A HUNTING WE SHALL GO: LIVE IN 1974

Canterbury Scene

Caravan A Hunting We Shall Go: Live In 1974 album cover

Buy CARAVAN Music
Live, released in 2008

1. A Hunting We Shall Go (8:43)
2. For Richard (19:16)

- David Sinclair / keyboards

Recorded 13 November 1974

The Store for Music Ltd

Thanks to TGM: Orb for the addition
and to snobb for the last updates

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN A Hunting We Shall Go: Live In 1974 Music

A Hunting We Shall Go: Live In 1974A Hunting We Shall Go: Live In 1974
The Store for Music 2009

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN A Hunting We Shall Go: Live In 1974 ratings distribution

CARAVAN A Hunting We Shall Go: Live In 1974 reviews

Review by TGM: Orb
2 stars A Hunting We Shall Go, Caravan, 1974

Rather lightweight live album, only thirty four minutes long, three songs and some painful applause herding for an encore. The line-up is essentially the Girls line-up, though John G. Perry's been replaced by an also-excellent Mike Wedgwood. The production is clear but the mix misjudged: the admittedly nicely brought out bass sound dwarfs all other elements. In particular, Pye Hastings' guitar is very low, the drums never seem to match the bass volume.

Regarding the content, we have the minor classic suite A Hunting We Shall Go and Hoedown off For Girls plus the fairly seminal For Richard. A Hunting We Shall Go, despite some brief bits of curious improvisation, feels a bit pale and pasty without the superb For Girls production and frills. The riff is still magnificent.

For Richard is translated brilliantly to the new line-up. Richardson's viola really changes the flavour of the piece to something a little more pastoral while the bass-heavy mix keeps it powerful and punchy as ever. Pye Hastings' vocals are fleeting but delightful. In the nearly 20 minutes running time, we see the whole plethora of cool, loose improvisations and tight, light-hearted rock music that defines Caravan taken over wholesale by a fresh line-up with a star soloist. Hoedown is the encore... lively tune but not really a show-stopper. Caravan bring out the participational elements of that song in a trite, amusing, ironic way with a calculated lack of charisma. Changed more drastically than hunting from the studio version, with Hastings' echoey guitar and Richard Coughlan's drums holding things down and various cutesy improvisations from the band's major instrumentalists.

Hard to see what appeal this album will have for those who aren't devotees of Caravan and even those who are don't really need this. Still, the For Richard take on here is grade A live album stuff. Only two stars for the whole package, maybe a three for the performances; more than half of the stuff here could be part of an easily five star Caravan live album.

Rating: Two Stars but quite good/15 Favourite Track: For Richard

Send comments to TGM: Orb (BETA) | Report this review (#288766) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 30, 2010

2 stars This *album* was recorded at Ebbets Field, Denver, Colorado, on November 13th 1974 during their first tour of Canada and the USA. There is absolutely nothing new here and this is with no doubt something for fans and collectors only. Three tracks for a duration of about 34 minutes, "For Richard ... (read more)

Report this review (#805897) | Posted by Music By Mail | Friday, August 17, 2012 | Review Permanlink

2 stars A live recording from 1974 released 34 years later. Caravan has a very good name which anyone can make some good money out of. Release a live recording and you make money. If the live recording also have a good sound, the better. This recording has also been lifted from a radio recording. Perfe ... (read more)

Report this review (#572757) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, November 22, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CARAVAN "A Hunting We Shall Go: Live In 1974"