THE GHOST YOU GAVE TO ME

Three The Ghost You Gave To me album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy THREE Music
Studio Album, released in 2011

1. Sirenum Scopuli (01:10)
2. React (04:12)
3. Sparrow (04:04)
4. High Times (04:38)
5. Numbers (04:39)
6. One With the Sun (06:09)
7. The Ghost You Gave to Me (03:57)
8. Pretty (04:51)

- Joey Eppard / vocals, guitar
- Chris 'Gartdrumm' Gartmann / drums, vocals
- Billy Riker / guitars, effects
- Daniel Grimsland / bass

Metal Blade Records, October 2011 (item #150452)

Thanks to yam yam for the addition

THREE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THREE The Ghost You Gave To me Music

GENESIS AND THEN THERE WERE THREE LP VINYL RECORD EXC COND US $8.11 Buy It Now 29m 36s
LET'S PRETEND - HANSEL AND GRETEL / THREE GOLDEN HAIRS TG 119 LP Fairytales US $9.99 Buy It Now 30m 14s
THE THREE DEGREES-TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF-TSOP-1975 12" VINYL LP US $3.23 [0 bids]
30m 35s
Lulu Suite; Wozzeck, Three Excerpts; Three Pieces, Op 6 US $19.50 Buy It Now 34m 4s
The Fun Boy Three - The Telephone Always Rings US $0.73 [0 bids]
34m 40s
Tibor Rudas Presents the Three Sopranos (CD) Georges Bi US $31.00 Buy It Now 34m 40s
Juliana Hatfield Three - Become What You Are (CD 1998) 0803 US $7.28 Buy It Now 35m 23s
Glinka - Valse Fantasie, Three Dances from A Life for t US $48.50 Buy It Now 35m 40s
Chopin: Fantasy on Polish Airs; Four Impromptus; Three US $20.50 Buy It Now 35m 52s
The Three Suns When Day is Done Twilight Time + more Box Set 3x45 NM/NM/NM WP185 US $14.95 Buy It Now 37m
One-Two-Three 12" Single Runaway(Vocal&Instrumental)Prelude Records PROMO US $9.99 Buy It Now 37m 45s
CHICK COREA-THREE QUARTETS +4-JAPAN SHM-CD D50 US $19.50 Buy It Now 40m 42s
Three Dollar Bill Y'All [PA] by Limp Bizkit (CD, Jul-1997, Interscope (USA)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 40m 51s
Serkin Beethoven three favorite sonatas Moonlight Appassionata pathetique US $2.99 [0 bids]
43m 55s
Three of a kind - Ray Charles - Ivory Joe Hunter - Jimmy Rushing US $2.99 [0 bids]
43m 55s
Three Dog Night - It Ain't Easy - LP US $8.99 Buy It Now 44m 23s
STU PHILLIPS CD THREE SCORES ~ THE MEAL, TIME TO EVERY PURPOSE US $5.99 [0 bids]
46m 3s
KEITH RICHARDS MAGAZINE CUTTING 30X20cm "THREE FROM THE BEST" ROLLING STONE 1995 US $6.47 Buy It Now 49m 8s
VIKTORIA MULLOVA:THREE CLASSIC ALBUMS BY MULLOVA,VIKTORIA (CD) US $22.77 Buy It Now 49m 38s
HEIGHT, Donald (Three Hundred And Sixty Five Days) Shout 208 US $3.80 Buy It Now 50m 48s
HIROKO OTSUKA THREE BLIND MICE JAPAN DJ CD SEALED H511 US $9.99 [0 bids]
51m 32s
Vintage Three Dog Night It Ain't Easy Vinyl Record US $3.99 [0 bids]
52m 10s
THREE GREAT TCHAIKOVSKY BALLETS vintage LP 3 albums set PHILADELPHIA ORCHESTRA US $3.50 [0 bids]
53m 27s
Candida Dawn Knock Three Times LP 1970 Bell 6052 Stereo Vinyl Record US $4.74 Buy It Now 53m 40s
BIKE FOR THREE - SO MUCH FOREVER NEW VINYL US $27.20 Buy It Now 53m 47s
DJ Dimitri ICU House Trance CD Session Three US $5.49 [0 bids]
56m 58s
THE WEDDING PRESENT THREE SONGS 1990 3 TRACK VINYL 12" SINGLE *NEAR MINT ITEM US $12.89 Buy It Now 1h
"SAMANTHA FOX - COLLECTION OF THREE OOP ORIGINAL RELEASE SINGLE CASSETTE TAPES" US $15.00 [0 bids]
1h
THREE DEGREES Take Good Care Of Yourself EXC COND LP US $7.28 Buy It Now 1h
American Standard by Seven Mary Three (CD, Sep-1995, Atlantic (Label)) US $2.49 Buy It Now 1h 2m
BILL PRITCHARD Three Months Three Weeks & Two Days '89 NETTWERK OOP Etienne Daho US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Star Trek: Three Exciting New Complete Stories LP '75 Peter Pan 8158 VG++ Vinyl US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 4m
THE THREE SUNS "A DING DONG DANDY CHRISTMAS" 33 RPM VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM - 1959 US $19.95 Buy It Now 1h 11m
DEVIL MAKES THREE Stomp and Smash Live at the Mystic VINYL LP Brand New! + mp3 US $15.28 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Blue Note - Gene Harris -The Three Sounds- UNPLAYED US $49.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
DARYL HALL "THREE HEARTS IN THE HAPPY ENDING MACHINE" LP RECORD - 1986 - SEALED US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Three Dog Night - Joy To The World Their Greatest Hits U.K. LP US $16.20 Buy It Now 1h 15m
lot of three cds..Freddy Hayler..Heaven..Song of angels.. One New.. Two Used US $13.00 [2 bids]
Paul Whiteman & Orch 78 RPM 1920s Three O'Clock in the morning VG + US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Ives Three Places in New England Ruggles Sun-Treader BSO Tilson Thomas DGG NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
Children's vinyl records Three Little Pigs, Little Red Hen, Santa's Surprise US $2.99 [0 bids]
Les Compagnons de la Chanson Whirlwind b/wThe Three Bells US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Mehta: The Three Tenors in Concert by Carreras, Domingo & Pavarotti (CD,1998) US $5.99 [0 bids]
Three Ex. Cond. 1960's DJ Copy 45rpm records, Psychadelic Bands, Free us ship! US $20.00 [0 bids]
69 - DISC THREE: Lite Music: (NEW COLOR VINYL) PLE65307-1.3 Carl Craig US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Thirty Three by Smashing Pumpkins (CD, Nov-1996, Virgin, 6 Tracks) US $5.99 [0 bids]
The Three Suns Twilight Time Hindustan Peg Heart Canadian Caper EPA-5021 RCA 45 US $10.00 [0 bids]
Black Crowes - Three Snakes & One Charm [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 33m
JAMES WEIDMAN - THREE WORLDS NEW CD US $20.58 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Alone with Three Giants by Marcus Roberts (CD, Jan-1991, Novus) Jazz Piano US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
DIRTY THREE - TOWARD THE LOW SUN NEW CD US $34.56 Buy It Now 1h 35m
THE THREE SONS Your Chirstmas Favorites Set of 3 45 rpm 7" Vintage US $1.99 [0 bids]
Abercrombie/Assad/Coryell - Three Guitars [CD New] US $14.54 Buy It Now 1h 39m
THREE DOG NIGHT Cyan SHRINK 1973 Dunhill/ABC w/orig color sleeve EX/EX LP Record US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Three CD Lot Duran Duran and Steve Winwood and Herbie Hancock US $6.99 [0 bids]
Take Three Tonite's The Night NM 12' disco single 45rpm US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
The Three Tenors - Christmas KOREA CD+DVD SET *SEALED* US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Icon by Three Dog Night (CD, Aug-2010, Geffen) US $4.50 [0 bids]
45 RPM Record LOVE IS MANY SPLENDOR THING +THREE OTHER US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
King Crimson Three OF A Perfect Pair JAPAN MINI LP CD SEALED US $14.99 [0 bids]
MARKELS ORCHESTRA Three O'Clock In The Morning on OKEH 4666 Jazz 78 10" US $19.99 [0 bids]
COLLECTION OF THREE OOP BELINDA CARLISLE ORIGINAL RELEASE CASSETTE TAPES US $10.00 [0 bids]
COMMODORES "Three Times A Lady" 45 White Label PROMO VG++ US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
THREE SISTERS / SOUNDTRACK NEW CD US $25.60 Buy It Now 1h 53m
FARON YOUNG 'Three Days / I Let It Slip Away ' 45 RPM PICTURE SLEEVE (COUNTRY) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 54m
The Prom Kings by Prom Kings (CD, Aug-2005, Three Kings Records) US $0.40 [0 bids]
"MOTLEY CRUE - COLLECTION OF THREE OOP ORIGINAL RELEASE SINGLE CASSETTE TAPES" US $20.00 [0 bids]
THREE O'CLOCK - Ever After - Excellent Condition LP Record IRS MIRF 1016 US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 56m
THREE SUNS : IN ORBIT (9756) - RARITIES US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 56m
PORGY AND BESS / THREE PENNY OPERA (STVX 426.180) - RARITIES US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 56m
BRG 72384 Copland Lincoln Portrait Ives Three Places Ormandy 1966 CBS EX/EX Mono US $12.16 Buy It Now 1h 57m
seven mary three 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo slide negative #C/7295 US $8.09 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Four Aces Three Coins in Fountain & Wedding Bells 45 US $1.50 Buy It Now 2h
Three Vintage PETER PAN 45rpm Records for Children~1950's Pop Songs US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h
THE THREE SUNS DANCING ON A CLOUD RCA VICTOR LP RECORD ALBUM 41 DANCE TEMPO US $4.99 [0 bids]
2h
RCA 45 RPM Record by The Browns "The Three Bells" Very Good Condition US $3.29 [0 bids]
(3) Three Vintage 45 R.P.M. Vinyl 7" Record Plastic Adapters-Used Condition US $8.75 [0 bids]
SCRITTI POLITTI THREE SUPERB 12 INCH VINYL SINGLE OFFER ALL EX - NEAR MINT ITEMS US $22.62 Buy It Now 2h 4m
78 rpm RCA VICTOR PHIL REGAN Three Little Words JUKEBOX RECORD US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 5m
THREE SUNS : PETITE WALTZ / JET US $1.49 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Around The World With Three Dog Night 2 LP Set Vinyl Record 1973 Good US $2.25 [0 bids]
DANNY HUTTON- Monster Shindig 1& 2'" /Roses&Rainbows Pre-Three Dog Night US $2.00 [2 bids]
BODKIN - THREE DAYS AFTER DEATH 72 SCOTTISH QUINTET HEAVY PROG ROCK 180g SLD LP US $24.95 Buy It Now 2h 6m
George Lloyd - Lernin / Iernin - an opera in three acts. Rare 3CD set US $40.51 [0 bids]
Handel - Almira an opera in three acts. Monoyios Rozario Nasrawi Lawrence-King US $32.41 [0 bids]
Anton Rubinstein - The Demon an opera in three acts. Wexford Festival Production US $32.41 [0 bids]
ELMER BERNSTEIN (COM - THREE AMIGOS! [LIMITED EDITION] - NEW CD US $13.61 Buy It Now 2h 7m
THREE LITTLE WORDS - Fred Astaire-Red Skelton-Arlene Dahl-Gloria De Haven US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 8m
ANDERS OSBORNE - THREE FREE AMIGOS - NEW CD US $9.17 Buy It Now 2h 8m
FACE TO FACE - THREE CHORDS AND A HALF TRUTH - RR1952 US $17.09 Buy It Now 2h 9m
JOEL PLASKETT - THREE TO ONE - BGMNS1 US $17.59 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Terry Hall/Laugh/1997 Southsea Bubble Company CD Album/Specials/Fun Boy Three US $8.09 Buy It Now 2h 9m
CINDERELLA & THREE TO MAKE MUSIC (1959) - MARY MARTIN - NM/NM US $15.00 [0 bids]
ROY HAYNES - WE THREE (IMPORT) NEW CD US $46.40 Buy It Now 2h 13m
GARY U.S. BONDS - DANCE TIL A QUARTER TO THREE:FIRST TWO ALBUMS (UK) NEW CD US $34.56 Buy It Now 2h 13m
The Peddlers Three In A Cell Original Demo Stereo 1st Pressing Epic Records US $22.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Tommy Dee 7" 45 Record Three Stars /Jimmy Sweeney US $3.75 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Three : Ellis JAPAN CD OBI SEALED K421 US $9.99 [0 bids]
"HOLLY NEAR" COLLECTION OF THREE OOP ORIGINAL RELEASE SINGLE CASSETTE TAPES US $15.00 [0 bids]
Three Classical albums, Tchaikowsky, Khachturian, Mendelssohn US $3.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy THREE music online Buy THREE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THREE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THREE The Ghost You Gave To me ratings distribution

THREE The Ghost You Gave To me reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'The Ghost You Gave To Me' - Three (7/10)

I have been enamoured with the band Three (or '3') ever since I saw them several years back opening for the immortal Dream Theater. Even though very few in the audience had ever heard of this US act before, it would be difficult to pinpoint someone who wasn't blown away by their performance. Highlighted by the unsurpassed acoustic guitar talents of frontman Joey Eppard, the band was tight and powerful, and my introduction to Three was met with a shortness of breath. Although a recording of old songs has some out since that concert and the big album they were touring for, 'The Ghost You Gave To Me' is the legitimate follow up to 'The End Is Begun'. Back is the powerful songwriting and dynamic presentation that first attracted me to the band, and I have no problem saying that Three have released another fine record. 'The Ghost You Gave To Me' may have even stood a chance to become the band's defining record, were it not for a few less-than-glorious changes that the band has made to their sound.

Three deserve their labeling as progressive rock, but they take a distinctly modern approach, skirting away from many of the conventions that has dragged down the prog 'genre' as of late. The songwriting is generally concise and melodic, and typically relies more on melodic hooks, rather than ten minute solos and the like. 'The Ghost You Gave To Me' is an eleven song set of Three's recognizable writing. With a sound that keeps in touch with current rock trends, Three juice up the music with dramatic flair and feeling. Much like 'The End Is Begun' and albums prior, Three delivers a powerful package despite hovering within a four-minute song format. All the same, the progressive quality comes in through the way the band performs these songs. One of the defining qualities of Three- and the reason I liked them so much to begin with- was the unique use of acoustic guitar in the music. Despite being dramatic rock music, the acoustic guitar work of Joey Eppard was rarely not at the forefront of the action, and for good reason too. The man is a genius with a six-string, and it was always amazing to hear the man pluck away with such complexity. While the songwriting and more rock-oriented aspects of Three are in full force here, the acoustics seem to be something that the band have skirted away from. The intro 'Sirenum Scopuli' is a tease, basking in acoustic glory, and the first 'real' song 'React' makes use of the acoustic guitar in much the same way that they did on the previous album. Throughout the rest of the album though, there is a clear sense that my favourite aspect of the band has become less of a factor in their music.

Instead of the acoustics, I actually feel that Three are beginning to tread into metal territory. This has been a band that has historically attracted the metalhead crowd, but until now, I never thought that they really incorporated metal into their music. Mind you, we still aren't treading into anything particularly extreme with 'The Ghost You Gave To Me', but parts of these songs do tend to crank up the guitars to the point where they would not sound out of place on a modern progressive metal album. To an extent, this tends to work well with this batch of songs. Most of the material that 'The Ghost You Gave To Me' offers is upbeat and energetic. Although his acoustic duties are somewhat subdued this time around, Joey Eppard's voice is taking even more of a forefront in the band's sound this time around, and while his higher register voice may not appeal to everyone in the progressive rock, or metal communities, he has an incredibly skilled voice. His heavy use of ad-libbing would put many a soul warbler to shame.

While I hate the use of paradoxes when attempting to explain something, Three indeed offers more of the same with 'The Ghost You Gave To Me', all the while making some considerable adjustments to how they perform as an act. The more rock-oriented feel to the band this time is no failure, but does not move me in quite the same way as the acoustic- freakout glory of some of their earlier music. Some issues of taste aside, Three are still an artistically vital act.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#569670) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Nice modern prog!

There are some bands whose sound may be easily linked with both, progressive and alternative rock, giving as a result music that might also be loved by the fans of those two genres; I believe it happens with 3 (Three), a USA band whose new album entitled "The Ghost You Gave To Me" has just been released through Metal Blade Records; an album that consists on twelve songs that together make a total time of 52 minutes. It opens with "Sirenum Scopuli", a one-minute introductory track with a mellow sound, acoustic guitar and vocals. It leads to "React" which is a song I fell in love since the first time I listened to it. The voice caught my attention and now I can say I like it a lot, the guitar sound is great (acoustic and electric), and I also like the effects, don't really know if made by synthesizers, but they put great atmospheres. The song may be catchy and easy to sing, I truly enjoy doing so.

"Sparrow" starts heavier (without being metal) and later slows down. I started saying that their sound may appeal to prog and alt rock fans, but I believe some metal fans could also like the band and this album, and this song is a nice example due to its variation in moods and styles. "High Times" connects nice guitar figures with a great voice (I once again highlight the effects). The structure is very good, the drummer plays his instrument really well, creating several sounds and exploding the drums at its best. Though I don't think it would be their goal, I would easily put this track as a radio-hit.

"Numbers" has some kind of suspense feeling at the beginning, but it later explodes and becomes heavier. The structure is repeated until minute two where a moment with short guitar riffs appear, but later the chorus returns. However, the last minutes are the best part of the song, due to the increased intensity and the powerful feeling they implement. "One with the Sun" is one of the longest track here, and it is mellower, softer than the previous ones. Here the composition is really good, well-crafted and intelligently arranged, a clear example of the great compositional skill of the band, though I admit this is by no means my favorite track.

"The Ghost You Gave To Me" has dynamism in its structure, with that cool sound prog-alt- metal that predominates in 3's music. Here what I like the most are the voices, and the guitar work. "Pretty" seems to be a heavier track but it actually slows down really soon and maintains a mid-tempo rhythm with some pauses, though in the chorus it is faster (and really catchy).

"Afterglow" is my least favorite track of the album, I don't really like it. Don't really know how to explain it, but I feel this particular song may be loved by the simplest kid on the block, due to its over-catchy sound and those friendly rhythms, though in the last minutes the drummer makes a good work. "It's Alive" is a much better song in every sense: compositional, executional, emotional, etc. I love the changes in rhythm and mood and how it is calm and all of a sudden it explodes.

"Only Child" is the longest track here and without a doubt one of their finest compositions. Since the first seconds we can notice the complexity of the strings and the accompaniment of drums and voice. It is a charming track in the first two minutes and a half, because it later changes and puts a darker atmosphere which will not abandon the song until the very end. The ambient is tense and in moments baffling; the song becomes even more ambitious just before the fourth minute, the musicianship is great and the faster rhythms wonderful; the addition of keyboards is also great. This song is worth the whole album, it is impressive.

And the album finishes with "The Barrier" which is a much calmer track that contrasts with the explosion of the previous one; in this song there is a mellow sound that announces the end, so it seems the band is saying goodbye.

The album is good without a doubt, with its highs and lows, but solid after all, however their style is not really my main attraction, and it evidently is not a masterpiece, so my final grade will be three (pun intended) stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#585906) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 10, 2011

2 stars I got this album in a spontaneous move, and as it was fairly cheap, I am not annoyed that I was so disappointed. There is not much to offer here in the way of progressive metal, more alternative, semi-metal "Foo-Fighters"-esque indie-pop. The album has some good material, but I just think the ... (read more)

Report this review (#914637) | Posted by The Mystical | Saturday, February 16, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THREE "The Ghost You Gave To me"