THE BARGHEST O' WHITBY

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

My Dying Bride The Barghest O' Whitby album cover

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2011

1. The Barghest O' Whitby (37:07)

Search MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby lyrics

Search MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby tabs

Thanks to toroddfuglesteg for the addition

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby Music

Peaceville UK 2013
Dreadful HourDreadful Hour
Remastered
Peaceville UK 2007
My Dying Bride - Trinity CD 2004 doom collection Peaceville US $12.95 Buy It Now 47m 20s
My Dying Bride - Evinta 2CD 2011 digibook symphonic doom Peaceville US $13.95 Buy It Now 47m 26s
My Dying Bride - A Map of All Our Failures CD 2012 doom Peaceville US $13.95 Buy It Now 47m 32s
MY DYING BRIDE PATCH 2 US $4.86 Buy It Now 1h
My Dying Bride - 34.788% COMPLETE limited yellow vinyl LP album UNPLAYED US $32.48 Buy It Now 1h 32m
darkseed - spellcraft , type o negative moonspell tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
beseech - drama, type o negative moonspell darkseed tristania my dying bride fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
MOURNING BELOVETH-THE SULLEN SULCUS-CD-my dying bride-paradise lost-melodic-doom US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 40m
MY DYING BRIDE - LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS - NEW CD US $18.92 Buy It Now 6h 33m
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE NEW CD US $22.66 Buy It Now 7h 2m
MY DYING BRIDE - 34.788% COMPLETE - BONUS TRACK (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $16.57 Buy It Now 7h 2m
MOURNING BELOVETH-THE SULLEN SULCUS-CD-OOP-melodic-doom-anathema-my dying bride US $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 34m
HEDON CRIES - Affliction's Fiction (CD 2007) Anathema My Dying Bride Saturnus US $12.99 Buy It Now 11h 35m
MY DYING BRIDE I Am The Bloody Earth RARE 1994 OOP UK CD Single Ex/Ex Vile44TCD US $21.10 Buy It Now 12h 12m
MY DYING BRIDE Turn Loose The Swans 3 Bonus Tracks CD (New) US $17.44 Buy It Now 13h 47m
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose the Swans (CD 1993) METAL US $11.37 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Angel & the Dark River (CD 1995) METAL US $12.99 [0 bids]
DREAMBREED - SOMETIME EP CD (Cradle of filth my dying bride memebers) US $3.25 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA - CDVILEF324 US $11.60 Buy It Now 15h 48m
1.MY DYING BRIDE-A LINE OF DEATHLESS KINGS CDVILEF150X US $42.99 Buy It Now 15h 57m
AMORPHIS Tuonela TEST PRESS BLACK vinyl lp /10 my dying bride anathema NM/NM US $129.85 Buy It Now 16h 34m
SECRETS OF THE MOON Stronghold of the SWALLOW THE SUN MY DYING BRIDE DRACONIAN US $4.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - MEISTERWERK 2 [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $8.27 Buy It Now 17h 47m
KATATONIA FOR FUNERALS TO COME CD 1995 AV009 anathema my dying bride opeth US $26.99 Buy It Now 17h 55m
My Dying Bride - 34.788 Complete [CD New] US $12.23 Buy It Now 19h 18m
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire [CD New] US $14.43 Buy It Now 19h 20m
MY DYING BRIDE - The Angel And The Dark River Japan edition RARE!!! Tiamat US $30.00 Buy It Now 21h 35m
MY DYING BRIDE A LANE OF DEATHLESS KINGS SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $19.99 Buy It Now 21h 48m
MY DYING BRIDE - INTRODUCING... [MY DYING BRIDE] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $6.38 Buy It Now 22h 43m
FUNERAL Tristesse Double LP (Never Played) Thergothon My Dying Bride Unholy Von US $19.99 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Angel and the Dark River cd sealed US $21.24 Buy It Now 23h 44m
MY DYING BRIDE - FOR LIES I SIRE - NEW CD US $11.45 Buy It Now 1 day
THE ORGAN FANZINE ISSUE 148 JAN 2006 - NINA HAGEN - LIARS - MY DYING BRIDE US $14.60 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - TURN LOOSE THE SWANS (180GM) NEW VINYL US $51.89 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE MY BODY A FUNERAL WOVEN PATCH US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride: Turn Loose The Swans Special Edition 2 CD Set 2013 Digibook NEW US $15.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Woods of Ypres: ORG. Against The Seasons, KRANKENHAUS, My Dying Bride, Katatonia US $19.99 [0 bids]
Golgotha: Melancholy FIRST REPULSE, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, US $16.99 [0 bids]
~ MY DYING BRIDE - Evinta ~ MUSIC 2 CD's US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE FOR LIES I SIRE SPECIAL UKR. EDITION MOON RECORDS US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE KNELL - Harm (CD 2007) Doom Death Metal Esoteric Draconian My Dying Bride US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride : 34.788% ... Complete CD (2001) US $10.13 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE "THE ANGEL AND THE DARK RIVER" LIMITED EDITION 2 CD UNRELEASED US $40.00 [0 bids]
NEX-ZERO-CD-doom-my dying bride-anathema-watain-nominon US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - The Silent Enigma first press lp vinyl my dying bride katatonia US $59.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My dying bride - like gods of the sun LP first press VILE 65 US $125.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - an illiad of woes , first demo tape my dying bride katatonia US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MORGAIN Abandoned In The Forest... CD My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Kathatonia US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - Turn Loose the Swans US $10.47 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - A MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES - CDVILEF407 US $18.73 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans [Vinyl New] US $44.98 Buy It Now 1 day
MY DYING BRIDE - A Map of All Our Failures US $10.66 Buy It Now 1 day
Thy Withering Orchard - Soft Gow Of Perishing Cold (My Dying Bride) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Ashes You Leave - The Passage Back of Life CD 1999 SEALED My Dying Bride US $3.00 [0 bids]
Meisterwerk V.2 by My Dying Bride (Digipak, Mar-2004, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $19.99 [0 bids]
Turn Loose the Swans by My Dying Bride (CD, Aug-2003, Peaceville Records (USA)) US $7.00 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [3 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $42.21 Buy It Now 1 day
My Dying Bride The Angel and the Dark River Digipack CD 2003 Peaceville Records US $8.10 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride As The Flower Withers Slipcase CD 2001 Peaceville Records US $7.29 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Dreadful Hours Digipack CD 2001 Peaceville US $8.10 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride A Line of Deathless Kings Limited Box CD 2006 Peaceville Records US $14.60 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride 34.788% Complete Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville Records US $8.10 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride The Light At The End Of The World Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.10 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride Songs of Darkness Words of Light Digipack CD 2004 Peaceville US $8.10 [0 bids]
My Dying Bride For Lies I Sire CD 2009 Peaceville Records US $8.10 [0 bids]
The Angel and the Dark River by My Dying Bride (Cassette, Feb-1996, Fierce) US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE "Trinity" (1st press,VERY RARE!!!) Phlebotomized,Saturnus US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Onirophagus - Defiler of hope (pro cdr) MY DYING BRIDE AUTOPSY KATATONIA ASPHYX US $5.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - ODE TO WOE (W/BOOK) (+DVD) NEW CD US $22.66 Buy It Now 2 days
Ashes You Leave: Passage Back to Life, 3rd & The Mortal, My Dying Bride, US $2.99 [0 bids]
Funeral: Tristesse, RARE DOOM, My Dying Bride, Saturnus, Mourning Beloveth US $14.99 [1 bids]
PARADISE LOST: In Requiem, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Sentenced, Insomnium US $6.66 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - Trinity:T-shirt NEW - LARGE ONLY US $26.16 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA [2 DISCS] [801056832429] - NEW CD BOXSET US $21.29 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - EVINTA NEW CD US $57.32 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST PRINTED PATCH MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA KATATONIA MOONSPELL CEMETARY US $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - The Light at the end of the World - Tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers - Tape US $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE CASSETTE, Turn Loose The Swans, Futurist, Peaceville US $7.88 Buy It Now 2 days
KUOLEMANLAAKSO- Tulijoutsen cd NEW Swallow The Sun My Dying Bride Barren Earth US $5.20 [3 bids]
My Dying Bride - Evinta: Deluxe [CD New] US $45.19 Buy It Now 2 days
TIAMAT Clouds era logo patch anathema my dying bride dark tranquility dawn US $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF R1) US $16.16 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride GOD IS ALONE 7 1991 VERY RARE LISTENABLE!!!307 of 1000 US $170.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE logo LANYARD official licensed merchandise US $8.10 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE logo white/black SWEATBAND official merchandise US $8.10 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride, Deeper Down Ep Audio CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE LIKE GODS OF THE SUN + 2 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2014 US $5.49 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - MAP OF ALL OUR FAILURES NEW VINYL US $41.08 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE - ANGEL & THE DARK RIVER NEW VINYL US $41.08 Buy It Now 2 days
An Ode to Woe by My Dying Bride *New CD* US $11.40 Buy It Now 2 days
My Dying Bride - Like Gods Of The Sun [2LP] - 2013- New & Sealed US $30.40 Buy It Now 2 days
Virgin Black-Requiem-Mezzo Forte(promo cd)My Dying Bride Moonspell US $0.99 [1 bids]
My Dying Bride - An Ode To Woe [CD New] US $13.80 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Angel & The Dark River [Vinyl New] US $31.90 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - Map Of All Our Failures [Vinyl New] US $28.97 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE My Body A Funeral Mug NEW OFFICIAL US $9.73 Buy It Now 3 days
MY DYING BRIDE - Albion (20th Ann Tour) Longsleeve T-shirt - NEW - LARGE ONLY US $34.88 Buy It Now 3 days
FATUM ELISUM-HOMO NIHILIS-doom-death-silencer-paradise lost-my dying bride US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River/Live at the Dynamo '95 [Limited].. US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE The Barghest O' Whitby reviews

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
3 stars "My form is bloody and it is true, it is the night I wear around me..."

As a long time fan of this band, I was so excited, especially as a progressive rock fan, to see doom metal masters My Dying Bride release a single 27 minute piece. The band has always shown plenty of progressive elements in their music, with long instrumental sections, dramatic vocals, inventive arrangements and rich lyrics. They have constantly refined and experimented with their sombre and highly emotional music, so it's very admirable to see them push themselves with a long and challenging extended piece.

The title refers to a "barghest", a word for an English spirit that takes the form of a huge black dog, with monstrous teeth and claws. Often conjured by acts of violence and betrayal, they torment and prey on solitary travellers. Some sources place the inspiration for the descriptions in the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes book, `The Hound of the Baskervilles'. The tale takes place in Whitby, the same town as Bram Stoker's `Dracula'. All perfect settings for the grim and bleak tale that follows.

Beginning with the crack of thunderstorms and howling winds, down-tempo sludgy bass, metal guitar riffs and weeping violin create a mood full of unease and violent rage. The painfully slow riffs in the opening few minutes are completely unmelodic and vile. The music is dissonant, dirty and even slightly atonal, making it hugely oppressive. Aaron Stainthorpe's growls, in the guise of the title beast, are ferocious and predatory. When he switches to clean vocals, he has such a mournful, solemn and deeply moving quality. The majestic winding guitar lines weaving around the violin is effective, with long drawn out notes and squalling feedback heightening the tension. They drift into a quieter and more reflective middle section, before one of those classic My Dying Bride highly emotive and imperial sounding twin guitar melodies breaks through the sound of cracking thunder. Commanding drumming builds the drama swamping Aaron's seductive tones. He effectively uses both clean and maniacal shrieking vocals double-tracked in this section that is highly unnerving and tormented. The climax has a suitably dramatic and nightmarish rush of adrenaline and crushing tension. Squealing distortion, punishing kick-drums and rapid-fire riffing announce the return of the growled Beast, as the piece spirals into chaos and thrashing foul violence. The piece returns again to the rainy misery of the opening.

Aaron sounds as charismatic as ever, his growled voice still truly devilish, his clean voice full of sorrow and regret. When he takes on the inner monologue of the title beast, his growl has appropriate snarl and spitting rage. As always his lyrics are poetic with vivid detail. The band compliment him perfectly, resembling a dark well of swirling aggression and raw primal ferocity.

`Whitby' is a truly uncompromising work by the band. The production is thick, cold and harsh. Some listeners may find the piece too dense and plodding, with little in the way of memorable riffs or vocal melodies. I don't think this is due to a lack of inspiration or the well of ideas running dry, I think it's more a case of the band pushing themselves and their audience in new directions. It's bleak, hard, challenging and slow to unwind. Looking at it from the perspective of a progressive rock fan, these sort of musical statements are hugely satisfying. There are many other albums from the band that I enjoy more than this, that I return to more often, but it's still a fascinating and worthwhile piece. I wouldn't, however, recommend it to new listeners, as I think almost any of their other albums would be a more ideal introduction.

I purchased the album on vinyl LP, with the piece split over two sides. There is no obtrusive cut, as the first side ends just after the mellow section in the middle of the track briefly fades out. The front cover features a stunning painting of the title beast by Aaron, with the vinyl format especially showing off the haunting and moody artwork. The inner sleeve contains the lyrics laid out like a beautiful gothic poem.

With it's grand mix of alternating vocal styles, moving violin, metallic riffs and gothic splendor, `The Barghest O' Whitby' truly encompasses all eras of the 20 year band and reveals all kinds of new possibilities. It's a satisfying and demanding grandiose work of great depth, well worth three and a half stars.

This 27 minute piece is a dark and wicked symphonic poem carved on a slab of hard grey stone.

Send comments to Aussie-Byrd-Brother (BETA) | Report this review (#833972) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 06, 2012

Review by UMUR
3 stars "The Barghest O' Whitby" is an EP release by UK doom metal act My Dying Bride. The EP was released through Peaceville Records in November 2011. "The Barghest O' Whitby" consists of just a single 27:04 minutes long track. Itīs the first My Dying Bride release to feature new keyboard player/violinist Shaun Macgowan. The EP also sees a session performance by former My Dying Bride drummer Shaun "Winter" Taylor Steels.

Itīs not that My Dying Bride arenīt known for writing long tracks, but "The Barghest O' Whitby" is the longest track yet released by the band. Itīs an interesting track as it features almost all of the bandīs trademark elements in the same song. Über melancholic violin parts, atmospheric keyboards, crushingly heavy guitar riffing (as well as great harmony work), heavy yet rythmically intriguing drumming and of course the growling and clean vocals by lead vocalist Aaron Stainthorpe. Unfortunately itīs also a track thatīs a bit fragmented and repetitive and it doesnīt always flow as well as it could have (sometimes Iīm reminded a bit of the bandīs debut album "As the Flower Withers (1992)" in that respect). The fact that the track is divided into two parts to fit the vinyl format, isnīt exactly good for the flow of the track either. Itīs a track that wins upon repeated listens, but I think it drags a bit after the first 15:38 minutes (or on side 2 of the vinyl version). The last 11:28 minutes are definitely not as interesting as the first part of the track.

...so Iīm a bit reluctant to call "The Barghest O' Whitby" an excellent release. Itīs well played and well produced (I enjoy the rather raw quality of the sound), but the songwriting is slightly lacking. Still a 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved. I guess that says something about the generally high quality of the bandīs output. Even when they release something that isnīt up to their highest standards, itīs still a great listen.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#1011120) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 04, 2013

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "The Barghest O' Whitby"