STRAWBERRY SAMPLER NUMBER 1

Guest musicians
- Sandy Denny / vocals, guitars
- Ken Gudmand / drums
- Cy Nicklin / sitar

Lp-Private release Oct 1969 to Feb 1970. Less than 100 copies.
CD: WC CD2002 (Witchwood Collection, 2001).

and to Eetu Pellonpää for the last updates

STRAWBS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STRAWBS Strawberry Sampler number 1 Music

CD from the witchwood ~ USD $15.77
CD prince and princess radio show ~ USD $15.77
LP strawbs ~ USD $23.45
CD strawbs (first) ~ USD $15.77

More places to buy STRAWBS music online Buy STRAWBS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STRAWBS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STRAWBS Strawberry Sampler number 1 ratings distribution

STRAWBS Strawberry Sampler number 1 reviews

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
2 stars One of three late 60s STRAWBS albums with a very similar track list, "Strawberry Sampler" has a lower Sandy Denny vocal presence than "All Our Own Work" and "Sandy and the Strawbs". Her performances seem closer to those on the other albums, while the Cousins' and Hooper songs are sometimes dominated by orchestra in the manner of arty pop music. Most of those tracks were rejects from the first A&M Strawbs album, as executives were searching for a more psychedelic folky groove.

It's hard to recommend any one of the three recordings above the others. This one is more artifice than article because of the different sources, and the objective of marketing Strawbs as songwriters worthy of adaptation by accomplished pop vocalists. This also makes it arguably more eclectic and a better advertisement for the group's breadth. It was also so rare in vinyl form that it retains a certain cachet that the others cannot match. Still, progressive it isn't, and the bluegrass derivations ain't nowhere to be found(sic). The only heretofore unavailable track is "Whichever Way the Wind Blows", an innocent and precious product of its time, and only lovable as such, while the most progressive outings are the haunting "Two Weeks Last Summer" and the ingeniously miserable "I turned my face to the wind". Others like "On Growing Older" and "Ah me Ah My" appear in identical or superior form on "Grave New World". "Josephine for Better or Worse" with its 80 piece backing brass band gives the best clues as to how the group blew its A&M advance on their self titled album and had to record the sophomore "Dragonfly" on a shoestring. It wasn't money well spent.

Unless you are a completionist or the above description is appealing, this is probably a larger sample of the SANDY DENNY era than you will ever need.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#260592) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Post a review of STRAWBS "Strawberry Sampler number 1 "