UNDER THE PINK

Trent Reznor Vocals
Jimbo Ross Viola
Eric Rosse Producer, Engineer
Nancy Roth Violin
John Philip Shenale Strings, Organ (Hammond)
Nancy Stein-Ross Cello
Francine Walsh Violin
John Wittenberg Violin

CD Atlantic 82567
LP Atlantic 82567

TORI AMOS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TORI AMOS Under The Pink Music

Under The Pink (Deluxe Edition)(2CD)Under The Pink (Deluxe Edition)(2CD)
Atlantic Catalog Group 2015
Tori Amos: Under The Pink (180g) Vinyl LPTori Amos: Under The Pink (180g) Vinyl LP
Deluxe Edition
Vinyl$28.95
Tori Stories 4 Disc Set: Ultra Rarities, Little Earthquakes Live Show, Covers & Rarities, and Under the Pink Live ShowTori Stories 4 Disc Set: Ultra Rarities, Little Earthquakes Live Show, Covers & Rarities, and Under the Pink Live Show
Under The PinkUnder The Pink
EastWest
Under The Pink - US Record Club IssueUnder The Pink - US Record Club Issue
Atlantic
Tori Amos Under the Pink 1994 Limited Pink Vinyl Edition AtlanticTori Amos Under the Pink 1994 Limited Pink Vinyl Edition Atlantic
Atlantic Records
Vinyl$299.99
Under The Pink (Deluxe Edition)(2CD) by Tori Amos (2015-04-14)Under The Pink (Deluxe Edition)(2CD) by Tori Amos (2015-04-14)
Atlantic Catalog Group
Under The Pink - US Record Club Issue by Tori Amos (0100-01-01)Under The Pink - US Record Club Issue by Tori Amos (0100-01-01)
Atlantic
2 Tori Amos Album Cassette Tapes: Under the Pink (1994) & Boys for Pele (1996) USD $2.88 [0 bids]
"Under the Pink" Tori Amos *EXCELLENT* 1994 CD USD $7.05 Buy It Now 13h 9m
Tori Amos - Under the Pink (1994) USD $4.32 Buy It Now 17h 23m
TORI AMOS [ UNDER THE PINK ] ORIGINAL CASSETTE THAI EDITION USD $29.99 Buy It Now 18h 20m
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $7.00 Buy It Now 19h 44m
Tori Amos - Under the pink - RARE Cassette Album - 1994 USD $5.77 Buy It Now 21h 12m
TORI AMOS Under the Pink VINYL LP RECORD Brand New! USD $24.98 Buy It Now 21h 31m
Tori Amos -Under The Pink - German Import 1A/1B First Pressing LP USD $35.00 [0 bids]
USD $55.00 Buy It Now
Tori Amos - Under the Pink (CD, 1994, Atlantic) RARE/OOP USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TORI AMOS UNDER THE PINK CASSETTE ALBUM ALTERNATIVE ROCK EASTWEST GERMANY USD $11.57 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos - Under The Pink (CD Album 1994) Used Very Good USD $3.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $4.95 Buy It Now 1 day
CD: TORI AMOS "Under the Pink" 1994 Atlantic; George Porter Jr, Trent Reznor + USD $3.33 Buy It Now 1 day
Tori Amos Cassette Tape Lot Under the Pink Crucify 1994 1992 USD $19.79 Buy It Now 2 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Tori Amos Under The Pink remastered 180gm vinyl LP NEW/SEALED USD $30.42 Buy It Now 2 days
TORI AMOS Under The Pink 2015 2-CD deluxe edition NEW/SEALED USD $14.44 Buy It Now 2 days
Tori Amos Under The Pink 2 CD album (Double CD) UK 081227956189 ATLANTIC USD $22.39 Buy It Now 2 days
Tori Amos Under the Pink inc Cornflake Girl + Cassette Tape - TESTED USD $7.23 Buy It Now 2 days
Tori Amos - Under the Pink 24HR POST!! USD $5.77 Buy It Now 2 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $0.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Under The Pink - Tori Amos 081227957841 (Vinyl Used Very Good) USD $19.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Tori Amos under the pink First pressing original lp pink vinyl USD $84.33 Buy It Now 3 days
Tori Amos CD Lot of 3 Boys For Pele / Under the Pink / From the Choirgirl Hotel USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
TORI AMOS Under The Pink CD 12 Track Album, 7567-82567-2 USD $7.50 Buy It Now 3 days
pop cassette tape album TORI AMOS UNDER THE PINK --lot 43 USD $5.06 Buy It Now 3 days
Under The Pink. Tori Amos. Ref: 27708 USD $4.76 Buy It Now 3 days
TORI AMOS Under the Pink CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Tori Amos 3 CD Lot Under The Pink/From The Choirgirl Hotel & Crucify***MUST SEE USD $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Tori Amos CD "Under the Pink" USD $6.79 Buy It Now 4 days
TORI AMOS UNDER THE PINK USA GOLD STAMPED PROMO CD WITH "GOD" HYPE STICKER RARE USD $12.99 [0 bids]
TORI AMOS Under The Pink CASSETTE 12 Track (7567825674) GERMAN East West 1994 USD $7.58 Buy It Now 4 days
Tori Amos- Under The Pink (180 Gram Vinyl) USD $23.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Tori Amos under the pink - CD Compact Disc USD $2.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Tori Amos - Under The Pink 12" Vinyl Lp USD $38.96 Buy It Now 4 days
TORI AMOS: Under The Pink LP (180 gram reissue, half speed master, new liner no USD $30.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Under The Pink (Deluxe Edition)(2CD) Tori Amos (Format: Audio CD) USD $19.49 Buy It Now 5 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $2.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Tori Amos Under the Pink 180g 1/2 Speed Audiophile 1st Press SEALED MINT New USD $36.90 Buy It Now 5 days
Lot of 2 CD Tori Amos Tales of a Librarian A Tori Amos Collection Under the Pink USD $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic) New SS Sealed Unopen USD $6.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994) Music CD USD $1.49 Buy It Now 5 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $4.00 Buy It Now 5 days
USED TORI AMOS TITLED "UNDER THE PINK" MUSIC CD $.99 BUY IT NOW USD $0.99 Buy It Now 5 days
CD ALBUM Tori Amos - Under the Pink USD $1.45 [0 bids]
Under the Pink [Deluxe Edition] [LP] by Tori Amos (Vinyl, Apr-2015, 2 Discs LP USD $17.99 Buy It Now 5 days
TORI AMOS Under The Pink CD 12 Track (7567825672) GERMAN East West 1994 USD $7.21 Buy It Now 6 days
TORI AMOS Under The Pink CD 12 Track (7567825672) GERMAN East Wes USD $7.21 Buy It Now 6 days
Limited Australian Tour edition, 1994 CD, Tori Amos "Under The Pink" great cond. USD $28.29 [0 bids]
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $3.00 Buy It Now 6 days
TORI AMOS - UNDER THE PINK (DELUXE EDITION) CD NEW+ USD $23.56 Buy It Now 6 days
TORI AMOS - UNDER THE PINK (REMASTERED) VINYL LP NEW+ USD $28.48 Buy It Now 6 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $2.99 Buy It Now 6 days
TORI AMOS UNDER THE PINK CD PLATINUM DISC VINYL LP FREE SHIPPING TO U.K. USD $144.56 Buy It Now 6 days
TORI AMOS UNDER THE PINK MULTI (GOLD) CD PLATINUM DISC FREE SHIPPING TO U.K. USD $289.13 Buy It Now 6 days
TORI AMOS UNDER THE PINK CD GOLD DISC VINYL LP FREE SHIPPING TO U.K. USD $130.10 Buy It Now 6 days
TORI AMOS - UNDER THE PINK - NEW DELUXE CD ALBUM USD $21.67 Buy It Now 6 days
TORI AMOS - UNDER THE PINK - NEW VINYL LP USD $28.90 Buy It Now 6 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) Like New USD $3.60 Buy It Now 6 days
Tori Amos "Under The Pink" CD USD $1.99 Buy It Now 6 days
TORI AMOS Under the Pink (CD 1994) GOD Cornflake Girl USD $2.17 [0 bids]
Under the Pink by Tori Amos MINT CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $7.98 Buy It Now 7 days
Tori Amos CD - Little Earthquakes Under The Pink Talula - Choose 1 For $1.50 USD $1.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $1.99 Buy It Now 7 days
TORI AMOS UNDER THE PINK CD ( HAS NO BACKSIDE PAPERWORK ) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Tori Amos - Under The Pink (Remastered Deluxe 2CD 2015) Brand New USD $11.99 Buy It Now 7 days
TORI AMOS Under The Pink CD 1994 (12 Tracks) NEW USD $8.31 Buy It Now 7 days
TORI AMOS - UNDER THE PINK - CD ALBUM USD $3.17 Buy It Now 7 days
tori amos under the pink factory sealed lp USD $9.99 [1 bids]
TORI AMOS**UNDER THE PINK (DELUXE/RM)**2 CD SET USD $15.50 Buy It Now 7 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $5.00 Buy It Now 7 days
TORI AMOS UNDER THE PINK MUSIC CD:1994 USD $3.75 Buy It Now 7 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $3.99 Buy It Now 8 days
CD | Tori Amos - Under The Pink USD $3.00 Buy It Now 8 days
TORI AMOS cd UNDER THE PINK free US shipping USD $10.00 Buy It Now 8 days
TORI AMOS - UNDER THE PINK - CASSETTE TAPE - EASTWEST ( USD $4.32 Buy It Now 8 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic) Pretty Good Year, Icicle USD $4.97 Buy It Now 8 days
Tori Amos - Under the Pink CD USD $9.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Tori Amos - Under the Pink (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic) USD $3.60 Buy It Now 8 days
Tori Amos - Under The Pink - Atlantic Records - Audio Cassette - 1994 USD $3.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Tori Amos / Under the Pink (CD) Merry Clayton, Trent Reznor, Jr. George Porter ! USD $0.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Tori Amos CD Lot: Little Earthquakes / Under the Pink Deluxe Editions + 2 USD $50.00 Buy It Now 9 days
TORI AMOS UNDER THE PINK CD GOLD DISC RECORD FREE P&P! USD $130.10 Buy It Now 9 days
Tori Amos - Under The Pink USD $1.43 Buy It Now 9 days
Tori Amos - Under the Pink - Music CD USD $7.16 Buy It Now 9 days
TORI AMOS CD - UNDER THE PINK Used USD $2.99 Buy It Now 9 days
TORI AMOS - UNDER THE PINK - LIMITED EDITION PINK VINYL - 1994 ATLANTIC RECORDS USD $79.99 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW - Under the Pink Tori Amos VINYL 12" Album USD $27.47 Buy It Now 9 days
Tori Amos - Under the Pink (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic) USD $5.95 Buy It Now 9 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $0.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Tori Amos Under the Pink LP vinyl record sealed 180 gram sarah mclachlan USD $24.95 Buy It Now 9 days
Tori Amos - Under the Pink CD Like New USD $14.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) USD $4.20 Buy It Now 10 days
TORI AMOS " UNDER THE PINK " CD ALBUM - UK FREEPOST USD $3.60 Buy It Now 10 days
TORI AMOS Under The Pink - 1994 EastWest - Excellent Condition USD $4.26 Buy It Now 10 days
TORI AMOS - UNDER THE PINK - LP 180gram VINYL 12" ALBUM - EU RI '15 - SEALED USD $24.78 Buy It Now 10 days
TORI AMOS - Under The Pink / Cassette Album Tape / 3825 USD $3.60 Buy It Now 10 days
Under The Pink (Deluxe Edition), 0081227956189, Tori Amos USD $23.39 Buy It Now 10 days
rare promo ? Tori Amos UNDER THE PINK bouncing off clouds acetate cassette tape USD $200.00 Buy It Now 10 days

More places to buy TORI AMOS music online Buy TORI AMOS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TORI AMOS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TORI AMOS Under The Pink ratings distribution

TORI AMOS Under The Pink reviews

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars I understand the comparisons between Tori Amos and Kate Bush. There is a distinct similarity between their vocal and songwriting styles. At least there was on Amos' first few albums (I haven't heard anything she's done since this album). But somehow too many of her songs just don't grab me. In my record store, I called her "Tori Almost".

A few songs on this album are interesting. God is not bad, in a Peter Gabriel sort of way. And the The Waitress sounds very much like a minor Kate Bush work, especially in the vocal affectations. Cornflake Girl sounds almost like Chrissie Hynde singing over a Bush arrangement. But most of the songs are just too light and uninteresting to hold my attention.

All in all, this is not a terrible album. And my copy is an LP on pink vinyl. 2.5 stars.

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Sophomore slump - the only weak 90s title

After the great success of her stunning debut album and the subsequent touring, Tori came back to the States with her dreams realized. Not only would there be a second album, but Tori already had fans so ravenous they nearly wouldn't let her off the stage after a show. She had crushed the naysayers at Peabody and the executives who laughed at her in Los Angeles. She was having the last laugh and she would be laughing for years. But for whatever reason, "Under the Pink" was a brief stumble. Tori must have read some bad reviews as she chose to defend it, saying she didn't want to repeat the "diary" of the first album. She claimed that "Earthquakes" was a diary while "Pink" was a painting requiring patient listening. She said "Earthquakes" was naked so for "Pink" she put on some clothes. But the problem with "Under the Pink" was not the lack of the first album's intimate diary confessions, the problem is that the music was uninspiring and was for the only time in the 90s one could charge....boring. It was a slump in my opinion but one that would not last long-at all.

Tori had returned to the States and wanted to record without any distractions, so she built a studio with Eric Rosse in Taos, New Mexico. Out in the middle of nowhere was the base of operation for Pink. The album sported three tracks which received wide radio play here in the Midwest, "God," "Past the Mission," and "Cornflake Girl." "God" found her taunting the creator for not the last time with the playful line "do you need a woman to look after you?" The very pop/rock track was stock and repetitive and like "Past the Mission" quickly became old with the repeated listening on radio. "Mission" was notable for including some rather toned-down but effective backing vocals by Trent Reznor. "Cornflake" fared better with a much livelier vocal and interesting structure. The other big winner in this set was the ode to masturbation "Icicle." The piano playing is simply beyond words here: intuitive, graceful, and so emotional. Fantastic song. But the rest of the tracks for the most part do not connect in any meaningful way. Most of it feels like very second-rate Tori to me. Sometimes I find the rhythm sections just plodding and completely standard rock, other times Tori's vocals lack the power/passion we're used to, and the rest of the time the compositions let her down. There were some lovely string arrangements introduced for the 10-minute closer "Yes, Anastasia," but still it's more notable for its length than anything particularly exciting.

While some critics agree with me, Tori's fans (and I count myself as one) did not share my assessment. Pink was a great success for Tori. TV appearances followed and the Pink "dinner parties" (as she calls her live shows) were sold out as rock's most devoted fans ate her alive. Cindy Palmano again handled Tori's photography and art direction to fantastic results. Her presentation of Amos is just wonderful.

As the tour was winding down, new "children" were beginning to creep into Tori's consciousness. What was around the corner was the wildest Tori yet and would continue the promise of the first album. For me, "Under the Pink" would simply become that "one I don't play much anymore." I can't recommend the album beyond her fan base even though it has a few decent tracks. Not horrible, just her "least good" of the 90s albums.

Review by Slartibartfast
4 stars I almost never became interested in the music of Tori Amos. God, off this album got excessive airplay on the local alternative radio station and MTV. I found it annoying at the time. A girlfriend came into my life in 1994 who was a big fan Tori's music. She is long gone from my life, but the music of Tori still remains. It really was a pretty good year though. This album really brings me back to that time.

Like Little Earthquakes, this album really shows what a skilled keyboard player she is. Add in a somewhat quirky vocal style, clever lyrics, good looks (yeah, I know, I'm being a little sexist), and what you get is as powerhouse of a musical artist.

In addition to her wonderful keyboard playing you get really interesting lyrical lines:

Reminiscent: "Maybe a bright sunny beach is gonna bring you back" - Pretty Good Year

Inquisitive: "Will you tell her if you decide to make the sky fall will you even tell her if you decide to make the sky" - God

Ominous: "can't stop coming can't stop what is on its way" - Bells For Her

Knowledge: " I don't believe I went too far I said I was willing she said that she knew what books did not I thought she knew what's up" - Past the Mission

On time: "time thought I'd make friends with time thought we'd be flying maybe not this time" - Baker Baker

For musicians: "I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band" - The Wrong Band (Hmm, might be referring to Y Kant Tori Read.)

On working a crap job: "So I want to kill this waitress She's worked here a year longer than I If I did it fast you know that's an act of kindness" - The Waitress

Alice In Wonderland? "Rabbit where'd you put the keys girl" - Cornflake Girl

Religion and sex: "Getting Off Getting Off while they're all downstairs singing prayers sing away he's in my pumpkin p.j's" - Icicle

WTF?: "leave me with your Borneo leave me the way I was before" - Cloud on my Tongue

Invitation: "Come along now little darlin' come along now with me come along now little darlin' we'll see how brave you are"

An excellent mix of intense yet often mellow music.

So are you brave enough to come along?

Review by jampa17
3 stars Another intense journey, just a Little more "pink".

Tori Amos is an impressive piano player, a wonderful singer and a very talented songwriter. After her first album LITTLE EARTHQUAKES, I think it could be tough to reach that level of songwriting, maintaining the oddities but keep it "commercial" and mainstream. Well, with this album, she proved she is not an average composer and the album is really back to back with the previous one, but it's not just more of the same.

Well, for start I have to say, if you already heard LITTLE EARTHQUAKES and liked it, it's very probable that you will like UNDER THE PINK. The formula is almost the same: piano driven songs with a lot of different textures and styles, reaching some happiness, sadness, some more dark elements but the common feeling is intensity, no matter which emotion she is projecting. Both, vocals and piano are the focus of the album and I do say it's impressive to hear her wonderful voice in a way of interpretation that I haven't heard in any other singer in all my life. Her voice sometimes is warm, sometimes sarcastic but overall sexy, and I can't describe it well.

She uses similar arrangements to LE: orchestra ensembles, standard rock band, many choruses on the back or maybe just her piano. The result is great and I'm convinced that any music lover could come in and enjoy this music, no matter the tastes. Of course, the sound of the music is not heavy, and particularly in this album Amos shows herself way much more soft than in other releases, but the intensity is there and the music has enough strength to keep you entertain.

All in all, I don't feel that this album could reach the status of a masterpiece in PA, but it's a good album that I think many would enjoy if they leave the controversy aside and just let the music speaks by itself. I think CORNFLAKE GIRL and GOD are the shinning songs in this album, but I will let the audience choose. There's a lot of music to dive in. 3 stars is fair. Not as good as LITTLE EARTHQUAKES, but pretty much OK...

Review by J-Man
4 stars Following up a debut as impressive as Little Earthquakes is no easy feat, but Tori Amos managed to do so quite successfully with the release of 1994's Under the Pink. In addition to selling quite well, particularly in the UK and US, Tori delighted the listener with twelve more excellent art rock tunes in the same style as her 1992 debut. The music here is quirky, intelligent, sassy, and often times downright beautiful - Tori's lyricism and songwriting are clearly both at the top of their game on Under the Pink. Fans of her instantly recognizable vocals and unique brand of pop/rock are bound to love Under the Pink, and even though it is often overshadowed by some of her other efforts, this is a stellar album from beginning to end.

The music is more or less the same brand of melancholic pop/rock and mildly experimental art rock that characterized Tori's debut, and the focus is still largely on beautiful piano ballads, though there are also songs like "God", "Past the Mission", "The Waitress", "Cornflake Girl", and "Space Dog" to add plenty of variation into the mix. Though I'm not entirely convinced by "The Wrong Band" and "The Waitress", the rest of the album is absolutely top-notch. Tori's vocals are beautiful as usual, and the gentle arrangements suit the reflective songwriting perfectly. Songs like "Pretty Good Year", "Past the Mission", "Cornflake Girl", "Icicle", "Space Dog", and the nine-minute progressive epic "Yes, Anastasia" stand out as some of Amos' finest work in her entire catalog. The arrangements are among her most thoughtful, and the broken upright piano used for the recording of "Bells for Her" just shows the creativity of her not only as a performer, but also as a composer. This rather small detail changes the general mood of the song and helps further authenticate its rather cryptic lyrics and beautiful vocals.

As expected from an album of this caliber, the production and musicianship are both top-notch, with Tori's piano playing and lovely vocals often taking the cake. Though her singing style is an acquired taste, she's one of my favorite vocalists and her performances on Under the Pink are, like most other aspects of the album, nothing short of flawless. This is an ideal follow-up to Little Earthquakes, and while it doesn't do much to differentiate itself from its predecessor, this is still another great effort from Tori Amos. Under the Pink is an easy recommendation to anyone who enjoys her music, and 4 stars are very fair in this case. While I'd consider it a slight step down from her debut, I still have a great time every time I listen to this marvelous observation.

Review by Chicapah
3 stars A while back I started to investigate Tori Amos' music and was surprised by how good her debut album was. She definitely proved herself progressive enough to warrant inclusion on this site and I found her novel and rebellious approach to being a female singer/songwriter quite refreshing. A Madonna clone she ain't. I was hoping that she'd push the envelope even harder on "Under the Pink" but she backed off a bit and I must admit I wasn't as impressed this time around. Conservatism happens often on sophomore efforts where an artist has put the material they've been fine-tuning for years on their first record and then has to come up with new stuff in a much shorter timeframe. What she does retain is her unorthodox attitude and individuality and both traits cover a lot of shortcomings.

She opens with "Pretty Good Year." Piano and vocal with a smattering of airy strings is always a good combination in my book and her sudden but very brief detour into a heavy rock motif, while jarring, shows that she's still willing to shake things up at a moment's notice. "God" is next and it's outstanding. The song benefits from a funky underlying track that toys with some uncommon and proggy time signatures and I'm always appreciative of that. The repeated lyric line of "God, sometimes you just don't come through" exploits our humanness that wants God to be what we'd prefer Him to be, not what He is. All in all it's a thought-provoking tune that delves deep. "Bells for Her" follows and Tori erects a very subtle atmosphere for this number but, alas, the lone piano and her breathy voice, expressive as they may be, are not enough to keep me engaged. "Past the Mission" is a light rocker that reminds me of Carole King (if she was into the emo thing, that is). I do like the contrasting aural textures she utilizes and the progressive mindset that permeates the song. "Baker Baker" demonstrates how adept Amos is at creating delicate templates without losing any of the tune's basic substance. Joni Mitchell's influence is all over this track and I suspect she's not trying to hide it. "The Wrong Band" sports a lilting waltz. The cut is short and sweet but far from challenging.

"The Waitress" is a highlight. I love the industrial groove of the backing rhythm and the angst in her voice is honest and forthright. "Cornflake Girl" is another interesting number. The strong attack her band delivers brightens the mood and the song contains plenty of the cool quirks in the arrangement that sets her apart from the norm. I detect an invigorating hint of Annie Lennox in her voice during the second half and Tori's piano work is noteworthy and exciting. "Icicle" is next. The minimalist, fragile aura of the opening builds suspense but it fails to deliver when the subsequent recital-like vocal-with-piano performance enters. A track can grow ponderous in a hurry and this tune suffers from that tendency. "Cloud on my Tongue" follows. Fluid strings help to fill in the blanks left by the piano but Ms. Amos sometimes gets so intimate (as she does here) that I start sensing that I've intruded on one of her private therapy sessions and I just want to leave her alone. "Space Dog" is well-placed. A live recording with her band in tow, its jazzy foundation enables this tune to generate some much-needed energy and the tightly executed dynamics are intriguing. Tori's willingness to change direction in midstream is one of the things I like most about her. She closes with the nine and a half minute "Yes, Anastasia." I'm so rhythm-oriented in my listening preferences that it's hard for me to be objective about numbers like this one that just float along and set my mind to wandering where it will go. It's the same problem I have with some of Joni Mitchell's early material in that I have to be in a specific emotional state in order to fully appreciate and stay connected to the artistry involved. The stirring orchestral score is a pleasant intervention, though.

"Under the Pink" was released in January of 1994 when the music world was weaning itself off the MTV teat and the disc found a more receptive audience to her oddness than it would have a decade earlier, that's for sure. As with her "Little Earthquakes" CD, it did better over in the more accommodating UK where it went all the way to #1. It fared in a fairly respectable manner stateside, too, reaching the #12 spot and that's nothing to sniff at. Having sold over 2 million copies to date, it means that most will disagree with my deeming it to be not as good as her debut but I can live with that. It's not a bad record at all. I do like piano in my prog and her voice is unique so I look forward to exploring more of her catalog of work in the future. 3.2 stars.

2 stars Not one of my favorite Tori Amos works, but it is one in which the comparisons to Kate Bush stand out more than on other, later works. Highlights are "God", "Past the Mission", "Baker Baker", "Space Dog", and "The Waitress". This last number has some great screaming ala Kate Bush and must have ... (read more)

Report this review (#296262) | Posted by mohaveman | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TORI AMOS "Under The Pink"