THIRTY YEARS OF MAXIMUM R&B

7. Behind Blue Eyes
8. Won't Get Fooled Again
9. The Seeker [Edit]
10. Bony Maronie [Live]
11. Let's See Action (Nothing Is Everything)
12. Join Together

- Roger Daltry / vocals
- John Entwistle / bass, horns, vocals
- Kenney Jones / drums

4CD Polydor/MCA (1994)

Thanks to Evolver for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B Music

Who's Better Who's BestWho's Better Who's Best
Mca 1993
THE WHO - Who's Better, Who's Best - 1988 - CD - MCAD-8031 - UPC 0 76732-8031-2 US $5.99 [0 bids]
30m 22s
KAREN WYMAN: To Give/Who Am I vocalist vinyl US $10.00 Buy It Now 31m 40s
10 Great Songs Who Let the Dogs Out by Baha Men (CD 2010) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEAL US $8.99 Buy It Now 32m 15s
THE GUESS WHO THE GREATEST OF THE GUESS WHO (GREATEST HITS) LP AYL1-3746 US $3.99 Buy It Now 33m 6s
WHO BBC Sessions JAPAN 2 SHM MINI LP CD BONUS TRACKS OOP NEW UICY94788-89 US $49.99 Buy It Now 33m 30s
DANA: Who Put The Lights Out/The Far Away Place (vocalist vinyl 45) US $3.00 Buy It Now 33m 44s
EDDIE FLOYD - Guess Who (Promo) US $7.00 Buy It Now 35m 3s
Who Are You [Bonus Tracks] [Remaster] by The Who (CD, Nov-1996, MCA (USA)) US $3.00 [1 bids]
35m 19s
THE WHO CASSETTE - IT'S HARD US $1.99 Buy It Now 37m 54s
THE WHO - The Ultimate Collection - 2005 - 2 CD Set - 088 112 877-2 - 35 Tracks US $9.89 [0 bids]
38m 23s
BOB MARLEY Who Colt The Game 7" 45 rpm record + juke box title strip NEW RARE! US $26.42 Buy It Now 38m 45s
Live at the Royal Albert Hall by The Who (CD, Jun-2003, 3 Discs, Steamhammer) US $8.99 [0 bids]
39m 6s
THE WHO The Kids Are Alright BOOKLET INSERT US $9.99 Buy It Now 39m 43s
THE WHO...QUADROPHENIA...SOUNDTRACK FROM THE WHO FILM....2LPs US $10.00 [0 bids]
41m 4s
MIKE REILLY BAND who's been sleeping in my bed CD pure prairie league TAJ MAHAL US $39.99 Buy It Now 41m 28s
DEBORAH COX who do you love 12" 6 trk morales classic club mix double promo b/w US $8.45 Buy It Now 41m 43s
DEBORAH COX who do u love 12" 6 mixes (74321337941) pic sleeve european arista 1 US $8.45 Buy It Now 41m 44s
Who's Gonna Go Your Crooked Mile? by Peter Case (CD Sep-2004, Vanguard) PLZ READ US $5.95 Buy It Now 43m 55s
Vintage RCA Victor 45 Record Vinyl & Sleeve The Guess Who Laughing Undun 1969 US $10.00 [0 bids]
43m 59s
U KNOW WHO WHATCHA GOT A GUN FOR? FULL TAPE SEALED TEXAS RAP 1991 US $9.99 [1 bids]
44m 4s
Spike Jones - Dinner Music For People Who Aren't very Hungry - Rhino R170261 US $18.00 Buy It Now 44m 4s
JIMMY SMITH: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Jazz & Blues Verve V6-8583 LP) US $7.00 Buy It Now 45m 26s
THE GUESS WHO "The Greatest Of The Guess Who" RCA/3746-2-R (CD, 1988) US $5.99 Buy It Now 45m 30s
Who Cares - Out Of My Mind / Holy Water Enhanced US $3.99 Buy It Now 47m 14s
THE WHO-MY GENERATION-VERY BEST OF(CD,1996, MCA (USA) British Invasion Kinks US $1.99 [0 bids]
47m 14s
THE WHO - 5.15/WATER - RARE '73 UK 1ST PRESS/TRACK LBL/2094 115/EX+ US $6.17 Buy It Now 47m 17s
The Who : Wire & Glass: Six Songs From A Mini-Opera CD (2006) US $2.36 Buy It Now 49m 23s
The Who 45 Summertime Blues/Heaven & Hell 32709 US $4.95 Buy It Now 50m 9s
The Who Who Are You LP VG++ 1978 MCA-3050 Tan Label US $9.95 Buy It Now 50m 9s
Young Sicc Can I Take You Home? / Who's Dat 12" Single SEALED PROMO 2002 RARE US $24.95 Buy It Now 50m 10s
GUESS WHO'S COMING FOR DINNER: Original music by DeVol (soundtrack LP) US $19.00 Buy It Now 51m 41s
The Guess Who 45rpm Runnin' Down The Street 74-0367 US $4.95 Buy It Now 52m 34s
The Guess Who Rain Dance / One Divided 45 NM 74-0522 US $7.95 Buy It Now 52m 34s
Who's Next [LP] by Who (The MCA / Vg US $4.99 [1 bids]
53m 26s
JAMES LEE WILD who's got my number 12" 3 trk groove corp remix (jlwr2) pic sleev US $8.45 Buy It Now 53m 48s
JAMES LEE WILD who's got my number 12" 2 trk promo featuring 7 instrumental (jlw US $8.45 Buy It Now 53m 49s
Guess Who 39 Greatest Hits 1969-1974 2 CD set US $20.88 [0 bids]
53m 52s
NEW ! Modest Mouse Good News For People Who Love Bad News CD Music Band US $2.99 [0 bids]
54m 13s
WHO/JOHN ENTWISTLE SOLO MAD DOG ALBUM VINYL IS BEAUTIFUL! IN NM TO M- CONDITION US $10.75 [0 bids]
54m 33s
JAKI GRAHAM heaven knows 12" 3 trk extended version b/w who's making up your min US $8.45 Buy It Now 54m 55s
JAGUARO extasia 12" 4 trks, extasia, who's, extasia jungle and who's katy (amr00 US $8.45 Buy It Now 55m 25s
The Who Rarities 1970-1973 Vol. 2 LP Polydor Records Import! US $2.00 [0 bids]
55m 35s
78 RPM RECORD- THE FOUR LADS/ WHO NEEDS YOU / It's So Easy To Forget US $1.99 [0 bids]
56m 42s
THE GREATEST OF THE GUESS WHO CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
58m 4s
JOYCE SIMS who's crying now 12" 5 trk club mix b/w full length version,saxtrumen US $8.45 Buy It Now 58m 45s
Jesus Jones Who? Where? Why? 10" Vinyl P/S EX US $14.50 Buy It Now 58m 49s
Ozomatli Saturday Night / Who's To Blame 12" Single NM Concord PRO-CJ-0048 2004 US $7.95 Buy It Now 59m 13s
GUESS WHO-ROAD FOOD (CLAP FOR THE WOLFMAN)-RCA APL1-0405 NEW SEALED LP US $11.00 [0 bids]
59m 50s
Who We Are - Lifehouse New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $14.31 Buy It Now 59m 55s
Gavin Harrison & 05Ric/The Man Who Sold Himself - CD & DVD (Kscope 2012 E.U.) US $26.42 Buy It Now 1h
WHO, THE: Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy rock vinyl US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h
GUESS WHO, THE: Flavours (Rock & Pop Nimbus 9 CPL1-0636 VG+ Vinyl LP) US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h
PETER TOWNSHEND: Who Came First (Rock & Pop Track DL7-9189 Vinyl LP) US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h
6705 Who's Crying Now-Journey 45 rpm 7" single rock 1981 w/Pic Sleeve US $0.99 [0 bids]
UK Print Baktabak Records Who Are the Stones Rolling Stones Picture Disc BAK2109 US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
German Print Electrola Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are C 062-94 140 33 Vinyl US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
GUESS WHO, THE: #10 (rock VG+ vinyl LP APL1-0130) US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
MADONNA: Who's That Girl (Rock & Pop Sire 925 611-1 Vinyl LP) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
GUESS WHO, THE: Sing & Play The Guess Who (rock vinyl LP usa pressing) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
DEEP PURPLE: Who Do We Think We Are (rock vinyl LP BS-2678) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
The Who Live at Leeds LP EX/EX 1980 MCA-37000 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Hillsong Live - Glorious Ruins (CD & DVD 2 Discs, Digipak, AM) God Who Saves US $6.95 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Sharon, Lois & Bram Live in concert with The Mammoth Band 1982 1,2,3,4 Look Who' US $44.55 Buy It Now 1h 5m
WHO, THE: Self Titled (rock VG+ vinyl LP import) US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
GUESS WHO, THE: The Best of (rock vinyl LP LSPX-1004 CANADA) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
JERRY LEE LEWIS: Who's Gonna Play This Old Piano US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
DADDY COOL: Daddy Who? Daddy Gold Australian pressing rock US $45.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Become Who You Are by Mainstay (CD, 2007, BEC Recordings) CCM Rock US $1.49 [0 bids]
DeBarge NM 45 rpm "Rhythm Of The Night" b/w "Who's Holding Donna Now" US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
JOURNEY - Who's Crying Now / Mother, Father - 1981 picture sleeve - 45 rpm US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
The Who Live At Leeds - DECCA Records - LP - MG 712420 -1970 - Inserts - VG+/VG US $14.99 [0 bids]
45 RPM Record Isley Brothers Take Some Time Out For Love / Who Could Title Strip US $1.99 [0 bids]
8 Track Tape Cartridges Lot , The Who Fantastic, Eddy Arnold And Love US $9.99 [0 bids]
Two Sermons By Donald Grey Barnhouse: Who Died at Calvary? Your Right To Heaven US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Who Sell Out [Remaster] by The Who (CD, Jun-1995, MCA (USA)) US $3.00 [0 bids]
The Who Tommy Japan 2LP w/obi 35MM0071 / 71 Ultra Rare Who LP brand new sealed US $99.99 [0 bids]
It's Hard by The Who (vinyl, 1982) US $3.99 [0 bids]
DOO WOP ~ THE GENIES ~ SHAD (PINK LABEL) #5002 "WHO'S THAT KNOCKING" 1958 US $24.75 [0 bids]
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of The Who by The... US $2.99 [0 bids]
CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL TRAVELIN BAND / WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN 45 RPM SINGLE US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
NEW SEALED The Who LIVE at LEEDS Deluxe Edition 2 CD Recorded Feb 14, 1970 PROMO US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
ALAN PRICE SET-"THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT / WHO CARES"-Decca F12641-U. K. Press US $3.25 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Mama Cass on Dunhill Records. "Who's To Blame" US $2.00 [0 bids]
More Music from the Motion Picture Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me by... US $1.25 [0 bids]
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me by Original Soundtrack (CD, Jun-1999,... US $4.25 [0 bids]
RONI SIZE REPRAZEMENT Who Told You 2000 TALKIN LOUD UK PROMO Double Album US $14.99 [0 bids]
The Who THE WHO SELL OUT 180g AUDIOPHILE New Sealed Vinyl LP US $22.50 [0 bids]
The Man Who Knew Too Little by Christopher Young (CD, Nov-1997, VarŠse Sarabande US $19.99 [0 bids]
Jerry Lee Lewis-I'd Do It All Again/Who Will Buy The Wi US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 22m
THE WHO - WHO ARE YOU LP US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 22m
BEWARE OF DARKNESS - ALL WHO REMAIN RARE, PROMO CD-R, 1 TRACK US $0.95 [0 bids]
1980 Reissue CLASSIC ROCK The Who Live At Leeds Vintage LP MY GENERATION VG+/VG US $2.99 [0 bids]
VARIOUS WITH MADONNA/who's that girl/soundtrack sealed 1987 lp US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf Complete Film Plat Double LP US $7.00 [0 bids]
Ones Who Wait - Denison Witmer New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $18.40 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Girl Who Got Away 0887654423320, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $32.25 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Radio Show: FLASHBACK! 5/3/04 LED ZEPPELIN, SLADE, RAM JAM, HEART, WHO, CSN US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
BRAD PAISLEY, CD "WHO NEEDS PICTURES" US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Let The Blind Lead Those Who Cannot 0652637281125, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P US $26.02 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Who Is Jill Scott (uk) 5037300758671, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $21.47 Buy It Now 1h 34m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(33%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(50%)

THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B reviews

Review by fuxi
4 stars This is an extraordinary box set which introduces the listener to ALMOST all the best music the Who recorded between 1964 and 1994. When it came out I bought it immediately and I still remember how thrilled I was. As a long-time Who fan I found it incredibly exciting to have so many superb tracks in a single compilation, interspersed with bits of dialogue from Pete Townshend and wonderful snippets of 'Goon style comedy' from Keith Moon. Since the music is spread out over four CDs, the set contains much, much more than the usual hits and commercial highlights. The Who are also well represented at their most delicate and eccentric. For these reasons the set would make a near-ideal introduction to the newcomer. The voluminous photo book is attractive as well.

A look at the extensive track list will show you that all the band's classic singles are here, from "I Can't Explain" and "My Generation" to "Happy Jack" and "Pictures of Lily". The studio albums are well represented, too - particularly THE WHO SELL OUT, LIVE AT LEEDS, WHO'S NEXT, THE WHO BY NUMBERS and WHO ARE YOU, where the selection could hardly be bettered. WHO'S NEXT, the band's greatest album, is included almost in its entirety. For once, the sublime original version of "Pure and Easy" appears right between "Bargain" and "The Song is Over" - exactly where it should be. (I personally would have preferred to see the studio version of "My Wife" included, rather than a 1976 live performance, but I guess you can't have everything...) To their everlasting credit, the compilers also took the trouble to include a fair number of obscure but fascinating tracks such as "Disguises", "Girls' Eyes", "Jaguar", "Melancholia" and "Dogs", most of which had never before been released. ("Dogs" quickly developed into one of my all-time Who favourites!)

Any gripes with this set, then? Well sure, I've got plenty!!!

1. Among the early tracks, why has the crisp studio version of "Substitute" been replaced with the LIVE AT LEEDS version (as on some earlier compilations)? This seems anachronistic and plain wrong.

2. "A Quick One, While He's Away", as represented here, is a patch-up of the original studio version and (during the finale) the live version from the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus. (Thus allowing the compilers to state, rather misleadingly, on the back of the box, that their version is 'previously unreleased'.) I'll gladly admit the Who's Rock and Roll Circus performance was one of their greatest triumphs, but this kind of approach neither does justice to the studio version, nor to the live version.

3. I can't help thinking QUADROPHENIA (a clear favourite with many proggers) has been shabbily dealt with. Why are only four tracks represented here? Why is there no trace of "The Punk and the Godfather", "I've Had Enough" or "I'm One" when the compilers DID find space for less exciting tracks from an earlier project, such as "Join Together" and "Relay", and (even more disappointingly) for those turgid 1980s live versions of "Twist and Shout" and "I'm a Man"? And, most of all: why include a terribly pedestrian 1979 run-through of "The Real Me" featuring Kenney Jones, when the original studio recording (with Keith Moon) is one of the band's most explosive performances?

4. Finally, as a secret admirer of the 1982 IT'S HARD, I can't help wondering why the only track that always gets chosen from that album is the soporific "Eminence Front". I much prefer the sprightly "Athena" and the dramatic closing number "Cry If You Want".

In spite of my complaints, I feel this set provides a splendid overview of the best part of the Who's career, so if you can find it at a reasonable price, you should have no qualms about purchasing it.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#746313) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012

Post a review of THE WHO "Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B"