THIRTY YEARS OF MAXIMUM R&B

7. Behind Blue Eyes
8. Won't Get Fooled Again
9. The Seeker [Edit]
10. Bony Maronie [Live]
11. Let's See Action (Nothing Is Everything)
12. Join Together

- Roger Daltry / vocals
- John Entwistle / bass, horns, vocals
- Kenney Jones / drums

4CD Polydor/MCA (1994)

Thanks to Evolver for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B Music

Live at LeedsLive at Leeds
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
FACTORY SEALED REEL to REEL~WHO'S AFRAID of VIRGINIA WOOLF~ALEX NORTH~HEAR US $29.99 Buy It Now 30m 26s
VTG 45 RPM--NORTHERN SOUL THE WONDER WHO SASSY US $6.99 [0 bids]
32m 23s
Who Made Who by AC/DC (Cassette, 1986, Atco (USA)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
32m 24s
THE WHO Who Are You/Polydor LP Import Germany US $17.36 Buy It Now 34m 33s
THE WHO Who's Next 1971 Decca DL 79182 Shrink Wrap VG+/VG+ Keith Moon US $16.00 [7 bids]
35m 59s
Various Artists We Be Who We Are CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 37m 2s
1983 Eurythmics "Who's That Girl?" 45 rpm --Vinyl Record Album in Sleeve US $2.95 [0 bids]
38m 1s
THE WHO Classic Rock LP FACE DANCES US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO Classic Rock LP THE WHO BY NUMBERS US $4.99 [0 bids]
JUDY COLLINS Stereo 8 Track WHO KNOWS WHERE THE TIME US $4.99 [0 bids]
38m 4s
Tales From THE WHO 2LP Colored Vinyl TMQ Deluxe Green Red Wm STOUT Cover tmoq US $74.99 Buy It Now 38m 30s
LPS: Al Martino:Daddy's Little Girl, Connie Francis:Who's Sorry Now,Vic Damone US $5.00 Buy It Now 38m 59s
BLUES BROTHERS: Who's Making Love/Perry Mason Theme US $1.99 [0 bids]
39m 42s
THE WHO MY GENERATION 25MM PIN BADGE ROCK US $2.43 Buy It Now 40m 53s
The Who Live at Leeds Live Recording 2001 2 disc remastered on cd deluxe edition US $17.95 Buy It Now 41m 18s
STEEL WOOL Simple Men Who Like Working With Their Hands CD NEW GARAGE ALT ROCK US $14.99 Buy It Now 41m 37s
Classical Music for People Who Hate Classical Music, New Music US $6.61 Buy It Now 42m 59s
LISTEN - ROCK - FRANK D'RONE - KEEP ME IN YOUR HEART - WHO AM I TO SAY US $9.99 [0 bids]
43m 44s
Who Needs Guitars Anyway? by Alice Deejay (CD, 2000 Republic) US $3.95 Buy It Now 44m
78 RPM RECORD/5) DORIS DAY / WHO WHO WHO US $4.99 [0 bids]
44m 15s
ARETHA FRANKLIN - WHO'S ZOOMIN' WHO? 2005 US CD * NEW * US $11.41 Buy It Now 44m 27s
The Doors/ "Wishful Sinful"/Who Scared You"/German Metronome/PC//VG+/Stereo/'69 US $14.99 Buy It Now 44m 34s
U2-Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses 4 track CDEP UK import Rolling Stones CCR US $4.00 [0 bids]
45m 25s
TINO BROWN - WHO IS TINO BROWN!! NR!! US $0.27 [0 bids]
47m
Who Is Jill Scott - Scott,Jill New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $26.47 Buy It Now 47m 13s
DOCTOR WHO[Ron Grianer]: 25th ANNIVERSARY ALBUM[CD] US $99.99 Buy It Now 47m 38s
They Who Move 12" Single Sounds Underground Profile Records 1990 #PRO-7299 US $9.99 Buy It Now 48m 39s
Meaty, Beaty, Big And Bouncy - The Who US $5.00 [0 bids]
49m 33s
Who I Am by Alan Jackson (CD, Jun-1994, Arista) US $4.00 [0 bids]
49m 57s
THE WHO GIGANTES DEL POP VOL 2 POLYDOR 23695-1981 IMPORT SPAIN EX/EX US $14.99 [0 bids]
50m 31s
PETE TOWNSHEND - (of THE WHO) 7"Single - Rough Boys/And I Moved, EX+ US $9.78 Buy It Now 50m 44s
HUMAN SWITCHBOARD-WHO'S LANDING IN MY HANGAR? FAULTY PRODUCTS COPE 1 NM/VG+ LP US $79.98 Buy It Now 50m 59s
Soul Girl Group 45: Lorie Burton on Roulette - Yeh, Yeh, Yeh & Who Are You? US $30.00 Buy It Now 51m 13s
Hear Rare Modern Soul 45: Janice Miller Isaac ~He Who Cares ~ San-Son 2465 US $25.00 Buy It Now 51m 13s
Rare Private Press Pop Rock LP : Brewster ~ Who? ~ Michael Foster US $24.99 Buy It Now 51m 13s
HEAR Rare Soul 45: Sly Johnson ~ They Who Love & Teardrops on Federal 12358 US $25.00 Buy It Now 51m 13s
IAN GILLIAN TONY IOMMI WHO CARES 2CD DEEP PURPLE BLACK SABBATH DIO GLENN HUGHES! US $5.99 [0 bids]
51m 19s
ED AMES "WHO WILL ANSWER" U.S. 7" W PICTURE SLEEVE US $25.00 Buy It Now 51m 23s
The Icicle Works(12" Vinyl)Who Do You Want For Your Love-UK-Ex/NM US $14.68 Buy It Now 52m 13s
The Preacherman(12" Vinyl)The Man Who Brainwashed Himself-Rounder-EEC-Ex/Ex US $11.41 Buy It Now 52m 17s
Down And Away-Who´s Got the Deliverance!? Digipak CD Hardcore Punk Ska Crossover US $4.99 Buy It Now 52m 51s
ROGER DALTRY of THE WHO LP - S/T on ORIGINAL TRACK LABEL - FOLD OPEN COVER US $9.00 Buy It Now 53m 23s
JOHN ENTWISTLE - THE ROCK 2005 UK CD * NEW * THE WHO US $17.95 Buy It Now 53m 55s
LOUVIN BROTHERS family who prays GOSPEL if we forget God PRAY FOR ME new tape US $3.88 [0 bids]
54m 5s
O'JAYS the ojays BACK STABBERS love train TIME TO GET DOWN who am I new CD US $7.89 [0 bids]
54m 6s
Spy Who Loved Me SEALED 70s SOUNDTRACK STICKER LP Marvi US $22.98 Buy It Now 54m 34s
SEALED - OLD BUT NEW! Say You Will by Fleetwood Mac (CD, Apr-2003) who else!!!!! US $3.00 [0 bids]
54m 39s
Heart - Who Will You Run To US $2.45 [0 bids]
54m 50s
The Sports LP Don't Throw Stones TRACKED ONCE "Who Listens To The Radio" Arista US $4.99 [0 bids]
55m 27s
Nona Hendryx(7" Vinyl P/S)Women Who Fly-BMG-112 645-UK-VG+/Ex- US $11.99 Buy It Now 56m 4s
Jellybean - Who Found Who Feat. Elisa Fiorillo US $2.45 [0 bids]
57m 22s
Gary Wright - Who I Am (CD, Cypress) VERY RARE 1988 CD! US $11.39 [0 bids]
58m 19s
THE WHO live at leeds LP VG+ DL 79175 w/10 Inserts 1970 Decca USA 1st Press US $45.00 Buy It Now 59m 3s
Jazz / Pop R&B 45 Sam Fletcher "THE SINNER" / "GUESS WHO" US $9.99 [0 bids]
59m 25s
The Guess Who - Flavours - Quad - CPL - ABD1 - 0636 US $13.99 Buy It Now 59m 29s
He Who Corrupts Phoenix Bodies '2009' 10" Vinyl Calender US $12.99 Buy It Now 59m 44s
The Who - Who's Next - LP US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
THE JACKSON 5 "I Want You Back" / "Who's Lovin' You Vinyl 45 R&B Soul Record VG+ US $3.95 [0 bids]
Planet Funk - Who Said (Stuck In The UK) - 12" 2002 - NEAR MINT US $3.25 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Korea B1A4 2nd Full Album [Who am I] 'Lonely' Vol.2 2014 Taiwan w/box CD+144-P US $34.99 [0 bids]
Who Can I Turn to, Bennett, Tony, Acceptable US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Who's On First? Abbott and Costello on Radio - Cassette US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Megadeth / Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? JAPAN TOCP-6537 #F US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
LARRY GRAHAM-"GUESS WHO (Edit)"-Warner Bros. WBS49833-PROMO Mono/Stereo NM 1981 US $3.25 Buy It Now 1h 5m
MARLENA SHAW-WHO IS THIS BITCH ANYWAY-JAPAN CD B50 US $14.50 Buy It Now 1h 5m
The Who - Official Maximum R & B Hooded Fleece Bathrobe/Dressing Gown - One Size US $48.97 Buy It Now 1h 5m
PETE TOWNSHEND(WHO)-ROUGH BOYS-ORIG.DUTCH PS 45rpm 1980 US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
2 Odds CD - Someone Who's Cool - Truth Untold from album Good Weird Feeling US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
The Who-Who's Better, Who's Best US $4.00 [0 bids]
The Who-Endless Wire with Live At Lyon Bonus DVD US $4.00 [0 bids]
The Who - 'A Quick One' UK 1966 Mono Reaction LP 593 002 Great copy! US $44.09 [7 bids]
MARY HOPKIN 45 " Knock Knock Who's There / International " APPLE Canada 1972' US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 11m
GENE PITNEY 45 THAT GIRL BELONGS TO YESTERDAY Jagger-Richards / WHO NEEDS ~VG++ US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
The Who Tommy album on vinyl US $8.99 [0 bids]
FARMER DAN THE MAN WHO DRANK THE FARM - 19 FANTASTIC SONGS -CD - FREE POST IN UK US $16.15 Buy It Now 1h 15m
SAMMY BURTON Carolina Mammy / Who's Sorry Now 78 GUARDSMAN 1355 US $21.21 Buy It Now 1h 16m
The Who - Tommy Parts 1&2 - Track 2406 007/8 UK 1972 vinyl 2x1LP US $24.48 Buy It Now 1h 17m
SLURP///STRANGE THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO SLURP AT 7-ELEVEN US $0.99 [1 bids]
Vintage Deep Purple Who Do You Think We Are 1973 WARNER BROTHERS BS 2678 Record US $9.99 [0 bids]
Rita Coolidge, Higher And Higher / Who's To Bless And Who's To Blame. US $2.99 [0 bids]
WHO-ATHENA 7" PICTURE DISC RECORD UK US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE GUESS WHO CD "GREATEST HITS" 18 CLASSIC TRACKS - AMERICAN WOMAN + MANY MORE US $1.49 [0 bids]
MAIN INGREDIENT: Everybody Plays The Fool / Who Can I Turn To 45 Soul US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles,Who's Gonna Take The Blame.T-54194.U.S Motown 45. US $8.08 Buy It Now 1h 25m
COMMUNITY RENEWAL CHORUS & ALL GOD'S CHILDREN Who Cares for the City? Gospel LP US $150.00 Buy It Now 1h 26m
The Who "Tommy" Original Soundtrack Recording 2 LP Set Polydor 1975 US $15.52 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Alex North Soundtrack LP Warner Bros Mono Og EX US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
THE WHO Greatest Hits & More SOUTH AFRICA 2010 Cat# SSTARCD7456 *35 TRAX* US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Who - Then & Now 1964-07 [CD New] US $9.11 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Slim Dusty - Man Who Steadies The Lead [CD New] US $15.14 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Who - Endless Wire [CD New] US $20.31 Buy It Now 1h 29m
JIMMY ROSELLI "WHO CAN SAY/PLANET EARTH" 1967 DJ HEAR!! US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Luke Williams: Who's Gonna Be First / Your Baby's Bag 45 - Northern Soul US $10.29 [0 bids]
Who Cares a Lot: Greatest Hits by Faith No More (CD, Dec-1998, 2 Discs, Slash... US $12.99 [0 bids]
Madonna - Who's That Girl - EXCELLENT 12" Single Vinyl Record US $8.08 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Jellybean Benitez Elisa Fiorillo 7" Who Found Who Limited Edition Picture Disc US $4.90 [0 bids]
ERASURE WHO NEEDS LOVE MIXES + PUSH ME SHOVE ME EXT MIX 12" SINGLE 1985 US $6.52 Buy It Now 1h 39m
PETE TOWNSHEND cd Scoop Atco 0 7567 90063 2 very good 25 tracks The Who rare US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
MILES KANE - DON'T FORGET WHO YOU ARE: DELUXE CD ALBUM (June 3rd) US $21.21 Buy It Now 1h 39m
House Of Pain Gold Stamp Promo - Who's The Man / Put On Your Sh!t Kickers US $3.50 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(33%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(50%)

THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B reviews

Review by fuxi
4 stars This is an extraordinary box set which introduces the listener to ALMOST all the best music the Who recorded between 1964 and 1994. When it came out I bought it immediately and I still remember how thrilled I was. As a long-time Who fan I found it incredibly exciting to have so many superb tracks in a single compilation, interspersed with bits of dialogue from Pete Townshend and wonderful snippets of 'Goon style comedy' from Keith Moon. Since the music is spread out over four CDs, the set contains much, much more than the usual hits and commercial highlights. The Who are also well represented at their most delicate and eccentric. For these reasons the set would make a near-ideal introduction to the newcomer. The voluminous photo book is attractive as well.

A look at the extensive track list will show you that all the band's classic singles are here, from "I Can't Explain" and "My Generation" to "Happy Jack" and "Pictures of Lily". The studio albums are well represented, too - particularly THE WHO SELL OUT, LIVE AT LEEDS, WHO'S NEXT, THE WHO BY NUMBERS and WHO ARE YOU, where the selection could hardly be bettered. WHO'S NEXT, the band's greatest album, is included almost in its entirety. For once, the sublime original version of "Pure and Easy" appears right between "Bargain" and "The Song is Over" - exactly where it should be. (I personally would have preferred to see the studio version of "My Wife" included, rather than a 1976 live performance, but I guess you can't have everything...) To their everlasting credit, the compilers also took the trouble to include a fair number of obscure but fascinating tracks such as "Disguises", "Girls' Eyes", "Jaguar", "Melancholia" and "Dogs", most of which had never before been released. ("Dogs" quickly developed into one of my all-time Who favourites!)

Any gripes with this set, then? Well sure, I've got plenty!!!

1. Among the early tracks, why has the crisp studio version of "Substitute" been replaced with the LIVE AT LEEDS version (as on some earlier compilations)? This seems anachronistic and plain wrong.

2. "A Quick One, While He's Away", as represented here, is a patch-up of the original studio version and (during the finale) the live version from the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus. (Thus allowing the compilers to state, rather misleadingly, on the back of the box, that their version is 'previously unreleased'.) I'll gladly admit the Who's Rock and Roll Circus performance was one of their greatest triumphs, but this kind of approach neither does justice to the studio version, nor to the live version.

3. I can't help thinking QUADROPHENIA (a clear favourite with many proggers) has been shabbily dealt with. Why are only four tracks represented here? Why is there no trace of "The Punk and the Godfather", "I've Had Enough" or "I'm One" when the compilers DID find space for less exciting tracks from an earlier project, such as "Join Together" and "Relay", and (even more disappointingly) for those turgid 1980s live versions of "Twist and Shout" and "I'm a Man"? And, most of all: why include a terribly pedestrian 1979 run-through of "The Real Me" featuring Kenney Jones, when the original studio recording (with Keith Moon) is one of the band's most explosive performances?

4. Finally, as a secret admirer of the 1982 IT'S HARD, I can't help wondering why the only track that always gets chosen from that album is the soporific "Eminence Front". I much prefer the sprightly "Athena" and the dramatic closing number "Cry If You Want".

In spite of my complaints, I feel this set provides a splendid overview of the best part of the Who's career, so if you can find it at a reasonable price, you should have no qualms about purchasing it.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#746313) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012

Post a review of THE WHO "Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B"