AT THE EDGE OF TIME

Buy BLIND GUARDIAN Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

01. Sacred Worlds (9:17)
02. Tanelorn (5:58)
03. Road Of No Release (6:30)
04. Ride Into Obsession (4:46)
05. Curse My Name (5:52)
06. Valkyries (6:38)
07. Control The Divine (5:26)
08. War Of The Thrones (4:55)
09. A Voice In The Dark (5:41)
10. Wheel Of Time (8:55)

Also released in a limited digipack edition that contains a bonus CD:
1. Sacred Worlds (Extended "Sacred" Version)
2. Wheel Of Time (Orchestral Version)
3. Youre The Voice (Radio Edit)
4. Tanelorn (Into The Void) (Demo Version)
5. Curse My Name (Demo Version)
6. A Voice In The Dark (Demo Version)
7. Sacred (Video Clip)

- Frederik Ehmke / Drums

Released via Nuclear Blast
July 30th, 2010

Thanks to Conor Fynes for the addition

BLIND GUARDIAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLIND GUARDIAN At The Edge Of Time Music

At The Edge Of Time (Dlx Ed./2 CD Set)At The Edge Of Time (Dlx Ed./2 CD Set)
Deluxe Edition
Nuclear Blast America 2010
At The Edge Of Time (Dlx Ed./2 CD Set) by Blind Guardian [Music CD]At The Edge Of Time (Dlx Ed./2 CD Set) by Blind Guardian [Music CD]
Nuclear Blast America
Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time CD USD $20.59 Buy It Now 14h 22m
Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time CD NUCLEAR BLAST USD $18.69 Buy It Now 14h 22m
At The Edge Of Time - 2 DISC SET - Blind Guardian (2010, CD New) USD $16.10 Buy It Now 16h
At The Edge Of Time - Blind Guardian 727361263126 (CD Used Very Good) USD $13.25 Buy It Now 16h 15m
Blind Guardian 'At The Edge Of Time' LTD GF 2LP Gold Vinyls 150 only Sealed/Mint USD $64.99 Buy It Now 17h 12m
Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time [CD New] USD $15.25 Buy It Now 22h 33m
BLIND GUARDIAN At the Edge of Time CD (2010) USD $9.75 Buy It Now 2 days
BLIND GUARDIAN AT THE EDGE OF TIME BRAND NEW SEALED 2 CD SET 2010 USD $15.52 Buy It Now 3 days
Blind Guardian: At the edge of time (2010) 2CD OBI TAIWAN USD $23.99 Buy It Now 3 days
At the Edge of Time [Deluxe Edition] [Digipak] by Blind Guardian (CD,... USD $6.99 [0 bids]
USD $9.09 Buy It Now
BLIND GUARDIAN - 'At The Edge Of Time' Official 2011 Australian tour t-shirt USD $12.04 Buy It Now 5 days
Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time - NB2287-2 USD $10.75 Buy It Now 8 days
At the Edge of Time Limited Editio by Blind Guardian 2CD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 9 days
BLIND GUARDIAN At The Edge Of Time 2 CD Korea New USD $16.99 Buy It Now 10 days
BLIND GUARDIAN - AT THE EDGE OF TIME [2 CD] $2.99 S&H USD $16.99 Buy It Now 13 days
At the Edge of Time Blind Guardian CD USD $28.65 Buy It Now 14 days
BLIND GUARDIAN-AT THE EDGE OF TIME-2013 2xLP GOLD VINYL-LIMITED TO 150-SEALED USD $77.99 Buy It Now 16 days
BLIND GUARDIAN At The Edge Of Time 2XCD digipack Enhanced USD $13.49 Buy It Now 18 days
BLIND GUARDIAN**AT THE EDGE OF TIME**CD USD $12.98 Buy It Now 18 days
At the Edge of Time Blind Guardian (CD, Aug-2010, 2 Discs, Nuclear Blast (USA)) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time (NEW CD) USD $17.15 Buy It Now 20 days
BLIND GUARDIAN "AT THE EDGE OF TIME" 2 CD DIGIPACK NEW+ USD $14.36 Buy It Now 20 days
BLIND GUARDIAN "AT THE EDGE OF TIME" CD NEW+ USD $15.28 Buy It Now 20 days
2 CD BLIND GUARDIAN At The Edge Of Time +8 BONUS SONGS USD $9.79 Buy It Now 20 days
At the Edge of Time Limited Editio by Blind Guardian 2CD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Blind Guardian At Edge of Time+2bonus w/OBI Japan USD $23.99 Buy It Now 22 days
BLIND GUARDIAN - AT THE EDGE OF TIME (LTD.DIGI) - 0727361228705 USD $17.16 Buy It Now 22 days
BLIND GUARDIAN [ AT THE EDGE OF TIME ] PROMO CD THAI EDITION STILL SEALED USD $29.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time 2CD 2010 digi power metal Nuclear Blast USD $15.95 Buy It Now 23 days
Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time CD 2010 epic power metal Nuclear Blast USD $12.95 Buy It Now 23 days
Blind Guardian At The Edge Of Time CD Japan Obi Bonus Track VICP-64875 2010 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 23 days
BLIND GUARDIAN - AT THE EDGE OF TIME CD MINT/BRAND NEW + FREE UK P USD $9.36 Buy It Now 23 days
At The Edge Of Time - Blind Guardian (CD Used Very Good) USD $10.53 Buy It Now 25 days
AT THE EDGE OF TIME BY BLIND GUARDIAN (CD) USD $22.61 Buy It Now 25 days
At The Edge Of Time - Blind Guardian USD $14.28 Buy It Now 26 days
At The Edge Of Time - Blind Guardian (2010, CD New) USD $13.55 Buy It Now 27 days
Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time [CD New] USD $12.44 Buy It Now 27 days
BLIND GUARDIAN AT THE EDGE OF TIME SEALED 2 CD SET 2010 USD $12.58 Buy It Now 28 days
BLIND GUARDIAN - At The Edge Of Time +Bonus Disc, 2CD Nuclear Blast 2010 NEW USD $15.00 Buy It Now 29 days
Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time (Dlx) (2010) - Used - Compact Disc USD $9.97 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy BLIND GUARDIAN music online Buy BLIND GUARDIAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLIND GUARDIAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLIND GUARDIAN At The Edge Of Time ratings distribution

BLIND GUARDIAN At The Edge Of Time reviews

Review by UMUR
4 stars "At The Edge Of Time" is the 9th full-length studio album by German power metal act Blind Guardian. The album was released through Nuclear Blast Records in July 2010. The album is the first album release by Blind Guardian since "A Twist in the Myth (2006)".

"Sacred Worlds" opens the album in symphonic style and almost recalls the orchestral grandur and semi-progressive nature of the music on "A Night at the Opera (2002)" (and actually closes the album in a similar symphonic style with "Wheel of Time"), but the band have more things up their sleeve. "At The Edge Of Time" is actually quite the varied album with both epic symphonic tracks, faster paced speed/power metal tracks and folky tracks. In other words all the best from the Blind Guardian songwriting formula. Compared to "A Twist in the Myth (2006)", "At The Edge Of Time" features less hard rock elements and a more metal oriented sound. Blind Guardian occassionally visit their more raw early- to mid-90s speed/power metal style albeit in a more polished, less raw, and more epic and symphonic sounding format and it´s nice to hear that they haven´t forgotten how to play harder edged music yet.

"At The Edge Of Time" is a well produced affair even though I could have wished for at less dry and sterile drum production. The musicianship are impeccable as usual and the songwriting clever and intriguing. Personally I was slightly disappointed by "A Twist in the Myth (2006)" and I welcome the return to a more metal oriented sound on "At The Edge Of Time". I guess there are little here that will surprise anyone but it´s still a greatly enjoyable and high quality release deserving a 3.5 - 4 star (75%) rating.

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'At the Edge of Time' - Blind Guardian (74/100)

Regardless of the places they've ventured since, I believe Blind Guardian's career-defining arc ended with A Twist in the Myth. The disappointing Follow the Blind notwithstanding, each subsequent album sought to outdo the previous installment in progressive ambitions. This arc, as steady as it was, culminated in near-overwhelming proportions with their seventh LP A Night at the Opera, an over-the- top musical feast with every element in their sound amplified to its conceivable limit. Although fans were even further polarized by Blind Guardian's decision to break the arc for a relatively accessible, song-based collection with A Twist in the Myth, I think it stood as a natural part of that evolution. They had a proper rising action with their first five albums, a climax with Nightfall in Middle-Earth and A Night at the Opera, and with A Twist in the Myth, they had their natural denouement.

But where does that leave Blind Guardian's more recent output; specifically their eighth album At the Edge of Time? There's some optimistic part of me that would like to see this as a brand new chapter in the band's development; they're arguably more confident in themselves in this decade than they ever have before. As I continue to listen to the album however, I get the impression that At the Edge of Time ushered in the truly post-classic era in their career. It is not as ambitious nor as challenging as A Night at the Opera, nor is it as stylistically risky as A Twist in the Myth. Rather, this is Blind Guardian taking a long look at their past achievements, and distilling their most characteristic elements to make a veritable fan-pleaser of an album. All the things you know and love (or hate) about the band are on At the Edge of Time; and though it doesn't sound like they pushed themselves here the way they have on albums past, I'd be lying if I denied the fact these ingredients have resulted in an immensely solid album nonetheless.

In a broad sense, At the Edge of Time represents the ultimate stagnation of Blind Guardian's sound. Everything-- the larger-than-life choruses, the fantasy-themed lyrics, the bombastic orchestrations, the mandatory minstrel ballads, the Queen-tinged guitar leads, the symphonic epics and the speed-fueled power metal assaults-- have been heard on albums past. Following A Night at the Opera and its natural rebuttal in A Twist in the Myth, I don't believe there were further heights they could take the music. As it happens, At the Edge of Time only appears to advance their art in terms of sheer budget; the production is sharper than it ever was before, and they finally have a live orchestra to match their symphonic ambitions. The music itself however, for all intents, is built from entirely familiar ingredients. At the Edge of Time was not an exciting development in their career; it began the purely fan-pleasing phase of their career that their most recent album Beyond the Red Mirror has only seen fit to continue.

And yet I love the album.

I've enjoyed it as much as any power metal album to come out this decade. Is this shamelessly hypocritical fanboyism at its worst? Possibly; but I think there is more to it. I really believe that only a band with a style as individual and distinct as Blind Guardian could risk stagnating on their pre-existing laurels and still create exhilarating art. Even without the impression of adventurous spirit that made Somewhere Far Beyond and others such classics, At the Edge of Time is filled with memorable songwriting, brought to life with much of the same attention to detail that has kept me coming back to their back catalogue. For one, "Tanelorn (Into the Void)" stands among the very best of the fast songs they've done; the chorus is one of the most exciting vocal arrangements I've ever heard from Hansi, and the song's arguably even better than "The Quest for Tanelorn" off Somewhere Far Beyond almost two decades before it. By this point in their career, Blind Guardian know how to milk the best out of their style.

"Valkyries" is another favourite of mine off the album; as energetic and epic as a power ballad has any right of being. As much as I could predict the presence of their mandatory plunge into acoustic minstrelsy, "Curse My Name" is a particularly good acoustic tune from them; comparisons with "A Past and Future Secret" off Imaginations from the Other Side wouldn't go unfounded. "Sacred Worlds" and "Wheel of Time" evoke the band's more orchestrated, epic side. It's on these tracks that the album's most notable innovation- a live orchestra- are highlighted. Although Blind Guardian take a similarly bombastic "Hollywood score" to their orchestrations like Rhapsody of Fire and Nightwish, it's surprisingly refreshing to hear the band finally working alongside a full-blown accompaniment.

Though I may cite "Ride into Obsession" and "Control the Divine" as less memorable songs, they're perfectly capable tracks in their own right. At the Edge of Time benefits from the fact that it has no truly weak links to it. By this stage of their career, Blind Guardian are clearly aware of what does and doesn't work in their formula. Although I would have imagined the 'same-old' approach to their albumcraft would have resulted in a less inspired performance, Blind Guardian sound as passionate in their execution as ever here. The album benefits from one of Hansi Kürsch's greatest vocal performances. Particularly on "Tanelorn (Into the Void)" and "Curse My Name", he amply demonstrates that his voice has lost none of its power with age, and we should continue to expect the best from him.

My obvious cynicism aside; Blind Guardian show some major confidence in themselves with At the Edge of Time. They have a perfect grasp of their style, and know exactly where they want to go in their music. For good and bad alike, Blind Guardian have reached full maturity.

2 stars I read many very positive reviews about this new album of Blind Guardian and that's why I gave it a try. I think that the last record "A Twist In The Myth" had its strong moments but the last really convincing and intense album was "Imaginations from the other side", the only album of that which I r ... (read more)

Report this review (#381392) | Posted by kluseba | Sunday, January 16, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars When I heard Blind Guardian was making a new album, I was pretty excited...mainlt cause those guys rule the European metal roost. And I saw the cover art...and was like WOW! Then I got the album, opened it up, saw the artwork inside, and was OH MY GOD Then today I heard the album and was ... (read more)

Report this review (#355741) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Friday, December 17, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BLIND GUARDIAN "At The Edge Of Time"