CANTERBURY TALES: THE BEST OF CARAVAN 1968-1975

3. Hello Hello
4. If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You
5. And I Wish I Were Stoned / Don't Worry
6. Can't Be Long Now / Francoise / For Richard / Warlock
7. Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly)
8. Golf Girl

1. Memory Lain, Hugh
2. Headloss
3. Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again, The
4. Be All Right / Chance Of A Lifetime
5. L'Auberge Du Sanglier / Hunting We Shall Go, A / Pengola / Backwards / Hunting We Shall Go (Reprise), A
6. Love In Your Eye, The - (live)
7. For Richard - (live)
8. Stuck In A Hole
9. Lover / No Backstage Pass
10. Show Of Our Lives, The

Search CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 lyrics

Search CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 tabs

Deram

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 Music

For Girls Who Grow Plump in NightFor Girls Who Grow Plump in Night
Polygram UK 2005
CaravanCaravan
Universal I.S. 2002
If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do ItIf I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It
In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Polygram UK 2005
Caravan & The New SymphoniaCaravan & The New Symphonia
In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Universal UK 2011
Waterloo LilyWaterloo Lily
The Housemartins - Caravan Of Love - U.S. PROMO 12" US $4.98 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Caravan - Blind dog at St Dunstans LP Arista AL 4088 USA 1976 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Uncut Magazine Presents Fill Your Head With Prog, Various Artists, Caravan, Aphr US $3.35 Buy It Now 1h 43m
If I Could Do It All Over Again Id Do It All Over by Caravan Vinyl Record (2014) US $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
(ED470) Caravan Palace, Clash - DJ CD US $5.10 Buy It Now 2h 45m
CARAVAN & THE NEW SYMPHONIA s/t 1974 LONDON CLASSIC ROCK LP US $22.00 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Caravan - European Tour 2011: Live At Shepards Bush Empire [CD New] US $9.54 Buy It Now 2h 54m
78RPM Victor 25653 Bunny Berigan, Caravan / A Study in Brown V+ US $17.95 Buy It Now 4h 27m
"7"-Caravan-Love to Love you/Golf Girl '71 UK prog psych US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 38m
DANNY HOCTOR "DANCE CARAVAN" LP MINT US $3.00 [0 bids]
ROBIN TROWER CARAVAN TO MIDNIGHT LP US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
"Caravan" Madviolet *EXCELLENT* 2006 CD US $14.01 Buy It Now 5h 42m
LINDA PURL - MIDNIGHT CARAVAN (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $22.42 Buy It Now 5h 44m
CARAVAN - EUROPEAN TOUR 2011: LIVE AT SHEPARDS BUSH EMPIRE NEW CD US $18.21 Buy It Now 5h 49m
STEVEN GROSSMAN Caravan LP Mercury SRM-1-702 (1974) gatefold Folk Rock NM LP H US $2.99 [1 bids]
DUB CARAVAN - NOMADIC FUSIONS NEW CD US $18.58 Buy It Now 5h 58m
ROBIN TROWER CARAVAN TO MIDNIGHT LP 494 US $8.99 Buy It Now 6h
ART GENTRY 45rpm-RED VINYL- "Three Little Fishies" - CARAVAN # 624 US $0.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN PALACE - PANIC (IMPORT) NEW CD US $55.45 Buy It Now 6h 24m
Dance Caravan-Show Tunes-2 LP-Gatefold-Hector-HLPS 4322-Vinyl Record US $2.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN - MAN & BUFFALO (LTD) NEW CD US $23.96 Buy It Now 6h 30m
SPACE CIRCUS funky caravan VG/EX JAPAN RVL-8028 | 14-0318-014 US $89.99 Buy It Now 6h 32m
ART BLAKEY - CARAVAN / BUHAINA'S DELIGHT NEW CD US $19.34 Buy It Now 6h 32m
Caravan of Love by Isley Jasper Isley Cassette (Brand New, Factory Sealed) US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 35m
Hear Rare Funk Soul Breaks LP: Keep On Truckin' ~ Dance Caravan ~ Hoctor 4142 US $40.00 [0 bids]
Various - Comedy Caravan - LP ('56)Griffith, Yorgesson, Kari, Freeberg, Standley US $10.22 Buy It Now 7h 2m
CD: Elvenking - Two Tragedy Poets (...And A Caravan Of Weird Figures) US $13.36 Buy It Now 7h 17m
THE GOSPEL SINGING CARAVAN vinyl LP Sing MFLP 558 LeFevres Prophets Blue Ridge US $24.88 Buy It Now 7h 45m
Ian Anderson The Secret Language of Birds SEALED 2000 USA CD Jethro Tull Caravan US $11.95 Buy It Now 7h 54m
Caravan 1983 Marquee Club Concert Ticket US $10.24 Buy It Now 8h 11m
Caravan/Strawbs/Rose Amongst Thorns 1991 Town & Country Club Concert Ticket US $13.65 Buy It Now 8h 15m
NEW sealed CD Geordie Animals Atomic Rooster Caravan US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 26m
PANTERA - PLANET CARAVAN 4tracks, 1994 GERMANY CD US $17.39 Buy It Now 8h 42m
ART BLAKEY JAZZ MESSENGERS-3 LP'S-CARAVAN-UGETSO-3 BLIND MICE-GF US $20.23 Buy It Now 10h 20m
The Marcia Blaine School For Girls - Pink Sticks / We 7" 45 - Statin Caravan - US $6.30 [0 bids]
Caravan - A Night's Tale (SFMCD275) US $15.34 Buy It Now 12h 16m
Linda Purl - Midnight Caravan CD US $17.80 Buy It Now 12h 20m
Caravan - Man & Buffalo CD US $19.58 Buy It Now 12h 33m
Dub Caravan - Nomadic Fusions CD US $14.92 Buy It Now 12h 41m
BESIDE MY CARAVAN, Original 30's Sheet Music,ALFREDO & HIS GIPSY ORCHESTRA US $20.48 Buy It Now 12h 55m
STATIC CARAVAN.T-SHIRT LARGE.NEW BLACK US $10.22 Buy It Now 14h 14m
DARRYL WAY'S WOLF ? SATURATION POINT ? EX '73 Deram UK prog SOFT MACHINE CARAVAN US $50.00 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Caravan - European Tour 2011: Live At Shepards Bush Empire CD US $15.53 Buy It Now 14h 50m
Swing 45 Big Bucks / Caravan US $2.00 Buy It Now 14h 52m
Caravan In The Land Of Grey And Pink CD Progressive Rock Music Album Brand New US $11.93 Buy It Now 14h 54m
Robin Trower-Caravan To Midnight Vinyl LP US $5.00 [0 bids]
Xhol Caravan + Current 93 / Nurse With Wound / Christoph Heemann - Motherfuckers US $79.99 Buy It Now 15h 28m
Caravan, If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over Audio CD US $16.28 Buy It Now 15h 35m
Squirrel Nut Zippers - Christmas Caravan (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 15h 48m
Cunning Stunts by Caravan (CD, Jun-2010, Repetoire) US $14.04 Buy It Now 15h 52m
THE HOUSEMARTINS - CARAVAN OF LOVE 7/45 PORTUGAL GOI N MINT 1986 US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 52m
Cunning Stunts by Caravan (CD, Jul-2006, Repertoire) US $14.30 Buy It Now 15h 53m
CARAVAN-Better By Far/Silver Strings 7"single US $14.99 Buy It Now 16h 12m
MONTE MONTGOMERY LIVE AT THE CARAVAN OF DREAMS CD US $23.87 Buy It Now 16h 17m
Estate Find 45 RPM Record Joe Valino Garden of Eden Caravan RCA Victor Records US $8.00 Buy It Now 16h 42m
Caravan - Panorama Vision Japan Edition CD B3 US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 7m
Caravan - Live In Concert At Metropolis Studios London (cd+dvd) NEW 2 x CD US $19.61 Buy It Now 17h 14m
Caravan Box Set - 8 SHM Japan CD Mini LP Replica Albums + PROMO BOX US $350.00 [0 bids]
rare TOMMY SCOTT & HIS COUNTRY CARAVAN SEALED LP High flyin country US $8.00 Buy It Now 17h 33m
MANNHAI - HELLROAD CARAVAN CD Stoner Rock, Heavy Metal US $2.99 Buy It Now 17h 36m
George Shearing "Shearing Caravan" 1955 MGM 3175 VG++ US $15.00 Buy It Now 17h 42m
CARAVAN In the Land of Grey and Pink 40th Deluxe 2 CD & 1 DVD prog rock classic US $22.49 [0 bids]
Quincy Jones Big Band, Caravan, 12" 45rpm LP, Mercury- Japan, 45S-6 US $21.00 Buy It Now 18h 3m
CARAVAN - HEARTBREAKER - IT'S NEVER TOO LATE 7/45 PORTUGAL KINGDOM EX US $24.99 Buy It Now 18h 22m
THE VENTURES 7" PS Japan CARAVAN r7779 US $5.00 Buy It Now 18h 27m
The Housemartins(7" Vinyl P/S)Caravan Of Love-Go Discs-GOD 16-UK-Ex/Ex US $8.99 Buy It Now 18h 38m
The Gospel Singing Caravans - Caravan Caravan Caravan - LP US $3.00 Buy It Now 19h 11m
GLEN GRAY - CAMEL CARAVAN - FANFARE LP US $3.99 [0 bids]
MGM 10368 BILLY ECKSTINE - CARAVAN + A SENORITA'S BOUQUET 10" 78 RPM RECORD US $6.99 Buy It Now 19h 58m
LP-Caravan-Cunning Stunts~70's Canterbury UK ~Prog Psych US $17.00 Buy It Now 20h 29m
Caravan A HUNTING WE SHALL GO Live MUSIC ON VINYL 180g Audiophile Sealed LP US $9.99 [1 bids]
45 RPM Record CARAVAN PART I AND 2 BY COZY COLE US $16.99 [0 bids]
CANTERBURY TALES The Best of Caravan 1972 UK Decca DKL-R8/2-2lps US $19.99 Buy It Now 20h 36m
CARAVAN Blind Dog at St Dunstans White Label DJ lp US $11.99 Buy It Now 20h 40m
CARAVAN I wish I were stoned See for Miles lp US $19.99 Buy It Now 20h 44m
Caravan Live At The Fairfield Halls 1974 CD Progressive Rock Music Album New US $11.93 Buy It Now 20h 57m
JOHN G PERRY Sunset Wading OBI For MINI LP CD JAPAN New CARAVAN US $4.99 Buy It Now 21h 11m
Caravan - Caravan [Remastered] (CD 2002) NEW CD US $9.64 Buy It Now 21h 12m
HOUSEMARTINS, THE Caravan Of Love 12" UK Hull Fat Boy Slim US $3.99 [0 bids]
Caravan - Waterloo Lily [Remastered] NEW CD US $8.38 Buy It Now 21h 38m
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again (Remastered) US $16.95 Buy It Now 21h 47m
45 RECORD JOE VALINO GARDEN OF EDEN, CARAVAN US $5.60 Buy It Now 21h 47m
Essential Progressive Rock (2003) Yes, Magnum, Nice, Caravan, Man, Stray etc US $5.12 Buy It Now 21h 53m
EARTHRIDE VAMPIRE CIRCUS PROMO CD RARE 2005 SPIRIT CARAVAN SAINT VITUS WRETCHED US $8.00 [0 bids]
CARAVAN-THE BEST OF CARAVAN UK DECCA 1974 2 LP 1st PRESS G/F NEAR MINT US $49.49 Buy It Now 22h 19m
NENAD PETROVIC - CAMPUS CARAVAN 2.RARE SERBIAN ETHNO JAZZ WORLD MUSIC..FREE SHIP US $21.99 Buy It Now 22h 28m
NM LP~BOB CROSBY~Camel Caravan~{Original 1984 LEGEND Gatefold Issue]~[1939 RADIO US $5.97 Buy It Now 22h 36m
Goldfrapp caravan girl 1 track promo cd single US $1.69 [0 bids]
CARAVAN For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night JAPAN MINI LP CD UICY-9060 NO OBI US $19.99 [0 bids]
JIMMY CARAVAN look into the flower LP SEALED funk PSYCH jazz MAGIC BAND tower US $49.99 Buy It Now 22h 58m
CD Duke Ellington Caravan Imported From Spain RARE Best Songs US $79.99 Buy It Now 23h 8m
CARAVAN**CUNNING STUNTS**CD US $13.95 Buy It Now 23h 10m
CARAVAN**IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK (RM)**CD US $13.95 Buy It Now 23h 30m
SPEED CARAVAN - KALASHNIK LOVE NEW CD US $32.80 Buy It Now 1 day
ISLEY JASPER ISLEY Caravan Of Love LP NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
Ronald S. Jackson - Live at The Caravan... - LP SEALED US $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
HEAR! Teen Promo Rare 45 MERL BECKER AND THE CARAVAN Ashes Of Love on Elsam (Pro US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
7/15 Gospel Singing Caravan Southern Gospel LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
ART BLAKEY Caravan Freddie Hubbard Curtis Fuller LP US $24.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Charlie Barnet, Caravan/Darktown Strutter's Ball, Apollo 1070 US $13.00 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 ratings distribution

CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Unlike the previous compilation this a good start if one wants an overview of the band's best albums but I like better the first Canter Tales. Or better yet start with the original albums from that era as some choices here are disputable.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#21463) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Review by Trotsky
4 stars I know this may sound heretical, but in some ways I don't really think of Caravan as a typical prog rock band. Yes, I know Caravan cut some definitive epics like Where But For Caravan Would I Be?, the whole Can't Be Long Now/Francoise/For Richard/Warlock suite and most particularly Nine Feet Underground, but I'll be damned if I don't love their shorter, whimsical folk/pop stuff every bit as much. Certainly Caravan's gift for melody and lyrics (in other words, these guys really knew how to write a "song") meant that their strengths differed from the other Canterbury groups with whom they are often lumped.

Take Place Of My Own, off the first album Caravan. What a wonderful haunting song, but it's four minutes long, generally adheres to the verse, chorus, verse format and while it does have a memorable Dave Sinclair keyboard solo, there are no complex chord patterns, radical arrangements or time signature/key changes to speak of. And it may just be my favourite Caravan song. And there's the jolly little ditty Hello Hello (off If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You), the ethereal, joyous The World Is Yours and most glaringly Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly) which could have been cut quite convincingly by the glam bands of the time. When I listen to these classic songs I'm amazed that Caravan didn't break into the pop charts in the late 60s/early 70s.

Now getting back to this double CD collection ... its material is culled from Caravan's first six studio albums (1968's Caravan through to 1975' Cunning Stunts) as well as the 1974 live album Caravan & The New Symphonia. It contains most of Caravan's best music during this era, although because there is an effort to give equal representation to most of the albums, some great songs have been left off in place of some weaker ones (I think I'd rate every song on the third album In The Land Of Grey And Pink above the best moments of Cunning Stunts). While the omission of Love Song With A Flute, Where But For Caravan Would I Be?, Winter Wine and Surprise, Surprise is probably just a little too much to take, most of the music here is top notch.

For me, the stars of Caravan were always the bustling underrated organist Dave Sinclair and the even less acknowledged frontman Pye Hastings (I don't mean to disrespect the fine work of bassist Richard Sinclair and stalwart drummer Richard Coughlan by the way). Hastings' withwrawn wisftul personality comes through the music as strongly as Dave Sinclair's strong keyboard work colours it. The dreaminess of pieces like the aching Place Of My Own and And I Wish I were Stoned/Don't Worry seem like an extension of Pye's introverted character, yet there's a fair amount of exuberant playfulness on Love To Love You, Hello Hello, Golf Girl (a Richard Sinclair tune that foreshadows Down On The Farm, the tune he cut on Camel's Breathless album) and The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again. As the only real soloist in the band for its first three albums, Sinclair's chops come to the fore at various moments during And I Wish I Were Stoned, For Richard (which also had some great flute and sax work by Pye's brother Jimmy) and the pulsating 22 minute jazz-rock epic Nine Feet Underground, which is undoubtedly Caravan's deepest stab at prog greatness.

Unfortunately for Caravan, its classic line-up split up after the first three (virtually flawless) albums when Dave Sinclair left to join Robert Wyatt's Matching Mole and was replaced by Delivery's Steve Miller. Even though Dave would return after just one album, he had sparked off a game of musical chairs that saw Richard Sinclair depart for Hatfield And The North, with first John Perry, then (former Curved Air bassist) Mike Wedgwood while multi-instrumentalist Geoffrey Richardson also hopped on board.

Despite the changes the albums that followed Dave Sinclair's departure housed quite a few gems. These include The World Is Yours, which is yet another Caravan song that makes you wanna run in the street pretending its one of those three days a year in England when the sun actually shines, Memory Lain Hugh which sees Caravan actually try some guitar-dominated commercial rock (a la Bad Company and Steve Miller Band) for a while although the group's instincts eventually take over and the song ends in a dreamy flute solo and The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again, which despite featuring Dave on synth for the first time, feels like a return to the earliest days of classic Caravan. Other notable moments are Be All Right/Chance Of A Lifetime and the A Hunting We Will Go suite.

The tracks from the live album also see Caravan in outstanding form although I'm not too sure about some of the arrangements on the earlier part of The Love In Your Eye and including a live version of For Richard (as brilliant as it is) is perhaps questionable when so many other great tracks have been left off. Still there's scarcely a weak moment on this collection although I'm not overly fond of the later rockier material like Headloss and Stuck In A Hole which were indicators that Caravan was headed for less exciting territory after the disappointing Cunning Stunts album (by the time of this release the band sounds like Wings!).

The frustrating thing about this compilation is that it probably had enough room to be an "all you'll ever need from Caravan" kind of release, but despite the numerous brilliant tracks, it still has its flaws. It will leave you wanting more, and any Caravan fan can truthfully vouch for the fact that the band has more to offer. You're better off checking out the full albums, but if you want convincing of Caravan's greatness, this collection will certainly do the trick. (Incidentally one of Asia's most fascinating groups - the 70s political psych/folk outfit from Thailand was also called Caravan). ... 75% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#21464) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 09, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Visitors to Canterbury, start here

An excellent introduction to the music of Caravan from the time of their creative peak (the Deram years, up to and including "Cunning stunts"). All the greats are here, including "For Richard", "Nine feet underground", "If I could do it all over again, I'd do it all over you" and too many others to mention.

There appear to be slightly differing versions of the collection. The cassette version I have includes "Virgin on the ridiculous" from the New Symphonia album, which is replaced on the CD version by "The love in your eye" from the same album.

An essential introduction to the band.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#74694) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Review by fuxi
3 stars This 2-CD set expands the 1976 double LP also entitled CANTERBURY TALES, which used to provide an excellent introduction to Caravan's best material. All the tunes from the original double LP are here, and in addition there's quite a bit of material from the somewhat disappointing CUNNING STUNTS (1974) and from the band's legendary debut album (CARAVAN, 1968). Surprisingly, this double CD offers two different versions of Caravan's beloved mini-epic 'For Richard': the original studio version (featuring some gorgeous playing by Jimmy Hastings) and the live performance from CARAVAN AND THE NEW SYMPHONIA, which isn't half as good as the version from LIVE AT FAIRFIELD HALLS that used to be on the CANTERBURY TALES LP.

I would recommend this collection almost without reservations, were it not for the fact that none of the music has been digitally remastered. If you want a proper introduction to Caravan, it seems a much better idea to listen to their music on Prog Archives, and if you like their style, you can then buy the remasters of their most popular albums, all of which come with highly enjoyable bonus tracks.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#157005) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 29, 2007

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Let me start by saying that while I was an avid prog collector for most of the seventies, I somehow missed this band back then, and this is still the only recording of this band that I own. And secondly, Canterbury has never been a favorite of mine when choosing progressive music.

But here goes:

This collection covers the first six of Caravan's studio albums, released between 1968 and 1975, plus their first live album. The early recordings sound like sixties proto-prog, and are all somewhat light and airy. You can actually hear the band's sound mature through the albums to a more polished style. There are some nice songs here, but to me, the whole affair is just a bit too laid back for my tastes.

The thing I appreciate most about this band is their sense of humor (or is it humour for Brits?) when coming up with song and album titles. I especially like "The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again".

3 stars for me, probably more for true Canterbury fans.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#223243) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 26, 2009

Review by snobb
4 stars Perfect big collection from best period of Caravan activity. Represents almost everything from 1968 to 1975, so you don't need from the band nothing else unless you're heavy Caravan collector.

The band itself if interesting and have many very melodic, pleasant and perfectly played songs. For me, Caravan always was a bit different from real Canterbury sound. I like Khan,Gong and ofter are waiting for almost jazz fusion sound. Caravan is different and in some moments are very folky. Even in long compositions, where jazz influence is more feelable, all sound is not jazzy relaxed, but more folky organised. It doesn't mean that the music is not good enough, just Caravan's sound is always a bit different from usual Canterbury sound.

Any way, this double album represents quite different trends in band's different albums,so you can choose, what you like more. For me in some moments songs sound as pure folk prog, in other there are a bit more improvisational freedom. But because of perfect melodies and strong musicianship, all the album is attractive for listening.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#252331) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 23, 2009

5 stars Excellent for beginners! This compilation contains the best tracks from the first seven albums of the best band's period. Next to the sweet, melody pop songs (but fascinatingly arranged), you'll find long, complicated tracks including enlarged instrumental sections and beautiful, jazzy solos. ... (read more)

Report this review (#21462) | Posted by | Sunday, November 23, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CARAVAN "Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975"