UNDER THE PINK

Trent Reznor Vocals
Jimbo Ross Viola
Eric Rosse Producer, Engineer
Nancy Roth Violin
John Philip Shenale Strings, Organ (Hammond)
Nancy Stein-Ross Cello
Francine Walsh Violin
John Wittenberg Violin

CD Atlantic 82567
LP Atlantic 82567

TORI AMOS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TORI AMOS Under The Pink Music

Unrepentant Geraldines (Deluxe Edition)Unrepentant Geraldines (Deluxe Edition)
Mercury Classics 2014
Deutsche Grammophon 2012
Piano: The CollectionPiano: The Collection
Box set
Atlantic / Wea 2006
PARTY OF FIVE(5)Rusted Root-TORI AMOS-Joe Jackson-TV-Cd US $8.49 Buy It Now 57m 25s
Tori Amos 'To Venus And Back' 2CD 1999 US $3.99 Buy It Now 57m 42s
Boys For Pele - Tori Amos (1996, CD New) US $7.42 Buy It Now 4h 13m
TORI AMOS American Doll Posse Limited Edition CD+DVD (New) US $20.55 Buy It Now 5h 8m
TORI AMOS - NIGHT OF HUNTERS NEW CD US $21.58 Buy It Now 6h
TORI AMOS CD SINGLE PROFESSIONAL WIDOW IN CARD SLIPCASE SLEEVE GERMAN US $5.03 Buy It Now 6h 4m
TORI AMOS * HEY JUPITER / PROFESSIONAL WIDOW * UK 2 x CDs * RARE! US $33.62 Buy It Now 7h 3m
Tori Amos, Under the pink, Vinyl LP (180 gram pressing) (NEW!!) US $36.96 Buy It Now 7h 40m
Screaming in Silence Tori Amos CD US $15.67 Buy It Now 8h 6m
From the Choirgirl Hotel by Tori Amos (CD, May-1998, Atlantic (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Under the Pink by Tori Amos US $3.99 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
TORI AMOS WINTER professional widow GOD 3 CD singles UNRELEASED TRACKS 1991 1994 US $15.99 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) FREE SHIPPING!! US $3.99 [0 bids]
Tori Amos Night Of Hunters Taiwan Ltd CD+DVD w/OBI US $39.78 Buy It Now 10h 14m
Tori Amos - Unrepentant Geraldines (Deluxe Edition CD / DVD ) Pre-Sale NEW 2014 US $27.95 Buy It Now 10h 20m
Tori Amos - Under The Pink CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 45m
TORI AMOS Abnormally Attracted to Sin [CD & DVD] US $12.74 Buy It Now 10h 49m
TORI AMOS CRUCIFY REMIX EP CD NIRVANA LED ZEPPELIN US $5.00 Buy It Now 11h 24m
Tori Amos/Tales Of A Librarian : A Collection/2003 CD & DVD Set US $13.43 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Tales of a Librarian: A Tori Amos Collection (Bonus DVD US $4.99 [0 bids]
Live from the River Music Hall, Vol. 1 (1998 CD) Tori Amos/Cowboy Junkies/More US $5.99 [0 bids]
TORI AMOS UK 1996 CD Single Caught A Lite Sneeze Part1 US $4.19 Buy It Now 11h 57m
TORI AMOS UK 1996 5 MIX CD Single Professional Widow MINT US $3.34 Buy It Now 12h 17m
Tori Amos CHINA Rare UK Import CD Like New 1992 A7531 Sugar US $19.99 [0 bids]
Tori Amos CD Strange Little Girls like new Grammy Tom Wait Neil Young Beatles US $0.99 [0 bids]
TORI AMOS A Sorta Fairytale w/ UNRELEASED TRK & MIX & VIDEO UK CD Single SEALED US $39.99 Buy It Now 12h 54m
TORI AMOS Silent all these years w/ RARE PSA PROMO DJ CD Single PRCD8150 STICKER US $49.99 Buy It Now 13h 31m
TORI AMOS - ABNORMALLY ATTRACTED TO SIN [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $15.04 Buy It Now 13h 37m
Tori Amos - Glory To The 80's - Scarce UK CD 1 US $10.07 Buy It Now 13h 42m
Tower of Song: Songs of Leonard Cohen Elton John Bono Billy Joel Tori Amos ETC US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 46m
Tori Amos Under The Pink US $8.99 Buy It Now 13h 52m
Quarter CD: Tori Amos - Under the Pink US $0.25 [0 bids]
VONDA SHEPARD It's Good Eve CD 1996 AOR/Tori Amos US $4.99 Buy It Now 14h 16m
Tori Amos 12" Spark PROMO US $20.00 Buy It Now 14h 29m
TORI AMOS "SCARLET'S WALK" LIMITED EDITION CD+DVD BOX SET(2002) EPIC - LIKE NEW US $21.95 Buy It Now 14h 53m
TORI AMOS raspberry swirl / cruel ATLANTIC 45 US $15.00 Buy It Now 15h 2m
TORI AMOS Hey Jupiter 1996 UK CD single 2 live trks US $12.75 Buy It Now 15h 3m
TORI AMOS Professional Widow 1996 USA 7 vers CD single US $12.75 Buy It Now 15h 4m
KFOG ACOUSTIC CD COUNTING CROWS old 97's PHISH Tori Amos SQUEEZE Susan Tedeschi US $34.99 Buy It Now 15h 10m
TORI AMOS - LITTLE EARTHQUAKES - NEW CD US $6.76 Buy It Now 15h 14m
TORI AMOS Tales of a Librarian, CD & DVD, Collection, 2003, [Digipak], VG US $4.99 Buy It Now 15h 37m
Ibiza (History Of House) (3xCD) Chicane Tori Amos Moby Leftfield Orbital Moloko US $10.07 Buy It Now 15h 41m
Little Earthquakes, Tori Amos, Acceptable US $6.98 Buy It Now 15h 50m
Lot Of 5 Cassette Tapes Soundgarden Spin Doctors Tori Amos TMBG James Taylor US $7.00 Buy It Now 16h 35m
TORI AMOS - THE BEEKEEPER LTD ED DIGIPAK 2005 EPIC RECORDS US $14.99 Buy It Now 17h 4m
Tori Amos - Under the Pink (1994) US $11.75 Buy It Now 17h 13m
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Tori Amos: The Benefit For RAINN PROMO Music CD Calvin Klein Me Gun 2trk w/ Art! US $52.99 Buy It Now 18h 6m
TORI AMOS THE BEEKEEPER (CD) US $4.00 Buy It Now 18h 58m
TORI AMOS Abnormally Attracted To Sin CD BRAND NEW US $14.55 Buy It Now 19h 41m
TORI AMOS STRIP OF 10 MINT US VIGNETTE STAMPS 1 US $6.54 Buy It Now 19h 44m
TORI AMOS STRIP OF 10 MINT US VIGNETTE STAMPS 2 US $6.54 Buy It Now 19h 44m
TORI AMOS STRIP OF 10 MINT US VIGNETTE STAMPS 3 US $6.54 Buy It Now 19h 45m
TORI AMOS STRIP OF 10 MINT US VIGNETTE STAMPS 4 US $6.54 Buy It Now 19h 45m
TORI AMOS STRIP OF 10 MINT US VIGNETTE STAMPS 5 US $6.54 Buy It Now 19h 45m
TORI AMOS Crucify 5 Track MAXI CD EP 1992 Smells Like Teen Spirit NIRVANA Angie US $1.99 [0 bids]
Gold Dust by Tori Amos (CD, Oct-2012, Deutsche Grammophon) US $8.55 Buy It Now 20h 7m
NO 3.CD,,SINGLE.TOM JONES/TORI AMOS.I WANNA GET BACK WITH YOU.6544957962 US $9.29 Buy It Now 20h 45m
1 CENT CD: Tori Amos 'From The Choirgirl Hotel' 1998 US $0.01 [1 bids]
1 CENT CD: Tori Amos 'Jackie's Strength' USA 3-song EP - USED CONDITION US $0.75 [2 bids]
Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos, CD - 1991 US $5.45 Buy It Now 21h 31m
Hey Jupiter EP [EP] by Tori Amos (CD, Aug-1996, Atlantic (Label)) US $2.25 Buy It Now 21h 48m
American Doll Posse by Tori Amos (Vinyl, May-2007, 2 Discs, Epic (USA)) US $23.35 [1 bids]
TORI AMOS - SPARK [CD Maxi-Single, Jun-1998, Atlantic] - NEW - RARE out of print US $7.88 Buy It Now 22h 38m
TORI AMOS "Little Earthquakes" (CD, 1992) US $7.01 Buy It Now 22h 56m
TORI AMOS DON'T MAKE ME COME TO VEGAS 12" MINT 2003 PRESSING US $19.99 Buy It Now 23h 10m
Abnormally Attracted to Sin Tori Amos Vinyl LP US $17.98 Buy It Now 23h 52m
Tori Amos - Tales Of A Librarian(Wea Co) (2003) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.53 Buy It Now 1 day
TORI AMOS - LITTLE EARTHQUAKES - 1992 Atlantic Records - Very Good US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos - Jackies Strength (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
TORI AMOS COLLECTION - CD - NEW - US $17.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos - The Beekeeper (CD New) US $13.43 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos-Strange Little Girls CD! New Age, Time, Raining Blood + 9 More US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos - Professional Widow (1996) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos - Professional Widow 7 Track CD Single US $8.36 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos - Spark 3 Track CD Single Including Cards US $6.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos - God 4 Track CD Single US $7.43 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos - Caught A Lite Sneeze 5 Track CD Single US $9.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos - Winter 5 Track CD Single Digipak US $3.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos - Under The Pink (Wea Co) (1994) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
TORI AMOS-GOLD DUST NEW BEST COLLECTION-JAPAN SHM-CD BONUS TRACK F50 US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TORI AMOS - FROM THE CHOIRGIRL HOTEL 2LP VINYL TEST PRESSING UNPLAYED RARE US $159.79 [0 bids]
TORI AMOS - LOOKING INSIDE A PIANO - RARE PROMO DVD MINT UNPLAYED US $99.99 [0 bids]
TORI AMOS - SPARK 12" VINYL TEST PRESSING UNPLAYED RARE US $79.79 [0 bids]
TORI AMOS - PRECIOUS THINGS RAREST TORI CD - MINT AND UNPLAYED PRCD 4742 US $479.99 [0 bids]
Tori Amos - Spark (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
TORI AMOS WINTER 1992 4 TRACK CD SINGLE US $8.39 Buy It Now 1 day
TORI AMOS - ABNORMALLY ATTRACTED TO SIN CD/DVD US $7.47 Buy It Now 1 day
TORI AMOS PROFESSIONAL WIDOW 1996 5 TRACK CD SINGLE US $5.03 Buy It Now 1 day
tori amos to venus and back digipak 2 cd set live and new tracks US $1.99 [0 bids]
tori amos SCARLET`S WALK CD US $1.00 [0 bids]
TORI AMOS boys for pele CD 18 track (7567828622) german atlantic 1996 US $8.39 Buy It Now 1 day
TORI AMOS little earthquakes CD 12 track (7567823582) german atlantic 1991 US $8.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos - To Venus And Back (1999) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Andrea Florian (Toronto songstress) Truths CD 1996 (Tori Amos Ani Difranco) NM US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy TORI AMOS music online Buy TORI AMOS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TORI AMOS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TORI AMOS Under The Pink ratings distribution

TORI AMOS Under The Pink reviews

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars I understand the comparisons between Tori Amos and Kate Bush. There is a distinct similarity between their vocal and songwriting styles. At least there was on Amos' first few albums (I haven't heard anything she's done since this album). But somehow too many of her songs just don't grab me. In my record store, I called her "Tori Almost".

A few songs on this album are interesting. God is not bad, in a Peter Gabriel sort of way. And the The Waitress sounds very much like a minor Kate Bush work, especially in the vocal affectations. Cornflake Girl sounds almost like Chrissie Hynde singing over a Bush arrangement. But most of the songs are just too light and uninteresting to hold my attention.

All in all, this is not a terrible album. And my copy is an LP on pink vinyl. 2.5 stars.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#295538) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 20, 2010

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Sophomore slump - the only weak 90s title

After the great success of her stunning debut album and the subsequent touring, Tori came back to the States with her dreams realized. Not only would there be a second album, but Tori already had fans so ravenous they nearly wouldn't let her off the stage after a show. She had crushed the naysayers at Peabody and the executives who laughed at her in Los Angeles. She was having the last laugh and she would be laughing for years. But for whatever reason, "Under the Pink" was a brief stumble. Tori must have read some bad reviews as she chose to defend it, saying she didn't want to repeat the "diary" of the first album. She claimed that "Earthquakes" was a diary while "Pink" was a painting requiring patient listening. She said "Earthquakes" was naked so for "Pink" she put on some clothes. But the problem with "Under the Pink" was not the lack of the first album's intimate diary confessions, the problem is that the music was uninspiring and was for the only time in the 90s one could charge....boring. It was a slump in my opinion but one that would not last long-at all.

Tori had returned to the States and wanted to record without any distractions, so she built a studio with Eric Rosse in Taos, New Mexico. Out in the middle of nowhere was the base of operation for Pink. The album sported three tracks which received wide radio play here in the Midwest, "God," "Past the Mission," and "Cornflake Girl." "God" found her taunting the creator for not the last time with the playful line "do you need a woman to look after you?" The very pop/rock track was stock and repetitive and like "Past the Mission" quickly became old with the repeated listening on radio. "Mission" was notable for including some rather toned-down but effective backing vocals by Trent Reznor. "Cornflake" fared better with a much livelier vocal and interesting structure. The other big winner in this set was the ode to masturbation "Icicle." The piano playing is simply beyond words here: intuitive, graceful, and so emotional. Fantastic song. But the rest of the tracks for the most part do not connect in any meaningful way. Most of it feels like very second-rate Tori to me. Sometimes I find the rhythm sections just plodding and completely standard rock, other times Tori's vocals lack the power/passion we're used to, and the rest of the time the compositions let her down. There were some lovely string arrangements introduced for the 10-minute closer "Yes, Anastasia," but still it's more notable for its length than anything particularly exciting.

While some critics agree with me, Tori's fans (and I count myself as one) did not share my assessment. Pink was a great success for Tori. TV appearances followed and the Pink "dinner parties" (as she calls her live shows) were sold out as rock's most devoted fans ate her alive. Cindy Palmano again handled Tori's photography and art direction to fantastic results. Her presentation of Amos is just wonderful.

As the tour was winding down, new "children" were beginning to creep into Tori's consciousness. What was around the corner was the wildest Tori yet and would continue the promise of the first album. For me, "Under the Pink" would simply become that "one I don't play much anymore." I can't recommend the album beyond her fan base even though it has a few decent tracks. Not horrible, just her "least good" of the 90s albums.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#296215) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review by Slartibartfast
4 stars I almost never became interested in the music of Tori Amos. God, off this album got excessive airplay on the local alternative radio station and MTV. I found it annoying at the time. A girlfriend came into my life in 1994 who was a big fan Tori's music. She is long gone from my life, but the music of Tori still remains. It really was a pretty good year though. This album really brings me back to that time.

Like Little Earthquakes, this album really shows what a skilled keyboard player she is. Add in a somewhat quirky vocal style, clever lyrics, good looks (yeah, I know, I'm being a little sexist), and what you get is as powerhouse of a musical artist.

In addition to her wonderful keyboard playing you get really interesting lyrical lines:

Reminiscent: "Maybe a bright sunny beach is gonna bring you back" - Pretty Good Year

Inquisitive: "Will you tell her if you decide to make the sky fall will you even tell her if you decide to make the sky" - God

Ominous: "can't stop coming can't stop what is on its way" - Bells For Her

Knowledge: " I don't believe I went too far I said I was willing she said that she knew what books did not I thought she knew what's up" - Past the Mission

On time: "time thought I'd make friends with time thought we'd be flying maybe not this time" - Baker Baker

For musicians: "I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band" - The Wrong Band (Hmm, might be referring to Y Kant Tori Read.)

On working a crap job: "So I want to kill this waitress She's worked here a year longer than I If I did it fast you know that's an act of kindness" - The Waitress

Alice In Wonderland? "Rabbit where'd you put the keys girl" - Cornflake Girl

Religion and sex: "Getting Off Getting Off while they're all downstairs singing prayers sing away he's in my pumpkin p.j's" - Icicle

WTF?: "leave me with your Borneo leave me the way I was before" - Cloud on my Tongue

Invitation: "Come along now little darlin' come along now with me come along now little darlin' we'll see how brave you are"

An excellent mix of intense yet often mellow music.

So are you brave enough to come along?

Send comments to Slartibartfast (BETA) | Report this review (#297358) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 04, 2010

Review by jampa17
3 stars Another intense journey, just a Little more "pink".

Tori Amos is an impressive piano player, a wonderful singer and a very talented songwriter. After her first album LITTLE EARTHQUAKES, I think it could be tough to reach that level of songwriting, maintaining the oddities but keep it "commercial" and mainstream. Well, with this album, she proved she is not an average composer and the album is really back to back with the previous one, but it's not just more of the same.

Well, for start I have to say, if you already heard LITTLE EARTHQUAKES and liked it, it's very probable that you will like UNDER THE PINK. The formula is almost the same: piano driven songs with a lot of different textures and styles, reaching some happiness, sadness, some more dark elements but the common feeling is intensity, no matter which emotion she is projecting. Both, vocals and piano are the focus of the album and I do say it's impressive to hear her wonderful voice in a way of interpretation that I haven't heard in any other singer in all my life. Her voice sometimes is warm, sometimes sarcastic but overall sexy, and I can't describe it well.

She uses similar arrangements to LE: orchestra ensembles, standard rock band, many choruses on the back or maybe just her piano. The result is great and I'm convinced that any music lover could come in and enjoy this music, no matter the tastes. Of course, the sound of the music is not heavy, and particularly in this album Amos shows herself way much more soft than in other releases, but the intensity is there and the music has enough strength to keep you entertain.

All in all, I don't feel that this album could reach the status of a masterpiece in PA, but it's a good album that I think many would enjoy if they leave the controversy aside and just let the music speaks by itself. I think CORNFLAKE GIRL and GOD are the shinning songs in this album, but I will let the audience choose. There's a lot of music to dive in. 3 stars is fair. Not as good as LITTLE EARTHQUAKES, but pretty much OK...

Send comments to jampa17 (BETA) | Report this review (#326828) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 20, 2010

Review by J-Man
4 stars Following up a debut as impressive as Little Earthquakes is no easy feat, but Tori Amos managed to do so quite successfully with the release of 1994's Under the Pink. In addition to selling quite well, particularly in the UK and US, Tori delighted the listener with twelve more excellent art rock tunes in the same style as her 1992 debut. The music here is quirky, intelligent, sassy, and often times downright beautiful - Tori's lyricism and songwriting are clearly both at the top of their game on Under the Pink. Fans of her instantly recognizable vocals and unique brand of pop/rock are bound to love Under the Pink, and even though it is often overshadowed by some of her other efforts, this is a stellar album from beginning to end.

The music is more or less the same brand of melancholic pop/rock and mildly experimental art rock that characterized Tori's debut, and the focus is still largely on beautiful piano ballads, though there are also songs like "God", "Past the Mission", "The Waitress", "Cornflake Girl", and "Space Dog" to add plenty of variation into the mix. Though I'm not entirely convinced by "The Wrong Band" and "The Waitress", the rest of the album is absolutely top-notch. Tori's vocals are beautiful as usual, and the gentle arrangements suit the reflective songwriting perfectly. Songs like "Pretty Good Year", "Past the Mission", "Cornflake Girl", "Icicle", "Space Dog", and the nine-minute progressive epic "Yes, Anastasia" stand out as some of Amos' finest work in her entire catalog. The arrangements are among her most thoughtful, and the broken upright piano used for the recording of "Bells for Her" just shows the creativity of her not only as a performer, but also as a composer. This rather small detail changes the general mood of the song and helps further authenticate its rather cryptic lyrics and beautiful vocals.

As expected from an album of this caliber, the production and musicianship are both top-notch, with Tori's piano playing and lovely vocals often taking the cake. Though her singing style is an acquired taste, she's one of my favorite vocalists and her performances on Under the Pink are, like most other aspects of the album, nothing short of flawless. This is an ideal follow-up to Little Earthquakes, and while it doesn't do much to differentiate itself from its predecessor, this is still another great effort from Tori Amos. Under the Pink is an easy recommendation to anyone who enjoys her music, and 4 stars are very fair in this case. While I'd consider it a slight step down from her debut, I still have a great time every time I listen to this marvelous observation.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#602584) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 03, 2012

2 stars Not one of my favorite Tori Amos works, but it is one in which the comparisons to Kate Bush stand out more than on other, later works. Highlights are "God", "Past the Mission", "Baker Baker", "Space Dog", and "The Waitress". This last number has some great screaming ala Kate Bush and must have ... (read more)

Report this review (#296262) | Posted by mohaveman | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TORI AMOS "Under The Pink"