THE WAIT

Experimental/Post Metal

Nauticus The Wait album cover

Buy NAUTICUS Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. Constructing the Liquid Plains (8:28)
2. Ascend (6:54)
3. A Delayed End (7:59)
4. The Route (7:26)
5. Their Whereabouts (2:29)
6. Bone Dams (9:03)
7. As Barriers Fall (5:50)
8. Kalmisto (11:22)

- Antti Loponen / Backing vocals, chants, keyboard, 12-string acoustic guitar
- Kari Mäkiranta / Piano and Organ
- Satu Kastell / Violin, Viola
- Teemu Mastovaara / Cello

Nauticus self-released in February 2012.

Thanks to NecronCommander for the addition
and to aapatsos for the last updates

NAUTICUS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NAUTICUS The Wait Music

More places to buy NAUTICUS music online Buy NAUTICUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NAUTICUS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NAUTICUS The Wait ratings distribution

NAUTICUS The Wait reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars NAUTICUS comes from Turku, Finland. Also their debut A Wave to Carry Us Over (2009) is sadly without any reviews or even ratings. I hope those who appreciate this genre - and Metal in general - more than me will find this strong band. I'll come to the negative aspects of my own reception later, first I do my my best to give an objective picture, with my limited understanding of all Metal music. Music is mostly written by drummer Tuomas Rajala and all lyrcis are by vocalist Jani Rämö. In the recording, mixing and production the group was helped by Antti Loponen, the visionaire behind one- man Alternative Metal band Consciuousness Removal Project.

The nearly an hour-long album is an ambitious conceptual work that was done "furiously within a period of two and a half years. An apocalypctical lyrical theme flows through an experimental, psychedelical and visionary landscape of rock, metal and alternative." I sense the full devotion and I believe some might even consider this a masterpiece of the subgenre. The tension is very strong, the mood is dark and dystopic but not totally devastating. In the sound especially the powerful, complex drumming and the angst-fuelled vocals steal the attention. The main group doesn't feature keyboard player but there are some keys involved. The two guitarists are not trying to act like attention-starving guitar heroes, instead they always serve the whole. I appreciate the absence of more typical Metal elements of high speed and technically oriented "X notes per second" approach, and the existence of even delicate nuances in the playing. But to me personally this album is too depressing, and the unmelodic compositions feel flat and samey even if they aren't necessarily that.

Thankfully there are two instrumentals, the short 'Their Whereabouts' which is rather calm soundscape experiment, and the 11-minute closer 'Kalmisto' (an old-fashioned word for graveyard) which for me is the clear highlight with the dominance of piano and acoustic guitar. A beautiful track in its melancholia.

At first I was feeling almost angry by this music, mostly because of the angst growl in the vocals. That's one thing I simply can't stand in Metal music. But now I'm anyway glad I managed to write a decent review outside my comfort zone. After all, this is worth recommendations.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#1243485) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 11, 2014

Post a review of NAUTICUS "The Wait"