THE BARGHEST O' WHITBY

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

My Dying Bride The Barghest O' Whitby album cover

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2011

1. The Barghest O' Whitby (37:07)

Search MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby lyrics

Search MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby tabs

Thanks to toroddfuglesteg for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby Music

Peaceville UK 2007
Light at the End of the WorldLight at the End of the World
Peaceville UK 2004
My Dying Bride - The Light At The End Of The World CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - I Am the Bloody Earth 1994 Peaceville 1st Press ORG anathema US $9.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Thrash of Naked Limbs 1993 Peaceville 1st Press ORG anathema US $18.99 [0 bids]
HAMFERD Vilst Er Sidsta Fet CD EP NEW/SEALED My Dying Bride Tyr Katatonia Opeth US $17.49 Buy It Now 4h 46m
MY DYING BRIDE FOR LIES I SIRE SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 56m
MY DYING BRIDE A LANE OF DEATHLESS KINGS SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Anathema: Eternity Ultra Rare Ltd. Digi, Paradise Lost, Katatonia,My Dying Bride US $65.99 [0 bids]
PARADISE LOST: In Requiem, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Sentenced, Insomnium US $6.66 [0 bids]
Ashes You Leave: Passage Back to Life, 3rd & The Mortal, My Dying Bride, US $2.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
FIRST PRESS OPETH Still Life CD ORG Peaceville 2000 KATATONIA MY DYING BRIDE US $20.99 Buy It Now 10h 29m
Anathema / The Silent Enigma JAPAN+1 My Dying Bride OOP!!! US $49.99 Buy It Now 10h 49m
LYCUS Tempest DIGIPAK MOURNFUL CONGREGATION PALLBEARER MY DYING BRIDE ASUNDER US $15.00 Buy It Now 10h 59m
NEX zero CD SEALED candlemass my dying bride katatonia autopsy anathema doom US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 20m
My Dying Bride - The Light At The End Of The World (digipack) (CD, Jan-2004) US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 7m
MY DYING BRIDE**LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $25.50 Buy It Now 18h 52m
ANATHEMA"Pentecost III"cd Peaceville 95,Paradise Lost,My dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 20h 56m
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness Words Of Light [CD New] US $11.95 Buy It Now 22h 8m
Onirophagus - Defiler Of Hope (CD new)(Evoken, Funeral, My Dying Bride, Frailty) US $8.99 Buy It Now 22h 29m
1000 Funerals - Butterfly Decadence CD 2011 - MINT Doom Iran My Dying Bride US $8.07 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride TURN LOOSE THE SWANS LPx2 UK 801056803917 Peaceville new US $26.98 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride TURN LOOSE THE SWANS LPx2 UK 801056803917 Peaceville new US $31.28 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE 34.788%... Complete 2xLP REISSUE avant-death doom paradise lost US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - Songs:T-shirt - NEW - SMALL ONLY US $26.42 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST - LOST PARADISE CD MY DYING BRIDE US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE:Trinity:T-shirt NEW:MEDIUM ONLY US $26.42 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - A Map Of All Our Failures NEW CD US $18.88 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT NEW CD US $16.74 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Voice Of The Wretched CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Evinta I & Ii CD US $26.47 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - VAULTED SHADOWS THE - CDVILEDH509 US $16.78 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Evinta (2011) 2CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $10.12 Buy It Now 1 day
For Lies I Sire by My Dying Bride *New CD* US $11.18 Buy It Now 1 day
The Dreadful Hours by My Dying Bride *New CD* US $7.72 Buy It Now 1 day
A Map of All Our Failures by My Dying Bride *New CD* US $11.57 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers [CD New] US $10.84 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers [Vinyl New] US $25.48 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Light At The End Of The World [Vinyl New] US $29.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Ashes You Leave - The Passage Back of Life CD 1999 SEALED My Dying Bride US $3.00 [0 bids]
anathema serenades t shirt doom metal death paradise lost ulver my dying bride US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
anathema serenades t shirt doom metal death paradise lost ulver my dying bride US $17.69 Buy It Now 1 day
KERRANG-PROMO CD-SEPULTURA+KORN MIXES-SYSTEM OF A DOWN-GARBAGE-MY DYING BRIDE+VA US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
FIERCE RECORDINGS RARE PROMO CD-MY DYING BRIDE-PARADISE LOST-OVERDOSE-WITHSTAND+ US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
my dying bride limited edition cd US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [CD New] US $13.57 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE**EVINTA (LTD ED W/BOOKLET)**2CD US $13.69 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - AS THE FLOWER WITHERS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $16.74 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - AS THE FLOWER WITHERS NEW VINYL US $35.03 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride : Meisterwerk 2 CD (2001) US $8.98 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE PROMO Mayhem Records 2 CD SAMPLER My Dying Bride DIO Enuff Znuff + FIERCE US $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride Angel & The Dark River CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
The Angel and the Dark River by My Dying Bride *New CD* US $7.95 Buy It Now 2 days
WHISPERING GALLERY - Shades of Sorrow DIGI CD OPETH, MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun - Cassette , Made In Poland US $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride The Angel and the Dark River Digipack CD 2003 Peaceville Records US $8.05 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride Songs of Darkness Words of Light Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.05 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride As The Flower Withers Slipcase CD 2001 Peaceville Records US $7.24 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Light At The End Of The World Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.05 [0 bids]
MAR DE GRISES Streams Inwards DIGIPAK MY DYING BRIDE US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ETHERIAL WINDS - Saved CD rare 1.press 1994 M.M.I. / my dying bride crematory US $39.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride : As the Flower Withers CD (1995) US $13.31 Buy It Now 2 days
SHATTERED HOPE 2010 Absence CD Doom Death Saturnus Ataraxie My Dying Bride US $13.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE*ANGEL&DARK RIVER/FOR DARKEST EYES*CD/DVD US $12.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Shever - Rituals (LP Red) My Dying Bride, Opeth, Death, Slayer, US $26.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Mourning beloveth - Dust CD 2nd Press My dying bride Paradise Lost Ophis Evoken US $20.00 [0 bids]
SILENTIUM "SI.VM E.T A.V.VM"cd Spikefarm 2001,My dying bride US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - SYMPHONAIRE INFERNUS ET SPERA EMPYRIUM MCD - Peaceville 1991 - US $46.99 Buy It Now 2 days
34.788%...Complete by My Dying Bride (CD, Jul-2003, Peaceville Records ) PROMO US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LET ME DREAM - My Dear Succubus Rare OOP CD Gothic Doom My Dying Bride Draconian US $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE For Lives I Sire Fabric POSTER FLAG Official NEW US $19.37 Buy It Now 3 days
Meisterwerk 1 [Digipak] [ECD] by My Dying Bride (CD,... US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - AN ODE TO WOE - LIVE [LTD.DIGIBOOK] (CD/DVD, 2008) *Sealed* US $12.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - LIKE GODS OF THE SUN NEW VINYL US $41.49 Buy It Now 3 days
SACRATUS-...PARADISE FOR TWO-CD-doom-death-my dying bride-saturnus-anathema US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride Turn Loose The Swans digipack CD 2003 used NM / NM Peaceville US $8.10 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River / Darke NEW CD US $16.83 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - The Light at the End of the World US $10.69 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Evinta: Deluxe CD US $58.51 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Map Of All Our Failures CD US $20.02 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Meisterwerk 1 CD US $15.46 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - TRINITY + 1 - CDVILED46 US $13.60 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - THE ANGEL AND THE DARK..CD+DVD - CDVILED260X US $19.70 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA (SPECIAL EDITION DIGIBOOK) - CDVILEF302X US $24.49 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788% COMPLETE - CDVILED74 US $13.71 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - AS THE FLOWERS WITHERS - CDVILED32 US $13.60 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS - CDVILED39 US $14.16 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - DREADFUL HOURS - CDVILED90 US $13.60 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - VOICE OF THE WRETCHED - CDVILED117 US $13.60 Buy It Now 3 days
MENTAL HOME Black Art - 1999 CD - lacrimosa my dying bride october tide therion US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE A Map Of Our Failure 2x 180gm Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $33.80 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Barghest O' Whitby 2011 Peaceville ORG RARE anathema opeth US $24.99 [0 bids]
CD: MY DYING BRIDE The Angel And The Dark River US $11.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE AS THE FLOWER WITHERS 1rst PRESS 1992 CDVILE 32 US $26.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE TURN LOOSE THE SWANS 1rst PRESS 1993 CDVILE 39 US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER 1rst PRESS 1995 CDVILE 50 US $26.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE SONGS OF DARKNESS WORDS OF LIGHT DIGI 1rst PRESS 2004 CDVILEF 110 US $32.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [Vinyl New] US $28.97 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby reviews

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
3 stars "My form is bloody and it is true, it is the night I wear around me..."

As a long time fan of this band, I was so excited, especially as a progressive rock fan, to see doom metal masters My Dying Bride release a single 27 minute piece. The band has always shown plenty of progressive elements in their music, with long instrumental sections, dramatic vocals, inventive arrangements and rich lyrics. They have constantly refined and experimented with their sombre and highly emotional music, so it's very admirable to see them push themselves with a long and challenging extended piece.

The title refers to a "barghest", a word for an English spirit that takes the form of a huge black dog, with monstrous teeth and claws. Often conjured by acts of violence and betrayal, they torment and prey on solitary travellers. Some sources place the inspiration for the descriptions in the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes book, `The Hound of the Baskervilles'. The tale takes place in Whitby, the same town as Bram Stoker's `Dracula'. All perfect settings for the grim and bleak tale that follows.

Beginning with the crack of thunderstorms and howling winds, down-tempo sludgy bass, metal guitar riffs and weeping violin create a mood full of unease and violent rage. The painfully slow riffs in the opening few minutes are completely unmelodic and vile. The music is dissonant, dirty and even slightly atonal, making it hugely oppressive. Aaron Stainthorpe's growls, in the guise of the title beast, are ferocious and predatory. When he switches to clean vocals, he has such a mournful, solemn and deeply moving quality. The majestic winding guitar lines weaving around the violin is effective, with long drawn out notes and squalling feedback heightening the tension. They drift into a quieter and more reflective middle section, before one of those classic My Dying Bride highly emotive and imperial sounding twin guitar melodies breaks through the sound of cracking thunder. Commanding drumming builds the drama swamping Aaron's seductive tones. He effectively uses both clean and maniacal shrieking vocals double-tracked in this section that is highly unnerving and tormented. The climax has a suitably dramatic and nightmarish rush of adrenaline and crushing tension. Squealing distortion, punishing kick-drums and rapid-fire riffing announce the return of the growled Beast, as the piece spirals into chaos and thrashing foul violence. The piece returns again to the rainy misery of the opening.

Aaron sounds as charismatic as ever, his growled voice still truly devilish, his clean voice full of sorrow and regret. When he takes on the inner monologue of the title beast, his growl has appropriate snarl and spitting rage. As always his lyrics are poetic with vivid detail. The band compliment him perfectly, resembling a dark well of swirling aggression and raw primal ferocity.

`Whitby' is a truly uncompromising work by the band. The production is thick, cold and harsh. Some listeners may find the piece too dense and plodding, with little in the way of memorable riffs or vocal melodies. I don't think this is due to a lack of inspiration or the well of ideas running dry, I think it's more a case of the band pushing themselves and their audience in new directions. It's bleak, hard, challenging and slow to unwind. Looking at it from the perspective of a progressive rock fan, these sort of musical statements are hugely satisfying. There are many other albums from the band that I enjoy more than this, that I return to more often, but it's still a fascinating and worthwhile piece. I wouldn't, however, recommend it to new listeners, as I think almost any of their other albums would be a more ideal introduction.

I purchased the album on vinyl LP, with the piece split over two sides. There is no obtrusive cut, as the first side ends just after the mellow section in the middle of the track briefly fades out. The front cover features a stunning painting of the title beast by Aaron, with the vinyl format especially showing off the haunting and moody artwork. The inner sleeve contains the lyrics laid out like a beautiful gothic poem.

With it's grand mix of alternating vocal styles, moving violin, metallic riffs and gothic splendor, `The Barghest O' Whitby' truly encompasses all eras of the 20 year band and reveals all kinds of new possibilities. It's a satisfying and demanding grandiose work of great depth, well worth three and a half stars.

This 27 minute piece is a dark and wicked symphonic poem carved on a slab of hard grey stone.

Send comments to Aussie-Byrd-Brother (BETA) | Report this review (#833972) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 06, 2012

Review by UMUR
3 stars "The Barghest O' Whitby" is an EP release by UK doom metal act My Dying Bride. The EP was released through Peaceville Records in November 2011. "The Barghest O' Whitby" consists of just a single 27:04 minutes long track. Itīs the first My Dying Bride release to feature new keyboard player/violinist Shaun Macgowan. The EP also sees a session performance by former My Dying Bride drummer Shaun "Winter" Taylor Steels.

Itīs not that My Dying Bride arenīt known for writing long tracks, but "The Barghest O' Whitby" is the longest track yet released by the band. Itīs an interesting track as it features almost all of the bandīs trademark elements in the same song. Über melancholic violin parts, atmospheric keyboards, crushingly heavy guitar riffing (as well as great harmony work), heavy yet rythmically intriguing drumming and of course the growling and clean vocals by lead vocalist Aaron Stainthorpe. Unfortunately itīs also a track thatīs a bit fragmented and repetitive and it doesnīt always flow as well as it could have (sometimes Iīm reminded a bit of the bandīs debut album "As the Flower Withers (1992)" in that respect). The fact that the track is divided into two parts to fit the vinyl format, isnīt exactly good for the flow of the track either. Itīs a track that wins upon repeated listens, but I think it drags a bit after the first 15:38 minutes (or on side 2 of the vinyl version). The last 11:28 minutes are definitely not as interesting as the first part of the track.

...so Iīm a bit reluctant to call "The Barghest O' Whitby" an excellent release. Itīs well played and well produced (I enjoy the rather raw quality of the sound), but the songwriting is slightly lacking. Still a 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved. I guess that says something about the generally high quality of the bandīs output. Even when they release something that isnīt up to their highest standards, itīs still a great listen.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#1011120) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 04, 2013

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "The Barghest O' Whitby"