CRUSADER

3. Lamentation (1:08)
4. Crusader (6:19)
5. Abide with Me (2:05)
6. Baldwin (3:18)
7. I Cried for You (2:25)
8. Exceptional Friend (7:00)
9. The Knights Templar (2:55)
10. Montgisard (10:23)
11. After All (4:12)

Total time 45:48

Search SURVIVAL Crusader lyrics

Search SURVIVAL Crusader tabs

- Jack Langevelt / keyboards, bass, drums
- David Dexter / guitars

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

SURVIVAL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SURVIVAL Crusader Music

Simmer DownSimmer Down
Strawberry Rain 2014
SurvivalSurvival
Thrill Jockey 2013
THE O'JAYS Survival KZ33150 LP v7721 US $7.99 [0 bids]
41m 28s
TEST PRESSING* Melle Mel & Duke Bootee - Message II (Survival) *MEGA RARE!!* 82 US $83.99 Buy It Now 44m 41s
Anthony Wayne Survival of the Fittest RARE G-FUNK G-RAP OOP US $7.48 [1 bids]
Earth, Wind and Fire System of Survival/Writing on the Wall 7" Picture Sleeve US $5.99 [0 bids]
CD DOOMSDAY PRODUCTIONS SURVIVAL OF THE SICCEST ~MINT ULTRA-RARE! LAS VEGAS RAP US $99.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Drinking Electricity Subliminal / Breakout 12" Survival Records SUR 122 Very Goo US $19.77 [0 bids]
LIECHTENSTEIN ~ Survival Strategies in a Modern World CD [Digipak] Swedish band US $1.99 [0 bids]
DISCO/ Marc Jordan - Survival (Promo) US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Survival of the Fattest by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1996, Fat Wreck Chords) US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
DVT CD Genocide Organ Ex.Order Survival Unit Grunt Anenzephalia Dagda Mor Slogun US $9.99 [0 bids]
BARZEL Born to Destroy CD (Genocide Organ Proiekt Hat Alfarmania Survival Unit) US $8.00 [0 bids]
TIK AND TOK 3 X 12" SINGLES SUMMER IN THE CITY UK SURVIVAL RECORDS SHIP FROM USA US $3.99 [0 bids]
SALIVA Survival of the Sickest CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Survival Sickness, International Noise Conspiracy, Excellent US $3.50 Buy It Now 4h 59m
OSIBISA FUNK MEXICAN EP 1972 RENACIMIENTO (SURVIVAL)/WOYAYA/MUEVETE (MOVE ONE) US $3.50 [0 bids]
EARTH, WIND & FIRE SYSTEM OF SURVIVAL 12" OG '87 FUNK MODERN SOUL SYNTH HOUSE NM US $3.99 [0 bids]
REGGIE LUCAS-"Survival Themes" 1978 Near mint LP / Inner City IC 6010 US $9.95 [0 bids]
HOWARD HEADHUNTER & SURVIVAL CREW-JUNGLE HOUSE SEALED 12" '87 electro house HEAR US $5.99 [0 bids]
6h
SUBLIMINAL CANCER SURVIVOR AID CD-SURVIVE SURVIVAL MIND BRAINWAVE MEDITATION AID US $11.99 Buy It Now 6h 8m
DA SOUL SURVIVORS CD: "DA SURVIVAL KIT D.S.S." OOP GA RAP 2002 US $0.99 [0 bids]
EARTH, WIND & FIRE - System Of Survival/Writing On (PS) US $4.00 Buy It Now 7h 3m
Liechtenstein Survival Strategies In A Modern World CD US $6.21 Buy It Now 8h 27m
ADRIAN SHERWOOD Survival Is Resistance 2x LP NEW VINYL On-U Sound Kode9 US $31.99 Buy It Now 8h 31m
From Sacrifice to Survival [PA] by Skinless (CD, Jun-2003, Relapse Records (USA) US $7.09 Buy It Now 8h 44m
OUTSPOKEN Survival 7" Tour ORANGE sxe hc UNBROKEN TURNING POINT SNAPCASE STRIFE US $0.99 [1 bids]
Grand Funk Railroad GFR Survival Japan US $99.99 Buy It Now 9h 42m
STYLES OF BEYOND killer instinct / survival tactics 12" RECORD US $9.75 Buy It Now 10h 9m
Funeral Oration Survival CD US $11.00 Buy It Now 10h 24m
KRS-One And Buckshot Survival Skills CD US $11.14 Buy It Now 10h 24m
Survival Series - 11355 US $40.00 [0 bids]
OST Theme from Papillon ~ Survival ~ Jerry Goldsmith/ Japan 7" US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 45m
Survival Research Laboratories CD US $13.74 Buy It Now 12h 21m
CAPERCAILLIE - A Prince Among Islands (7" Vinyl EP 1992 - Survival ZB 45393) Vg- US $1.66 [0 bids]
Dialectrix - Cycles of Survival - OBR 062 - Rare Oz Hip Hop !!!!! Near Mint !!! US $23.22 Buy It Now 12h 59m
SURVIVAL NEW CD US $22.22 Buy It Now 13h 11m
THE HEADHUNTERS 'Survival Of The Fittest' Limited Edition 180g Vinyl LP NEW US $18.57 Buy It Now 13h 22m
Survival by US $3.42 Buy It Now 13h 57m
BOB MARLEY Survival + Uprising 2 CD NEW OUT OF PRINT UICY-90376 US $36.99 Buy It Now 14h 2m
BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS Survival CD BRAND NEW Roots Reggae US $13.14 Buy It Now 14h 45m
Melle Mel and Duke Bootee of Grandmaster Flash 5 - Message II (Survival) UK 7" US $11.73 Buy It Now 15h 8m
DOCTORS OF MADNESS - SONS OF SURVIVAL NEW CD US $22.22 Buy It Now 15h 20m
BOB MARLEY SURVIVAL JAPAN MADE SHM MINI LP CD NEW OUT OF PRINT UICY-94596 US $29.99 Buy It Now 15h 28m
ALLEN HOLMQUIST - MEDITATION: A PRACTICAL SURVIVAL KIT NEW CD US $18.41 Buy It Now 15h 41m
OUT CROWD pick me up 12" 3 trk b/w edit and keep me up (sur12031) uk survival 19 US $8.46 Buy It Now 15h 47m
Born from Pain - Survival CD 2008 NEW SEALED Slipcased US $6.69 Buy It Now 15h 55m
TED NUGENT & the AMBOY DUKES -- Survival of the fittest -- Live -- 1970 release US $7.00 Buy It Now 16h 52m
SYSTEM OF SURVIVAL - NEEDLE & THREAD NEW CD US $22.22 Buy It Now 17h 2m
O'JAYS the ojays SURVIVAL let me make love to you RICH GET RICHER new cd US $8.89 Buy It Now 17h 15m
Severed Survival - Autopsy New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $20.55 Buy It Now 17h 25m
SYSTEM OF SURVIVAL - ROUGH EVERYTIME (EP) NEW VINYL US $18.41 Buy It Now 17h 31m
The Coup De Grace / The Art Of Survival JAPAN+1 APCY-8294 *D US $14.99 Buy It Now 18h 15m
AUTOPSY-SEVERED SURVIVAL MDF SHOW SHIRT 2012! slayer,death,venom,watain,bathory US $60.00 Buy It Now 18h 30m
SWEET ADDICTION all i wanted to do 12" 4 trk (surt50) pic sleeve uk survival 199 US $8.37 Buy It Now 18h 36m
ADRIAN SHERWOOD - SURVIVAL & RESISTANCE NEW VINYL US $37.79 Buy It Now 19h 32m
SONZ OF SOUL - Race of Survival 2x12" House US $10.05 Buy It Now 20h
Survival Sickness by The (International) Noise Conspiracy CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 17m
Survival Sickness The (International) Noise Conspiracy CD US $8.18 Buy It Now 20h 19m
HEADHUNTERS Survival Of The Fittest NEAR MINT LP 1st Press Blue Label FUNK Jazz US $19.99 Buy It Now 20h 54m
EDWIN BIRDSONG LP, Dance Of Survival (BAM-BOO US Issue NM/NM) US $21.64 Buy It Now 21h 14m
Mike Dugan & The Survival Band - Workin' - Scarce Private Pa. Press Vinyl NM US $12.00 [0 bids]
THE HEADHUNTERS - SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST/STRAIGHT FROM THE GATE - NEW CD BOXSET US $20.32 Buy It Now 21h 27m
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD, SURVIVAL - GERMAN LP 1C062-80783 US $8.00 Buy It Now 21h 30m
HEADHUNTERS LP, Survival Of The Fittest (ARISTA US Issue VG/EX) US $26.68 Buy It Now 21h 34m
Ed & Peter Epstein- The Art of Survival CD (DOCD 5131, Jazz) RARE Johnny Dyani Q US $16.96 Buy It Now 21h 37m
Rap Memorabilia BOOGIE BOYS Survival of the Freshest PLAYING CARDS LABEL PROMO US $9.99 [0 bids]
The (International) Noise Conspi , Audio CD, Survival Sickness US $6.55 Buy It Now 22h 3m
RLP AND SAMMY DEE my will to survive 12" 3 trk da full vox mix b/w survival and US $8.37 Buy It Now 22h 10m
3'' CD SURVIVAL DANCE TRF JAPAN US $6.99 Buy It Now 22h 22m
SIMPLY RED come to my aid 12" 3 trk survival mix promo in title stickered compan US $8.37 Buy It Now 22h 27m
Survival - Born From Pain US $4.57 Buy It Now 22h 44m
Survival & Other Stories * by Jon Anderson (CD, Jun-2011, Gonzo) BRAND NEW US $11.98 Buy It Now 22h 45m
1 CENT CD Survival of the Sickest [PA] - Saliva SEALED US $0.01 [1 bids]
23h
Art & Survival by Dianne Reeves (CD, Feb-1994, EMI Music Distribution) US $2.99 Buy It Now 23h 18m
Cultural Survival by David Sanchez (Saxophone) (CD, Jun-2008, Concord) US $2.00 [0 bids]
HIGH NOTE REGGAE 45 MARCIA GRIFFITHS TELL ME NOW/SURVIVAL ? US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PLAY Red Movies LP Survival rare synth wave '85 NM uk!! US $130.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SKEETER DAVIS Instinct For Survival RCA Victor 47-9459 promo NM- US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Alterno-Daze: Survival of the Fittest - '80s Various Artists (CD, Rebound) US $7.50 [0 bids]
AUTOPSY Severed Survival RED VINYL 1st COVER + Letter, Inserts, Etc 1st press US $90.00 [2 bids]
SEALED JANE GETZ SURVIVAL OF THE HIPPEST 12" SINGLE LP TTRIUNE INDIE 1986 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY NUMAN this is love 12" 5 trk double 12" pack this is love b/w survival and US $8.37 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY NUMAN this is love 12" 2 trk limited pic disc b/w survival (nump16) uk numa US $8.37 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY NUMAN this is love 12" 2 trk b/w survival with 7 interview flexi disc (num1 US $8.37 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY NUMAN this is love 12" 2 trk b/w survival (num16) pic sleeve uk numa 1986 US $8.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival of the Sickest [PA] by Saliva (CD, Aug-2004, Island (Label)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
Rock N' Roll Survival vinyl LP Bill Haley, Buddy Holly US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Severed survival - CD [USG] US $27.16 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob Marley & The Wailers. Survival. Cassette. US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EARTH WIND AND FIRE system of survival 12" 3 trk house mix white label promo wit US $8.37 Buy It Now 1 day
System Of Survival Back 12" Vinyl Single US $10.89 Buy It Now 1 day
DON ELLIS AND THE SURVIVAL Star Wars WLP PROMO 45 DJ COPY (Mono and Stereo) NM US $19.98 Buy It Now 1 day
EARTH, WIND & FIRE System Of Survival WLP PROMO COPY 45 PICTURE SLEEVE Stereo NM US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival of the Illest Live From 125-NYC Sealed Double Album 731453817616 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Skinless: From Sacrifice To Survival CD SIGNED origin hate eternal vader US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
HOLLIES, THE: Survival of the Fittest/Man Without a Heart (rock NM vinyl 45) US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Grand Funk Railroad 'Survival'...mint vinyl! US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SURVIVAL RESEARCH LABORATORIES NEW CD US $22.98 Buy It Now 1 day
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD SURVIVAL 7 1/2 TAPE SPEED US $39.99 [0 bids]
V/A "Survival Of The Fattest" Tape Fat Wreck Chords NOFX Lagwagon NUFAN 1996 US $2.77 [4 bids]

More places to buy SURVIVAL music online Buy SURVIVAL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SURVIVAL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SURVIVAL Crusader ratings distribution

SURVIVAL Crusader reviews

Review by Windhawk
3 stars This official debut album by Dutch outfit survival does have it's charms, as well as a few significant weaknesses.

The idea behind this release is an interesting one - an instrumental concept album based on the crusades from how I read the liner notes. It's very much an individual experience how successful the concept as such is, but at least it's a novel idea.

Jack Langvelt, the main man in this project, is a keyboard player; and keyboards and synthesizers in various guises dominate this production through and through. Majestic, multiple layered constructions with floating synths, keyboard patterns and synth themes are constant from start till finish; with the Hammond organ as the foundation of mostly everything.

Guitars flesh out the soundscapes and add some additional textures; and the piano has much the same function. In terms of style this is symphonic; with a vintage atmosphere spiced with some modern flourishes in the soloing department.

This last aspect is the core weakness of this release though - the soloing. Virtuosic and very well performed, but too meandering and repetitive in general, and in particular for those who like their compositions to have more content.

Fans of instrumental, majestic symphonic rock dominated by the organ and extensive soloing should find this album to pretty interesting though.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#296597) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 29, 2010

Review by ozzy_tom
3 stars According to sources "Survival" was a "real" band from 1981 until 1997. After they split this moniker was taken over by their keyboardist - Jack Langevelt. Along with different musicians he recorded several private pressed albums but "Crusader" can be considered as his real debut because it was issued and promoted by well known for prog-rock fans label - "Musea".

So how does sound 1st proper album of keyboardist who started his professional career in 1981 and had to wait almost 30 years to pull off this release? Taking in consideration so big experience of Jack Langevelt, I have to admit that I had quite big hopes for "Crusader". Unfortunately after listening to it, I felt slightly disappointed because of several important factors. However this release isn't bad at all, some of its flaws made me enjoy Survival's music less than I expected.

Let's describe briefly all of these (instrumental) compositions to find out where Jack succeeded and where he failed:

1. "The Holy Land" - from the beginning Survival assure us that we'll be dealing with very 70s-like, retro-stylized symphonic prog-rock in the tradition of ELP, Trace, Triumvirat, Collegium Musicum or The Nice. Most of "The Holy Land" track is a highly energetic keyboards-driven symph-rocker dominated by Keith Emerson meets Jon Lord-style organ playing (according to Survival's website, digital Hammond XB2-V2 is a "weapon of choice" here, but it sounds truly analog, I can assure you about that!). Besides gritty organ sound we can also enjoy many flashing synthesizer runs and hard rockish electric guitar solos played by the only additional musician - David Dexter.

2. "Beauseant" - it's much different track compared to the previous one. We can still hear roaring Hammond in the background here but majestic sounding synthesizer takes over the main role in "Beauseant". Not bad track but a bit repetitive and soundtrackish for me.

3. "Lamentation" - mellotron-based (clearly digital substitution for mellotron in fact) 1+ minute interlude. Sounds rather melancholic and mellow (no drums here). Not very exciting but nothing's wrong with too.

4. "Crusader" - just like "The Holy Land", this track kicks off with heavy roar of Hammond organ which sounds like taken just from Deep Purple's album in early 70s. Unfortunately this composition is almost completely ruined by hideous drumming!! It's difficult to even describe how horribly percussion sounds here!! I can only describe it as constant, monotonous, ear-shattering rattle poorly programmed on amateur music software. It's a real pity that Jack decided to damage this track so much, because overall it's definitely the best one on the album! It's full of great guitar leads, string-synthesizer backings and - the most important - full blown Hammond solo where Langevelt pulls of phenomenal performance, which sounds like reminiscences of explosive style of Jean-Jaques Kravetz from 70's German heavy-prog band - "Frumpy". I can also add that in fact drum section isn't so bad in this one, the problem is this rattle percussion line which seems to be added later in production process. Anyway great composition but seriously flawed because of poor taste according to percussion section. What a pity that Jack didn't allow some real musician to play drums, but decided to program/play almost all instruments by himself. Poor choice Jack!

5. "Abide with Me" - when this one starts you can immediately find resemblance to "A Whiter Shade of Pale" melody! Anyway it's a rather good track driven by warm organ sound and backing string synthesizer.

6. "Baldwin" - rather boring (I suppose Jack wanted it to be "melancholic", but I'm afraid he failed here) and overlong track led by monotonous synthesizer and background organ. No drums, no energy, nothing to remember after 3+ minutes of this sheer boredom.

7. "I Cried for You" - very similar to previous track but this time main role is played by louder, more high-pitched sounding synthesizer and we also have drums beat here. Unfortunately this composition also doesn't grab my attention, synthesizer sometimes sounds too high and that's why annoying, while drums are uninspired and they're clearly computer (or drum machine) programmed.

8. "Exceptional Friend" - when this track starts, finally we can listen to a little piano-playing. Unfortunately after a while Jack comes back to his too digital sounding synthesizer known from 2 previous compositions. Thankfully after about 2 minutes David Dexter strikes back with some cool Blackmore-inspired electric guitar wailing. Keyboard player also decides to comes back to his trusty Hammond to show us few mean riffs and another spectacular soloing, so 70s mood is with us again! After all along with "The Holy Land" & "Crusader" this track is my favorite one on the album. But in fact I also love quite much the very next track.

9. "The Knights Templar" - this one is a real goodie! In the tradition of Rick Wakeman and Rick Van Der Linden (and Jacula of course!) this is a church-organ (to be more precise it's an electronic version of organ - Kontaktplayer 4) only instrumental which sound truly majestic and magic. Splendid classical music!

10. "Montgisard" - 10 minutes epic? My expectations where very high, unfortunately this track isn't nearly as good as I hoped it to be. In fact whole first 3 minutes is a quirky mess of ear-destructing synthesizer effects, disjointed percussion beats and "let's-play-whatever" guitar licks which didn't make much impression on me (not a good impression anyway...). After this horrible introduction "Montgisard" sounds more or less like standard symphonic prog composition but somehow I don't like it too much probably due to over active synthesizer leads which are too screamy for me (poor old Hammond is mostly used as background instruments here and Dexter's guitar isn't very audible too). I'm fan of Toshio Egawa's (from Gerard) busy style, but I still find "Montgisard" too noisy! After I listened to it several times, I found it a bit more enjoyable than the first time (especially I noticed that Jack plays some truly gritty organ riffs here, they are just not loud enough to overshadow this synthesizer onslaught) but I still don't consider it as a classic by any means.

11. "After All" - very mellow composition led by sparkling piano (what a pity that it sounds so digital...) and echoes-chants-like synthesizer. Quite much boring in fact. I have nothing against slow paced, romantic ballads, but the problem is that "After All" doesn't make any "melancholic" impression on me after all...

In general "Crusader" is an average effort which tries to mix 70s symphonic style and instrumentation with more modern approach and recording techniques. While some parts of this album sounds very inspiring and pleasant for art/prog rock fans, they are often ruined by ugly, programmed drum beats or too digital sounding equipment which supposed to imitate analog instruments. Overall it's not so bad album, but if you like such modern but retro-sounding, keyboard-led symphonic prog I suggest you to check such bands like Par Lindh Project, Gerard, Ars Nova, Little Tragedies, Nexus, Taproban or a bit older (but recently re-formed) Nuova Era. If you already know all of these band, than you can proceed to check Survival. So this is my advice.

And if you ask me which Survival's track is the best, I'd say that Jack Langevelt never sounded better than on Colossus Project compilation called "Dante's Purgatorio: The Divine Comedy - Part II "(from 2009). He recorded there "Canto XIII - Impressions" which is fantastic, almost 10 minutes long mini-epic full of Emerson-inspired, percussive-sounding organ runs. So if you want to see Survival at its best, check "Dante's Purgatorio" first. But if you still prefer listen to "Crusader", I think that the best tracks here are: "The Holy Land", "Crusader"(if you forget horrible rattle percussion), "Exceptional Friend" & pipe-organ-driven "After All".

3,5 stars for "Crusader" from ozzy_tom

BTW this album seems to be a concept about crusader's fights, but it's instrumental release after all...so what the heck??!

Send comments to ozzy_tom (BETA) | Report this review (#408428) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 26, 2011

Post a review of SURVIVAL "Crusader"