LONG LIVE THE KING

Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2011

1. E. Watson (3:32)
2. Foregone (4:07)
3. Burying Davy (5:22)
4. I 4 U & U 4 Me (Home Demo) (3:38)
5. Row Jimmy (6:40)
6. Sonnet (2:56)

Total time: 26:15

Search THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King lyrics

Search THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King tabs

- John Moen / Drums, tambourine, background vocals
- Nate Query / Bass, upright bass
- Chris Funk / Pedal steel guitar, electric guitar
- Colin Meloy / Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, rhythm guitar, tambourine, vocals, various
- Laura Veirs / Background vocals
- Annalisa Tornfelt / Background vocals
- Victor Nash / Trumpet
- Adam Schneider / Trombone

CD Capitol 79168 (2011) US

Thanks to ClemofNazareth for the addition

THE DECEMBERISTS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King Music

5 Songs5 Songs
EP
Hush Records 2003
BOSTON SPACESHIPS Camera Found The Ray Gun CD NEW SEALED GARAGE POP DECEMBERISTS US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 22m
BLACK PRAIRIE-A TEAR IN THE EYE IS WOUND IN THE HEART-PROMO CD-RARE-Decemberists US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 30m
1 CENT CD Always The Bridesmaid + Instrumentals - Decemberists PROMO 2CD US $3.25 [4 bids]
THE MINUS 5-KILLINGSWORTH-RARE ADVANCE PROMO CD-2009-14 TRACKS-The Decemberists US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 32m
DECEMBERISTS**THE KING IS DEAD **CD+DVD US $17.84 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Decemberists - Always the Bridesmaid & instrumentals - U.S. PROMO 2 cd - RARE! US $29.97 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Black Prairie - How Do You Ruin Me? - 2012 U.S. PROMO cd- RARE! Decemberists US $8.37 Buy It Now 6h 3m
THE DECEMBERISTS 'Long Live The King' Vinyl 10" NEW & SEALED US $19.27 Buy It Now 8h 42m
KBCO Studio C Vol. 19 CD Paolo Nutini Rodrigo y Gabriela Decemberists John Mayer US $10.00 [0 bids]
The Decemberists January Hymn Ltd Ed Record Store Day 7" Vinyl Sealed New OOP US $5.99 Buy It Now 13h 42m
CHIEFTAINS Voice of Ages SEALED CD BON IVER Decemberists CIVIL WARS Paolo Nutini US $7.99 Buy It Now 23h 49m
Decemberists Long Live The King 10" Sealed Vinyl 6 Tracks US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Norfolk & Western - A Gilded Age LP SEALED Decemberists US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - Crane Wife [CD New] US $13.67 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS, THE-HAZARDS OF LOVE (LTD) (OGV) VINYL LP NEW US $25.49 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS - DECEMBERISTS: A PRACTICAL HANDBOOK NEW DVD US $20.96 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS-THE KING IS DEAD-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK F25 US $26.50 Buy It Now 1 day
The Decemberists - The King is Dead LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead NEW CD US $14.69 Buy It Now 1 day
The Decemberists "January Hymn" 7" Vinyl Picture Sleeve ~Listen~ 2010 US $2.65 [1 bids]
DECEMBERISTS LONG LIVE THE KING 10" VINYL LP SEALED US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS**WE ALL RAISE OUR VOICES TO THE AIR (LIVE 2011)**2 CD SET US $17.84 Buy It Now 1 day
The Decemberists January Hymn Ltd Ed Record Store Day 7" Vinyl Sealed New OOP US $5.00 [0 bids]
Decemberists : The King Is Dead (2CDs) (2011) US $13.21 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS - HAZARDS OF LOVE NEW CD US $22.77 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - Long Live The King CD US $11.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - Picaresque CD US $18.28 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - Castaways & Cutout CD US $16.72 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS - PICARESQUE NEW CD US $22.40 Buy It Now 1 day
Korn Army Of Anyone Decemberists Saosin Amos Lee Meat Loaf Lily Allen PROMO CD! US $2.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Music For A New Year 2011 Uncut Magazine CD Iron & Wine Low Anthem Decemberists US $1.92 Buy It Now 1 day
WAKE UP CD from UNCUT Magazine The Shins, TV On The Radio, Decemberists, Dears US $2.00 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS**PICARESQUE (GATEFOLD/DOWNLOAD)**2 VINYL SET US $27.54 Buy It Now 2 days
Decemberists "Sixteen Military Wives" vinyl 45 RPM 7" EU UK Rough Trade US $19.99 [0 bids]
Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $4.00 [0 bids]
1 CENT CD The Hazards of Love by The Decemberists SEALED 2009 ALBUM US $0.06 [2 bids]
The Decemberists Long Live The King 10" vinyl US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Hazards of Love, The Decemberists, Good US $2.03 Buy It Now 2 days
Her Majesty the Decemberists, The Decemberists, Excellent US $6.82 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists Long Live The King 6 Song Vinyl EP 2011 Capital Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS 'Picaresque' Gatefold Double Vinyl LP + Download NEW US $33.29 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists We All Raise Our Voices to the Air (Live CD US $14.97 Buy It Now 2 days
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists CD 2006 Capitol/EMI Alternative / Indie Rock US $3.80 [0 bids]
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love - U.S. PROMO cd 082714 US $8.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $0.99 [1 bids]
RARE OOP Studio C KBCO Vol. 19 CD Modest Mouse THE SHINS Ryan Adams Decemberists US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Decemberists Crane Wife Promotional Poster US $5.00 [0 bids]
The Decemberists - Down By the Water 1-track Promo CD Single US $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
2 NEW SEALED Decemberists vinyl lps The King Is Dead The Hazards of Love US $35.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists The Hazards Of Love 17 Trk Double Vinyl LP SEALED US $56.10 Buy It Now 2 days
DECEMBERISTS Sixteen Military Wives 7" B/w From My Own True Love Demo (rtrads271 US $9.57 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists Dharma Bums Givin In Brand New 7" John Moen Flamin Groovies Shake US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices To The Air The Decemberist [Vinyl New] US $29.58 Buy It Now 3 days
DECEMBERISTS We All Raise Our Voices To The Air 3x LP VINYL NEW COLIN MELOY US $44.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DECEMBERISTS - KING IS DEAD NEW VINYL US $27.62 Buy It Now 3 days
The Hazards Of Love - Decemberists The CD Sealed New ! US $7.02 Buy It Now 3 days
The Decemberists - Long Live The King EP NEW 10" Sealed US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Picaresque by The Decemberists (CD, Mar-2005, Kill Rock Stars) Like New! US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists- We All Raise Our Voices To The.. 3 LP SET/ SEALED US $35.10 Buy It Now 3 days
DECEMBERISTS - WE ALL RAISE OUR VOICES TO THE AIR: LIVE SONGS NEW VINYL US $41.70 Buy It Now 3 days
Fancipantz "Dispossession" 7" RARE Nada Surf / Decemberists Side Project Ltd 1k! US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE DECEMBERISTS Always A Bridesmaid Vol.1 Valerie Plame SEALED Vinyl US $14.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Long Live the King - Decemberists New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $11.02 Buy It Now 3 days
DECEMBERISTS - WE ALL RAISE OUR VOICES TO THE AIR: LIVE SONGS NEW CD US $31.01 Buy It Now 3 days
We All Raise Our Voices to the Air Live Songs 04.11.08 by The Decemberists NEW US $14.98 Buy It Now 3 days
V/A - 97.3 KBCO Studio C Vol. 19 CD Modest Mouse Shins Decemberists Ryan Adams US $6.99 [1 bids]
Black Prairie "Fortune" NEW Sealed LP *RSD 2014* Decemberists, Dolorean US $15.00 [0 bids]
Colin Meloy Sings Live! CD by Colin Meloy (The Decemberists) Kill Rock Stars Hip US $6.29 Buy It Now 3 days
DECEMBERISTS, The - Her Majesty (reissue) - LP US $29.02 Buy It Now 3 days
THE DECEMBERISTS - THE KING IS DEAD [DIGIPAK] [CD BOXSET] [2 - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.82 Buy It Now 3 days
The DECEMBERISTS: Long Live the King US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
THE DECEMBERISTS + We All Raise Our Voices ti the Air +3 LP SET+NEW+2012+ US $19.98 [0 bids]
DECEMBERISTS RARE Always Bridesmaid 2 Days Elaine 7" NM VINYL Meloy Rough Trade US $16.50 Buy It Now 4 days
Decemberists - The Crane Wife NEW CD US $14.69 Buy It Now 4 days
THE DECEMBERISTS - PICARESQUE 11 TRK CD ALBUM PROMO US $4.79 [0 bids]
Picaresque by The Decemberists US $4.98 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists Record Store Day 2009 The Rake's Song b/w East India Lanes US $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists PRESENT PICARESQUE +MP3 Download NEW SEALED Vinyl 2 LP US $26.99 Buy It Now 4 days
(EP47) The Decemberists, Don't Carry It All - 2011 DJ CD US $3.93 Buy It Now 4 days
Decemberists Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + Free Bonuses US $8.46 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS - LONG LIVE THE KING NEW VINYL US $19.59 Buy It Now 4 days
Billy Liar [Single] by The Decemberists (CD, Sep-2004, Kill Rock Stars) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Decemberists - Long Live The King [CD New] US $8.26 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists Rsd 7" January Hymn 2010 Sealed US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The King Is Dead by The Decemberists (CD, Jan-2011, Rough Trade) US $2.99 [0 bids]
DECEMBERISTS - LONG LIVE THE KING NEW CD US $12.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Picaresque by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) Free Ship #EV15 US $6.96 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists - This Is Why We Fight 1-track Promo CD Single US $7.00 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists lot of 6 albums CDs Like New US $0.99 [0 bids]
Picaresque by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $4.50 Buy It Now 4 days
THE DECEMBERISTS CD LOT CRANE ARCADE FIRE COLIN VAMPIRE TV LOVE US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead - Gatefold LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife - 2006 SEALED Gatefold Double USA LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Long Live the King by The Decemberists *New CD* US $5.33 Buy It Now 4 days
THE DECEMBERISTS_The Hazards Of Love_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA_K2 US $8.76 Buy It Now 4 days
We All Raise Our Voices To The Air (Live Songs 04.11-08.11) - Decemberists US $19.39 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS - WE ALL RAISE OUR VOICES TO THE AIR THE DECEMBERIST [CD NEW] US $19.17 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead - RTRADCD656 US $16.93 Buy It Now 4 days
BLACK PRAIRIE FORTUNE LP NEW SEALED RSD '14 indie-rock w/download Decemberists US $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists Vinyl LP The Crane Wife US $20.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE DECEMBERISTS music online Buy THE DECEMBERISTS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE DECEMBERISTS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King ratings distribution

THE DECEMBERISTS Long Live the King reviews

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
4 stars Of course Colin Meloy would follow up a record titled 'The King is Dead' with one titled 'Long Live the King'. Although this isn't a new studio album proper, but rather a small EP- sized collection of b-sides and songs recorded around the time of the 'King is Dead' CD and released after the band wrapped up their supporting tour and has embarked on a long hiatus while Meloy pursues a writing career and the other members wander off to work on projects of their own.

These songs are even more Americana and stark than 'The King is Dead', consisting almost entirely of acoustic instrumentation and simple vocals and without the sorely- missed keyboards and energy of Jenny Conlee as she recovers from cancer (best wishes Jenny!). R.E.M.'s Peter Buck and Gillian Welch, guests on 'King' are gone here but Laura Veirs and Annalisa Tornfelt, folk-rockers in their own rights provide the requisite understated female backing vocals that have become such a key part of every Decemberists album.

The songs are pretty unassuming, but the key elements of the Decemberists sound come through clearly: Meloy's slightly whiney but endearing vocals and energetic 12-string guitar work; Chris Funk's guitar playing that belies a life spent bouncing between Black Sabbath and Neil Young records; Nate Query's cocky bass; and John Moen's beguilingly simple percussion. And of course those backing vocals helping Meloy weave tales of the weird folk and the depravity that are our heritage.

"E. Watson" is a loosely woven tale apparently taken from Peter Matthiessen's 'Shadow Country' trilogy that combines Meloy's penchant for biographies of seedy characters and the band's newfound appreciation for acoustic folk-rock with heavy country influences. It sets the mood for the entire EP although the band does kick things up to a bit more of a rocking vibe at times. "Foregone" opens with a great combination of Meloy's acoustic guitar and Funk's steel guitar that recalls country-rock greats of our youth like the Marshall Tucker Band, Bellamy Brothers and maybe even a little Poco. I say "ours" because Meloy grew up in northwestern Montana just like I did, and it's obvious to my when listening to these songs that he spun records from those guys at some point in his formative years.

On the other hand "Burying Davy" is something of a throwback to the earlier Decemberists days, chortling out the tale of a scoundrel to the sounds of wicked guitar riffs and a dirge of a rhythm in the vein of "When the War Came", "Shankill Butchers" and "The Infanta". The lyrics here are simple but the band still manages to evoke that dark yet nostalgic mood so much of the Decemberists catalog is imbued with.

"I 4 U & U 4 Me" is a demo cut that is cleaned up pretty well for inclusion here and gives a nice view of the band's keen sense of melody and rhythm and seemingly effortless ability to stick the two together into something toe-tappingly appealing.

The band has performed the Grateful Dead standard "Row Jimmy" live before and included it as the b-side of a seven inch single from 'The King is Dead' so its inclusion here isn't much of a surprise. In fact, the only surprise is that the band hasn't mastered more Dead material given the ease with which they plunk this one out, sounding all the world like a slightly more urban and Northern version of a young Allman Brothers with a little unplugged Bad Company mixed in. Granted, this is the sort of music that will mostly appeal to Americans, but anyone who counts the Decemberists as a favorite band has to appreciate this respectful yet independent approach to the song.

And with the closing "Sonnet" Meloy offers up another "Grace Cathedral Hill" or "Odalisque" indie ballad that will undoubtedly be performed many times in future concerts, assuming the band ever goes back on the road again.

I truly hope this is not the last we hear of the Decemberists, but am glad the band saw to it that loyal fans were rewarded with one more taste of the sounds that helped form some of our best memories of the past decade. If you are even remotely curious about this band I strongly recommend you pick up their 'A Practical Handbook' DVD and then ease your way toward this final EP, picking your way through everything they've done to this point and giving yourself the pleasure of a band that made an awful lot of people happy during their too-brief tenure. A solid four stars and very highly recommended.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#561134) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Review by jammun
4 stars Well [&*!#] yeah I'm in a bar in Montana...could be Missoula or Livingstone or Butte I dunno I-90 runs through many hellholes some of which are toxic and I've been on the road a while...and there is a band playing? and eventually I'm so far gone that I don't even notice that I've had a couple too many pitchers of beer in that bar, but I'm a polite guy, some from Idaho might say scholarly, and I duck under the table and the vomit coming out of my mouth just disappears into the sawdust on the floor, which let's face is there for a reason. Not like they just decide to put it there for ambiance. We are deep into Americana, that being what they call it Now, and there had best be some sawdust to catch the inevitable fallout.

Really, I'm so wrecked that I hardly notice that some of the songs that band is playing sound like The Decemberists, way back before they started playing that uppity prog-rock stuff. Some goes back to a sort of prog-folk sound, that E. Watson song for example. Other stuff is just flat- out psychedelic, say Burying Davy.

But it's ol' Row Jimmy that gets me going. Grab a rabbit by the hare. I don't know if Colin just missed that or decided to go his own road. The guy's no fool so the smart money is on the latter. Those pedal steel tones, that Neil Young staggering back beat that comes in the morning, no not that morning, not the one after a good nights' sleep. No, the one after a bad jag on yer unfortunate drug of choice, when you are just thankful to wake up, who cares where you left the girlfriend or the van.Well it's a Dead song, so what would we expect? But Holy Shite it is beautiful when a band can make it sound like no one else in the band know what the hell they are doing, that blissful night before that morning, and yet it comes together.

So Long Live the King. It's but an EP, no expectations, no promises.

Send comments to jammun (BETA) | Report this review (#580986) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 03, 2011

Post a review of THE DECEMBERISTS "Long Live the King"