UNDER THE PINK

Trent Reznor Vocals
Jimbo Ross Viola
Eric Rosse Producer, Engineer
Nancy Roth Violin
John Philip Shenale Strings, Organ (Hammond)
Nancy Stein-Ross Cello
Francine Walsh Violin
John Wittenberg Violin

CD Atlantic 82567
LP Atlantic 82567

TORI AMOS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TORI AMOS Under The Pink Music

Unrepentant Geraldines (Deluxe Edition)Unrepentant Geraldines (Deluxe Edition)
Mercury Classics 2014
Atlantic 1996
Piano: The CollectionPiano: The Collection
Box set
Atlantic 2006
THE FEMALE TOUCH 2CD Tori Amos Jewel Corrs Moloko Linda Ronstadt Bette Midler ++ US $6.07 Buy It Now 41m 43s
Tori Amos: Crucify ~ sealed ~ cassette tape ~ 4c US $7.50 Buy It Now 46m 16s
TORI AMOS Scarlet's Walk CD, 2002, VG US $2.99 Buy It Now 55m 59s
Professional Widow [US] [Maxi Single] by Tori Amos (CD, Jul-1996, Atlantic... US $2.65 Buy It Now 57m 25s
TORI AMOS CD SINGLE SILENT ALL THESE YEARS DIGIPAK US $0.99 [0 bids]
1h
TORI AMOS Winter [#1] [Digipak Maxi Single] Limited Edition 1991 Oop CD 5 Track US $11.19 Buy It Now 1h 11m
TORI AMOS - Little Earthquakes (UK 12 Tk 1992 CD Album) US $5.60 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk (CD 2004) US $6.40 Buy It Now 2h 2m
TORI AMOS scarce USA 7" 45 CRUEL~RASPBERRY SWIRL, remixes on Atlantic US $10.80 Buy It Now 2h 38m
TORI AMOS Little Earthquakes CD, 1992 US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Tori Amos - Strange Little Girls - NEW Sealed CD US $8.95 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic) 40% Donation included US $3.99 [0 bids]
Strange Little Girls by Tori Amos (CD, Sep-2001, Atlantic) 40% Donation included US $3.99 [0 bids]
Crucify [EP] by Tori Amos (CD, May-1992, Atlantic (Label)) US $1.00 [0 bids]
Boys for Pele by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1996, Atlantic (Label)) ***NO CASE*** US $2.49 Buy It Now 3h 21m
The Beekeeper by Tori Amos (CD, Feb-2005, Epic (USA)) original release EX/NM! US $5.00 [0 bids]
Tori Amos : To Venus and Back [+ Live album] (2CDs) (1999) US $5.54 Buy It Now 3h 43m
TORI AMOS - UNDER THE PINK - CD - USED VG US $1.99 Buy It Now 3h 50m
KFOG V. 7 New Sealed CD Live Radio Tori Amos Squeeze Counting Crows Satriani US $55.00 Buy It Now 3h 59m
KFOG V. 10 New Sealed CD Live Radio Joe Jackson Browne Tori Amos Coldplay O.A.R. US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Tori Amos Under the Pink NM original German Pressing US $49.99 [0 bids]
Tori Amos Little Earthquakes NM original German Pressing US $49.99 [1 bids]
TORI AMOS - From the Choirgirl Hotel (CD, May-1998, Atlantic (Label)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Maximum Audio Biography: Tori Amos US $5.18 Buy It Now 4h 15m
TORI AMOS - Under the Pink (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 21m
TORI AMOS - NIGHT OF HUNTERS NEW CD US $20.33 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Tales of a Librarian: A Tori Amos Collection by Tori Amos (CD) BONUS DVD RARE US $7.88 Buy It Now 4h 39m
TORI AMOS - LITTLE EARTHQUAKES - ORIGINAL EASTWEST GERMAN LP VG++ 7567 82358-1 US $36.00 [10 bids]
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $0.10 [0 bids]
Tori Amos-1000 Oceans Promo CD w/ picture cover & back insert. US $3.00 Buy It Now 6h 3m
Tori Amos Unrepentant Geraldines NEW vinyl Sealed US $23.50 Buy It Now 6h 50m
TORI AMOS - STRANGE LITTLE GIRLS 3 TR GE CDSINGLE VERY RARE SEALED US $29.95 Buy It Now 6h 58m
Tori Amos: A Piano The Collection Box Set (NEW-SEALED) US $89.00 [0 bids]
TORI AMOS - 1000 OCEANS 3 TR GE CDSINGLE RARE US $11.95 Buy It Now 7h
TORI AMOS - GLORY OF THE 80'S 3 TR GE CDSINGLE RARE CD1 US $9.95 Buy It Now 7h 4m
TORI AMOS - GLORY OF THE 80'S 3 TR GE CDSINGLE RARE CD2 US $9.95 Buy It Now 7h 5m
TORI AMOS - SPARK 2 TR GE CDSINGLE RARE PROMO US $14.95 Buy It Now 7h 12m
TORI AMOS - SPARK 4 TR GE CDSINGLE RARE US $11.95 Buy It Now 7h 14m
Spark, Pt. 2 [Maxi Single] by Tori Amos (CD, Jun-1998, Atlantic (Label)) US $4.00 [0 bids]
Under the Pink by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $1.74 [0 bids]
kate bush The Whole Story cassette tape tori amos bowie pj harvey bjork siouxsie US $0.99 [2 bids]
Tori Amos - Boys for Pele CD - Exc Condition US $3.08 Buy It Now 8h 42m
TORI AMOS Unrepentant Geraldines NEW SEALED CD TROUBLE'S LAMENT 2014 US $7.95 Buy It Now 8h 57m
CD TORI AMOS SCARLET'S WALK 2002 US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Tori Amos Dew Drop Inn Boulder Last Night of Tour 1996 Limited Double CD US $29.99 [0 bids]
Tori Amos Saviour Beneath These Dirty Sheets '92 & '93 Shows CD US $29.99 [0 bids]
Scarlet's Walk, Tori Amos, Good US $3.99 Buy It Now 10h
CD Tori Amos 98 Pages Full Colour Book & Picture Cd Audio Documentary On VG+ US $6.99 [0 bids]
TORI AMOS [CD] BOYS FOR PELE US $10.52 Buy It Now 11h 37m
Tori Amos - Winter 5 Track CD Single Digipak US $3.48 Buy It Now 12h 30m
Tori Amos 12" vinyl single BfP Springtime Voodoo Boys Pele excellent condition US $9.20 [0 bids]
Tori Amos - Gold Dust CD US $20.97 Buy It Now 13h 28m
Emmylou Harris / Clannad / Tori Amos / Cher / Sarah McLachlan / Eurythmics 4xCD US $11.24 Buy It Now 13h 28m
TORI AMOS CRUCIFY LP BRAZIL ONLY 1992 MR. BIG TO BE WITH YOU - ALPHAVILE US $38.98 Buy It Now 13h 44m
TORI AMOS LITTLE EARTHQUAKES CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $160.50 Buy It Now 13h 55m
TORI AMOS LITTLE EARTHQUAKES MULTI (GOLD) CD PLATINUM DISC FREE POSTAGE!! US $224.71 Buy It Now 13h 55m
TORI AMOS LITTLE EARTHQUAKES CD US $4.23 Buy It Now 14h
Tori Amos Little Earthquakes Perfect Cd US $6.73 Buy It Now 14h 30m
TORI AMOS - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF T6) US $11.16 Buy It Now 15h 16m
TORI AMOS From The Choirgirl Hotel CD BRAND NEW US $11.21 Buy It Now 15h 17m
Tori Amos - In The Springtime of His Voodoo 5 mixes US US $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 31m
Tori Amos: Abnormally attracted to sin (2009) CD OBI TAIWAN US $23.99 Buy It Now 15h 33m
Tales of a Librarian: A Tori Amos Collection by Tori Amos (CD, Nov-2003) NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 39m
Tori Amos - Professional widow - 1996 5 track European CD US $9.62 Buy It Now 15h 53m
Tori Amos - Hey Jupiter/ Professional Widow - The Dakota Version UK 4 track CD US $8.01 Buy It Now 15h 53m
Tori Amos - Winter - Limited Edition USA 5 trk CD US $11.22 Buy It Now 15h 53m
Tori Amos - Silent All These Years - USA 2 track CD US $11.22 Buy It Now 15h 53m
Tori Amos - Cornflake Girl - Deleted UK CD 1 US $8.01 Buy It Now 15h 53m
Tori Amos - Strange Little Girl - Rare UK promo CD US $12.83 Buy It Now 15h 53m
Tori Amos - Winter - Scarce UK CD 1 US $9.62 Buy It Now 15h 53m
Tori Amos - Gold Dust - 4779427 US $20.51 Buy It Now 16h 31m
TORI AMOS In The Springtime Of His Voodoo 12" Single STILL SEALED Atlantic 1996 US $29.95 Buy It Now 17h 49m
Tori Amos - Tales of a Librarian (A Collection) (CD) US $4.30 Buy It Now 18h 47m
Tori Amos - Crucify Original UK 7" Vinyl Single Mint US $24.08 Buy It Now 19h 22m
Tori Amos - God Un-played UK 7" Vinyl Picture Disc US $19.26 Buy It Now 19h 23m
Tori Amos - Silent all these years Un-played 7" vinyl single US $24.08 Buy It Now 19h 24m
Tori Amos Concertina CD single (CD5 / 5") USA 84651-2 ATLANTIC US $8.03 Buy It Now 19h 36m
Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos (CD, Feb-1992) US $4.00 Buy It Now 19h 38m
BT ft TORI AMOS Blue Skies UK 12" 1996 US $11.24 Buy It Now 19h 41m
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes (1992) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $7.82 Buy It Now 19h 45m
Tori Amos - Boys For Pele (1996) {CD Album} 0514-CB-70 US $7.21 Buy It Now 19h 48m
TORI AMOS 'UNDER THE PINK' BLACK VINYL180G DUTCH IMPORT NEW COLLECTIBLE! US $39.99 [0 bids]
Tori Amos - Unrepentant Geraldines - 4810902 US $29.60 Buy It Now 20h 21m
Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1992, Atlantic (Label)) US $5.85 Buy It Now 20h 39m
Tori Amos - Video Collection: Fade to Red *New DVD* US $12.00 Buy It Now 20h 39m
Gold Dust by Tori Amos (CD, Oct-2012, Deutsche Grammophon) US $12.04 Buy It Now 20h 40m
CD: TORI AMOS "Under the Pink" 1994 Atlantic; George Porter Jr, Trent Reznor + US $2.82 Buy It Now 20h 41m
Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1992, Atlantic (Label)) US $8.25 Buy It Now 20h 45m
Midwinter Graces - Tori Amos New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $22.06 Buy It Now 20h 48m
* TORI AMOS - Crucify [5 TRACK EP] US $1.00 Buy It Now 21h 9m
Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1992, Atlantic (Label)) US $1.50 [0 bids]
Night of Hunters by Tori Amos *New CD* US $10.44 Buy It Now 22h 7m
Tori Amos: Night of Hunters (2011) CD & DVD OBI TAIWAN US $30.99 Buy It Now 22h 7m
Unrepentant Geraldines - Tori Amos Deluxe ed. US $21.99 Buy It Now 22h 10m
BT Featuring Tori Amos ?- Blue Skies US $6.40 Buy It Now 22h 10m
Tori Amos - Live At Montreux - New Sealed CD 1991 & 1992 US $9.99 Buy It Now 22h 11m
Scarlet's Walk Tori Amos CD **BRAND NEW* US $8.22 Buy It Now 22h 14m
Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos (CD, Jan-1992, Atlantic (Label)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 22h 15m
Live at Montreux 1991 & 1992 by Tori Amos (CD, Sep-2008, Eagle Rock (USA)) US $7.58 Buy It Now 22h 34m

More places to buy TORI AMOS music online Buy TORI AMOS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TORI AMOS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TORI AMOS Under The Pink ratings distribution

TORI AMOS Under The Pink reviews

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars I understand the comparisons between Tori Amos and Kate Bush. There is a distinct similarity between their vocal and songwriting styles. At least there was on Amos' first few albums (I haven't heard anything she's done since this album). But somehow too many of her songs just don't grab me. In my record store, I called her "Tori Almost".

A few songs on this album are interesting. God is not bad, in a Peter Gabriel sort of way. And the The Waitress sounds very much like a minor Kate Bush work, especially in the vocal affectations. Cornflake Girl sounds almost like Chrissie Hynde singing over a Bush arrangement. But most of the songs are just too light and uninteresting to hold my attention.

All in all, this is not a terrible album. And my copy is an LP on pink vinyl. 2.5 stars.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#295538) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 20, 2010

Review by Finnforest
2 stars Sophomore slump - the only weak 90s title

After the great success of her stunning debut album and the subsequent touring, Tori came back to the States with her dreams realized. Not only would there be a second album, but Tori already had fans so ravenous they nearly wouldn't let her off the stage after a show. She had crushed the naysayers at Peabody and the executives who laughed at her in Los Angeles. She was having the last laugh and she would be laughing for years. But for whatever reason, "Under the Pink" was a brief stumble. Tori must have read some bad reviews as she chose to defend it, saying she didn't want to repeat the "diary" of the first album. She claimed that "Earthquakes" was a diary while "Pink" was a painting requiring patient listening. She said "Earthquakes" was naked so for "Pink" she put on some clothes. But the problem with "Under the Pink" was not the lack of the first album's intimate diary confessions, the problem is that the music was uninspiring and was for the only time in the 90s one could charge....boring. It was a slump in my opinion but one that would not last long-at all.

Tori had returned to the States and wanted to record without any distractions, so she built a studio with Eric Rosse in Taos, New Mexico. Out in the middle of nowhere was the base of operation for Pink. The album sported three tracks which received wide radio play here in the Midwest, "God," "Past the Mission," and "Cornflake Girl." "God" found her taunting the creator for not the last time with the playful line "do you need a woman to look after you?" The very pop/rock track was stock and repetitive and like "Past the Mission" quickly became old with the repeated listening on radio. "Mission" was notable for including some rather toned-down but effective backing vocals by Trent Reznor. "Cornflake" fared better with a much livelier vocal and interesting structure. The other big winner in this set was the ode to masturbation "Icicle." The piano playing is simply beyond words here: intuitive, graceful, and so emotional. Fantastic song. But the rest of the tracks for the most part do not connect in any meaningful way. Most of it feels like very second-rate Tori to me. Sometimes I find the rhythm sections just plodding and completely standard rock, other times Tori's vocals lack the power/passion we're used to, and the rest of the time the compositions let her down. There were some lovely string arrangements introduced for the 10-minute closer "Yes, Anastasia," but still it's more notable for its length than anything particularly exciting.

While some critics agree with me, Tori's fans (and I count myself as one) did not share my assessment. Pink was a great success for Tori. TV appearances followed and the Pink "dinner parties" (as she calls her live shows) were sold out as rock's most devoted fans ate her alive. Cindy Palmano again handled Tori's photography and art direction to fantastic results. Her presentation of Amos is just wonderful.

As the tour was winding down, new "children" were beginning to creep into Tori's consciousness. What was around the corner was the wildest Tori yet and would continue the promise of the first album. For me, "Under the Pink" would simply become that "one I don't play much anymore." I can't recommend the album beyond her fan base even though it has a few decent tracks. Not horrible, just her "least good" of the 90s albums.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#296215) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review by Slartibartfast
4 stars I almost never became interested in the music of Tori Amos. God, off this album got excessive airplay on the local alternative radio station and MTV. I found it annoying at the time. A girlfriend came into my life in 1994 who was a big fan Tori's music. She is long gone from my life, but the music of Tori still remains. It really was a pretty good year though. This album really brings me back to that time.

Like Little Earthquakes, this album really shows what a skilled keyboard player she is. Add in a somewhat quirky vocal style, clever lyrics, good looks (yeah, I know, I'm being a little sexist), and what you get is as powerhouse of a musical artist.

In addition to her wonderful keyboard playing you get really interesting lyrical lines:

Reminiscent: "Maybe a bright sunny beach is gonna bring you back" - Pretty Good Year

Inquisitive: "Will you tell her if you decide to make the sky fall will you even tell her if you decide to make the sky" - God

Ominous: "can't stop coming can't stop what is on its way" - Bells For Her

Knowledge: " I don't believe I went too far I said I was willing she said that she knew what books did not I thought she knew what's up" - Past the Mission

On time: "time thought I'd make friends with time thought we'd be flying maybe not this time" - Baker Baker

For musicians: "I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band" - The Wrong Band (Hmm, might be referring to Y Kant Tori Read.)

On working a crap job: "So I want to kill this waitress She's worked here a year longer than I If I did it fast you know that's an act of kindness" - The Waitress

Alice In Wonderland? "Rabbit where'd you put the keys girl" - Cornflake Girl

Religion and sex: "Getting Off Getting Off while they're all downstairs singing prayers sing away he's in my pumpkin p.j's" - Icicle

WTF?: "leave me with your Borneo leave me the way I was before" - Cloud on my Tongue

Invitation: "Come along now little darlin' come along now with me come along now little darlin' we'll see how brave you are"

An excellent mix of intense yet often mellow music.

So are you brave enough to come along?

Send comments to Slartibartfast (BETA) | Report this review (#297358) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 04, 2010

Review by jampa17
3 stars Another intense journey, just a Little more "pink".

Tori Amos is an impressive piano player, a wonderful singer and a very talented songwriter. After her first album LITTLE EARTHQUAKES, I think it could be tough to reach that level of songwriting, maintaining the oddities but keep it "commercial" and mainstream. Well, with this album, she proved she is not an average composer and the album is really back to back with the previous one, but it's not just more of the same.

Well, for start I have to say, if you already heard LITTLE EARTHQUAKES and liked it, it's very probable that you will like UNDER THE PINK. The formula is almost the same: piano driven songs with a lot of different textures and styles, reaching some happiness, sadness, some more dark elements but the common feeling is intensity, no matter which emotion she is projecting. Both, vocals and piano are the focus of the album and I do say it's impressive to hear her wonderful voice in a way of interpretation that I haven't heard in any other singer in all my life. Her voice sometimes is warm, sometimes sarcastic but overall sexy, and I can't describe it well.

She uses similar arrangements to LE: orchestra ensembles, standard rock band, many choruses on the back or maybe just her piano. The result is great and I'm convinced that any music lover could come in and enjoy this music, no matter the tastes. Of course, the sound of the music is not heavy, and particularly in this album Amos shows herself way much more soft than in other releases, but the intensity is there and the music has enough strength to keep you entertain.

All in all, I don't feel that this album could reach the status of a masterpiece in PA, but it's a good album that I think many would enjoy if they leave the controversy aside and just let the music speaks by itself. I think CORNFLAKE GIRL and GOD are the shinning songs in this album, but I will let the audience choose. There's a lot of music to dive in. 3 stars is fair. Not as good as LITTLE EARTHQUAKES, but pretty much OK...

Send comments to jampa17 (BETA) | Report this review (#326828) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 20, 2010

Review by J-Man
4 stars Following up a debut as impressive as Little Earthquakes is no easy feat, but Tori Amos managed to do so quite successfully with the release of 1994's Under the Pink. In addition to selling quite well, particularly in the UK and US, Tori delighted the listener with twelve more excellent art rock tunes in the same style as her 1992 debut. The music here is quirky, intelligent, sassy, and often times downright beautiful - Tori's lyricism and songwriting are clearly both at the top of their game on Under the Pink. Fans of her instantly recognizable vocals and unique brand of pop/rock are bound to love Under the Pink, and even though it is often overshadowed by some of her other efforts, this is a stellar album from beginning to end.

The music is more or less the same brand of melancholic pop/rock and mildly experimental art rock that characterized Tori's debut, and the focus is still largely on beautiful piano ballads, though there are also songs like "God", "Past the Mission", "The Waitress", "Cornflake Girl", and "Space Dog" to add plenty of variation into the mix. Though I'm not entirely convinced by "The Wrong Band" and "The Waitress", the rest of the album is absolutely top-notch. Tori's vocals are beautiful as usual, and the gentle arrangements suit the reflective songwriting perfectly. Songs like "Pretty Good Year", "Past the Mission", "Cornflake Girl", "Icicle", "Space Dog", and the nine-minute progressive epic "Yes, Anastasia" stand out as some of Amos' finest work in her entire catalog. The arrangements are among her most thoughtful, and the broken upright piano used for the recording of "Bells for Her" just shows the creativity of her not only as a performer, but also as a composer. This rather small detail changes the general mood of the song and helps further authenticate its rather cryptic lyrics and beautiful vocals.

As expected from an album of this caliber, the production and musicianship are both top-notch, with Tori's piano playing and lovely vocals often taking the cake. Though her singing style is an acquired taste, she's one of my favorite vocalists and her performances on Under the Pink are, like most other aspects of the album, nothing short of flawless. This is an ideal follow-up to Little Earthquakes, and while it doesn't do much to differentiate itself from its predecessor, this is still another great effort from Tori Amos. Under the Pink is an easy recommendation to anyone who enjoys her music, and 4 stars are very fair in this case. While I'd consider it a slight step down from her debut, I still have a great time every time I listen to this marvelous observation.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#602584) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Review by Chicapah
3 stars A while back I started to investigate Tori Amos' music and was surprised by how good her debut album was. She definitely proved herself progressive enough to warrant inclusion on this site and I found her novel and rebellious approach to being a female singer/songwriter quite refreshing. A Madonna clone she ain't. I was hoping that she'd push the envelope even harder on "Under the Pink" but she backed off a bit and I must admit I wasn't as impressed this time around. Conservatism happens often on sophomore efforts where an artist has put the material they've been fine-tuning for years on their first record and then has to come up with new stuff in a much shorter timeframe. What she does retain is her unorthodox attitude and individuality and both traits cover a lot of shortcomings.

She opens with "Pretty Good Year." Piano and vocal with a smattering of airy strings is always a good combination in my book and her sudden but very brief detour into a heavy rock motif, while jarring, shows that she's still willing to shake things up at a moment's notice. "God" is next and it's outstanding. The song benefits from a funky underlying track that toys with some uncommon and proggy time signatures and I'm always appreciative of that. The repeated lyric line of "God, sometimes you just don't come through" exploits our humanness that wants God to be what we'd prefer Him to be, not what He is. All in all it's a thought-provoking tune that delves deep. "Bells for Her" follows and Tori erects a very subtle atmosphere for this number but, alas, the lone piano and her breathy voice, expressive as they may be, are not enough to keep me engaged. "Past the Mission" is a light rocker that reminds me of Carole King (if she was into the emo thing, that is). I do like the contrasting aural textures she utilizes and the progressive mindset that permeates the song. "Baker Baker" demonstrates how adept Amos is at creating delicate templates without losing any of the tune's basic substance. Joni Mitchell's influence is all over this track and I suspect she's not trying to hide it. "The Wrong Band" sports a lilting waltz. The cut is short and sweet but far from challenging.

"The Waitress" is a highlight. I love the industrial groove of the backing rhythm and the angst in her voice is honest and forthright. "Cornflake Girl" is another interesting number. The strong attack her band delivers brightens the mood and the song contains plenty of the cool quirks in the arrangement that sets her apart from the norm. I detect an invigorating hint of Annie Lennox in her voice during the second half and Tori's piano work is noteworthy and exciting. "Icicle" is next. The minimalist, fragile aura of the opening builds suspense but it fails to deliver when the subsequent recital-like vocal-with-piano performance enters. A track can grow ponderous in a hurry and this tune suffers from that tendency. "Cloud on my Tongue" follows. Fluid strings help to fill in the blanks left by the piano but Ms. Amos sometimes gets so intimate (as she does here) that I start sensing that I've intruded on one of her private therapy sessions and I just want to leave her alone. "Space Dog" is well-placed. A live recording with her band in tow, its jazzy foundation enables this tune to generate some much-needed energy and the tightly executed dynamics are intriguing. Tori's willingness to change direction in midstream is one of the things I like most about her. She closes with the nine and a half minute "Yes, Anastasia." I'm so rhythm-oriented in my listening preferences that it's hard for me to be objective about numbers like this one that just float along and set my mind to wandering where it will go. It's the same problem I have with some of Joni Mitchell's early material in that I have to be in a specific emotional state in order to fully appreciate and stay connected to the artistry involved. The stirring orchestral score is a pleasant intervention, though.

"Under the Pink" was released in January of 1994 when the music world was weaning itself off the MTV teat and the disc found a more receptive audience to her oddness than it would have a decade earlier, that's for sure. As with her "Little Earthquakes" CD, it did better over in the more accommodating UK where it went all the way to #1. It fared in a fairly respectable manner stateside, too, reaching the #12 spot and that's nothing to sniff at. Having sold over 2 million copies to date, it means that most will disagree with my deeming it to be not as good as her debut but I can live with that. It's not a bad record at all. I do like piano in my prog and her voice is unique so I look forward to exploring more of her catalog of work in the future. 3.2 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#1239263) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 09, 2014

2 stars Not one of my favorite Tori Amos works, but it is one in which the comparisons to Kate Bush stand out more than on other, later works. Highlights are "God", "Past the Mission", "Baker Baker", "Space Dog", and "The Waitress". This last number has some great screaming ala Kate Bush and must have ... (read more)

Report this review (#296262) | Posted by mohaveman | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TORI AMOS "Under The Pink"