CRUSADER

3. Lamentation (1:08)
4. Crusader (6:19)
5. Abide with Me (2:05)
6. Baldwin (3:18)
7. I Cried for You (2:25)
8. Exceptional Friend (7:00)
9. The Knights Templar (2:55)
10. Montgisard (10:23)
11. After All (4:12)

Total time 45:48

Search SURVIVAL Crusader lyrics

Search SURVIVAL Crusader tabs

- Jack Langevelt / keyboards, bass, drums
- David Dexter / guitars

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

SURVIVAL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SURVIVAL Crusader Music

SurvivalSurvival
Thrill Jockey 2013
Survival Of The Dragon [DVD] By Li Chin Kun,Lan Kung Hsun US $7.92 Buy It Now 32m 4s
LP TED NUGENT & THE AMBOY DUKES "SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST" POLYDOR (original) US $10.99 Buy It Now 34m
Lil Boosie/Webbie - Survival Of The Fittest (2007) - Used - Compact Disc US $5.13 Buy It Now 1h
Survival of the Illest: Live from 125 NYC [PA] by Various Artists US $0.99 [0 bids]
1h
Survival Of The Fitt - Survival Of The Fittest (1990) - Used - Compact Disc US $5.49 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Def Jam Survival Of The Illest Vol. 3 (1998, Def Jam, Promo CD) AUDIO CD ONLY US $2.00 [0 bids]
TOWARD THE UNKNOWN REGION: MALCOLM ARNOLD - A STORY OF SURVIVAL - NEW DVD US $16.27 Buy It Now 1h 54m
GRAND FUNK Survival CD Classic 1971 Album Feelin' Alright, Gimme Shelter US $3.99 [1 bids]
(599D) Meretto, A Method of Urban Survival - DJ CD US $5.05 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Ed & Peter Epstein- The Art of Survival CD (DOCD 5131, Jazz) RARE Johnny Dyani Q US $14.62 Buy It Now 2h 12m
GRAND FUNK Survival VG++ First Records FL-2049 import Taiwan Vietnam album US $48.95 Buy It Now 2h 23m
FOREST FIRE - Survival - CD US $19.84 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Rock N Roll Survival DECCA 75181 Buddy Holly Flamingos Bill Haley VG+ Record US $10.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
INJUNUITY - FIGHT FOR SURVIVAL (729337710924) - NEW CD US $13.97 Buy It Now 3h 52m
EDDIE & SUNSHINE 12" PERFECT STRANGER NM 1983 UK SURVIVAL RECORDS SHIP FROM USA US $3.99 [0 bids]
BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS Survival JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +1 US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
CD Survival of the Spirit Monte Croft US $4.00 Buy It Now 4h 54m
MELLE MEL & DUKE BOOTEE 12" MESSAGE II SURVIVAL 1982 SUGAR HILL ELECTRO SHIP USA US $2.99 [0 bids]
Mike Dugan & The Survival Band - Workin' - Scarce Private Pa. Press Vinyl NM US $12.00 [0 bids]
Doctors Of Madness - Sons Of Survival - OZITCD0046 US $22.34 Buy It Now 5h 59m
The OJays Survival US $3.50 [0 bids]
Krampus - Survival Of The Fittest - NARCD024 US $21.42 Buy It Now 6h 8m
THE SURVIVAL - LA ONDA DE SURVIVAL 1971 MEXICAN HEAVY PSYCH BLUES ROCK REMAST LP US $27.95 Buy It Now 7h 26m
THE PHANTOM SURFERS / SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST (1995) Rare 7" SURF MUSIC !!!!!!!! US $8.99 [0 bids]
2 LP RECORD SET, TED NUGENT, SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST. LIVE. EX/EX/EX. 1971 US $6.75 [0 bids]
Adrian Sherwood - Survival & And Resistance (NEW CD) US $18.13 Buy It Now 8h
Survival - Survival (NEW CD) US $18.98 Buy It Now 8h 33m
Survival of the Fattest by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1996, Fat Wreck Chords) US $2.00 Buy It Now 8h 40m
1 CENT CD Survival of the Sickest Instrumentals - Saliva PROMO US $1.75 [4 bids]
THE O'JAYS SURVIVAL LP 1975 PHILADELPHIA INT. KZ 33150 SHRINK FUNK SOUL US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 8m
Survival Knife - Traces Of Me B/W Name That Tune (NEW 7" VINYL) US $15.18 Buy It Now 9h 22m
THE O'JAYS "SURVIVAL" LP STILL IN SHRINK WRAP! US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 37m
Beginning of Survival, Mitchell, Joni, New US $14.48 Buy It Now 10h 10m
Survival of the Fattest by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1996, Fat Wreck Chords) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Survival of the Sickest [PA] by Saliva (CD, Aug-2004, Island (Label)) US $3.00 Buy It Now 10h 58m
DMX Onyx Def Squad Survival Of The Illest 3 Song Sampler 12" Promo Vinyl 1998 US $2.99 Buy It Now 11h 10m
SONGS OF SURVIVAL: TRADITIONAL MUSIC OF GEORGIA - NEW CD BOXSET US $12.36 Buy It Now 11h 12m
12" jane getz - survival of the hippest... NEW OLD STOCK / UNOPENED US $3.99 [0 bids]
SIMPLY SURVIVAL - New Music Sampler 2001 - Christian Music CCM Pop Rock CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 57m
CAPERCAILLIE Prince Among Islands 1992 Survival 12" EP PICTURE SLEEVE IRISH FOLK US $6.67 Buy It Now 12h 19m
(AX866) Me My Head, Survival In No Mans Land - DJ CD US $9.71 Buy It Now 12h 25m
Grand Funk Railroad - On Time/Survival/Closer to Home (3 LP Set) US $9.99 [0 bids]
LLOYD BANKS / KERI HILSON "HELP / SURVIVAL" *MINT* 12" US $8.99 Buy It Now 12h 32m
mobb deep survival of the fittest 12" record in mint condition 1995 US $12.00 Buy It Now 12h 34m
AX12.CD ALBUM..BEWARE OF THE DOG...SURVIVAL.5 TRACKS..CD ROM BONUS. US $13.90 Buy It Now 13h 10m
O'JAYS, 70s SOUL LP, SURVIVAL, PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL US $1.99 [0 bids]
Play ?- You Don't Look The Same French rare orig' Survival 12" 1983 synth pop US $39.99 Buy It Now 13h 28m
MAD SIN - SURVIVAL OF THE SICKEST (UK) NEW CD US $26.05 Buy It Now 13h 29m
Mike Warren/Survival Kit LP Please Yourself First SEALED US $60.00 Buy It Now 13h 39m
THE O'JAYS LET ME MAKE LOVE TO YOU/ SURVIVAL US $0.85 [0 bids]
Gary William Friedman - Survival Run Original Soundtrack - RARE Vinyl OST US $52.99 [0 bids]
The Second City Survival Kit Spirit LSR-9010 Stereo LP Chicago improv comedy US $14.48 Buy It Now 14h 42m
AUTOPSY**SEVERED SURVIVAL (20TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION)**2 CD SET US $12.79 Buy It Now 15h 7m
Thirteen at Midnight '85 last true friends orig survival uk lp a certain ratio ! US $129.00 Buy It Now 15h 15m
Grand Funk Survival US $12.95 [0 bids]
Survival of the Illest: Live from 125 NYC [PA] by Various Artists (CD,... US $2.00 [0 bids]
THE HEADHUNTERS 'Survival Of The Fittest' Limited Edition 180g Vinyl LP NEW US $18.58 Buy It Now 16h 17m
Grand Funk Survival Lp US $5.99 [0 bids]
Survival [Bonus Track] [Remaster] by Bob Marley & the Wailers (CD, Jul-2001,... US $6.62 Buy It Now 17h 30m
World Trade Center: A True Story of Courage and Survival [Original Music from... US $5.68 Buy It Now 17h 31m
Severed Survival [2 CD] by Autopsy (CD, Feb-2009, 2 Discs, Peaceville Records... US $12.82 Buy It Now 17h 31m
Survival of the Fattest by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1996, Fat Wreck Chords) US $1.71 Buy It Now 17h 31m
Grand Funk Survival LP 1971 Capitol Red Label SW1764 US $5.99 Buy It Now 17h 54m
Sweet Addiction - Caught On A Line CD 4-Track 1990 Survival Records, SURCD 51 US $12.74 Buy It Now 19h 50m
Alterno-Daze Survival of 80's: The Fittest by US $1.78 Buy It Now 19h 57m
Asheni - Butterfly Survival Kit CD US $15.79 Buy It Now 21h 38m
LIFESTYLE/ELEVEN8 - Chiaroscuro (Survival remix) - 12" promo US $15.01 Buy It Now 22h 27m
GRAND FUNK SURVIVAL 1971 SW 764 3 COLOR PHOTO INSERTS LP VG+ / EX US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Autopsy - Severed Survival 2 Cd Edition (2009) - Used - Compact Disc US $9.14 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival of the Sickest [PA] by Saliva (CD, Aug-2004, Island (Label)) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID SANCHEZ - CULTURAL SURVIVAL _ CD NEW US $8.49 Buy It Now 1 day
The Grip(12" Vinyl)Look What You've Done-Survival-SUR T 49-UK-VG/Ex US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Grip(12"Vinyl)American Dream-UK-ZT43750-Survival-Ex/Ex US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EARTH WIND & FIRE 'SYSTEM OF SURVIVAL' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 7" SINGLE US $2.11 Buy It Now 1 day
SALIVA - SURVIVAL OF THE SICKEST [PA] - NEW CD US $9.49 Buy It Now 1 day
SURVIVAL I AM A SINGER / VARIOUS NEW CD US $33.30 Buy It Now 1 day
Unwound S/T LP - NEW, SEALED, OOP (Kill Rock Stars, Survival Knife) US $14.99 [0 bids]
BOB MARLEY. SURVIVAL. 12 " FRANCE 1979. US $1.99 [1 bids]
TIK AND TOK higher ground 7" PS EX/EX uk survival US $11.80 Buy It Now 1 day
MADONNA Bedtime Stories 1994 Taiwan w/obi CD Survival-Secret-Take A Bow-Human US $9.99 [0 bids]
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD Survival CD JAPANESE PRESSING US $46.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival 7" Start Revolution reggae afro latin Barbados west indies HEAR US $34.99 [0 bids]
MYTHS 1 INSTRUCTIONS FOR SURVIVAL CD AUSTRIAN IMPORT CD MARK STEWART + MAFFIA US $10.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BOB MARLEY & WAILERS LP Survival TUFF GONG roots reggae VG+ US $8.00 [0 bids]
Mad Sin - Survival Of The Sickest [CD New] US $17.39 Buy It Now 1 day
FLOBOTS-SURVIVAL STORY-ADVANCE PROMO CD-RARE-U.S.-12T US $3.00 [0 bids]
SURVIVAL TOP SINGER ESSENTIAL ALBUM - SURVIVAL TOP SINGER ESSENTIAL ALBUM NEW CD US $27.57 Buy It Now 1 day
Cultural Survival * by David Sanchez (CD 2008) *SEALED* US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival Of The Illest: Live From 125 N.Y.C. Various Artists MUSIC CD US $7.87 Buy It Now 1 day
Grand Funk Railroad - Survival [CD New] US $7.92 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob Marley + Wailers Survival ILPS 9542 Vinyl Record LP 1979 In-Shrink + HYPE US $26.70 Buy It Now 1 day
Violent Outburst: Survival Signs 7" US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CD - Various Artists "The Ultimate Party Survival Kit" - Excellent Cond -NO CASE US $4.19 Buy It Now 1 day
EARTH WIND & FIRE "System of Survival" 12" VINYL SINGLE - NM US $2.99 [0 bids]
TED NUGENT Survival Of The Fittest - Live LP 1971 --- hard rock psych ep 7 12 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KALI - SURVIVAL (UK) NEW CD US $29.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Skeeter Davis RCA DJ 9459 Instinct For Survival US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Dodsferd - Parasitic Survival Of The Human Race [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 1 day
MOBB DEEP SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST REMIX 12" INCH US $4.75 [0 bids]
? Smoke Rise - Survival of St. Joan (2 LPs) (gatefold,booklet) bizarre thud rock US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy SURVIVAL music online Buy SURVIVAL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SURVIVAL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SURVIVAL Crusader ratings distribution

SURVIVAL Crusader reviews

Review by Windhawk
3 stars This official debut album by Dutch outfit survival does have it's charms, as well as a few significant weaknesses.

The idea behind this release is an interesting one - an instrumental concept album based on the crusades from how I read the liner notes. It's very much an individual experience how successful the concept as such is, but at least it's a novel idea.

Jack Langvelt, the main man in this project, is a keyboard player; and keyboards and synthesizers in various guises dominate this production through and through. Majestic, multiple layered constructions with floating synths, keyboard patterns and synth themes are constant from start till finish; with the Hammond organ as the foundation of mostly everything.

Guitars flesh out the soundscapes and add some additional textures; and the piano has much the same function. In terms of style this is symphonic; with a vintage atmosphere spiced with some modern flourishes in the soloing department.

This last aspect is the core weakness of this release though - the soloing. Virtuosic and very well performed, but too meandering and repetitive in general, and in particular for those who like their compositions to have more content.

Fans of instrumental, majestic symphonic rock dominated by the organ and extensive soloing should find this album to pretty interesting though.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#296597) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 29, 2010

Review by ozzy_tom
3 stars According to sources "Survival" was a "real" band from 1981 until 1997. After they split this moniker was taken over by their keyboardist - Jack Langevelt. Along with different musicians he recorded several private pressed albums but "Crusader" can be considered as his real debut because it was issued and promoted by well known for prog-rock fans label - "Musea".

So how does sound 1st proper album of keyboardist who started his professional career in 1981 and had to wait almost 30 years to pull off this release? Taking in consideration so big experience of Jack Langevelt, I have to admit that I had quite big hopes for "Crusader". Unfortunately after listening to it, I felt slightly disappointed because of several important factors. However this release isn't bad at all, some of its flaws made me enjoy Survival's music less than I expected.

Let's describe briefly all of these (instrumental) compositions to find out where Jack succeeded and where he failed:

1. "The Holy Land" - from the beginning Survival assure us that we'll be dealing with very 70s-like, retro-stylized symphonic prog-rock in the tradition of ELP, Trace, Triumvirat, Collegium Musicum or The Nice. Most of "The Holy Land" track is a highly energetic keyboards-driven symph-rocker dominated by Keith Emerson meets Jon Lord-style organ playing (according to Survival's website, digital Hammond XB2-V2 is a "weapon of choice" here, but it sounds truly analog, I can assure you about that!). Besides gritty organ sound we can also enjoy many flashing synthesizer runs and hard rockish electric guitar solos played by the only additional musician - David Dexter.

2. "Beauseant" - it's much different track compared to the previous one. We can still hear roaring Hammond in the background here but majestic sounding synthesizer takes over the main role in "Beauseant". Not bad track but a bit repetitive and soundtrackish for me.

3. "Lamentation" - mellotron-based (clearly digital substitution for mellotron in fact) 1+ minute interlude. Sounds rather melancholic and mellow (no drums here). Not very exciting but nothing's wrong with too.

4. "Crusader" - just like "The Holy Land", this track kicks off with heavy roar of Hammond organ which sounds like taken just from Deep Purple's album in early 70s. Unfortunately this composition is almost completely ruined by hideous drumming!! It's difficult to even describe how horribly percussion sounds here!! I can only describe it as constant, monotonous, ear-shattering rattle poorly programmed on amateur music software. It's a real pity that Jack decided to damage this track so much, because overall it's definitely the best one on the album! It's full of great guitar leads, string-synthesizer backings and - the most important - full blown Hammond solo where Langevelt pulls of phenomenal performance, which sounds like reminiscences of explosive style of Jean-Jaques Kravetz from 70's German heavy-prog band - "Frumpy". I can also add that in fact drum section isn't so bad in this one, the problem is this rattle percussion line which seems to be added later in production process. Anyway great composition but seriously flawed because of poor taste according to percussion section. What a pity that Jack didn't allow some real musician to play drums, but decided to program/play almost all instruments by himself. Poor choice Jack!

5. "Abide with Me" - when this one starts you can immediately find resemblance to "A Whiter Shade of Pale" melody! Anyway it's a rather good track driven by warm organ sound and backing string synthesizer.

6. "Baldwin" - rather boring (I suppose Jack wanted it to be "melancholic", but I'm afraid he failed here) and overlong track led by monotonous synthesizer and background organ. No drums, no energy, nothing to remember after 3+ minutes of this sheer boredom.

7. "I Cried for You" - very similar to previous track but this time main role is played by louder, more high-pitched sounding synthesizer and we also have drums beat here. Unfortunately this composition also doesn't grab my attention, synthesizer sometimes sounds too high and that's why annoying, while drums are uninspired and they're clearly computer (or drum machine) programmed.

8. "Exceptional Friend" - when this track starts, finally we can listen to a little piano-playing. Unfortunately after a while Jack comes back to his too digital sounding synthesizer known from 2 previous compositions. Thankfully after about 2 minutes David Dexter strikes back with some cool Blackmore-inspired electric guitar wailing. Keyboard player also decides to comes back to his trusty Hammond to show us few mean riffs and another spectacular soloing, so 70s mood is with us again! After all along with "The Holy Land" & "Crusader" this track is my favorite one on the album. But in fact I also love quite much the very next track.

9. "The Knights Templar" - this one is a real goodie! In the tradition of Rick Wakeman and Rick Van Der Linden (and Jacula of course!) this is a church-organ (to be more precise it's an electronic version of organ - Kontaktplayer 4) only instrumental which sound truly majestic and magic. Splendid classical music!

10. "Montgisard" - 10 minutes epic? My expectations where very high, unfortunately this track isn't nearly as good as I hoped it to be. In fact whole first 3 minutes is a quirky mess of ear-destructing synthesizer effects, disjointed percussion beats and "let's-play-whatever" guitar licks which didn't make much impression on me (not a good impression anyway...). After this horrible introduction "Montgisard" sounds more or less like standard symphonic prog composition but somehow I don't like it too much probably due to over active synthesizer leads which are too screamy for me (poor old Hammond is mostly used as background instruments here and Dexter's guitar isn't very audible too). I'm fan of Toshio Egawa's (from Gerard) busy style, but I still find "Montgisard" too noisy! After I listened to it several times, I found it a bit more enjoyable than the first time (especially I noticed that Jack plays some truly gritty organ riffs here, they are just not loud enough to overshadow this synthesizer onslaught) but I still don't consider it as a classic by any means.

11. "After All" - very mellow composition led by sparkling piano (what a pity that it sounds so digital...) and echoes-chants-like synthesizer. Quite much boring in fact. I have nothing against slow paced, romantic ballads, but the problem is that "After All" doesn't make any "melancholic" impression on me after all...

In general "Crusader" is an average effort which tries to mix 70s symphonic style and instrumentation with more modern approach and recording techniques. While some parts of this album sounds very inspiring and pleasant for art/prog rock fans, they are often ruined by ugly, programmed drum beats or too digital sounding equipment which supposed to imitate analog instruments. Overall it's not so bad album, but if you like such modern but retro-sounding, keyboard-led symphonic prog I suggest you to check such bands like Par Lindh Project, Gerard, Ars Nova, Little Tragedies, Nexus, Taproban or a bit older (but recently re-formed) Nuova Era. If you already know all of these band, than you can proceed to check Survival. So this is my advice.

And if you ask me which Survival's track is the best, I'd say that Jack Langevelt never sounded better than on Colossus Project compilation called "Dante's Purgatorio: The Divine Comedy - Part II "(from 2009). He recorded there "Canto XIII - Impressions" which is fantastic, almost 10 minutes long mini-epic full of Emerson-inspired, percussive-sounding organ runs. So if you want to see Survival at its best, check "Dante's Purgatorio" first. But if you still prefer listen to "Crusader", I think that the best tracks here are: "The Holy Land", "Crusader"(if you forget horrible rattle percussion), "Exceptional Friend" & pipe-organ-driven "After All".

3,5 stars for "Crusader" from ozzy_tom

BTW this album seems to be a concept about crusader's fights, but it's instrumental release after all...so what the heck??!

Send comments to ozzy_tom (BETA) | Report this review (#408428) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 26, 2011

Post a review of SURVIVAL "Crusader"