CANTERBURY TALES: THE BEST OF CARAVAN 1968-1975

3. Hello Hello
4. If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You
5. And I Wish I Were Stoned / Don't Worry
6. Can't Be Long Now / Francoise / For Richard / Warlock
7. Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly)
8. Golf Girl

1. Memory Lain, Hugh
2. Headloss
3. Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again, The
4. Be All Right / Chance Of A Lifetime
5. L'Auberge Du Sanglier / Hunting We Shall Go, A / Pengola / Backwards / Hunting We Shall Go (Reprise), A
6. Love In Your Eye, The - (live)
7. For Richard - (live)
8. Stuck In A Hole
9. Lover / No Backstage Pass
10. Show Of Our Lives, The

Search CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 lyrics

Search CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 tabs

Deram

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 Music

If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do ItIf I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It
Waterloo LilyWaterloo Lily
Universal UK 2011
Live at the Fairfield HallsLive at the Fairfield Halls
Polygram UK 2002
THE QUILL - VOODOO CARAVAN - NEW CD US $9.81 Buy It Now 1h 6m
CARAVAN ~ 'SINGS VAN MORRISON' ~RARE GERMAN CD 1992~GLR9242~NEW US $40.49 Buy It Now 2h
Art Blakey and The JAzz Messengers caravan CD jazz US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
YELLOW MOON BAND,POLARIS,STATIC CARAVAN 12'' NEW US $9.70 Buy It Now 2h 21m
CARAVAN-HUNTING WE SHALL GO 180grVINYL LP NEW SEALED US $32.39 Buy It Now 3h 7m
CARAVAN In The Land Of Grey And Pink French 150g grey/pink vinyl 2LP SEALED/NEW US $37.25 Buy It Now 3h 13m
CARAVAN Cunning Stunts CD Japan 7 tracks Deram POCD-1838 obi US $9.99 [0 bids]
CLIFFORD BROWN ALL STARS-CARAVAN-JAPAN CD B75 US $14.50 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Mannhai - Hellroad Caravan Promo Album (CD) (Metal/ Punk) Collectable CD US $8.08 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Wayne King Orchestra Gypsy Caravan 1961Cheesecake US $12.00 [0 bids]
4h
Embryo- Bremen 1971 (Guru Guru, Xhol, Xhol Caravan) US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Embryo- Wiesbaden 1972 (Guru Guru, Xhol, Xhol Caravan) US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink (NEW 12" VINYL) US $32.39 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Blues Caravan: Guitars & Feathers by Coleman, Deborah, Kane, Candye, Wilde, Dan US $10.75 Buy It Now 4h 23m
2 ISLEY BROTHERS MUSIC CD?Between the Sheets?Who's That Lady?Caravan of Love US $3.99 [0 bids]
Inspiral Carpets(7" Vinyl)Caravan-Mute-DUNG 13-UK-Ex/NM US $6.46 Buy It Now 4h 51m
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All ... japan mini LP SHM CD US $24.99 [0 bids]
Caravan ?With Strings Attached SEALED 2003 Germany CD National Health Quiet Sun US $37.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan ?Canterbury Comes To London (Live From The Astoria) SEALED 1997 UK CD US $38.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan Cunning Stunts SEALED rem 2001 UK CD w/ 4 bns trx Richard Thompson Camel US $13.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night SEALED Rem 2001 CD w/ 5 Bns Trx US $13.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan Blind Dog at St. Dunstan's SEALED 1994 German CD Mirage Jethro Tull Khan US $15.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan Better by Far SEALED 2004 UK rem CD Steeleye Span Renaissance Camel Gong US $23.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan & the New Symphonia SEALED '01 UK rem CD w 4 bns trx Fairport Convention US $13.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Jethro Tull Minstrel in the Gallery SEALED 2002 US CD w/ 5 Bns Trx Caravan Camel US $12.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Hatfield and the North Live 1990 SEALED 1993 UK CD Matching Mole Caravan Camel US $48.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Jethro Tull War Child 2002 SEALED Rem w/ 7 Bns Trx Fairport Convention Caravan US $11.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan Traveling Ways: The HTD Anthology SEALED 2001 UK 2CD Set Jethro Tull US $15.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan Nowhere to Hide SEALED 2003 Germany CD Jethro Tull Soft Machine Camel US $37.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan S/T SEALED 2002 UK Verve CD Hatfield and the North Wilde Flowers Camel US $15.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Jethro Tull Rock Island SEALED 2006 UK CD w/ 3 Bns Trx Caravan Camel Renaissance US $17.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Hatfield and the North S/T SEALED 2005 Rem USA CD (Caroline 1833) Caravan Camel US $11.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan Surprise Supplies SEALED 1999 UK HTD CD National Health Jethro Tull Khan US $32.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan Songs for Oblivion Fishermen SEALED 1998 UK CD Camel National Health US $13.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan All Over You...Too SEALED 2000 UK CD Jethro Tull Gong Mirage Centipede US $21.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan Live at the Fairfield Halls 1974 SEALED 2002 rem UK CD Jethro Tull Camel US $13.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Jim Leverton End Of The Pier Show SEALED UK CD Caravan Pengujin Cafe Orchestra US $28.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan All Over You SEALED 1999 Uk CD Hatfield and the North Camel Gilgamesh US $17.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Jethro Tull Roots to Branches SEALED 1997 USA CD Camel Caravan Camel Yes Genesis US $11.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan If I Could Do It All Over SEALED 2001 Rem UK CD w/ 4 Bns Trx Jethro Tull US $13.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Caravan Waterloo Lily SEALED 2001 Rem UK CD 4 bns trx Jethro Tull Steeleye Span US $13.95 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Tzigane Balalaikas gypsy strings, SET 1. Caravan Records CRS-308, AUTOGRAPHED!!! US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Caravan- cunning stunts (SHM-CD) Japanese mini Lp (camel- curved air) US $47.99 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Caravan : For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night CD (2007) US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In the Night NEW CD US $7.96 Buy It Now 5h 55m
HOUSEMARTINS-CARAVAN OF LOVE /WHEN I FIRST MET JESUS-UK 7" PS 1986 US $3.22 Buy It Now 6h 41m
AWAY WE GO! /HOCTOR RECORDS HLPS 4189/Dance Caravan Souvenir Album US $14.99 [0 bids]
Caravan- s/t (SHM-CD) Japanese mini Lp (camel- curved air) US $47.99 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Crystal Caravan Crystal Caravan CD US $15.00 Buy It Now 6h 58m
CARAVAN BETTER BY FAR ex++ / ex+ 1977 UK VINYL LP US $6.48 [0 bids]
SPIRIT CARAVAN ? JUG FULLA SUN CD WINO OBSESSED SAINT VITUS WIZARD KYUSS TROUBLE US $59.99 [0 bids]
Robin Trower "Caravan To Midnight" 8 Track! Brand New!! Sealed US $11.00 Buy It Now 7h 16m
CARAVAN - American Antarai - CD US $19.83 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Caravan - Debut 1st LP (Verve UK Original Mono LP 1969) A-1/ B-1. Psych Prog US $149.06 [30 bids]
CAMEL MIRAGE CD KING CRIMSON CARAVAN GENTLE GIANT GENESIS YES VAN DER GRAF GONG US $4.99 [0 bids]
Caravan Madviolet MUSIC CD US $14.80 Buy It Now 7h 32m
JIMMY CARAVAN: Hey Jude (vinyl LP) cw US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 43m
GG Caravan s/t 2012 CD MINT US $7.99 Buy It Now 8h 4m
THE HOUSEMARTINS - CARAVAN OF LOVE 12" VINYL 5 TRACKS US $9.46 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Galactic Caravan - Journey To India [CD New] US $14.22 Buy It Now 8h 19m
Inspiral Carpets 12" Vinyl Caravan UK Import US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 25m
Caravan For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night London Records XPS 637 NM Vinyl US $1.59 [2 bids]
GALACTIC CARAVAN - JOURNEY TO INDIA NEW CD US $19.40 Buy It Now 8h 29m
45rpm~MARTERIE,Ralph~Pretend/Caravan ?C-30020-X45 Mercury ?Vinyl 7" Record ?VG US $6.50 Buy It Now 8h 37m
CARAVAN CD PLUMP IN THE NIGHT (1973). FOLK PROG DECCA REMASTER 2001 12 TRACKS US $10.53 [0 bids]
Jalousie - Caravan dick contino Horace Heidt MA 500 US $2.97 [0 bids]
Tunng vs. Dollboy ?LTD x 800 copies 7" Static Caravan IDM LEFTFIELD US $3.22 Buy It Now 9h 22m
CARAVAN - CUNNING STUNTS [BONUS TRACKS] [JAPAN] - NEW CD US $6.52 Buy It Now 9h 36m
WATCHA CLAN - DIASPORA HI-FI: A MEDITERRANEAN CARAVAN [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $19.10 Buy It Now 9h 45m
Black Sabbath/Slade/Caravan/Taste/Sunforest Marquee Club March 1970 Flyer US $121.52 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Steel Guitar INSTRUMENTAL 45 Santo & Johnny "CARAVAN" / "SUMMERTIME" US $9.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN CUNNING STUNTS UK PROMO 1975 BTM RECORDS NM VINYL PSYCH LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
John Big Band La Barbera - Caravan [CD New] US $13.20 Buy It Now 10h 22m
RUSH -Power Windows,OOP 1986,Pink Floyd,Beatles,Queen,Eloy,Caravan,Yes,Genesis US $2.50 [0 bids]
Gypsy Caravan - Awakening [CD New] US $20.98 Buy It Now 11h 14m
Caravan - Cunning Stunts [CD New] US $9.53 Buy It Now 11h 17m
GALACTIC CARAVAN - JOURNEY TO INDIA [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $11.24 Buy It Now 11h 41m
Rare Prog/ Caravan/ Cunning Stunts/1975/ VG+ vinyl VG(solid) cover/ BTM records US $17.99 Buy It Now 11h 49m
Benny Goodman : The Camel Caravan Shows Vol.1: 14/10/39-28/10/39 CD (2003) US $12.46 Buy It Now 12h
Caravan : Headloss CD (1999) US $6.38 Buy It Now 12h
Robin Trower - Lot of (3) Albums - Take What You Need Bridge of Sighs Caravan To US $30.00 Buy It Now 12h 16m
The Best of Caravan "Live" - Japan Mini LP SHM CD UICY-94333 US $59.99 Buy It Now 12h 43m
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night London XPS 637 VG+/VG++ US $14.99 Buy It Now 12h 53m
CARAVAN & THE NEW SYMPHONIA ORIG 1st US Pressing PS 650 VG/VG+ US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h
CARAVAN IN THE LAND OF GREY & PINK MUSIC CD NEW US $23.63 Buy It Now 13h 3m
LUIS ARCARAZ STORMY WEATHER/CARAVAN 45 RPM RCA 447-0064 US $3.98 Buy It Now 13h 5m
Virtual Oasis by Haji Mike/Dub Caravan (CD, Jul-2010, DubMed) US $4.99 [0 bids]
ARTHUR LYMAN - CARAVAN [SINGLE] - NEW CD US $6.72 Buy It Now 15h 8m
JIMMY CARAVAN - HEY JUDE [JIMMY CARAVAN] - NEW CD US $12.61 Buy It Now 15h 22m
CARAVAN - CUNNING STUNTS [CARAVAN] [4009910513927] - NEW CD US $10.49 Buy It Now 15h 35m
CARAVAN - LIVE ON AIR [CARAVAN] - NEW CD US $6.52 Buy It Now 15h 54m
BUNNY BERIGAN & ORCHESTRA Caravan HMV 78-B 8632 UK PRESS A Study In Brown US $16.00 Buy It Now 15h 54m
ROBIN TROWER 1978 Caravan To Midnight 12" Vinyl 33 LP CHRYSALIS Blues Rock US $14.99 [0 bids]
Casa Loma Caravan, Glen Gray & the Casa Loma Orchestra, 12", excellent condition US $12.00 [0 bids]
CD / Caravan - Cunning Stunts 1992 / Deram 844 126-2 UK US $8.00 Buy It Now 16h 38m
THE HOUSEMARTIANS - CARAVAN OF LOVE - 45rpm + FREE P/S* (MS4) US $1.25 [0 bids]
Squirrel Nut Zippers, Christmas Caravan Audio CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 17h 31m
VA Medicine Ball Caravan Warner Bro. BS 2565 US 1971 SEALED M US $17.99 Buy It Now 17h 46m
Gospel Singing Caravan The LeFevres Prophets & Blue Ridge Quartet George Younce US $24.88 Buy It Now 17h 48m
CARAVAN EP RECORD BOEC 2129 US $6.00 Buy It Now 18h 39m

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 ratings distribution

CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Unlike the previous compilation this a good start if one wants an overview of the band's best albums but I like better the first Canter Tales. Or better yet start with the original albums from that era as some choices here are disputable.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#21463) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Review by Trotsky
4 stars I know this may sound heretical, but in some ways I don't really think of Caravan as a typical prog rock band. Yes, I know Caravan cut some definitive epics like Where But For Caravan Would I Be?, the whole Can't Be Long Now/Francoise/For Richard/Warlock suite and most particularly Nine Feet Underground, but I'll be damned if I don't love their shorter, whimsical folk/pop stuff every bit as much. Certainly Caravan's gift for melody and lyrics (in other words, these guys really knew how to write a "song") meant that their strengths differed from the other Canterbury groups with whom they are often lumped.

Take Place Of My Own, off the first album Caravan. What a wonderful haunting song, but it's four minutes long, generally adheres to the verse, chorus, verse format and while it does have a memorable Dave Sinclair keyboard solo, there are no complex chord patterns, radical arrangements or time signature/key changes to speak of. And it may just be my favourite Caravan song. And there's the jolly little ditty Hello Hello (off If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You), the ethereal, joyous The World Is Yours and most glaringly Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly) which could have been cut quite convincingly by the glam bands of the time. When I listen to these classic songs I'm amazed that Caravan didn't break into the pop charts in the late 60s/early 70s.

Now getting back to this double CD collection ... its material is culled from Caravan's first six studio albums (1968's Caravan through to 1975' Cunning Stunts) as well as the 1974 live album Caravan & The New Symphonia. It contains most of Caravan's best music during this era, although because there is an effort to give equal representation to most of the albums, some great songs have been left off in place of some weaker ones (I think I'd rate every song on the third album In The Land Of Grey And Pink above the best moments of Cunning Stunts). While the omission of Love Song With A Flute, Where But For Caravan Would I Be?, Winter Wine and Surprise, Surprise is probably just a little too much to take, most of the music here is top notch.

For me, the stars of Caravan were always the bustling underrated organist Dave Sinclair and the even less acknowledged frontman Pye Hastings (I don't mean to disrespect the fine work of bassist Richard Sinclair and stalwart drummer Richard Coughlan by the way). Hastings' withwrawn wisftul personality comes through the music as strongly as Dave Sinclair's strong keyboard work colours it. The dreaminess of pieces like the aching Place Of My Own and And I Wish I were Stoned/Don't Worry seem like an extension of Pye's introverted character, yet there's a fair amount of exuberant playfulness on Love To Love You, Hello Hello, Golf Girl (a Richard Sinclair tune that foreshadows Down On The Farm, the tune he cut on Camel's Breathless album) and The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again. As the only real soloist in the band for its first three albums, Sinclair's chops come to the fore at various moments during And I Wish I Were Stoned, For Richard (which also had some great flute and sax work by Pye's brother Jimmy) and the pulsating 22 minute jazz-rock epic Nine Feet Underground, which is undoubtedly Caravan's deepest stab at prog greatness.

Unfortunately for Caravan, its classic line-up split up after the first three (virtually flawless) albums when Dave Sinclair left to join Robert Wyatt's Matching Mole and was replaced by Delivery's Steve Miller. Even though Dave would return after just one album, he had sparked off a game of musical chairs that saw Richard Sinclair depart for Hatfield And The North, with first John Perry, then (former Curved Air bassist) Mike Wedgwood while multi-instrumentalist Geoffrey Richardson also hopped on board.

Despite the changes the albums that followed Dave Sinclair's departure housed quite a few gems. These include The World Is Yours, which is yet another Caravan song that makes you wanna run in the street pretending its one of those three days a year in England when the sun actually shines, Memory Lain Hugh which sees Caravan actually try some guitar-dominated commercial rock (a la Bad Company and Steve Miller Band) for a while although the group's instincts eventually take over and the song ends in a dreamy flute solo and The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again, which despite featuring Dave on synth for the first time, feels like a return to the earliest days of classic Caravan. Other notable moments are Be All Right/Chance Of A Lifetime and the A Hunting We Will Go suite.

The tracks from the live album also see Caravan in outstanding form although I'm not too sure about some of the arrangements on the earlier part of The Love In Your Eye and including a live version of For Richard (as brilliant as it is) is perhaps questionable when so many other great tracks have been left off. Still there's scarcely a weak moment on this collection although I'm not overly fond of the later rockier material like Headloss and Stuck In A Hole which were indicators that Caravan was headed for less exciting territory after the disappointing Cunning Stunts album (by the time of this release the band sounds like Wings!).

The frustrating thing about this compilation is that it probably had enough room to be an "all you'll ever need from Caravan" kind of release, but despite the numerous brilliant tracks, it still has its flaws. It will leave you wanting more, and any Caravan fan can truthfully vouch for the fact that the band has more to offer. You're better off checking out the full albums, but if you want convincing of Caravan's greatness, this collection will certainly do the trick. (Incidentally one of Asia's most fascinating groups - the 70s political psych/folk outfit from Thailand was also called Caravan). ... 75% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#21464) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 09, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Visitors to Canterbury, start here

An excellent introduction to the music of Caravan from the time of their creative peak (the Deram years, up to and including "Cunning stunts"). All the greats are here, including "For Richard", "Nine feet underground", "If I could do it all over again, I'd do it all over you" and too many others to mention.

There appear to be slightly differing versions of the collection. The cassette version I have includes "Virgin on the ridiculous" from the New Symphonia album, which is replaced on the CD version by "The love in your eye" from the same album.

An essential introduction to the band.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#74694) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Review by fuxi
3 stars This 2-CD set expands the 1976 double LP also entitled CANTERBURY TALES, which used to provide an excellent introduction to Caravan's best material. All the tunes from the original double LP are here, and in addition there's quite a bit of material from the somewhat disappointing CUNNING STUNTS (1974) and from the band's legendary debut album (CARAVAN, 1968). Surprisingly, this double CD offers two different versions of Caravan's beloved mini-epic 'For Richard': the original studio version (featuring some gorgeous playing by Jimmy Hastings) and the live performance from CARAVAN AND THE NEW SYMPHONIA, which isn't half as good as the version from LIVE AT FAIRFIELD HALLS that used to be on the CANTERBURY TALES LP.

I would recommend this collection almost without reservations, were it not for the fact that none of the music has been digitally remastered. If you want a proper introduction to Caravan, it seems a much better idea to listen to their music on Prog Archives, and if you like their style, you can then buy the remasters of their most popular albums, all of which come with highly enjoyable bonus tracks.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#157005) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 29, 2007

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Let me start by saying that while I was an avid prog collector for most of the seventies, I somehow missed this band back then, and this is still the only recording of this band that I own. And secondly, Canterbury has never been a favorite of mine when choosing progressive music.

But here goes:

This collection covers the first six of Caravan's studio albums, released between 1968 and 1975, plus their first live album. The early recordings sound like sixties proto-prog, and are all somewhat light and airy. You can actually hear the band's sound mature through the albums to a more polished style. There are some nice songs here, but to me, the whole affair is just a bit too laid back for my tastes.

The thing I appreciate most about this band is their sense of humor (or is it humour for Brits?) when coming up with song and album titles. I especially like "The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again".

3 stars for me, probably more for true Canterbury fans.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#223243) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 26, 2009

Review by snobb
4 stars Perfect big collection from best period of Caravan activity. Represents almost everything from 1968 to 1975, so you don't need from the band nothing else unless you're heavy Caravan collector.

The band itself if interesting and have many very melodic, pleasant and perfectly played songs. For me, Caravan always was a bit different from real Canterbury sound. I like Khan,Gong and ofter are waiting for almost jazz fusion sound. Caravan is different and in some moments are very folky. Even in long compositions, where jazz influence is more feelable, all sound is not jazzy relaxed, but more folky organised. It doesn't mean that the music is not good enough, just Caravan's sound is always a bit different from usual Canterbury sound.

Any way, this double album represents quite different trends in band's different albums,so you can choose, what you like more. For me in some moments songs sound as pure folk prog, in other there are a bit more improvisational freedom. But because of perfect melodies and strong musicianship, all the album is attractive for listening.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#252331) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 23, 2009

5 stars Excellent for beginners! This compilation contains the best tracks from the first seven albums of the best band's period. Next to the sweet, melody pop songs (but fascinatingly arranged), you'll find long, complicated tracks including enlarged instrumental sections and beautiful, jazzy solos. ... (read more)

Report this review (#21462) | Posted by | Sunday, November 23, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CARAVAN "Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975"