CANTERBURY TALES: THE BEST OF CARAVAN 1968-1975

3. Hello Hello
4. If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You
5. And I Wish I Were Stoned / Don't Worry
6. Can't Be Long Now / Francoise / For Richard / Warlock
7. Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly)
8. Golf Girl

1. Memory Lain, Hugh
2. Headloss
3. Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again, The
4. Be All Right / Chance Of A Lifetime
5. L'Auberge Du Sanglier / Hunting We Shall Go, A / Pengola / Backwards / Hunting We Shall Go (Reprise), A
6. Love In Your Eye, The - (live)
7. For Richard - (live)
8. Stuck In A Hole
9. Lover / No Backstage Pass
10. Show Of Our Lives, The

Search CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 lyrics

Search CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 tabs

Deram

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 Music

In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Polygram UK 2005
Waterloo LilyWaterloo Lily
Polygram UK 2001
Paul Chain Unreleased Vol. 2 guest Wino(St.Vitus-Obsessed-Spirit Caravan)CD US $12.90 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Art Blakey - And Jazz Messengers - Caravan + Buhaina´s Delight Cd New US $15.95 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Coleman/Kane/Wilde - Blues Caravan-Guitars & Feathers [CD New] US $12.93 Buy It Now 3h 14m
David Arkenstone - Caravan Of Light (2000) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 3h 27m
American Caravan Volume 2 7" Reel to Reel 4 Track US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Robin Trower - Caravan To Midnight/Victims Of (2001) - New - Compact Disc US $13.96 Buy It Now 3h 28m
CARAVAN and the new symphonia LP 4 track red/white label design (smlr1110) uk de US $28.97 Buy It Now 4h 27m
WARD ?- Sesquipedalian Origins / Calcium Taut Verdun : Static Caravan 7" US $6.74 Buy It Now 5h 21m
GG Caravan s/t 2012 CD MINT US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 53m
EDDIE THE SHEIK KOCHAK MIDDLE EASTERN CARAVAN 1000 YEARS AGO BELLY DANCE LP US $23.99 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Caravan by Art Blakey Original JazzClassics(CD, Jun-2007, Concord) US $6.75 Buy It Now 6h 20m
SANTO & JOHNNY - CARAVAN / SUMMERTIME - EX ORIGINAL US $3.95 Buy It Now 6h 45m
American Caravan Record Album pop box set of 10 - Remember, LoveIs Blue 33 LP US $19.00 Buy It Now 6h 46m
INSPIRAL CARPETS Caravan Ex+ Mute UK Alternative P/S 12" US $6.74 Buy It Now 6h 51m
Both Sides of Life by Joe d'Urso, Stone Caravan (CD, Mar-2003, 2 Discs,... US $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 20m
Anthony Phillips:Data File Promo Booklet [Japan Mini-LP no cd genesis caravan Q US $42.75 Buy It Now 7h 21m
CARAVAN For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night CD 7 tracks Deram 820 971-2 US $7.99 [0 bids]
CASINO ORCHESTRA Where My Caravan Has Rested - Waltz 78 COLUMBIA 2447 US $21.96 Buy It Now 7h 59m
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All ... japan mini LP SHM CD US $26.99 [0 bids]
8h
MEDICINE BALL CARAVAN 1971 Psych Hard Rock Blues Folk ALICE COOPER STONEGROUND US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 2m
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All ... japan mini LP SHM CD US $26.99 Buy It Now 8h 3m
CARAVAN GREY & PINK Sealed Rare OBI Replica LP JAPAN CD US $149.99 Buy It Now 8h 18m
The LAFAYETTES vocal group 45 CARAVAN OF LONELY MEN / I STILL DO ~ VG++ US $11.88 Buy It Now 8h 19m
CARAVAN WATERLOO Sealed Rare OBI Replica LP JAPAN CD US $110.49 Buy It Now 8h 30m
CARAVAN FOR GIRLS Sealed Rare OBI Replica LP JAPAN CD US $152.99 Buy It Now 8h 41m
CARAVAN CUNNING Sealed Rare OBI Replica LP JAPAN CD US $110.49 Buy It Now 8h 46m
R&B 78 Joe LIggins Exclusive 216 Caravan + Going to Heaven E+ w/edgebite NAP US $8.49 Buy It Now 8h 47m
Joe D'Urso & Stone Caravan - Sway (NEW CD) (Bruce Springsteen) US $20.27 Buy It Now 8h 48m
Caravan - Better By Far (NEW CD) US $19.84 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Caravan - The Unauthorised Breakfast (NEW CD) US $19.84 Buy It Now 9h 2m
CARAVAN SYMPHONIA Sealed Rare OBI Replica LP JAPAN CD US $129.99 Buy It Now 9h 5m
Vaugh Montow Caravan "45" US $9.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN - Recorded Live In Concert At Metropolis Studios London - 2xLP US $42.68 Buy It Now 9h 35m
RONALD SHANNON JACKSON Texas LP Caravan of Dreams US $11.95 Buy It Now 10h 20m
CARAVAN Songs and Signs DECCA German import NEAR MINT R*A*R*E* US $69.95 Buy It Now 10h 36m
JIMMY CARAVAN-LOOK INTO THE FLOWER 1968 TOWER RECORDS T 5103 PROMO MONO VG++ US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 50m
STEVEN GROSSMAN CARAVAN TONIGHT LP SRM-1-702 US $18.73 Buy It Now 11h 20m
CAMEL I CAN SEE YOUR HOUSE FROM HERE DECCA TXS-R 137 INNER GONG CARAVAN VINYL LP US $11.82 [0 bids]
LEW LEWIS AND HIS BAND BOOGIE ON THE STREET CARAVAN MAN STIFF BUT 5 DR FEELGOOD US $6.74 [1 bids]
ISLEY JASPER ISLEY: Caravan Of Love (soul vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Caravan/Gordon Giltrap/Sundance 1973 Concert Poster US $30.43 Buy It Now 11h 32m
GOSPEL SINGING CARAVAN.."CHRISTMAS CARD"..LEFEVRES, BLUE RIDGE, PROPHETS.....NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 35m
COMEDY CARAVAN GRIFFITH YORGESSON KARI FREBERT LP T732 US $5.00 Buy It Now 11h 41m
CARAVAN the new symphonia JAPAN mini lp SHM CD SEALED US $24.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN in the land of grey and pink JAPAN mini lp SHM CD SACD SEALED US $42.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN - IN THE LAND OF GREY & PINK - IN THE LAND OF GREY & PINK - NEW CD US $18.48 Buy It Now 12h 3m
CARAVAN - LIVE IN CONCERT AT METROPOLIS STUDIOS (+DVD) NEW CD US $24.23 Buy It Now 12h 3m
TEX WILLIAMS: And His Western Caravan (country vinyl LP) US $18.00 Buy It Now 12h 58m
CARAVAN HEADLOSS LONDON PROMO RARE 20080 DJ STEREO 1973 VG US $1.99 [0 bids]
Robin Trower "Caravan At Midnight" US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h
Isley Jasper Isley, Caravan of Love: Best of Audio CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 13h 3m
LATIN JAZZ POPCORN 45 - PLAS JOHNSON - CARAVAN / LAST CALL - BEDFORD RECORDS US $14.99 [0 bids]
BLOOD UNCLES Crash 7" Ps, B/W Caravan, Vs 964 US $8.43 Buy It Now 13h 45m
Leroy Holmes, Three On A Match/Caravan, MGM 11474 US $4.00 [0 bids]
Johnny Dupont 7" 45 HEAR MOD JAZZ SOUL FUNK Caravan COLUMBIA Spectrum US $15.00 Buy It Now 14h 27m
THE VENTURES CARAVAN RARE JAPAN OBI REPLICA SEALED CD SELLS FOR AS MUCH AS $2100 US $212.49 Buy It Now 14h 29m
Robin Trower - Caravan to Midnight - LP US $7.99 Buy It Now 14h 32m
Caravan - Cool Water CD US $6.00 Buy It Now 14h 40m
INSPIRAL CARPETS Caravan 7" Ps US $8.43 Buy It Now 14h 44m
The Housemartins: Caravan Of Love 12" VG+/VG++ Canada US $2.99 Buy It Now 15h 7m
MEDICINE BALL CARAVAN 1971 psych WB LP w/ ALICE COOPER Delaney & Bonnie BB KING US $9.95 Buy It Now 15h 14m
Art Blakey and The JAzz Messengers caravan CD jazz US $11.99 Buy It Now 15h 20m
GOMEZ "How We Operate" BLUE vinyl promo only 7" single b/w "Caravan" 45 rpm US $3.00 [0 bids]
Housemartins, The- Caravan Of Love 12" US $10.56 Buy It Now 15h 49m
GOSPEL SINGING CARAVAN Blue Ridge Quartet w/ George Younce Prophets Qt. vinyl LP US $18.88 Buy It Now 16h 11m
Swing Caravan Get It Fresh CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 16h 18m
The Housemartins 45 Caravan Of love Elektra Records 1987 PROMO COPY US $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 25m
Duke Ellington, Azure/Caravan, Master 131 US $15.00 [0 bids]
Rock Sealed! MEDICINE BALL CARAVAN Alice Cooper et ORIG EB373 US $21.99 Buy It Now 16h 57m
Isley, Jasper & Isley Caravan Of Love & Different Drummer 2-LP's great condition US $22.99 [0 bids]
17h
In the Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan (CD 2001)RARE Canterbury Prog Genesis US $2.24 [2 bids]
If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over You by Caravan (CD) UK Prog US $0.99 [1 bids]
DUKE ELLINGTON CD THE GREAT LONDON CONCERTS Take the "A" Train, Caravan, Perdido US $0.01 [0 bids]
Tactile (2)- Aldabra / Caravan 12" US $10.56 Buy It Now 17h 22m
MACHITO PUENTE LOCO Mambo Caravan black label TICO afro Cuban Latin LP 1007 T US $20.00 [0 bids]
The Vintage Caravan: Voyage (2014) CD OBI TAIWAN US $21.99 Buy It Now 18h 9m
Rare Stereo LP : Hot Rod Caravan ~ Great cars from coast to coast ~ Battle 96130 US $30.00 [0 bids]
Oscarlima : Desert Caravan CD US $4.67 Buy It Now 20h 12m
Danny Hoctor's Dance Caravan Show Tunes US $4.49 Buy It Now 20h 19m
Paris Washboard Caravan CD US $5.74 Buy It Now 21h 4m
Canterbury Tales The Best Of Caravan Caravan Japanese vinyl LP album record US $99.64 Buy It Now 21h 14m
VENEZUELAN TOURING CARAVAN: Inter-american Travel Seminar (latin vinyl LP) US $20.00 Buy It Now 22h 13m
CARAVAN & THE NEW SYMPHONIA JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 22h 16m
CARAVAN S/T (1969) JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +9 US $19.99 Buy It Now 22h 16m
Dick Clark Caravan Of Stars US 1964 Programme (Autographed) US $202.84 Buy It Now 22h 29m
Kronos Quartet Caravan Troilo Halhor FLAWLESS CD 3DayShip-AddlCDsShipFree US $18.99 Buy It Now 23h 55m
Caravan Here Am I CD NEW SEALED 2005 Prog Rock US $8.43 Buy It Now 1 day
MEDICINE BALL CARAVAN SOUNDTRACK LP 722 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Barbara Dickson - Caravan Song - 7" PS 1979 - Ex - Italian Issue US $0.02 [0 bids]
Kronos Quartet - Caravan [CD New] US $13.09 Buy It Now 1 day
SUNNY TAN CARAVAN 7 Inch Record US $9.15 Buy It Now 1 day
LENNY DEE AVALON & CARAVAN 45 ORGAN SOLO DECCA RECORDS 29851 US $6.29 Buy It Now 1 day
VVAA - EARL'S BACKROOM AND COZY'S CARAVAN UK reissue EX NM (AFFINITY) LP US $25.50 Buy It Now 1 day
The Housemartins - Caravan Of Love - GOD 16 - 7-inch Record US $10.12 Buy It Now 1 day
INSPIRAL CARPETS 'CARAVAN REMIX' LIMITED UK 12" SINGLE US $11.82 Buy It Now 1 day
Quincy Jones- Caravan Rare 33 RPM 7" Jazz Vinyl Record MERCURY 45 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Galactic Caravan - Bellydance Odyssey [CD New] US $12.87 Buy It Now 1 day
ISLEY JASPER ISLEY 'CARAVAN OF LOVE' US IMPORT LP NEW US $16.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Ulrich,Peter Collaboration - Painted Caravan [CD New] US $9.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Ultra Rare George Jenkins Last Call on Tampa TP112 45 rpm Caravan RS11 NR NM US $9.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 ratings distribution

CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Unlike the previous compilation this a good start if one wants an overview of the band's best albums but I like better the first Canter Tales. Or better yet start with the original albums from that era as some choices here are disputable.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#21463) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Review by Trotsky
4 stars I know this may sound heretical, but in some ways I don't really think of Caravan as a typical prog rock band. Yes, I know Caravan cut some definitive epics like Where But For Caravan Would I Be?, the whole Can't Be Long Now/Francoise/For Richard/Warlock suite and most particularly Nine Feet Underground, but I'll be damned if I don't love their shorter, whimsical folk/pop stuff every bit as much. Certainly Caravan's gift for melody and lyrics (in other words, these guys really knew how to write a "song") meant that their strengths differed from the other Canterbury groups with whom they are often lumped.

Take Place Of My Own, off the first album Caravan. What a wonderful haunting song, but it's four minutes long, generally adheres to the verse, chorus, verse format and while it does have a memorable Dave Sinclair keyboard solo, there are no complex chord patterns, radical arrangements or time signature/key changes to speak of. And it may just be my favourite Caravan song. And there's the jolly little ditty Hello Hello (off If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You), the ethereal, joyous The World Is Yours and most glaringly Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly) which could have been cut quite convincingly by the glam bands of the time. When I listen to these classic songs I'm amazed that Caravan didn't break into the pop charts in the late 60s/early 70s.

Now getting back to this double CD collection ... its material is culled from Caravan's first six studio albums (1968's Caravan through to 1975' Cunning Stunts) as well as the 1974 live album Caravan & The New Symphonia. It contains most of Caravan's best music during this era, although because there is an effort to give equal representation to most of the albums, some great songs have been left off in place of some weaker ones (I think I'd rate every song on the third album In The Land Of Grey And Pink above the best moments of Cunning Stunts). While the omission of Love Song With A Flute, Where But For Caravan Would I Be?, Winter Wine and Surprise, Surprise is probably just a little too much to take, most of the music here is top notch.

For me, the stars of Caravan were always the bustling underrated organist Dave Sinclair and the even less acknowledged frontman Pye Hastings (I don't mean to disrespect the fine work of bassist Richard Sinclair and stalwart drummer Richard Coughlan by the way). Hastings' withwrawn wisftul personality comes through the music as strongly as Dave Sinclair's strong keyboard work colours it. The dreaminess of pieces like the aching Place Of My Own and And I Wish I were Stoned/Don't Worry seem like an extension of Pye's introverted character, yet there's a fair amount of exuberant playfulness on Love To Love You, Hello Hello, Golf Girl (a Richard Sinclair tune that foreshadows Down On The Farm, the tune he cut on Camel's Breathless album) and The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again. As the only real soloist in the band for its first three albums, Sinclair's chops come to the fore at various moments during And I Wish I Were Stoned, For Richard (which also had some great flute and sax work by Pye's brother Jimmy) and the pulsating 22 minute jazz-rock epic Nine Feet Underground, which is undoubtedly Caravan's deepest stab at prog greatness.

Unfortunately for Caravan, its classic line-up split up after the first three (virtually flawless) albums when Dave Sinclair left to join Robert Wyatt's Matching Mole and was replaced by Delivery's Steve Miller. Even though Dave would return after just one album, he had sparked off a game of musical chairs that saw Richard Sinclair depart for Hatfield And The North, with first John Perry, then (former Curved Air bassist) Mike Wedgwood while multi-instrumentalist Geoffrey Richardson also hopped on board.

Despite the changes the albums that followed Dave Sinclair's departure housed quite a few gems. These include The World Is Yours, which is yet another Caravan song that makes you wanna run in the street pretending its one of those three days a year in England when the sun actually shines, Memory Lain Hugh which sees Caravan actually try some guitar-dominated commercial rock (a la Bad Company and Steve Miller Band) for a while although the group's instincts eventually take over and the song ends in a dreamy flute solo and The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again, which despite featuring Dave on synth for the first time, feels like a return to the earliest days of classic Caravan. Other notable moments are Be All Right/Chance Of A Lifetime and the A Hunting We Will Go suite.

The tracks from the live album also see Caravan in outstanding form although I'm not too sure about some of the arrangements on the earlier part of The Love In Your Eye and including a live version of For Richard (as brilliant as it is) is perhaps questionable when so many other great tracks have been left off. Still there's scarcely a weak moment on this collection although I'm not overly fond of the later rockier material like Headloss and Stuck In A Hole which were indicators that Caravan was headed for less exciting territory after the disappointing Cunning Stunts album (by the time of this release the band sounds like Wings!).

The frustrating thing about this compilation is that it probably had enough room to be an "all you'll ever need from Caravan" kind of release, but despite the numerous brilliant tracks, it still has its flaws. It will leave you wanting more, and any Caravan fan can truthfully vouch for the fact that the band has more to offer. You're better off checking out the full albums, but if you want convincing of Caravan's greatness, this collection will certainly do the trick. (Incidentally one of Asia's most fascinating groups - the 70s political psych/folk outfit from Thailand was also called Caravan). ... 75% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#21464) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 09, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Visitors to Canterbury, start here

An excellent introduction to the music of Caravan from the time of their creative peak (the Deram years, up to and including "Cunning stunts"). All the greats are here, including "For Richard", "Nine feet underground", "If I could do it all over again, I'd do it all over you" and too many others to mention.

There appear to be slightly differing versions of the collection. The cassette version I have includes "Virgin on the ridiculous" from the New Symphonia album, which is replaced on the CD version by "The love in your eye" from the same album.

An essential introduction to the band.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#74694) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Review by fuxi
3 stars This 2-CD set expands the 1976 double LP also entitled CANTERBURY TALES, which used to provide an excellent introduction to Caravan's best material. All the tunes from the original double LP are here, and in addition there's quite a bit of material from the somewhat disappointing CUNNING STUNTS (1974) and from the band's legendary debut album (CARAVAN, 1968). Surprisingly, this double CD offers two different versions of Caravan's beloved mini-epic 'For Richard': the original studio version (featuring some gorgeous playing by Jimmy Hastings) and the live performance from CARAVAN AND THE NEW SYMPHONIA, which isn't half as good as the version from LIVE AT FAIRFIELD HALLS that used to be on the CANTERBURY TALES LP.

I would recommend this collection almost without reservations, were it not for the fact that none of the music has been digitally remastered. If you want a proper introduction to Caravan, it seems a much better idea to listen to their music on Prog Archives, and if you like their style, you can then buy the remasters of their most popular albums, all of which come with highly enjoyable bonus tracks.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#157005) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 29, 2007

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Let me start by saying that while I was an avid prog collector for most of the seventies, I somehow missed this band back then, and this is still the only recording of this band that I own. And secondly, Canterbury has never been a favorite of mine when choosing progressive music.

But here goes:

This collection covers the first six of Caravan's studio albums, released between 1968 and 1975, plus their first live album. The early recordings sound like sixties proto-prog, and are all somewhat light and airy. You can actually hear the band's sound mature through the albums to a more polished style. There are some nice songs here, but to me, the whole affair is just a bit too laid back for my tastes.

The thing I appreciate most about this band is their sense of humor (or is it humour for Brits?) when coming up with song and album titles. I especially like "The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again".

3 stars for me, probably more for true Canterbury fans.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#223243) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 26, 2009

Review by snobb
4 stars Perfect big collection from best period of Caravan activity. Represents almost everything from 1968 to 1975, so you don't need from the band nothing else unless you're heavy Caravan collector.

The band itself if interesting and have many very melodic, pleasant and perfectly played songs. For me, Caravan always was a bit different from real Canterbury sound. I like Khan,Gong and ofter are waiting for almost jazz fusion sound. Caravan is different and in some moments are very folky. Even in long compositions, where jazz influence is more feelable, all sound is not jazzy relaxed, but more folky organised. It doesn't mean that the music is not good enough, just Caravan's sound is always a bit different from usual Canterbury sound.

Any way, this double album represents quite different trends in band's different albums,so you can choose, what you like more. For me in some moments songs sound as pure folk prog, in other there are a bit more improvisational freedom. But because of perfect melodies and strong musicianship, all the album is attractive for listening.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#252331) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 23, 2009

5 stars Excellent for beginners! This compilation contains the best tracks from the first seven albums of the best band's period. Next to the sweet, melody pop songs (but fascinatingly arranged), you'll find long, complicated tracks including enlarged instrumental sections and beautiful, jazzy solos. ... (read more)

Report this review (#21462) | Posted by | Sunday, November 23, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CARAVAN "Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975"