A HISTORY OF MADNESS

Buy THINKING PLAGUE Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Blown Apart (8:35)
2. Consolamentum (4:02)
3. Rapture of the Deep (5:59)
4. Gúdamy le Máyagot (An Phocainn Theard... (2:54)
5. Marching as to War, No. 1 performed by Thinking Plague / Ladies Senior Piano Crusade (1:22)
6. Our -Way of Life- and -War on Terra (5:23)
7. Marching, No. 2 (0:41)
8. Least Aether for Saxophone & Le Gouffre (8:52)
9. The Underground Stream (6:02)
10. Marching, No. 3 (0:47)
11. Lux Lucet (9:36)
12. Marching, No. 4 - Reverie for the Children (1:00)

Search THINKING PLAGUE A History of Madness lyrics

- Dave Kerman / percussion
- Leslie Jordan / voice
- Mark McCoin / samples and treatments

CUNEIFORM 12/55'20

THINKING PLAGUE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THINKING PLAGUE A History of Madness Music

In This LifeIn This Life
Recommended Records 1995
Upon Both Your HousesUpon Both Your Houses
NEARFest Records 2006

More places to buy THINKING PLAGUE music online Buy THINKING PLAGUE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THINKING PLAGUE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THINKING PLAGUE A History of Madness ratings distribution

THINKING PLAGUE A History of Madness reviews

Review by Atavachron
4 stars Unreasonably difficult and stinking of something gone bad in the corner is Thinking Plague's fifth... it's only later you begin noticing the strong jazz underpinnings easily missed, the high level of musicianship masked by odd moods and settings, and clear if stark visions of a music liberated from even its own Avant Garde origins. Mike Johnson plays acoustic and electric guitars for these gypsys and also handles bazouki and various light percussion, carried just right by Matt Mitchell with his buggy piano and synths, Mark Harris on reeds, Dave Willey's bass and ants-in-your-pants accordion, Deborah Perry's unstable and brainsick soughing, and of course the drums of Dave Shamrock. Plus six others handling everything from trumpets and fiddles to bass, samples and percussives. 'Blown Apart' with its jazz lines, Perry's unglued triplets and Mike Johnson's irritated plucking breaks into a great monster of a jam for the second half of this 8-minute opener. 'Consolamentum' and 'Rapture of the Deep' are pure nut house, and 'Gudamy Le Mayagot' shreds, wriggling under your skin with a mad fiddle from Jean Harrison. More of this in 'The Underground Stream' and pianist Matt Mitchell outdoing himself with a tremendous opera seria piano passage, and 'Lux Lucet' is a standout, edging this distraught record past typical avant prog. Faint influences from the Crims and Univers Zero but not much like either and though it contains a lot of hidden beauty, this is one bad acid trip of modern experimentalism and will surely piss you off.

Send comments to Atavachron (BETA) | Report this review (#135118) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 27, 2007

4 stars This one is a lot different then their last one "In Extremis". I really enjoyed "In Extremis", in fact it's one of my favourite Rio / Avant albums. "A History Of Madness" isn't as melodic, it's sombre, melancholic and more acoustic. This was a little difficult to digest actually but there are some passages I love. Even Deborah's vocals are more serious and monotone. Unfortunately Dave Kerman is reduced to a percussion role, but at least we have former SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM drummer David Shamrock taking his place behind the kit.

"Blown Apart" really has it's focus on the vocals that are at times mechanical-like and at other times used to sing melodies. There is some good guitar, drums and percussion in this one that turns pastoral for the last 3 minutes. "Consolamentum" features vocals that are both soft and reserved, while heavy drums pound. The tempo picks up with some aggressive guitar towards the latter half of the song. ""Rapture Of The Deep(for Leslie)" has some beautiful acoustic guitar melodies with gentle vocals coming in. The vocal melodies are great and some heaviness is added 4 minutes in. Amazing tune. "Gudamy Le Mayagot" is a mixed bag with tempo changes, accordion and harmonium. "Marching As To War, No.1" along with the other four "Marching" songs that make up that suite, are made up of piano melodies and are around a minute in length. They make up songs 5, 7,10 and 12.

"Our Way Of Life And War On Terra" is divided into two parts, the first "Our Way Of Life" being dominated by vocal melodies and angular guitar. While the second half "War On Terra" is really a soundscape of eerie sounds. "Least Aether For Saxaphone & Le Gouffre" opens with these sombre sax melodies that are slowly played. There is an applause as it ends after 3 1/2 minutes. Next is the sound of running water and then we get a haunting soundscape of eerie sounds that reminded me of "Saucerful Of Secrets" . "The Underground Stream" is a top three for me on this disc. Gentle guitar, vocals, horns and accordion all create such a fine sound. It seems like there is so much going on. Piano comes in after 3 minutes sounding like a stream. A full sound arrives 5 minutes in as drums and vocals lead the way. "Lux Lucet" is the other top three track for me. It changes and evolves throughout with different moods and tempo changes. A good beat at times with some angular guitar. Just a feast really.

This really is a trip. Where do these guys come up with the ideas ? Amazing album

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#149353) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 06, 2007

5 stars I am suprised by the relatively low rating for this album, I thought it would be well over a 4. This album isn't necessarily heavy, and would probably suit an audience that prefers Gentle Giantisms and Henry Cowisms as opposed to King Crimsonisms. You can kind of chill out to this album, if havi ... (read more)

Report this review (#170309) | Posted by kabright | Friday, May 09, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars In terms of score this is a 4.5. Much as I like it it's not a masterpiece, but it's very close. This is the first Thinking Plague album I heard and whilst many people said get "In Extremis" first, and which I ordered first, but "A History of Madness" arrived first, I figured I'd listen to it m ... (read more)

Report this review (#82528) | Posted by x_bruce | Monday, July 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I think, Thinking Plague (what a great name!) is a merger of the concepts of Relayer-Yes, Western-Culture- Henry Cow, Interview-Gentle Giant, probably a litte Gravity-/Speechless-Fred Frith and of ... only mastermind and master guitar player Mike Johnson could explain. And what develops from th ... (read more)

Report this review (#79461) | Posted by Cometa Rossa | Friday, May 26, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I'm afraid "A History of Madness" doesn't reach the heights of 'In Extremis' in terms of consistency and overall compositional quality - although one might argue that it doesn't really aspire to. After all, despite a similar cover, this is quite a different work, mostly due to the co ... (read more)

Report this review (#70293) | Posted by Pafnutij | Thursday, February 23, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Blown apart - blown away. That's what I felt when I came to know this album, a couple of years ago. (This review is edited in August 2009). I was thrilled by the contemporary music ideas and techniques assimilated in a wonderful rock creation, I was entranced by the sheer beauty all over, and I w ... (read more)

Report this review (#50641) | Posted by ShW1 | Friday, October 07, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The intrumental arrangements show a development from previous albums - more subtle, more diverse; however, the score for voice lacks the inspirations we find on the previous albums; at the end of the album I get a sense of "dullness" because of this, end therefore I do not get that often back ... (read more)

Report this review (#23865) | Posted by | Monday, April 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THINKING PLAGUE "A History of Madness "