CANTERBURY TALES: THE BEST OF CARAVAN 1968-1975

3. Hello Hello
4. If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You
5. And I Wish I Were Stoned / Don't Worry
6. Can't Be Long Now / Francoise / For Richard / Warlock
7. Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly)
8. Golf Girl

1. Memory Lain, Hugh
2. Headloss
3. Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again, The
4. Be All Right / Chance Of A Lifetime
5. L'Auberge Du Sanglier / Hunting We Shall Go, A / Pengola / Backwards / Hunting We Shall Go (Reprise), A
6. Love In Your Eye, The - (live)
7. For Richard - (live)
8. Stuck In A Hole
9. Lover / No Backstage Pass
10. Show Of Our Lives, The

Search CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 lyrics

Search CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 tabs

Deram

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 Music

Waterloo LilyWaterloo Lily
Polygram UK 2001
CaravanCaravan
Universal I.S. 2002
If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do ItIf I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It
Polygram UK 2001
For Girls Who Grow Plump in NightFor Girls Who Grow Plump in Night
Polygram UK 2005
All Over You & You TooAll Over You & You Too
Talking Elephant 2012
CARAVAN - IF I COULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN, I'D DO IT ALL OVER YOU (1970)JAPAN CD US $49.50 Buy It Now 43m 32s
CARAVAN The Battle of Hastings CD PROG (Camel, Egg, Hatfield & The North, Khan) US $17.99 [0 bids]
1h
Hear {50s Vocal Pop Ballad} JOE SALVATORE ~ Mine / Gypsy Caravan US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h
MAYO HUBERT - CARAVAN DE SANTINO NEW CD US $27.75 Buy It Now 2h 19m
The Peter Ulrich Collaboration The Painted Caravan CD US $11.98 Buy It Now 2h 27m
"Classic Rock" "Caravan" "Plump In The Night" "Rare Lp" US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Christmas Caravan by Squirrel Nut Zippers (CD, Oct-1998, Mammoth) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Shareef Budmaash, Golmaal, Caravan, Mehbooba, Kudrat - Songs MP3 CD US $2.93 Buy It Now 5h 53m
White, Peter,CD,Cut-Out,Caravan of Dreams US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Music CD, Mercury Rev, the Dark is Rising / Nocturne in C Minor / Planet Caravan US $3.30 [0 bids]
Paul Chain Unreleased Vol. 2 guest Wino(St.Vitus-Obsessed-Spirit Caravan)CD US $12.90 Buy It Now 10h 25m
Art Blakey - And Jazz Messengers - Caravan + Buhaina´s Delight Cd New US $15.95 Buy It Now 10h 44m
David Arkenstone - Caravan Of Light (2000) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 11h 15m
American Caravan Volume 2 7" Reel to Reel 4 Track US $15.99 Buy It Now 11h 16m
Robin Trower - Caravan To Midnight/Victims Of (2001) - New - Compact Disc US $13.96 Buy It Now 11h 17m
Robin Trower - Caravan To Midnight 12" LP on Chrysalis CHR1189 Plays Excellent + US $8.29 [0 bids]
CARAVAN and the new symphonia LP 4 track red/white label design (smlr1110) uk de US $27.01 Buy It Now 12h 15m
BENNY GOODMAN & His Orchestra-Camel Caravan-12" Vinyl Record LP-Fanfare-13 113 US $6.62 [0 bids]
Caravan by Art Blakey Original JazzClassics(CD, Jun-2007, Concord) US $6.41 Buy It Now 14h 9m
American Caravan Record Album pop box set of 10 - Remember, LoveIs Blue 33 LP US $19.00 Buy It Now 14h 35m
Both Sides of Life by Joe d'Urso, Stone Caravan (CD, Mar-2003, 2 Discs,... US $10.00 Buy It Now 15h 9m
Esquire Boys We Drifted Apart/Caravan Rare Red Vinyl 1952 Ex No Reserve US $0.99 [0 bids]
BARBARA DICKSON Vinyl LP- All For A Song (incl January February US $9.93 Buy It Now 15h 15m
Jimmy Caravan, Hey Jude, Muntz Stereo-Pak 4 Track Tape US $19.00 [0 bids]
CASINO ORCHESTRA Where My Caravan Has Rested - Waltz 78 COLUMBIA 2447 US $21.54 Buy It Now 15h 48m
MEDICINE BALL CARAVAN 1971 Psych Hard Rock Blues Folk ALICE COOPER STONEGROUND US $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 51m
CARAVAN GREY & PINK Sealed Rare OBI Replica LP JAPAN CD US $149.99 Buy It Now 16h 6m
The LAFAYETTES vocal group 45 CARAVAN OF LONELY MEN / I STILL DO ~ VG++ US $11.88 Buy It Now 16h 7m
CARAVAN For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night JAPAN MINI LP CD UICY-9060 NO OBI US $19.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN WATERLOO Sealed Rare OBI Replica LP JAPAN CD US $110.49 Buy It Now 16h 18m
JIMMY CARAVAN-LOOK INTO THE FLOWER 1968 TOWER RECORDS T 5103 PROMO MONO VG++ US $24.99 Buy It Now 16h 29m
CARAVAN FOR GIRLS Sealed Rare OBI Replica LP JAPAN CD US $152.99 Buy It Now 16h 30m
CARAVAN CUNNING Sealed Rare OBI Replica LP JAPAN CD US $110.49 Buy It Now 16h 35m
R&B 78 Joe LIggins Exclusive 216 Caravan + Going to Heaven E+ w/edgebite NAP US $8.49 Buy It Now 16h 35m
Joe D'Urso & Stone Caravan - Sway (NEW CD) (Bruce Springsteen) US $19.88 Buy It Now 16h 36m
Caravan - Better By Far (NEW CD) US $19.47 Buy It Now 16h 51m
Caravan - The Unauthorised Breakfast (NEW CD) US $19.47 Buy It Now 16h 51m
CARAVAN SYMPHONIA Sealed Rare OBI Replica LP JAPAN CD US $129.99 Buy It Now 16h 53m
Caravan - Highways Call To Me [CD New] US $14.99 Buy It Now 17h 9m
Mayo Hubert - Caravan De Santino [CD New] US $17.37 Buy It Now 17h 9m
CARAVAN - Recorded Live In Concert At Metropolis Studios London - 2xLP US $41.87 Buy It Now 17h 24m
RONALD SHANNON JACKSON Texas LP Caravan of Dreams US $8.37 Buy It Now 18h 9m
Pantera Planet Caravan Red 12" US $13.25 [0 bids]
CARAVAN Songs and Signs DECCA German import NEAR MINT R*A*R*E* US $69.95 Buy It Now 18h 26m
Jimmy Caravan Hey Jude Beatles Doors OtisRedding covers IsaacHayes organ soul US $9.99 [0 bids]
Up, Bustle And Out "The Dance Of Caravan Summer" 1996 Ninja Tune, ZEN 1242 VG+ US $24.99 Buy It Now 18h 53m
Buddy Rich SEVEN CLASSIC ALBUMS VOL 2 In Miami BLUES CARAVAN New Sealed 4 CD US $10.99 [0 bids]
STEVEN GROSSMAN CARAVAN TONIGHT LP SRM-1-702 US $18.73 Buy It Now 19h 9m
ISLEY JASPER ISLEY: Caravan Of Love (soul vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 19h 16m
JIM FLAHERTY'S CARAVAN / MY DARLING ROSIE 45 / BELMONT RECORD SHOP-CONNECTICUT US $75.00 Buy It Now 19h 18m
Caravan/Gordon Giltrap/Sundance 1973 Concert Poster US $29.85 Buy It Now 19h 21m
GOSPEL SINGING CARAVAN.."CHRISTMAS CARD"..LEFEVRES, BLUE RIDGE, PROPHETS.....NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 24m
COMEDY CARAVAN GRIFFITH YORGESSON KARI FREBERT LP T732 US $5.00 Buy It Now 19h 29m
RICHARD SINCLAIR CARAVAN OF DREAMS An Evening Of Magic 2xCD Hatfield US $24.99 [0 bids]
Tropical Islanders Musical Pot-Pourri LP Caravan MMS-017 Steel Band US $6.62 [0 bids]
TEX WILLIAMS: And His Western Caravan (country vinyl LP) US $18.00 Buy It Now 20h 47m
Robin Trower "Caravan At Midnight" US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 50m
THE HOUSEMARTINS - CARAVAN OF LOVE - US $7.99 [0 bids]
JOE D'URSO / STONE CARAVAN ROCK AND ROLL STATION cd signed. US $16.58 Buy It Now 21h 25m
VARIOUS ARTISTS - MEDICINE BALL CARAVAN - US $8.99 [0 bids]
Johnny Dupont 7" 45 HEAR MOD JAZZ SOUL FUNK Caravan COLUMBIA Spectrum US $15.00 Buy It Now 22h 16m
THE VENTURES CARAVAN RARE JAPAN OBI REPLICA SEALED CD SELLS FOR AS MUCH AS $2100 US $212.49 Buy It Now 22h 17m
Robin Trower - Caravan to Midnight - LP US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 21m
Jazz Giants Play: Duke Ellington - Caravan by Jazz Giants US $7.63 Buy It Now 22h 26m
Casa Loma Caravan - Glen Gray - LP - T856 US $4.00 [0 bids]
Isley Jasper Isley, Caravan of Love: Best of Audio CD US $16.49 Buy It Now 23h 3m
CARAVAN CANTERBURY EVERYWHERE CD LONDON 1976 US $19.99 Buy It Now 23h 9m
CARAVAN the album NEAR MINT CANTERBURY SCENE PSYCH PROG FOLK LP progressive rock US $31.50 [0 bids]
Housemartins, The- Caravan Of Love 12" US $10.36 Buy It Now 23h 38m
Christmas Caravan by Squirrel Nut Zippers (CD, Oct-1998, Mammoth) US $7.95 [0 bids]
Robin Trower Caravan To Midnight *CHR-1189* Record, Vinyl, Album, LP US $4.97 [0 bids]
GOSPEL SINGING CARAVAN Blue Ridge Quartet w/ George Younce Prophets Qt. vinyl LP US $18.88 Buy It Now 1 day
VARIOUS ARTIST - DANCING AT THE CARAVAN VOL 8 - US $24.99 [0 bids]
Swing Caravan Get It Fresh CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
The Housemartins 45 Caravan Of love Elektra Records 1987 PROMO COPY US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rock Sealed! MEDICINE BALL CARAVAN Alice Cooper et ORIG EB373 US $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BORODIN, ALEXANDER - CARAVAN: THE ULTIMATE SILK ROAD ALBUM - NEW CD US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
VINTAGE Vincent Youmans Dance Album Barry Winton RED VINYL 45 RPM Caravan RARE US $25.00 [0 bids]
Tactile (2)- Aldabra / Caravan 12" US $10.36 Buy It Now 1 day
Art Blakley-Night in Tunisia (1957) A Night in Tunisia (1960) Caravan (1962) CD US $18.99 [0 bids]
Caravan "Waterloo Lily" LP London XPS 615 NM Canterbury Prog Camel Soft Machine US $4.00 [1 bids]
CARAVAN SELF TITLED LP MGM RECORDS 2353 058 SELECT US $19.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN & THE NEW SYMPHONIA LONDON RECORDS PS650 US $9.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN PLUMP IN THE NIGHT LONDON RECORDS XPS 637 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Two Tragedy Poets (...And a Caravan of Weird Figures) by Elvenking (CD,... US $1.99 [1 bids]
The Vintage Caravan: Voyage (2014) CD OBI TAIWAN US $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Housemartins - Caravan Of Love/When I First... - 1987 Picture Sleeve PS 7" US $5.99 [0 bids]
Caravan "Cunning Stunts" LP BTM Records Canterbury Prog Camel Hatfield + North US $4.00 [1 bids]
Oscarlima : Desert Caravan CD US $4.67 Buy It Now 1 day
Camel "Rain Dances" LP Prog 1977 Caravan Mel Collins Canterbury Bardens Latimer US $4.00 [0 bids]
Paris Washboard Caravan CD US $5.74 Buy It Now 1 day
MACHITO PUENTE LOCO Mambo Caravan black label TICO afro Cuban Latin LP 1007 T US $15.99 [2 bids]
VENEZUELAN TOURING CARAVAN: Inter-american Travel Seminar (latin vinyl LP) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Dick Clark Caravan Of Stars US 1964 Programme (Autographed) US $198.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Kronos Quartet Caravan Troilo Halhor FLAWLESS CD 3DayShip-AddlCDsShipFree US $18.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JOE VALINO 45 GEORGE SIRAVO VIK GARDEN OF EDEN CARAVAN US $3.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Kronos Quartet - Caravan [CD New] US $17.13 Buy It Now 1 day
CARAVAN IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK DERAM CD 1989 GERMAN IMPORT US $4.97 [0 bids]
VVAA - EARL'S BACKROOM AND COZY'S CARAVAN UK reissue EX NM (AFFINITY) LP US $25.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Hubert Mayo - Caravan De Santino CD US $23.47 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 ratings distribution

CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Unlike the previous compilation this a good start if one wants an overview of the band's best albums but I like better the first Canter Tales. Or better yet start with the original albums from that era as some choices here are disputable.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#21463) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Review by Trotsky
4 stars I know this may sound heretical, but in some ways I don't really think of Caravan as a typical prog rock band. Yes, I know Caravan cut some definitive epics like Where But For Caravan Would I Be?, the whole Can't Be Long Now/Francoise/For Richard/Warlock suite and most particularly Nine Feet Underground, but I'll be damned if I don't love their shorter, whimsical folk/pop stuff every bit as much. Certainly Caravan's gift for melody and lyrics (in other words, these guys really knew how to write a "song") meant that their strengths differed from the other Canterbury groups with whom they are often lumped.

Take Place Of My Own, off the first album Caravan. What a wonderful haunting song, but it's four minutes long, generally adheres to the verse, chorus, verse format and while it does have a memorable Dave Sinclair keyboard solo, there are no complex chord patterns, radical arrangements or time signature/key changes to speak of. And it may just be my favourite Caravan song. And there's the jolly little ditty Hello Hello (off If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You), the ethereal, joyous The World Is Yours and most glaringly Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly) which could have been cut quite convincingly by the glam bands of the time. When I listen to these classic songs I'm amazed that Caravan didn't break into the pop charts in the late 60s/early 70s.

Now getting back to this double CD collection ... its material is culled from Caravan's first six studio albums (1968's Caravan through to 1975' Cunning Stunts) as well as the 1974 live album Caravan & The New Symphonia. It contains most of Caravan's best music during this era, although because there is an effort to give equal representation to most of the albums, some great songs have been left off in place of some weaker ones (I think I'd rate every song on the third album In The Land Of Grey And Pink above the best moments of Cunning Stunts). While the omission of Love Song With A Flute, Where But For Caravan Would I Be?, Winter Wine and Surprise, Surprise is probably just a little too much to take, most of the music here is top notch.

For me, the stars of Caravan were always the bustling underrated organist Dave Sinclair and the even less acknowledged frontman Pye Hastings (I don't mean to disrespect the fine work of bassist Richard Sinclair and stalwart drummer Richard Coughlan by the way). Hastings' withwrawn wisftul personality comes through the music as strongly as Dave Sinclair's strong keyboard work colours it. The dreaminess of pieces like the aching Place Of My Own and And I Wish I were Stoned/Don't Worry seem like an extension of Pye's introverted character, yet there's a fair amount of exuberant playfulness on Love To Love You, Hello Hello, Golf Girl (a Richard Sinclair tune that foreshadows Down On The Farm, the tune he cut on Camel's Breathless album) and The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again. As the only real soloist in the band for its first three albums, Sinclair's chops come to the fore at various moments during And I Wish I Were Stoned, For Richard (which also had some great flute and sax work by Pye's brother Jimmy) and the pulsating 22 minute jazz-rock epic Nine Feet Underground, which is undoubtedly Caravan's deepest stab at prog greatness.

Unfortunately for Caravan, its classic line-up split up after the first three (virtually flawless) albums when Dave Sinclair left to join Robert Wyatt's Matching Mole and was replaced by Delivery's Steve Miller. Even though Dave would return after just one album, he had sparked off a game of musical chairs that saw Richard Sinclair depart for Hatfield And The North, with first John Perry, then (former Curved Air bassist) Mike Wedgwood while multi-instrumentalist Geoffrey Richardson also hopped on board.

Despite the changes the albums that followed Dave Sinclair's departure housed quite a few gems. These include The World Is Yours, which is yet another Caravan song that makes you wanna run in the street pretending its one of those three days a year in England when the sun actually shines, Memory Lain Hugh which sees Caravan actually try some guitar-dominated commercial rock (a la Bad Company and Steve Miller Band) for a while although the group's instincts eventually take over and the song ends in a dreamy flute solo and The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again, which despite featuring Dave on synth for the first time, feels like a return to the earliest days of classic Caravan. Other notable moments are Be All Right/Chance Of A Lifetime and the A Hunting We Will Go suite.

The tracks from the live album also see Caravan in outstanding form although I'm not too sure about some of the arrangements on the earlier part of The Love In Your Eye and including a live version of For Richard (as brilliant as it is) is perhaps questionable when so many other great tracks have been left off. Still there's scarcely a weak moment on this collection although I'm not overly fond of the later rockier material like Headloss and Stuck In A Hole which were indicators that Caravan was headed for less exciting territory after the disappointing Cunning Stunts album (by the time of this release the band sounds like Wings!).

The frustrating thing about this compilation is that it probably had enough room to be an "all you'll ever need from Caravan" kind of release, but despite the numerous brilliant tracks, it still has its flaws. It will leave you wanting more, and any Caravan fan can truthfully vouch for the fact that the band has more to offer. You're better off checking out the full albums, but if you want convincing of Caravan's greatness, this collection will certainly do the trick. (Incidentally one of Asia's most fascinating groups - the 70s political psych/folk outfit from Thailand was also called Caravan). ... 75% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#21464) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 09, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Visitors to Canterbury, start here

An excellent introduction to the music of Caravan from the time of their creative peak (the Deram years, up to and including "Cunning stunts"). All the greats are here, including "For Richard", "Nine feet underground", "If I could do it all over again, I'd do it all over you" and too many others to mention.

There appear to be slightly differing versions of the collection. The cassette version I have includes "Virgin on the ridiculous" from the New Symphonia album, which is replaced on the CD version by "The love in your eye" from the same album.

An essential introduction to the band.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#74694) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Review by fuxi
3 stars This 2-CD set expands the 1976 double LP also entitled CANTERBURY TALES, which used to provide an excellent introduction to Caravan's best material. All the tunes from the original double LP are here, and in addition there's quite a bit of material from the somewhat disappointing CUNNING STUNTS (1974) and from the band's legendary debut album (CARAVAN, 1968). Surprisingly, this double CD offers two different versions of Caravan's beloved mini-epic 'For Richard': the original studio version (featuring some gorgeous playing by Jimmy Hastings) and the live performance from CARAVAN AND THE NEW SYMPHONIA, which isn't half as good as the version from LIVE AT FAIRFIELD HALLS that used to be on the CANTERBURY TALES LP.

I would recommend this collection almost without reservations, were it not for the fact that none of the music has been digitally remastered. If you want a proper introduction to Caravan, it seems a much better idea to listen to their music on Prog Archives, and if you like their style, you can then buy the remasters of their most popular albums, all of which come with highly enjoyable bonus tracks.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#157005) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 29, 2007

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Let me start by saying that while I was an avid prog collector for most of the seventies, I somehow missed this band back then, and this is still the only recording of this band that I own. And secondly, Canterbury has never been a favorite of mine when choosing progressive music.

But here goes:

This collection covers the first six of Caravan's studio albums, released between 1968 and 1975, plus their first live album. The early recordings sound like sixties proto-prog, and are all somewhat light and airy. You can actually hear the band's sound mature through the albums to a more polished style. There are some nice songs here, but to me, the whole affair is just a bit too laid back for my tastes.

The thing I appreciate most about this band is their sense of humor (or is it humour for Brits?) when coming up with song and album titles. I especially like "The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again".

3 stars for me, probably more for true Canterbury fans.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#223243) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 26, 2009

Review by snobb
4 stars Perfect big collection from best period of Caravan activity. Represents almost everything from 1968 to 1975, so you don't need from the band nothing else unless you're heavy Caravan collector.

The band itself if interesting and have many very melodic, pleasant and perfectly played songs. For me, Caravan always was a bit different from real Canterbury sound. I like Khan,Gong and ofter are waiting for almost jazz fusion sound. Caravan is different and in some moments are very folky. Even in long compositions, where jazz influence is more feelable, all sound is not jazzy relaxed, but more folky organised. It doesn't mean that the music is not good enough, just Caravan's sound is always a bit different from usual Canterbury sound.

Any way, this double album represents quite different trends in band's different albums,so you can choose, what you like more. For me in some moments songs sound as pure folk prog, in other there are a bit more improvisational freedom. But because of perfect melodies and strong musicianship, all the album is attractive for listening.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#252331) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 23, 2009

5 stars Excellent for beginners! This compilation contains the best tracks from the first seven albums of the best band's period. Next to the sweet, melody pop songs (but fascinatingly arranged), you'll find long, complicated tracks including enlarged instrumental sections and beautiful, jazzy solos. ... (read more)

Report this review (#21462) | Posted by | Sunday, November 23, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CARAVAN "Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975"