BLACK GARDEN

Good, but non-essential

Buy K2 Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1. Black Garden (6:25)
2. Passage To The Deep (11:35)
3. Widows Watch (6:37)
4. Encounter Or Absence (7:11)
5. Storm At Sunset (11:05)
6. Summer's Fall (2:12)
7. Path Of The Warrior (10:43)

Search K2 Black Garden lyrics

- Doug Sanborn / drums, vocals

Label: Magna Carta

Thanks to rushfan4 for the addition
and to Snow Dog for the last updates

K2 MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy K2 Black Garden Music

Black GardenBlack Garden
Magna Carta 2010

More places to buy K2 music online Buy K2 & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for K2 DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

K2 Black Garden ratings distribution

K2 Black Garden reviews

Review by lor68
3 stars Well, this time I can not completely "forgive" them for their replacement of A. Holdsworth, by means of a good guitarist like Karl Johnson, cause the original project should have been remarked as the re-birth of the UK famous superband (in spite of E.Jobson and J. Wetton lacking), in the main concept at least; but now, by going back to their beginning once again, the band has been obliged to reset everything, even though They are well driven by the mastermind Ken Jacquess here and their flawless playing is unequivocal.

In fact his plot develops the beautiful story of the first inhabitants who colonized the wild islands, cut-off from the civilization of the modern world; so, by using some fine lyrics and capturing the emotion of the first adventures, Ken has performed a good job...ok some music passages are mellow and the album plot predictable as well, but it's not so much derivative and in vein of such a classic prog rock of the seventies, after all!!

I don't like the discontinuity of the composition (unlike "Book of the Dead"), but the vocalism is very good, even tough the melodic lines are quite uneven!!

Make your personal choice as usual but- in spite of being inferior than their debut work- this new album is not bad; and- even though K2 stand still in search of a precise identity, remaining "in the average" like many other prog bands from the USA, I hope to see them live on stage, before evaluating their performance definitivelyl!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#474578) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 03, 2011

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars The super group that lost its "super"

Black Garden is the second album from K2. Their first album featured none other than the great Allan Holdsworth on guitars, but he is no longer in the band on this follow up album (just as he left the super group UK after their first album). The vocals are still highly Peter Gabriel-like, but the music is somewhat darker and heavier this time around. I don't mind this, but the songs are not particularly memorable and without Holdsworth's distinctive and classic guitar sound, K2 have slipped down a whole dimension on my scale of interest. In fact, I was slightly reluctant to even give the album a chance. But since I very much enjoyed K2's first album, I though why not. It would perhaps be too much to say that it is a disappointment. Rather, it is just as expected - a decent album, but one that falls far short of the high quality of the debut.

Possibly the music can be described as a darker, heavier and less theatrical version of Peter Gabriel-era Genesis. This does not sound bad at all on paper, but if we also remove the "star quality" and originality of that classic Prog group and keep in mind also the rather unmemorable material, the situation begins to looks worse. Another downside is that the album is rather long and whatever excitement they managed to build up on the first few tracks starts to wear off towards the middle and it almost becomes a challenge to stay with them all the way trough to the end.

I can warmly recommend K2's debut Book Of The Dead, but this follow up is primarily for fans

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#610700) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012

3 stars K2 is back again with their second album. If my memories serves me right, I liked their second album. This one though is a bit of a different beast. First of all; they have got the album title spot on. The songs here are pretty blackened, but still not without organic life. The reason for mu ... (read more)

Report this review (#406605) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, February 23, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars After six years , with a new guitarist(Karl Johnson) and a new vocalist (Josh Gleason) the K2 are back with a new studio album called Black Garden. For those who are interested(I rarely listen to the lyrics these days) , apparently this is a concept album about ancient Oceania and the journey of ... (read more)

Report this review (#385435) | Posted by idlero | Sunday, January 23, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I had a promo copy i heard 4 times and then deleted. I m sure i ll get one original. Excellent return of K2. Not so good things in this album: a)The first song : I presume it will be the single they hope to become a hit,but in prog matters this is a bad pop prog metal song. b)The absenc ... (read more)

Report this review (#300781) | Posted by robbob | Tuesday, September 28, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of K2 "Black Garden"