ANGELS AND DEMONS

Cast Angels and Demons album cover

Buy CAST Music
Studio Album, released in 1997

1. Initiation (7:53)
2. We Don't Belong To Heaven (3:08)
3. Reality Or Misanthropy? (Mix-up) (6:31)
4. What We See/The Increasing Sorrow Of The Earth (8:54)
5. Angels And Demons (5:05)
6. Revealing Signs of Love (13:42)
7. Fallen Angel (3:18)
8. Loneliness (10:42)
9. Fire In The Sky, Fire On Earth (5:25)
10. White Lies? / Brief Story Of The Freewill (9:07)

Search CAST Angels and Demons lyrics

Search CAST Angels and Demons tabs

- Dino Brassea / vocals
- Francisco Hernandez Reyes / guitars
- Luis Alfonso Vidales / keyboards
- Antonio Bringas / drums and percussion
- Rodolfo Gonzalez Quiroz / bass

ALF-007 CD

and to Grendelbox for the last updates

CAST MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAST Angels and Demons Music

Fiddler On The Roof Orginal Broadway Cast Chicago Movie Soundtrack US $1.99 [0 bids]
32m 11s
Billy Elliot: The Musical--Original Cast Recording ---2 CDs w/18 Trks US $3.99 [0 bids]
40m 43s
Sarafina--Original Broadway Cast--CD w/23 Trks US $1.99 [0 bids]
40m 44s
SOUNDTRACK: The Deep (soundtrack & cast vinyl LP) Canada US $12.00 Buy It Now 40m 45s
Anything Goes-- Broadway Cast Recording --CD w/18 Trks US $1.99 [0 bids]
Jekyll & Hyde--Original Broadway Cast --CD w/31 Trks US $1.99 [1 bids]
41m 24s
Wickerd--Original Broadway Cast --CD w/19 Trks --NEW US $1.99 [0 bids]
41m 26s
CD The Phantom of the Opera: ORIGINAL CAST Musical Highlights from Stage Play US $7.95 Buy It Now 50m 22s
Original Cast Recording The Apple Tree vinyl LP album record USA KOS3020 US $2.99 [0 bids]
52m 58s
Lucky in the Rain by Original Cast CD Musical Fields US $14.99 Buy It Now 57m 34s
Cast - Dzis Do Ciebie Przjsc Nie Moge - Poland Import - 2 LP's 1 VG 1 VG-(minus) US $9.00 Buy It Now 57m 47s
Cast - Gerard Alessandrinil - Forbidden Broadway - Very nice NM LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 57m 47s
Cast - Hugo & Luigi And George David Weiss - Maggie Flynn - Nice E LP US $7.00 Buy It Now 57m 47s
New Sealed Memphis Original Broadway Cast Soundtrack CD Special Limited Edition US $17.95 [0 bids]
1h
Hamlet 4 LP box set with booklet 1964 Original Cast stereo VG ++ US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
SWEET CHARITY Debbie Allen Broadway Cast LP US $5.84 Buy It Now 1h 9m
The Most Happy Fella (1956 Original Broadway Cast), Loesser, Frank, Most Happy F US $8.55 Buy It Now 1h 11m
SWING ! original Broadway Cast Ann Hampton Callaway Everett Bradley L Benanti VG US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
LP Vinyl Original Broadway Cast " I HAD A BALL " Buddy Hackett Richard Kiley VG+ US $2.25 Buy It Now 1h 13m
The Producers [Original Broadway Cast Recording] by Matthew Broderick US $2.23 Buy It Now 1h 14m
West Side Story [Original Soundtrack Recording] by West Side Story Cast... US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Bye Bye Bride - 1995 - Original Cast CD US $18.04 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Cast Recording : State Fair CD (2001) US $6.39 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Sound of Music Mary Martin Original Broadway Cast LP 1959 Columbia 48557 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
The Fantasticks gatefold LP MGM Records SE-3872-OC 1960 Orig. Cast VG+ US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
West Side Story [Original Soundtrack] Cast Ensemble (CD, 1988, Sony(USA)) NEW US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
SALAD DAYS -(LP)- AN ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING BY D. REYNOLDS & J. SLADE ffrr-1958 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Royal Cast presents Trance Wars by Los Hermano JAPAN B2 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Oliver cd 1991 Studio Cast Lionel Bart US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
STAN FREBERG w/ ORIGINAL CAST,1959 JAZZ VOCAL/comedy,M-! Little Blue Riding Hood US $18.95 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Raul Julia Nine cast LP 12" 12inch vinyl record 3a US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
BIG RIVER The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn CD Broadway Cast Recording US $7.08 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Miss Saigon Japanese Cast Recording 2 CD Boxed Set OOP Out of Print US $38.95 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Chicago - 1981- Australia Cast CD US $45.17 Buy It Now 1h 53m
March Of The Falsettos/ Falsettoland-2 Original Cast CD US $36.13 Buy It Now 2h
Li'l Abner - 1956 Original Musical Cast LP US $18.04 Buy It Now 2h 2m
The Billy Barnes Revue Vinyl LP Stereo DG Original Cast US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
"Peter Pan" RCA PR-136 1962 Origl.Cast Recording EX/EX US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Ghost The Musical Original Cast Recording (CD, 2011) London cast, LN US $8.25 [0 bids]
Mack & Mabel Original Cast Vinyl LP MCA Label MCL1728 US $16.21 Buy It Now 2h 30m
South Pacific - Rodgers and Hammerstein, orig. Broadway cast, Vinyl, LP, OL 4180 US $2.99 [0 bids]
My Life With Albertine-2003 Musical Cast CD US $27.09 Buy It Now 2h 37m
The BEATLES CORGI DIE CAST SCALE MODEL NEWSPAPER TAXI Brand New and In Box US $29.20 [0 bids]
Song of Norway Based on The Life and Music of Edvard Grieg-Original Cast Album US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
GiGI Original Cast Sound Track Album Alan Jay Lerner-Frederick Loewe US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Original Cast Album Lauren Bacall in Applause A New Musical US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Oklahoma! (1964 Studio Cast) Richard Rodgers, Franz Allers, Oklahoma! Pit Orche US $9.60 Buy It Now 2h 45m
I Love You, Madam President (1994 Studio Cast) Lynd, Phyllis Audio CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m
THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS ORIGINAL CAST - MCA RECORDS GATEFOLD LP US $6.50 Buy It Now 2h 48m
SIDE BY SIDE BY SONDHEIM * ORIGINAL LONDON CAST RECORDING (2 RECORD SET) US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 50m
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - LES MIS,RABLES [ORIGINAL LONDON CAST - NEW CD BOXSET US $23.13 Buy It Now 2h 51m
THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE; 1964 COLUMBIA STUDIO CAST MINT- WHITE LABEL PROMO LP US $11.00 Buy It Now 2h 52m
GIRL CRAZY; SEALED STUDIO CAST COLUMBIA LP WITH MARY MARTIN; GERSHWIN SHOW US $11.00 Buy It Now 2h 53m
SPARKLES THE ULTIMATE FAIRY TALE - ORIGINAL CAST - WEB LBL - 1981 LP - SEALED US $14.95 Buy It Now 3h 4m
4x10" LOOK MA, I'M DANCING Original Cast NANCY WALKER Pembroke Davenport 78 rpm US $14.00 Buy It Now 3h 8m
HARVARD UNIVERSITY Right Up Your Alley 1966 CAST LP NM US $59.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
PRINCETON TRIANGLE CLUB After A Fashion 1958 CAST LP NM US $59.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
PRINCETON TRIANGLE CLUB Call A Spade A Shovel 1969 CAST US $199.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
PRINCETON TRIANGLE CLUB Take A Gander 1957 CAST LP VG+ US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
DEF WISH CAST One Destination RARE OZ HIP HOP PROMO CD SINGLE 2012 ORIGINAL US $18.08 Buy It Now 3h 11m
DEF WISH CAST Dun Proppa RARE OZ HIP HOP PROMO CD SINGLE 2011 ORIGINAL US $18.08 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Redhead [An Original Cast Recording] by Original Broadway Cast (CD, Jul-1994 NEW US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 18m
VINCE GUARALDI TRIO Cast Your Fate / JAZZ IMPRESSIONS Black Orpheus RARE MONO US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 45m
FINIAN'S RAINBOW LP LOC1057 Original BROADWAY CAST 1960 R VG/EX C VG+ (LP-5156) US $5.49 Buy It Now 3h 50m
FIORELLO! LP WAO1321 Original BROADWAY CAST MARIE'S LAW R VG/EX C EX- (LP-5157) US $5.49 Buy It Now 3h 50m
THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG LP NBLP 7141 Orig. CAST Album R EX- C VG+ (LP-5173) US $5.49 Buy It Now 3h 50m
FIDDLER ON The ROOF LP BROADWAY CAST SOUNDTRACK LSO1093 R VG- C VG (LP-5090) US $5.49 Buy It Now 3h 51m
The UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN LP 1509 Orig BROADWAY CAST R VG/EX C EX- (LP-5408) US $5.49 Buy It Now 3h 51m
DAMN YANKEES LP LOC-1021 Original CAST STEPHEN DOUGLASS R VG C VG (LP-5153) US $5.49 Buy It Now 3h 51m
FIDDLER ON The ROOF LP LSO-1093 Original BROADWAY CAST R VG- C VG+ (LP-5155) US $5.49 Buy It Now 3h 51m
DESTRY RIDES AGAIN LP DL 9075 Orig. CAST ANDY GRIFFITH R VG- C VG- (LP-5154) US $5.49 Buy It Now 3h 51m
IT'S HOWDY DOODY TIME! cast LP SEALED CUTOUT NOTCH US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Peter Pan: Original Broadway Cast Recording (1954 New York Cast), Charlap, Moose US $1.00 Buy It Now 4h
West Side Story-1985-Highlights-Kiri Te Kanawa-Cast CD US $18.04 Buy It Now 4h 2m
The King And I Motion Picture Sound Track Original Cast , OST LP US $3.99 [0 bids]
Tango Argentino LP Claudio Segovia Original Cast US $12.95 Buy It Now 4h 18m
CARMEN JONES 1955 VG++ DECCA 9021 ORIGINAL CAST LP BASED ON BIZET'S OPERA CARMEN US $11.00 Buy It Now 4h 19m
DAVID MERRICK'S 42ND STREET ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST RECORDING RCA 3891 GF NM US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 23m
DEF WISH CAST Evolution Machine OZ HIP HOP CD 2012 ORIGINAL - LIKE NEW US $18.08 Buy It Now 4h 56m
"PHANTOM OF THE OPERA" Andrew Lloyd Webber OCR / SHRINK 2-LP London Cast NM US $59.95 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Stan Freberg WITH THE ORIGINAL CAST/BEST OF 2 LPs Cap. 1242/2020 Re-issues NM US $19.95 Buy It Now 5h 25m
CAST A GIANT SHADOW Elmer Bernstein UA STEREO LP NM US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 29m
The Cast - The Winnowing - 1995 CD US $11.34 [0 bids]
The Life [Original Broadway Cast] by Original Cast (CD, Jun-1997, Sony Music) US $4.25 [0 bids]
Fiddler On the Roof- cast recording- Zero Mostel- new/sealed 8 Track- Canada US $6.00 Buy It Now 6h 15m
South Pacific with Original Broadway Cast US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
Glee Cast - Vol. 5-Music CD US $18.00 Buy It Now 6h 29m
Original Broadway Cast Recording - Hands On A Hard Body CD US $19.72 Buy It Now 6h 32m
Forbidden Broadway Strikes Back!: Another Unoriginal Cast Recording, Volume 4 ( US $4.48 Buy It Now 6h 54m
800 LP RECORD THE KING AND I ORIGINAL CAST ALBUM DECCA DL 79008 US $5.96 Buy It Now 6h 58m
After The Fair (1999 Off-Broadway Cast) by Cole, Stephen, Ward, Matthew US $10.91 Buy It Now 7h 16m
ORIGINAL LONDON CAST The Rocky Horror Show JAPAN MW2142 US $22.50 Buy It Now 7h 19m
Hank Williams - Lost Highway Cast Recording CD 2003 USA 25trk US $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 23m
Rodgers & Hammerstein THE KING and I Broadway Cast Recording CD SIGNED Lou Diam US $79.99 Buy It Now 7h 40m
Batillus Mutilation Rites - Cast Goliath 7-Inch Single Vinyl Record US $10.24 Buy It Now 7h 45m
Hey, Love: The Songs of Mary Rodgers [Original Cast Recording] by Original Cast US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h 49m
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA 2CD (Original London Cast) US $13.57 Buy It Now 7h 49m
Sunset Boulevard-1993-Glenn Close-Amerian Cast-2 CD US $36.13 Buy It Now 7h 49m

More places to buy CAST music online Buy CAST & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAST DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAST Angels and Demons ratings distribution

CAST Angels and Demons reviews

Review by Greger
4 stars This album don't have the same strength as their previous album "Beyond Reality", that was a true masterpiece. Strangely the vocals haven't got the same brilliance as on "Beyond Reality", or at least I think so. I also think that the production was slightly better on that album. But don't be fooled by the criticism, "Angels and Demons" are a close second. They are still one of the better neo-prog bands around and really deserves to make it big. This album contains a lot of instrumental passages with keyboards dueling with intricate guitars and drums. I'm astounded by the technical skills of CAST. Not many neo-prog groups reaches this level, especially to Alfonso Vidales keyboard playing. Just listen to "White Lies? / Brief Story Of The Freewill" and you know what I mean. The album also got a fantastic cover, equal to the cover of "Beyond Reality". Best track: "Revealing Signs Of Love". If you've never heard CAST before, go buy "Beyond Reality" or "Angels And Demons", and I think you'll soon buy the others too. The future belongs to CAST.

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#1952) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Review by lor68
4 stars Remarkable album, even though not completely original and with some repetitive parts within some music passages. After this issue they began performing similar themes and being involved with some excesses during their long solos!! Recommended!!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#1953) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 01, 2004

Review by Gatot
4 stars I had a unique experience with the band that I only knew it sometime in 1998, after they had existed many years before. It was my prog gurus: Andy Julias, Bowo and Suryorimba who informed me about how great the band was. I did not argue with them as I knew how good their opinions were; and I ordered about 10 albums of the band and 2 solo projects of the keyboardist and guitarist (it's a great solo album!). When my CDs arrived, "Angels and Demons" blew me! I understand why my friends acknowledge this band. I even purchased the BAJA PROG CD that caught CAST live performance. The early albums of the band were not all excellent. (There was a funny experience happened to my friend who chased the album of CAST in my country and he got the wrong CD which was a group of the same name but from UK - in the vein of pop music..... LOL).

The real strengths of this Mexican (not UK) band are on: 1.) their complex and tight music composition, and 2.) the musicianship of Luis Alfonso Vidales (keyboards), Francisco Hernandez Reyes (guitars) and Antonio Bringas (oops ..!! In my language this means "wild" . which serves to be right if I associate this with his dynamic drumming in "Initiation". Great work, Mr. Bringas!). The album presents a much more complex arrangements and heavier if compared to any other neo progressive band (I believe that this band has been pigeon holed as neo band. I actually disagree with this because, I think, most of their music is complex and heavy in nature).

The band dares to open the album with a relatively long instrumental piece with shuffling drums: "Initiation". This track is relatively complex and it has varieties of shifting tempos, dynamic melodies with howling keyboard sound. Yes, it's a keyboard- based track but I admire how Antonio Bringas plays his drums and percussion sets. For those of you who never heard of this band might be surprised with the overall quality of this track. Dynamic and marvelous! Especially if you play it LOUDly ..

"We Don't Belong To Heaven" is a relatively mellow track with a nice keyboard intro accompanied by a howling guitar (Hackettian). Good melody with no drumming. This track is well positioned to welcome next beautifully crafted and energetic track: "Reality Or Misanthropy?". For me personally, this track is a masterpiece. It has a fascinating and speedy keyboard play with great melody on its vocal line. The interlude keyboard solo coupled with dazzling drumming and guitar fills work well in a perfect harmony. The melody of this track is really deep, touchy and memorable. This track BLOWS me! (The other Mexican version of this track under "Laguna de Volcanes" double CD compilation is even better. It has flute in the interlude). This is the kind of music that any band who plays in the vein of GENESIS should look like.

The title track "Angels And Demons" is an instrumental piece heavily influenced by classical music. This track is merely used to demonstrate how powerful the keyboard player is. I guess. It's too dominant really. "Revealing Signs of Love" is a long track with beautiful melody and excellent keyboard and piano plays combined with guitar fills. The piano reaches its highest at minutes 6:57 and they keyboard's nicest play is at minute 10:31. What an amazing music these guys have made!! For me personally, from minute 10:31 onwards is the part that creates great climax for this track.

"White Lies? / Brief Story Of The Freewill" is my all-time favorite. It has melodic vocal at opening section with excellent howling guitar, accentuated by TULL-like flute sound and dynamic bass lines. What a great opening! The structure of this track is unusual as it has vocal at the opening part but the rest and longer part of the track is purely an instrumental piece with shifting tempos and powerful articulation of multi instruments: keyboard, piano, flute. The Hackettian guitar play at interlude is really nice when it is combined with piano and dazzling bass. No one would argue that this track is a masterpiece and the best composition that CAST has ever produced! I have a habit of repeating this track 3 or 4 times. It's very enjoyable and very uplifting. Unfortunately, the sonic quality of the CD is not excellent.

The downsides of this album are: 1. Poor production quality. It happens to almost all of CAST albums (I have 10 albums of CAST with same poor quality). Even, I purchased the "Laguna de Volcanes" in CDR format (but, it's original! Because I purchased it direct from the band couple years ago). It's a pity, such a great music is not well supported by proper packaging. 2. Almost all compositions in this album are excellent. BUT it's very boring since there is too much keyboard sound here and there in almost similar (or even the same) style. In the middle of the disc you will find that the nice keyboard play is becoming a boring stuff because the keyboard player is overdoing it. He's kind like "abusing" his skills to dominate the music. Nothing wrong, isn't it? But .. it's damn boring, my friend. He should let the Hackettian guitarist plays more roles in melody and solo during interlude. Bring down your "ego" Mr. Poncho ..

To conclude my review: I give 5 star rating for musicianship, composition and performance. However, due to poor production and packaging and boring musical stuff, I give an overall of 4.45 star. I think it's fair enough. - Gatot Widayanto, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#1955) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Review by chessman
4 stars I only discovered this band last year, through this website, and, having downloaded the free mp3 track from this album, I was impressed enough to try the album. You wouldn't expect this type of music to come from Mexico really, but this album is a nice surprise. Firstly, the weak point is probably the vocals. They sing in English, but their English isn't as good as Swedish or Dutch bands, and they can sound quite weak at times. However, I am not one to moan about this, as my knowledge of other languages is non-existent, and I admire any band that can translate their own words into another tongue. Having said that, the vocals are not really bad either, and have a certain charm of their own. Musically, this band is very powerful. I had heard that they were Genesis clones, but, although their influence is clear, this band have their own style as well. Their guitar is reminiscent of Mr Hackett, and the occasional keyboard flourish has a Banksian feel to it, but the similarities end there. Vidales, the keyboard player, is something else, and has an exceptional talent. I suspect he leads the band really. The opener, 'Initiation', shows his skills off wonderfully. It is an instrumental, and demonstrates the band's ability immediately. Bass and drums are busy and very profficient and the band shows it is a tight knit unit. The album has a story running through it, the age old tousle between, well, Angels And Demons! Old fare, but well presented here. Second track, 'We Don't Belong To Heaven' is quieter, almost dreamlike, but very melodic. 'Reality Or Misanthropy' ups the tempo again, and to great effect. 'What We See' continues in this vein, and is followed by another nice instrumental, 'Angels And Demons'. 'Revealing Signs Of Love' is the longest track on the album, and the listener's interest is not allowed to flag. 'Fallen Angel' is yet another instrumental, but is probably my least favourite. Not that it is bad in any way, and it fits in nicely with the rest of the tracks. 'Loneliness' has some nice tempo changes, and, again, wonderful keyboard work. 'Fire In The Sky, Fire On Earth' is, (have you guessed it?) another instrumental!!! Finally, 'White Lies/Brief Story Of Freewill' ends the record in a superb way, with more tempo changes, and excellent guitar work. Throughout the album, the guitar takes second place to the keyboards, but Reyes himself is no slouch on the six strings, and plays in a controlled, atmospheric way. I would heartily recommend this album to anyone who likes good keyboard work, in the style of Tony Banks, circa 75-76. A surprising success this, but an album I have played a lot.

Send comments to chessman (BETA) | Report this review (#1957) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars Cast sixth album will prolonged the experience of releasing complex music by good musicians. I have always felt though that their songwritting was a bit "short" except for "Third Call".

The opener is fully ELP oriented. High technicity and heavy keys of course. But although the music is well executed it lacks in passion to my taste. Consistency is also not their strenght : I can identify at least three themes in this opener; but no smooth linking nor transitions. Just good but uninspired music played by skilled musicians.

When you listen to "We Don´t Belong To Heaven" and "Revealing Signs Of Love" PFM influence comes immediately to my mind (but it was already true on a previous album).

Genesis being around here for "Reality" and "What We See". Very little originality so far. Nice music to hear while you are doing something else because when you really concentrate on it (like I am doing for this review) it not really appealing. The finale of "What We See" is also weird. It ends as if it were a demo track : cut off abruptedly (this was also the case in some earlier releases).

The title track is one of the highlight on this album. Great virtuosity on the piano. Again, ELP could not be closer (which is far from annoying me). "Revealing Signs Of Love" is the longest and most elaborate track. It contains very nice intrumental breaks (the last one being very much "Cinema Show" like).

After "Fallen Angel" which is a poor instrumental number (but Cast plays a lot of insturmental music, which again is usually not a problem for me) we'll get "Loneliness" which is a very good moment of this album. Very much keys oriented but some guitar breaks here and there add a nice touch. This song though is a bit too long to be interesting throughout its lenght.

I have the same feeling for the whole of this album : too lenghty and monotonous. Again, Cast will almost always release very long CD's (even several double ones). It reminds a bit some of TFK ones which would have gained if a bit cut down.

As usual, Cast influences are ELP, Genesis (76-77 while they were four) and PFM. If you like these bands (and I do), you would not dislike Cast. Maybe that they should have opted for Spanish lyrics to sound more original, but I am not sure it would have helped (anyway, they will do so some years later).

Cast albums seem to be endless. I know that I made this comment already for Cast (as I did for TFK and Mostly Autumn) but since they seem to persevere in this direction (and the story is not over yet) I can only repeat my feeling. Three stars (but five out of ten if I did not have these strong links with Mexico).

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#122273) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 15, 2007

3 stars CAST have been quite prolific since their debut album in 1994, releasing something like 16 studio albums during that time.They have to be the most well known Mexican Symphonic Prog band. I know they had a hand in the Baja Prog festival as well as playing in it numerous times.These guys are good, I was quite impressed instrumentally especially when they let loose.This particular album is a little long at around 74 minutes, in fact cut it to 50 minutes of the best material here and I give it 4 stars.

"Imitation" has a temendous drum intro before everyone else joins in as we get this impressive instrumental display. "We Don't Belong To Heaven" is a short keyboard and vocal led track. "Reality Or Misanthropy ? (Mixup)" sounds good with the guitar soloing in the background as the vocals lead with keys,bass and drums. An intense instrumental section takes over around 3 1/2 minutes.The vocals are back before 6 minutes. "What We See / The Increasing Sorrow Of The Earth" puts the focus on the vocals early and the tempo picks up before 3 minutes but it does shift often here. A classical flavour before 6 minutes. "Angels And Demons" opens with piano and there is a classical flavour on this one too.

"Revealing Signs Of Love" is a vocal track. Synths do solo after 2 1/2 minutes followed by guitar. A great sound after 6 1/2 minutes as we get another intense instrumental display to the end. "Fallen Angel" features piano and drums that standout.Synths join in but there are lots of sounds here in this Classical sounding tune. "Loneliness" opens with piano,vocals and guitar. Good sound. A calm with piano after 3 1/2 minutes but then everyone joins in. Some Oldfield-like guitar follows. "Fire In The Sky Fire In The Earth" opens with piano and classical vibe. Aboe too. A beautiful instrumental. "White Lies? Brief Story Of Freewill" reminds me of Phideaux vocally.Vocals stop and drums take over. Back to the original soundscape 2 minutes in with vocals. An excellent instrumental section follows to the end. So good.

3.5 stars for this one.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#392984) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Review by b_olariu
4 stars The worthy follow up of previous album Beyond reality is the 1997 release Angels and demons. I quite like a lot this band, with rich sound , complex arrangements and perfect musicianship makes, at least for me, Cast atruly great band that needs a far mor exposure to the public. Angels and demons keeps the symphonic prog tradition of previous album, with some simply amazing instrumental sections and instrumental pieces aswell. The opening track again an instrumental one Initiation is a true gem of a piece. Symphinic/neo prog like in old good time, vintage sound, nice , smooth and virtuosic passges where the keybords are the main attraction. The album goes in this direction with no weak moments, only top notch performance. The highlight besides opening track is Revealing Signs of Love, 13 min of sheer beauty. 4 stars again, simply said I like a lot Cast, is not only one of the front prog rock bands from Mexico but can be considerate one of the great symphonic prog bands world wide, with each album they become better and better. I can only recommend Cast music and for sure I will buy more albums from their catalogue because I was simply pleasent surprised by their music.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#703964) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 02, 2012

3 stars Amazing cover, it really demonstrates the name of the album. 1/Initiation - very complex instrumental song lead by keyboards. Excellent, but maybe a little bit long. 2/We Don't Belong To Heaven - very haunted chord progression, vocals are good, overall it's nice song without doubt. 3/Re ... (read more)

Report this review (#246248) | Posted by Rashly | Sunday, October 25, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Sorry, i like Cast but i don´t like this album. I love the previous studio album (Beyond Reality) but i couldn´t avoid to feel disappointed when i heard this one. Fortunately the band created much better albums later, but no one like BR. Anyway, i say the same what i told you about BR: at l ... (read more)

Report this review (#42975) | Posted by incubus | Monday, August 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars this alblum is awesome for staters this is the best keyboard oriented alblum alfonso vidales reigns here the instrumental pieces are what dazzle me the most especialy the instru title trackclocking in at 5minutes and 5 seconds and the mini epic revaeling signs of love is the highlight of this ... (read more)

Report this review (#1956) | Posted by | Thursday, August 19, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAST "Angels and Demons"