LONG LIVE THE KING

Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2011

1. E. Watson (3:32)
2. Foregone (4:07)
3. Burying Davy (5:22)
4. I 4 U & U 4 Me (Home Demo) (3:38)
5. Row Jimmy (6:40)
6. Sonnet (2:56)

Total time: 26:15

Search THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King lyrics

Search THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King tabs

- John Moen / Drums, tambourine, background vocals
- Nate Query / Bass, upright bass
- Chris Funk / Pedal steel guitar, electric guitar
- Colin Meloy / Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, rhythm guitar, tambourine, vocals, various
- Laura Veirs / Background vocals
- Annalisa Tornfelt / Background vocals
- Victor Nash / Trumpet
- Adam Schneider / Trombone

CD Capitol 79168 (2011) US

Thanks to ClemofNazareth for the addition

THE DECEMBERISTS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King Music

The Decemberists: A Practical HandbookThe Decemberists: A Practical Handbook
Multiple Formats
Kill Rock Stars 2007
DVD$4.99
The Hazards of Love by The Decemberists (2009 Capitol) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
The Decemberists Long Live The King 10" vinyl US $13.99 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Black Prairie "Fortune" NEW Sealed LP *RSD 2014* Decemberists US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS 'Picaresque' Gatefold Double Vinyl LP + Download NEW US $35.76 Buy It Now 9h
Picaresque by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 17m
The Decemberists Vinyl LP The Crane Wife US $20.00 [0 bids]
RARE OOP Studio C KBCO Vol. 19 CD Modest Mouse THE SHINS Ryan Adams Decemberists US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 23m
BLACK PRAIRIE Vol.1 Decemberists Shins Sallie Ford 7" OOP NEW US $7.99 [0 bids]
Decemberists - Picaresque (2005) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.10 Buy It Now 20h 3m
Decemberists- We All Raise Our Voices To The.. 3 LP SET/ SEALED US $37.00 Buy It Now 22h 57m
The Decemberists The Hazards Of Love 17 Trk Double Vinyl LP SEALED US $59.39 Buy It Now 23h 52m
Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices To The Air The Decemberist [Vinyl New] US $29.58 Buy It Now 1 day
The Decemberists - This Is Why We Fight 1-track Promo CD Single US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS - WE ALL RAISE OUR VOICES TO THE AIR: LIVE SONGS NEW VINYL US $44.79 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS We All Raise Our Voices To The Air 3x LP VINYL NEW COLIN MELOY US $44.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CD 'Alternative Rock Xmas' BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE Decemberists + Alarm ++ SEALED US $0.99 [1 bids]
The Hazards Of Love - Decemberists The CD Sealed New ! US $7.56 Buy It Now 1 day
The Decemberists - Long Live The King EP NEW 10" Sealed US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists (CD, Oct-2006, Capitol/EMI Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Picaresque by The Decemberists (CD, Mar-2005, Kill Rock Stars) Like New! US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Long Live the King - Decemberists New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $11.02 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS - WE ALL RAISE OUR VOICES TO THE AIR: LIVE SONGS NEW CD US $33.31 Buy It Now 1 day
Norfolk & Western and Graves Fleetwood's Hack 10" Vinyl M Ward Decemberists 289 US $13.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Colin Meloy Sings Live! CD by Colin Meloy (The Decemberists) Kill Rock Stars Hip US $6.29 Buy It Now 1 day
1 CENT CD: Decemberists 'The Hazards Of Love' 2009 US $19.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE DECEMBERISTS "The Hazards of Love" 2LP 2009 Capitol vinyl album New Sealed US $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE DECEMBERISTS "Castaways And Cutouts" LP 2005 Jealous Butcher (Vinyl Album) US $23.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE DECEMBERISTS "Picaresque" LP 2005, Kill Rock Stars (Vinyl Album) US $28.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE DECEMBERISTS "Long Live the King" EP 2011, Capitol Records (Vinyl Album) US $17.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE DECEMBERISTS "The Crane Wife" 2LP 2006 Capitol double vinyl album New Sealed US $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
The Crane Wife [LP] by Decemberists (The) (Vinyl, Oct-2006, Capitol/EMI Records) US $2.74 [3 bids]
PICARESQUE The Decemberists (CD, Mar-2005, Kill Rock Stars) indie rock by US $7.77 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS, The - Picaresque - 2xLP US $43.27 Buy It Now 1 day
THE DECEMBERISTS - THE KING IS DEAD [DIGIPAK] [CD BOXSET] [2 - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.10 Buy It Now 1 day
We All Raise Our Voices to the Air: Live Songs 04.11.08 * by The Decemberists... US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists PRESENT PICARESQUE +MP3 Download NEW SEALED Vinyl 2 LP US $26.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DECEMBERISTS - LONG LIVE THE KING NEW VINYL US $21.04 Buy It Now 2 days
Decemberists - Long Live The King [CD New] US $7.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Long Live the King [EP] by The Decemberists (CD, Nov-2011, Capitol) US $4.96 Buy It Now 2 days
DECEMBERISTS - LONG LIVE THE KING NEW CD US $12.89 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists January Hymn Ltd Ed Record Store Day 7" Vinyl Sealed New OOP US $5.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Colin Meloy Sings Live! Cd The Decemberists US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Castaways And Cutouts [Remaster] [LP] by Decemberists (The) (Vinyl, Jan-2005, Je US $21.35 Buy It Now 2 days
We All Raise Our Voices To The Air (Live Songs 04.11-08.11) - Decemberists US $19.39 Buy It Now 2 days
DECEMBERISTS - WE ALL RAISE OUR VOICES TO THE AIR THE DECEMBERIST [CD NEW] US $20.41 Buy It Now 2 days
Decemberists - King Is Dead (2011) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.60 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead - RTRADCD656 US $19.08 Buy It Now 2 days
DECEMBERISTS sixteen military wives CD 3 track with info stickered case b/w CD r US $10.17 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists Always The Bridesmaid Vol. 1: Valerie Plame Sealed New Unopen US $25.00 [0 bids]
Decemberists Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + Free Bonuses US $8.46 Buy It Now 3 days
The Decemberists AMELIA Jigsaw PROMO Dj CD Single 2003 US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices to the Air: Live Songs - Promo CD! US $12.99 [0 bids]
DECEMBERISTS**PICARESQUE**CD US $18.23 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - King Is Dead [Vinyl New] US $21.73 Buy It Now 3 days
ROUGH TRADE SAMPLER - UK 16 TRK CD - ARCADE FIRE - DECEMBERISTS - SUN KILL MOON US $9.40 Buy It Now 3 days
BLACK PRAIRIE FORTUNE LP NEW SEALED RSD '14 indie-rock w/download Decemberists US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Decemberists - The Tain - NOIS038CD US $12.83 Buy It Now 4 days
BLACK PRAIRIE-A TEAR IN THE EYE IS WOUND IN THE HEART-PROMO CD-RARE-Decemberists US $3.00 [0 bids]
HITDISC HB200637 19TRX.2006 V/A UNPLAYED ROCK PROMO CD-DECEMBERISTS+MY CHEMICAL. US $3.29 [0 bids]
THE MINUS 5-KILLINGSWORTH-RARE ADVANCE PROMO CD-2009-14 TRACKS-The Decemberists US $3.00 [0 bids]
The Chieftains Voice of Ages [Deluxe Edition] [CD & DVD] Decemberists Bon Iver.. US $9.98 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead (NEW CD) US $17.38 Buy It Now 4 days
Shins Live at Third Man Records LP vinyl record broken bells decemberists US $19.95 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS The Crane Wife 2x LP VINYL NEW COLIN MELOY US $29.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Pop/Indie Rock DVD music lot The Format Decemberists Fun. Nate Ruess US $8.99 [0 bids]
THE HUNGER GAMES Double Vinyl LP Arcade Fire Decemberists Neko Case NEW US $28.23 Buy It Now 4 days
GIVE LISTEN HELP 2-CD Coldplay/Beastie Boys/Stooges/Air/Decemberists/Travis etc US $9.60 Buy It Now 4 days
The Crane Wife [LP] by Decemberists (The) (Vinyl, Oct-2006, Capitol/EMI Records) US $19.98 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS: January Hymn / Row Johnny 45 (UK, PS) Rock & Pop US $10.00 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS: Hazards Of Love (rock & pop vinyl LP) 2 LPs US $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Picaresque by The Decemberists (CD, Mar-2005, Kill Rock Stars) US $12.94 Buy It Now 4 days
THE DECEMBERISTS - THE KING IS DEAD [THE DECEMBERISTS] [CD - NEW CD BOXSET US $50.03 Buy It Now 4 days
Decemberists - King Is Dead [CD New] US $11.55 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists Signed Limited Edition Vinyl Lp Record Colin Meloy King Is Dead US $124.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Decemberists - Hazards Of Love [Vinyl New] US $18.81 Buy It Now 4 days
Decemberists - Tain (2005) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists - JANUARY HYMN 7" Black Vinyl RSD Row Jimmy US $4.99 [0 bids]
Decemberists - Picaresque [Vinyl New] US $25.98 Buy It Now 5 days
We All Raise Our Voices to the Air: Live Songs 04.11.08 * by Decemberists... US $17.90 Buy It Now 5 days
Decemberists - Crane Wife [Vinyl New] US $22.91 Buy It Now 5 days
The Decemberists Castaways And Cutouts 180gm Vinyl LP Record indie NEW & SEALED! US $21.99 Buy It Now 5 days
DECEMBERISTS - HAZARDS OF LOVE (LTD) (180GM) NEW VINYL US $29.67 Buy It Now 5 days
The King Is Dead Decemberists Sealed ! New ! US $7.98 Buy It Now 5 days
DECEMBERISTS - PICARESQUE NEW VINYL US $34.85 Buy It Now 5 days
V/A - 97.3 KBCO Studio C Vol. 19 CD Modest Mouse Shins Decemberists Ryan Adams US $12.99 Buy It Now 5 days
PRESERVE VOLUME ONE RARE 2003 BENEFIT CDr THE DECEMBERISTS SHEARWATER SNAILHOUSE US $9.95 [0 bids]
the decemberists limited edition cd US $25.49 Buy It Now 5 days
Colin Meloy Sings SAM COOKE Solo Tour only CD EP New Decemberists Carson Ellis US $24.50 Buy It Now 5 days
Mixed Lot of Pop Rock CD's Decemberists Lenny Kravitz Shrek Ben Lee Chris Isaak US $7.50 [0 bids]
The Decemberists - Hazards Of Love 2LP NEW US $33.99 Buy It Now 5 days
COLIN MELOY Sings Live 2 LP COLOR vinyl The Decemberists Wildwood Death Cab MINT US $59.50 Buy It Now 5 days
The Hazards of Love by The Decemberists (CD, Mar-2009, Capitol) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Patti Smith Two More 7" Vinyl Rare Non LP Lou Reed Decemberists New Sealed Promo US $5.99 [0 bids]
The Crane Wife - Decemberists 11756538 US $14.48 Buy It Now 5 days
Blue Giant self title LP sealed Mint Decemberists Swords Corin Tucker US $21.99 Buy It Now 5 days
The Hazards of Love by The Decemberists (CD, Mar-2009, Capitol) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Always the Bridesmaid Vol. 2 [12"] by the Decemberists (Vinyl 180gr, Nov-2008, J US $17.35 Buy It Now 5 days
Always the Bridesmaid Vol. 3 [12"] by the Decemberists (Vinyl 180gr, Nov-2008, J US $17.35 Buy It Now 5 days
THE DECEMBERISTS colin meloy 2011 NEW/SEALED "long live/king" 10" FOLK INDIE EP US $12.89 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy THE DECEMBERISTS music online Buy THE DECEMBERISTS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE DECEMBERISTS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King ratings distribution

THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King reviews

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
4 stars Of course Colin Meloy would follow up a record titled 'The King is Dead' with one titled 'Long Live the King'. Although this isn't a new studio album proper, but rather a small EP- sized collection of b-sides and songs recorded around the time of the 'King is Dead' CD and released after the band wrapped up their supporting tour and has embarked on a long hiatus while Meloy pursues a writing career and the other members wander off to work on projects of their own.

These songs are even more Americana and stark than 'The King is Dead', consisting almost entirely of acoustic instrumentation and simple vocals and without the sorely- missed keyboards and energy of Jenny Conlee as she recovers from cancer (best wishes Jenny!). R.E.M.'s Peter Buck and Gillian Welch, guests on 'King' are gone here but Laura Veirs and Annalisa Tornfelt, folk-rockers in their own rights provide the requisite understated female backing vocals that have become such a key part of every Decemberists album.

The songs are pretty unassuming, but the key elements of the Decemberists sound come through clearly: Meloy's slightly whiney but endearing vocals and energetic 12-string guitar work; Chris Funk's guitar playing that belies a life spent bouncing between Black Sabbath and Neil Young records; Nate Query's cocky bass; and John Moen's beguilingly simple percussion. And of course those backing vocals helping Meloy weave tales of the weird folk and the depravity that are our heritage.

"E. Watson" is a loosely woven tale apparently taken from Peter Matthiessen's 'Shadow Country' trilogy that combines Meloy's penchant for biographies of seedy characters and the band's newfound appreciation for acoustic folk-rock with heavy country influences. It sets the mood for the entire EP although the band does kick things up to a bit more of a rocking vibe at times. "Foregone" opens with a great combination of Meloy's acoustic guitar and Funk's steel guitar that recalls country-rock greats of our youth like the Marshall Tucker Band, Bellamy Brothers and maybe even a little Poco. I say "ours" because Meloy grew up in northwestern Montana just like I did, and it's obvious to my when listening to these songs that he spun records from those guys at some point in his formative years.

On the other hand "Burying Davy" is something of a throwback to the earlier Decemberists days, chortling out the tale of a scoundrel to the sounds of wicked guitar riffs and a dirge of a rhythm in the vein of "When the War Came", "Shankill Butchers" and "The Infanta". The lyrics here are simple but the band still manages to evoke that dark yet nostalgic mood so much of the Decemberists catalog is imbued with.

"I 4 U & U 4 Me" is a demo cut that is cleaned up pretty well for inclusion here and gives a nice view of the band's keen sense of melody and rhythm and seemingly effortless ability to stick the two together into something toe-tappingly appealing.

The band has performed the Grateful Dead standard "Row Jimmy" live before and included it as the b-side of a seven inch single from 'The King is Dead' so its inclusion here isn't much of a surprise. In fact, the only surprise is that the band hasn't mastered more Dead material given the ease with which they plunk this one out, sounding all the world like a slightly more urban and Northern version of a young Allman Brothers with a little unplugged Bad Company mixed in. Granted, this is the sort of music that will mostly appeal to Americans, but anyone who counts the Decemberists as a favorite band has to appreciate this respectful yet independent approach to the song.

And with the closing "Sonnet" Meloy offers up another "Grace Cathedral Hill" or "Odalisque" indie ballad that will undoubtedly be performed many times in future concerts, assuming the band ever goes back on the road again.

I truly hope this is not the last we hear of the Decemberists, but am glad the band saw to it that loyal fans were rewarded with one more taste of the sounds that helped form some of our best memories of the past decade. If you are even remotely curious about this band I strongly recommend you pick up their 'A Practical Handbook' DVD and then ease your way toward this final EP, picking your way through everything they've done to this point and giving yourself the pleasure of a band that made an awful lot of people happy during their too-brief tenure. A solid four stars and very highly recommended.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#561134) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Review by jammun
4 stars Well [&*!#] yeah I'm in a bar in Montana...could be Missoula or Livingstone or Butte I dunno I-90 runs through many hellholes some of which are toxic and I've been on the road a while...and there is a band playing? and eventually I'm so far gone that I don't even notice that I've had a couple too many pitchers of beer in that bar, but I'm a polite guy, some from Idaho might say scholarly, and I duck under the table and the vomit coming out of my mouth just disappears into the sawdust on the floor, which let's face is there for a reason. Not like they just decide to put it there for ambiance. We are deep into Americana, that being what they call it Now, and there had best be some sawdust to catch the inevitable fallout.

Really, I'm so wrecked that I hardly notice that some of the songs that band is playing sound like The Decemberists, way back before they started playing that uppity prog-rock stuff. Some goes back to a sort of prog-folk sound, that E. Watson song for example. Other stuff is just flat- out psychedelic, say Burying Davy.

But it's ol' Row Jimmy that gets me going. Grab a rabbit by the hare. I don't know if Colin just missed that or decided to go his own road. The guy's no fool so the smart money is on the latter. Those pedal steel tones, that Neil Young staggering back beat that comes in the morning, no not that morning, not the one after a good nights' sleep. No, the one after a bad jag on yer unfortunate drug of choice, when you are just thankful to wake up, who cares where you left the girlfriend or the van.Well it's a Dead song, so what would we expect? But Holy Shite it is beautiful when a band can make it sound like no one else in the band know what the hell they are doing, that blissful night before that morning, and yet it comes together.

So Long Live the King. It's but an EP, no expectations, no promises.

Send comments to jammun (BETA) | Report this review (#580986) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 03, 2011

Post a review of THE DECEMBERISTS "Long Live the King"