Very pleasant work.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#101788) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars A strong statement of intent

For the Strawbs first official album (excluding their work with Sandy Denny which was retrospectively released some years later), we have to go way back to 1969. Back then, the band was an acoustic trio (Even the bass here is a double bass, not a guitar) consisting of David Cousins, Tony Hooper and Ron Chesterman. Cousins and Hooper share vocal and song writing duties, Cousins being the dominant partner. The band were the first to sign to the UK arm of A&M records. In an ironic twist, the album they originally submitted was deemed too "pop", the record company insisting that they record some more progressive material.

The album has many fine tracks, offering a good indication of where the band were heading. The folk influences are strong, with acoustic instruments dominant, but there are some more rock orientated pieces.

The opening track, "The man who called himself Jesus" is a strange tale set in the present which reflects on how society might react if Jesus,(or someone claiming to be him) was to return. The song was written by Cousins following an experience a friend of his had in Copenhagen, Denmark. While his friend working in a shop there, a man walked in an introduced himself as "Jesus". This got Cousins thinking about the fact that Jesus had indicated he would return one day, and he (Cousins) wondered how Christ would be able to convince people of his authenticity. The track was a controversial selection both for the first track on the album and as a single, being quickly banned form broadcast by the BBC.

"Pieces of 79 and 15" has some fine unaccredited mellotron, while the early version of "Tell me what you see in me" here has a slightly eastern feel. The song would be completely transformed decades later into one of the bands most powerful numbers ever. "Or am I dreaming" also contains enhanced orchestration, the track having a Simon and Garfunkel like relaxed but upbeat mood.

"Where is this dream of your youth" is one of the more ambitious pieces, but for the definitive version of the song look to the "Antiques and curios" album, where Rick Wakeman hijacks the song with a lengthy organ solo. The closing song "The battle" is a complete story in 11 verses. There is perhaps a nod to Bob Dylan in the style of the composition, but the song is a strong statement by the band which whets the appetite for the albums which follow. Once again, the song benefits from significant supplementary instrumentation.

While the acoustic basis of the album inevitably leads to the music being described as folk orientated, there is more to "Strawbs" than is at first apparent. The songs are wonderfully composed both in terms of lyrics and melodies with underlying complexities which cannot be simply dismissed as folk music. "Strawbs" may be the start of the journey, but it is nevertheless a wonderful, album in its own right. Its importance in the history of prog folk should not be underestimated either.

RIP Ron Chesterman, who sadly passed away while I was preparing this review.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#118486) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This debut from Strawbs is a gentle and peaceful piece of music. Mostly acoustic, it features some fine vocal harmonies (Pieces Of 79 And 15), some weak song as well (All The Little Ladies and Oh How She Changed). The opening track is too much religious for my ears (The Man Who Called himself Jesus).

The music you can find here is hardly essential and sounds pretty much outdated. The psychedelic and early Floyd oriented Tell Me What You See In is my fave out here. There are some nice Oriental influence as well (percussions, violin).

When one listens to Or Am I Dreaming, it is impossible not to think about The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel). Paul Simon wrote it in 68 though.

The album weakens substantially from there on and offers some childish mood and frankly poor songs like Poor Jimmy Wilson and Where Am I. The closing track is another good part of this debut album. It is much more constructed and consists of much more mature music. There is a fine keyboards play in the background, and the crescendo approach is rather efficient. A second highlight.

I will upgrade this album from five out of ten to three stars mainly thanks to three songs (but which accounts for almost half of the running time). But, be aware that the band will sound more progressive in later releases (some years after this release).

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#183681) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 26, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars I was quite surprised when I heard this album. This music is firmly rooted in 60's pop and it reminds me a lot of Donovan and even The Beatles, much more so than early Fairport Convention or Steeleye Span. Some songs even remind me of David Bowie's funny self titled debut album, especially Or Am I Dreaming?, All The Little Ladies and Poor Jimmy Wilson. Some songs here are even humorous!

The song Where Is This Dream Of Your Youth? was later recorded live for the album Just A Collection Of Antiques And Curios. Here it is just over three minutes long and on Just A Collection Of Antiques And Curios it is almost ten minutes, with a long psychedelic organ solo by Rick Wakeman.

This is a cute Folk pop album with a strong 60's sound and it has very little to do with the Prog Folk band they later became. If you want to find anything progressive on this album, I guess you have to look towards the closing number The Battle which is over six minutes long and reminds slightly of The Vision Of The Lady Of The Lake from the next album.

Only for fans and collectors, I suppose.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#199022) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Review by UMUR
3 stars Strawbs is the self-titled debut studio album from British progressive folk/ rock act Strawbs. This is on of those bands that I have never had the time to check out and in retrospect that´s actually a bit sad as much of this album is right down my alley. Well I´ll redeem myself by getting more of their albums in the future because this debut from the band has certainly given me the promise of even better things to come.

The basis in the music is British folk with lots of beautiful acoustic guitar and double bass. The vocal lines are strong, memorable and beautiful and both Dave Cousins and Tony Hooper have the voices to carry those melodies home. There´s also a symphonic element in the music which sometimes remind me of Genesis. Best examplified in Pieces of 79 and 15 and the ending 6:30 minute long epic The Battle. Other favorites for me on the album are The Man Who Called Himself Jesus, That Which Once Was Mine, All The Little Ladies and Poor Jimmy Wilson. The folk element isn´t that strong in the music ( it´s not the Celtic violin kind anyway) so don´t worry if you´re not interested in that genre.

The musicianship is a great asset on this album. Those vocals are very enjoyable and the acoustic guitar playing too. I could have done without the cheesy string sections that mare a couple of the tracks ( a bit too trapped in the sixties) but the instrumentation is generally very tasteful.

The production is very good. Warm and pleasant.

Strawbs is a very good and slightly progressive folk/ rock album. I enjoy it greatly and was considering giving it 4 stars. There are a couple of flaws on the album like the strings sections I mentioned above that means that this album ends on a 3 star rating though. A great surprise.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#199780) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 19, 2009

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars Strawbs have such a weird and wonderful history that this "first" self titled album is only their initial record label release, not actually their debut recording. For that, one has to dig out "All Our Own Work", "Sandy and the Strawbs", or even "Preserves Uncanned". But since this was the first album to be released, it deserves consideration as such.

Already in 1969 the group is blending Dylan and Ray Davies styled storytelling with nascent progressive rock to produce a rather unique British take on folk rock, parallel to but no less impressive than Fairport Convention, even if they are rarely credited on the same level. Songs like "The Man Who Called Himself Jesus" and "The Battle" demonstrate an already mature narrative style and a fascination with acid rock, not to mention some adventurous approaches in accompaniment and vocal harmonies. The album is almost entirely acoustic but lead guitars do appear here and there as does the odd electronic keyboard.

Elsewhere, several classics make their first appearance here, such as the Arabian influenced "Tell me What You see in me", the surprisingly rocked up "Where is this Dream of Your Youth". Even the more dated songs are lyrically quirky and shine through with a certain sunny 60s slice of life quality. This earnestness permeates even later classics such that the value of a full fledged prog rock group having its roots in English folk music can be fully appreciated.

No band has had a trajectory anything like that of Strawbs, nor a commitment to quality that only rarely has flagged, and this was true from the moment they became A&M's first signing and released this historic work. Recommended for completists and those with a hankering for moderately brocaded folk music of the decidedly English variety.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#212524) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 26, 2009

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars Dave Cousins and Company had managed to secure themselves a recording contract with the up-and-coming American label A&M in the spring of 1968, largely on the strength of material they had recorded in Denmark with then-band member the late Sandy Denny. Its unclear today whether A&M realized Denny had already left the group when they signed the Strawbs, but the label was definitely looking to expand their portfolio into the folk-rock arena. They began with the Strawbs but would eventually add Cat Stevens, Phil Ochs, Joan Baez and others, and would manage U.S. distribution for several of Joe Boyd's Island Records acts including Fairport Convention, which of course is where Denny had landed by the time the tracks for the Strawbs debut had been recorded.

A&M must have been taking a pretty conservative trek into progressive music of the British or folk variety though, as they originally limited distribution of the band's debut to Britain. It didn't find its way into U.S. release until 1973 by which time the band had established itself as a serious prog folk force.

In some respects this is a transitional album even though it is technically the band's first. Their earlier work as the Strawberry Hill Boys was limited to a couple demo singles steeped in skiffle, folk and pop blues; while the band adopted a convincing electric folk-rock sound during Denny's brief tenure in 1967. They would eventually grow to be a fairly mature and complex progressive rock band with symphonic leanings and hints of the blues, but in 1968 the group was still pretty committed to developing their folk-rock sound.

As with the Denny material though the group realized the need for an ear-catching potential single to open the record, and provided the same here with the pop-folk story-song "The Man Who Called Himself Jesus", a deity-disguised-as-commoner ditty in the vein of the later Joan Osborne mega-hit "One of Us". The style is closer to pop than either folk or prog rock but the song achieved its goal of getting the band some attention, namely a ban from BBC for lyrics that the company's censors apparently never really listened to.

With that out of the way the band turned to creating a collection of pleasant and period- appropriate pop-folk numbers with obvious awareness of what was happening musically in both England and the U.S. at the time. The blend of acoustic folk and electric guitar instrumentation was quite popular in the late sixties and Cousins tried to capitalize on this with his own brand folk-rock that was beginning to show signs of progressive leanings. The band employed elaborate string arrangements on the Moody Blues-sounding "Pieces of 79 and 15" and "Oh How She Changed"; some Arab instrumentation on the mildly psych- tinged "Tell Me What You See in Me"; and hand drums with "Where is this Dream of your Youth?" which Cousins had originally penned in hopes of getting a regional vocal folk group The Young Tradition to record. Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones and sometimes- Rolling Stones keyboardist Nicky Hopkins also appear on the album.

The band revealed future directions with the sprawling, Gregorian-steeped symphonic piece "The Battle" that closes the album. They would pick up where this song leaves off when the returned to the studio for a follow-up album.

A&M originally rejected the album as too bombastic and non-commercial, not really surprising considering they had been sold on the band based on the comparatively stolid folk-rock material the group had presented them from the Denny-lead Denmark sessions. The record would be released in Britain after some rework and eventually in the U.S., but for the most part the album had scant promotion and made little impression at the time.

Despite the poor initial reception, this has become a well-regarded debut for the band in retrospect. While the group would move into a much more progressive direction in the ensuing years, and eventually away from folk almost completely in the eighties and nineties, this is a great example of the unique blend of pop, folk and rock that would endear the band to their fans in the early and mid seventies. A solid three star effort and recommended to any Strawbs fan that didn't become aware of them until the 'Dragonfly' days or later.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#499564) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 08, 2011

2 stars Strawbs is debut album from the British folk/rock group called Strawbs, released back in 1969. It's mostly acoustic sounded and although not so bad it is only a shadow of the music they are going to make in the years to come. First song "The Man Who Called Himself Jesus" is trying to attract att ... (read more)

Report this review (#513114) | Posted by Archangel | Friday, September 02, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The Strawb's debut is a forgotten gem. There is so much quaity in the compositions and performance here.The arrangements are top notch and give a colourful and interesting setting. The music has a few flavours, going from sparse folk to pop-psychedelia (sometimes in the same song!) Dave Cousin ... (read more)

Report this review (#427724) | Posted by Frankie Flowers | Tuesday, April 05, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Judging it as a prog album it's more of a 3 rating, but I have a folky streak to my personality, and thus I rate it higher. There are delights to be found everywhere, especially on the first half, and subsequently on the last cut, the epic The Battle, depicting in beautiful horrific lyrics th ... (read more)

Report this review (#19689) | Posted by brainway | Monday, February 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STRAWBS "Strawbs"