I WANT YOU TO GET BACK HOME

Mr. Gil

Mr. Gil I Want You to Get Back Home album cover

Buy MR. GIL Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. Time (It's not the end) (4:26)
2. Our Shoes (3:24)
3. In Your Heart (6:02)
4. Find Me (5:03)
5. Change Your Name (5:49)
6. Fix My Arms (4:35)

- Mirek Gil / guitars
- Karol Wróblewski / vocals
- Konrad Wantrych / piano, keyboards
- Paulina Druch / cello

Metal Mind Productions (MMP CD 0705 DG)

Released 4 June 2012 - Europe, 10 July 2012 - USA

Thanks to windhawk for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

MR. GIL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Come Home I Want You to Get Back Home, 2012

Buy MR. GIL I Want You to Get Back Home Music

More places to buy MR. GIL music online Buy MR. GIL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MR. GIL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MR. GIL I Want You to Get Back Home ratings distribution

MR. GIL I Want You to Get Back Home reviews

Review by Windhawk
3 stars MR. GIL is one of the creative vehicles for Polish composer and guitarist Mirek Gil. Initially set up in 1998, this band-project was revived as a recording venture in 2010 following a decade or so of silence. "I Want You to Get Back Home" is their fourth production, and was released by Metal Mind in the spring of 2012.

Mr. Gil's latest album "I Want You to Get Back Home" isn't one that will appeal to dedicated fans of progressive rock, as it is a production rather far removed form this stylistic universe. But if gentle melancholic ballads are dear to you, and you tend to enjoy a blend of high quality lead vocals and melancholic cello supplemented by careful acoustic guitar and piano then this effort is one you should check out. It is a fine example of this type of music, and should have a broad appeal, in particular amongst a mainstream oriented audience.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#781249) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 02, 2012

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Soothing

Mr. Gil is essentially a vehicle for the solo output of Believe (and ex-Collage) guitarist Mirek Gil. Gil has been releasing albums under the Mr. Gil name since 1998, with three of the four to date appearing in the last 3 years. Gil is not someone who insists on doing everything by himself, but brings in suitable musicians for each album according to the style and mood he intends to capture. That said, the line up here is unchanged from the previous album "Light an sound".

"I want you to get back home" is a soft, melodic set of songs linked by a common theme of a homecoming, and the challenges which come along with the joy of such an event. To convey the required atmosphere on this occasion, Gil calls upon gifted vocalist Karol Wróblewski (Believe), keyboards player Konrad Wantrych (Believe) and Cellist Paulina Druch. Wantrych's duties are largely confined to piano, with even Gil's fine lead guitar playing being relatively rare. Also notable is the absence of a rhythm section (bass or drums) although drums do make a fleeting appearance on the final song "Come home". Indeed it is mainly Wróblewski who is allowed to shine here, his delicate vocals (his vocals here, and indeed the mood of the album, reminds me of Mick Stubbs work with the fine band Home) being exactly what is demanded by the nine songs on the album.

Rarely does the music become intrusive, this an album to be savoured in a dimly lit room when the opportunity arises to let time go lightly. The combination of cello and piano which prevails throughout is soothing rather than challenging, allowing the mind to wander while absorbing the mood.

Fans of Believe and indeed Collage will already be aware of the emphasis placed by those bands on melody and musicianship. They should not however expect references to the fine neo-prog in which those bands specialise. This project is about as far removed musically from that genre as it is possible to be. What prevails throughout though is Gil's passion for his music, and his ongoing ability to create genuinely captivating albums.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#785972) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars Every Mr Gil album has been dramatically unlike the one preceding it, and "I Want to get You Back Home" maintains that level of consistency in flux. While his other recordings traced lineage to the top notch neo prog from whence he came, this one is a uniformly soft rock venture, an eclectic synthesis of romantic music from the crooners to the big hair bands, waving at 1970s sensitive singer songwriters along the way, and beyond.

The instrumentation is rarefied, mostly piano and cello, with Karol Wróblewski's vocals that continue to improve with each release, and which play a more important role than ever on this song oriented offering. Gil is obviously a fan of a wide variety of music and prefers to indulge all of it in his increasingly noteworthy career, and here his guitars take a back seat to the others as he focuses on songwriting and meticulous arranging. I have a few favourites - "Time", "Find Me", and "Good Night", but yours are just as likely to be different.

While lovely in its own right, it's not an album to inspire awe whether you are a progressive purist or not, but an album to appreciate during quiet times at home. Don't bother syncing it to your ipod or bringing it into the car. This is a homebody.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#880293) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 22, 2012

4 stars Fans of Mirek Gil's dramatic electric guitar solos might be surprised by this album of lite jazz- rock songs more in the vein of some of Paul Weller's STYLE COUNCIL albums. I know I was/am! But, I LOVE IT! Piano-based, cello throughout, great vocals, and lots of catchy melodies and beautiful ... (read more)

Report this review (#777925) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Tuesday, June 26, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MR. GIL "I Want You to Get Back Home"