CRUSADER

3. Lamentation (1:08)
4. Crusader (6:19)
5. Abide with Me (2:05)
6. Baldwin (3:18)
7. I Cried for You (2:25)
8. Exceptional Friend (7:00)
9. The Knights Templar (2:55)
10. Montgisard (10:23)
11. After All (4:12)

Total time 45:48

Search SURVIVAL Crusader lyrics

Search SURVIVAL Crusader tabs

- Jack Langevelt / keyboards, bass, drums
- David Dexter / guitars

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

SURVIVAL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SURVIVAL Crusader Music

Simmer DownSimmer Down
Strawberry Rain 2014
SurvivalSurvival
Thrill Jockey 2013
Funeral Oration - Survival [CD New] US $13.55 Buy It Now 39m 9s
DON ELLIS AND THE SURVIVAL Star Wars WLP PROMO 45 DJ COPY (Mono and Stereo) NM US $6.99 Buy It Now 40m 51s
GARY NUMAN - 7"Single -This is Love/Survival, (Incl Free Flexi Disc) EX+ US $12.85 Buy It Now 1h 23m
GRAND FUNK SURVIVAL LP RECORD ON CAPITOL #SW-764 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
International Noise Conspiracy - Survival Sickness (2000) - Used - Compact CD US $3.94 [0 bids]
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Survival [CD New] US $9.01 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Flobots CD Survival Story sealed new Rise Against White Flag Warrior US $2.99 [0 bids]
Survival Story by Flobots (CD, May-2010, Universal Republic Records) US $3.00 [0 bids]
ANIME / Survival JAPAN LP OBI 22PG-2 Takao Saito kR4 US $44.99 Buy It Now 3h 48m
TOP CHOICE CLIQUE PUSH IT PAST RED SURVIVAL Vinyl 12'' US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h
SURVIVAL**SURVIVAL**VINYL US $20.93 Buy It Now 4h 35m
MARLEY, Bob & THE WAILERS - Survival (remastered) - CD US $16.47 Buy It Now 4h 42m
SMOKE RISE - SURVIVAL OF ST. JOAN BOX SET ROCK OPERA US $27.50 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Survival [Remastered] (CD 2001) US $7.96 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Survival [Bonus Track] [Remaster] by Bob Marley & the Wailers (CD, Jul-2001,... US $3.55 [3 bids]
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD SURVIVAL LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 43m
AUGUST BURNS RED**LEVELER (SURVIVAL KIT/BOX SET)**CD US $21.50 Buy It Now 6h 41m
Survival Grank Funk Railroad CD rare Japan Toshiba release US $49.99 Buy It Now 7h 5m
Prince Fatty - Survival Of The Fattest [CD New] US $15.97 Buy It Now 7h 14m
Survival Research Laboratories [CD New] US $17.92 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Bedtime Story / Survival, Madonna,Very Good, disc w/artwork,Audio CD, Music Musi US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 22m
SURVIVAL JOY IN THE RAIN / HAPPY PEOPLE WE ARE 12" VINYL RECORD WEST INDIES US $3.98 Buy It Now 7h 25m
Life After Survival - 3 To Breathe New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $21.44 Buy It Now 7h 34m
Survival of the Fattest by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1996, Fat Wreck Chords) US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 34m
RARE REGGIE LUCAS 1975 JAPAN EAST WIND ORIGINAL PRESS - SURVIVAL THEMES Mtume! US $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 35m
Survival I Am A Singer [CD New] US $29.98 Buy It Now 7h 40m
Gary Numan This Is Love B/W Survival 7" Numan Records US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 50m
ULTIMATE PARTY SURVIVAL KIT -VAR (CD) CHECKER YANKOVIC ANTHONY CHICKEN CHAMPS US $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 57m
PHANTOM SURFERS Survival Of The Fattest 7" 1995 Garage SURF Punk Lo-Fi MUMMIES US $3.99 [1 bids]
EARTH ,WIND & FIRE "SYSTEM OF SURVIVAL" & "TURN ON (THE BEAT BOX)" TWO 45'S US $0.25 [0 bids]
Grand Funk Railroad Survival Capitol Records SW-764 US $5.75 [0 bids]
Alterno-Daze: Survival of the Fittest - '80s by Various Artists (CD, Apr-1995, R US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 57m
EARTH, WIND AND FIRE "TOUCH THE WORLD" 1987 UK LP (SYSTEM OF SURVIVAL) US $5.45 Buy It Now 8h 58m
SALIVA Survival 5 TRX PROMO SAMPLER CD w/ 3 Doors Down US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h
Survival of the Fattest, Various Artists,Very Good, Audio CDs-Complete in Jewel US $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 7m
Grand Funk ?- Survival Vinyl LP. Capitol Records ?- SW 764 US $6.95 Buy It Now 9h 15m
ROCK N'ROLL SURVIVAL-LP-NM-DECCA-HALEY,HOLLY,SHIRELLES-13 ORIGINAL HITS US $7.99 [0 bids]
Survival Knife - Loose Power - SEALED U.S. cd - RARE! Digipak US $11.23 Buy It Now 9h 23m
DAVID SANCHEZ - Cultural Survival - RARE CD Advance US $4.47 Buy It Now 9h 37m
Alterno-Daze Survival of 80's: The Fittest, Modern English, Wall of Voodoo, ,Ver US $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 41m
Saliva - Survival Of The Sickest (CD 2004) US $7.12 Buy It Now 9h 56m
PRINCE FATTY**SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST (W/DOWNLOAD)**VINYL US $17.02 Buy It Now 10h 11m
Survival of the Illest DMX with Faith Evans - Onyx - Def Squad - 12 inch Vinyl US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 23m
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD "SURVIVAL" CAPITOL E-SW 764 ADVERT 15X12" US $19.30 Buy It Now 10h 23m
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD'S FIFTH ALBUM " SURVIVAL" ADVERT 15X12" US $19.30 Buy It Now 10h 23m
Mike Warren & Survival Kit Please Yourself First SEALED LP RARE Jazz Funk Privat US $34.00 Buy It Now 10h 24m
Grand Funk Survival in shrink! US $5.00 [0 bids]
Prince Fatty - Survival Of The Fattest [Vinyl New] US $16.38 Buy It Now 10h 37m
Out Of Order - Survival Of The Fittest [CD New] US $13.98 Buy It Now 11h 20m
Survival Sounds 0011711141043, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $18.27 Buy It Now 11h 23m
SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST [VARIOUS ARTISTS] - NEW CD US $4.05 Buy It Now 11h 25m
Simply Red - Come To My Aid (Survival Mix) - U.K. 12" VINYL US $5.98 Buy It Now 11h 36m
LOT OF FIVE 8 TRACK TAPES GRAND FUNK CLOSER TO HOME LIVE ALBUM SURVIVAL ON TIME US $20.99 [0 bids]
Paradise Road, Song of survival; Original Soundtrack; Mint CD US $4.75 Buy It Now 11h 45m
Survival of the Sickest [Edited] by Saliva (CD, Aug-2004, Island (Label)) US $1.99 Buy It Now 11h 59m
Grand Funk Railroad LP Survival 1971 Very Clean Orig! With Bonus Photos! US $9.99 [0 bids]
O'Jays Survival R&B Soul LP Vinyl Record Album US $7.00 [0 bids]
Scarce Jane Getz Survival of the Hippest TTriune 12" Single US $6.99 Buy It Now 12h 46m
Cultural Survival by David Sanchez (Saxophone) (CD, Jun-2008, Concord) US $6.22 Buy It Now 12h 58m
From Sacrifice to Survival [PA] by Skinless (CD, Jun-2003, Relapse Records... US $7.96 Buy It Now 12h 59m
Survival Sounds by Rubblebucket (Vinyl, Aug-2014, Communion Records) US $17.04 Buy It Now 13h
Survival by Funeral Oration (CD, Jul-1998, Hopeless)new sealed US $11.00 Buy It Now 13h 11m
Survival-Simmer Down Nigerian prog psych cd US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 29m
Survival of the Fattest by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1996, Fat Wreck Chords) US $5.00 Buy It Now 13h 45m
Rubblebucket - Survival Sounds [LP] 2014 VINYL LP/ US SELLER US $21.60 Buy It Now 14h 2m
Thirteen At Midnight Skin Deep 12" Survival Records SUR 12 017 Very Good Plus (V US $19.77 Buy It Now 14h 20m
Liechtenstein Survival Strategies In A Modern World CD US $6.97 Buy It Now 14h 27m
Survival [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 14h 36m
MELLE MEL & DUKE BOOTEE message ii survival 12" VG+ SH 594 Vinyl 1982 Record US $12.00 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Jane Getz 12" Survival of the Hippest EXTENDED/RADIO/DUB original 1986 vinyl US $12.20 Buy It Now 15h 48m
Earth Wind & Fire System Of Survival (PS) 12" Vinyl Single US $9.65 Buy It Now 15h 51m
DJ JACQ - Ghetto Survival - HOUSE 12 US $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 56m
60's? FILMSTRIP SOUNDTRACK The Struggle For Survival LP NAT GEO BRITANNICA US $2.99 [0 bids]
Prince Fatty - Survival of the Fattest - U.S. cd - RARE! Digipak 072714 US $5.95 Buy It Now 16h 57m
CASKET LOTTERY - SURVIVAL IS FOR COWARDS - CD, 2002 US $4.66 Buy It Now 17h 11m
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD "Survival" CD, 2002 Capitol Remaster (Compact Disc) US $7.99 Buy It Now 17h 14m
PRINCE FATTY - SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST NEW CD US $21.41 Buy It Now 17h 16m
Autopsy - Severed Survival ORG 1st ROADRUNNER press RARE OOP!!! US $29.99 [0 bids]
LIL BOOSIE / WEBBIE / FOXX / TRILL FAM - SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST NEW CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 17h 55m
Saliva - Survival Of the Sickest - 2004 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $5.97 Buy It Now 18h 11m
Survival Sounds - Rubblebucket US $7.83 Buy It Now 20h 31m
Arista WLP Jazz Funk Breaks Promo LP THE HEADHUNTERS Survival Of The Fittest US $29.99 Buy It Now 20h 36m
Capercaillie - Get Out (CD, Survival, Germany Import) US $0.95 [0 bids]
LP - FRANCE PRESS - DOCTORS OF MADNESS (SONS OF SURVIVAL)-1978- POLYDOR 2383 472 US $15.00 Buy It Now 21h 27m
SEALED 12"~LLOYD BANKS - Help x4/Survival x4 Mixes US $2.90 Buy It Now 22h 9m
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD - SURVIVAL - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $13.49 Buy It Now 23h 2m
# Survival Sounds by Various CD near mint! US $8.88 Buy It Now 23h 8m
Grand Funk Railroad LP record - Australian pressing - 'Survival' US $4.39 [0 bids]
SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST(SNUFF,NOFX,LAG WAGON,,NO USE FOR A NAME) C.D.NEW US $13.15 Buy It Now 1 day
PRINCE FATTY - SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST NEW VINYL US $21.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Attack - Survival (2006) Oi! hool isd US $7.06 [0 bids]
The Coup De Grace The Art of Survival Japan CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival 0731454890120, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $16.66 Buy It Now 1 day
AUTHORITY ZERO - STORIES OF SURVIVAL NEW CD US $17.44 Buy It Now 1 day
QUIREBOYS There She Goes Again 12" SURVIVAL 1988 Uk press FREE UK POST US $17.05 Buy It Now 1 day
TIK AND TOK Screen Me Im Yours 12" SURVIVAL 1984 FREE UK POST US $18.66 Buy It Now 1 day
Bill Miller - Art Of Survival CD US $14.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Lil Boosie Webbie Foxx & Trill Fam - Survival Of The Fittest CD US $19.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Treponem Pal - Survival Sounds CD US $29.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Rare Vintage 45 RPM Record DON ELLIS AND THE SURVIVAL On Atlantic Records / DJ US $5.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy SURVIVAL music online Buy SURVIVAL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SURVIVAL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SURVIVAL Crusader ratings distribution

SURVIVAL Crusader reviews

Review by Windhawk
3 stars This official debut album by Dutch outfit survival does have it's charms, as well as a few significant weaknesses.

The idea behind this release is an interesting one - an instrumental concept album based on the crusades from how I read the liner notes. It's very much an individual experience how successful the concept as such is, but at least it's a novel idea.

Jack Langvelt, the main man in this project, is a keyboard player; and keyboards and synthesizers in various guises dominate this production through and through. Majestic, multiple layered constructions with floating synths, keyboard patterns and synth themes are constant from start till finish; with the Hammond organ as the foundation of mostly everything.

Guitars flesh out the soundscapes and add some additional textures; and the piano has much the same function. In terms of style this is symphonic; with a vintage atmosphere spiced with some modern flourishes in the soloing department.

This last aspect is the core weakness of this release though - the soloing. Virtuosic and very well performed, but too meandering and repetitive in general, and in particular for those who like their compositions to have more content.

Fans of instrumental, majestic symphonic rock dominated by the organ and extensive soloing should find this album to pretty interesting though.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#296597) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 29, 2010

Review by ozzy_tom
3 stars According to sources "Survival" was a "real" band from 1981 until 1997. After they split this moniker was taken over by their keyboardist - Jack Langevelt. Along with different musicians he recorded several private pressed albums but "Crusader" can be considered as his real debut because it was issued and promoted by well known for prog-rock fans label - "Musea".

So how does sound 1st proper album of keyboardist who started his professional career in 1981 and had to wait almost 30 years to pull off this release? Taking in consideration so big experience of Jack Langevelt, I have to admit that I had quite big hopes for "Crusader". Unfortunately after listening to it, I felt slightly disappointed because of several important factors. However this release isn't bad at all, some of its flaws made me enjoy Survival's music less than I expected.

Let's describe briefly all of these (instrumental) compositions to find out where Jack succeeded and where he failed:

1. "The Holy Land" - from the beginning Survival assure us that we'll be dealing with very 70s-like, retro-stylized symphonic prog-rock in the tradition of ELP, Trace, Triumvirat, Collegium Musicum or The Nice. Most of "The Holy Land" track is a highly energetic keyboards-driven symph-rocker dominated by Keith Emerson meets Jon Lord-style organ playing (according to Survival's website, digital Hammond XB2-V2 is a "weapon of choice" here, but it sounds truly analog, I can assure you about that!). Besides gritty organ sound we can also enjoy many flashing synthesizer runs and hard rockish electric guitar solos played by the only additional musician - David Dexter.

2. "Beauseant" - it's much different track compared to the previous one. We can still hear roaring Hammond in the background here but majestic sounding synthesizer takes over the main role in "Beauseant". Not bad track but a bit repetitive and soundtrackish for me.

3. "Lamentation" - mellotron-based (clearly digital substitution for mellotron in fact) 1+ minute interlude. Sounds rather melancholic and mellow (no drums here). Not very exciting but nothing's wrong with too.

4. "Crusader" - just like "The Holy Land", this track kicks off with heavy roar of Hammond organ which sounds like taken just from Deep Purple's album in early 70s. Unfortunately this composition is almost completely ruined by hideous drumming!! It's difficult to even describe how horribly percussion sounds here!! I can only describe it as constant, monotonous, ear-shattering rattle poorly programmed on amateur music software. It's a real pity that Jack decided to damage this track so much, because overall it's definitely the best one on the album! It's full of great guitar leads, string-synthesizer backings and - the most important - full blown Hammond solo where Langevelt pulls of phenomenal performance, which sounds like reminiscences of explosive style of Jean-Jaques Kravetz from 70's German heavy-prog band - "Frumpy". I can also add that in fact drum section isn't so bad in this one, the problem is this rattle percussion line which seems to be added later in production process. Anyway great composition but seriously flawed because of poor taste according to percussion section. What a pity that Jack didn't allow some real musician to play drums, but decided to program/play almost all instruments by himself. Poor choice Jack!

5. "Abide with Me" - when this one starts you can immediately find resemblance to "A Whiter Shade of Pale" melody! Anyway it's a rather good track driven by warm organ sound and backing string synthesizer.

6. "Baldwin" - rather boring (I suppose Jack wanted it to be "melancholic", but I'm afraid he failed here) and overlong track led by monotonous synthesizer and background organ. No drums, no energy, nothing to remember after 3+ minutes of this sheer boredom.

7. "I Cried for You" - very similar to previous track but this time main role is played by louder, more high-pitched sounding synthesizer and we also have drums beat here. Unfortunately this composition also doesn't grab my attention, synthesizer sometimes sounds too high and that's why annoying, while drums are uninspired and they're clearly computer (or drum machine) programmed.

8. "Exceptional Friend" - when this track starts, finally we can listen to a little piano-playing. Unfortunately after a while Jack comes back to his too digital sounding synthesizer known from 2 previous compositions. Thankfully after about 2 minutes David Dexter strikes back with some cool Blackmore-inspired electric guitar wailing. Keyboard player also decides to comes back to his trusty Hammond to show us few mean riffs and another spectacular soloing, so 70s mood is with us again! After all along with "The Holy Land" & "Crusader" this track is my favorite one on the album. But in fact I also love quite much the very next track.

9. "The Knights Templar" - this one is a real goodie! In the tradition of Rick Wakeman and Rick Van Der Linden (and Jacula of course!) this is a church-organ (to be more precise it's an electronic version of organ - Kontaktplayer 4) only instrumental which sound truly majestic and magic. Splendid classical music!

10. "Montgisard" - 10 minutes epic? My expectations where very high, unfortunately this track isn't nearly as good as I hoped it to be. In fact whole first 3 minutes is a quirky mess of ear-destructing synthesizer effects, disjointed percussion beats and "let's-play-whatever" guitar licks which didn't make much impression on me (not a good impression anyway...). After this horrible introduction "Montgisard" sounds more or less like standard symphonic prog composition but somehow I don't like it too much probably due to over active synthesizer leads which are too screamy for me (poor old Hammond is mostly used as background instruments here and Dexter's guitar isn't very audible too). I'm fan of Toshio Egawa's (from Gerard) busy style, but I still find "Montgisard" too noisy! After I listened to it several times, I found it a bit more enjoyable than the first time (especially I noticed that Jack plays some truly gritty organ riffs here, they are just not loud enough to overshadow this synthesizer onslaught) but I still don't consider it as a classic by any means.

11. "After All" - very mellow composition led by sparkling piano (what a pity that it sounds so digital...) and echoes-chants-like synthesizer. Quite much boring in fact. I have nothing against slow paced, romantic ballads, but the problem is that "After All" doesn't make any "melancholic" impression on me after all...

In general "Crusader" is an average effort which tries to mix 70s symphonic style and instrumentation with more modern approach and recording techniques. While some parts of this album sounds very inspiring and pleasant for art/prog rock fans, they are often ruined by ugly, programmed drum beats or too digital sounding equipment which supposed to imitate analog instruments. Overall it's not so bad album, but if you like such modern but retro-sounding, keyboard-led symphonic prog I suggest you to check such bands like Par Lindh Project, Gerard, Ars Nova, Little Tragedies, Nexus, Taproban or a bit older (but recently re-formed) Nuova Era. If you already know all of these band, than you can proceed to check Survival. So this is my advice.

And if you ask me which Survival's track is the best, I'd say that Jack Langevelt never sounded better than on Colossus Project compilation called "Dante's Purgatorio: The Divine Comedy - Part II "(from 2009). He recorded there "Canto XIII - Impressions" which is fantastic, almost 10 minutes long mini-epic full of Emerson-inspired, percussive-sounding organ runs. So if you want to see Survival at its best, check "Dante's Purgatorio" first. But if you still prefer listen to "Crusader", I think that the best tracks here are: "The Holy Land", "Crusader"(if you forget horrible rattle percussion), "Exceptional Friend" & pipe-organ-driven "After All".

3,5 stars for "Crusader" from ozzy_tom

BTW this album seems to be a concept about crusader's fights, but it's instrumental release after all...so what the heck??!

Send comments to ozzy_tom (BETA) | Report this review (#408428) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 26, 2011

Post a review of SURVIVAL "Crusader"