PAPER MONKEYS

Ozric Tentacles Paper Monkeys album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy OZRIC TENTACLES Music
Studio Album, released in 2011

1. Attack Of The Vapours (5:22)
2. Lemon Kush (6:15)
3. Flying Machines (6:26)
4. Knurl (6:08)
5. Lost In The Sky (7:20)
6. Paper Monkeys (7:17)
7. Plowm (7:52)
8. Will Of The Wisps 10:42)
9. Air City (3:53)

- Silas Neptune Wynne / synths
- Ollie Seagle / drums

CD Snapper Music / CD Mad Fish Music - MADF159792

Thanks to petersen88 for the addition

OZRIC TENTACLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy OZRIC TENTACLES Paper Monkeys Music

Paper MonkeysPaper Monkeys
Madfish Records UK 2011

More places to buy OZRIC TENTACLES music online Buy OZRIC TENTACLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for OZRIC TENTACLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

OZRIC TENTACLES Paper Monkeys ratings distribution

OZRIC TENTACLES Paper Monkeys reviews

Review by J-Man
3 stars With their origins dating back to the early eighties, England's Ozric Tentacles have garnered a reputation as one of progressive rock's most unique psychedelic acts. Their one-of-a-kind mix of trippy psychedelic aesthetics, electronic instrumentation, fusion-inspired compositions, and spaced-out atmospheres has also earned them a fairly large group of followers and a relevant place in the modern progressive scene. Like them or not, Ozric Tentacles are an unignorable force in the modern experimental music world, and Paper Monkeys further secures their spot as a band worthy of your attention. Though I've only sporadically listened to previous Ozric Tentacles albums, I like what I hear on Paper Monkeys and it will only be a matter of time before I more thoroughly investigate their music.

On Paper Monkeys you'll find an upbeat, psychedelic, electronic-fused brand of instrumental space rock that's pretty similar to what the band did on 2009's The Yumyum Tree. The music here is characterized by spacey synth tones, funky basslines, jazzy drumming, and lots of quirky psychedelic aesthetics. For anyone even mildly acquainted with Ozric Tentacles (especially their more recent efforts), Paper Monkeys shouldn't come as a terrible shock. What we have here is the band doing what they do best - delivering music that's atmospheric and soothing, yet still complex and fun to listen to. All of the tunes here are pretty solid, with songs like "Knurl" (I love the sitar on this track), "Lost in the Sky", the title track, and "Will of the Wisps" standing out as highlights. The musicianship is seldom too demanding, but it's always professional and well-played. Ed Wynne's fretwork is especially impressive - that man simply knows how to play with soul and spot-on precision, and that's exactly what I look for from a great guitarist. The production took a little while for me to get used to on Paper Monkeys, but the somewhat electronic sound did eventually grow on me to the point where I consider this a perfect fit for the compositions on this album.

Paper Monkeys may not be a drop-dead gorgeous masterpiece, but it's a very solid observation to add to Ozric Tentacles' canon. I really have had a pleasure experiencing this album, and even though it occasionally fades into background music, I still have a difficult time calling Paper Monkeys anything less than a successful effort. I'd say Paper Monkeys is well deserving of a solid 3.5 stars, as well as a warm recommendation. Fans of the band, as well as psychedelic rock in general, will definitely want to put this one on their wishlists.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#580721) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 02, 2011

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Here is an instrumental album to shove on at a late hour and just sit back, headphones attached, your brain sandwiched in between, and just let yourself be immersed in sonic psychedelic bliss. I have no idea where one track ends and another begins because it just flows so beautifully along. At times the music is techno fast tempo and features electric guitar and effects. At other times there is an ambience of sweet keyboards and electro percussion with deep bass resonances that envelop the ear canals.

I am no stranger to what the Ozrics are capable of having heard many times their early material such as Erpland, Jurassic Shift, Waterfall Cities, The Spiral Galaxy one, The Arborescence one and that more recent The Yum Tum Tree. In every case the music is a dynamic journey into sensory sound; evoking strong images and emotions every time. There is always a psychedelic spaciness and at times I hear smidgens of Kraftwerk, Hawkwind, and The Ovals. However Ozrics have their own sound and it is a bright multi layered form of space rock without the vocals.

This latest album Paper Monkeys, is certainly a well performed piece of uplifting music, there is not a bad moment on it. Having said that I feel that it is not as creative or memorable as some of the compositions on Erpland or Jurassic Shift. I am always blown away by the inventiveness on those gems and this latest effort really misses the mark. It is nice to sit under the warm rays of Attack Of The Vapours or Will Of The Wisps and the final track Air City is really a master work, but for me the album as a whole does not measure up to the excellent standard I have heard before from Ozric Tentacles.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#625944) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 04, 2012

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
3 stars The Ozric Tentacles have been mixing proggy psychedelic instrumental rock with world elements, electronics and modern dance influences for almost 30 years now, with `Erpland', `Jurassic Shift' and `Waterfall Cities' being their most artistically successful and musically defining albums - to my ears anyway! In between those albums are a stack of accomplished and high-quality releases, but it's only every few albums where the band seems to take a big step forward and push themselves in a new and exciting direction. After a few decent but by-the-numbers releases in a row, I'd secretly hoped `Paper Monkeys' was going to be the `next big one' for them. Instead, we get a very accomplished but also very typical Ozrics album, with a handful of terrific pieces and a bunch of decent ones.

`Attack Of The Vapours' gets things off to a great start. After a noisy tribal-drum assault with Ed Wynne's wailing electric guitar, the track falls into an addictive programmed drum n' bass workout full of floating synths. It's pretty straightforward, without the usual Ozrics schizophrenic approach, instead being surprisingly focused and to-the-point. One of my more favourite recent Ozrics tracks!

Shimmering electric piano, relentless bass and a soaring melodic electric guitar melody/solo weave through `Lost In The Sky'. The synth melody diversions and gurgling keys throughout are very pleasing, as well as the final keyboard solo from Silas Wynne, plus there's lots of furious drumming from Ollie Seagle too. Very uplifting, and sure to put you in a great mood.

The kicking title track is like a classic riff-heavy older Ozrics track with a very shredding electric solo running through most of the piece, busy drums, repetitive maddening bass and a quirky synth heavy middle section! Heaps of energy on what will probably be the favourite track on the album for many fans.

The first half of the ten-minute `The Will Of The Wisps' has a subtle and breezy Ash-Ra influence, as gentle percussion and electronics float along on clouds of musical bliss. A groovier second half with more commanding drums, heavier electronics and noisy guitars changes the mood to something a little more tense. In many ways, it's the most subtle thing on the album, yet it makes the biggest impression.

The rest of the album is made up of a number of worthwhile but typical Ozric workouts. There's lots of positivity on the bouncy `Lemon Kush', with liquid bass from Brandi (wished it was mixed just a little louder!), good mix of programmed and busy live drum-work, plus lovely glissando and a killer funky guitar solo from Ed. Shimmering synth waves and middle eastern guitar sounds throughout `Flying Machines', I love the thunderstorm behind the Tangerine Dream-like synthscape in the middle, while the very alien atmosphere joined with ethnic acoustic guitar and tribal drumbeats is highly intoxicating. `Knurl' begins with gorgeous deep and thick bass, but soon joined by a catchy dubby synth melody that drifts through most of the track, giving it a very light and airy feel. A ragged electric guitar solo in the middle and plenty of varied drumming throughout. `Plowm' sets up the opening few seconds as a drifting Ash-Ra piece before heavy programmed drums, funky bass and harsh guitar solos invade the track. The shimmering and phasing synth melodies throughout are very tasteful, too. The album ends on the short but sweet `Air City' that has an almost thoughtful and reflective tone, sounding like something from one of the Pierre Moerlin `Gong' albums with it's use of xylophone.

Although full of the usual colourful swirling synth solos, spacey electric guitar solos and grooving bass, much of the music itself feels a little like the band are just going through the same motions that they've been going through on all their albums since 2004's `Spirals In Hyperspace'. There's still an over-reliance on programming, especially with the beats, although this album seems to feature the most live drum-work for many albums, which gives the music a punchier and livelier sound. Admittedly the album has plenty of addictive arrangements and frequently catchy melodies, and if someone were to hear the Ozrics for the first time with `Paper Monkeys', I think they'd find endless exciting ideas and interesting sounds on it. For established fans, it's more a case of being `another fine quality Ozrics album' to throw on the shelf next to their other ones, without the real magic that makes their best albums stand out. Meanwhile, we'll keep waiting for that `next big one' the band surely still have in them.

Nice cover, too, that looks especially striking and clever on the vinyl release!

Send comments to Aussie-Byrd-Brother (BETA) | Report this review (#832214) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Review by obiter
3 stars OK so I'm a fan converted after seeing the Ozrics in the late 80s while at university in England (after being played some tapes by a mate I've been hooked ... thanks Seb). For the uninitiated Ozrics are THE spacerock band bar none. For me they define the genre.

How does this compare with the classic sound?

Lemon Kush: more upbeat, trendier, maybe dancier. Flying Machines has plenty of Ed Wynne's riffs that would grace if not embarrass the more self-aggrandizing lead metal guitarists. Plowm (not pwned) is perhaps the most typically Ozrics track.

Lost in the Sky has a dreamy swirling nature, mixing throbbing bass with genuine edgy lead guitars and somehow having psychedelic keyboards. Classic Ozrics. Excellent. Nothing new but, hey, if it ain't broke.

So for the Ozrics aficionados why add this one to our expanding collection? Simples: The Will of the Wisps. Worth the purchase on it's own (and now with the wonders of the interweb thingy you can get it on its own): dreamy (one of the great bass lines .. wafting keyboards, bubbles, delicately mixed acoustic, then about 5 mins in "the change": simply picks up, changes the rhythm, bass line changes, muted guitar; by 7 mins in it's grooving in such a mesmeric way that it's almost impossible not to start moving to the music. By 10 mins the Borg is in control: resistance is futile: Ozrics at their very very best.

Is the album essential: nah, not by a long shot. But every progger should have The Will of the Wisps.

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#948435) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2013

4 stars It's a family affair this time with band leader Ed Wynne (gtr & synths) wife Brandi (bass) and now son Silas (synths) jamming together on this hour-long exploration of space/prog rock. Given its their 28th LP we shouldn't expect too many surprises and there aren't any. It's the unique blend of ... (read more)

Report this review (#607352) | Posted by BigAl65 | Wednesday, January 11, 2012 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This album continues much in the same vein as the previous release, "The Yum Yum Tree". In truth this is less of a band these days and more of an Ed Wynne solo project, with less playing by a group than some of the earlier releases from the classic Ozrics period (basically the 90's). But the ma ... (read more)

Report this review (#550945) | Posted by GilesBrigand | Saturday, October 15, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars So, It's been only five days since I got 'Paper Monkeys'...yeah, just five days (this, my CD, may even be the first official copy ever) and my mind's already ventured into Erpland! Just when you thought these guys couldn't make music even more overwhelming, insane and passional...then they give y ... (read more)

Report this review (#541199) | Posted by Autumnmaker | Tuesday, October 04, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of OZRIC TENTACLES "Paper Monkeys"