THIRTY YEARS OF MAXIMUM R&B

7. Behind Blue Eyes
8. Won't Get Fooled Again
9. The Seeker [Edit]
10. Bony Maronie [Live]
11. Let's See Action (Nothing Is Everything)
12. Join Together

- Roger Daltry / vocals
- John Entwistle / bass, horns, vocals
- Kenney Jones / drums

4CD Polydor/MCA (1994)

Thanks to Evolver for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B Music

Mca 1995
Who Sell OutWho Sell Out
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
JESSE BELVIN RCA VICTOR RE 7" FUNNY / GUESS WHO VG++/EX US $3.75 Buy It Now 32m 57s
PEARL JAM WHO ARE YOU 2 TRACK DIGIPAK CD - EXCELLENT US $6.54 Buy It Now 34m
LOOSE CANNONS THE CLICK WHO THE F#CK IS THAT? US $9.99 Buy It Now 41m 5s
Colin Stetson Those Who Didn't Run 12 Inch Vinyl US $19.98 Buy It Now 43m 30s
Conny Plank Who's That Man: Tribute To Conny Plank Vinyl LP US $24.49 Buy It Now 43m 34s
Blue House Band Who's In The House CD US $13.20 Buy It Now 43m 41s
Plan B / Who Needs Actions Vinyl LP US $22.98 Buy It Now 44m 3s
DEEP PURPLE~WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE LP 1973, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Ozzy US $4.99 [0 bids]
45m 1s
"Paul Collins Who, Dear? 7 Inch Vinyl" US $4.98 Buy It Now 45m 16s
7" single collection x3; NORMIE ROWE who have nothing/I just don't vg+ US $27.09 Buy It Now 46m 34s
Faith No More Signed Who Cares Greatest Hits 2 Cd Set Limited Edition Jim Martin US $124.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
PIANO SONG BOOKS AND SHEET MUSIC-POP,WEDDING,HOLIDAY++MORE-PREOWNED-SOLD AS IS!! US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Doctor Who - Season 1 & 2 (DVD) US $124.72 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Who The Story Of The Who - Matte Sleeve UK 2-LP vinyl record (Double Album) US $39.59 Buy It Now 1h 9m
The Ones Who Wait Denison Witmer Vinyl LP US $20.31 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Connie Francis - Who's Sorry Now - (Cd Music) US $3.74 Buy It Now 1h 13m
PETE TOWNSHEND - WHO "Rough boys" rare 7" ORIGINAL ITALY MINT US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Do You Know Who's Looking For You ? Atomic Rooster 7" vinyl single record UK US $21.77 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Who Needs Who - Dark Dark Dark (2012, CD New) US $8.73 Buy It Now 1h 16m
PROMO WHITE LABEL JAPAN OBI CLASH WHO PAUL WINGS QUEEN US $149.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
MEN AT WORK - WHO CAN IT BE NOW? PROMO WHITE LABEL CBS '81 US $21.48 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Bacharach,Burt - Anyone Who Had A Heart-Art Of The Songwriter 2013 [CD New] US $36.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Who Summer of '74 + Ticket & Review tour programme UK TOUR PROGRAMME US $215.91 Buy It Now 1h 21m
HAZELL DEAN - Who's Leaving Who - 1988 UK 7" single US $10.07 Buy It Now 1h 22m
HAZELL DEAN - Who's Leaving Who - 1988 UK 7" single US $10.07 Buy It Now 1h 25m
The Who Original Soundtrack Tommy JAPAN 2 SHM CD MINI LP SET NEW US $65.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
HAZELL DEAN - Who's Leaving Who - 1988 UK 7" single US $10.07 Buy It Now 1h 27m
One Hit Wonder - Who The Hell Is One Hit Wonder (1998) - Used - Compact Dis US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 37m
MAD MIKEY D - WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? 12" RARE UNKNOWN ELECTRO OLD SCHOOL RAP US $19.99 [1 bids]
THE WHO 8 TRACK TAPE Odds & Sods TESTED nw pad & splice ~ Long Live Rock US $10.49 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Jewel - Who Will Save Your Soul (1996) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 38m
MORCHEEBA Who Can You Trust 12tk cd MINT US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
THE ROLLING STONES WHO'S STANDING IN THE SHADOW? / WITH OBI US $149.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Incognito - Who Needs Love - Japan CD - NEW - 13Tracks US $16.14 Buy It Now 2h
Colony - Who I Wanted To Be - Japan CD - NEW US $14.24 Buy It Now 2h
MALCOM McCALLUM, WHO IS YOUR LOVE FOR / HEART OF STEEL 7"x45rpm1978 OZ SAMPLE US $4.20 Buy It Now 2h
BLACK CROWES-Who Killed That Bird DVD-R1-Brand New-Still sealed US $12.10 Buy It Now 2h
THE WHO WHO'S NEXT 1st ISRAELI ORIG LP LITRATONE ROCK VINYL US $17.00 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Ana Bettz - Who Is It Tonight? 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 2h 6m
ahmad! - Who Can? 12" US $12.61 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Lot 4 COLLECTIBLE Vintage Rock Albums BOB DYLAN, THE WHO & THE ROLLING STONES US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Who - Face Dances [Remastered] (CD 1998) US $8.32 Buy It Now 2h 19m
CONNIE FRANCIS - WHO'S SORRY NOW: HITS COLLECTION NEW CD US $13.15 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Kubelik - Janacek: The Diary of One Who Disappeared - DG Stereo LP 2543 820 - NM US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO Magic Bus/ Someone's Coming ORIGINAL USA 45~VG++ to NM- ~w/orig sleeve US $8.98 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Who Is Mike Jones? [Vinyl], Jones, Mike, New US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
THE WHO * FACE DANCES * MEGA RARE 1981 CASSETTE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION US $16.39 Buy It Now 2h 28m
GUESS WHO Share The Land 1970 RCA STEREO LP NM --No Cut!!! US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
WAMPAS - NEVER TRUST A GUY WHO AFTER HAVING NEW CD US $30.40 Buy It Now 2h 29m
WHO Kids Are Alright CD NEW US $7.98 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Reacharound cd Who's Tommy Cooper US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 36m
The Housemartins The People Who Grinned Music Cassette GO Label US $6.03 Buy It Now 2h 36m
THE WHO HAPPY JACK (UK 45 rpm record IN ORIGINAL SLEEVE) US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Who We Are by Lifehouse US $11.69 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Who I Am [+ Bonus Tracks] (CD 2002) US $5.87 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Roger Daltrey The Who Personalised Birthday Card D9 US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Quadrophenia The Who Personalised Birthday Card Q3 US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h 45m
The Who Personalised Birthday / Greetings / Get Well Card W27 US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Who's Better, Who's Best by Who (The) (CD, Nov-1988, MCA (USA)) US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
BURT BACHARACH - ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART-ART OF THE SONGWRITER (IMPORT) NEW CD US $43.02 Buy It Now 2h 49m
WHO - WHO'S NEXT (180GM) NEW VINYL US $52.15 Buy It Now 2h 49m
The WEBB BROTHERS - Who Put The Roo In The Stew - RARE US $13.08 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Madison Avenue - Who The Hell Are You 4 Track CD Single US $5.56 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Marie Osmond 45 Who's Sorry Now / This I Promise You US $3.50 [0 bids]
Betchadupa - Who's Coming Through The Window 5 Track EP CD Single US $7.43 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Transister - Look Who's Perfect Now 4 Track CD Single US $9.29 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Pete Townshend Deep End Live Japan mini-lp CD The Who US $17.49 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Aretha Franklin - Who's Zoomin' Who? LP US $11.35 Buy It Now 3h
KAREN DALTON-IT'S SO HARD TO TELL WHO'S GOING TO LOVE YOU-JAPAN MINI LP CD G35 US $33.50 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Raining Pleasure ?- Who's Gonna Tell Juliet? CD GREEK PRESSING 2007 US $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
HEYWOODS,The Fool's Way of Lovin'/Who Do You Think You Are Vinyl 7" Record US $4.50 [0 bids]
PEARL JAM WHO YOU ARE CD SINGLE DIGIPACK WITH HABIT UK US $8.40 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Quick One-For Collectors Only - Who (2012, CD New) US $48.30 Buy It Now 3h 17m
ARETHA FRANKLIN who's zoomin who LP 9 track with inner (207202) german arista 19 US $10.09 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Natalie Cole - Ask A Woman Who Knows (2002) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 3h 22m
DAVE GOULDER man who put the engine in the chip shop LP 13 track (fe065) uk fell US $15.43 Buy It Now 3h 23m
DAVID RUFFIN who i am LP 9 track in textured sleeve matrix a1/b1 (stml12012) uk US $26.00 Buy It Now 3h 23m
THE WHO - THEN AND NOW - CD - NEW - US $15.93 Buy It Now 3h 24m
The Who Jaguar Anyone? double LP live 1979 21 tracks US $17.95 [0 bids]
DIONNE WARWICK-ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART-JAPAN MINI LP CD F25 US $28.99 Buy It Now 3h 26m
INGA RUMPF 'I KNOW WHO I AM' UK LP US $22.68 Buy It Now 3h 28m
TONY BENNETT LP WHO CAN I TURN TO COLUMBIA 9085 STEREO US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 31m
ROY BAILEY AND LEON ROSSELSON if i knew who the enemy was LP 10 track (cf284) uk US $15.62 Buy It Now 3h 33m
THE WHO, double CD mp3 format, 18 albums US $27.99 [0 bids]
WHO backtrack 9 who sell out LP 12 track tape residue on spine (2407009) uk trac US $26.02 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Various Artists Inc The Who Etc Rock Legends 28 Track Vinyl LP Dbl US $16.79 Buy It Now 3h 36m
DOCTOR WHO PEST CONTROL PART ONE(BBC)DAVID TENNANT,The Sunday Telegraph NewsPap US $3.34 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Dstar / DJ Who & Neoverse - Stingray 12" US $13.87 Buy It Now 3h 40m
MAINSTAY - Become Who You Are - Christian Music CCM - Pop Rock CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Baha Men - Who Let The Dogs Out (2000) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Baha Men - Who Let Dogs Out (2002) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Tom Jones, I Who Have Nothing , Decca, SKL 5072, Vinyl, LP, Stereo 12" US $8.39 Buy It Now 3h 49m
THE WHO-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $5.03 Buy It Now 3h 50m
DEEP PURPLE-WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE!-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD Ltd/Ed F45 US $29.50 Buy It Now 3h 50m
THE WHO-QUADROPHENIA-JAPAN 2 SHM-CD F00 US $27.99 Buy It Now 3h 50m
GUESS WHO-LIVE AT THE PARAMOUNT American Woman JAPAN 7"33EP w/OBI SRA-104 US $45.00 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Various Artists - Doctor Who (The 50th Anniversary Collection/Original... US $26.14 Buy It Now 4h 2m
DJ Who / Whoda Whodia - The Rhythm/ Who Da' Funk?! 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 4h 6m
THE WHO FRIDGE MAGNET US $3.78 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Who's Da Don by Corleone Cassette (Brand New, Factory Sealed) Detroit Indie Rap US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 9m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(33%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(50%)

THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B reviews

Review by fuxi
4 stars This is an extraordinary box set which introduces the listener to ALMOST all the best music the Who recorded between 1964 and 1994. When it came out I bought it immediately and I still remember how thrilled I was. As a long-time Who fan I found it incredibly exciting to have so many superb tracks in a single compilation, interspersed with bits of dialogue from Pete Townshend and wonderful snippets of 'Goon style comedy' from Keith Moon. Since the music is spread out over four CDs, the set contains much, much more than the usual hits and commercial highlights. The Who are also well represented at their most delicate and eccentric. For these reasons the set would make a near-ideal introduction to the newcomer. The voluminous photo book is attractive as well.

A look at the extensive track list will show you that all the band's classic singles are here, from "I Can't Explain" and "My Generation" to "Happy Jack" and "Pictures of Lily". The studio albums are well represented, too - particularly THE WHO SELL OUT, LIVE AT LEEDS, WHO'S NEXT, THE WHO BY NUMBERS and WHO ARE YOU, where the selection could hardly be bettered. WHO'S NEXT, the band's greatest album, is included almost in its entirety. For once, the sublime original version of "Pure and Easy" appears right between "Bargain" and "The Song is Over" - exactly where it should be. (I personally would have preferred to see the studio version of "My Wife" included, rather than a 1976 live performance, but I guess you can't have everything...) To their everlasting credit, the compilers also took the trouble to include a fair number of obscure but fascinating tracks such as "Disguises", "Girls' Eyes", "Jaguar", "Melancholia" and "Dogs", most of which had never before been released. ("Dogs" quickly developed into one of my all-time Who favourites!)

Any gripes with this set, then? Well sure, I've got plenty!!!

1. Among the early tracks, why has the crisp studio version of "Substitute" been replaced with the LIVE AT LEEDS version (as on some earlier compilations)? This seems anachronistic and plain wrong.

2. "A Quick One, While He's Away", as represented here, is a patch-up of the original studio version and (during the finale) the live version from the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus. (Thus allowing the compilers to state, rather misleadingly, on the back of the box, that their version is 'previously unreleased'.) I'll gladly admit the Who's Rock and Roll Circus performance was one of their greatest triumphs, but this kind of approach neither does justice to the studio version, nor to the live version.

3. I can't help thinking QUADROPHENIA (a clear favourite with many proggers) has been shabbily dealt with. Why are only four tracks represented here? Why is there no trace of "The Punk and the Godfather", "I've Had Enough" or "I'm One" when the compilers DID find space for less exciting tracks from an earlier project, such as "Join Together" and "Relay", and (even more disappointingly) for those turgid 1980s live versions of "Twist and Shout" and "I'm a Man"? And, most of all: why include a terribly pedestrian 1979 run-through of "The Real Me" featuring Kenney Jones, when the original studio recording (with Keith Moon) is one of the band's most explosive performances?

4. Finally, as a secret admirer of the 1982 IT'S HARD, I can't help wondering why the only track that always gets chosen from that album is the soporific "Eminence Front". I much prefer the sprightly "Athena" and the dramatic closing number "Cry If You Want".

In spite of my complaints, I feel this set provides a splendid overview of the best part of the Who's career, so if you can find it at a reasonable price, you should have no qualms about purchasing it.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#746313) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012

Post a review of THE WHO "Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B"