FALLING DEEPER

Experimental/Post Metal

Anathema Falling Deeper album cover

Buy ANATHEMA Music
Studio Album, released in 2011

1. Crestfallen / Sleep In Sanity (6:43)
2. Kingdom (3:59)
3. They Die (2:20)
4. Sunset Of Age (7:32)
5. Everwake (3:09)
6. We The Gods (3:00)
7. I Made A Promise (4:10)
8. Alone (6:36)

- John Douglas / percussion, keyboards, guitars
- Lee Douglas / female vocals
- Les Smith / keyboards

Guest musicians:
- Anneke van Giersbergen / vocals (5)
- Dave Stewart / arrangements

Release date: September 5, 2011
Label: Kscope Records

Thanks to progshine for the addition
and to progshine for the last updates

ANATHEMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANATHEMA Falling Deeper Music

Sony UK 2006
Alternative 4Alternative 4
Remastered · Extra tracks
Peaceville UK 2004
far from mind - breakpoint 33', drudkh alcest anathema katatonia ulver agalloch US $5.99 [0 bids]
sleepless - winds blow higher, agalloch katatonia anathema opeth manes alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
the loveless - star rover, bay laurel saturnus him tristania anathema slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
on thorns I lay - future narcotic, katatonia anathema saturnus alcest slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
on thorns I lay - angeldust, katatonia october tide anathema saturnus alcest fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
Falling Deeper by Anathema (CD, Sep-2011, Icarus/Kscope) US $7.00 Buy It Now 6h 3m
ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS - NEW CD + DVD US $10.99 Buy It Now 8h 41m
MARCHE FUNEBRE-NORIZON-CD-gloomy-dark-anathema-my dying bride-doom-death US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 13m
EMBRACED - AMOROUS ANATHEMA - NEW!!!! US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 32m
Anathema - A Natural Disaster NEW CD US $8.23 Buy It Now 19h 9m
Anathema US $14.99 Buy It Now 19h 11m
ANATHEMA - FALLING DEEPER - CD - New US $19.70 Buy It Now 22h 7m
ANATHEMA - SERENADES [DIGIPAK] NEW CD US $17.87 Buy It Now 1 day
Lets Get This Mother Outta Here by Ship of Fools (CD, Oct-2002,...ANATHEMA US $0.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA ORIGINAL UNUSED 2014 AUSTRLIAN TOUR POSTER A3 PROG METAL GOTH DOOM US $4.70 [1 bids]
ANATHEMA - JUDGMENT - 1999 CD - KATATONIA PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE ALCEST US $7.21 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - ALTERNATIVE 4 - 2003 CD - KATATONIA PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE US $7.21 Buy It Now 1 day
INNER MISSING-THE AGE OF SILENCE-CD-doom-death-anathema-saturnus-profetus US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
AMORPHIS Am universum G/F LP Green Vinyl 2013 anathema in flames opeth nightwish US $33.99 [0 bids]
AMORPHIS Am universum G/F LP 2013 anathema in flames opeth nightwish sentenced US $31.99 [0 bids]
AMORPHIS Tuonela G/F LP 2013 anathema my dying bride in flames opeth nightwish US $31.99 [0 bids]
Distant Satellites by Anathema : Format: Audio CD US $19.09 Buy It Now 1 day
Opeth - Orchid FIRST PRESS BLUE CD 1995!!! Katatonia, Alcest, Anathema, Agalloch US $28.00 [0 bids]
Anathema: We're Here Because [CD/DVDA/LP 2011 The End DELUXE VINYL LIKE NEW] US $44.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - ALTERNATIVE 4 - TAPE / MC / CASSETTE US $2.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - A NATURAL DISASTER - TAPE / MC / CASSETTE US $2.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA ~'ALTERNATIVE FUTURE E.P.'~RARE PROM ONLY CD 1998~Peaceville ?-CDVILE 5 US $25.69 Buy It Now 1 day
KATATONIA "ghost of the sun" promo anathema ulver the gathering opeth US $19.99 [0 bids]
CELESTIAL SEASON - Forever Scarlet Passion LP ORANGE ltd 100 anathema ulver US $29.99 [0 bids]
Mourning Beloveth - Logo PATCH Anathema Evoken Novembers Doom Pentagram US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE [CD] [1 DISC] [654436019527] - NEW CD US $9.58 Buy It Now 1 day
Jesu - Lifeline CD (Isis, Cult of Luna, Godflesh, Alcest, Indian, Anathema) US $3.25 [3 bids]
Anathema Distant Satellites CD ALBUM NEW/MINT US $20.55 Buy It Now 1 day
DAWN OF ASHES - ANATHEMA - MET854 US $22.64 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Serenades [CD New] US $10.64 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST Believe In Nothing / Permanent Solution CD 2 in1 RUS ANATHEMA US $10.99 [0 bids]
Anathema "Falling Deeper" 2011 Sealed Digibook US $17.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema: Alternative 4 CD 2003 Bonus Tracks Peaceville Records UK CDVILED73 NEW US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
LEGACY MAGAZINE W/CD EMPEROR Therion SINISTER Enslaved AETERNUS Anathema GERMANY US $2.99 [0 bids]
Antimatter "Lights Out" RARE CD Anathema Goth Gothic Rock Metal Ambient Ambiant US $2.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - DISTANT SATELLITES - SEALED VINYL - lp record alternative IV opeth US $36.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - ETERNITY - SEALED VINYL - lp record alternative IV opeth US $36.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LOUD MUSIC FOR PEOPLE/Entombed/OPETH/Godflesh/SUGARCOMA/Anathema/STABB/Inme/Cd's US $8.49 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST LOST PARADISE PICTURE LP 1990 PEACEVILLE anathema my dying bride US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
M.E.O. - Anathema - Global Harmony - 2000 #52018 US $5.12 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Serenades CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - A Natural Disaster, CD Sony Music 2006 Brand NEW Sealed US $9.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MORGION CLOAKED BY AGES CROWNED IN EARTH EVOKEN DUSK ANATHEMA MOURNING BELOVETH US $18.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The 3rd and the Mortal In this room RARE CD Gathering Anathema Third Atrox Ulver US $7.99 [0 bids]
The 3rd and the Mortal Memoirs RARE CD Ltd Gathering Anathema Third Atrox Ulver US $7.99 [0 bids]
Cynic-The Portal Tapes ltd ed digipack cd Atheist Death Anathema The Faceless US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CHALICE OF DOOM Into Hypnagogia CD Katatonia October Tide Anathema Evoken US $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema "A Fine Day to Exit" Original edition NM Metallica Paradise Lost Opeth US $83.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA a fine day to exit LP 9 track double vinyl LP with gatefold sleeve and US $34.26 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA "THEY DIE / CRESTFALLEN" 7"EP. Cat.WIHU9205 LIMITED FIRST EDITION US $65.00 [0 bids]
fragile hollow - effete mind, saturnus anathema katatonia tiamat to die for him US $5.99 [0 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Gothic CD 1991 Rare OOP Katatonia Anathema US $15.00 [0 bids]
Pineapple Thief THE DAWN RAIDS 1 & 2 Anathema Porcupine Tree Coldplay US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - The Silent Enigma / TH Cassette US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA ETERNITY 2LP BLACK VINYL ONLY 500 COPIES US $69.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW ANATHEMA -DISTANT SATELLITES-JAPAN CD F30 US $46.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema-Untouchable (rare pic disc vinyl) Record Store Day SEALED US $34.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Distant Satellites (NEW CD) US $20.98 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun, Import, doom, lost, anathema, opeth, slayer US $8.00 [0 bids]
PARADISE LOST - TRAGIC IDOL CD NEW vallenfyre orphaned opeth my dying anathema US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Lid CD In The Mushroom trouble anathema blackfinger eric wagner US $2.69 [0 bids]
Alternative 4 by Anathema (CD, Apr-2001, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $69.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema "Distant Satellites" 2014 CD Sealed [Weather Systems Porcupine Tree] US $17.05 Buy It Now 3 days
Katatonia 'Saw You Drown' vinyl EP, rare, Opeth, Anathema, My Dying Bride US $15.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA:Guitar:Ladies/Girls Shirt NEW:Size 12 US $28.20 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA:Guitar:Ladies/Girls Shirt NEW:Size 8 US $28.20 Buy It Now 4 days
Anathema : Pentecost III CD (1995) US $9.25 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA:Hindsight:Ladies/Girls Shirt NEW:Size 12 US $28.20 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA:Hindsight:Ladies/Girls Shirt NEW:Size 8 US $28.20 Buy It Now 4 days
Anathema - My House - Hellpass Records - 2002 #74000 US $5.12 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA 35"X25" MOSAIC WALL POSTER DOOM GOTHIC METAL US $20.55 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA -DISTANT SATELLITES-JAPAN CD BLU-RAY AUDIO Ltd/Ed I98 zd US $44.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Anathema "Falling Deeper" CD **Free Shipping** US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Katatonia Buildings 7" rsd 2013 record store day anathema opeth agalloch LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The Gathering Superheat Double Vinyl Lp Anathema US $39.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The Gathering Sleepy Buildings A Semi Acoustic Evening Double Vinyl Lp Anathema US $49.99 Buy It Now 4 days
THE GATHERING if then else LP *1st PRESS 2000 century media* anathema katatonia US $69.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The Gathering Disclosure Double Vinyl Lp Anathema US $49.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA -DISTANT SATELLITES-JAPAN CD F30 US $28.50 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA - SILENT ENIGMA [BONUS TRACKS] [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $7.13 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA FIREWIND POSTER US $16.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Anathema Eternity (CD, Aug-1997, Fierce) US $10.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Anathema Resonance, Vol. 2 [Digipak] [ECD] (CD, Apr-2002, Peaceville Recor... US $10.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Anathema - The Silent Enigma NEW CD US $14.86 Buy It Now 4 days
Phantasma - Jahve CD (Horrified, Septicflesh, Seidr, The Gathering, Anathema) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Gazpacho "London" 2011 2cd Sealed (like Marillion, Anathema, Nosound) US $17.12 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA 2 CD ALBUMS - 'A NATURAL DISASTER' - 'RESONANCE' in Digipak Edition US $6.00 [0 bids]
Embraced - Amorous Anathema (1998) Reissue Bonus Tracks US $3.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Falling Deeper LTD Digipack CD US $8.95 Buy It Now 5 days
We're Here Because We're Here - Anathema US $11.03 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy ANATHEMA music online Buy ANATHEMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANATHEMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANATHEMA Falling Deeper ratings distribution

ANATHEMA Falling Deeper reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Falling Deeper' - Anathema (8/10)

Anathema first re-recorded unplugged versions of their existing music with the album 'Hindsight'. Contrary to my expectations, I not only loved that album, but it became one of my favourite albums from this former doom, now-atmospheric rock group. Like most of my most loved modern artists, this is a band that keeps doing brilliant new things, and the second 'unplugged' release from these Liverpudlians proves that they have nowhere near exhausted their passion for making some of the most emotive music in recent times. Instead of merely doing a sequel to 'Hindsight', 'Falling Deeper' does something rather different. Anathema's latest sees them mellow out their music like never before, now to the point of being rightfully called ambient music. Although the turbulence of these doom classics has been squeezed out of them, they are now more beautiful and touching than ever.

In place of guitars or drums, Anathema rely mostly on gentle piano, and a fully realized string section to bring these new renditions to life. 'Hindsight' certainly changed most of its songs up into something new, but they were always recognizable in relation to the core material. 'Falling Deeper' is such a radical departure from the death-doom metal style that most of the songs here bear only a slight resemblance to the originals, to the point where one could even call this album a set of fresh material that pays homage to their early work over anything else. To call 'Falling Deeper' 'unplugged' would be misleading, seeing as the arrangements here are generally more complex than the originals, which were mostly led on by one or two guitars. The strings and piano instantly create a template with which to create some beautiful music, and Anathema do not disappoint. Each track here is very moving in a cinematic sense, and there is even a running flow to the music that assures the listener that once they fall into the trance of the music, they won't be roused out of it by some out-of-place track break.

There are vocals here as well from the Cavanagh brothers, as well as well-known Dutch vocalit Anneke Van Giersbergen, who coincidentally ranks among my favourite female singers. As opposed to letting the vocals take run with melodies, they are instead used almost as if the voices were no more an instrument than the violins or piano. The highlight 'Kingdom' is perfectly indicative of this, with soothing vocals doing more for the texture of the music, rather than taking hold of the listener's attention. This is most definitely ambient music, and that can also mean it is not something that is necessarily going to mesh with every whim and occasion. This is romantic, beautiful, soothing music to put on while either relaxing and reflecting, and to that extent, I may not like the homogeneity of this release over something like 'Hindsight', or one of the brilliant full-lengths they have done recently. For what it lacks in dynamic or variety though, Anathema nails down the one angle they aim for here, and once again, I have fallen in love with the music this group makes.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#560736) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 01, 2011

4 stars "Falling Deeper" sees the band completely re-arranging some of their oldest tracks from 1992 to 1995 when they were known as a Doom Metal band. The nine tracks are taken from two EPs ("Pentecost II & "Crestfallen") and two full length records ("Serenades" & "The Silent Enigma"). So yes this is quite different from the "Hindsight" album where they simply re-recorded later songs in that unplugged or acoustic format. Which is why "Hindsight" is listed here under "Compilation Albums" and "Falling Deeper" is looked at as a new recording. Also "Falling Deeper" is not an unplugged recording at all. Unless you were told, or knew the lyrics, these songs bear little to no resemblance to what they once were. The LONDON SESSION ORCHESTRA adds their talents to these tracks and Dave Stewart is the one who arranged these orchestral movements. Dave also worked his magic in this manner on their previous album "We're Here Becuase We're Here". I would say this is more melancholic and majestic when compared to their previous studio album. There's less light but man the atmosphere and majesty is awe-inspiring. It really is hard for me to keep my emotions in check while listening to this record.

"Crestfallen" might be my favourite track on here. The sad piano melodies to start and when it kicks in with drums, guitar and orchestra it's so emotional. Lee comes in vocally and as usual she sounds so beautiful. She sings "Falling deeper" over and over. "Sleep In Sanity" is so atmospheric, beautiful and powerful as male and female vocals arrive. My God ! It settles right down late and blends into "Kingdom". Just incredible. It's building as vocals come in. A haunting atmosphere ends it. Three drop dead gorgeous songs in a row. "They Die" is the shortest tune at just over 2 minutes. More of the same really but i'm not complaining as we get orchestral beauty and piano. Such a powerful soundscape. "Everwake" features the vocals of Anneke formally of THE GATHERING. And yes she's my favourite female vocalist, making this song feel like a dream. Beautiful melancholy as Anneke comes in in a reserved manner.

"J'ai Fait Une Promesse" has sparse piano then the strings take over. So peaceful and beautiful. There's a glimpse of light late. "Alone" is acoustic guitar-led gloom. It's fuller and almost haunting after 2 minutes then Lee comes in vocally. It settles right down with acoustic guitar again. Rain and thunder arrives then it's building before 5 minutes. Vocals are back with the rain and thunder to end it. "We The Gods" is uplifting with strings and piano. "Sunset Of Age" is gorgeous to start as male vocals come in. It kicks in after a minute as contrasts continue. The guitar lights it up late. Nice. What a song !

I must say i'm blown away by this even if these are older songs being given a modern makeover.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#741802) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2012

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Anathema goes grandiose and exaltedly symphonic on this release, the target being a reworking of older songs and fitting them into a massive orchestral glow that is simply put, irresistible! Their usual gloomy veneer has been coated with a colossal melancholia with torrents of effective symphony strings courtesy of the London Session Orchestra. Accordingly, this evolving group of musicians search out new sonic horizons, eschewing any formulaic approach to their discography and boldly take their craft to new heights. This is a most welcome philosophy for it underlines a definite progressive tendency to constantly alter their scope and hone their artistic vision, unafraid to experiment and rejoice in the results. Being relatively new to the Anathema phenomenon (the masterful "Judgement" is what sucked me in), I need to visit their past discography but with music of such sheer beauty, I have no wish to run too fast , helter-skelter. I know I will get there. In the meantime, the aura of grandiose ennui becomes evident on "Crestfallen", a perfect title of a perfect song expertly portrayed amid a wave of crushing symphonicity. It segues directly into "Sleep in Sanity" a downright killer track, wielded by a sensational female wailing by Lee Douglas , while the three Cavanagh boys really lay it on thick and creamy, as befitting such a spectral arrangement. "Kingdom" wallows wildly in a steamy, delirious and yet consistent aural mist, emotionally charged and breathtaking. "They Die" is short but oh so bittersweet! The most glorious 2 minute piece you have ever heard. "Everwake" is a stunning slice of Annike van Giersbergen (The Gathering), a wonderfully adept vocalist, specializing in the fragile/powerful arsenal of pipes. She can howl, wail and sing with total ease. When a piano lulls you into an orchestra of trembling strings, how can you not melt? "J'ai Fait Une Promesse" is such a highlight then! Melancholic restraint. Desperate gorgeousness. "Alone" is cinematographically creepy by comparison, acoustic guitar gloom and despondence invade the air with morbid intensity (lack thereof, actually) until Lee swerves into our ears, screeching some distressed plea, the relentless plucking strings of the forlorn acoustic guitar weeping in the foreground. Thunderstorm effects add to the murkiness, Lee doing an encore wail and figuratively ushering the funeral choir forward. Chilling to be alone for some. "We the Gods" is another piano and string cameo that meanders along, unobtrusively carving an elegant route. "Sunset of Age" ends this voyage on an uplifting note, massive strings shepherd in some irresistible male and female vocals, a steady beat and a thunderous chorus. The violins are stupendous, a dazzling foray into the senses confused by all the contrast and the stop and go rhythm, the piano refereeing the crew, putting them into a resemblance of order. Yes, the music is that powerful and evocative, yet treated in a classical way. Wow!. Their material is ideally suited for this kind of overhaul, hence it's successful! The screeching guitar twining with the strings is exemplary, proving they are damn fine musicians to boot. A triumph of adventure, courage and musical vision

This is a petite one, barely a half hour of music but quite a stellar performance. Brief album, brief review.

4.5 drowning tears

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#750674) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2012

Review by Gatot
3 stars I'm not quite sure when I first listened to Anathema. But for sure, I like their music especially when they already made the music like this 'Falling Deeper' album. For me personally, it's quite a break to enjoy this kind of non-complex arrangements kind of music even though the nuance is quite dark. Look at the opening instrumental "Crestfallen" which flows nicely in slow tempo using piano fills as its main melody, followed seamlessly with "Sleep In Sanity" (6:43) that features vocal. The string orchestration at the background is also nice. The melody line is handled by vocal followed with long sustain synthesizer - it's a very cool opening track.

The next track 'Kingdom' (3:59) is still in dark mood with an ambient intro combining string arrangements followed with piano touch and vocal - everything is performed in relatively slow tempo. Even though different in music style, when I am listening to this track I associate the nuance created is somewhat similar with the music of Tangerine Dream. This composition relies heavily on orchestration at the background. 'Sunset Of Age' (7:32) starts slowly with piano touch followed with background music that moves slowly in crescendo. It then moves smoothly to "Everwake" (3:09) with acoustic guitar fills followed with female vocal line. It's a peaceful music offering, really.

Overall, I really enjoy this kind of music offering by Anathema in "Falling Deeper". The music moves nicely from one segment to another in relatively slow moving fashion predominantly demonstrated by nice background music with synthesizer and orchestration. It requires patient to enjoy it as you won't get any uptempo style here with this album. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#884759) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 31, 2012

5 stars Though I only own Anathema's music catalogue from Natural Disasters to the present, my feelings with regards to their music has remained fairly constant. I love their sound, I love their spiritually-minded lyrical messages, I love the flow and feel of their records, I just find their song-writ ... (read more)

Report this review (#1074386) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Saturday, November 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 9.5/10 An experience so ethereal and transcendental, whose words may not be enough to describe it. To someone that is completely in love with the music, always charm me when I hear something that not only makes a good impression as the musical quality, but promotes an even deeper, going beyond ... (read more)

Report this review (#1009498) | Posted by voliveira | Thursday, August 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Here is new anathema comp with older songs done in classical arrangement. One my all time fave bands,They have shift from doom metal over years to more post rock ambient. With some math rock tendencies i love orchestral arangments on this disc short disc but good. highlight songs- alone-7 min ... (read more)

Report this review (#511310) | Posted by scepter | Monday, August 29, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANATHEMA "Falling Deeper"