IN THE SPIRIT OF THINGS

Studio Album, released in 1988

1. Ghosts (4:18)
2. One Big Sky (5:17)
3. Inside Of Me (4:42)
4. One Man, One Heart (4:20)
5. House On Fire (4:42)
6. Once In A Lifetime (4:14)
7. Stand Beside Me (3:28)
8. I Counted On Love (3:33)
9. The Preacher (4:18)
10. Rainmaker (6:44)
11. T.O. Witcher. (1:39)
12. Bells Of Saint James (5:39)

Search KANSAS In The Spirit Of Things lyrics

Search KANSAS In The Spirit Of Things tabs

- Phil Ehart / drums
- Billy Greer / bass, backing vocals
- Steve Morse / guitar, backing vocals
- Steve Walsh / lead vocals, keyboards
- Rich Williams / acoustic & electric guitars
+ Terry Brock / backing vocals (4)
- Stephen Croes / Synclavier
- Bob Ezrin / percussion, vielle ? roue, backing vocals
- Ricky Keller / percussion program (2), keyboard program (4)
- John Pierce / fretless bass (7)
- Greg Robert / programming, backing vocals
- Christopher Yavelow / Kurzweil
+ Reverand James Cleveland & The Southern California Community Choir backing vocals (2-9-10)

Cd. Pioneer 25PZ 2162

and to Snow Dog for the last updates

KANSAS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KANSAS In The Spirit Of Things Music

Song for AmericaSong for America
Remastered
MasqueMasque
Sbme Special Mkts. 2008
Kansas (Expanded Edition)Kansas (Expanded Edition)
Remastered
Sbme Special Mkts. 2002
Audio VisionsAudio Visions
Dust in WindDust in Wind
Double Pleasure 2005
2CDs Verve Nicholas Payton Gumbo Nouveau/Kansas City OST James Carter Don Byron US $3.99 [0 bids]
48m 8s
kansas Masque Japan CD w/obi SRCS-6295 US $22.99 Buy It Now 49m 55s
DINK - WELCOME TO THA SHOW KANSAS CITY US $7.98 Buy It Now 1h 11m
KANSAS POINT OF NO RETURN AL 34929 VINYL LP 1977 ORIG SHRINK GREAT COND! VG++!! US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
record/Vinyl/ Kansas Left overture US $14.99 [0 bids]
Kansas Two For The Show Double 12" Gatefold Vinyl US $0.99 [0 bids]
Court Dog - The Kansas City Chief (DBR-2002) - Bizzy Bone - RARE US $5.99 [1 bids]
KANSAS / AUDIO-VISIONS LP w/Insert Orig JAPAN ISSUE US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Sneaky Sound System 2 CD ft Kansas City & 16 - Like New US $13.29 Buy It Now 3h 20m
KANSAS Vinyl Confessions JAPAN MADE LIMITED BLU SPEC MINI LP CD NEW EICP-20080 US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
STEVE WALSH Solo LP KANSAS Singer 1979 Funny w GUNS Cvr US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 33m
HERMANS HERMITS, DANDY / KANSAS CITY 7"x45rpm SINGLE RECORD US $4.43 Buy It Now 3h 49m
7"-Single LES HUMPHRIES SINGERS - Kansas City (1974) + JOHN LAWTON / URIAH HEEP US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Jelly Roll Morton : Kansas City Stomp: The Library of Congress Recordings, Vol. US $14.16 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Kansas (180Gv) VINYL Limited Edition US $28.49 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Kansas: Masque (180Gv) VINYL Limited Edition US $28.49 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Kansas - In The Spirit Of Things CD US $10.05 Buy It Now 5h 16m
KANSAS - 'POWER' (1986) MCA (MINT) UK - VERY RARE! US $1.62 [1 bids]
KANSAS Song For America LP VG/nMINT UK 1975 Epic 1st Press A1/B1 US $14.68 Buy It Now 6h 2m
JACK PARNELL 50's Sheet music KANSAS CITY US $22.86 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Kansas - Leftoverture CD SONY US $43.71 Buy It Now 6h 15m
Kansas - Sail On-30th Anniversary Collection1974-2004 CD US $43.55 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Kansas - Triple Feature CD US $15.15 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Kansas - Original Album Classics CD US $28.45 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Gmwa Choir - Live In Kansas City 2004 CD US $11.81 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Two for the Show by Kansas (CD, Oct-1989, Kirshner Records) US $1.99 [0 bids]
FREAKS OF NATURE by KANSAS {CD, 1995, INTERSOUND} ORIGINAL PRESSING! US $7.99 [0 bids]
LIVE AT THE WHISKY by KANSAS {CD, 1992, INTERSOUND} US $4.99 [0 bids]
lot 18 cassettes Rock Many Aritists Aerosmith Duran Plant Police Miller Kansas US $3.99 [0 bids]
T*Shirt Decca / Museum 1996 Kansas Indie Rock 7" Priapus Records NM US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 13m
The Yard Apes Neurosis 1994 Kansas City Alt-Rock 7" Y-Tel Records US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 13m
STREETS - CRIMES IN MIND - 1985 - STEVE WALSH (EX KANSAS KEYBOARDIST) PROMO US $14.50 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Kansas Leftoverture CD [Remastered/Expanded/+2] *SEALED US Ver 2001 Steve Walsh US $39.95 Buy It Now 7h 20m
Kansas Audio Visions LP KIrshner Stereo US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 42m
Earl Scruggs - Live At Kansas State LP banjo bluegrass US $10.61 Buy It Now 7h 47m
KANSAS MASQUE LP RECORD VG++ US $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Kansas Box Set 2 CDs (CD, Jul-1994, 2 Discs, Legacy) US $7.99 [0 bids]
Rare Country Blues 45: Tony G Marco ~ Kansas City on Purple Vinyl ~ Red Hill 211 US $25.00 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Kansas Got To Rock On b/w No Room For A Stranger Kirshner #ZS6 4292 45rpm Record US $6.99 Buy It Now 8h 21m
Kansas Song For America b/w Lonely wind on Kirshner #ZS8 4280 45-rpm Record US $6.99 Buy It Now 8h 21m
Kansas Hold On b/w Don't Open Your Eyes On Kirshner #ZS9 4291 45-rpm Record US $6.99 Buy It Now 8h 21m
Kansas Right Away Promo on Kirshner #ZS5 03084, White Label Promo 45-rpm Record US $6.99 Buy It Now 8h 21m
Steve Wariner Kansas City Lights b/w The Easy Part's Over on RCA 45-rpm Record US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
KANSAS TY JAZZ ART SMITH "12th st USA" CAVERN CUSTOM REC VG++ US $5.00 [1 bids]
KANSAS - POWER 12" LP MCA RECORDS 1986 NR MINT CONDITION US $9.80 [0 bids]
KANSAS---MASQUE----1975 KIRSHNER 33806---VG+ US $1.49 [0 bids]
KANSAS AUDIO- VISIONS ORIGINAL INNER SLEEVE LP 510 US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 16m
Early Recordings from Kansas 1971-1973 by Proto-Kaw (CD, Oct-2002, Cuneiform... US $14.35 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Best Of Kansas by Kansas (CD, Oct-1984, Cbs Assoc.) US $2.49 Buy It Now 9h 21m
Kansas Kerry Livgren AD TIMELINE LP Album VG+ CBS-39368 US $7.99 [0 bids]
TIME LIFE Sound of the Seventies 1978, Clapton, Queen, Kansas, Bee Gees, O'Jays US $8.00 [0 bids]
lot Kansas Leftoverture Point of Know Return 12" vinyl LP 7" Dust Wind US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 43m
Kansas Two For the Show 2x LP G/F 12" vinyl LP '78 Kirshner rock US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 43m
Kansas Masque 12" vinyl LP '75 Kirshner FC art "Water" giuseppe arcimboldo rock US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 43m
JERRY MERRITT AND THE CROWS tulsa 7" 4 track b/w l.a., the kansas city twist and US $8.15 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Bennie Moten's Kansas City Orchestra - Moten's Blues Volume 3 (1929) LP JAZZ NM US $19.90 Buy It Now 9h 54m
Wilbert Harrison Kansas City Original 1st pressing! VG++ MONO Copy US $165.00 Buy It Now 10h
KANSAS-SONG FOR AMERICA KIRSHNER PZ 33385 VG+/VG LP US $6.98 Buy It Now 10h 3m
THE FAIRER SEX-Two Can Win-LAWRENCE KS/Kansas/POP ROCK US $8.49 Buy It Now 10h 23m
Kansas by Kansas US $10.49 Buy It Now 10h 42m
Kansas-Point of know return- Record 33 LP US $6.00 [0 bids]
11h
BENNIE MOTEN Bennie Moten's Kansas City Orchestra 1923-1925 LP US $18.78 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Songs Of America Kansas1975 Kirshner Record vg++ 1 owner Private Collection US $16.80 Buy It Now 11h 10m
Point Of Know Return Kansas1977 Kirshner Record vg++ 1 owner Private Collection US $16.80 Buy It Now 11h 10m
Little Richard (7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Kansas City / She Knows How To Rock-UK-Ex/VG US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 25m
Trini Lopez(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Lonesome Traveller / Kansas City-UK-Ex/VG+ US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 25m
KANSAS STAY OUT OF TROUBLE KIRSHNER 45 US $3.00 Buy It Now 11h 27m
KANSAS TWO FOR THE SHOW 2 RECORD SET VG LP VG COVER 308 US $0.99 [0 bids]
KANSAS LEFTOVERTURE RECORD ALBUM VG COVER VG 109 US $0.99 [0 bids]
KANSAS POINT OF KNOW RETURN RECORD ALBUM VG COVER VG 109 US $0.99 [0 bids]
James Brown 45 - Kansas City / Stone Fox VG on King label US $0.01 [0 bids]
Kansas "Two For The Show" Original Double LP US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 54m
Kansas Leftoverture Carry On Wayward Son original 1976 vinyl LP NEAR MINT NM US $7.99 [0 bids]
KANSAS Device, Voice, Drum 2 CD SET US $3.15 [3 bids]
KANSAS - AUDIO-VISIONS US $8.99 [0 bids]
12h
* KANSAS - Box Set [No Box] (CD, Jul-1994, 2 Discs, Legacy) US $7.99 Buy It Now 12h 8m
KANSAS - VINYL CONFESSIONS US $8.99 [0 bids]
KANSAS - SONG FOR AMERICA 1975 VINYL LP w/ Lyric sleeve Prog. Rock AOR US $3.99 Buy It Now 12h 15m
KANSAS Point of Know Return [Bonus Tracks] [Remaster] CD US $3.25 [3 bids]
Four Kansas Vinyl LPs - Leftoverture, Point of Know Return, Song For America US $25.00 Buy It Now 12h 33m
Live at Max's Kansas City -Velvet Underground (LOU REED) NEW SEALED CD Cotillion US $9.98 Buy It Now 12h 35m
KANSAS MONOLITH KIRSHNER 1979 US $5.99 Buy It Now 12h 37m
KANSAS "Monolith" 8-TRACK Tape @ 1979 Classic HARD ROCK US $6.99 Buy It Now 12h 40m
Steve Morse Band "Coast To Coast" CD Deep Purple Dixie Dregs Kansas US $3.03 [2 bids]
Wizards From Kansas - Wizards From Kansas NEW CD US $18.76 Buy It Now 12h 44m
Classic Rock! - 12 LPS various - Lou Reed, Beach Boys, Kansas.. US $12.99 Buy It Now 12h 44m
Proto Kaw - Early Recordings From Kansas 1971-73 [CD New] US $15.94 Buy It Now 12h 46m
Kansas City Chorale - Fern Hill (American Choral) [CD New] US $16.28 Buy It Now 12h 47m
Down To The Wire Music Technology Program (CD, 2000 Kansas City College) US $1.29 [0 bids]
Private Issue Gatefold Lp 1981 WATERMARK Straight For The Heart KANSAS Cty Clean US $15.00 Buy It Now 12h 58m
CHUCK WILLIS-It's Too Late/Kansas City Woman-R&B Classic EX 78rpm Record US $21.99 Buy It Now 13h 2m
NEAR MINT Leftoverture KANSAS Kirshner PZ-34224 CARRY ON WAYWARD SON VINYL LP US $8.95 [1 bids]
STUNNING MINT KANSAS POINT OF KNOW RETURN ORIGINAL VINYL LP DUST IN THE WIND US $8.95 [0 bids]
ZEEM - NO COKE IN MY REMY 1999 TOPEKA KANSAS MEGA RARE GFUNK US $99.99 [0 bids]
VARIOUS Super Rock Session LP Kansas Ram Jam Aerosmith Birth Control, The GUN US $16.31 Buy It Now 13h 21m
Reginald Buckner, New Tides in music,Kansas City Pianist - Organist, Sound 80, US $65.00 Buy It Now 13h 26m
BUCK CLAYTON & BUDDY TATE Kansas City Nights SIGNED 2 LP autographed US $39.97 Buy It Now 13h 26m
AD-Compact Favorites CD FREE SHIPPING Kerry Livgren/Kansas (Brand New-Sealed) US $15.85 Buy It Now 13h 30m
Lester Young & Kansas City Seven- "Prez" Leaps Again- new/sealed 8 Track tape US $4.50 Buy It Now 13h 31m
Carson J. Robison, The Kansas Jayhawl, 1987 Cattle Records Mono LP 107 Germany US $31.50 Buy It Now 13h 34m

More places to buy KANSAS music online Buy KANSAS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KANSAS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KANSAS In The Spirit Of Things ratings distribution

KANSAS In The Spirit Of Things reviews

Review by daveconn
2 stars I've been listening to mediocre music all morning, so why stop now? Not that "In The Spirit of Things" had a ghost of a chance of finding me charitably disposed toward histrionical hair metal anyway. I don't think producer BOB EZRIN knew what he was getting into with KANSAS. Whatever artistic credibility they might have once laid claim to had long since departed this world, leaving behind a band desperate to make another big record. That's where EZRIN comes in: he makes "big" concept records with a flair for melodrama. And that's fine when the artist you're working with isn't too eager to oblige (PINK FLOYD, LOU REED). But when BOB's given free reign (e.g., this pretentious piece of plastic, ALICE COOPER Goes To Hell), the results can be deadly. Apparently, he managed to convince KANSAS that a collaboration would yield a big statement, something about the end of the world in a small town. They didn't even need to write all the material, just feign integrity and make a lot of noise. It's not a matter of "In The Spirit of Things" being a bad record, it's actually offensive. There are musicians who genuinely care about their music (seems to me KANSAS used to be one of them), and all this sacless strutting through '80s metal ("House On Fire") and put-upon sincerity ("Ghosts", "Once In A Lifetime") is an awful flimsy excuse to engage five otherwise talented musicians. Any number of faceless bands could have made this record, but the alarming thing is I don't even think you need musicians to make this kind of music. Just punch up the right buttons, splice in some electric guitar squalls, blend some human voices into a faceless composite, and distract your audience with the pretense of a story that might contain characters you care about. In a better mood, I'd point out that "I Counted On Love" is a fine arena rock ballad. That's one good song, in case you're counting, and it didn't even show up on the elpee and cassette releases (four tracks were "added" to the compact disc, which I guess is the only way to get the whole story). Anyway, I'm going to wash this miserable experience from my memory with some Yes (last time I listened to this disc, RUSH did the trick) and bury it (case and all) in the backyard before the ground freezes.

Send comments to daveconn (BETA) | Report this review (#21906) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 01, 2004

Review by lor68
3 stars This album is equal to "A Stationary Traveller" by Camel, in the sense that both their works represent the turning point of the career, in the direction of the AOR music; but of course if I compare the light works by Camel to the present unique style by Kansas, there are a few differences. First of all the American "pomp" sound (listen also to other bands like Styx, Prophet, Enchant and so on. ) is not perfectly fitted into the style of Latimer &C.; secondly the exigencies of the US market in the eighties were quite different.coming back to the present issue, I'm not so excited about this AOR genre (I think of the best albums by Toto, being better within this genre), nevertheless I recognize interesting features within, above all in the track "Rainmaker" and in its short instrumental section as well.at the end I prefer the progressive period of Kansas (listen to "Leftoverture" for instance), in the place of this AOR style, which is not bad anyway!!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#46417) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 12, 2005

Review by Gatot
3 stars I tended to reject this album the first time it was released. It's not because of there were no Kery Livgren (guitar, songwriter) and Robby Steinhardt (violin) but it's more on different kind of sound I was hearing the first time I spun the CD. Take example the opening part of album opener "Ghosts". From first shot only I was a bit disappointed with the vocal quality of Steve Walsh which didn't sound like him at early albums. This time his voice is heavy and practically no high register notes he typically sang. So I did not put this album in my playlist for quite a long time.

Guess what happened then? I came back with this album after I knew that "In The Spirit of Things" was produced by Bob Ezrin (not all tracks but most of them) and Steve Morse was the guitar player. Wow! I'd better check it out again. This is really biased and very personal opinion and it might not apply to you. I have already perceived that a rock album is produced (or even co-produced!) by Bob Ezrin must be a good one. I have never heard any album where Bob Ezrin produced was a bad one. I even think: how would it sound like if Bob Ezrin was not involved in "In The Spirit of Things"? It might be a lousy album. With the brain and hands of Mr Ezrin, Steve Morse's guitar sounds sometimes are similar with of those played by Kerry Livgren! That makes me smile, already. Steve Morse is one of the best guitarists I know in rock music, so I think he is also the attraction point of this album.

Musically, most of tracks are good with this album. They have good song structure and arrangement. In most tracks Steve Walsh voice stays on track with early albums' voice quality. What it lacks is the melody; I don't see any catchy melody resulted from most of tracks featured here. But it does not mean that this is a bad album. Take "One Big Sky" for example. See the way Steve sings the melody of the song accompanied by children's voice - it sounds weird to me as it has weak melody. The situation becomes better with "House On Fire" which for me is a good track with excellent guitar and vocals, a rocker, excellent organ solo.

It's not Kansas' best album but it's a good one. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#75837) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 22, 2006

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
3 stars It's a different spirit of things compared to the other outputs featuring Kerry Livgren. They play solid bombast rock music, less Prog more AOR - but it's not disappointing.

Good melodies for example 'Inside of me', 'Stand beside me' or 'I counted on love'. 'Rainmaker' is a symphonic exception and the highlight of this release ... 3.5 stars

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#78088) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 13, 2006

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars I have to admit that at the time Kansas released this album in 1988, I was not even aware they were still together. It was the latter 80s, and at the time I was listening to poseurs like Let’s Active and, I don’t know – a-Ha or something. The 80s were a really hard decade for progressive music fans – God bless Marillion, and maybe even Asia.

Anyway, out of nowhere comes Kansas with their third consecutive album without violinist Robby Steinhardt (who had left during 1982’s Vinyl Confessions recording), and the second without Kerry Livgren and bassist Dave Hope, who both left after the 1983 release of Drastic Measures. Back again was vocalist and keyboardist Steve Walsh, who had rejoined the band for the 1986 Power release, as well as former Streets bassist Billy Greer. Dixie Dregs (and soon to be Deep Purple) guitarist Steve Morse had rejoined Kansas after a brief hiatus as an airline pilot (seriously!). The tour supporting this release was mostly canceled due to a severe throat ailment for Walsh, and Morse would leave again following the album’s release and a brief stint doubling with both Kansas and his own band on a European tour the following spring. Greg Robert appears on the album playing keyboards and singing backup, but would not be credited as an ‘official’ member until 1992’s Live at the Whiskey release.

The album is supposed to be something of a theme record, telling the rather disjointed tale of the 1951 flood that destroyed tiny Neosho Falls, Kansas (I’ve been there – it’s still tiny, and really boring). But only a few of the lyrics really support the theme, and about half the album’s songs came from hired writers and stand out like a turd in a teacup. The songs that were not written by Walsh, Morse, or Ehart are pretty obvious to the ears of long-time Kansas fans, and overall the theme pretty much falls apart by the end of the first side of the record. The band (particularly Walsh) have tried to explain this away by saying the individual songs are supposed to represent vignettes of people’s lives who were affected by the flood, but I think what really happened was that the combination of four producers and interference by the label caused the original concept to be wrecked by several songs inserted as potential radio hits. Except for “Ghosts” and “Rainmaker”, most of the songs are either power-rock love songs, or songs about love lost. “Bells of Saint James” is particularly interesting as it tells of an American soldier during the Korean War writing home to his lover, and the tenor of her letters back starts to fade as their distance grows apart.

The music itself isn’t bad. Walsh’s voice is pretty solid for the most part, which makes his ragged vocals on Live at the Whiskey just four years later all the more alarming. The keyboards are strong, but it’s hard to tell which belong to Walsh and which belong to Greg Robert. Steve Morse’s guitar has jelled with the band compared to his one-man- band sound on Power two year’s prior, and Rich Williams plays a complementary role with a few flashes of his trademark meat-wall sound that really started to emerge as the band first fractured around 1980’s Audio-Visions. Greer lays down a solid though conservative bass line throughout, not as animated as Hope was but certainly serviceable. Greer would become a much stronger personality with the band in the 90s.

In addition to his production work, Bob Ezrin co-wrote four of the songs and provided some percussion and backing vocals. There were also several other keyboardists and vocalists on the album, presumably a result of the overproduction by Ezrin, 80s dinosaur-rock producer Greg Ladanyi, and hack producer-wannabe Paul Maxon. Phil Ehart also claimed production credits, although I’m not sure why.

The strongest tracks on the album are well-done with tight rhythms and solid lyrics – “Ghosts”, “House on Fire”, and the tear-jerker “Bells of Saint James” in particular. The acoustic guitar instrumental “T.O. Witcher”, written by Walsh as a tribute to an old friend, is nostalgic and appealing, but kind of out-of-place for a Kansas album. Still, it has become a concert staple for the band in recent years.

“House on Fire” is an energetic song about a scorned woman with a gun, and kind of like the early “Lonely Street” with an edge and role-reversal. There is a much longer version of this live on the King Biscuit Presents album that really rocks and is much better than the version here, but this is probably the closest to the rock-meets-art sound the band churned out on Monolith, Audio-Visions, and to a certain extent Vinyl Confessions.

“Inside of Me” is my favorite song on the album, which despite being a pure 80s power ballad showcases Walsh’s strongest vocals in years, as well as showing the band’s ability for razor-sharp execution. The chorus is catchy, without being too pop- sounding.

“Stand Beside Me” is another power ballad, was one of the songs Ezrin bought from a writer’s-mill, and was the featured single for the album. It failed to chart at all, and garnered almost no radio play except on some die-hard adult-listening stations. I’m actually kind of glad, because this song was WAY too overproduced, and comes off sounding like something John Elephante would have put out if he had Don Henley and Steve Perry of Journey to work with instead of the Kansas brethren. Bleah!

The other hired-gun songs are “One Big Sky”, which also sounds better on the live King Biscuit album; “One Man, One Heart”, which is about as sappy as the title implies (but solid guitars and drums); and “Once in a Lifetime”, which I won’t say any more about because my mother taught me that if you can’t say something good about somebody, …..

So overall this is not a great album from Kansas. It probably wouldn’t even be considered good compared to their best output from the 70s (or even 2000’s Somewhere to Elsewhere). And it probably would have been better if the band had managed to write all their own material, since the songs written by Walsh and Morse all fall into the pretty decent-to-good category. And “Inside of Me”, “Ghosts”, and “House on Fire” are all at least solid, perhaps even really good.

In all I would probably rate this at somewhere between 2.6 and 2.9 on a scale of one to five, so for now I’ll round it off to three (but just barely) and consider my opinion shared. Enjoy.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#88076) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars Do not expect too much of this Kansas effort. Although some colleagues have rated this album with five stars (a masterpiece ?) this is aboslutely not a must own Kansas album. Forget about those famous violin soli, the grandiose vocal harmonies, the furious guitar breaks and the gorgeous keyboard sounds. What we have here is average (at best) to poor rock FM music.

Only one good Kansas song (I am not even talking about a highlight) : the closing number "Bells of Saint James" somewhat reminiscent of the good old time with great guitar work (but Steve Morse is a brilliant guitar player). Nice vocals from Walsh as well. The opener is mellowish for most of it, but does include a fantastic guitar break. "House Of Fire" is not too bad either : strong riff and great keys (we won't get much of those here). I can also live with the "Once in a Lifetime" which is a nice rock ballad (some violin touch might have add an interesting angle to it).

What's the use of this Christian choir on some of the songs : "One Big Sky", "The Preacher" (gosh !) and "Rainmaker" (which features a brilliant guitar break in the middle part, really). I know that some Kansas members were strongly influenced by religion but this is a bit too much for me. My overall feeling about this album is that it is made out of pre-formatted music. Rather repetitive and weak to be honest. Tasteless music "Inside Of Me", "One Man, One Heart" I am as objective as an old (but not deaf) Kansas fan can be. Maybe I am too much attracted by their early works ?

The serie of poor albums goes on : their second album in a row which I rate with one star only. After this one, Kansas will make a loooooong break before going back to the studios. A good idea, I guess. Stay away from this album is my advice.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#118507) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007

Review by b_olariu
4 stars Definitely not in the traditional vein of the "classic Kansas sound", but still very solid album in AOR style. Very good example that Kansas is not dead and still manage to offer good pieces with the unmatch guitar player that is Steve Morse. Much more better then Vinyl or Drastic with more confidence in song writing, Steve Walsh voice is good as in the past. What else then a 4 star album, the best from them in the '80, and why not among their best recordings, of course after the '70 releses. 4 stars.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#135472) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 30, 2007

Review by UMUR
2 stars This might be the best of Kansas eighties albums. That doesnīt mean that In the Spirit of Things is very good though. Let me try and put words to what I hear when I listen to eighties Kansas: Church, Rightwing christian values ( jeeesuuuus Iīm born again), american mid-western tradition and republican votes. These things are to me the sworn enemy of artistic freedom and it is easily heard on the eighties Kansas albums that it is this lifestyle they have embraced at this time.

Even though I concider this to be their best album of the eighties itīs still really lame, and says nothing to me. But there are a few instrumental passages spread throughout the album, and a couple of nice vocal lines that saves this from my garbage bin.

In the Spirit of Things is not very likable though, and I would not recommend this to anyone.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#149669) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 09, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars I must start by stressing that even if the line-up is the same and this came only two years later, In The Spirit Of Things is very different from the previous album Power. The amazing Steve Morse is still here, but he is not allowed even half as much space on this album as he was on Power, where he basically dominated the procedures with his guitar pyrotechnics. But the guitar work that is actually here is fantastic. Personally, I have something of a soft spot for both albums, but I cannot help thinking what a great album they could have made by combining the best material from these two albums into one.

While Power basically rocked hard in a high tempo throughout, In The Spirit Of Things is a very mellow and reflective affair full of ballads and semi-ballads. The band rock out about as often here as they slowed things down on Power, which is not a lot. That is why I think that something in between the two had been perfect.

The mellow nature of the album is revealed right from the start with the excellent Ghosts, a slow and beautiful piano-based ballad that sets the mood for the album. This way of opening the album reminds me of how Strawbs opened their Burning For You with the excellent and mellow Burning For Me.

In The Spirit Of Things is something of a concept album. The concept is loosely about a small town in Kansas. The music is helped by the concept and not dominated by it, just as concept albums should be. And the cover art and the booklet give us a very nice visual representation of the music.

One Big Sky and Inside Of Me are similar mellow semi-ballads with some faster instrumental breaks. Both songs have very strong and memorable choruses. One Man, One Heart, on the other hand is the first low point of the album. It is not awful, just unremarkable and not very interesting.

House On Fire is the first (and only) real rocker on this album. Here the Hammond organ is brought in, and the guitar sounds more like it did on the Power album. But if this song had been on Power, it would easily have stood out as the weakest. Again, it is not awful, just not very memorable despite some nice guitar breaks. This song is quite similar in style to what Steve Morse would go on to do with Deep Purple later on.

Once In A Lifetime is a power ballad in typical 80's style and Stand Beside Me and I Counted On Love are similar to Inside Of Me and One Big Sky from earlier, melodic semi-ballads.

The Preacher is a Gospel-Blues-Rock 'n' Roll number that I have a hard time liking despite some tasteful guitar work. And at this point you really begin to wonder if this album is going to hold anything more of interest. Enter the Rainmaker, the only song on this album with clear progressive touches. These touches are basically restricted to an instrumental section towards the end of the song, though. But it stands out as a great moment on this album.

Steve Morse is allowed to shine on his short but lovely acoustic piece T.O. Witcher. Before the closing song Bells Of Saint James, a bombastic song similar to One Big Sky.

It should be pointed out that no less than four of the songs on this album are non-band compositions. With the rest of the songs dominated by the two Steves - Steve Morse and Steve Walsh - writing together, sometimes with help from producer Bob Ezrin. The fact that they brought in non-band compositions might be taken to signal that the band was running out of inspiration. However, the best songs here are clearly the ones they wrote themselves, with Ghosts and Rainmaker standing out.

The production by Ezrin is perfect and overall this is a well crafted album with some great and some weak moments. I strongly prefer Power which I consider to be the best Kansas album of the 80's. Too bad that this was the end of this version on Kansas.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#195329) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 28, 2008

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
3 stars Kansas' final album of the 1980s was a nightmare in terms of the amount of commercialism that went into the making of it. While retaining spitfire guitarist Steve Morse, the band adds an additional keyboardist, Greg Roberts, perhaps to fill in where Livgren was in the sound, although it's hard to tell where his contributions lie. The rhythm section is as solid as it has ever been, even if Billy Greer and Phil Ehart don't have much to deal with in terms of complexity. Rich Williams is still present, but the other guitarist tends to step over him with his shredding. Steve Walsh's voice and vision are both clear on this album, and regarding the former, one can only really detect the rasp when he goes for the higher notes. He has said many times that this is his favorite Kansas album, but it's hard to see why. Despite his tendency toward commercially accessible songwriting, MCA decided to provide the band with some "guidance" in that department, using several outside songwriters to try to squeeze out a hit single or two. And while the album is sometimes described as a loose concept album revolving around the flood that hit Neosho Falls, Kansas in the 1950s, I see very little in that direction. What is here is mostly a collection of pop-rock songs and a few power ballads.

"Ghosts" A gentle opening, with Walsh describing the desolation of a flood over an unassuming piano. It's a peaceful way to begin things.

"One Big Sky" This is an excellent rock song, especially for the time. Compared to the live version that has been released about two hundred times, this one is a little tame, almost stripped of its power since the guitars and vocals are mixed a bit low. The children's choir is a nice touch, though.

"Inside of Me" While I enjoy this song, Walsh has to sing ridiculously low in the beginning. Otherwise, it's a decent pop-rock song, if nothing more.

"One Man, One Heart" This is about as bland as Kansas gets- again, not a terrible song, but this sounds like the band was trying to cling to the heels of the persistent success of acts like Journey.

"House on Fire" This heavy rocker begins with some experimental guitar work before running into an organ-led introduction of the song proper. The otherworldly effects applied to the lead vocals work, even if they get old after a while. It's the stylish guitar playing from Morse and Williams that set this apart.

"Once in a Lifetime" Things slow down with a reflective acoustic song that picks up during the chorus, but other than the pleasing guitar, this one is mostly forgettable.

"Stand Beside Me" I think of all the pop ballads Kansas did, particularly during the late 1970s and the 1980s, this one might be my favorite. It is a simple song with good instrumentation and is well-executed. It doesn't make me feel anything, but I suppose that's the nature of these kinds of songs.

"I Counted On Love" Like "One Man, One Heart," this is just a bland 1980s power ballad, one I can do without. None of the instrumentation is even noteworthy.

"The Preacher" Along with "Ghosts," "One Big Sky," and "Bells of Saint James," this is one of my preferred songs on this album. It has a good blues structure with some solid riffs, and the melodies are quite memorable. The choir adds a much needed layer during the chorus.

"Rainmaker" The half-sung, half-spoken lyrics sound almost laughably cheesy, but after that initial section, Walsh becomes dramatic over the choir, telling a haunting story. Heavier instrumentation follows, with the sound of thunder underneath, that does a great job depicting the deluge.

"T.O. Witcher" This is a terse acoustic guitar piece written by Morse to honor a teacher of his. While I personally like it (and it's certainly fun to actually play), and while I wouldn't call it out of place on this album, it does seem like excessive validation of Morse's place in the band.

"Bells of Saint James" The final song describes the correspondence between a solider and his lover. Morse scratches out a quick solo, and the drumming is terrific. The vocals soar here, and after enduring some terribly commercial music, the album ends satisfyingly.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#204702) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 28, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars In the 1980s movie "Repo Man", Emilio Estevez walks through a room where The Circle Jerks were playing an acoustic version of their song When The Sh*t Hits The Fan. He shakes his head and says "I can't believe I used to like those guys". Ever since "Monolith", Kansas albums have made me feel that way. And for some reason (probably because I worked in a record store, and got the promos for free), I always gave them another chance.

Even with the amazing Steve Morse (of The Dixie Dregs) on board, this one is still a turkey. Just a bunch of overblown arena rock songs, with better than average guitar solos. The middle break section of Rainmaker is about the only place the band approaches prog. But it doesn't last long.

Don't bother.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#276024) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 02, 2010

Review by VanVanVan
2 stars I will preface this review by saying that Kansas is my favorite band and it was my first love in prog. That said, this is not one of their better moments. What we have here is a hodgepodge of songs, some of which seem to be part of a concept album about a flood in a small Kansas town, and some of which are campy ballads written by songwriters outside of the band and forced onto the album in an attempt to generate hit singles. What results is about what you would expect, probably the least consistent and cohesive Kansas album out there.

The album actually starts off well, with "Ghosts" being a nice, slow tune with sparse but functional instrumentals and evocative imagery-filled lyrics. From there, unfortunately, the album takes a nosedive from which it will not recover until the ending of the album. "One Big Sky" and "Inside of Me" both have Kansas members credited as writers, but they're very bland and lack any of the punch that even the commercial material off of their previous album Power had. "One Man, One Heart" has nothing that you wouldn't immediately expect from the title. "House on Fire" is a rocker, but not a good one. With a chorus that goes, "She's like a flame, she's burning hot, she's like a house on fire," this is 80s cheese at its worst. The worst song on the album. "Stand Beside Me," is pretty much in the same boat as "One Man, One Heart," in my opinion it's a waste of space. "I Counted On Love" is probably the most palatable of this middle section of pop mediocrity, but given its competition that's not saying much.

"The Preacher," seems to hearken back to the supposed concept we glimpsed with "Ghosts," and it's miles better than tracks 2-8. Even so, though, it's not stellar, using a gospel approach on the chorus that only sort of works. "Rainmaker," on the other hand is great. Telling the story of a con-man who, it is implied, inadvertently dooms the town, it's got a great vocal performance by Walsh and a very cool, spooky chorus. "T.O. Witcher" is a short little acoustic interlude that probably would have made sense if this were a full-blown concept album; as it is it just feels a bit out of place. Luckily, the album finishes on a high note. "The Bells of Saint James" is everything a finale should be, with awesome vocals from Walsh and a killer guitar solo. An awesome, awesome song that pretty much makes this album worth the money I spent on it.

Overall, though, this album is a mess, and the commercial songs are bad even by their own standards. For a better look at this commercial, Steve Walsh led Kansas, buy Power. "In The Spirit of Things" might be Steve Walsh's favorite Kansas album, but it sure isn't mine.

2/5

Send comments to VanVanVan (BETA) | Report this review (#479382) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 09, 2011

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Well, released in 1988, hardly anyone noticed this album. Kansas by that time was already a burnt out band. Small wonder it took almost two decades to even know they did have put out a follow up to 1986īs Power with the same line up. Which is a pity, since in several ways In The Spirit Of Things is superior to Power. Not that it is a classic. In fact the album is still plagued by that kind of overblown 80īs production, even if that style was already on decay at the time. But the songs in general are quite strong.

The opener trio of tunes show that contradiction very well: Ghosts, One Big Sky And Inside of Me are all good rock songs that the plastic production make them drag a bit. The band is tight, Steve Walsh vocals are great and passionate all the way through. There are some power ballads and a few typical AOR tracks on the way, but clearly nothing here is crap. Again the excellent instrumentation and the fierce, convincing vocals make even the weakest tunes at least listenable. And at the end of the album youīll find even some little known gems: Rainmaker and, specially, Bells Of Saint James show the band in great form and somewhat reminding of their power and majesty of the 70īs. Itīs ironical that Steve Morse is hardly noticeable on the record: is hard to tell where he or Rich Williams play each part. Still, the guitars are great when they appear.

In the end I found this album much more pleasant and exciting than Power. While there is plenty of commercial material, they still managed to make it with elegance and personality and included far better stuff by the second half of the CD. Not up to their classic stuff, ok, but still very good. Certainly if The Spirits of Things was released some five years before it would be probably praised as an AOR classic with strong prog influences and it could sell a lot too . Certainly it would be far superior than 90% of the pop stuff of the period. But the timing was bad. Such a shame.

If PA was an AOR or melodic rock site The Spirit Of things could easily get 4 or even 5 stars. For a prog site, though, 3 stars is quite adequate. Good, but non essential.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#659023) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Review by Guillermo
2 stars I think that the eighites was a very hard decade for some Progressive Rock bands which had to survive pleasing the record companies which gave them recording contracts but not very much artistic freedom. I think that this thing can be listened very much in an album like this by Kansas. This is another over-produced eighties album more oriented for the Pop Rock and Hard Rock markets than for the Prog Rock market. All those "commercial eighties" ingredients are there in this album: very typical eighites sound in the keyboards, a lot of reverbation, typical sounding drums, etc. The guitars by Steve Morse are very good, but more oriented to the Hard Rock style, and Rich Williams is more in the background as guitarist. The original music style of Kansas is harder to identify than in their previous album called "Power", and the band sounds very different. Steve Walshīs voice sounds good even if it sounds a bit "raw" and a bit tired. The record label even suggested to the band to use songs composed by people who was not in the band, sounding very commercial for my taste ("One Man, One Heart", ."Once in a Lifetime" and "Stand Beside Me") like the record label executives wanted hit singles and they didnīt believe the band had those hit singles as composers. I only like these songs from this album: "One Big Sky","The Preacher" and "T.O. Witcher".

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#1007025) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2013

2 stars Steve Walsh, Phil Ehert, and Rich Williams are here, but not much else. "Livgren, where art thou?" A lot of commericalized AOR radio-freindly rock appears here with few redeeming good songs. Only "one Big Sky", "The Preacher", "Rainmaker" and "The Bells of Saint James", keep this from being a ... (read more)

Report this review (#438894) | Posted by mohaveman | Monday, April 25, 2011 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I will try not to shoot on the ambulance but in this case this is not very easy. In the Spirit of Things, the second and last Kansas album featuring Steve Morse, is maybe even more disappointing than its forerunner, Power. At this point, it seems clear that the band had given up on any artist ... (read more)

Report this review (#120180) | Posted by Bupie | Monday, April 30, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars not a bad disc,but,i think who the before"power"was better who this.including the song rainmaker, who is for me the most progressive song of kansas of the 80īs where steve walsh sing like!! roger waters!!,a kind of the wall(the trial)who casually also was co- write for bob ezrin,the rest is topi ... (read more)

Report this review (#60769) | Posted by antonio | Monday, December 19, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I was forced to write a review of this album due to the horribly inaccurate and unjust reviews by others. Truth is, this is a great Kansas album and a rather unique one in their catalog. Though it doesn't have key band members on it, such as Kerry Livgren or Robby Steinhardt, the remaining m ... (read more)

Report this review (#21911) | Posted by | Friday, December 17, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Definitely not in the traditional vein of the "classic Kansas sound". In the Spirit of Things was made in the late '80s, a time where '70s classic rock music simply wasn't happening... Notwithstanding, Kansas managed to come up with one of its best, yet more under- appreciated gems. Steve Walsh ... (read more)

Report this review (#21909) | Posted by | Tuesday, June 15, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A frankly astounding record. For their MCA Swansong the band teamed up with legendary producer Bob Ezrin to create the best Kansas album since Leftoverture. The breadth of vision apparent here is immense, from the evocative, Walsh-led opener Ghosts to the crashing epic grandeur of the massively unde ... (read more)

Report this review (#21905) | Posted by | Wednesday, December 31, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KANSAS "In The Spirit Of Things"