FALLING DEEPER

Experimental/Post Metal

Anathema Falling Deeper album cover

Buy ANATHEMA Music
Studio Album, released in 2011

1. Crestfallen / Sleep In Sanity (6:43)
2. Kingdom (3:59)
3. They Die (2:20)
4. Sunset Of Age (7:32)
5. Everwake (3:09)
6. We The Gods (3:00)
7. I Made A Promise (4:10)
8. Alone (6:36)

- John Douglas / percussion, keyboards, guitars
- Lee Douglas / female vocals
- Les Smith / keyboards

Guest musicians:
- Anneke van Giersbergen / vocals (5)
- Dave Stewart / arrangements

Release date: September 5, 2011
Label: Kscope Records

Thanks to progshine for the addition
and to progshine for the last updates

ANATHEMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANATHEMA Falling Deeper Music

Falling DeeperFalling Deeper
KSCOPE 2011
Anathema - Falling Deeper - brand new sealed rare out of print vinyl LP USD $32.00 [0 bids]
USD $42.00 Buy It Now
Falling Deeper by Anathema (CD, Sep-2011, Kscope) USD $15.00 Buy It Now 5 days
UKRAINE import ANATHEMA Falling Deeper MOON rec. Ukrainian - UKR CD USD $16.90 Buy It Now 5 days
ANATHEMA - FALLING DEEPER - KSCOPE187 USD $17.18 Buy It Now 6 days
Anathema - Falling Deeper (NEW CD) USD $19.15 Buy It Now 7 days
ANATHEMA - FALLING DEEPER - SEALED IMPORT DIGIBOOK CD NEW 2011 USD $8.95 Buy It Now 7 days
ANATHEMA Falling Deeper BRAND NEW 2011 LIMITED ON DIJIPACK USD $8.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Anathema - Falling Deeper CD USD $16.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Falling Deeper ANATHEMA LIMITED Digipack CD ( FREE SHIPPING) USD $8.39 Buy It Now 8 days
Falling Deeper - Anathema (2011, CD New) USD $13.07 Buy It Now 9 days
Falling Deeper by Anathema (CD, Sep-2011, Kscope) USD $8.80 Buy It Now 17 days
Falling Deeper, Anathema, New USD $13.66 Buy It Now 22 days
Anathema - Falling Deeper NEW CD USD $15.46 Buy It Now 25 days
ANATHEMA - FALLING DEEPER - NEW CD USD $11.99 Buy It Now 25 days
Falling Deeper - Anathema New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $17.60 Buy It Now 26 days
Anathema - Falling Deeper LP NEW prog alt UK rock RARE vinyl kscope USD $49.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Anathema "Falling Deeper" 2011 Sealed Digibook USD $15.57 Buy It Now 28 days
ANATHEMA - FALLING DEEPER NEW CD USD $16.85 Buy It Now 29 days
ANATHEMA Falling Deeper BRAND NEW 2011 HARD COVER BOOK VERSION VERY LIMITED USD $10.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy ANATHEMA music online Buy ANATHEMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANATHEMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANATHEMA Falling Deeper ratings distribution

ANATHEMA Falling Deeper reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Falling Deeper' - Anathema (8/10)

Anathema first re-recorded unplugged versions of their existing music with the album 'Hindsight'. Contrary to my expectations, I not only loved that album, but it became one of my favourite albums from this former doom, now-atmospheric rock group. Like most of my most loved modern artists, this is a band that keeps doing brilliant new things, and the second 'unplugged' release from these Liverpudlians proves that they have nowhere near exhausted their passion for making some of the most emotive music in recent times. Instead of merely doing a sequel to 'Hindsight', 'Falling Deeper' does something rather different. Anathema's latest sees them mellow out their music like never before, now to the point of being rightfully called ambient music. Although the turbulence of these doom classics has been squeezed out of them, they are now more beautiful and touching than ever.

In place of guitars or drums, Anathema rely mostly on gentle piano, and a fully realized string section to bring these new renditions to life. 'Hindsight' certainly changed most of its songs up into something new, but they were always recognizable in relation to the core material. 'Falling Deeper' is such a radical departure from the death-doom metal style that most of the songs here bear only a slight resemblance to the originals, to the point where one could even call this album a set of fresh material that pays homage to their early work over anything else. To call 'Falling Deeper' 'unplugged' would be misleading, seeing as the arrangements here are generally more complex than the originals, which were mostly led on by one or two guitars. The strings and piano instantly create a template with which to create some beautiful music, and Anathema do not disappoint. Each track here is very moving in a cinematic sense, and there is even a running flow to the music that assures the listener that once they fall into the trance of the music, they won't be roused out of it by some out-of-place track break.

There are vocals here as well from the Cavanagh brothers, as well as well-known Dutch vocalit Anneke Van Giersbergen, who coincidentally ranks among my favourite female singers. As opposed to letting the vocals take run with melodies, they are instead used almost as if the voices were no more an instrument than the violins or piano. The highlight 'Kingdom' is perfectly indicative of this, with soothing vocals doing more for the texture of the music, rather than taking hold of the listener's attention. This is most definitely ambient music, and that can also mean it is not something that is necessarily going to mesh with every whim and occasion. This is romantic, beautiful, soothing music to put on while either relaxing and reflecting, and to that extent, I may not like the homogeneity of this release over something like 'Hindsight', or one of the brilliant full-lengths they have done recently. For what it lacks in dynamic or variety though, Anathema nails down the one angle they aim for here, and once again, I have fallen in love with the music this group makes.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#560736) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 01, 2011

4 stars "Falling Deeper" sees the band completely re-arranging some of their oldest tracks from 1992 to 1995 when they were known as a Doom Metal band. The nine tracks are taken from two EPs ("Pentecost II & "Crestfallen") and two full length records ("Serenades" & "The Silent Enigma"). So yes this is quite different from the "Hindsight" album where they simply re-recorded later songs in that unplugged or acoustic format. Which is why "Hindsight" is listed here under "Compilation Albums" and "Falling Deeper" is looked at as a new recording. Also "Falling Deeper" is not an unplugged recording at all. Unless you were told, or knew the lyrics, these songs bear little to no resemblance to what they once were. The LONDON SESSION ORCHESTRA adds their talents to these tracks and Dave Stewart is the one who arranged these orchestral movements. Dave also worked his magic in this manner on their previous album "We're Here Becuase We're Here". I would say this is more melancholic and majestic when compared to their previous studio album. There's less light but man the atmosphere and majesty is awe-inspiring. It really is hard for me to keep my emotions in check while listening to this record.

"Crestfallen" might be my favourite track on here. The sad piano melodies to start and when it kicks in with drums, guitar and orchestra it's so emotional. Lee comes in vocally and as usual she sounds so beautiful. She sings "Falling deeper" over and over. "Sleep In Sanity" is so atmospheric, beautiful and powerful as male and female vocals arrive. My God ! It settles right down late and blends into "Kingdom". Just incredible. It's building as vocals come in. A haunting atmosphere ends it. Three drop dead gorgeous songs in a row. "They Die" is the shortest tune at just over 2 minutes. More of the same really but i'm not complaining as we get orchestral beauty and piano. Such a powerful soundscape. "Everwake" features the vocals of Anneke formally of THE GATHERING. And yes she's my favourite female vocalist, making this song feel like a dream. Beautiful melancholy as Anneke comes in in a reserved manner.

"J'ai Fait Une Promesse" has sparse piano then the strings take over. So peaceful and beautiful. There's a glimpse of light late. "Alone" is acoustic guitar-led gloom. It's fuller and almost haunting after 2 minutes then Lee comes in vocally. It settles right down with acoustic guitar again. Rain and thunder arrives then it's building before 5 minutes. Vocals are back with the rain and thunder to end it. "We The Gods" is uplifting with strings and piano. "Sunset Of Age" is gorgeous to start as male vocals come in. It kicks in after a minute as contrasts continue. The guitar lights it up late. Nice. What a song !

I must say i'm blown away by this even if these are older songs being given a modern makeover.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#741802) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2012

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Anathema goes grandiose and exaltedly symphonic on this release, the target being a reworking of older songs and fitting them into a massive orchestral glow that is simply put, irresistible! Their usual gloomy veneer has been coated with a colossal melancholia with torrents of effective symphony strings courtesy of the London Session Orchestra. Accordingly, this evolving group of musicians search out new sonic horizons, eschewing any formulaic approach to their discography and boldly take their craft to new heights. This is a most welcome philosophy for it underlines a definite progressive tendency to constantly alter their scope and hone their artistic vision, unafraid to experiment and rejoice in the results. Being relatively new to the Anathema phenomenon (the masterful "Judgement" is what sucked me in), I need to visit their past discography but with music of such sheer beauty, I have no wish to run too fast , helter-skelter. I know I will get there. In the meantime, the aura of grandiose ennui becomes evident on "Crestfallen", a perfect title of a perfect song expertly portrayed amid a wave of crushing symphonicity. It segues directly into "Sleep in Sanity" a downright killer track, wielded by a sensational female wailing by Lee Douglas , while the three Cavanagh boys really lay it on thick and creamy, as befitting such a spectral arrangement. "Kingdom" wallows wildly in a steamy, delirious and yet consistent aural mist, emotionally charged and breathtaking. "They Die" is short but oh so bittersweet! The most glorious 2 minute piece you have ever heard. "Everwake" is a stunning slice of Annike van Giersbergen (The Gathering), a wonderfully adept vocalist, specializing in the fragile/powerful arsenal of pipes. She can howl, wail and sing with total ease. When a piano lulls you into an orchestra of trembling strings, how can you not melt? "J'ai Fait Une Promesse" is such a highlight then! Melancholic restraint. Desperate gorgeousness. "Alone" is cinematographically creepy by comparison, acoustic guitar gloom and despondence invade the air with morbid intensity (lack thereof, actually) until Lee swerves into our ears, screeching some distressed plea, the relentless plucking strings of the forlorn acoustic guitar weeping in the foreground. Thunderstorm effects add to the murkiness, Lee doing an encore wail and figuratively ushering the funeral choir forward. Chilling to be alone for some. "We the Gods" is another piano and string cameo that meanders along, unobtrusively carving an elegant route. "Sunset of Age" ends this voyage on an uplifting note, massive strings shepherd in some irresistible male and female vocals, a steady beat and a thunderous chorus. The violins are stupendous, a dazzling foray into the senses confused by all the contrast and the stop and go rhythm, the piano refereeing the crew, putting them into a resemblance of order. Yes, the music is that powerful and evocative, yet treated in a classical way. Wow!. Their material is ideally suited for this kind of overhaul, hence it's successful! The screeching guitar twining with the strings is exemplary, proving they are damn fine musicians to boot. A triumph of adventure, courage and musical vision

This is a petite one, barely a half hour of music but quite a stellar performance. Brief album, brief review.

4.5 drowning tears

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#750674) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2012

Review by Gatot
3 stars I'm not quite sure when I first listened to Anathema. But for sure, I like their music especially when they already made the music like this 'Falling Deeper' album. For me personally, it's quite a break to enjoy this kind of non-complex arrangements kind of music even though the nuance is quite dark. Look at the opening instrumental "Crestfallen" which flows nicely in slow tempo using piano fills as its main melody, followed seamlessly with "Sleep In Sanity" (6:43) that features vocal. The string orchestration at the background is also nice. The melody line is handled by vocal followed with long sustain synthesizer - it's a very cool opening track.

The next track 'Kingdom' (3:59) is still in dark mood with an ambient intro combining string arrangements followed with piano touch and vocal - everything is performed in relatively slow tempo. Even though different in music style, when I am listening to this track I associate the nuance created is somewhat similar with the music of Tangerine Dream. This composition relies heavily on orchestration at the background. 'Sunset Of Age' (7:32) starts slowly with piano touch followed with background music that moves slowly in crescendo. It then moves smoothly to "Everwake" (3:09) with acoustic guitar fills followed with female vocal line. It's a peaceful music offering, really.

Overall, I really enjoy this kind of music offering by Anathema in "Falling Deeper". The music moves nicely from one segment to another in relatively slow moving fashion predominantly demonstrated by nice background music with synthesizer and orchestration. It requires patient to enjoy it as you won't get any uptempo style here with this album. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#884759) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 31, 2012

5 stars Though I only own Anathema's music catalogue from Natural Disasters to the present, my feelings with regards to their music has remained fairly constant. I love their sound, I love their spiritually-minded lyrical messages, I love the flow and feel of their records, I just find their song-writ ... (read more)

Report this review (#1074386) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Saturday, November 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 9.5/10 An experience so ethereal and transcendental, whose words may not be enough to describe it. To someone that is completely in love with the music, always charm me when I hear something that not only makes a good impression as the musical quality, but promotes an even deeper, going beyond ... (read more)

Report this review (#1009498) | Posted by voliveira | Thursday, August 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Here is new anathema comp with older songs done in classical arrangement. One my all time fave bands,They have shift from doom metal over years to more post rock ambient. With some math rock tendencies i love orchestral arangments on this disc short disc but good. highlight songs- alone-7 min ... (read more)

Report this review (#511310) | Posted by scepter | Monday, August 29, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANATHEMA "Falling Deeper"