THIRTY YEARS OF MAXIMUM R&B

7. Behind Blue Eyes
8. Won't Get Fooled Again
9. The Seeker [Edit]
10. Bony Maronie [Live]
11. Let's See Action (Nothing Is Everything)
12. Join Together

- Roger Daltry / vocals
- John Entwistle / bass, horns, vocals
- Kenney Jones / drums

4CD Polydor/MCA (1994)

Thanks to Evolver for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
QuadropheniaQuadrophenia
Deluxe Edition
Geffen Records 2011
THE GUESS WHO flavours US LP + INNER RCA VICTOR Dynaflex STEREO CPL1-0636 US $5.85 Buy It Now 32m 4s
AC/DC "Who Made Who" Albert Productions Australian Pressing US $7.00 [0 bids]
34m 33s
DR ALBAN - Look who's talking (1 CD) [Dr Records] US $6.96 Buy It Now 36m 9s
Keith Green - FOR HIM WHO HAS EARS TO HEAR - 1977 Casse US $9.45 Buy It Now 37m 1s
JUDY COLLINS - BOTH SIDES NOW - WHO KNOWS WHERE THE TIME GOES - 7" 45 RPM VINYL US $4.99 [0 bids]
37m 16s
JOHNNIE TAYLOR - WHO'S MAKING LOVE - I'M TRYING- STAX 7" 45 RPM VINYL US $4.99 [0 bids]
38m 42s
KIERAN HALPIN The man who lives in bottles LP FOLK **SIGNED** US $14.57 Buy It Now 42m 44s
Who Do You Think You Are [Maxi Single] by Saint Etienne (CD, Jun-1993, Warner Br US $5.00 Buy It Now 45m 18s
45 ED AMES - WHO WILL ANSWER B/W MY LOVE IS GONE FROM ME PICTURE SLEEVE P/S US $1.48 Buy It Now 45m 35s
KAOS Word Life - Who India House 12" Vinyl MINT SEALED US $3.98 Buy It Now 46m 17s
MIXMASTER presents MARC VANE feat BEAR WHO - Boom Boom Room - 12" US $15.87 Buy It Now 46m 25s
RIVA featuring DANNII MINOGUE 'who do you love now?' cd single US $8.97 Buy It Now 51m 37s
Luther Kent ~45~ Who Dat At The Mardi Gras ~ new MINT US $24.95 Buy It Now 51m 55s
MEGADETH Peace Sells But Who's Buying LIMITED 180G Vinyl LP NEW US $24.24 Buy It Now 53m 35s
The WHO ?- The Best Of The Who/supr/diff cover CZECHOSLOVAKIA US $13.00 [0 bids]
54m 7s
PEARL JAM [ WHO YOU ARE ] ORG CASSETTE THAI EDITION STILL SEALED US $64.99 Buy It Now 54m 51s
JIMMY DURANTE IM THE GUY WHO FOUND THE LOST CHORD MGM 118 US $4.04 Buy It Now 57m 58s
TOM JONES - 45 RPM - I(who have nothing / Stop Breaking My Heart - US $1.00 [0 bids]
59m 45s
MIXMASTER presents MARC VANE feat BEAR WHO - Boom Boom Room - 12" US $15.55 Buy It Now 59m 54s
Guess Who's Back? [PA] by 50 Cent (CD, Oct-2002, Full Clip Records) US $4.50 [0 bids]
1h
MILLS BROTHERS I WANT YOU TO WANT ME & WHO'LL BE THE NEXT ONE DECCA 24749 US $4.04 Buy It Now 1h 3m
RAY NOBLE & ORCH I WONDER WHO'S KISSING HER NOW & APRIL SHOWERS COLUMBIA 37544 US $4.04 Buy It Now 1h 3m
CD ALBUM - Faith No More - Who Cares a Lot (Greatest Hits, 1998) US $1.60 [0 bids]
8-Track Tape Lot of 10 Rock & Roll Who Boston Bowie ELO Aerosmith Kansas Tested US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
THE WHO FACE DANCING LP 812 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
PETE TOWNSHEND Empty Glass 1980 vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION THE WHO US $12.14 Buy It Now 1h 31m
AUSTIN POWERS THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME Cd US $13.09 Buy It Now 1h 32m
AC/DC POSTER "WHO MADE WHO" LICENSED "BRAND NEW" ANGUS YOUNG US $10.46 Buy It Now 1h 35m
CONNIE FRANCIS- Gold Disc&songsheet- WHO'S SORRY NOW US $137.80 Buy It Now 1h 35m
The Guess Who Flavours RCA Records Vinyl WTCC SPRINGFIELD, MA US $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 37m
THE WHO " WHO'S NEXT " CASSETTE US $0.81 [0 bids]
For Those Who Are About to Die We Salute You, Colosseum, Very Good Original reco US $31.01 Buy It Now 1h 41m
RITA MARLEY ~ Who Feels It Knows It ~ VINYL LP US $25.92 Buy It Now 1h 42m
CYNDI LAUPER - Who Let In The Rain - (3Trk CD) US $0.16 [1 bids]
THE WHO - WHOS NEXT - CD- MOD /SCOOTERS / PETE TOWNSEND / THE JAM US $3.23 [0 bids]
Emile Ford - I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now 1962 7" Piccadilly7N 35033 US $5.67 Buy It Now 2h
Kelly Price, This Is Who I Am Audio CD US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h
GOSPEL CHARLES MCLEAN - GOD HELPS THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES US $40.53 Buy It Now 2h 2m
THE WHO-QUADROPHENIA-JAPAN MINI LP 2 PLATINUM SHM-CD Ltd/Ed L00 zd US $49.99 Buy It Now 2h 3m
MILES KANE Don't Forget Who You Are SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER 002 US $5.66 Buy It Now 2h 7m
MILES KANE Don't Forget Who You Are SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER 002 US $8.09 Buy It Now 2h 7m
MILES KANE Don't Forget Who You Are SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER 002 US $24.30 Buy It Now 2h 7m
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO ON RADIO OOP LP NM COVER/VG+ VINYL IN SHRINK WHO'S ON FIRST? US $9.59 Buy It Now 2h 8m
THE BEAUTIFUL MISTAKE "THIS IS WHO YOU ARE" OOP NEW CD! MILITIA GROUP EMO PUNK! US $2.39 Buy It Now 2h 12m
WHO summertime blues RARE PS FRENCH POLYDOR LIVE AT LEEDS US $10.00 [0 bids]
THE WHO "PINBALL WIZARD" + "DOGS PART TWO" 1ST DECCA RARE 7" SINGLE VG VINYL 45 US $4.79 Buy It Now 2h 15m
THE WHO TOMMY OST SOUNDTRACK w/ERIC CLAPTON RARE OOP HTF 8 TRACK CASSETTE TAPE! US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
ERASURE "WHO NEEDS LOVE LIKE THAT" RARE OOP 12" U.S. SINGLE LP VG COVER/VG VINYL US $4.79 Buy It Now 2h 16m
THE WHO "THE BEST FROM TOMMY" RARE OOP HOLLAND 1982 PRESS LP NM VINYL! SHRINK ON US $10.39 Buy It Now 2h 16m
CHARLATANS - WHO WE TOUCH NEW SEALED 180 GRAM AUDIOPHILE 2-LP US $49.99 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Keith Manifold - Who's Gonna Bring Me Laughter? 1976 7" DJM DJS 637 US $5.67 Buy It Now 2h 21m
The WHO Best Of Who 1 & 2 FRENCH 1970's LP's Townshend Daltrey Entwhistle Moon US $100.00 Buy It Now 2h 21m
TONY ORLANDO "WHO'S IN THE STRAWBERRY PATCH" AUSSIE 7in US $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 22m
POP ART INTEREST/ PETER BLAKE INSPIRED COVER/ THE WHO WHO'S MISSING US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
FUNGUS - Who cares ? - Japan CD - NEW J-POP US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Naoyuki Fujii - Who am I ? - Japan CD - NEW J-POP FUJI US $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
RARE * THE WHO * ROCK N ROLL POP ROCK MUSIC TAROT CARD * MINT US $4.86 [0 bids]
UNPLAYED VINYL - Suffolk melodeon & folk song LP - 'Who Own the Game?' US $8.11 Buy It Now 2h 31m
CAROLE KING "SOMEONE WHO BELIEVES IN YOU" 7in 45 RECORD US $7.88 Buy It Now 2h 33m
CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL 'Who'll Stop The Rain' 7" / USA US $9.55 Buy It Now 2h 41m
MICHAEL MORALES "WHO DO YOU GIVE YOUR LOVE TO" 7" 45 US $6.13 Buy It Now 2h 49m
BOYS DON'T CRY "WHO THE AM DAM DO YOU THINK YOU AM" 7" 45 RECORD US $8.75 Buy It Now 2h 49m
INGA RUMPF "I KNOW WHO I AM" 33rpm UK PRESSING US $12.25 Buy It Now 2h 51m
The Stranglers - Who Wants The World 1980 7" United Artists BPX 355 PS US $5.67 Buy It Now 2h 53m
12" 45 Ure, Midge "If I Was" "Piano" "Man Who Sold The World" CHRYSALIS UREX 1 US $9.71 Buy It Now 2h 54m
The Who: Who are You MCA - 3050 US $8.62 Buy It Now 2h 55m
The Who - Join Together 1972 7" Track 2094-102 US $5.67 Buy It Now 2h 55m
The Who - Let's See Action 1971 7" Track 2094-012 US $5.67 Buy It Now 2h 55m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - WHO'S THAT GIRL? - EURYTHMICS - DA3 US $11.33 Buy It Now 2h 55m
I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT - Film Sheet Music - Nob Hill - George Raft US $22.70 Buy It Now 2h 56m
John Simone - Who Do You Love - TNT DEMO US $486.35 Buy It Now 2h 57m
THE WHO Face Dances USA 1981 vinyl LP w/ foldout poster in shrink US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Quadrophenia / [2 CD Deluxe Director's Cut] - Who US $23.58 Buy It Now 3h
???The Who - Who's Next Very Early UK Rare Corrected US CODE on UK JACKET??? US $74.38 Buy It Now 3h
Genies - Who's That Knocking MINT! 1958 PINK LABEL!!!! US $25.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
??? andy lau/orig hong kong pressed 1990 cantonese vinyl LP/who US $49.00 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Lauper, Cyndi, Who Let in the Rain / Cold Audio CD US $5.51 Buy It Now 3h 3m
TRAVIS/ THE MAN WHO US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
JOURNEY - WHO'S CRYING NOW HOLLAND 7" SINGLE (A-1467) US $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 7m
JOURNEY - WHO'S CRYING NOW JAPAN 7" SINGLE (07SP 548) US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 7m
1982 - THE WHO - Its Hard - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.57 Buy It Now 3h 10m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - KNOCK KNOCK WHO'S THERE - MARY HOPKIN - APPLE26 US $11.33 Buy It Now 3h 14m
rod mckuen , soldiers who want to be heroes. 1970 7". warner bros , wb 8013 US $1.60 [0 bids]
gary clail , who pays the piper . 1992 7" p/s. perfecto records , 11701-7 US $1.62 [0 bids]
REM - Who Gone Get Control? 2002 FRISCO CALI G-Funk OG RARE CD US $149.00 [0 bids]
LP Lynn, Vera "Hits Of The Blitz" EMI HMV CSD 1457 Who's Taking You Home Tonight US $11.33 Buy It Now 3h 25m
BLACK HAWK INN ORCHESTRA "Who'll Be The Next One" COLISEUM 1447 [78] US $12.89 Buy It Now 3h 26m
THE WHO: THE BEST OF THE WHO - NEAR MINT CONDITION AUSTRALIAN MONO RECORDING US $43.75 [0 bids]
LP Nero, Peter "Plays Born Free" RCA CAMDEN CDS 1063 Who's Afraid Virginia Woolf US $9.71 Buy It Now 3h 28m
B. B. KING Guess Who JAPAN LP IPP-80658 US $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 33m
THE WHO JAPAN 7INCH EP PS 5TRACKS 33RPM US $499.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
LP Various "30 Years Popmusic 1966" S*R INTERNATIONAL 46 216 8 The Kinks Who etc US $19.44 Buy It Now 3h 36m
BBC Radiophonic Workshop - Doctor Who Theme 50th Anniversary 7" Vinyl 45 - New US $32.41 Buy It Now 3h 39m
THE WHO ,YOU BETTER YOU BET, Rare Hungarian different cover single 7'' NM/NM! US $29.50 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Who Sings My Generation - Who New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $13.21 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Erasure Who needs love like that MUTE 12MUTE40 1985 US $34.99 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Mount Shasta - Who's The Hottie? [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 3h 44m
MECHANICAL POET Who Did It To Michelle Waters? (CD) Progressive metal US $10.90 Buy It Now 3h 49m
The Who - It's Hard (Re-mastered) (NEW CD) US $10.93 Buy It Now 3h 49m
HENRY KAISER/FRED FR - WITH ENEMIES LIKE THESE, WHO NEEDS FRIENDS? - NEW CD US $14.43 Buy It Now 3h 52m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(33%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(50%)

THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B reviews

Review by fuxi
4 stars This is an extraordinary box set which introduces the listener to ALMOST all the best music the Who recorded between 1964 and 1994. When it came out I bought it immediately and I still remember how thrilled I was. As a long-time Who fan I found it incredibly exciting to have so many superb tracks in a single compilation, interspersed with bits of dialogue from Pete Townshend and wonderful snippets of 'Goon style comedy' from Keith Moon. Since the music is spread out over four CDs, the set contains much, much more than the usual hits and commercial highlights. The Who are also well represented at their most delicate and eccentric. For these reasons the set would make a near-ideal introduction to the newcomer. The voluminous photo book is attractive as well.

A look at the extensive track list will show you that all the band's classic singles are here, from "I Can't Explain" and "My Generation" to "Happy Jack" and "Pictures of Lily". The studio albums are well represented, too - particularly THE WHO SELL OUT, LIVE AT LEEDS, WHO'S NEXT, THE WHO BY NUMBERS and WHO ARE YOU, where the selection could hardly be bettered. WHO'S NEXT, the band's greatest album, is included almost in its entirety. For once, the sublime original version of "Pure and Easy" appears right between "Bargain" and "The Song is Over" - exactly where it should be. (I personally would have preferred to see the studio version of "My Wife" included, rather than a 1976 live performance, but I guess you can't have everything...) To their everlasting credit, the compilers also took the trouble to include a fair number of obscure but fascinating tracks such as "Disguises", "Girls' Eyes", "Jaguar", "Melancholia" and "Dogs", most of which had never before been released. ("Dogs" quickly developed into one of my all-time Who favourites!)

Any gripes with this set, then? Well sure, I've got plenty!!!

1. Among the early tracks, why has the crisp studio version of "Substitute" been replaced with the LIVE AT LEEDS version (as on some earlier compilations)? This seems anachronistic and plain wrong.

2. "A Quick One, While He's Away", as represented here, is a patch-up of the original studio version and (during the finale) the live version from the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus. (Thus allowing the compilers to state, rather misleadingly, on the back of the box, that their version is 'previously unreleased'.) I'll gladly admit the Who's Rock and Roll Circus performance was one of their greatest triumphs, but this kind of approach neither does justice to the studio version, nor to the live version.

3. I can't help thinking QUADROPHENIA (a clear favourite with many proggers) has been shabbily dealt with. Why are only four tracks represented here? Why is there no trace of "The Punk and the Godfather", "I've Had Enough" or "I'm One" when the compilers DID find space for less exciting tracks from an earlier project, such as "Join Together" and "Relay", and (even more disappointingly) for those turgid 1980s live versions of "Twist and Shout" and "I'm a Man"? And, most of all: why include a terribly pedestrian 1979 run-through of "The Real Me" featuring Kenney Jones, when the original studio recording (with Keith Moon) is one of the band's most explosive performances?

4. Finally, as a secret admirer of the 1982 IT'S HARD, I can't help wondering why the only track that always gets chosen from that album is the soporific "Eminence Front". I much prefer the sprightly "Athena" and the dramatic closing number "Cry If You Want".

In spite of my complaints, I feel this set provides a splendid overview of the best part of the Who's career, so if you can find it at a reasonable price, you should have no qualms about purchasing it.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#746313) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012

Post a review of THE WHO "Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B"