THE GHOST YOU GAVE TO ME

Three The Ghost You Gave To me album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy THREE Music
Studio Album, released in 2011

1. Sirenum Scopuli (01:10)
2. React (04:12)
3. Sparrow (04:04)
4. High Times (04:38)
5. Numbers (04:39)
6. One With the Sun (06:09)
7. The Ghost You Gave to Me (03:57)
8. Pretty (04:51)

- Joey Eppard / vocals, guitar
- Chris 'Gartdrumm' Gartmann / drums, vocals
- Billy Riker / guitars, effects
- Daniel Grimsland / bass

Metal Blade Records, October 2011 (item #150452)

Thanks to yam yam for the addition

THREE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THREE The Ghost You Gave To me Music

VARIOUS ARTISTS - Slow Mo Three (1 CD) [Stereo Deluxe] US $7.44 Buy It Now 32m 37s
Asterisk x Jenny Piccolo - Dogma III 10" Three One G NEW & SEALED US $12.99 Buy It Now 34m 36s
Meatloaf - Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad / For Crying Out Loud 45 1977 US $0.99 Buy It Now 35m 45s
Chapter 2:world Domination - 6 Mafia Three New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shippi US $19.46 Buy It Now 41m 2s
THE THREE TENORS IN CONCERT - MEHTA CD CARRERAS DOMINGO PAVAROTTI US $2.99 Buy It Now 43m 48s
MASEO: PLUG THREE (DE LA SOUL) MP3 CLASSICS VOL 1 CD NEW & SEALED PARTY HIP-HOP US $6.63 Buy It Now 44m 5s
Horace Parlan Us Three Japan Mini LP CD Factory Sealed New Copy Paper Sleeve CD US $89.99 Buy It Now 45m 33s
The Three Tenors Christmas CD Luciano Pavarotti Placido Domingo US $7.94 Buy It Now 51m 55s
Ives: Symphony No. 1 / Three Places in New England / Robert Browning Overture ~ US $7.02 Buy It Now 54m 17s
THE THREE DEGREES GOLDEN - RARE CASSETTE - US $15.71 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Bingo Miki & The Inner Galaxy Montreux Cyclone XRCD CD Japan Three Blind Mice US $40.50 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Susan Harrison-Thing or Three About Love CD NEW US $19.88 Buy It Now 1h 10m
EMERSON, KEITH/MARC BONIL-THREE FATES CD NEW US $21.94 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Various-The Three Disc Symphonion CD NEW US $16.26 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Tchaikovsky Three Great Ballets Ormandy Columbia 2-EYE 3LP US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
De Falla The Three-Cornered Hat 24/192 DVD-Audio + CD HDAD 2019 US $28.40 Buy It Now 1h 13m
JIM ED BROWN Beyond The Shadow / The Three Bells RCA 0190 RARE COUNTRY 45 US $1.50 Buy It Now 1h 18m
THREE DOG NIGHT Special Interview JAPAN 7" Promo Only 1975 EX BRP-1002 US $29.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
DANCE NATION - Part Three Limited Australia Edition (2 CD) [Ministry of Sound] US $7.44 Buy It Now 1h 28m
The Three Degrees : The Three Degrees : Vinyl Album : S PIR 65858 : Gatefold US $9.62 Buy It Now 1h 30m
The Medieval Jazz Quartet plus three...Classic Edition 1962 US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 36m
GENE PHILLIPS and his Rhythm Aces - Big Fat Mama / Three MODERN MUSIC - 78rpm US $11.95 Buy It Now 1h 36m
MUTE DRIVERS 'WAITING FOR WORLD WAR THREE' UK DOUBLE LP US $16.59 Buy It Now 1h 39m
1H JULIUS LAROSA ALFREDO MENDEZ ARCHIE BLEYER THREE COINS WE GOTTA HAVE YOU US $15.99 [0 bids]
1H DECCA KALIN TWINS WHEN THREE OCLOCK TRILL HEAR US $15.99 [0 bids]
Three Mile Pilot [LP] by Three Mile Pilot (LP, Dec-2002, Gravity Records) new US $14.85 Buy It Now 1h 55m
MARILLION - "Punch & Judy"/"Market Square"/"Three Boats" - 1984 ORIG UK 12" EP US $19.88 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Rock Promo 45 DAVE LOGGINS Three Little Words (I Love Y 4 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Electric Light Orchestra ELO Three light years LP JETBX1 VG/EX UK US $37.43 Buy It Now 2h
GHIDRAH, The Three Headed Monster (1964) Akira Ifukube Japan CD # TYCY-5349 Exc US $54.95 [0 bids]
THREE OF A KIND DUKE ELLINGTON, WOODY HERMAN RARE OOP LP VG COVER/VG VINYL JAZZ! US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Berlin Count three and pray LP MERH101 VG/EX UK US $17.34 Buy It Now 2h 12m
GENESIS AND THEN THERE WERE THREE RARE OOP LP VG+ COVER/VG+ VINYL! 1978 US PRESS US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
D'arby, Terence Trent Wishing well (Three Coins in a Fountain Mix) 12" TRENTT2 V US $15.51 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Jeannie Dee Shake a Hand / Three Fools in Love Funk Northern Soul on Hudd 1968 US $10.99 [0 bids]
LISTEN - POPCORN - U.S BONDS - TIME OLE STORY - QUARTER TO THREE US $5.00 [0 bids]
Genesis And then there were three LP CDS4010 EX/EX UK Gatefold US $17.34 Buy It Now 2h 29m
BEETHOVEN, THREE SONATAS, ALINE VAN BARENTZEN, FRENCH TRIANON, STEREO, VG++ US $9.99 [0 bids]
Three Kings soundtrack - Beach Boys, Ice Cube, Snap - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $38.97 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Three Suites US $4.96 Buy It Now 2h 42m
OTIS RUSH: Three Times A Fool / My Love Will Never Die 45 Blues US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 47m
LISTEN - VOCALS GROUP - THE THREE HAIRCUTS - GOIN CRAZY - YOU ARE SO RARE TO ME US $5.00 [0 bids]
LISTEN - ROCK N ROLL - DUANE EDDY - FORTY MILES OF BAD ROAD - THE QUIET THREE US $5.00 [0 bids]
Three 6 Mafia, The Most Known Unknown (Screwed and Chopped) Audio CD US $10.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
KMC "GANGSTAS" THREE MEN WITH THE POWER OF TEN PROMO COPY 1990 PRIORITY RECORDS US $7.00 [0 bids]
Barbra Streisand Set of Three LP's ,Broadway Album,The Way We Were,At The Forum US $4.99 [0 bids]
Three Degrees The runner 12" White Vinyl AROD154 /EX UK Limited Edition US $20.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
BANANARAMA & FUN BOY THREE "REALLY SAYING SOMETHING" 7" 45 RECORD US $6.55 Buy It Now 3h 18m
THE THREE AMIGOS - 25 MILES 2001 - RARE OZ CD SINGLE NM US $8.42 Buy It Now 3h 22m
ALPERT, HERB & THE TJB!! - "THREE O'CLOCK JUMP" B/W "KALIMBA" STEREO 45 VG++!! US $5.98 Buy It Now 3h 22m
TOMMY JAMES AND THE SHONDELLS-Mony Mony/One Two Three And I Fell 7" VG Cond US $9.95 Buy It Now 3h 24m
YALLA Three Water-Sources USSR Pressing Rare UZBEK PROG PSYCH FOLK LP STEREO US $19.99 [0 bids]
Three 6 Mafia Stay fly 12" Promo Vinyl Single Columbia 82876 78351 1 US $21.57 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Falla Three Cornered Hat - Jorda & London Symphony Orchestra. TP 164 NM vinyl US $13.27 Buy It Now 3h 28m
SADOWSKI, KRZYSZTOF Three Thousands Points 1974 NM US $45.00 Buy It Now 3h 36m
FUN BOY THREE "THE LUNATICS" 7in RECORD US $6.55 Buy It Now 3h 41m
3 lp LOT befour the three 3 o'clock salvation army sixteen tambourines arrive et US $99.00 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Russian Club Music - DJ Smash CD - Twenty Three (2011) US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
SINEAD O'CONNOR three babies 12" 4 track b/w damn your eyes, troy and the value US $10.26 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Candida Knock Three Times Bell#6052 stereo US $5.00 [0 bids]
VARIOUS "HITS OF THE SIXTIES VOL THREE" CASSETTE TAPE US $13.09 Buy It Now 3h 50m
T-Pain Three Rings US $0.99 [0 bids]
7" 45 EP Three Suns, The "14 Favourites For Dancing" RCA RCX-144 Fourteen Nevins US $33.20 Buy It Now 3h 51m
THE THREE DEGREES,THE O'JAYS,HAROLD MELVIN & THE BLUE NOTES EP PS Japan r7085 US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
SIGNED BY ALL THREE Bach Harpsichord Music JUNGHANNS TRACEY NEUMEYER FSM LP NM US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Rachmaninov:bells Spring Three Russia - Bbc Philharmonic Orc US $14.86 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Bach: Three Keyboard Concertos, , Good Original recording remastered, E US $7.49 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Manfred Mann Chapter Three Volume Two LP..VERTIGO Label Made in New Zealand NZ US $99.99 [0 bids]
SUGABABES - Three (UK 14 Track CD Album) US $6.29 Buy It Now 4h
The Three Tenors in Concert 1994 (CD, Aug-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE CURE Three Imaginary Boys JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 4m
LIMP BIZKIT three dollar bill ... Cassette - RUSSIA US $11.90 Buy It Now 4h 6m
The Three Cornered Hat - Falla, Villa-Lobos - Little Train of the Caipira, TP164 US $12.87 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Bananarama & Fun Boy Three - Really Saying Something, DERAM NANA1 Ex Con A1/B1 US $6.63 Buy It Now 4h 6m
GENESIS 'THREE SIDES LIVE' UK DOUBLE LP US $16.59 Buy It Now 4h 8m
THREE CORPORATION - I Need A Fix - 12" promo US $16.26 Buy It Now 4h 9m
compilation, Hemmesphere Three, Various Artists CD US $14.93 Buy It Now 4h 9m
YOU HAD TO BE THERE 2 CD SET KLOS 95.5 SIGNED BY MARK & BRIAN THREE TIMES 3X US $138.25 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Three Tenors Live, Pavarotti/Domingo/Carreras, Good US $4.52 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Lucky Starr Oz 45 "The Three Trees" VG++ US $7.44 [0 bids]
LEMON, Rob - Three - 12" US $16.26 Buy It Now 4h 16m
LP Lynn, Loretta "Out Of My Head And Back In My Bed" MCA MCF 2846 Three Riddles US $16.59 Buy It Now 4h 16m
LP Unknown Various "Chart Busters Volume 3" Chartbusters Vol Three PYE PCB 15002 US $49.81 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Bananarama and Fun Boy Three Really saying something 7" NANA1 G/EX UK US $10.48 Buy It Now 4h 28m
GENESIS and then there were three 9124 023 german charisma LP PS EX/VG+ US $13.27 Buy It Now 4h 30m
ERIC COATES the three elizabeths\four centuries ACL 164 uk LP PS EX/VG US $13.27 Buy It Now 4h 30m
LP Various "Instrumental Magic Volume Three" (Vol 3) WARWICK MCO 0035 Bolero etc US $14.93 Buy It Now 4h 30m
GENESIS and then there were three 9124023 new zealand charisma 1978 LP PS EX/EX US $21.12 Buy It Now 4h 33m
BERLIN count three and pray MERH 101 A2/B1 early press uk mercury LP PS VG+/EX US $15.01 Buy It Now 4h 35m
L. Gianneo - Son Pno 1/Three Pre/My Little Girl/& [CD New] US $9.53 Buy It Now 4h 36m
TERRY OLDFIELD-SPIRIT OF AFRICA-THREE TRACK CD=47 MINUTES-AUSTRALIA-1993 US $11.21 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Three 3 Colours Red postcard This is my Time pop Rock music collector souvenir US $1.79 [0 bids]
Donizetti: The Three Queens (Box Set) (CD, Nov-2000, 7 Discs, DG Deutsche... US $59.99 [0 bids]
Browns The three bells 7" 45-RCA1140 VG/EX UK US $17.79 Buy It Now 4h 43m
The Three Degrees(7" Vinyl P/S)Liar-3d -3D 1-UK-Fair/VG US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 43m
B. Britten - Three Suites For Cello [CD New] US $14.66 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Schumann/Schumann - Violin Sonatas/Three Romances [CD New] US $13.34 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Gigli/Caruso/Schipa - Legendary Three Tenors [CD New] US $9.79 Buy It Now 4h 46m
GENESIS ~'THREE MEN AT THE CORNER'~RARE ITALIAN CD 1992~PB011~NEW US $41.50 Buy It Now 4h 47m
TWO BANKS OF FOUR Three Street Worlds CD (New) US $18.70 Buy It Now 4h 47m

More places to buy THREE music online Buy THREE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THREE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THREE The Ghost You Gave To me ratings distribution

THREE The Ghost You Gave To me reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'The Ghost You Gave To Me' - Three (7/10)

I have been enamoured with the band Three (or '3') ever since I saw them several years back opening for the immortal Dream Theater. Even though very few in the audience had ever heard of this US act before, it would be difficult to pinpoint someone who wasn't blown away by their performance. Highlighted by the unsurpassed acoustic guitar talents of frontman Joey Eppard, the band was tight and powerful, and my introduction to Three was met with a shortness of breath. Although a recording of old songs has some out since that concert and the big album they were touring for, 'The Ghost You Gave To Me' is the legitimate follow up to 'The End Is Begun'. Back is the powerful songwriting and dynamic presentation that first attracted me to the band, and I have no problem saying that Three have released another fine record. 'The Ghost You Gave To Me' may have even stood a chance to become the band's defining record, were it not for a few less-than-glorious changes that the band has made to their sound.

Three deserve their labeling as progressive rock, but they take a distinctly modern approach, skirting away from many of the conventions that has dragged down the prog 'genre' as of late. The songwriting is generally concise and melodic, and typically relies more on melodic hooks, rather than ten minute solos and the like. 'The Ghost You Gave To Me' is an eleven song set of Three's recognizable writing. With a sound that keeps in touch with current rock trends, Three juice up the music with dramatic flair and feeling. Much like 'The End Is Begun' and albums prior, Three delivers a powerful package despite hovering within a four-minute song format. All the same, the progressive quality comes in through the way the band performs these songs. One of the defining qualities of Three- and the reason I liked them so much to begin with- was the unique use of acoustic guitar in the music. Despite being dramatic rock music, the acoustic guitar work of Joey Eppard was rarely not at the forefront of the action, and for good reason too. The man is a genius with a six-string, and it was always amazing to hear the man pluck away with such complexity. While the songwriting and more rock-oriented aspects of Three are in full force here, the acoustics seem to be something that the band have skirted away from. The intro 'Sirenum Scopuli' is a tease, basking in acoustic glory, and the first 'real' song 'React' makes use of the acoustic guitar in much the same way that they did on the previous album. Throughout the rest of the album though, there is a clear sense that my favourite aspect of the band has become less of a factor in their music.

Instead of the acoustics, I actually feel that Three are beginning to tread into metal territory. This has been a band that has historically attracted the metalhead crowd, but until now, I never thought that they really incorporated metal into their music. Mind you, we still aren't treading into anything particularly extreme with 'The Ghost You Gave To Me', but parts of these songs do tend to crank up the guitars to the point where they would not sound out of place on a modern progressive metal album. To an extent, this tends to work well with this batch of songs. Most of the material that 'The Ghost You Gave To Me' offers is upbeat and energetic. Although his acoustic duties are somewhat subdued this time around, Joey Eppard's voice is taking even more of a forefront in the band's sound this time around, and while his higher register voice may not appeal to everyone in the progressive rock, or metal communities, he has an incredibly skilled voice. His heavy use of ad-libbing would put many a soul warbler to shame.

While I hate the use of paradoxes when attempting to explain something, Three indeed offers more of the same with 'The Ghost You Gave To Me', all the while making some considerable adjustments to how they perform as an act. The more rock-oriented feel to the band this time is no failure, but does not move me in quite the same way as the acoustic- freakout glory of some of their earlier music. Some issues of taste aside, Three are still an artistically vital act.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#569670) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Nice modern prog!

There are some bands whose sound may be easily linked with both, progressive and alternative rock, giving as a result music that might also be loved by the fans of those two genres; I believe it happens with 3 (Three), a USA band whose new album entitled "The Ghost You Gave To Me" has just been released through Metal Blade Records; an album that consists on twelve songs that together make a total time of 52 minutes. It opens with "Sirenum Scopuli", a one-minute introductory track with a mellow sound, acoustic guitar and vocals. It leads to "React" which is a song I fell in love since the first time I listened to it. The voice caught my attention and now I can say I like it a lot, the guitar sound is great (acoustic and electric), and I also like the effects, don't really know if made by synthesizers, but they put great atmospheres. The song may be catchy and easy to sing, I truly enjoy doing so.

"Sparrow" starts heavier (without being metal) and later slows down. I started saying that their sound may appeal to prog and alt rock fans, but I believe some metal fans could also like the band and this album, and this song is a nice example due to its variation in moods and styles. "High Times" connects nice guitar figures with a great voice (I once again highlight the effects). The structure is very good, the drummer plays his instrument really well, creating several sounds and exploding the drums at its best. Though I don't think it would be their goal, I would easily put this track as a radio-hit.

"Numbers" has some kind of suspense feeling at the beginning, but it later explodes and becomes heavier. The structure is repeated until minute two where a moment with short guitar riffs appear, but later the chorus returns. However, the last minutes are the best part of the song, due to the increased intensity and the powerful feeling they implement. "One with the Sun" is one of the longest track here, and it is mellower, softer than the previous ones. Here the composition is really good, well-crafted and intelligently arranged, a clear example of the great compositional skill of the band, though I admit this is by no means my favorite track.

"The Ghost You Gave To Me" has dynamism in its structure, with that cool sound prog-alt- metal that predominates in 3's music. Here what I like the most are the voices, and the guitar work. "Pretty" seems to be a heavier track but it actually slows down really soon and maintains a mid-tempo rhythm with some pauses, though in the chorus it is faster (and really catchy).

"Afterglow" is my least favorite track of the album, I don't really like it. Don't really know how to explain it, but I feel this particular song may be loved by the simplest kid on the block, due to its over-catchy sound and those friendly rhythms, though in the last minutes the drummer makes a good work. "It's Alive" is a much better song in every sense: compositional, executional, emotional, etc. I love the changes in rhythm and mood and how it is calm and all of a sudden it explodes.

"Only Child" is the longest track here and without a doubt one of their finest compositions. Since the first seconds we can notice the complexity of the strings and the accompaniment of drums and voice. It is a charming track in the first two minutes and a half, because it later changes and puts a darker atmosphere which will not abandon the song until the very end. The ambient is tense and in moments baffling; the song becomes even more ambitious just before the fourth minute, the musicianship is great and the faster rhythms wonderful; the addition of keyboards is also great. This song is worth the whole album, it is impressive.

And the album finishes with "The Barrier" which is a much calmer track that contrasts with the explosion of the previous one; in this song there is a mellow sound that announces the end, so it seems the band is saying goodbye.

The album is good without a doubt, with its highs and lows, but solid after all, however their style is not really my main attraction, and it evidently is not a masterpiece, so my final grade will be three (pun intended) stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#585906) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 10, 2011

2 stars I got this album in a spontaneous move, and as it was fairly cheap, I am not annoyed that I was so disappointed. There is not much to offer here in the way of progressive metal, more alternative, semi-metal "Foo-Fighters"-esque indie-pop. The album has some good material, but I just think the ... (read more)

Report this review (#914637) | Posted by The Mystical | Saturday, February 16, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THREE "The Ghost You Gave To me"