RETROSPEKT¤ẁ III

Magma Retrospekt´ẁ III album cover

Buy MAGMA Music
Live, released in 1981

1. Retrovision (18:13)
2. Hha´ (version intÚgrale) (13:23)
3. "La" Dawotsin (4:10)

Search MAGMA Retrospekt´ẁ III lyrics

Search MAGMA Retrospekt´ẁ III tabs

- Christian Vander / drums, piano on (3), vocals on (2)
- Rene Garber / 1st Lieutenant
- Stella Vander / vocals
- Liza Deluxe / vocals
- Maria Popkiewicz / vocals
- Guy Khalifa / vocals (1,3)
- Didier Lockwood / violin
- Jean Luc Chevalier / guitar (1,2), bass on (3)
- Benoit Widemann / keyboards
- Bernard Paganotti / bass (2,3)
- Jean Pierre Fouquey / Fender piano (1,2)
- Francois Laizeau / percussion (1,2)
- Dominique Bertram / bass (1)

CD-Seventh-REX XV

and to James for the last updates

MAGMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MAGMA Retrospekt´ẁ III Music

Retrospektiv I & IIRetrospektiv I & II
Imports 2006
Retrospectiw I & IIRetrospectiw I & II
Seventh Records 2013
Mythes Et Legendes IMythes Et Legendes I
Seventh Records 2013

More places to buy MAGMA music online Buy MAGMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MAGMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MAGMA Retrospekt´ẁ III ratings distribution

MAGMA Retrospekt´ẁ III reviews

Review by bhikkhu
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Team
4 stars One of the advantages of living in an eclectic university town, like Ann Arbor, is the abundance of used music shops. This is a very diverse place, and is quite international. This means that you get a wider variety of musical tastes. It also means that if you find something unique, you'd better grab it. There is a good chance someone else is also looking for it. This was the case on one of my many visits to my favorite shop, and I noticed a MAGMA album in the M's. At the time, I was just beginning to explore different music. I had head MDK a couple of times, but I still didn't know any Zeuhl that well. I had no idea what "Retrospekt´w III" was (I didn't remember even seeing it listed on P.A.), but I had to follow my own guidelines and pick it up.

Once I put it on, I was extremely happy with my purchase. It just grabbed me right from the beginning. The funky bass, tight drumbeats, and crazy chatter are instantly infectious. The jamming then ensues. And jam they do. This is actually a very upbeat affair. The selections are three of their most accessible, played with incredible vigor and joy. The band is very tight (as you would expect), and the vocals pristine. They do get a bit dark at times (it is Magma after all), but it is generally positive, and very soulful. I think they must have been listing to some funk, and a lot of Soul before this show.

This could actually be the most, dare I say, fun album in their collection. It might also be the best place for a novice to enter into MAGMA, or maybe even Zeuhl in general. The selections are not the most complex or groundbreaking things they could have chosen, but it doesn't fail to show the originality and excellence of Christian Vander's musical vision. It's also a great representation of the energy of a live MAGMA experience. This may have been recorded in 1981, but I can tell you that even in 2007, they haven't lost a bit of it.

If you are a big time Zeuhl fan, or just becoming interested, go get this one. You'll be glad you did.

H.T. Riekels

Send comments to bhikkhu (BETA) | Report this review (#134042) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Review by Warthur
3 stars The second of two sets of extracts from the epic June 1980 reunion concerts put on by Magma focuses on post-Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh material. The opening Retrovision presents a much more convincing fusion of zeuhl with funk and gospel than was achieved on the Attahk album (extracts of which appear in the song), whilst Hhai appears in the classic zeuhl style much as it was on Live/Hhai and the album is rounded off by a sparser and quieter closing ballad. The material here is not quite as iconic as that on Retrospektiw, but Magma fans will still most likely find it enjoyable.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#565684) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 10, 2011

4 stars I bought this LP from Brussels some weeks ago with Retrospective 1 & 2 (Univers Zero's fantastic concert took place on the same day there). On this Retrospective 3 we can hear three quite different compositions. The first one - "Retrovision" - is a side- long "retrospective-medley" from Attahk- ... (read more)

Report this review (#97494) | Posted by Rainer Rein | Tuesday, November 07, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars this album showes that magma was able to incorporate many different musical styles, track one is the first ten minutes something of a zeuhl/funk/gospel piece, then moves into more darker territory, very good, track two is something of a pinnacle displaying christian vander`s incredible vocal s ... (read more)

Report this review (#82923) | Posted by | Thursday, July 06, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I bought this album when I was eighteen. For more than twenty years I have been a "prog" fan, and I heard hundreds of albums from prog artists. I still believe that "Retrospektiw 3" from Christian Vander and GO from Stomu Yamashta were my most important "discoveries", I mean the best albums I ... (read more)

Report this review (#60777) | Posted by | Monday, December 19, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MAGMA "Retrospekt´ẁ III"