THE BARGHEST O' WHITBY

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

My Dying Bride The Barghest O' Whitby album cover

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2011

1. The Barghest O' Whitby (37:07)

Search MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby lyrics

Search MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby tabs

Thanks to toroddfuglesteg for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby Music

Peaceville / Snapper 2011
Like Gods Of The SunLike Gods Of The Sun
Extra tracks
Peaceville UK 2006
@ CD My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours NEW SS DIGI PACK / PEACEVILLE 2001 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
THE HISTORY OF PEACEVILLE PARADISE LOST AT THE GATES ANATHEMA MY DYING BRIDE US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
MY DYING BRIDE - THE VAULTED SHADOWS: CD ALBUM (May 26th 2014) US $16.80 Buy It Now 2h 59m
My Dying Bride - Dreadful Hour [CD New] US $11.01 Buy It Now 5h 45m
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [CD New] US $12.12 Buy It Now 6h 55m
For Lies I Sire by My Dying Bride (CD, Mar-2009, Pea... US $11.54 Buy It Now 7h
WEDDING IN HADES 2012 Misbehaviour CD Gothic Doom Death My Dying Bride Anathema US $13.99 Buy It Now 8h 40m
GRAVEFLOWER 2012 Returning To The Primary Source CD Doom Death My Dying Bride US $13.99 Buy It Now 10h 26m
My Dying Bride, Turn Loose the Swans Audio CD US $11.09 Buy It Now 10h 44m
Vaulted Shadows - My Dying Bride US $12.49 Buy It Now 11h 5m
My Dying Bride, Meisterwerk 1 Audio CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 47m
Virgin Black-Requiem-Mezzo Forte(promo cd)My Dying Bride Moonspell US $0.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride, Angel & The Dark River Audio CD US $8.39 Buy It Now 14h 55m
MY DYING BRIDE EMBROIDERED PATCH DOOM DEATH ANATHEMA PARADISE LOST Metal Negro US $4.99 Buy It Now 17h
MY DYING BRIDE FOR LIES I SIRE SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $19.99 Buy It Now 18h 7m
MY DYING BRIDE A LANE OF DEATHLESS KINGS SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $19.99 Buy It Now 18h 7m
NOVEMBERS DOOM-APHOTIC-CD-doom-death-goth-ghost brigade-my dying bride US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 27m
INNER MISSING-ESCAPISM-CD-doom-death-my dying bride-mourning beloveth US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 8m
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River/Darkest Eyes CD US $18.70 Buy It Now 23h 38m
SHATTERED HOPE 2014 Waters Of Lethe CD Doom Death Ophis My Dying Bride Evoken US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - The angel and the dark river (SIGNED/Autographed!!) US $29.99 [0 bids]
ART IN EXILE- S/T CD NEW PROGRESSIVE DARK/GOTHIC METAL OPETH MY DYING BRIDE 2008 US $3.26 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Dreadful Hour CD US $20.75 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE - CDVILEF245 US $17.18 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride : Meisterwerk 1 CD (2008) US $10.18 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride : The Light at the End of the World CD (2008) US $10.55 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES (CD+DVD) - CDVILEF406X US $27.48 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - AN ODE TO WOE /CD+DVD/ NEW 2008 US $14.38 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA 2CD NEW 2011 ???????????????????????????????????? US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride 34.788% Complete SEALED (CD) '98 Original 1st Press Mayhem metal US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 2 [CD New] US $10.39 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE the thrash of naked limbs CD (shipping are not 3 $ !!!) US $22.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE symphonaire infernus et spera... CD (shipping are not 3 $ !!!) US $23.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE i am the bloody earth CD (shipping are not 3 $ !!!) US $22.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans (CD, Feb-1994, Futurist/Mayhem Records) US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOONSPELL The Great Silver Eye CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Anathema / Cm'07 US $3.52 [2 bids]
SILENTIUM "Infinita plango vulnera"cd Spikefarm 1999,My dying bride,Yearning US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE DELUXE LTD ED SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT CD BOX SET W/POSTE US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SILENTIUM "Altum"cd Spikefarm 2001,My dying bride,Yearning US $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 [CD New] US $12.23 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River/Darkest Eyes [CD New] US $12.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol [LP, Peaceville Records, NEW] Carcass My Dying Bride US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.07 Buy It Now 1 day
SWALLOW THE SUN - THE MORNING NEVER CAME CD MY DYING BRIDE OPETH US $2.99 [1 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE a map of all our failures VINYL LP RECORD NEW! US $29.98 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 2 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.07 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - Albion (20th Ann Tour) Longsleeve T-shirt - NEW - MEDIUM ONLY US $24.07 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE Introducing Best Of Greatest Hits Double CD NEW & SEALED US $12.70 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - DREADFUL HOUR NEW CD US $23.70 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - ANGEL & THE DARK RIVER / DARKEST EYES (+DVD) NEW CD US $21.13 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 2 CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE A Map Of All Our Failures Official Sew On PATCH New US $7.18 Buy It Now 1 day
SILENT STREAM OF GODLESS ELEGY "Relic Dances" LP my dying bride the gathering US $22.94 Buy It Now 2 days
DOOMED "Our Ruin Silhouettes" CD winter my dying bride US $16.39 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST In Requiem LP Sealed! MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA TIAMAT THERION OPETH US $30.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Line of Deathless Kings (CD,'06,Peaceville) Cardboard Sleeve! US $5.00 [0 bids]
(METAL CD) MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK I (SEALED DOOM) US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Official Boxed Mug - MDBMUG01 - My Dying Bride US $11.46 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - A Map Of All Our Failures (NEW CD & DVD) US $24.16 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride As the flower withers cd US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride 34.788% Complete Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville Records US $8.18 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Light At The End Of The World Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.18 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Dreadful Hours Digipack CD 2001 Peaceville US $8.18 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE THE VOICE OF THE WRETCHED SEALED CD NEW US $5.26 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride Songs of Darkness Words of Light Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.18 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA NEW CD US $30.71 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby (Red LP) Opeth, Katatonia, Death, slayer US $100.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Like Gods Of The Sun - 1996 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.38 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS NEW CD US $18.54 Buy It Now 3 days
ALBEZ DUZ DIGI-CD PARADISE LOST MY DYING BRIDE TIAMAT BLACK WIDOW GHOST HUATA US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
SATURNUS Martyre 1stPress Euphonious Rec. 2000 (katatonia my dying bride) US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ALEXANDER GLAVNIY Without Waste Words AUTUMNIA OFFICIUM TRISTE MY DYING BRIDE US $8.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Onirophagus - Defiler of hope (pro cdr) MY DYING BRIDE AUTOPSY KATATONIA ASPHYX US $5.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - Evinta I & Ii [CD New] US $24.93 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride : Evinta CD (2011) US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + FREE BONUSES US $8.06 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE TURN LOOSE THE SWANS + 3 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE 34.788 % COMPLETE + BONUS TRACK SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride GOD IS ALONE 7 1991 VERY RARE LISTENABLE!!!307 of 1000 US $170.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 1 - NEW CD US $12.13 Buy It Now 3 days
Tiamat CD Prey opeth my dying bride type o negative paradise lost amorphis US $3.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $4.90 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE Official LICENSED Sew-on WOVEN PATCH US $4.90 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE-An Ode To Woe CD + DVD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $17.92 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE-Like Gods Of The Sun CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $11.63 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE-Meisterwerk 1 CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed-Black Metal US $10.74 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride big cd collection inc rare 3 cd Evinta Doom Metal US $60.00 [0 bids]
Ashes You Leave - The Passage Back of Life CD 1999 SEALED My Dying Bride US $3.00 [0 bids]
HAMFERD Vilst Er Sidsta Fet CD EP NEW/SEALED My Dying Bride Tyr Katatonia Opeth US $17.49 Buy It Now 3 days
WHISPERING GALLERY - Shades of Sorrow DIGI CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $10.99 Buy It Now 3 days
FIRST PRESS OPETH Still Life CD ORG Peaceville 2000 KATATONIA MY DYING BRIDE US $20.99 Buy It Now 4 days
LYCUS Tempest DIGIPAK MOURNFUL CONGREGATION PALLBEARER MY DYING BRIDE ASUNDER US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
AMORPHIS Tuonela G/F LP 2013 anathema my dying bride in flames opeth nightwish US $31.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride - The Light At The End Of The World (digipack) (CD, Jan-2004) US $9.49 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA"Pentecost III"cd Peaceville 95,Paradise Lost,My dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light [CD New] US $9.94 Buy It Now 4 days
Onirophagus - Defiler Of Hope (CD new)(Evoken, Funeral, My Dying Bride, Frailty) US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT NEW CD US $17.07 Buy It Now 4 days
beseech - drama, type o negative moonspell darkseed tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby reviews

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
3 stars "My form is bloody and it is true, it is the night I wear around me..."

As a long time fan of this band, I was so excited, especially as a progressive rock fan, to see doom metal masters My Dying Bride release a single 27 minute piece. The band has always shown plenty of progressive elements in their music, with long instrumental sections, dramatic vocals, inventive arrangements and rich lyrics. They have constantly refined and experimented with their sombre and highly emotional music, so it's very admirable to see them push themselves with a long and challenging extended piece.

The title refers to a "barghest", a word for an English spirit that takes the form of a huge black dog, with monstrous teeth and claws. Often conjured by acts of violence and betrayal, they torment and prey on solitary travellers. Some sources place the inspiration for the descriptions in the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes book, `The Hound of the Baskervilles'. The tale takes place in Whitby, the same town as Bram Stoker's `Dracula'. All perfect settings for the grim and bleak tale that follows.

Beginning with the crack of thunderstorms and howling winds, down-tempo sludgy bass, metal guitar riffs and weeping violin create a mood full of unease and violent rage. The painfully slow riffs in the opening few minutes are completely unmelodic and vile. The music is dissonant, dirty and even slightly atonal, making it hugely oppressive. Aaron Stainthorpe's growls, in the guise of the title beast, are ferocious and predatory. When he switches to clean vocals, he has such a mournful, solemn and deeply moving quality. The majestic winding guitar lines weaving around the violin is effective, with long drawn out notes and squalling feedback heightening the tension. They drift into a quieter and more reflective middle section, before one of those classic My Dying Bride highly emotive and imperial sounding twin guitar melodies breaks through the sound of cracking thunder. Commanding drumming builds the drama swamping Aaron's seductive tones. He effectively uses both clean and maniacal shrieking vocals double-tracked in this section that is highly unnerving and tormented. The climax has a suitably dramatic and nightmarish rush of adrenaline and crushing tension. Squealing distortion, punishing kick-drums and rapid-fire riffing announce the return of the growled Beast, as the piece spirals into chaos and thrashing foul violence. The piece returns again to the rainy misery of the opening.

Aaron sounds as charismatic as ever, his growled voice still truly devilish, his clean voice full of sorrow and regret. When he takes on the inner monologue of the title beast, his growl has appropriate snarl and spitting rage. As always his lyrics are poetic with vivid detail. The band compliment him perfectly, resembling a dark well of swirling aggression and raw primal ferocity.

`Whitby' is a truly uncompromising work by the band. The production is thick, cold and harsh. Some listeners may find the piece too dense and plodding, with little in the way of memorable riffs or vocal melodies. I don't think this is due to a lack of inspiration or the well of ideas running dry, I think it's more a case of the band pushing themselves and their audience in new directions. It's bleak, hard, challenging and slow to unwind. Looking at it from the perspective of a progressive rock fan, these sort of musical statements are hugely satisfying. There are many other albums from the band that I enjoy more than this, that I return to more often, but it's still a fascinating and worthwhile piece. I wouldn't, however, recommend it to new listeners, as I think almost any of their other albums would be a more ideal introduction.

I purchased the album on vinyl LP, with the piece split over two sides. There is no obtrusive cut, as the first side ends just after the mellow section in the middle of the track briefly fades out. The front cover features a stunning painting of the title beast by Aaron, with the vinyl format especially showing off the haunting and moody artwork. The inner sleeve contains the lyrics laid out like a beautiful gothic poem.

With it's grand mix of alternating vocal styles, moving violin, metallic riffs and gothic splendor, `The Barghest O' Whitby' truly encompasses all eras of the 20 year band and reveals all kinds of new possibilities. It's a satisfying and demanding grandiose work of great depth, well worth three and a half stars.

This 27 minute piece is a dark and wicked symphonic poem carved on a slab of hard grey stone.

Send comments to Aussie-Byrd-Brother (BETA) | Report this review (#833972) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 06, 2012

Review by UMUR
3 stars "The Barghest O' Whitby" is an EP release by UK doom metal act My Dying Bride. The EP was released through Peaceville Records in November 2011. "The Barghest O' Whitby" consists of just a single 27:04 minutes long track. Itīs the first My Dying Bride release to feature new keyboard player/violinist Shaun Macgowan. The EP also sees a session performance by former My Dying Bride drummer Shaun "Winter" Taylor Steels.

Itīs not that My Dying Bride arenīt known for writing long tracks, but "The Barghest O' Whitby" is the longest track yet released by the band. Itīs an interesting track as it features almost all of the bandīs trademark elements in the same song. Über melancholic violin parts, atmospheric keyboards, crushingly heavy guitar riffing (as well as great harmony work), heavy yet rythmically intriguing drumming and of course the growling and clean vocals by lead vocalist Aaron Stainthorpe. Unfortunately itīs also a track thatīs a bit fragmented and repetitive and it doesnīt always flow as well as it could have (sometimes Iīm reminded a bit of the bandīs debut album "As the Flower Withers (1992)" in that respect). The fact that the track is divided into two parts to fit the vinyl format, isnīt exactly good for the flow of the track either. Itīs a track that wins upon repeated listens, but I think it drags a bit after the first 15:38 minutes (or on side 2 of the vinyl version). The last 11:28 minutes are definitely not as interesting as the first part of the track.

...so Iīm a bit reluctant to call "The Barghest O' Whitby" an excellent release. Itīs well played and well produced (I enjoy the rather raw quality of the sound), but the songwriting is slightly lacking. Still a 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved. I guess that says something about the generally high quality of the bandīs output. Even when they release something that isnīt up to their highest standards, itīs still a great listen.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#1011120) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 04, 2013

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "The Barghest O' Whitby"