KIND OF RED

4. Sunday Image (6:01)
5. Salon Bleu (5:32)
6. Terasso (1:07)
7. Tortugas (7:33)
8. Lost in Jakriborg (4:28)

Total time 43:35

- Klaus Thrane / drums
With:
- Louise Nipper / voice
- Jan Fischer / voice

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE Kind of Red Music

Worn OutWorn Out
CD Baby 2013
Kind of RedKind of Red
Imports 2012

More places to buy TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE music online Buy TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE Kind of Red ratings distribution

TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE Kind of Red reviews

Review by Windhawk
4 stars Danish ensemble TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE is basically the band of prolific composer and multi-instrumentalist Robin Taylor. At the time of writing he has just about 30 productions tied to his name, of which 11 have been albums issued under the Taylor's Universe moniker. "Kind of Red" is the most recent of them, and also the most recent of Taylor's overall endeavors so far.

Taylor's Universe has been a project that has provided high quality productions to a limited but dedicated fan base ever since 1994. And with "Kind of Red" I'm pretty sure that this fan base will expand. First and foremost because the music this time around is subtly more accessible in nature, or perhaps slightly less demanding, one might say, yet also maintaining Taylor's qualities as an innovator and creator of music hard to place and harder to categorize. It's a production well worth seeking out by fans of instrumental progressive rock, and in particular those who tend to be fascinated by artists venturing into realms where few others have imagined going.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#716733) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 08, 2012

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars On August 17th 1959, Miles Davis released probably the most important jazz record of all-time, 'A Kind Of Blue'. In November 1974 King Crimson released their final album before being disbanded, 'Red'. So is this album a mixture of the two? Or am I being somewhat simplistic or reading something into the title that isn't there? Having played this album numerous times I have come to the decision that maybe I am right after all. Take the second song, "Jakriborg"; there are some strong guitar lines that Fripp would be proud of ? possibly some of the most direct from Robin himself on any of his albums ? yet there is some wonderfully fluid trumpet and a real feeling that a 'progression' for Robin.

I have been lucky enough to hear the vast majority of Robin's albums, whether solo, his free jazz group Taylor's Free Universe, as well as Taylor's Universe but for his thirtieth album he has brought together a group that musically has as much in common with VDGG, King Crimson and even Faust as they do with Miles. There are some incredibly simple yet poignant sections such as the syncopated rhythms in "Firestone", melodies that are repeated and are extremely effective, leading to gentle keyboards (is that a Hammond I hear?) that brings to mind memories of Procul Harum before the trumpet takes a more centre stage.

The more I listened the more progressive influences I could spot, with Colosseum being particularly noticeable, but this is way more than just a cobbling together of different styles in the vain hope that it will produce something listenable: there is a real structure and layering of the instruments that shows that a master arranger has been at work to produce music that is complex yet incredibly melodic and easy to listen to at the same time.

When artists are prolific it is sometimes hard to know where to start ? I avoided Zappa for years as I felt that I needed a guide (in the end I just plunged in and am so glad that I did) ? and Taylor is a case in point. But take it from me this is an incredible album ? if you have ever enjoyed Robin's work in the past then this is something you will need to have, and if you have yet to start investigating then the time to do so is now.

This is five stars in anyone's language ? incredible.

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#731361) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Review by b_olariu
3 stars His lates album to date , issued in february this year 2012 named Kind of red with a very intresting cover art is another good album from him, but is my least fav from his last 5 albums or so. The amound of sax is bigger then on his last 2-3 albums and in places is very usual for my ears. Another change in line up, with Hugh Steinmetz on trumped added. Taylor's Universe music is not easy to listening, is hard to get into, but when you get undernith anyone will be fascinating by the quite original ideas brought into prog rock music in last two decades. I said that this latest album is my least fav, because here , he really uses almost all the ideashad on previous work annd adding a more doze of sax and horn arrangements, but keeping the rest of the instrument on fire aswell. Not a pieces is in front, maybe Tortugas being among the best from here, all are ok, but far from the greatness of previous albums. Anyway Taylor's Universe music must be discoverd by many prog fans as possible, some of the album really worth to be investigated. 3 stars

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#847438) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 31, 2012

4 stars NOW!, this is a great RIO/AG album, daring, proposing, not trying to make any kind of statement, just impeccable, sensibly executed, original song-written music. More in the natural borderline of A.V. Jazz,, not merely because of the instruments, also composition-wise. Why it is not in the Prog-J ... (read more)

Report this review (#1026867) | Posted by admireArt | Sunday, September 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Avante-garde, free-floating, saxophone, horror/fun house. These are all words/phrases I think of when listening to this album. I'm not even sure what genre to classify this as, so avante-garde will do. This is my first time listening to this band, although they have been around for some time now, wi ... (read more)

Report this review (#848884) | Posted by Puppies On Acid | Thursday, November 01, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Robin Taylor's new album,released in 2012-KIND OF RED-proves-once again,if necessary- how intelligent and adventurous prog music should sound today!Definitelly,the author of this album knows very well the fact that music should be always intriguing and full of surprises- that's why this excelle ... (read more)

Report this review (#719072) | Posted by Ovidiu | Monday, April 09, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE "Kind of Red"