LONG LIVE THE KING

Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2011

1. E. Watson (3:32)
2. Foregone (4:07)
3. Burying Davy (5:22)
4. I 4 U & U 4 Me (Home Demo) (3:38)
5. Row Jimmy (6:40)
6. Sonnet (2:56)

Total time: 26:15

Search THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King lyrics

Search THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King tabs

- John Moen / Drums, tambourine, background vocals
- Nate Query / Bass, upright bass
- Chris Funk / Pedal steel guitar, electric guitar
- Colin Meloy / Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, rhythm guitar, tambourine, vocals, various
- Laura Veirs / Background vocals
- Annalisa Tornfelt / Background vocals
- Victor Nash / Trumpet
- Adam Schneider / Trombone

CD Capitol 79168 (2011) US

Thanks to ClemofNazareth for the addition

THE DECEMBERISTS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
The Crane Wife [Vinyl]The Crane Wife [Vinyl]
Capitol 2006
Vinyl$14.69
The Decemberists: A Practical HandbookThe Decemberists: A Practical Handbook
Multiple Formats
Kill Rock Stars 2007
DVD$4.98
THE DECEMBERISTS colin meloy 2011 NEW/SEALED "long live/king" 10" FOLK INDIE EP US $12.89 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Decemberists "We All Raise Our Voices To The Air" 2cd LIVE 04.11-08.11 Sealed US $14.94 Buy It Now 5h 34m
The Decemberists "The Tain" Sealed US $11.61 Buy It Now 5h 34m
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists CD 2006 Capitol/EMI Alternative / Indie Rock US $3.80 [0 bids]
Guster - Keep It Together 1st press vinyl LP OOP RARE the format decemberists US $109.00 Buy It Now 8h 27m
The Decemberists - Always the Bridesmaid Vol. 1,2,3 SEALED-Colored Vinyl US $50.00 Buy It Now 8h 57m
HITDISC HB200637 19TRX.2006 V/A UNPLAYED ROCK PROMO CD-DECEMBERISTS+MY CHEMICAL. US $2.79 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS LP THE CRANE WIFE NEW SEALED 2 X LP'S US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 6m
The Hazards Of Love - Decemberists The CD Sealed New ! US $7.02 Buy It Now 9h 24m
The Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices To The Air 3LP NEW Live Songs 2011 US $36.99 Buy It Now 12h 3m
Picaresque - The Decemberists (CD, Mar-2005, Kill Rock Stars) US $5.85 Buy It Now 14h 7m
Long Live the King [EP] by The Decemberists (CD) US $6.99 Buy It Now 14h 21m
Colin Meloy Sings Live! Cd The Decemberists US $6.99 Buy It Now 14h 40m
The Decemberists Rare Authentic Band Hand Signed CD The King Is Dead 2011 REAL US $84.99 Buy It Now 15h 14m
Decemberists 7" O' Valencia! US $4.57 Buy It Now 22h 34m
The Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices To The Air 3-LP Set (Still Sealed)  US $33.21 [0 bids]
23h
Decemberists - Her Majesty The LP 180g Vinyl NEW US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Her Majesty by Decemberists (The) (CD, Sep-2003, Kill Rock Stars) US $12.98 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS- Hazards Of Love/ 2009 Vinyl LP- SEALED US $26.60 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists- Long Live The King- 2011 EP Vinyl LP- Sealed US $22.80 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS- The King Is Dead- 2011 Sealed Vinyl LP! US $26.60 Buy It Now 1 day
The Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices to the Air: Live Songs - Promo CD! US $7.99 [0 bids]
The Decemberists - JANUARY HYMN 7" Black Vinyl RSD Row Jimmy US $4.99 [0 bids]
CD 'Alternative Rock Xmas' BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE Decemberists + Alarm ++ SEALED US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE MINUS 5-KILLINGSWORTH-RARE ADVANCE PROMO CD-2009-14 TRACKS-The Decemberists US $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
BLACK PRAIRIE-A TEAR IN THE EYE IS WOUND IN THE HEART-PROMO CD-RARE-Decemberists US $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $2.99 [0 bids]
COLIN MELOY Sings Live 2 LP COLOR vinyl The Decemberists Wildwood Death Cab MINT US $59.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Rock Pop cD Crane Wife by The Decemberists Sons,Daughters,When the War,Yankee US $0.67 [0 bids]
Decemberists - We All Raise.. (Promo Imprint Labels) - U.S. PROMO 2 cd Digipak US $13.98 Buy It Now 1 day
The King Is Dead - The Decemberists US $12.14 Buy It Now 1 day
Her Majesty, The Decemberist [LP] by Decemberists (The) (Vinyl,... US $20.00 [0 bids]
1 CENT CD: Decemberists 'The Hazards Of Love' 2009 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - Long Live The King [Vinyl New] US $13.61 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - Her Majesty The Decemberists (2003) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - Hazards Of Love (2009) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.31 Buy It Now 1 day
BLACK PRAIRIE Fortune NEW SEALED RSD 2014 Vinyl LP + Download decemberists US $13.95 Buy It Now 2 days
THE DECEMBERISTS - Lot Of 2 PROMO CD Singles 'Perfect Crime #2' US $0.99 [0 bids]
Picaresque by The Decemberists (Vinyl, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $25.00 [0 bids]
Colin Meloy Sings SAM COOKE Solo Tour only CD EP New Decemberists Carson Ellis US $24.50 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists THE CRANE WIFE Capitol Records NEW SEALED Vinyl 2 LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists THE KING IS DEAD 180g Plus MP3 Download NEW SEALED Vinyl LP US $23.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists Picaresque 2x Vinyl LP Record with Picaresqueties EP US $29.29 Buy It Now 2 days
GREAT LAKES MYTH SOCIETY 2 CDs Barely played SWIMMERS DECEMBERISTS MONGER US $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The King Is Dead [Digipak] by The Decemberists (CD, Jan-2011, Consolidated Arti US $5.75 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists We All Raise Our Voices to the Air: Live Songs 04.11.08 3xLP US $25.00 [0 bids]
The DECEMBERISTS: Long Live the King US $6.99 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS + We All Raise Our Voices ti the Air +3 LP SET+NEW+2012+ US $19.98 [0 bids]
ROUGH TRADE SAMPLER - UK 16 TRK CD - ARCADE FIRE - DECEMBERISTS - SUN KILL MOON US $9.33 Buy It Now 2 days
Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $4.50 [0 bids]
PATTI SMITH Two More Cover remake LOU REED & DECEMBERISTS TRX PROMO 7 INCH VINYL US $44.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE DECEMBERISTS 'Her Majesty' 180g Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $28.02 Buy It Now 2 days
DECEMBERISTS-PICARESQUE VINYL LP NEW US $27.71 Buy It Now 2 days
BLACK PRAIRIE FORTUNE LP NEW SEALED RSD '14 indie-rock w/download Decemberists US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LOOK! THE DECEMBERISTS The King is Dead CD US $5.50 Buy It Now 3 days
LOOK! THE DECEMBERISTS Picturesque CD US $5.50 Buy It Now 3 days
DECEMBERISTS-THE KING IS DEAD-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK F25 US $28.50 Buy It Now 3 days
The Decemberists THE KING IS DEAD 180g Vinyl Record LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists The King Is Dead Vinyl LP Record not cd! indie rock! NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists The Crane Wife 2x Vinyl LP Record indie rock! not cd! NEW US $29.59 Buy It Now 3 days
LOOK! DECEMBERISTS The Crane Wife CD US $5.50 Buy It Now 3 days
DECEMBERISTS Rake's Song b/w East India Lanes 7" NEW VINYL Meloy Sealed RSD 2009 US $9.50 Buy It Now 3 days
DECEMBERISTS Billy Liar b/w Everything I Try Do 7" NEW black VINYL Meloy US $19.50 Buy It Now 3 days
THE DECEMBERISTS - 5 Songs [ep] (CD 2003) USA Import EXC-NM OOP US $21.57 Buy It Now 3 days
The Decemberists The King is Dead Boxed Set; New Condition; 1 of 2500 US $149.00 [0 bids]
Patti Smith Two More US Ltd Ed 7" Vinyl Rare Non LP Lou Reed Decemberists New US $6.59 Buy It Now 3 days
Tain [EP] & The Hazards of Love by Decemberists US $6.00 Buy It Now 3 days
The Decemberists HAZARDS OF LOVE Capitol Records NEW SEALED Vinyl 2 LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Long Live the King, The Decemberists, Good US $8.01 Buy It Now 3 days
DECEMBERISTS: Record Year For Rainfall / Raincoat Song 45 (UK, die-cut cardboar US $12.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists,Comet Gain,Deerhoof,CD,Mollie's Mix US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - Picaresque LP Vinyl Record US $32.12 Buy It Now 3 days
THE DECEMBERISTS - CASTAWAYS AND CUTOUTS - NEW CD US $11.86 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - Hazards Of Love (2009) - New - Long Play Record US $15.84 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - Long Live The King (2011) - New - 12" single US $10.64 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices To (2012) - New - Long Play Record US $26.61 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists The Tain+5 Songs NEVER PLAYED limited to 300 on gray swirl vinyl US $40.00 [1 bids]
Decemberists The Hazards Of Love CD album (CDLP) USA 5099921471025 CAPITOL US $42.35 Buy It Now 4 days
CMJ New Music Vol 112 (Norah Jones,Placebo,Decemberists,Turin Brakes,Venus Hum) US $6.99 [0 bids]
PRESERVE VOLUME ONE RARE 2003 BENEFIT CDr THE DECEMBERISTS SHEARWATER SNAILHOUSE US $9.95 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS THE KING IS DEAD SEALED CD NEW 2011 US $6.44 Buy It Now 4 days
2 NEW SEALED Decemberists vinyl lps The King Is Dead The Hazards of Love US $39.99 Buy It Now 4 days
THE DECEMBERISTS Calamity Song w/ RARE EDIT PROMO DJ CD Single 2011 US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS - LONG LIVE THE KING NEW 10" LP SEALED US $9.89 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS The Crane Wife VINYL 2x LP RECORD Brand New! US $18.98 Buy It Now 4 days
THE DECEMBERISTS The King Is Dead VINYL LP RECORD Brand New! US $18.98 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists Vinyl LP The Crane Wife US $20.00 [0 bids]
CRANE WIFE BY DECEMBERISTS (CD) US $22.77 Buy It Now 4 days
LONG LIVE THE KING BY DECEMBERISTS (CD) US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
HAZARDS OF LOVE BY DECEMBERISTS (CD) US $22.77 Buy It Now 4 days
KING IS DEAD BY DECEMBERISTS (CD) US $22.77 Buy It Now 4 days
Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $4.00 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS Castaways and Cutouts - VINYL LP RECORD Brand New! US $18.98 Buy It Now 4 days
Her Majesty,The Decemberists - Decemberists New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipp US $21.44 Buy It Now 4 days
Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $3.99 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS - WE ALL RAISE OUR VOICES TO THE AIR: LIVE - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.61 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS-LONG LIVE THE KING VINYL LP NEW US $15.58 Buy It Now 4 days
The Tain The Decemberists Audio CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices To The Air The Decemberist CD US $25.74 Buy It Now 4 days
Decemberists - Hazards Of Love 2 LP Vinyl Record LP US $26.72 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy THE DECEMBERISTS music online Buy THE DECEMBERISTS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE DECEMBERISTS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King ratings distribution

THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King reviews

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
4 stars Of course Colin Meloy would follow up a record titled 'The King is Dead' with one titled 'Long Live the King'. Although this isn't a new studio album proper, but rather a small EP- sized collection of b-sides and songs recorded around the time of the 'King is Dead' CD and released after the band wrapped up their supporting tour and has embarked on a long hiatus while Meloy pursues a writing career and the other members wander off to work on projects of their own.

These songs are even more Americana and stark than 'The King is Dead', consisting almost entirely of acoustic instrumentation and simple vocals and without the sorely- missed keyboards and energy of Jenny Conlee as she recovers from cancer (best wishes Jenny!). R.E.M.'s Peter Buck and Gillian Welch, guests on 'King' are gone here but Laura Veirs and Annalisa Tornfelt, folk-rockers in their own rights provide the requisite understated female backing vocals that have become such a key part of every Decemberists album.

The songs are pretty unassuming, but the key elements of the Decemberists sound come through clearly: Meloy's slightly whiney but endearing vocals and energetic 12-string guitar work; Chris Funk's guitar playing that belies a life spent bouncing between Black Sabbath and Neil Young records; Nate Query's cocky bass; and John Moen's beguilingly simple percussion. And of course those backing vocals helping Meloy weave tales of the weird folk and the depravity that are our heritage.

"E. Watson" is a loosely woven tale apparently taken from Peter Matthiessen's 'Shadow Country' trilogy that combines Meloy's penchant for biographies of seedy characters and the band's newfound appreciation for acoustic folk-rock with heavy country influences. It sets the mood for the entire EP although the band does kick things up to a bit more of a rocking vibe at times. "Foregone" opens with a great combination of Meloy's acoustic guitar and Funk's steel guitar that recalls country-rock greats of our youth like the Marshall Tucker Band, Bellamy Brothers and maybe even a little Poco. I say "ours" because Meloy grew up in northwestern Montana just like I did, and it's obvious to my when listening to these songs that he spun records from those guys at some point in his formative years.

On the other hand "Burying Davy" is something of a throwback to the earlier Decemberists days, chortling out the tale of a scoundrel to the sounds of wicked guitar riffs and a dirge of a rhythm in the vein of "When the War Came", "Shankill Butchers" and "The Infanta". The lyrics here are simple but the band still manages to evoke that dark yet nostalgic mood so much of the Decemberists catalog is imbued with.

"I 4 U & U 4 Me" is a demo cut that is cleaned up pretty well for inclusion here and gives a nice view of the band's keen sense of melody and rhythm and seemingly effortless ability to stick the two together into something toe-tappingly appealing.

The band has performed the Grateful Dead standard "Row Jimmy" live before and included it as the b-side of a seven inch single from 'The King is Dead' so its inclusion here isn't much of a surprise. In fact, the only surprise is that the band hasn't mastered more Dead material given the ease with which they plunk this one out, sounding all the world like a slightly more urban and Northern version of a young Allman Brothers with a little unplugged Bad Company mixed in. Granted, this is the sort of music that will mostly appeal to Americans, but anyone who counts the Decemberists as a favorite band has to appreciate this respectful yet independent approach to the song.

And with the closing "Sonnet" Meloy offers up another "Grace Cathedral Hill" or "Odalisque" indie ballad that will undoubtedly be performed many times in future concerts, assuming the band ever goes back on the road again.

I truly hope this is not the last we hear of the Decemberists, but am glad the band saw to it that loyal fans were rewarded with one more taste of the sounds that helped form some of our best memories of the past decade. If you are even remotely curious about this band I strongly recommend you pick up their 'A Practical Handbook' DVD and then ease your way toward this final EP, picking your way through everything they've done to this point and giving yourself the pleasure of a band that made an awful lot of people happy during their too-brief tenure. A solid four stars and very highly recommended.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#561134) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Review by jammun
4 stars Well [&*!#] yeah I'm in a bar in Montana...could be Missoula or Livingstone or Butte I dunno I-90 runs through many hellholes some of which are toxic and I've been on the road a while...and there is a band playing? and eventually I'm so far gone that I don't even notice that I've had a couple too many pitchers of beer in that bar, but I'm a polite guy, some from Idaho might say scholarly, and I duck under the table and the vomit coming out of my mouth just disappears into the sawdust on the floor, which let's face is there for a reason. Not like they just decide to put it there for ambiance. We are deep into Americana, that being what they call it Now, and there had best be some sawdust to catch the inevitable fallout.

Really, I'm so wrecked that I hardly notice that some of the songs that band is playing sound like The Decemberists, way back before they started playing that uppity prog-rock stuff. Some goes back to a sort of prog-folk sound, that E. Watson song for example. Other stuff is just flat- out psychedelic, say Burying Davy.

But it's ol' Row Jimmy that gets me going. Grab a rabbit by the hare. I don't know if Colin just missed that or decided to go his own road. The guy's no fool so the smart money is on the latter. Those pedal steel tones, that Neil Young staggering back beat that comes in the morning, no not that morning, not the one after a good nights' sleep. No, the one after a bad jag on yer unfortunate drug of choice, when you are just thankful to wake up, who cares where you left the girlfriend or the van.Well it's a Dead song, so what would we expect? But Holy Shite it is beautiful when a band can make it sound like no one else in the band know what the hell they are doing, that blissful night before that morning, and yet it comes together.

So Long Live the King. It's but an EP, no expectations, no promises.

Send comments to jammun (BETA) | Report this review (#580986) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 03, 2011

Post a review of THE DECEMBERISTS "Long Live the King"