COUNTER CULTURE

Roy Harper Counter Culture album cover

Buy ROY HARPER Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2005

CD One
1. Sophisticated Beggar (5:05)
2. You Don't Need Money (2:25)
3. Francesca (1:20)
4. I Hate the White Man (8:02)
5. Another Day (4:01)
6. The Same Old Rock (12:24)
7. Me and My Woman (13:01)
8. South Africa (4:06)
9. I'll See You Again (4:58)
10. Twelve Hours of Sunset (4:49)
11. Forget Me Not (2:24)
12. Hallucinating Light (6:23)
13. When an Old Cricketer Leavesthe Crease (7:13)

CD Two
1. One of Those Days in England, Pts. 2-10 (19:13)
2. These Last Days (4:26)
3. Cherishing the Lonesome (5:57)
4. The Flycatcher (4:08)
5. You (featuring Kate Bush) (4:37)
6. Frozen Moment (3:16)
7. Pinches of Salt (3:06)
8. Miles Remains (8:52)
9. Evening Star (6:04)
10. I Wanna Be in Love (5:59)
11. The Green Man (5:31)
12. Blackpool (Extract) (2:25)

Search ROY HARPER Counter Culture lyrics

Search ROY HARPER Counter Culture tabs

- Roy Harper / vocals, guitars
- collaborators on some tracks, e.g. David Bedford

Science Friction # 39.

Thanks to Matti for the addition

ROY HARPER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ROY HARPER Counter Culture Music

Counter CultureCounter Culture
Science Friction 2005

More places to buy ROY HARPER music online Buy ROY HARPER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ROY HARPER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROY HARPER Counter Culture ratings distribution

ROY HARPER Counter Culture reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars Sometimes a compilation works much better than single albums. I had listened to some of Roy Harper's albums before, but this 2-CD made me really appreciate him. This musician has always been reluctant of being popular, and Counter Culture is a very fitting title. I guess many of us have first heard him singing lead vocals of 'Have A Cigar' on Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here album (in fact I only later learned the name of the singer; as a teenager I probably thought it was Waters...). His output from mid-60's to this Millennium is vast, and perhaps to some degree uneven, so I'm probably not the only one here who after hearing just one or two albums haven't been enthusiastic about him. Or is it just my taste grown warmer towards the man & guitar artists utilising minimal arrangement?

That's what Harper is, basically. Voice and acoustic guitar (most of the tracks don't have any other musicians), and yet he's far from the folk troubadours like Donovan or Tim Hardin. First of all, his sound is much deeper and exciting than one would expect. Maybe it's the way it is recorded. He also is, to a certain degree, a progressive artist (with some long compositions to his credit, featured here too), unlike folk singers in general. Tim Buckley is one of the few exceptions beside Harper (and John Martyn, whom I got to know better at the same time and therefor closely associate him with Harper).00

This set represents Harper at his best, covering over four decades. His first recordings are somewhat rougher folk but quite soon he developed a mellower sound with a strong echo feel. His voice reminds a bit of Peter Hammill's softer side. Highlights are too numerous to mention! I can listen to these discs completely without getting bored. 'When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease' is a melancholic ballad Roger Waters might have written. 'You' is a duet with Kate Bush and is also otherwise one of the fullest track in sound - which doesn't necessarily make it one of the best tracks. But if you're interested in this artist, there's no better place to start than this set.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#504706) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Post a review of ROY HARPER "Counter Culture"