CRUSADER

3. Lamentation (1:08)
4. Crusader (6:19)
5. Abide with Me (2:05)
6. Baldwin (3:18)
7. I Cried for You (2:25)
8. Exceptional Friend (7:00)
9. The Knights Templar (2:55)
10. Montgisard (10:23)
11. After All (4:12)

Total time 45:48

Search SURVIVAL Crusader lyrics

Search SURVIVAL Crusader tabs

- Jack Langevelt / keyboards, bass, drums
- David Dexter / guitars

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

SURVIVAL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SURVIVAL Crusader Music

SurvivalSurvival
Thrill Jockey 2013
Simmer Down [Vinyl]Simmer Down [Vinyl]
Strawberry Rain 2014
Vinyl$16.79
AUTHORITY ZERO - STORIES OF SURVIVAL [PA] - NEW CD US $10.19 Buy It Now 1h 41m
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD Survival CD JAPANESE PRESSING US $43.75 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Survival and Beauty: The Heroic Music of Chopin (CD) Fr US $15.50 Buy It Now 2h 2m
MYTHS 1 INSTRUCTIONS FOR SURVIVAL CD AUSTRIAN IMPORT CD MARK STEWART + MAFFIA US $10.95 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Def Jam Survival of the Illest Live from 125 N.Y.C. vinyl album US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h
Mad Sin - Survival Of The Sickest [CD New] US $14.05 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Mike Dugan & The Survival Band - Workin' - Scarce Private Pa. Press Vinyl NM US $12.00 [0 bids]
EARTH, WIND & FIRE : SYSTEM OF SURVIVAL / WRITING ON THE WALL US $3.49 Buy It Now 3h 30m
O'JAYS : LET ME MAKE LOVE TO YOU / SURVIVAL US $1.49 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Survival of the Illest: Live from 125 NYC [PA] by Various Artists US $0.99 [0 bids]
RARE CAPERCAILLIE FEAR A BHATA (OH! MY BOATMAN) 1991 SURVIVAL CD CELTIC FOLK US $12.95 Buy It Now 3h 50m
SURVIVAL TOP SINGER ESSENTIAL ALBUM - SURVIVAL TOP SINGER ESSENTIAL ALBUM NEW CD US $25.95 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Survival Of The Illest: Live From 125 N.Y.C. Various Artists MUSIC CD US $7.87 Buy It Now 4h
Grand Funk Railroad - Survival [CD New] US $7.59 Buy It Now 4h 2m
SALIVA - SURVIVAL OF THE SICKEST [PA] - NEW CD US $6.48 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Violent Outburst: Survival Signs 7" US $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 55m
THROUGH THE DISCIPLINE Art Of Survival RARE CD Hatebreed IRATE Full Blown Chaos US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h
CD - Various Artists "The Ultimate Party Survival Kit" - Excellent Cond -NO CASE US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
TED NUGENT Survival Of The Fittest - Live LP 1971 --- hard rock psych ep 7 12 US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 12m
LOT:4 TESTED 8 TRACK TAPES-GRAND FUNK-CLOSER TO HOME, ON TIME, SURVIVAL, GFR US $19.95 [0 bids]
Bob Marley Survival CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Skeeter Davis RCA DJ 9459 Instinct For Survival US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 46m
KALI - SURVIVAL (UK) NEW CD US $27.39 Buy It Now 6h 51m
Dodsferd - Parasitic Survival Of The Human Race [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 7h 5m
? Smoke Rise - Survival of St. Joan (2 LPs) (gatefold,booklet) bizarre thud rock US $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 14m
Survival - Simmer Down [Vinyl New] US $25.15 Buy It Now 8h 4m
Survival - Simmer Down [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 8h 4m
Survival Top Singer Essential Album [CD New] US $22.85 Buy It Now 8h 4m
1987 EARTH, WIND & FIRE "SYSTEM OF SURVIVAL" 12" PROMO SINGLE REMIX VINYL NM US $1.79 Buy It Now 8h 21m
Brain Idea - The Survival Scrolls LP Permanent Records US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 37m
Stories of Survival, Authority Zero, Good US $6.49 Buy It Now 8h 59m
JAZZ FUNK LP - THE HEADHUNTERS - SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST (1975) ARISTA 4038 VG++ US $19.99 [0 bids]
HOWARD HEADHUNTER & SURVIVAL CREW: Jungle House (soul vinyl 12) US $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 37m
Loose Power [Digipak] by Survival Knife (CD, Apr-2014, Fat Possum) US $1.00 [0 bids]
TED NUGENT & AMBOY DUKES: Survival Of The Fittest, Live LP (re, shrink) Rock & US $12.00 Buy It Now 10h 29m
Fountains of Wayne - Fountains of Wayne (CD 1997) Features "Survival Car" US $6.47 Buy It Now 10h 34m
SIMPLY SURVIVAL - New Music Sampler 2001 - Christian Music CCM Pop Rock CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 49m
World Trade Center: A True Story of Courage and Survival [Original Music from... US $12.50 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Survival of the Sickest [PA] by Saliva (CD, Aug-2004, Island (Label)) US $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 10m
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD "Survival" green label vinyl LP 1971 US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Ted Nugent Survival of Fittest - LIVE! 24-4035 33 RPM Vinyl LP Record VG+ US $3.99 [1 bids]
LIECHTENSTEIN ~ Survival Strategies in a Modern World CD [Digipak] Swedish band US $1.99 [0 bids]
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD Survival LP 1971 Capitol/EMI SW-764 Red Label US $0.99 [0 bids]
NEW - Only Law Is Survival by Hate Plow US $6.50 Buy It Now 12h 42m
JACKIE BROWN - SURVIVAL / STAR HAWK LABEL / SEALED 1990S US $0.98 [1 bids]
Absolut: Punk Survival 12" (new) US $10.80 Buy It Now 13h 59m
Deborah Holland - The Book of Survival (1999 Gadfly) CD US $8.10 [0 bids]
THE INTERNATIONAL NOISE CONSPIRACY - SURVIVAL SICKNESS - CD - NEW/SEALED US $3.99 Buy It Now 14h 44m
Ultimate Party Survival Kit by Various Artists (CD, Sep-1995, Risky Business) US $0.99 [0 bids]
2 X 7" THIRTEEN AT MIDNIGHT UK SURVIVAL RECORDS CLIMB DOWN / SKIN DEEP SHIP USA US $2.99 [0 bids]
2 X 7" EDDIE & SUNSHINE UK SURVIVAL RECORDS - ALL I SEE IS YOU PERFECT STRANGER US $2.99 [0 bids]
EDDIE & SUNSHINE 12" PERFECT STRANGER NM 1983 UK SURVIVAL RECORDS SHIP FROM USA US $2.99 [0 bids]
MELLE MEL & DUKE BOOTEE 12" MESSAGE II SURVIVAL 1982 SUGAR HILL ELECTRO SHIP USA US $2.99 [0 bids]
The O'Jays-Survival-LP-OG Sleeve-Philadelphia-KZ 33150-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
VAR. ART. - Survival of The Fattest- Fat Music Vol.2 (1 CD) [Fat Wreck Chords] US $6.96 Buy It Now 17h 6m
OUR SURVIVAL DEPENDS ON US - Painful Stories Told With A Passion For Life CD US $13.99 Buy It Now 17h 26m
SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST FAT MUSIC VOLUME II Cd US $14.34 Buy It Now 18h 52m
LUCKY COUNTRY SURVIVAL BAND "INSTANT NUCLEAR NATION" 7" 45 RECORD P/S US $10.50 Buy It Now 19h 52m
DIALECTRIX Cycles Of Survival 2008 oz hip hop rap obese pegz drapht hilltop OG US $7.07 [1 bids]
Tik & Tok(7" Vinyl)Screen Me (I'm Yours)-Survival-SUR 020-UK-VG/Ex US $9.99 Buy It Now 21h 27m
Tik & Tok(7" Vinyl)Cool Runnings-Survival-SUR 016-UK-Ex/NM US $11.99 Buy It Now 21h 27m
Eddie & Sunshine(7" Vinyl)There's Someone Following Me-Survival-SUR 018-France-V US $11.99 Buy It Now 21h 32m
TED NUGENT AMBOY DUKES SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST LIVE LP US $12.00 Buy It Now 23h 5m
Treponem Pal - Survival Sounds [CD New] US $29.10 Buy It Now 23h 11m
Grand Funk Survival in shrink! US $5.00 [0 bids]
mobb deep survival of the fittest 12" record in mint condition 1995 US $12.00 Buy It Now 23h 49m
Grand Funk Railroad - Survival CD - Japanese Release - Near Mint US $26.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Rock N Roll Survival DECCA 75181 Buddy Holly Flamingos Bill Haley VG+ Record US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DVT CD Genocide Organ Ex.Order Survival Unit Grunt Anenzephalia Dagda Mor Slogun US $9.99 [0 bids]
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD ***SURVIVAL**** CAPITAL RECORDS US $1.50 [0 bids]
God Quest - Survival RARE HTF FRESNO CALIFORNIA G-FUNK TELLY MARCUS JACOB Demo US $40.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Def Jam Survival Of The Illest Vol. 3 (1998, Def Jam, Promo CD) AUDIO CD ONLY US $2.00 [1 bids]
Survival Sickness by International Noise Conspiracy US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EARTH, WIND & FIRE System of survival 7" vinyl record single NEAR MINT US $1.22 [0 bids]
Survival Of The Fittest New Orleans Rap CD RMC Lil Marcus Underestimated KOD US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD SURVIVAL LP GERMAN IMPORT US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival of the Sickest by Saliva (Parental Advisory Vers.) (CD) G+ US $0.99 [0 bids]
Survival of the Fattest Lp, NOFX, Propaghandi, Lagwagon, Punk Rock. US $10.00 [0 bids]
JIMMY JAMES- A MAN LIKE ME- STATESIDE- SS 2209- B/W SURVIVAL US $3.23 [0 bids]
EARTH WIND AND FIRE system of survival 7" PS EX/EX uk US $11.33 Buy It Now 1 day
Space Minds, New Worlds, Survival of America Leroy Jenkins CD 1989 Tomato US $12.50 [0 bids]
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD LP "SURVIVAL" CAPITOL SW-764 US $2.00 [0 bids]
Earth, Wind & Fire - System of Survival R&B 45 UNPLAYED US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival of the Fattest by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1996, Fat Wreck Chords) US $1.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Deborah Holland - Book Of Survival [CD New] US $14.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Kublai Khan - Balancing Survival & Happiness [CD New] US $10.19 Buy It Now 1 day
Grand Funk Railroad 7" 45 DJ PROMO HEAR Gimme Shelter SURVIVAL ROLLING STONES US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Various Artists, Survival of the Fattest Audio CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ROLLING STONES - Desert Island Survival Kit CD - rare - from 1994 US $17.95 [0 bids]
HEAR! Private Rock 45 SKY Key to Survival on Larak US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MATT HECKERT MECHANICAL SOUND ORCHESTRA CD Survival Research Labs STEAMPUNK US $13.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Paradise Road Song of Survival CBS 1997 Masterworks Buy 1 CD- Get 1 Free US $7.56 Buy It Now 1 day
TED NUGENT/SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST LIVE POLDOR-4035 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Earth, Wind & Fire 1987 "System of Survival" (US) 12" 33RPM Maxi-Single Record US $2.55 [0 bids]
From Sacrifice to Survival [PA] by Skinless (CD, Jun-2003, Relapse Records (U... US $4.99 [0 bids]
Earth, Wind and Fire System of Survival/Writing on the Wall 7" Picture Sleeve US $5.99 [0 bids]
SKINLESS - Lot of 3 CDs - Weak, Demise, Survival - see pic... US $15.00 [0 bids]
International Noise Conspiracy - Survival Sickness (2000) - Used - Compact CD US $3.94 [0 bids]
"ROCK & ROLL SURVIVAL"VARIOUS ARTISTS-LP-1972 CORAL CPS 88/ UK / EX+ US $8.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Survival by Stefanie Fix (CD, May-2000, Hand to Mouth Recordings) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy SURVIVAL music online Buy SURVIVAL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SURVIVAL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SURVIVAL Crusader ratings distribution

SURVIVAL Crusader reviews

Review by Windhawk
3 stars This official debut album by Dutch outfit survival does have it's charms, as well as a few significant weaknesses.

The idea behind this release is an interesting one - an instrumental concept album based on the crusades from how I read the liner notes. It's very much an individual experience how successful the concept as such is, but at least it's a novel idea.

Jack Langvelt, the main man in this project, is a keyboard player; and keyboards and synthesizers in various guises dominate this production through and through. Majestic, multiple layered constructions with floating synths, keyboard patterns and synth themes are constant from start till finish; with the Hammond organ as the foundation of mostly everything.

Guitars flesh out the soundscapes and add some additional textures; and the piano has much the same function. In terms of style this is symphonic; with a vintage atmosphere spiced with some modern flourishes in the soloing department.

This last aspect is the core weakness of this release though - the soloing. Virtuosic and very well performed, but too meandering and repetitive in general, and in particular for those who like their compositions to have more content.

Fans of instrumental, majestic symphonic rock dominated by the organ and extensive soloing should find this album to pretty interesting though.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#296597) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 29, 2010

Review by ozzy_tom
3 stars According to sources "Survival" was a "real" band from 1981 until 1997. After they split this moniker was taken over by their keyboardist - Jack Langevelt. Along with different musicians he recorded several private pressed albums but "Crusader" can be considered as his real debut because it was issued and promoted by well known for prog-rock fans label - "Musea".

So how does sound 1st proper album of keyboardist who started his professional career in 1981 and had to wait almost 30 years to pull off this release? Taking in consideration so big experience of Jack Langevelt, I have to admit that I had quite big hopes for "Crusader". Unfortunately after listening to it, I felt slightly disappointed because of several important factors. However this release isn't bad at all, some of its flaws made me enjoy Survival's music less than I expected.

Let's describe briefly all of these (instrumental) compositions to find out where Jack succeeded and where he failed:

1. "The Holy Land" - from the beginning Survival assure us that we'll be dealing with very 70s-like, retro-stylized symphonic prog-rock in the tradition of ELP, Trace, Triumvirat, Collegium Musicum or The Nice. Most of "The Holy Land" track is a highly energetic keyboards-driven symph-rocker dominated by Keith Emerson meets Jon Lord-style organ playing (according to Survival's website, digital Hammond XB2-V2 is a "weapon of choice" here, but it sounds truly analog, I can assure you about that!). Besides gritty organ sound we can also enjoy many flashing synthesizer runs and hard rockish electric guitar solos played by the only additional musician - David Dexter.

2. "Beauseant" - it's much different track compared to the previous one. We can still hear roaring Hammond in the background here but majestic sounding synthesizer takes over the main role in "Beauseant". Not bad track but a bit repetitive and soundtrackish for me.

3. "Lamentation" - mellotron-based (clearly digital substitution for mellotron in fact) 1+ minute interlude. Sounds rather melancholic and mellow (no drums here). Not very exciting but nothing's wrong with too.

4. "Crusader" - just like "The Holy Land", this track kicks off with heavy roar of Hammond organ which sounds like taken just from Deep Purple's album in early 70s. Unfortunately this composition is almost completely ruined by hideous drumming!! It's difficult to even describe how horribly percussion sounds here!! I can only describe it as constant, monotonous, ear-shattering rattle poorly programmed on amateur music software. It's a real pity that Jack decided to damage this track so much, because overall it's definitely the best one on the album! It's full of great guitar leads, string-synthesizer backings and - the most important - full blown Hammond solo where Langevelt pulls of phenomenal performance, which sounds like reminiscences of explosive style of Jean-Jaques Kravetz from 70's German heavy-prog band - "Frumpy". I can also add that in fact drum section isn't so bad in this one, the problem is this rattle percussion line which seems to be added later in production process. Anyway great composition but seriously flawed because of poor taste according to percussion section. What a pity that Jack didn't allow some real musician to play drums, but decided to program/play almost all instruments by himself. Poor choice Jack!

5. "Abide with Me" - when this one starts you can immediately find resemblance to "A Whiter Shade of Pale" melody! Anyway it's a rather good track driven by warm organ sound and backing string synthesizer.

6. "Baldwin" - rather boring (I suppose Jack wanted it to be "melancholic", but I'm afraid he failed here) and overlong track led by monotonous synthesizer and background organ. No drums, no energy, nothing to remember after 3+ minutes of this sheer boredom.

7. "I Cried for You" - very similar to previous track but this time main role is played by louder, more high-pitched sounding synthesizer and we also have drums beat here. Unfortunately this composition also doesn't grab my attention, synthesizer sometimes sounds too high and that's why annoying, while drums are uninspired and they're clearly computer (or drum machine) programmed.

8. "Exceptional Friend" - when this track starts, finally we can listen to a little piano-playing. Unfortunately after a while Jack comes back to his too digital sounding synthesizer known from 2 previous compositions. Thankfully after about 2 minutes David Dexter strikes back with some cool Blackmore-inspired electric guitar wailing. Keyboard player also decides to comes back to his trusty Hammond to show us few mean riffs and another spectacular soloing, so 70s mood is with us again! After all along with "The Holy Land" & "Crusader" this track is my favorite one on the album. But in fact I also love quite much the very next track.

9. "The Knights Templar" - this one is a real goodie! In the tradition of Rick Wakeman and Rick Van Der Linden (and Jacula of course!) this is a church-organ (to be more precise it's an electronic version of organ - Kontaktplayer 4) only instrumental which sound truly majestic and magic. Splendid classical music!

10. "Montgisard" - 10 minutes epic? My expectations where very high, unfortunately this track isn't nearly as good as I hoped it to be. In fact whole first 3 minutes is a quirky mess of ear-destructing synthesizer effects, disjointed percussion beats and "let's-play-whatever" guitar licks which didn't make much impression on me (not a good impression anyway...). After this horrible introduction "Montgisard" sounds more or less like standard symphonic prog composition but somehow I don't like it too much probably due to over active synthesizer leads which are too screamy for me (poor old Hammond is mostly used as background instruments here and Dexter's guitar isn't very audible too). I'm fan of Toshio Egawa's (from Gerard) busy style, but I still find "Montgisard" too noisy! After I listened to it several times, I found it a bit more enjoyable than the first time (especially I noticed that Jack plays some truly gritty organ riffs here, they are just not loud enough to overshadow this synthesizer onslaught) but I still don't consider it as a classic by any means.

11. "After All" - very mellow composition led by sparkling piano (what a pity that it sounds so digital...) and echoes-chants-like synthesizer. Quite much boring in fact. I have nothing against slow paced, romantic ballads, but the problem is that "After All" doesn't make any "melancholic" impression on me after all...

In general "Crusader" is an average effort which tries to mix 70s symphonic style and instrumentation with more modern approach and recording techniques. While some parts of this album sounds very inspiring and pleasant for art/prog rock fans, they are often ruined by ugly, programmed drum beats or too digital sounding equipment which supposed to imitate analog instruments. Overall it's not so bad album, but if you like such modern but retro-sounding, keyboard-led symphonic prog I suggest you to check such bands like Par Lindh Project, Gerard, Ars Nova, Little Tragedies, Nexus, Taproban or a bit older (but recently re-formed) Nuova Era. If you already know all of these band, than you can proceed to check Survival. So this is my advice.

And if you ask me which Survival's track is the best, I'd say that Jack Langevelt never sounded better than on Colossus Project compilation called "Dante's Purgatorio: The Divine Comedy - Part II "(from 2009). He recorded there "Canto XIII - Impressions" which is fantastic, almost 10 minutes long mini-epic full of Emerson-inspired, percussive-sounding organ runs. So if you want to see Survival at its best, check "Dante's Purgatorio" first. But if you still prefer listen to "Crusader", I think that the best tracks here are: "The Holy Land", "Crusader"(if you forget horrible rattle percussion), "Exceptional Friend" & pipe-organ-driven "After All".

3,5 stars for "Crusader" from ozzy_tom

BTW this album seems to be a concept about crusader's fights, but it's instrumental release after all...so what the heck??!

Send comments to ozzy_tom (BETA) | Report this review (#408428) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 26, 2011

Post a review of SURVIVAL "Crusader"