THE ALBUM

Collectors/fans only

Buy CARAVAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1980

1. Heartbreaker (3:06)
2. Corner Of Me Eye (3:37)
3. Watcha Gonna Tell Me (4:48)
4. Piano Player (5:24)
5. Make Yourself At Home (3:26)
6. Golden Mile (3:12)
7. Bright Shiny Day (6:17)
8. Clear Blue Sky (6:25)
9. Keepin' Up The Fences (5:17)

Bonus tracks on Eclectic remaster (2004):
10. Heartbreaker (Single version, A-Side) (3:40)
11. It's Never Too Late (Single B-Side) (6:24)

Search CARAVAN The Album lyrics

Search CARAVAN The Album tabs

- Pye Hastings / guitars, vocals
- David Sinclair / keyboards (piano, electric piano, organ, synth)
- Geoff Richardson / guitar, viola, flute, vocals
- Dek Messecar / bass, backing vocals
- Richard Coughlan / drums

LP Kingdom Records - KVL 9003 (1980, UK)

CD Kingdom Records ‎- CDKVL 9003 (1991, UK)
CD Eclectic Discs ‎- ECLCD 1011 (2004, UK) Remastered by Paschal Byrne w/ 2 bonus tracks and different cover art

and to Quinino for the last updates

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN The Album Music

The AlbumThe Album
Remastered · Import
Eclectic Discs 2004
SHOW OF OUR LIVES LP (VINYL ALBUM) UK DECCA 1981SHOW OF OUR LIVES LP (VINYL ALBUM) UK DECCA 1981
Decca
Vinyl$9.99 (used)
AlbumAlbum
Kingdom 1998
Audio CD$89.95 (used)
First AlbumFirst Album
Htd

Geoffrey Richardson/Francis Kendall - Estella In Lux CD NEW Caravan/Penguin Cafe USD $5.97 Buy It Now
Vishwa Mohan Bhatt & Glen C...-Groove Caravan CD NEW USD $10.34 Buy It Now
CARAVAN The Album CANTERBURY Prog PSYCH Top RARE Southamerica LP Different COVER USD $18.18 Buy It Now
Vanaver Caravan - Pastures of Plenty-Songs of Woody Guthrie [New CD] USD $21.22 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Oscar Lima - Desert Caravan - 2006 Indie Rock CD USD $3.96 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Glen Gray CASA LOMA CARAVAN 1957 LP ALBUM ~ RARE JAZZ CAT NO: T 856 USD $12.88 [0 bids]
CARAVAN | "Waterloo Lily" CD +4 bonus songs | Remastered/Reissue USD $5.14 [0 bids]
OSCARLIMA_Desert Caravan_Promo Copy_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA USD $9.50 Buy It Now 11h 3m
CARAVAN,JIMMY-Hey Jude (digitally Remastered) CD NEW USD $15.10 Buy It Now 11h 29m
Shirley Caesar, Shirley Caesar & Caravans - Best of [New CD] USD $16.54 Buy It Now 11h 52m
Peter White - Caravan Of Dreams (NEW CD) USD $9.33 Buy It Now 12h 3m
Caravan - Place of My Own: The Collection [New CD] UK - Import USD $6.49 Buy It Now 12h 52m
Monte Montgomery-Live at the Caravan of Dreams CD NEW USD $19.24 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Caravan - Place of My Own: The Collection [New CD] UK - Import USD $6.55 Buy It Now 13h 29m
CARAVAN-FOR GIRLS WHO GROW PLUMP IN THE NIGHT-JAPAN SHM-CD BONUS TRACK D50 USD $17.50 Buy It Now 14h 32m
Caravan - Caravan : Symphony of Stars [New CD] USD $16.43 Buy It Now 15h 26m
Isley Jasper Isley Caravan of love - 1985 CBS USD $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 28m
Groove Caravan 2010 by Vishwa Mohan Bhatt & Glen Charles Halls USD $8.82 Buy It Now 17h 12m
Norwegian Caravan, New Music USD $14.14 Buy It Now 19h 22m
Isley Jasper Isley - Caravan of Love - audio cassette tape USD $10.00 Buy It Now 20h 18m
CARAVAN & THE NEW SYMPHONIA NM PROMO London PS-650 Live Symphony album vinyl USD $30.76 Buy It Now 23h 22m
CARAVAN - The Show Of Our Lives: Live At The BBC 1968-1975 - CD ** Brand New ** USD $35.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MARIO RUSCA TRIO : CARAVAN USD $18.00 [0 bids]
Al Arons & La Jazz Caravan 1996 by Arons, Al USD $8.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Caravan - Silver Lost & Found - Japan CD+DVD NEW J-POP USD $15.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Neptune Towers - Caravans to Empire Algol [New Vinyl] USD $16.09 Buy It Now 1 day
Isley Jasper Isley - Broadway's Closer to Love / Caravan of Love [New CD] UK - I USD $14.03 Buy It Now 1 day
Isley Jasper Isley - Broadway's Closer to Love / Caravan of Love [New CD] UK - I USD $12.78 Buy It Now 1 day
Daniel Kingsbury - Caravan of Time [New CD] USD $13.11 Buy It Now 1 day
CARAVANS Smashed and Stripped Bare CD - Psychobilly - Neo Rockabilly - NEW USD $11.56 Buy It Now 1 day
2 Caravan LPs The Album & Blind Dog USD $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Squirrel Nut Zippers Christmas Caravan 1998 Music CD **ShipDeals** USD $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Vanaver Caravan - Pastures of Plenty-Songs of Woody Guthrie [New CD] USD $19.75 Buy It Now 1 day
JAMES LAST cassettes tape used FANFARE happy music/always/caravan/la mer/ USD $5.14 Buy It Now 1 day
THE CARAVANS CD: "PAVED THE WAY" 2006 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
(DX439) The Painted Caravan, The Peter Ulrich Collaboration - 2013 CD USD $6.43 Buy It Now 1 day
Caravan of Faith - My Father's Love [New CD] USD $20.72 Buy It Now 1 day
Caravan Gogh CD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Thailand: Songs For Life - Caravan (CD Used Very Good) CD-R USD $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Gypsy Jazz Caravan - Pour Les Zazous [New CD] USD $18.08 Buy It Now 1 day
The Gypsy Jazz Caravan - Pour Les Zazous [New CD] USD $13.87 Buy It Now 1 day
THE VINTAGE CARAVAN - VOYAGE CD NEW+ USD $24.81 Buy It Now 2 days
Two Tragedy Poets & A Caravan Of - Elvenking (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.87 Buy It Now 2 days
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It [New CD] Rmst, Canada - Impo USD $9.05 Buy It Now 2 days
Caravan - Waterloo Lily [New CD] Bonus Tracks, Rmst USD $8.27 Buy It Now 2 days
JOE D'URSO & STONE CARAVAN-DOWN HERE BY THE RIVER. CD. ROOTS ROCK. RARE SIGNED USD $6.43 Buy It Now 2 days
Caravan - Waterloo Lily [New CD] Bonus Tracks, Rmst USD $8.93 Buy It Now 2 days
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It [New CD] Rmst, Canada - Impo USD $8.52 Buy It Now 2 days
CARAVAN OF LIGHT FIRE Incantation CD & Initiation DVD Electro Tribal Ambient USD $6.42 [0 bids]
Crystal Caravan - With Them You Walk Alone (NEW CD) USD $18.03 Buy It Now 2 days
Caravan - Access All Areas (2014) CD+DVD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST USD $9.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Caravan:For Girls Who Grow Platinum SHM CD Japan Mini-LP UICY-40051 SS (camel Q USD $49.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CARAVAN Recorded Live In Concert At Metropolis Studios London CD + DVD USD $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
One More Song Live - Joe & Stone Caravan D'Urso (CD Used Very Good) USD $20.45 Buy It Now 2 days
MIKE BATT Caravans SOUNDTRACK SCORE EUROPEAN CD album USD $12.35 Buy It Now 2 days
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers Caravan CD Keepnews Collection Riverside 2007 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Best of Barbara Dickson inc Answer Me / Caravan Song + Cassette Tape TESTED USD $6.44 Buy It Now 2 days
BIG JOE TURNER- Turner's Memphis Blues Caravan w/ Eugene Hideaway Bridges CD USD $8.29 Buy It Now 2 days
Les Kerr - Crawfish Caravan [New CD] USD $14.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Cunning Stunts Caravan vinyl LP album record UK SKL-R5210 DECCA 1975 USD $37.31 Buy It Now 2 days
Waterloo Lily - 2nd Caravan UK vinyl LP album record SDL-R8 DERAM USD $133.97 Buy It Now 2 days
VINTAGE CARAVAN Voyage CD 2014 Bluesy Retro Classic Hard Riff / Stoner Rock USD $4.23 Buy It Now 2 days
Earl's Backroom And Cozy's Caravan Earl Hines UK vinyl LP album record AFF167 USD $17.98 Buy It Now 2 days
The Best of the Caravans on SAVOY Records Double Album Set DBL 7012 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Caravan/Songs & Signs (UK) USD $25.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Caravan/The Best Of Caravan (France) USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CARAVAN "CUNNING STUNTS" CD NEW+ USD $17.96 Buy It Now 2 days
National Health "Dreams Wide Awake" 1978 (2CD) NEW (Caravan) USD $9.50 [0 bids]
USD $14.25 Buy It Now
Caravan - Live At Metropolis Studios London [CD New] USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Harry Horlick And His Orchestra - Gypsy Caravan Vinyl LP Record Album L70129 USD $11.39 Buy It Now 2 days
Caravan - Live in Concert at Metropolis Studios London [New CD] Bonus DVD, PAL R USD $10.34 Buy It Now 2 days
Wataru Hatano Caravan wa Philia wo Kanaderu Limited Edition CD Photobook Japan USD $65.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CARAVAN-IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK-JAPAN SHM-SACD G88 USD $29.50 Buy It Now 3 days
CARAVAN "LIVE AT METROPOLIS STUDIOS 2010" CD+DVD NEW+ USD $21.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink (2001), remastered CD USD $5.14 Buy It Now 3 days
Caravan and The New Symphonia Caravan vinyl LP album record Japanese K16P-9062 USD $55.35 Buy It Now 3 days
Robin Trower Caravan To Midnight vinyl LP album record UK CHR1189 CHRYSALIS USD $24.42 Buy It Now 3 days
Caravan vinyl LP album record For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night Japanese USD $61.80 Buy It Now 3 days
Split LP Relief German vinyl LP album record NUMBER003 HOMTOWN CARAVAN USD $17.32 Buy It Now 3 days
Caravan Caravan & The New Symphonia UK vinyl LP album record SML-R1110 DERAM USD $37.31 Buy It Now 3 days
Caravan & The New Symphonia Caravan Japanese vinyl LP album record SLC815 USD $69.53 Buy It Now 3 days
Wataru Hatano Caravan plays Philia Limited Edition CD USD $64.00 Buy It Now 3 days
COLLISION Rare OOP CD CHAOS / COLUMBIA OK 48818 Chains Things Creepin' Caravan USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Heart - Ann & Nancy Solo - Caravan of Dreams USD $17.85 [0 bids]
Slip Treble: Caravan : The European Tour Live 2011 London England USD $28.84 Buy It Now 3 days
Barbara Dickson Now & Then inc Caravans & If You Go Away + Cassette Tape TESTED USD $7.73 Buy It Now 3 days
STILL CARAVAN-DEPARTURES-JAPAN CD E25 USD $20.50 Buy It Now 3 days
CARAVAN- IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK ALBUM ART PRINT T SHIRT- GREY - LARGE USD $15.45 [0 bids]
(EK191) The Peter Ulrich Collaboration, The Painted Caravan - 2013 CD USD $6.43 Buy It Now 3 days
Joe d'Urso & Stone Caravan - Both Sides of Life [New CD] USD $17.20 Buy It Now 3 days
Joe DUrso and Stone Caravan : Mirrors, Shoestrings, and Credit Cards CD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Caravans, The - Born Again (CD ONLY, in slim case, no booklet) USD $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
THE VINTAGE CARAVAN - Arrival - CD +2bonus tracks USD $8.09 Buy It Now 3 days
Beggars Caravan : Take Me With You CD USD $6.96 Buy It Now 3 days
Caravan - Canterbury Tales The Best Of - Vinyl LP Double Album - VG/G+ USD $18.03 Buy It Now 4 days
OSCARLIMA Desert Caravan CD Aussie Power Pop 2000 USD $4.71 Buy It Now 4 days
2016 JEWEL CASE CARAVAN In The Land Of Grey And Pink JAPAN SHM SACD USD $31.80 Buy It Now 4 days
D'Urso Joe & Stone Caravan - One More Song Live [New CD] USD $22.45 Buy It Now 4 days
INA FORSMAN. LAYLA ZOE. TASHA TAYLOR-BLUES CARAVAN 2016...-JAPAN CD+DVD G09 USD $26.99 Buy It Now 4 days
THE GOSPEL SINGING CARAVAN VARIOUS ARTIST LP RECORDS ALBUMS USD $4.59 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

CARAVAN The Album ratings distribution

CARAVAN The Album reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars I think that the title says it all. No inspiration. Only Clear Blue Sky - a reggae - manages some interest from my ears , the rest being really a lacklustre collection of uninspired songs . I am so sorry one of my favorite band ever got so low . This one did come out on Cd but look elsewhere as there are tons of Caravan records to investigate before delving for this one.

While rewriting my Blind Dog review, I had a chance to add this and tell you that this got a second release (remastered ) with a few Bonus Tracks - not that it would make it less un-essential - on the Eclectic label.

Review by Prog-jester
2 stars Even in their worst times CARAVAN are intelligent enough. Solid and even record, “The Album” is somewhere in between “Blind Dog…” and DONOVAN or THE MAMAS AND THE PAPAS. Not recommended in any way, but it’s interesting journey for early CARAVAN fans. Unfortunately, they didn’t get better after it, and their later studio albums fall into the same line. Nice and inescapable addition for die-hard CARAVAN fan collection, but don’t bother if you still haven’t made your mind towards their best efforts.
Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars SHOULD I COME BACK OR SHOULD I STAY AWAY (PART X)

This is frankly the question. Dave is back again in the band. But what for? This is a major flop IMO. One out of many of course in the early eighties from a prog point of view. At the end of the day, where were the great bands of the seventies (even if "Caravan" has never belonged to my fave ones)?

Gone are the days of their exquisite and so personal music that could be found on "For Girls". This one is just a poor I don't know what album. No genre can be associated with this album. Only that it is poor from start to finish.

Attempts to rock like "Make Yourself At Home" completely fails. And the awful disco "Golden Mile" just show you the quick way to the toilets. Run fast if you want to avoid the vomiting thing to happen onto your pants.This is the absolute nadir of this band (so far).

There are not a single track that stands out on this album. A shame of course for Caravan. But they won't be the only ones to produce a crappy album I these eighties, right? There is even one ridiculous attempt to a reggae song in here. This genre was rather commercially successful at the time, and I liked quite a lot bands as Culture and Steel Pulse during those days to know what great reggae was all about. This one is just boring and useless. Does anyone need "Caravan" to turn into poor reggae? Definitely not!

One star and this is way too much for this extremely poor album.

Review by UMUR
2 stars The Album is the ninth full-length studio album by UK progressive rock act Caravan. Itīs been three years since their last album Better By Far (1977) was released and one could expect that those three years had been used wisely. Better By Far (1977) was a below standard album from the band though and I had my worries before listening to The Album.

The music is soft rock with only a few of the progressive elements left that made earlier albums by Caravan so great. The only song that gives small hints to their past greatness is Watcha Gonna Tell Me. Itīs be far the best song on the album with flute and those quirky fast vocal lines that I love from the old albums. Opener Heartbreaker and the song Piano Player are also respectable ( remember I didnīt say good), but the rest is rather bland and forgettable. Thereīs even a poor attempt to play white man reggae in the song Clear Blue Sky ( and no it doesnīt sound like UB40). Thatīs a disaster to my ears.

The musicianship is as good as usual and itīs rather interesting that David Sinclair has returned on the keyboards once again.

The production is good. Warm and pleasant and it suits the music perfectly.

The Album is unfortunately another below average album by Caravan and itīs hard not to get the thought that they really didnīt have much more to offer to the world of music at this point in their career. A 2 star rating is warranted. I must say that I had expected much more from the band after a three year recording break.

Review by Gooner
3 stars "The Album" is quite good. In fact, I like it a lot. It's very much like a pick & mix bowl of candies. It's a contribution of individual songs "played' by members of Caravan. I don't really consider it a Caravan album per se. "Heartbreaker" is a great pop rock song that would sound great on Waterloo Lily. "Corner Of Me Eye" is a track by Geoffrey Richardson that sounds like it may be a Caravan tune until it turns into progressive bluegrass during the instrumental part of the track. A great twist(Dixie Dregs/Little Feat anyone?). "Watcha Gonna Tell Me" has some nice electric piano and beautiful flute colourings and a flute solo from Geoffrey Richardson...and a great guitar/keyboard/guitar/keyboard exchange between Pye Hastings and Dave Sinclair. This is the best track on the album. Another track that would not sound out of place on Waterloo Lily. "Piano Player" has lyrics about drinking and smoking that only Caravan sing about with expertise. It's a very flighty piece with Geoffrey Richardson delivering an inspired solo on the viola. A track to listen to after a warm rain. "Make Yourself At Home" starts out like a Doobie Brothers track, then the unmistakable english vocals are present with a relaxed/loose/slacker sound in the playing by the band. There's a weird vocoder effect on the vocal. Very cool! Uh oh, in comes the disco with the track "Golden Mile". No worse than "Summer Lightning" from Camel's Breathless, really. "Golden Mile" reminds me of something one might here on the Cafe Jacques album "Round The Back"(which also features Geoffrey Richardson). "Bright Shiny Day" is just that. A happy track. Off to Jamaica with the reggae of "Clear Blue Sky"(Police meets Dire Straits?). Nice guitar work from Pye Hastings. "Keepin' Up De Fences" is another great track and it concludes the album. Caravan with timbales? Yes, indeed. This one reminds me of something off Gentle Giant's "Civilian", yet I can't put my finger on it. A lively track this one - the boys sounding like "Caravan" with a nice keyboard/guitar/keyboard exchange. I have to say that I love albums like this on progarchives.com. The low ratings are unwarranted. it all depends on your taste. If you enjoy the Camel albums "Breathless" and "I Can See Your House From Here", then you'll certainly find something to enjoy with "The Album". An initial listen may not impress, but try it over several listens and you will be rewarded. A great rock & roll album for fans of Steely Dan and Dire Straits. Not very "progressive" but very competent. A great addition to anyone's collection, regardless.
Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Neo Teams
2 stars First of all let me say that my vinyl copy of the album doesn't have that anonymous cover sheet that's on PA. It has a sort of aztec pyramid with "The Album" written in the stones.....

Unfortunately it's the only "epic" thing that I can find in it.

The return of David Sinclair didn't bring all the good that one could have expected and what they were perhaps intending as a sort of reunion resulted in a big disappointment.

The opener is enough to understand what this album is made for. "Heartbreaker" is a mixture of Supertramp and Climax Blues Band. Nothing to do with the band of Winter Wine. The finger picking of "Corner Of My Eye" is not bad if you like country music. I personally like this song, but it's absolutely non-essential.

"What'cha Gonna Tell Me" is a partially successful attempt to sound as in the past, but it's clear that it's not Jimmy Hastings to play the flute. The piano riff is good and the song sounds "Caravan enough".

I'm relistening to this album after years and it's not so awful as I was remembering. "Piano Player" is not a masterpiece but I don't dislike it.

Going to the B side we find a piece of trivial brit-pop like "Make Yourself At Home" followed by the disco-funky of "Golden Mile". Two tracks to skip, but after them the brit chill-out of "Bright Shiny Day" is not that bad. A kind of newage....

What do Caravan have to do with Reggae? It's not their pot. This song makes me thing to Wishbone Ash. They have a little piece of reggae in Pilgrimage, but their one is good. At least this should have been "reggae" also in the chorus.

"Keeping Up The Fences" just doesn't do anything for me. I had totally forgotten this song, probably because I've rarely been able to run the whole album in a shot. This song is not bad if you like things like Wishbone Ash "Front Page News", but this is not what one can expect from Caravan.

I'm undecided between one and two stars. Looking at my other one-star ratings on PA I think I can be generous and go for two, but if you are not fans there's no reason to invest money in this stuff.

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars The Disco Album

Caravan entered the 80's with this Disco-infected Pop Rock album, simply titled The Album. The first two tracks are upbeat, simple Pop-Disco tunes that feel void of inspiration, but with Watcha Gonna Tell Me there is at least some first indication that they still had at least some progressive aspirations. Some nice flute and keyboard sounds there. Piano Player is a pleasant enough piano-driven semi-ballad not far away from the style of Supertramp. Electric Light Orchestra (of the late 70's) is another reference point for this album. It only occasionally sounds like a Caravan album.

Several more dull and uninspired tracks follow, and it is not until the Reggae of Clear Blue Sky that there is again anything even slightly interesting. But interesting does not equal good. The Album is another one of a long string of rather uninspired albums from Caravan.

Like the previous two albums, this one is recommended for fans and collectors

3 stars Caravan's ninth record which opened up the eighties was a step down for the band. Just look at the cover. It's black and has a minimalistic design and I don't like to look at it. "Better by far" hadn't a very nice cover either but it was better. This album is the lowest rated Caravan album of ... (read more)

Report this review (#1088556) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Wednesday, December 11, 2013 | Review Permanlink

1 stars It's really hard for a Caravan-fan to say this, but listening to this album is just torture. The only decent song is Keeping Up The Fences and by that I mean listenable for a minute. I know this is harsh but where is the energy? Maybe I understand now why Dave Sinclair needed a breeze of fresh ... (read more)

Report this review (#344550) | Posted by BrainStillLife | Monday, December 6, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Not a masterpiece, but not a disaster. Dave Sinclair is back, and, needless to say, his stuff is the best: "Watcha gonna tell me" and "Piano Player" * are good indeed. "Make yourself at home" ** and Pye's "Keeping up De Fences" are nice songs, too. There are also some strange episodes such as disc ... (read more)

Report this review (#282816) | Posted by pied piper | Thursday, May 20, 2010 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Oh dear - such a great band - such a poor album (for their high standards). I disagree with other reviewers who pick out the reggae track "clear blue sky" as this track apitomises the root of the problem with this album - which is this viola and guitar player Geoff Richardson was given too mu ... (read more)

Report this review (#93058) | Posted by Mark Roberts | Monday, October 2, 2006 | Review Permanlink

1 stars If after "better by far" you thought, that it can't get worse, you were wrong. Most of the songs here are depressingly soapy, boring and uninspired "ballads" sung by Pye Hastings. If "clear blue sky"(with a touch of reagge) or "golden mile" seem a little bit better than the rest of the album, ... (read more)

Report this review (#44112) | Posted by kajetan | Wednesday, August 24, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CARAVAN "The Album"