FALLING DEEPER

Experimental/Post Metal

Anathema Falling Deeper album cover

Buy ANATHEMA Music
Studio Album, released in 2011

1. Crestfallen / Sleep In Sanity (6:43)
2. Kingdom (3:59)
3. They Die (2:20)
4. Sunset Of Age (7:32)
5. Everwake (3:09)
6. We The Gods (3:00)
7. I Made A Promise (4:10)
8. Alone (6:36)

- John Douglas / percussion, keyboards, guitars
- Lee Douglas / female vocals
- Les Smith / keyboards

Guest musicians:
- Anneke van Giersbergen / vocals (5)
- Dave Stewart / arrangements

Release date: September 5, 2011
Label: Kscope Records

Thanks to progshine for the addition
and to progshine for the last updates

ANATHEMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANATHEMA Falling Deeper Music

Remastered · Extra tracks
Peaceville UK 2004
We're Here Because We're HereWe're Here Because We're Here
The End Records 2011
Falling Deeper by Anathema (CD, Sep-2011, Icarus/Kscope) US $7.00 Buy It Now 33m 7s
UNIVERSAL THEORY Mystery Timeline CD Tiamat Anathema Type O Negative Therion US $10.49 Buy It Now 1h 52m
ANATHEMA - ORIGINAL ALBUM CLASSICS NEW CD US $21.39 Buy It Now 6h 12m
Opeth - Orchid FIRST PRESS BLUE CD 1995!!! Katatonia, Alcest, Anathema, Agalloch US $22.00 [0 bids]
cd-album, Anathema - A Fine Day To Exit US $8.55 Buy It Now 11h 53m
ANATHEMA - UNIVERSAL (+DVD) NEW CD US $25.43 Buy It Now 12h 38m
DARK TRANQUILLITY Of Chaos and Eternal Night LP New! NOTVD LTD 157/500 ANATHEMA US $30.00 Buy It Now 16h 28m
PARADISE LOST In Requiem LP Sealed! MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA TIAMAT THERION OPETH US $30.00 Buy It Now 17h 10m
ANATHEMA Serenades 180gm Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $30.91 Buy It Now 17h 46m
Desolation - The Stone Oracles CD Opeth Anathema Carcass US $3.26 [0 bids]
VENOM TRIBUTE-IN THE NAME OF SATAN,1994 PRESS WITH SODOM,KREATOR,VOIVOD,ANATHEMA US $49.99 Buy It Now 19h 38m
ANATHEMA a natural disaster CD SEALED Original MUSIC FOR NATIONS 298 US $15.00 [0 bids]
Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes / Black Winter Day Anathema Katatonia US $6.99 [0 bids]
Anathema-Eternity cd Fierce Recordings Anathema Eternity cd Mayhem Records 1997 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Anathema-Serenades cd Anathema-Serenades + Extra Tracks US $14.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA "Hindsight" 2LP 2014, Kscope 859 (Vinyl w/ Screen Print D-Side) US $33.00 Buy It Now 1 day
therion theli catatonia anathema amon amarth lamb of god enslaved deicide cancer US $13.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - UNIVERSAL, ORG 2013 EU CD + DVD SET, NEW - SEALED! US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Silent Enigma CD US $17.91 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - PENTECOST III [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $16.96 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA A FINE DAY TO EXIT CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $163.09 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA A FINE DAY TO EXIT CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P!! US $146.78 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA WEATHER SYSYEMS CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $163.09 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA WERE HERE BECAUSE WERE HERE CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $163.09 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA JUDGEMENT CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P!! US $146.78 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA WEATHER SYSTEMS CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P!! US $146.78 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA WERE HERE BECAUSE WERE HERE CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P!! US $146.78 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA NATURAL DISASTER CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $146.78 Buy It Now 1 day
Venom Tribute Kreator Sodom Anathema paradise Lost Voivod Skyclad US $9.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - UNTOUCHABLE NEW VINYL US $42.11 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - RESONANCE [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $10.28 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema "Hindsight" CD (Kscope/Snapper Music, 2008) **Free Shipping** US $16.89 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA "THEY DIE / CRESTFALLEN" 7"EP. Cat.WIHU9205 LIMITED FIRST EDITION US $65.00 [0 bids]
Pentecost III/Crestfallen by Anathema (CD, Aug-1997, Fierce) US $11.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - THE SILENT ENIGMA - BLACK VINYL - 2 LP record US $40.22 Buy It Now 1 day
LEGACY MAGAZINE W/CD EMPEROR Therion SINISTER Enslaved AETERNUS Anathema US $4.99 [0 bids]
Resonance, Vol. 2 Promo [ECD] by Anathema (CD, Apr-2002, Peaceville Records RARE US $9.99 [0 bids]
Leafblade - The Kiss of Spirit and Flesh CD 2013 progressive Anathema KScope US $16.95 Buy It Now 2 days
GATHERING Always SEALED ORIGNAL anathema DOOM METAL Theatre Of Tragedy KATATONIA US $8.00 [0 bids]
Universal - Anathema US $13.74 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - DISTANT SATELLITES NEW CD US $19.92 Buy It Now 2 days
WHISPERING GALLERY - Shades of Sorrow DIGI CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA -DISTANT SATELLITES-JAPAN CD BLU-RAY AUDIO Ltd/Ed I98 zd US $44.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE 2x LP HEAVY VINYL LIMITED NUMBERED SEALED US $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema Weather Systems cd US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
AMORPHIS Am universum G/F LP 2013 anathema in flames opeth nightwish sentenced US $31.99 [0 bids]
AMORPHIS Tuonela G/F LP 2013 anathema my dying bride in flames opeth nightwish US $31.99 [0 bids]
AMORPHIS Am universum G/F LP Green Vinyl 2013 anathema in flames opeth nightwish US $33.99 [0 bids]
LID - In The Mushroom +1 ['02] '97 DIGIPAK (TROUBLE & ANATHEMA) FACTORY SEALED US $44.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Untouchable - Anathema New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $37.65 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA A FINE DAY TO EXIT CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $146.78 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - ETERNITY - CDVILED64 US $14.47 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Pentecost 3 [Vinyl New] US $36.13 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Serenades [Vinyl New] US $37.74 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - Alternative 4 - LP Black Vinyl Record - 1st Edition US $25.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - SERENADES (180GM) NEW VINYL US $53.19 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - PENTECOST 3 (180GM) NEW VINYL US $53.19 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA THE SILENT ENIGMA SPECIAL UKR. EDITION ODYSSEY DOOM METAL US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA"Pentecost III"cd Peaceville 95,Paradise Lost,My dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA-Resonance CD NEW US $13.29 Buy It Now 3 days
KATATONIA - Dance of December Souls 1993 No Fashion 1st Press ORG opeth anathema US $15.99 [0 bids]
KATATONIA - For Funerals to Come 1995 Avantgarde ORG opeth october tide anathema US $13.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - SILENT ENIGMA (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
on thorns I lay - angeldust, katatonia october tide anathema saturnus alcest fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
on thorns I lay - future narcotic, katatonia anathema saturnus alcest slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
sleepless - winds blow higher, agalloch katatonia anathema opeth manes alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
far from mind - breakpoint 33', drudkh alcest anathema katatonia ulver agalloch US $5.99 [0 bids]
the loveless - star rover, bay laurel saturnus him tristania anathema slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
SUBSTANCE FOR GOD Assembly of Flowers CD Mega Rare Doom Metal MDB Anathema 1993 US $25.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Thrash of Naked Limbs 1993 Peaceville 1st Press ORG anathema US $18.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - I Am the Bloody Earth 1994 Peaceville 1st Press ORG anathema US $9.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA -DISTANT SATELLITES-JAPAN CD F30 US $28.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Silent Enigma [Bonus Tracks] [Digipak] by Anathema (CD, May-2003,... US $7.84 Buy It Now 3 days
fragile hollow - effete mind, saturnus anathema katatonia tiamat to die for him US $5.99 [0 bids]
IN GREY - Liyah (CD 2006) Swedish Doom Gothic Metal Rare OOP Anathema Autumn US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE FORESHADOWING Second World DIGIPAK KATATONIA ANATHEMA PARADISE LOST US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - The Silent Enigma first press lp vinyl my dying bride katatonia US $59.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Eternity Vinyl Record LP US $37.73 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Judgement CD - Near Mint US $10.72 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema- We`re Here Because We`re Here - KSCOPE145 US $18.82 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA - DISTANT SATELLITES - KSCOPE302 US $18.81 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA the silent enigma JAPAN CD OBI SEALED K1 US $16.99 [0 bids]
KATATONIA Dethroned & Uncrowne BIG POSTER !!! Marillion/Steven Wilson/Anathema US $5.55 Buy It Now 3 days
AMORPHIS POSTER !!!!!! Powerwolf/Insomnium/Paradise Lost/My Dying Bride/Anathema US $5.55 Buy It Now 3 days
OPETH fantastic POSTER ! Pineapple Thief/Katatonia/Anathema/Threshopld/Enchant US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Blood Divine - Rise Pantheon Dreams (Digi CD 2002) New! Anathema US $1.61 Buy It Now 3 days
ALTERNATIVE 4 The Brink DIGIPAK ANATHEMA ANTIMATTER ION US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema A Fine Day To Exit CD 2006 used NM / NM Sony BMG Music For Nations US $6.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema Judgement CD 2006 used NM / NM Sony BMG Music For Nations [82876828532] US $6.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA WEATHER SYSTEMS SEALED CD NEW 2012 US $5.26 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA - UNIVERSAL - KSCOPE266 US $21.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Silent Enigma [CD New] US $10.30 Buy It Now 3 days
60 House Trance Techno Vinyl Records 12" - DJ, CDJ, 1000, 1200, Tiesto, Morales US $9.77 Buy It Now 3 days
Weather Systems - Anathema New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $17.36 Buy It Now 3 days
anathema serenades t shirt doom metal death paradise lost ulver my dying bride US $16.66 Buy It Now 3 days
anathema serenades t shirt doom metal death paradise lost ulver my dying bride US $19.66 Buy It Now 3 days
Out There The Future of Prog Rock Asia Nektar Anathema Cave In IQ Blackfield US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy ANATHEMA music online Buy ANATHEMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANATHEMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANATHEMA Falling Deeper ratings distribution

ANATHEMA Falling Deeper reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Falling Deeper' - Anathema (8/10)

Anathema first re-recorded unplugged versions of their existing music with the album 'Hindsight'. Contrary to my expectations, I not only loved that album, but it became one of my favourite albums from this former doom, now-atmospheric rock group. Like most of my most loved modern artists, this is a band that keeps doing brilliant new things, and the second 'unplugged' release from these Liverpudlians proves that they have nowhere near exhausted their passion for making some of the most emotive music in recent times. Instead of merely doing a sequel to 'Hindsight', 'Falling Deeper' does something rather different. Anathema's latest sees them mellow out their music like never before, now to the point of being rightfully called ambient music. Although the turbulence of these doom classics has been squeezed out of them, they are now more beautiful and touching than ever.

In place of guitars or drums, Anathema rely mostly on gentle piano, and a fully realized string section to bring these new renditions to life. 'Hindsight' certainly changed most of its songs up into something new, but they were always recognizable in relation to the core material. 'Falling Deeper' is such a radical departure from the death-doom metal style that most of the songs here bear only a slight resemblance to the originals, to the point where one could even call this album a set of fresh material that pays homage to their early work over anything else. To call 'Falling Deeper' 'unplugged' would be misleading, seeing as the arrangements here are generally more complex than the originals, which were mostly led on by one or two guitars. The strings and piano instantly create a template with which to create some beautiful music, and Anathema do not disappoint. Each track here is very moving in a cinematic sense, and there is even a running flow to the music that assures the listener that once they fall into the trance of the music, they won't be roused out of it by some out-of-place track break.

There are vocals here as well from the Cavanagh brothers, as well as well-known Dutch vocalit Anneke Van Giersbergen, who coincidentally ranks among my favourite female singers. As opposed to letting the vocals take run with melodies, they are instead used almost as if the voices were no more an instrument than the violins or piano. The highlight 'Kingdom' is perfectly indicative of this, with soothing vocals doing more for the texture of the music, rather than taking hold of the listener's attention. This is most definitely ambient music, and that can also mean it is not something that is necessarily going to mesh with every whim and occasion. This is romantic, beautiful, soothing music to put on while either relaxing and reflecting, and to that extent, I may not like the homogeneity of this release over something like 'Hindsight', or one of the brilliant full-lengths they have done recently. For what it lacks in dynamic or variety though, Anathema nails down the one angle they aim for here, and once again, I have fallen in love with the music this group makes.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#560736) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 01, 2011

4 stars "Falling Deeper" sees the band completely re-arranging some of their oldest tracks from 1992 to 1995 when they were known as a Doom Metal band. The nine tracks are taken from two EPs ("Pentecost II & "Crestfallen") and two full length records ("Serenades" & "The Silent Enigma"). So yes this is quite different from the "Hindsight" album where they simply re-recorded later songs in that unplugged or acoustic format. Which is why "Hindsight" is listed here under "Compilation Albums" and "Falling Deeper" is looked at as a new recording. Also "Falling Deeper" is not an unplugged recording at all. Unless you were told, or knew the lyrics, these songs bear little to no resemblance to what they once were. The LONDON SESSION ORCHESTRA adds their talents to these tracks and Dave Stewart is the one who arranged these orchestral movements. Dave also worked his magic in this manner on their previous album "We're Here Becuase We're Here". I would say this is more melancholic and majestic when compared to their previous studio album. There's less light but man the atmosphere and majesty is awe-inspiring. It really is hard for me to keep my emotions in check while listening to this record.

"Crestfallen" might be my favourite track on here. The sad piano melodies to start and when it kicks in with drums, guitar and orchestra it's so emotional. Lee comes in vocally and as usual she sounds so beautiful. She sings "Falling deeper" over and over. "Sleep In Sanity" is so atmospheric, beautiful and powerful as male and female vocals arrive. My God ! It settles right down late and blends into "Kingdom". Just incredible. It's building as vocals come in. A haunting atmosphere ends it. Three drop dead gorgeous songs in a row. "They Die" is the shortest tune at just over 2 minutes. More of the same really but i'm not complaining as we get orchestral beauty and piano. Such a powerful soundscape. "Everwake" features the vocals of Anneke formally of THE GATHERING. And yes she's my favourite female vocalist, making this song feel like a dream. Beautiful melancholy as Anneke comes in in a reserved manner.

"J'ai Fait Une Promesse" has sparse piano then the strings take over. So peaceful and beautiful. There's a glimpse of light late. "Alone" is acoustic guitar-led gloom. It's fuller and almost haunting after 2 minutes then Lee comes in vocally. It settles right down with acoustic guitar again. Rain and thunder arrives then it's building before 5 minutes. Vocals are back with the rain and thunder to end it. "We The Gods" is uplifting with strings and piano. "Sunset Of Age" is gorgeous to start as male vocals come in. It kicks in after a minute as contrasts continue. The guitar lights it up late. Nice. What a song !

I must say i'm blown away by this even if these are older songs being given a modern makeover.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#741802) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2012

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Anathema goes grandiose and exaltedly symphonic on this release, the target being a reworking of older songs and fitting them into a massive orchestral glow that is simply put, irresistible! Their usual gloomy veneer has been coated with a colossal melancholia with torrents of effective symphony strings courtesy of the London Session Orchestra. Accordingly, this evolving group of musicians search out new sonic horizons, eschewing any formulaic approach to their discography and boldly take their craft to new heights. This is a most welcome philosophy for it underlines a definite progressive tendency to constantly alter their scope and hone their artistic vision, unafraid to experiment and rejoice in the results. Being relatively new to the Anathema phenomenon (the masterful "Judgement" is what sucked me in), I need to visit their past discography but with music of such sheer beauty, I have no wish to run too fast , helter-skelter. I know I will get there. In the meantime, the aura of grandiose ennui becomes evident on "Crestfallen", a perfect title of a perfect song expertly portrayed amid a wave of crushing symphonicity. It segues directly into "Sleep in Sanity" a downright killer track, wielded by a sensational female wailing by Lee Douglas , while the three Cavanagh boys really lay it on thick and creamy, as befitting such a spectral arrangement. "Kingdom" wallows wildly in a steamy, delirious and yet consistent aural mist, emotionally charged and breathtaking. "They Die" is short but oh so bittersweet! The most glorious 2 minute piece you have ever heard. "Everwake" is a stunning slice of Annike van Giersbergen (The Gathering), a wonderfully adept vocalist, specializing in the fragile/powerful arsenal of pipes. She can howl, wail and sing with total ease. When a piano lulls you into an orchestra of trembling strings, how can you not melt? "J'ai Fait Une Promesse" is such a highlight then! Melancholic restraint. Desperate gorgeousness. "Alone" is cinematographically creepy by comparison, acoustic guitar gloom and despondence invade the air with morbid intensity (lack thereof, actually) until Lee swerves into our ears, screeching some distressed plea, the relentless plucking strings of the forlorn acoustic guitar weeping in the foreground. Thunderstorm effects add to the murkiness, Lee doing an encore wail and figuratively ushering the funeral choir forward. Chilling to be alone for some. "We the Gods" is another piano and string cameo that meanders along, unobtrusively carving an elegant route. "Sunset of Age" ends this voyage on an uplifting note, massive strings shepherd in some irresistible male and female vocals, a steady beat and a thunderous chorus. The violins are stupendous, a dazzling foray into the senses confused by all the contrast and the stop and go rhythm, the piano refereeing the crew, putting them into a resemblance of order. Yes, the music is that powerful and evocative, yet treated in a classical way. Wow!. Their material is ideally suited for this kind of overhaul, hence it's successful! The screeching guitar twining with the strings is exemplary, proving they are damn fine musicians to boot. A triumph of adventure, courage and musical vision

This is a petite one, barely a half hour of music but quite a stellar performance. Brief album, brief review.

4.5 drowning tears

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#750674) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2012

Review by Gatot
3 stars I'm not quite sure when I first listened to Anathema. But for sure, I like their music especially when they already made the music like this 'Falling Deeper' album. For me personally, it's quite a break to enjoy this kind of non-complex arrangements kind of music even though the nuance is quite dark. Look at the opening instrumental "Crestfallen" which flows nicely in slow tempo using piano fills as its main melody, followed seamlessly with "Sleep In Sanity" (6:43) that features vocal. The string orchestration at the background is also nice. The melody line is handled by vocal followed with long sustain synthesizer - it's a very cool opening track.

The next track 'Kingdom' (3:59) is still in dark mood with an ambient intro combining string arrangements followed with piano touch and vocal - everything is performed in relatively slow tempo. Even though different in music style, when I am listening to this track I associate the nuance created is somewhat similar with the music of Tangerine Dream. This composition relies heavily on orchestration at the background. 'Sunset Of Age' (7:32) starts slowly with piano touch followed with background music that moves slowly in crescendo. It then moves smoothly to "Everwake" (3:09) with acoustic guitar fills followed with female vocal line. It's a peaceful music offering, really.

Overall, I really enjoy this kind of music offering by Anathema in "Falling Deeper". The music moves nicely from one segment to another in relatively slow moving fashion predominantly demonstrated by nice background music with synthesizer and orchestration. It requires patient to enjoy it as you won't get any uptempo style here with this album. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#884759) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 31, 2012

5 stars Though I only own Anathema's music catalogue from Natural Disasters to the present, my feelings with regards to their music has remained fairly constant. I love their sound, I love their spiritually-minded lyrical messages, I love the flow and feel of their records, I just find their song-writ ... (read more)

Report this review (#1074386) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Saturday, November 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 9.5/10 An experience so ethereal and transcendental, whose words may not be enough to describe it. To someone that is completely in love with the music, always charm me when I hear something that not only makes a good impression as the musical quality, but promotes an even deeper, going beyond ... (read more)

Report this review (#1009498) | Posted by voliveira | Thursday, August 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Here is new anathema comp with older songs done in classical arrangement. One my all time fave bands,They have shift from doom metal over years to more post rock ambient. With some math rock tendencies i love orchestral arangments on this disc short disc but good. highlight songs- alone-7 min ... (read more)

Report this review (#511310) | Posted by scepter | Monday, August 29, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANATHEMA "Falling Deeper"