CANTERBURY TALES: THE BEST OF CARAVAN 1968-1975

3. Hello Hello
4. If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You
5. And I Wish I Were Stoned / Don't Worry
6. Can't Be Long Now / Francoise / For Richard / Warlock
7. Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly)
8. Golf Girl

1. Memory Lain, Hugh
2. Headloss
3. Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again, The
4. Be All Right / Chance Of A Lifetime
5. L'Auberge Du Sanglier / Hunting We Shall Go, A / Pengola / Backwards / Hunting We Shall Go (Reprise), A
6. Love In Your Eye, The - (live)
7. For Richard - (live)
8. Stuck In A Hole
9. Lover / No Backstage Pass
10. Show Of Our Lives, The

Search CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 lyrics

Search CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 tabs

Deram

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 Music

In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Universal UK 2011
Show of Our Lives: Caravan at BBC 1968-1975Show of Our Lives: Caravan at BBC 1968-1975
Universal I.S. 2007
Planet D - Caravan At Night 12" W/Lbl US $10.14 Buy It Now 31m 59s
Wes Montgomery - Caravan/Senza Fine (DJ Record) US $1.49 Buy It Now 1h
The Humble Few - Caravan - Yenara Records #198886 US $6.47 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Haji Mike & Dub Caravan - Virtual Oasis NEW CD US $18.63 Buy It Now 1h 23m
PANTERA 'Planet Caravan' Rare Unplayed US CD PROMO ONLY US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Caravan Box Set - 8 SHM Japan CD Mini LP Replica Albums + PROMO BOX US $275.00 [0 bids]
ART BLAKEY / JAZZ MESSENGERS - CARAVAN (180GM) NEW VINYL US $75.63 Buy It Now 1h 58m
BENNY GOODMAN Small Groups - Caravan - LP US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
ARMANDO ROMEO CANTA NAPOLI Caravan Vinyl LP RA33/501 US $9.89 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Caravan- For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night LP US $19.95 Buy It Now 2h 56m
17 RECORDS - 2 BOXED LP RECORD SETS LIVELY YEARS & CARAVAN LP'S MINT CONDTION US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Tzigane Balalaikas Gypsy Strings: Set 1 Caravan CRS-308 US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 36m
JO JONES Caravan Gerry Wiggins Milt Buckner Major Holley Illinois Jacquet LP US $49.97 Buy It Now 3h 58m
THE HOUSEMARTINS . CARAVAN OF LOVE . 1986 . U.K NUMBER 1 HIT US $8.09 [0 bids]
4h
CARAVAN CUNNING STUNTS JAPAN MINI LP CD, SOFT MACHINE US $29.95 Buy It Now 4h 7m
LOT OF 3 ROBIN TROWER LP'S CARAVAN (SEALED) VICTIMS OF FURY LONG MISTY US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 18m
CARAVAN In The Land Of Grey And Pink Live At BBC SEALED PINK LP JAPAN US $22.88 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Caravan 70s POP ROCK PSYCH DJ LP Best Of USA ISSUE US $17.98 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Caravan in the land of grey and pink gate orig london us lp '71 nm folk psych !! US $99.00 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Virtual Oasis by Haji Mike/Dub Caravan (CD, Jul-2010, DubMed) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Caravan by Ralph Marterie (CD, Feb-2007, Montpellier) US $11.99 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Caravan - Live On Air NEW CD US $6.34 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Tex Williams & his West. Caravan "Leaf Of Love/Texas In My Soul" 1946 Capitol 78 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Caravan - The European Tour 2011: Live At Shepards Bush Empire NEW 2 x CD US $9.51 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Caravan Palace - Caravan Palace NEW CD US $17.05 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Johnny All-Stars Hodges - Caravan [CD New] US $9.98 Buy It Now 5h 53m
"Classic Rock" "Caravan" "Plump In The Night" "Rare Lp" US $12.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN - FOR GIRLS WHO GROW PLUMP IN NIGHT NEW CD US $19.37 Buy It Now 6h 29m
Caravan A HUNTING WE SHALL GO: LIVE IN 1974 LP NL 8713748981624 Music On Vinyl n US $19.48 [0 bids]
Caravan CARAVAN CD UK 042288295228 Verve Forecast new US $7.48 [0 bids]
CARAVAN - THAILAND: SONGS FOR LIFE NEW CD US $23.45 Buy It Now 6h 38m
SPIRIT CARAVAN - DREAMWHEEL NEW CD US $13.10 Buy It Now 6h 39m
CARAVAN - LIVE IN CONCERT AT METROPOLIS STUDIOS (+DVD) NEW CD US $23.45 Buy It Now 6h 51m
CARAVAN - LIVE IN CONCERT AT METROPOLIS STUDIOS LONDON NEW CD US $17.89 Buy It Now 7h 2m
BOB CROSBY Collectors LP 1939 Radio Set CAMEL CARAVAN US $19.00 Buy It Now 7h 6m
DANCE CARAVAN SHOW TUNES RECORD MUSIC HOCTOR'S 6-20-80 US $9.99 [0 bids]
VISHWA MOHAN BHATT & GLEN CHARLES HALLS - GROOVE CARAVAN NEW CD US $15.32 Buy It Now 7h 23m
VINTAGE CARAVAN - VOYAGE NEW CD US $21.23 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Caravan - The European Tour 2011: Live At Shepards Bush Empire NEW 2 x CD US $7.27 Buy It Now 7h 24m
DAVE CHAMBERLAIN - CARAVAN NEW CD US $26.41 Buy It Now 7h 28m
CARAVAN - IF I COULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN ID DO IT ALL OVER NEW VINYL US $26.79 Buy It Now 7h 38m
SANDY NELSON-Mint Vinyl PROMO 45-Sandy/Caravan US $7.50 Buy It Now 8h 2m
"Desert Caravan" Oscarlima *NEAR MINT* 2000 CD - Rubber Records US $10.79 Buy It Now 8h 22m
CARAVAN 1975 BTM LP Cunning Stunts in SHRINK WRAP US $15.77 Buy It Now 8h 32m
Rene Touzet & His Rhythm Quartet/Caravan-Mambo en Espana/Fiesta 20-007/E+ & E-% US $12.00 Buy It Now 8h 37m
Caravan to Midnight, Trower, Robin, Good US $25.38 Buy It Now 8h 40m
Pantera Planet Caravan Rare Promo Single Black Sabbath US $7.89 [0 bids]
CARAVAN TOWN OF SHADOWS ??????? ????? ????? MELODIYA WHITE LABEL US $11.99 Buy It Now 9h 53m
OSCARLIMA Desert Caravan CD Aussie Power Pop 2000 US $3.57 Buy It Now 11h 41m
CARAVAN-FOR GIRLS WHO GROW PLUMP IN~-JAPAN PROMO WHITE LABEL+OBI US $97.99 Buy It Now 12h 20m
CARAVAN -CUNNING STUNTS-JAPAN ISSUE+OBI US $59.99 Buy It Now 12h 37m
CARAVAN-FOR GIRLS WHO GROW PLUMP IN~-JAPAN ISSUE+OBI US $59.99 Buy It Now 13h 25m
Caravan - Thailand: Songs For Life CD US $20.43 Buy It Now 13h 32m
CARAVAN & THE NEW SYMPHONIA - CARAVAN & THE NEW SYMPHONIA, 1991 JAPAN CD + OBI US $23.99 Buy It Now 13h 36m
Caravan Palace - Caravan Palace NEW CD US $15.13 Buy It Now 13h 49m
VAN MORRISON - MOONDANCE D/Remaster CD ~ CARAVAN~AND IT STONED ME ~ 70's *NEW* US $12.17 Buy It Now 14h 35m
rare PANTERA PLANET CARAVAN LIVE 1992 1994 TOUR DATES PROMO EASTWEST PRCD-5809 US $15.00 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Kronos Caravan * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $17.22 Buy It Now 14h 52m
Caravan - European Tour 2011 (Live At Shepards Bush Empire 2011) (2xCD ) SEALED US $12.96 Buy It Now 14h 56m
Caravan : The Battle of Hastings CD US $13.38 Buy It Now 15h 11m
GUY CARAVAN THE LAND KNOWS YOU'RE THERE LP STILL SEALED 667 US $10.99 Buy It Now 15h 18m
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In the Night NEW CD US $9.87 Buy It Now 15h 26m
In the Land of Grey & Pink, Caravan, New Import US $22.31 Buy It Now 15h 32m
CARAVAN PALACE - CARAVAN PALACE [CARAVAN PALACE] - NEW CD US $11.88 Buy It Now 15h 53m
Caravan - Wander Around - Japan CD+DVD - NEW J-POP US $17.58 Buy It Now 15h 58m
INSPIRAL CARPETS caravan DUNG 13T near mint disc uk mute 1991 12" PS NM/EX US $14.58 Buy It Now 16h 11m
CARAVAN - PILLAR COVER LP 1st PRESS USA VERVE FORECAST FTS - 3066 (prog,psych) US $399.95 [0 bids]
Shannon Jackson - When Colors Play (Caravan Of Dreams) Lp US $14.99 Buy It Now 16h 33m
Christmas Caravan US $4.00 Buy It Now 16h 38m
Caravan Cool Water 11 Tracks Very Good Condition CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 16h 59m
CARAVAN 2 ALBUMS BOX JAPAN SHM CD US $140.00 Buy It Now 17h 7m
Durso, Joe & Stone Caravan-Durso, Joe & Stone Caravan - Both Sid... CD NEW US $18.75 Buy It Now 17h 33m
Durso, Joe & Stone Caravan-Durso, Joe & Stone Caravan - Cause CD NEW US $16.47 Buy It Now 17h 33m
Durso, Joe & Stone Caravan-Durso, Joe & Stone Caravan - Rock And... CD NEW US $15.99 Buy It Now 17h 33m
Durso, Joe & Stone Caravan-Durso, Joe & Stone Caravan - Best: 19... CD NEW US $15.99 Buy It Now 17h 33m
Coleman, Deborah/Kane, Candy-Blues Caravan: Guitars & Fea CD NEW US $16.26 Buy It Now 17h 33m
FLAMENCO CARAVAN - Love's Philosophy - NEW (sealed) CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 17h 38m
Isley, Jasper & Isley Caravan Of Love & Different Drummer 2-LP's great condition US $22.99 [0 bids]
Mint!!! Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink UIGY-9047 SACD w/OBI US $137.99 Buy It Now 18h 6m
If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd D - Caravan New & Sealed Compact Disc Free S US $21.07 Buy It Now 18h 9m
ISLEY JASPER ISLEY CARAVAN OF LOVE LP FUNK SOUL CBS RECORDS FZ 40118 US $1.98 [0 bids]
Medicine Ball Caravan ALICE COOPER B.B. King Kershaw LP Record Album US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 49m
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All ... japan mini LP SHM CD US $24.99 [0 bids]
Wayne King Orchestra Gypsy Caravan 1961Cheesecake US $12.00 [0 bids]
Steel Guitar INSTRUMENTAL 45 Santo & Johnny "CARAVAN" / "SUMMERTIME" US $9.99 [0 bids]
Isley Jasper Isley LP Caravan of Love CBS 40118 Funk Modern Soul US $3.50 Buy It Now 19h 33m
BENNY GOODMAN AND HIS ORCHESTRA camel caravan broadcasts LP 6 track (jasm2518) u US $8.09 Buy It Now 19h 48m
1972 BLUE KENTUCKY BOY, WILLIE B AND THE DRIFTERS CARAVAN 33 LP US $8.99 Buy It Now 19h 49m
Jazz Keyboard Exotic 45 Johnny Dupont SPECTRUM / CARAVAN WLP Columbia 43762 NM-! US $14.99 Buy It Now 19h 57m
PRETTY PURDIE 45 Funky Donkey / Caravan DATE Soul DISCO #H51 US $20.00 Buy It Now 20h 13m
Inspiral Carpets - Caravan - Japanese Import 3" CD Single Snap Pack US $19.46 Buy It Now 20h 41m
Inspiral Carpets - Caravan - CD Single US $6.08 Buy It Now 20h 41m
Caravan-Blind Dog At St. Dunstans-Orig. Arista White Label Promo LP-1976-PROG US $7.99 Buy It Now 20h 50m
CARAVAN---CUNNING STUNTS US $5.00 [0 bids]
CARAVAN---THE ALBUM US $5.00 [0 bids]
Caravan - Caravan [Remastered] (CD 2002) NEW CD US $9.16 Buy It Now 21h 18m
CARAVAN BETTER BY FAR ex++ / ex+ 1977 UK VINYL LP US $8.11 [0 bids]
Blakey,Art & Jazz Messengers - Caravan 180gm Vinyl/45 RPM [Vinyl New] US $61.98 Buy It Now 21h 39m
Caravan-Caravan - Live In Concert At Metropol... CD NEW US $17.16 Buy It Now 21h 45m
LILIENTHAL.TIN GREY BLACK.STATIC CARAVAN VINYL ALBUM US $12.96 Buy It Now 21h 51m

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 ratings distribution

CARAVAN Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975 reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Unlike the previous compilation this a good start if one wants an overview of the band's best albums but I like better the first Canter Tales. Or better yet start with the original albums from that era as some choices here are disputable.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#21463) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Review by Trotsky
4 stars I know this may sound heretical, but in some ways I don't really think of Caravan as a typical prog rock band. Yes, I know Caravan cut some definitive epics like Where But For Caravan Would I Be?, the whole Can't Be Long Now/Francoise/For Richard/Warlock suite and most particularly Nine Feet Underground, but I'll be damned if I don't love their shorter, whimsical folk/pop stuff every bit as much. Certainly Caravan's gift for melody and lyrics (in other words, these guys really knew how to write a "song") meant that their strengths differed from the other Canterbury groups with whom they are often lumped.

Take Place Of My Own, off the first album Caravan. What a wonderful haunting song, but it's four minutes long, generally adheres to the verse, chorus, verse format and while it does have a memorable Dave Sinclair keyboard solo, there are no complex chord patterns, radical arrangements or time signature/key changes to speak of. And it may just be my favourite Caravan song. And there's the jolly little ditty Hello Hello (off If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You), the ethereal, joyous The World Is Yours and most glaringly Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly) which could have been cut quite convincingly by the glam bands of the time. When I listen to these classic songs I'm amazed that Caravan didn't break into the pop charts in the late 60s/early 70s.

Now getting back to this double CD collection ... its material is culled from Caravan's first six studio albums (1968's Caravan through to 1975' Cunning Stunts) as well as the 1974 live album Caravan & The New Symphonia. It contains most of Caravan's best music during this era, although because there is an effort to give equal representation to most of the albums, some great songs have been left off in place of some weaker ones (I think I'd rate every song on the third album In The Land Of Grey And Pink above the best moments of Cunning Stunts). While the omission of Love Song With A Flute, Where But For Caravan Would I Be?, Winter Wine and Surprise, Surprise is probably just a little too much to take, most of the music here is top notch.

For me, the stars of Caravan were always the bustling underrated organist Dave Sinclair and the even less acknowledged frontman Pye Hastings (I don't mean to disrespect the fine work of bassist Richard Sinclair and stalwart drummer Richard Coughlan by the way). Hastings' withwrawn wisftul personality comes through the music as strongly as Dave Sinclair's strong keyboard work colours it. The dreaminess of pieces like the aching Place Of My Own and And I Wish I were Stoned/Don't Worry seem like an extension of Pye's introverted character, yet there's a fair amount of exuberant playfulness on Love To Love You, Hello Hello, Golf Girl (a Richard Sinclair tune that foreshadows Down On The Farm, the tune he cut on Camel's Breathless album) and The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again. As the only real soloist in the band for its first three albums, Sinclair's chops come to the fore at various moments during And I Wish I Were Stoned, For Richard (which also had some great flute and sax work by Pye's brother Jimmy) and the pulsating 22 minute jazz-rock epic Nine Feet Underground, which is undoubtedly Caravan's deepest stab at prog greatness.

Unfortunately for Caravan, its classic line-up split up after the first three (virtually flawless) albums when Dave Sinclair left to join Robert Wyatt's Matching Mole and was replaced by Delivery's Steve Miller. Even though Dave would return after just one album, he had sparked off a game of musical chairs that saw Richard Sinclair depart for Hatfield And The North, with first John Perry, then (former Curved Air bassist) Mike Wedgwood while multi-instrumentalist Geoffrey Richardson also hopped on board.

Despite the changes the albums that followed Dave Sinclair's departure housed quite a few gems. These include The World Is Yours, which is yet another Caravan song that makes you wanna run in the street pretending its one of those three days a year in England when the sun actually shines, Memory Lain Hugh which sees Caravan actually try some guitar-dominated commercial rock (a la Bad Company and Steve Miller Band) for a while although the group's instincts eventually take over and the song ends in a dreamy flute solo and The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again, which despite featuring Dave on synth for the first time, feels like a return to the earliest days of classic Caravan. Other notable moments are Be All Right/Chance Of A Lifetime and the A Hunting We Will Go suite.

The tracks from the live album also see Caravan in outstanding form although I'm not too sure about some of the arrangements on the earlier part of The Love In Your Eye and including a live version of For Richard (as brilliant as it is) is perhaps questionable when so many other great tracks have been left off. Still there's scarcely a weak moment on this collection although I'm not overly fond of the later rockier material like Headloss and Stuck In A Hole which were indicators that Caravan was headed for less exciting territory after the disappointing Cunning Stunts album (by the time of this release the band sounds like Wings!).

The frustrating thing about this compilation is that it probably had enough room to be an "all you'll ever need from Caravan" kind of release, but despite the numerous brilliant tracks, it still has its flaws. It will leave you wanting more, and any Caravan fan can truthfully vouch for the fact that the band has more to offer. You're better off checking out the full albums, but if you want convincing of Caravan's greatness, this collection will certainly do the trick. (Incidentally one of Asia's most fascinating groups - the 70s political psych/folk outfit from Thailand was also called Caravan). ... 75% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#21464) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 09, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Visitors to Canterbury, start here

An excellent introduction to the music of Caravan from the time of their creative peak (the Deram years, up to and including "Cunning stunts"). All the greats are here, including "For Richard", "Nine feet underground", "If I could do it all over again, I'd do it all over you" and too many others to mention.

There appear to be slightly differing versions of the collection. The cassette version I have includes "Virgin on the ridiculous" from the New Symphonia album, which is replaced on the CD version by "The love in your eye" from the same album.

An essential introduction to the band.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#74694) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Review by fuxi
3 stars This 2-CD set expands the 1976 double LP also entitled CANTERBURY TALES, which used to provide an excellent introduction to Caravan's best material. All the tunes from the original double LP are here, and in addition there's quite a bit of material from the somewhat disappointing CUNNING STUNTS (1974) and from the band's legendary debut album (CARAVAN, 1968). Surprisingly, this double CD offers two different versions of Caravan's beloved mini-epic 'For Richard': the original studio version (featuring some gorgeous playing by Jimmy Hastings) and the live performance from CARAVAN AND THE NEW SYMPHONIA, which isn't half as good as the version from LIVE AT FAIRFIELD HALLS that used to be on the CANTERBURY TALES LP.

I would recommend this collection almost without reservations, were it not for the fact that none of the music has been digitally remastered. If you want a proper introduction to Caravan, it seems a much better idea to listen to their music on Prog Archives, and if you like their style, you can then buy the remasters of their most popular albums, all of which come with highly enjoyable bonus tracks.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#157005) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 29, 2007

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Let me start by saying that while I was an avid prog collector for most of the seventies, I somehow missed this band back then, and this is still the only recording of this band that I own. And secondly, Canterbury has never been a favorite of mine when choosing progressive music.

But here goes:

This collection covers the first six of Caravan's studio albums, released between 1968 and 1975, plus their first live album. The early recordings sound like sixties proto-prog, and are all somewhat light and airy. You can actually hear the band's sound mature through the albums to a more polished style. There are some nice songs here, but to me, the whole affair is just a bit too laid back for my tastes.

The thing I appreciate most about this band is their sense of humor (or is it humour for Brits?) when coming up with song and album titles. I especially like "The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again".

3 stars for me, probably more for true Canterbury fans.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#223243) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 26, 2009

Review by snobb
4 stars Perfect big collection from best period of Caravan activity. Represents almost everything from 1968 to 1975, so you don't need from the band nothing else unless you're heavy Caravan collector.

The band itself if interesting and have many very melodic, pleasant and perfectly played songs. For me, Caravan always was a bit different from real Canterbury sound. I like Khan,Gong and ofter are waiting for almost jazz fusion sound. Caravan is different and in some moments are very folky. Even in long compositions, where jazz influence is more feelable, all sound is not jazzy relaxed, but more folky organised. It doesn't mean that the music is not good enough, just Caravan's sound is always a bit different from usual Canterbury sound.

Any way, this double album represents quite different trends in band's different albums,so you can choose, what you like more. For me in some moments songs sound as pure folk prog, in other there are a bit more improvisational freedom. But because of perfect melodies and strong musicianship, all the album is attractive for listening.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#252331) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 23, 2009

5 stars Excellent for beginners! This compilation contains the best tracks from the first seven albums of the best band's period. Next to the sweet, melody pop songs (but fascinatingly arranged), you'll find long, complicated tracks including enlarged instrumental sections and beautiful, jazzy solos. ... (read more)

Report this review (#21462) | Posted by | Sunday, November 23, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CARAVAN "Canterbury Tales: The Best Of Caravan 1968-1975"