CRUSADER

3. Lamentation (1:08)
4. Crusader (6:19)
5. Abide with Me (2:05)
6. Baldwin (3:18)
7. I Cried for You (2:25)
8. Exceptional Friend (7:00)
9. The Knights Templar (2:55)
10. Montgisard (10:23)
11. After All (4:12)

Total time 45:48

Search SURVIVAL Crusader lyrics

Search SURVIVAL Crusader tabs

- Jack Langevelt / keyboards, bass, drums
- David Dexter / guitars

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

SURVIVAL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SURVIVAL Crusader Music

Simmer DownSimmer Down
Strawberry Rain 2014
SurvivalSurvival
Thrill Jockey 2013
Drinking Electricity - Good Times UK 45 7" Survival Records 1982 Synthpop US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Jane Getz 12" Survival of the Hippest EXTENDED/RADIO/DUB original 1986 US $12.20 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Leroy Jenkins -Space Minds, New Worlds, Survival - NEW CD US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Survival LP - ISLAND rare reggae US $20.00 [0 bids]
Survival Of The Fittest Live - Ted Nugent & The Amboy Dukes LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS - SURVIVAL LP VG US $4.99 [1 bids]
Survival - The O'Jays LP IN SHRINK US $4.99 [0 bids]
Severed Survival Autopsy Vinyl LP US $42.98 Buy It Now 3h 58m
From Sacrifice to Survival [PA] by Skinless (CD, Jun-2003, Relapse Records... US $9.99 [0 bids]
Various: SURVIVAL IS KILLING ME! Second Useless Records Compilation 1994 SEALED US $95.00 Buy It Now 4h 10m
ACTION PACT - SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST - RARE LP US $52.13 Buy It Now 4h 18m
TED NUGENT & THE AMBOY DUKES-Survival of the Fittest-1971-Vinyl LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD SURVIVAL 7 1/2 TAPE SPEED US $39.99 [0 bids]
Ultimate Party Survival Kit (CD, Sep-1995, Risky Business) US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h
Drinking Electricity Overload survival lp '82 nm vinyl! US $220.00 Buy It Now 6h 30m
"The Only Law Is Survival" HATE PLOW - MALEVOLENT CREATION, SUFFOCATION, NAPALM US $6.50 Buy It Now 7h 15m
REGGIE LUCAS SURVIVAL THEMES / EAST WIND US $39.99 Buy It Now 7h 34m
The Art of Survival by Billy Sherwood (CD, Oct-2012, CD Baby (distributor)) US $28.00 Buy It Now 8h 52m
OSIBISA FUNK MEXICAN EP 1972 RENACIMIENTO (SURVIVAL)/WOYAYA/MUEVETE (MOVE ONE) US $3.99 Buy It Now 9h 13m
THE O'JAYS LP SURVIVAL/PHILADELPHIA INT'L REC. 1975 VG+ US $7.98 Buy It Now 9h 20m
Survival Sounds Treponem Pal CD US $26.92 Buy It Now 11h 38m
Mad Sin - Survival Of The Sickest CD COBRA US $16.63 Buy It Now 11h 42m
LUCKY COUNTRY SURVIVAL BAND "INSTANT NUCLEAR NATION" 7" 45 RECORD P/S US $11.21 Buy It Now 12h 3m
MESSIAH...SURVIVAL OF THE FETUS...RUBBABANDZ...PURPLE RAIN...NY INDY UNDERGROUND US $58.81 Buy It Now 12h 46m
TED NUGENT Survival Of The Fittest / Marriage On The Rocks DLP Amboy Dukes Seger US $11.77 Buy It Now 13h 21m
Autopsy - Severed Survival [Vinyl New] US $65.70 Buy It Now 13h 31m
Grand Funk Survival in shrink! US $10.00 [0 bids]
Leveler (Survival Box) August Burns Red CD US $20.43 Buy It Now 16h 52m
Traces of Me Survival Knife 7 Inch Vinyl US $5.98 Buy It Now 16h 52m
CAPERCAILLIE coisich a ruin 7" PS EX/EX uk survival US $11.75 Buy It Now 18h 13m
"Survival 2000" RARE 1994 CD Dreadzone / The Grid / Drum Club Ambient-Dub LISTEN US $10.49 Buy It Now 18h 40m
Survival Skills [PA] by KRS-One (CD, Jan-2009, Duck ... US $4.99 Buy It Now 19h
Survival by Stefanie Fix (CD, May-2000, Hand to Mouth Recordings) US $7.99 Buy It Now 19h 9m
Survival - Survival NEW CD US $12.81 Buy It Now 19h 50m
Survival Knife - Traces Of Me B/w Name That Tune NEW 7" US $5.78 Buy It Now 19h 51m
THIRTEEN AT MIDNIGHT Climb down 7" Survival SUR011 US $10.07 Buy It Now 20h 59m
INSTINCT OF SURVIVAL Cassette Hellhammer Antisect Effigy Doom Botl Thrower Zoe US $6.00 Buy It Now 21h 23m
Survival Story by Flobots (CD, May-2010, Universal Republic Records) US $1.99 [0 bids]
KRS-ONE - SURVIVAL SKILLS [PA] - NEW CD US $14.31 Buy It Now 22h 48m
The O'Jays~Let me make love to you/Survival~ US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Grand Funk Survival SW764 R VG- C EX (LP-7789) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FOREST FIRE**SURVIVAL**VINYL US $18.23 Buy It Now 1 day
Guide to Survival by Lostribe US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Dispute - Survival Of The Sickest. Oop 2000 Metal Independent Release Hard To Fi US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Jon Anderson - Survival And Other Stories NEW CD US $20.29 Buy It Now 1 day
System of Survival Needle and Thread Card sleeve Advance Copy CD New EU US $9.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Earth, Wind & Fire's System Of Survival 12" Single Vinyl LP Record Album US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
T-Weaponz - Survival Muzik Mixtape Vol. 2 - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $8.97 Buy It Now 1 day
The O'jays Survival b/w Let Me Make Love To You Promo on PIR 45-rpm Record US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Abenteuer Survival - Season 6 (DVD) US $40.98 Buy It Now 1 day
KALI - SURVIVAL [CD NEW] US $23.73 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival of the Illest: Live from 125 NYC [PA] by Various Artists (CD, Mar-2005, US $0.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pick Your Side,NEW 7" Vinyl Single,Survival Prayer,Bent Corner US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Survival / TH Cassette US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival & Resistance Adrian Sherwood Vinyl LP US $21.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival Of The Fittest / Vari - Survival Of The Fittest / Vari (1990) - Us US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
DOCTORS OF MADNESS SONS OF SURVIVAL +3 1978 JAPAN mini lp CD 24BIT SEALED US $20.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival Vinyl LP US $21.92 Buy It Now 1 day
A Sides - Survival / Shine Light 12" W/Lbl US $10.51 Buy It Now 1 day
A Sides - Survival / Shine Light 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 1 day
Sanchez,David Cultural Survival CD NEW US $11.08 Buy It Now 1 day
America Alibi CD RARE OOP Survival Hangover Bunnell US $26.11 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY NUMAN-THIS IS LOVE /SURVIVAL-UK 7" PS 1986 US $3.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Survival [Remastered] (CD 2001) US $8.32 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival [LP] by Survival (Vinyl, May-2013, Thrill Jockey Records) new US $21.85 Buy It Now 1 day
Natay - Place Called Survival (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Gasr - Survival Of The Fittest [CD New] US $8.28 Buy It Now 1 day
D. RAIL petrol sunset 12" 2 track b/w extended (surt35) - survival 1985 US $9.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Earth, Wind & Fire - System Of Survival 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 1 day
Saliva - Survival Of The Sickest (R) (2004) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Soundtrack - Survivor Party Survival Kit (2000) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Grand Funk - Survival - LP Record Album 33.3 (1/3) - SW-764 US $4.24 [0 bids]
Cultural Survival by David Sanchez (Saxophone) (CD, Jun-2008, Concord) US $1.00 [0 bids]
LP - FRANCE PRESS - DOCTORS OF MADNESS (SONS OF SURVIVAL)-1978- POLYDOR 2383 472 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Zz/Various Artists - Survival Of The Ille (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
The Headhunters - Survival of the Fittest / Herbie Hancock US $4.99 [0 bids]
Survival - the Music of Nature US $8.71 Buy It Now 1 day
Zz/Various Artists - Survival Of The Fittest (2000) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Saliva - Survival Of The Sickest (Clean (2004) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1 day
GRAND FUNK "SURVIVAL" LP MONO STEREO CAPITOL CHILE 1971 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival 2000 US $11.67 Buy It Now 1 day
Earth, Wind & Fire "System of Survival" (US) 12" Maxi-Single US $2.99 [0 bids]
PROMO WHITE LABEL / BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS SURVIVAL / UNPLAYED US $149.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Earth, Wind & Fire "System of Survival" 45 WLP US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Axxis: Matters Of Survival CD 1995 EMI Electrola GmbH 7243 8 32469 2 2 Original US $14.95 Buy It Now 1 day
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD Survival US SECOND PRESS NM US $9.99 [2 bids]
Earth, Wind & Fire "System of Survival" (US) 12" Maxi-Single [Soul/Funk] NM US $3.99 [0 bids]
Grand Funk - Survival - 1st Edition LP US $5.49 [0 bids]
Joe McPhee Survival Unit III - Syncronicity - Harmonic Convergence 115/300 - New US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
EDWIN BIRDSONG funk 45 Dance Of Survival / Your Smile Gave Birth To My Idea US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Ground Zero Movement ? M.H.C. Survival 12" Future ID LP Rare Underground Hip Hop US $7.99 [0 bids]
Earth Wind & Fire LP System Of Survival Columbia 07475 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SALIVA - SURVIVAL OF THE SICKEST (CLEAN) NEW CD US $16.98 Buy It Now 1 day
TED NUGENT AMBOY DUKES SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST/MARRIAGE ON ROCKS 2-LP POLYDOR NM US $10.07 Buy It Now 2 days
HEADHUNTERS Survival Of The Fittest ARISTA LP VG++/VG+ US $12.00 [6 bids]
MATT HECKERT MECHANICAL SOUND ORCHESTRA CD Survival Research Labs STEAMPUNK US $23.97 Buy It Now 2 days
Survival of the Sickest [PA] by Saliva (CD, Aug-2004, Island (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Alterno-Daze: Survival of the Fittest - '80s by Various Artists (CD, Apr-1995, R US $0.99 [0 bids]
ERICK MATTHEWS NO FEAR IN ME CD SURVIVAL GLORY ANGEL SONG WAR CLOTHES CALLIN' ME US $0.01 [0 bids]
Seamus Haji Presents Mekkah - Race Of Survival 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy SURVIVAL music online Buy SURVIVAL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SURVIVAL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SURVIVAL Crusader ratings distribution

SURVIVAL Crusader reviews

Review by Windhawk
3 stars This official debut album by Dutch outfit survival does have it's charms, as well as a few significant weaknesses.

The idea behind this release is an interesting one - an instrumental concept album based on the crusades from how I read the liner notes. It's very much an individual experience how successful the concept as such is, but at least it's a novel idea.

Jack Langvelt, the main man in this project, is a keyboard player; and keyboards and synthesizers in various guises dominate this production through and through. Majestic, multiple layered constructions with floating synths, keyboard patterns and synth themes are constant from start till finish; with the Hammond organ as the foundation of mostly everything.

Guitars flesh out the soundscapes and add some additional textures; and the piano has much the same function. In terms of style this is symphonic; with a vintage atmosphere spiced with some modern flourishes in the soloing department.

This last aspect is the core weakness of this release though - the soloing. Virtuosic and very well performed, but too meandering and repetitive in general, and in particular for those who like their compositions to have more content.

Fans of instrumental, majestic symphonic rock dominated by the organ and extensive soloing should find this album to pretty interesting though.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#296597) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 29, 2010

Review by ozzy_tom
3 stars According to sources "Survival" was a "real" band from 1981 until 1997. After they split this moniker was taken over by their keyboardist - Jack Langevelt. Along with different musicians he recorded several private pressed albums but "Crusader" can be considered as his real debut because it was issued and promoted by well known for prog-rock fans label - "Musea".

So how does sound 1st proper album of keyboardist who started his professional career in 1981 and had to wait almost 30 years to pull off this release? Taking in consideration so big experience of Jack Langevelt, I have to admit that I had quite big hopes for "Crusader". Unfortunately after listening to it, I felt slightly disappointed because of several important factors. However this release isn't bad at all, some of its flaws made me enjoy Survival's music less than I expected.

Let's describe briefly all of these (instrumental) compositions to find out where Jack succeeded and where he failed:

1. "The Holy Land" - from the beginning Survival assure us that we'll be dealing with very 70s-like, retro-stylized symphonic prog-rock in the tradition of ELP, Trace, Triumvirat, Collegium Musicum or The Nice. Most of "The Holy Land" track is a highly energetic keyboards-driven symph-rocker dominated by Keith Emerson meets Jon Lord-style organ playing (according to Survival's website, digital Hammond XB2-V2 is a "weapon of choice" here, but it sounds truly analog, I can assure you about that!). Besides gritty organ sound we can also enjoy many flashing synthesizer runs and hard rockish electric guitar solos played by the only additional musician - David Dexter.

2. "Beauseant" - it's much different track compared to the previous one. We can still hear roaring Hammond in the background here but majestic sounding synthesizer takes over the main role in "Beauseant". Not bad track but a bit repetitive and soundtrackish for me.

3. "Lamentation" - mellotron-based (clearly digital substitution for mellotron in fact) 1+ minute interlude. Sounds rather melancholic and mellow (no drums here). Not very exciting but nothing's wrong with too.

4. "Crusader" - just like "The Holy Land", this track kicks off with heavy roar of Hammond organ which sounds like taken just from Deep Purple's album in early 70s. Unfortunately this composition is almost completely ruined by hideous drumming!! It's difficult to even describe how horribly percussion sounds here!! I can only describe it as constant, monotonous, ear-shattering rattle poorly programmed on amateur music software. It's a real pity that Jack decided to damage this track so much, because overall it's definitely the best one on the album! It's full of great guitar leads, string-synthesizer backings and - the most important - full blown Hammond solo where Langevelt pulls of phenomenal performance, which sounds like reminiscences of explosive style of Jean-Jaques Kravetz from 70's German heavy-prog band - "Frumpy". I can also add that in fact drum section isn't so bad in this one, the problem is this rattle percussion line which seems to be added later in production process. Anyway great composition but seriously flawed because of poor taste according to percussion section. What a pity that Jack didn't allow some real musician to play drums, but decided to program/play almost all instruments by himself. Poor choice Jack!

5. "Abide with Me" - when this one starts you can immediately find resemblance to "A Whiter Shade of Pale" melody! Anyway it's a rather good track driven by warm organ sound and backing string synthesizer.

6. "Baldwin" - rather boring (I suppose Jack wanted it to be "melancholic", but I'm afraid he failed here) and overlong track led by monotonous synthesizer and background organ. No drums, no energy, nothing to remember after 3+ minutes of this sheer boredom.

7. "I Cried for You" - very similar to previous track but this time main role is played by louder, more high-pitched sounding synthesizer and we also have drums beat here. Unfortunately this composition also doesn't grab my attention, synthesizer sometimes sounds too high and that's why annoying, while drums are uninspired and they're clearly computer (or drum machine) programmed.

8. "Exceptional Friend" - when this track starts, finally we can listen to a little piano-playing. Unfortunately after a while Jack comes back to his too digital sounding synthesizer known from 2 previous compositions. Thankfully after about 2 minutes David Dexter strikes back with some cool Blackmore-inspired electric guitar wailing. Keyboard player also decides to comes back to his trusty Hammond to show us few mean riffs and another spectacular soloing, so 70s mood is with us again! After all along with "The Holy Land" & "Crusader" this track is my favorite one on the album. But in fact I also love quite much the very next track.

9. "The Knights Templar" - this one is a real goodie! In the tradition of Rick Wakeman and Rick Van Der Linden (and Jacula of course!) this is a church-organ (to be more precise it's an electronic version of organ - Kontaktplayer 4) only instrumental which sound truly majestic and magic. Splendid classical music!

10. "Montgisard" - 10 minutes epic? My expectations where very high, unfortunately this track isn't nearly as good as I hoped it to be. In fact whole first 3 minutes is a quirky mess of ear-destructing synthesizer effects, disjointed percussion beats and "let's-play-whatever" guitar licks which didn't make much impression on me (not a good impression anyway...). After this horrible introduction "Montgisard" sounds more or less like standard symphonic prog composition but somehow I don't like it too much probably due to over active synthesizer leads which are too screamy for me (poor old Hammond is mostly used as background instruments here and Dexter's guitar isn't very audible too). I'm fan of Toshio Egawa's (from Gerard) busy style, but I still find "Montgisard" too noisy! After I listened to it several times, I found it a bit more enjoyable than the first time (especially I noticed that Jack plays some truly gritty organ riffs here, they are just not loud enough to overshadow this synthesizer onslaught) but I still don't consider it as a classic by any means.

11. "After All" - very mellow composition led by sparkling piano (what a pity that it sounds so digital...) and echoes-chants-like synthesizer. Quite much boring in fact. I have nothing against slow paced, romantic ballads, but the problem is that "After All" doesn't make any "melancholic" impression on me after all...

In general "Crusader" is an average effort which tries to mix 70s symphonic style and instrumentation with more modern approach and recording techniques. While some parts of this album sounds very inspiring and pleasant for art/prog rock fans, they are often ruined by ugly, programmed drum beats or too digital sounding equipment which supposed to imitate analog instruments. Overall it's not so bad album, but if you like such modern but retro-sounding, keyboard-led symphonic prog I suggest you to check such bands like Par Lindh Project, Gerard, Ars Nova, Little Tragedies, Nexus, Taproban or a bit older (but recently re-formed) Nuova Era. If you already know all of these band, than you can proceed to check Survival. So this is my advice.

And if you ask me which Survival's track is the best, I'd say that Jack Langevelt never sounded better than on Colossus Project compilation called "Dante's Purgatorio: The Divine Comedy - Part II "(from 2009). He recorded there "Canto XIII - Impressions" which is fantastic, almost 10 minutes long mini-epic full of Emerson-inspired, percussive-sounding organ runs. So if you want to see Survival at its best, check "Dante's Purgatorio" first. But if you still prefer listen to "Crusader", I think that the best tracks here are: "The Holy Land", "Crusader"(if you forget horrible rattle percussion), "Exceptional Friend" & pipe-organ-driven "After All".

3,5 stars for "Crusader" from ozzy_tom

BTW this album seems to be a concept about crusader's fights, but it's instrumental release after all...so what the heck??!

Send comments to ozzy_tom (BETA) | Report this review (#408428) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 26, 2011

Post a review of SURVIVAL "Crusader"