CRUSADER

3. Lamentation (1:08)
4. Crusader (6:19)
5. Abide with Me (2:05)
6. Baldwin (3:18)
7. I Cried for You (2:25)
8. Exceptional Friend (7:00)
9. The Knights Templar (2:55)
10. Montgisard (10:23)
11. After All (4:12)

Total time 45:48

Search SURVIVAL Crusader lyrics

Search SURVIVAL Crusader tabs

- Jack Langevelt / keyboards, bass, drums
- David Dexter / guitars

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

SURVIVAL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SURVIVAL Crusader Music

Simmer DownSimmer Down
Strawberry Rain 2014
SurvivalSurvival
Thrill Jockey 2013
La Onda De SurvivalLa Onda De Survival
Imports 2008
Vinyl$46.99
PRINCE FATTY/PRINCE - SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $14.05 Buy It Now 1h 33m
The Boomerang Gang(7" Vinyl)Rock Out-Survival -SUR 030-UK-VG/NM US $11.64 Buy It Now 2h 7m
The Boomerang Gang(7" Vinyl)Rock Out-Survival -SUR 030-UK-VG/NM US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Survival of the Fattest, Various Artists, Excellent US $1.00 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Survival of the Fittest, Various Artists, Excellent Explicit Lyrics US $1.00 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Bob Marley & the Wailers Survival 1979 LP VG++ US $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Survival of the Illest: Live from 125 NYC [PA] by Various Artists US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Ultimate Party Survival Kit - Various Artists (C... US $3.89 [0 bids]
THE PHANTOM SURFERS / SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST (1995) Rare 7" SURF MUSIC !!!!!!!! US $8.99 [0 bids]
(AL375) Meretto, A Method of Urban Survival - DJ CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 3h 31m
8-TRACK CARTRIDGE GRAND FUNK SURVIVAL CAPITOL 8XW764 ROCK US $7.99 [0 bids]
Survivor: The Official Survivor Party Survival, , Excellent US $1.00 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Survival Story by Flobots (CD, May-2010, Universal Republic Records) US $3.00 [0 bids]
EARTH WIND & FIRE "System of Survival" R&B 1987 12" VINYL SINGLE - EX US $2.99 [0 bids]
World Trade Center (A True Story of Courage and Survival) CD2006 - 18 TRACKS US $14.15 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Survival Guide for the End of Time Heavyweight Dub Champion Audio CD US $5.39 Buy It Now 6h 29m
Me My Head - Survival in No Mans Land - 11 Track US $6.64 Buy It Now 8h 17m
System of Survival - Needle and Thread - 12 Track US $6.64 Buy It Now 8h 23m
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK/ - SURVIVOR: THE OFFICIAL SURVIVOR PARTY SURVIVAL - NEW CD US $17.40 Buy It Now 8h 27m
The O'Jays "Survival" LP in Stereo US $4.95 Buy It Now 9h 56m
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD "Survival" green label vinyl LP 1971 US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 55m
JUNIOR REID ~ PLEASE OFFICER ~ 45 SURVIVAL Riddim US $9.95 Buy It Now 10h 57m
EDWIN BIRDSONG LP, Dance Of Survival (BAM-BOO US Issue NM/NM) US $21.47 Buy It Now 11h 16m
SURVIVAL OF THE ILLEST 12" RECORD ONYX DMX DEF SQUAD US $8.75 Buy It Now 11h 34m
HEADHUNTERS LP, Survival Of The Fittest (ARISTA US Issue NM/NM) US $21.47 Buy It Now 11h 37m
HEADHUNTERS LP, Survival Of The Fittest (ARISTA US Issue VG/EX) US $26.47 Buy It Now 11h 37m
Born From Pain - Survival [CD New] US $10.16 Buy It Now 12h 53m
OUTSPOKEN-SURVIVAL 7" 1ST 1991 PRESS STAMPED/#'D 90/500-YOUTH OF TODAY -NYHC-KBD US $19.99 [0 bids]
13h
Headrush #3 Survival Taktiks Geto DJs Inc RARE G-FUNK G-RAP OOP US $21.00 [6 bids]
SOUNDTRACK: Survival Run (rare soundtrack & cast vinyl LP) US $40.00 Buy It Now 13h 27m
New* Survival - Dawning - Osiris Music LISTEN US $8.31 Buy It Now 13h 42m
Album lp record vinyl Grand Funk Survival US $6.99 [0 bids]
Survival Guide for the End of Time Heavyweight Dub Champion US $4.31 Buy It Now 14h 58m
SURVIVAL 2000 (1994) CD Orbital (Live) System 7 Dreadzone The Grid US $16.63 Buy It Now 15h 10m
(587H) Meretto, A Method of Urban Survival - DJ CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 15h 12m
Survival For Tribal Peoples - Very Good US $17.98 Buy It Now 15h 47m
Don Ellis Star Wars and Survival Galaxies Planets LP US $12.00 Buy It Now 15h 55m
NORMAL LOVE Survival Tricks Amnon Freidlin Evan Lipson Jessica Pavone LP US $24.97 Buy It Now 15h 56m
Swank Survival Issue CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 16h
Meditation - A Practical Survival Kit For The '90s: 4 H US $152.91 Buy It Now 16h 24m
If The Bomb Falls: A Recorded Guide to Survival LP [1961] US $18.00 [0 bids]
SUBLIMINAL CANCER SURVIVOR AID CD-SURVIVE SURVIVAL MIND BRAINWAVE MEDITATION AID US $11.99 Buy It Now 17h 25m
GRAND FUNK LP Survival CAPITOL RECS ORIG ' 70s MINT Canada imp W/PICS US $40.00 Buy It Now 17h 29m
AMERICA-ALIBI-VINYL-NM-SURVIVAL-I DO BELIEVE IN YOU-CATCH THAT TRAIN US $5.99 [0 bids]
LEROY JENKINS Space Minds, New Worlds, Survival Of America 1979 Sealed NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
The O'Jays - Survival CD [Remaster] NEW SEALED 2000 CHEAP! US $5.99 [0 bids]
Marion Wade - Singing For Survival, WHAT A DAY OF VICTORY!, RSR-006 Still SEALED US $25.00 Buy It Now 18h 55m
OUTLAW POSSE ~ Dam Funky / Survival ~ 12" Single PROMO US $7.47 Buy It Now 21h 28m
BLACK SURVIVAL / VARIOUS - BLACK SURVIVAL / VARIOUS (UK) NEW CD US $36.77 Buy It Now 21h 36m
EDDIE & SUNSHINE 12" PERFECT STRANGER NM 1983 UK SURVIVAL RECORDS SHIP FROM USA US $2.99 [0 bids]
O'JAYS - SURVIVAL NEW CD US $11.22 Buy It Now 23h 56m
David Sanchez - Cultural Survival CD US $14.17 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID SANCHEZ - CULTURAL SURVIVAL NEW CD US $16.16 Buy It Now 1 day
Rock & Roll Survival (1972 Coral LP) Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Shirelles etc US $11.64 Buy It Now 1 day
SURVIVAL - SIMMER DOWN NEW VINYL US $36.62 Buy It Now 1 day
GASR - SURVIVAL OF FITTEST NEW CD US $14.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Earth Wind & Fire- System Of Survival 12"mixes promo EP 1987 CBS Records ex.cond US $8.38 [0 bids]
SALIVA - SURVIVAL OF THE SICKEST (CLEAN) NEW CD US $16.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Born From Pain - Survival CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 1 day
Eddie & Sunshine(7" Vinyl)There's Someone Following Me-Survival-SUR 018-France-V US $11.64 Buy It Now 1 day
Def Jam Survival Of The Illest Vol. 3 (1998, Def Jam, Promo CD) AUDIO CD ONLY US $2.00 [0 bids]
AXXIS: MATTERS OF SURVIVAL JAPANESE CD BONFIRE GOTTARD CHARADE HARD ROCK US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Dodsferd - The Parasite Survival of the Human Race CD 2014 black metal Greece US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Mike Dugan & The Survival Band - Workin' - Scarce Private Pa. Press Vinyl NM US $12.00 [0 bids]
LOT OF FIVE 8 TRACK TAPES GRAND FUNK CLOSER TO HOME LIVE ALBUM SURVIVAL ON TIME US $20.99 [0 bids]
KILLER DREAMER Survival Guns / Pterodactyl2 7" 45 NOS COLOR VINYL KAPOW! PUNK US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SIXTOO - Antagonist Survival Kit - CD US $19.56 Buy It Now 1 day
Saliva - Survival of the Sickest [PA] (CD, Aug-2004, Island (Label)) US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival of the Sickest by Saliva (Parental Advisory Vers.) (CD) G+ US $1.98 [0 bids]
Bob Marley - Survival (NEW CD) US $11.22 Buy It Now 1 day
Various - Rock & Roll Survival - Coral - 1972 #642366 US $4.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Survival NEW CD US $8.17 Buy It Now 1 day
The Ultimate Guitar Survival Guide by Various Artists (CD, 1993, Relativity US $0.60 [0 bids]
Survival Of The Sickest - Sin Mad New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $25.22 Buy It Now 1 day
GRAND FUNK LP SURVIVAL CAP RECS ' 73 w/PHOTOS M- Orig US $40.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ROY BROOKS**BLACK SURVIVAL: THE SAHEL CONCERT AT TOWN HALL**VINYL US $28.01 Buy It Now 1 day
From Sacrifice to Survival [PA] by Skinless (CD, Jun-2003, Relapse Records (USA) US $0.99 [1 bids]
TEST PRESSING* Melle Mel & Duke Bootee - Message II (Survival) *MEGA RARE!!* 82 US $85.99 Buy It Now 1 day
REJECTS UNITED - BOYHOOD SURVIVAL KIT (2008) - 14 TRACKS - NEW SEALED CD - RARE US $3.83 Buy It Now 1 day
12" jane getz - survival of the hippest... NEW OLD STOCK / UNOPENED US $3.99 [0 bids]
Bob Marley & the Wailers Survival 1979 LP VG US $9.99 [0 bids]
CD DOOMSDAY PRODUCTIONS SURVIVAL OF THE SICCEST ~MINT ULTRA-RARE! LAS VEGAS RAP US $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rock N Roll Survival LP Decca Records DL75181 Rare Rock NM US $1.99 [0 bids]
The Dying Light - Survival Guide To The Apocalypse Lp #269/330 Death/Thrash NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
Outspoken Survival 7" Handwritten Labels Gorilla Biscuits Rival Mob Judge Mental US $35.00 [0 bids]
Survival by Bob Marley & the Wailers (CD, Jan-1994, Tuff Gong) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes.."Survival of the Fittest..Live..NM..1971 US $16.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Rare Vintage 45 RPM Record DON ELLIS AND THE SURVIVAL On Atlantic Records / DJ US $5.00 [0 bids]
GAMA BOMB Survival Of The Fastest 1st Press Numbered Exodus Megadeth Testament US $23.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HOWARD HEADHUNTER & SURVIVAL CREW-JUNGLE HOUSE SEALED 12" '87 electro house HEAR US $2.99 [0 bids]
EARTH, WIND & FIRE - System Of Survival/Writing On (PS) US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Grand Funk Survival Lp US $5.99 [0 bids]
Grand Funk Railroad Survival Album w/ INSERTS SW-764 Capitol Records US $19.99 [0 bids]
Survival of the Sickest [PA] by Saliva (CD, Aug-2004, Island (Label)) US $1.27 [4 bids]
Stories of Survival by Authority Zero (CD, 2010, Suburban Noize) US $5.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival Sickness, International Noise Conspiracy, Excellent US $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
THE COUP DE GRACE - THE ART OF SURVIVAL +1, 1995 JAPAN CD W/OBI APCY-8294 US $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ADRIAN SHERWOOD Survival Is Resistance 2x LP NEW VINYL On-U Sound Kode9 US $31.99 Buy It Now 1 day
From Sacrifice to Survival [PA] by Skinless (CD, Jun-2003, Relapse Records (USA) US $5.29 Buy It Now 1 day
MELLE MEL & DUKE BOOTEE 12" MESSAGE II SURVIVAL 1982 SUGAR HILL ELECTRO SHIP USA US $2.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy SURVIVAL music online Buy SURVIVAL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SURVIVAL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SURVIVAL Crusader ratings distribution

SURVIVAL Crusader reviews

Review by Windhawk
3 stars This official debut album by Dutch outfit survival does have it's charms, as well as a few significant weaknesses.

The idea behind this release is an interesting one - an instrumental concept album based on the crusades from how I read the liner notes. It's very much an individual experience how successful the concept as such is, but at least it's a novel idea.

Jack Langvelt, the main man in this project, is a keyboard player; and keyboards and synthesizers in various guises dominate this production through and through. Majestic, multiple layered constructions with floating synths, keyboard patterns and synth themes are constant from start till finish; with the Hammond organ as the foundation of mostly everything.

Guitars flesh out the soundscapes and add some additional textures; and the piano has much the same function. In terms of style this is symphonic; with a vintage atmosphere spiced with some modern flourishes in the soloing department.

This last aspect is the core weakness of this release though - the soloing. Virtuosic and very well performed, but too meandering and repetitive in general, and in particular for those who like their compositions to have more content.

Fans of instrumental, majestic symphonic rock dominated by the organ and extensive soloing should find this album to pretty interesting though.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#296597) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 29, 2010

Review by ozzy_tom
3 stars According to sources "Survival" was a "real" band from 1981 until 1997. After they split this moniker was taken over by their keyboardist - Jack Langevelt. Along with different musicians he recorded several private pressed albums but "Crusader" can be considered as his real debut because it was issued and promoted by well known for prog-rock fans label - "Musea".

So how does sound 1st proper album of keyboardist who started his professional career in 1981 and had to wait almost 30 years to pull off this release? Taking in consideration so big experience of Jack Langevelt, I have to admit that I had quite big hopes for "Crusader". Unfortunately after listening to it, I felt slightly disappointed because of several important factors. However this release isn't bad at all, some of its flaws made me enjoy Survival's music less than I expected.

Let's describe briefly all of these (instrumental) compositions to find out where Jack succeeded and where he failed:

1. "The Holy Land" - from the beginning Survival assure us that we'll be dealing with very 70s-like, retro-stylized symphonic prog-rock in the tradition of ELP, Trace, Triumvirat, Collegium Musicum or The Nice. Most of "The Holy Land" track is a highly energetic keyboards-driven symph-rocker dominated by Keith Emerson meets Jon Lord-style organ playing (according to Survival's website, digital Hammond XB2-V2 is a "weapon of choice" here, but it sounds truly analog, I can assure you about that!). Besides gritty organ sound we can also enjoy many flashing synthesizer runs and hard rockish electric guitar solos played by the only additional musician - David Dexter.

2. "Beauseant" - it's much different track compared to the previous one. We can still hear roaring Hammond in the background here but majestic sounding synthesizer takes over the main role in "Beauseant". Not bad track but a bit repetitive and soundtrackish for me.

3. "Lamentation" - mellotron-based (clearly digital substitution for mellotron in fact) 1+ minute interlude. Sounds rather melancholic and mellow (no drums here). Not very exciting but nothing's wrong with too.

4. "Crusader" - just like "The Holy Land", this track kicks off with heavy roar of Hammond organ which sounds like taken just from Deep Purple's album in early 70s. Unfortunately this composition is almost completely ruined by hideous drumming!! It's difficult to even describe how horribly percussion sounds here!! I can only describe it as constant, monotonous, ear-shattering rattle poorly programmed on amateur music software. It's a real pity that Jack decided to damage this track so much, because overall it's definitely the best one on the album! It's full of great guitar leads, string-synthesizer backings and - the most important - full blown Hammond solo where Langevelt pulls of phenomenal performance, which sounds like reminiscences of explosive style of Jean-Jaques Kravetz from 70's German heavy-prog band - "Frumpy". I can also add that in fact drum section isn't so bad in this one, the problem is this rattle percussion line which seems to be added later in production process. Anyway great composition but seriously flawed because of poor taste according to percussion section. What a pity that Jack didn't allow some real musician to play drums, but decided to program/play almost all instruments by himself. Poor choice Jack!

5. "Abide with Me" - when this one starts you can immediately find resemblance to "A Whiter Shade of Pale" melody! Anyway it's a rather good track driven by warm organ sound and backing string synthesizer.

6. "Baldwin" - rather boring (I suppose Jack wanted it to be "melancholic", but I'm afraid he failed here) and overlong track led by monotonous synthesizer and background organ. No drums, no energy, nothing to remember after 3+ minutes of this sheer boredom.

7. "I Cried for You" - very similar to previous track but this time main role is played by louder, more high-pitched sounding synthesizer and we also have drums beat here. Unfortunately this composition also doesn't grab my attention, synthesizer sometimes sounds too high and that's why annoying, while drums are uninspired and they're clearly computer (or drum machine) programmed.

8. "Exceptional Friend" - when this track starts, finally we can listen to a little piano-playing. Unfortunately after a while Jack comes back to his too digital sounding synthesizer known from 2 previous compositions. Thankfully after about 2 minutes David Dexter strikes back with some cool Blackmore-inspired electric guitar wailing. Keyboard player also decides to comes back to his trusty Hammond to show us few mean riffs and another spectacular soloing, so 70s mood is with us again! After all along with "The Holy Land" & "Crusader" this track is my favorite one on the album. But in fact I also love quite much the very next track.

9. "The Knights Templar" - this one is a real goodie! In the tradition of Rick Wakeman and Rick Van Der Linden (and Jacula of course!) this is a church-organ (to be more precise it's an electronic version of organ - Kontaktplayer 4) only instrumental which sound truly majestic and magic. Splendid classical music!

10. "Montgisard" - 10 minutes epic? My expectations where very high, unfortunately this track isn't nearly as good as I hoped it to be. In fact whole first 3 minutes is a quirky mess of ear-destructing synthesizer effects, disjointed percussion beats and "let's-play-whatever" guitar licks which didn't make much impression on me (not a good impression anyway...). After this horrible introduction "Montgisard" sounds more or less like standard symphonic prog composition but somehow I don't like it too much probably due to over active synthesizer leads which are too screamy for me (poor old Hammond is mostly used as background instruments here and Dexter's guitar isn't very audible too). I'm fan of Toshio Egawa's (from Gerard) busy style, but I still find "Montgisard" too noisy! After I listened to it several times, I found it a bit more enjoyable than the first time (especially I noticed that Jack plays some truly gritty organ riffs here, they are just not loud enough to overshadow this synthesizer onslaught) but I still don't consider it as a classic by any means.

11. "After All" - very mellow composition led by sparkling piano (what a pity that it sounds so digital...) and echoes-chants-like synthesizer. Quite much boring in fact. I have nothing against slow paced, romantic ballads, but the problem is that "After All" doesn't make any "melancholic" impression on me after all...

In general "Crusader" is an average effort which tries to mix 70s symphonic style and instrumentation with more modern approach and recording techniques. While some parts of this album sounds very inspiring and pleasant for art/prog rock fans, they are often ruined by ugly, programmed drum beats or too digital sounding equipment which supposed to imitate analog instruments. Overall it's not so bad album, but if you like such modern but retro-sounding, keyboard-led symphonic prog I suggest you to check such bands like Par Lindh Project, Gerard, Ars Nova, Little Tragedies, Nexus, Taproban or a bit older (but recently re-formed) Nuova Era. If you already know all of these band, than you can proceed to check Survival. So this is my advice.

And if you ask me which Survival's track is the best, I'd say that Jack Langevelt never sounded better than on Colossus Project compilation called "Dante's Purgatorio: The Divine Comedy - Part II "(from 2009). He recorded there "Canto XIII - Impressions" which is fantastic, almost 10 minutes long mini-epic full of Emerson-inspired, percussive-sounding organ runs. So if you want to see Survival at its best, check "Dante's Purgatorio" first. But if you still prefer listen to "Crusader", I think that the best tracks here are: "The Holy Land", "Crusader"(if you forget horrible rattle percussion), "Exceptional Friend" & pipe-organ-driven "After All".

3,5 stars for "Crusader" from ozzy_tom

BTW this album seems to be a concept about crusader's fights, but it's instrumental release after all...so what the heck??!

Send comments to ozzy_tom (BETA) | Report this review (#408428) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 26, 2011

Post a review of SURVIVAL "Crusader"