THIRTY YEARS OF MAXIMUM R&B

7. Behind Blue Eyes
8. Won't Get Fooled Again
9. The Seeker [Edit]
10. Bony Maronie [Live]
11. Let's See Action (Nothing Is Everything)
12. Join Together

- Roger Daltry / vocals
- John Entwistle / bass, horns, vocals
- Kenney Jones / drums

4CD Polydor/MCA (1994)

Thanks to Evolver for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B Music

Who's Better Who's BestWho's Better Who's Best
Mca 1993
Tony Bennett "Who Can I Turn To"/ "The Shadow Of You Smile"Columbia 33099 RE EX US $7.00 Buy It Now 29m 38s
CYNECYDE Who Goes There? LP Tremor Tr-8806 Punk Record Og NM in shrink US $24.99 Buy It Now 29m 41s
The Guess Who Born In Canada 1970 US LP Record WDS 691 VG/EX! US $4.00 [0 bids]
29m 45s
STATLER BROTHERS "WHO AM I TO SAY / I DREAMED ABOUT YOU" 45 US $1.50 Buy It Now 29m 46s
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Alex North Soundtrack LP Warner Bros Og WLPromo US $50.00 Buy It Now 29m 50s
Who I Am by Alan Jackson (CD, Jun-1994, Arista) US $0.99 [0 bids]
30m 34s
JEFFREY OSBORNE "YOU SHOULD BE MINE / WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED" 45w/PS MINT US $3.75 Buy It Now 31m 7s
MARY HOPKIN "KNOCK KNOCK WHO'S THERE" 45 APPLE MINT UNPLAYED US $3.00 Buy It Now 31m 7s
The Who Live: "Collector's Item"-- Original "Contra Band" LP: SEALED US $199.00 Buy It Now 31m 45s
GUESS WHO "HAND ME DOWN WORLD" 45 MINT US $5.75 Buy It Now 31m 54s
Lot Of 2 Who Tommy Odds & Soda LP Records US $0.99 [0 bids]
33m 38s
DeBARGE "WHO'S JOHNNY / LOVE IN A SPECIAL WAY" 45w/PS MINT US $2.75 Buy It Now 34m 27s
EURYTHMICS "WHO'S THAT GIRL / AQUA" 45w/PS US $3.00 Buy It Now 34m 27s
GAYLORDS "WHO'S GONNA TAKE YOU TO THE PROM" 45 MINT US $5.75 Buy It Now 34m 27s
ARETHA FRANKLIN "WHO'S ZOOMIN WHO / ANOTHER NIGHT" 45 OLDIE MINT UNPLAYED US $3.75 Buy It Now 34m 27s
ALAN JACKSON, WHO I AM CASSETTE US $0.99 [0 bids]
34m 49s
A Quick One (Happy Jack) - The Who LP US $2.99 [1 bids]
34m 50s
The Who/Who Are You/Original Vinyl Record LP/MCA 3050 US $12.99 Buy It Now 35m 8s
The Who/Its Hard/Original Vinyl/1 23731 US $9.99 Buy It Now 35m 8s
R B GREAVES "WHO'S WATCHING THE BABY / THE GODS WATCH IT ALL" 45 NEAR MINT US $4.75 Buy It Now 35m 39s
JACKIE MOORE "WHO'S NEXT WHO'S NOW / SINGING FUNKY MUSIC TURNS ME ON" 45 MINT US $5.00 Buy It Now 36m 35s
JELLYBEAN "WHO FOUND WHO / THE REAL THING" 45 NEAR MINT US $3.00 Buy It Now 36m 35s
GUESS WHO "LOVES ME LIKE A BROTHER / HOE DOWN TIME" 45 MINT US $5.75 Buy It Now 36m 35s
GUESS WHO SHAKIN' ALL OVER SCEPTER PYSCH ROCK 45 US $8.00 Buy It Now 36m 43s
ARETHA FRANKLIN WHO'S ZOOMIN' WHO? 1985 vinyl LP Arista AL8-8266 MINT! US $14.88 Buy It Now 37m 27s
LINDA HEAD "TROUBLE AGAIN / I WONDER WHO'S HOLDING MY BABY TONIGHT" 45 US $2.50 Buy It Now 37m 46s
TOM JONES "I (WHO HAVE NOTHING) " 45 US $3.75 Buy It Now 37m 46s
LIBERATED WAILING WALL who hath believed our report LP VG+ Jews For Jesus US $6.00 Buy It Now 38m 30s
Tommy - The Who 2xLP w lyric booklet Decca US $5.99 [0 bids]
38m 33s
NICK HOWARD - STAY WHO YOU ARE * - NEW CD US $42.76 Buy It Now 38m 42s
The Who, Tommy Audio CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 39m 7s
BO DONALDSON & HEYWOODS "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE / FOOL'S WAY OF LOVIN" 45 US $2.50 Buy It Now 40m 23s
THE WHO "SQUEEZE BOX / SUCCESS STORY" 45 US $2.75 Buy It Now 40m 23s
LARSEN-FEITEN BAND "WHO'LL BE THE FOOL TONIGHT" 45 MINT UNPLAYED US $4.75 Buy It Now 41m 5s
TONY BENNETT "WHO CAN I TURN TO / WALTZ FOR DEBBY" 45 US $3.75 Buy It Now 41m 5s
EURYTHMICS "WHO'S THAT GIRL" 45 MINT US $5.75 Buy It Now 42m
FOUR SEASONS "WHO LOVES YOU / DISCO VERSION" 45 US $2.75 Buy It Now 42m
JOURNEY "WHO'S CRYING NOW / MOTHER FATHER" 45/wPS US $3.50 Buy It Now 42m
The Guess Who Live Very Nice SALE Over 400 fair priced LP's US $4.50 Buy It Now 42m 2s
Bill Gaither Trio--Bless The Lord Who Reigns In Beauty 1981 Viny US $9.00 Buy It Now 42m 27s
ISLEY BROTHERS "WHO LOVES YOU BETTER / PART 2" 45 MINT US $4.75 Buy It Now 42m 48s
Glad--Who Do You Love1987 Christian Pop CCM Vinyl LP Record US $9.00 Buy It Now 43m 31s
Who's Next - The Who LP MCA Black Label NM US $3.99 [1 bids]
43m 59s
The Guess Who "Hand Me Down World" / "Runnin' Down The Street" 7" SINGLE US $0.99 [0 bids]
46m 56s
Who's Next - The Who LP MCA BLUE Label NM- US $3.99 [0 bids]
48m 24s
Very Rare Willie Hatcher Soul Good Things Come To Those Who Wait/Searching 45 US $125.00 Buy It Now 49m 3s
Keith Stegall The Fool Who Fooled Around/promo copy 45 (C244) US $0.49 [0 bids]
51m 26s
Q-Unique ?- One Shot / Me That's Who (12" Vinyl) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $4.00 Buy It Now 52m 12s
Circle Research ?- Who? Album LP (12" Vinyl) US $19.00 Buy It Now 52m 12s
By Numbers - The Who LP IN SHRINK NM MCA Black Label US $5.99 [0 bids]
53m
Project Blowed - Who The F*ck Is You? (12" Vinyl) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $3.00 Buy It Now 53m 29s
Tajai ?- The Dum Dum / Who Got It? (12" Vinyl) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $3.00 Buy It Now 55m 22s
By Numbers - The Who LP VG+ MCA Black Label US $3.99 [0 bids]
55m 31s
16 Cassettes Box-The Who,The Kinks,Herman's Hermits,The Moody Blues,The Hollies US $41.99 [0 bids]
55m 52s
THE WHO sell out JAPAN MINI LP CD PETE TOWNSHEND 24BIT SEALED US $39.99 Buy It Now 55m 56s
PETE TOWNSHEND deep end live +2 JAPAN MINI LP CD THE WHO SEALED US $16.99 Buy It Now 55m 56s
SPEEDY KEEN Previous Convictions 1973 orig SEALED LP Thunderclap Newman The Who US $3.95 Buy It Now 56m 5s
The Who Who's Greatest Hits Pete Townshend MCA-5408 (1496) LP US $6.00 [0 bids]
57m 8s
Who Are You - The Who LP MCA cream & tan label US $3.99 [0 bids]
58m 54s
Harlan Howard - Sunday Morning Christian / That Little Boy Who Follows Me VG+ US $1.99 Buy It Now 59m 1s
John Robinson ?- Who Is This Man? Album LP (12" Vinyl) US $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Ellay Khule ?- Who's Killing Hip-Hop? (12" Vinyl) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Liberated Wailing Wall--Who Hath Believed Our Report? 1979 LP Messianic XIAN US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
THE WHO "Who's Missing" PROMO CASSETTE TAPE US EX 1985 MCA US $3.98 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Freddy J - Who Am I - Sanman - Goldie - Tammie - D.C. - New CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
THE WHO - RARITIES (VOLUME 1) 1966 - 1968 - POLYDOR RECORDS LP IMPORT US $18.50 Buy It Now 1h 3m
10 Great Songs: Who Let the Dogs Out * by Baha Men Brand New US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Who Are You - The Who LP MCA CANADA RED VINYL US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO - WHO-LA-HOOP (RARE 2LP) US $38.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
RARE Madonna "Let's Do It" Who's That Girl Concert CD - Italy - Rec. in Japan US $49.99 [0 bids]
CORMEGA - WHO AM I NEW CD US $20.61 Buy It Now 1h 6m
The Who - The High Numbers~The First Complete Rock Opera Vinyl Double LP US $39.00 [0 bids]
Substitute The Songs Of The Who by Various Artists New US $5.59 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy (Greatest Hits ) - The Who LP IN SHRINK MCA blue lab US $4.99 [0 bids]
CD Album. TRAVIS. - THE MAN WHO. US $8.47 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Michele Pillar--Look Who Loves You Now 1983 CCM Vinyl Larry Carlton Sheila Walsh US $9.50 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Guess Who Flavours LP sealed US $8.00 [0 bids]
Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy (Greatest Hits ) - The Who LP MCA blue label NM- US $3.99 [0 bids]
Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? [Bonus Tracks] [PA] [Remaster] by Megadeth... US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO Who Are You NM- MCA-3050 Pete Townsend Roger Daltrey No Bar Code US $14.95 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy (Greatest Hits ) - The Who LP DECCA GATEFOLD US $3.99 [0 bids]
MADONNA WHO'S THAT GIRL SIRE DANCE 12" US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
* THE WHO "HOOLIGANS" MCA 1981 DOUBLE LP EXCELLENT VINYL LP ALBUM* US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
ZOOM PLATINUM KARAOKE DISC CDZMP111 HITS OF THE WHO VOL 1 CD+G US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Smash Your Head Against The Wall - John Entwistle LP GATEFOLD DECCA The Who solo US $6.99 [0 bids]
Dido: Girl who got away - Deluxe Edition (2013) 2CD TAIWAN US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Bonfire - Who's Foolin' Who (CD, 2000, BMG Ariola Miller GmbH, Germany) US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
THE WHO tommy 2 LP VG+ DXSW 7205 Stereo USA w/Book Decca Original 1969 Record US $25.50 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Inga " Its only love" Iknow who i am" LP VG+ RCA/AFL13499 US $4.76 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Paul Smith--"Back To Who I Am" (5:36) 1989 45 RPM 7" Imperials US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Rigor Mortis Sets In - John Entwistle LP GATEFOLD The Who solo US $5.99 [0 bids]
WHO / BBC SESSIONS JAPAN CD OOP W/OBI US $21.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
WHO / ULTIMATE COLLECTION JAPAN 2CD OOP W/OBI US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Mad Dog - John Entwistle 's OX LP w POSTER/lyric insert The Who solo US $3.99 [0 bids]
ROMEL MORALEZ WHO THE HELL IS ROMEL MORALEZ G.R.P.OFFICIAL RARE PRIVATE RAP 12" US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
+ Nick Howard - Who Fell In Love? CD Single 6trk excellent condition US $5.51 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Too Late The Hero - John Entwistle Joe Walsh LP IMPORT NEW ZEALAND The Who solo US $7.99 [0 bids]
Who I Am by Alan Jackson (CD, Jun-1994, Arista) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Korn III: Remember Who You Are [Special Edition] [CD/DVD] [PA] [Digipak] [CD... US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Korn III: Remember Who You Are [Special Edition] [PA] by Korn (CD, Jul-2010,... US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(33%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(50%)

THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B reviews

Review by fuxi
4 stars This is an extraordinary box set which introduces the listener to ALMOST all the best music the Who recorded between 1964 and 1994. When it came out I bought it immediately and I still remember how thrilled I was. As a long-time Who fan I found it incredibly exciting to have so many superb tracks in a single compilation, interspersed with bits of dialogue from Pete Townshend and wonderful snippets of 'Goon style comedy' from Keith Moon. Since the music is spread out over four CDs, the set contains much, much more than the usual hits and commercial highlights. The Who are also well represented at their most delicate and eccentric. For these reasons the set would make a near-ideal introduction to the newcomer. The voluminous photo book is attractive as well.

A look at the extensive track list will show you that all the band's classic singles are here, from "I Can't Explain" and "My Generation" to "Happy Jack" and "Pictures of Lily". The studio albums are well represented, too - particularly THE WHO SELL OUT, LIVE AT LEEDS, WHO'S NEXT, THE WHO BY NUMBERS and WHO ARE YOU, where the selection could hardly be bettered. WHO'S NEXT, the band's greatest album, is included almost in its entirety. For once, the sublime original version of "Pure and Easy" appears right between "Bargain" and "The Song is Over" - exactly where it should be. (I personally would have preferred to see the studio version of "My Wife" included, rather than a 1976 live performance, but I guess you can't have everything...) To their everlasting credit, the compilers also took the trouble to include a fair number of obscure but fascinating tracks such as "Disguises", "Girls' Eyes", "Jaguar", "Melancholia" and "Dogs", most of which had never before been released. ("Dogs" quickly developed into one of my all-time Who favourites!)

Any gripes with this set, then? Well sure, I've got plenty!!!

1. Among the early tracks, why has the crisp studio version of "Substitute" been replaced with the LIVE AT LEEDS version (as on some earlier compilations)? This seems anachronistic and plain wrong.

2. "A Quick One, While He's Away", as represented here, is a patch-up of the original studio version and (during the finale) the live version from the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus. (Thus allowing the compilers to state, rather misleadingly, on the back of the box, that their version is 'previously unreleased'.) I'll gladly admit the Who's Rock and Roll Circus performance was one of their greatest triumphs, but this kind of approach neither does justice to the studio version, nor to the live version.

3. I can't help thinking QUADROPHENIA (a clear favourite with many proggers) has been shabbily dealt with. Why are only four tracks represented here? Why is there no trace of "The Punk and the Godfather", "I've Had Enough" or "I'm One" when the compilers DID find space for less exciting tracks from an earlier project, such as "Join Together" and "Relay", and (even more disappointingly) for those turgid 1980s live versions of "Twist and Shout" and "I'm a Man"? And, most of all: why include a terribly pedestrian 1979 run-through of "The Real Me" featuring Kenney Jones, when the original studio recording (with Keith Moon) is one of the band's most explosive performances?

4. Finally, as a secret admirer of the 1982 IT'S HARD, I can't help wondering why the only track that always gets chosen from that album is the soporific "Eminence Front". I much prefer the sprightly "Athena" and the dramatic closing number "Cry If You Want".

In spite of my complaints, I feel this set provides a splendid overview of the best part of the Who's career, so if you can find it at a reasonable price, you should have no qualms about purchasing it.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#746313) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012

Post a review of THE WHO "Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B"